PDA

View Full Version : MLax: HUGE News

burnspbesq
05-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Inside Lacrosse is reporting that Hampton plans to ad D1 men's lacrosse beginning in the 2016 season.

The Pirates will be the first HBCU to play D1 men's lax since Morgan State shut down its program in 1981. Currently, Howard and Delaware State field women's D1 teams.

The team will play an independent schedule in 2016, and here is one vote for Duke to be on it. It would be a huge honor for Duke to be the opponent in the Pirates' first ever home game (and I'm sure Bob Green will appreciate the opportunity to watch high-quality lacrosse without having to drive to Durham).

Congratulations and best wishes to all involved. Go Pirates!

MCFinARL
05-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Though I am not sure everyone on DBR will share your conclusion that this news is huge, I think it is an exciting development. The MEAC has a lot of schools in high-lacrosse areas, including Coppin State, NC Central, and Howard among others--maybe they will follow Hampton's example.

Duke has proven very willing to play new teams in the past, so we'll see.

AncientPsychicT
05-06-2015, 06:23 AM
Though I am not sure everyone on DBR will share your conclusion that this news is huge, I think it is an exciting development. The MEAC has a lot of schools in high-lacrosse areas, including Coppin State, NC Central, and Howard among others--maybe they will follow Hampton's example.

Duke has proven very willing to play new teams in the past, so we'll see.

Not to mention Morgan State, which was the last HBCU school to have a team from 1971-1981.

MCFinARL
05-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Not to mention Morgan State, which was the last HBCU school to have a team from 1971-1981.

Yes, of course.