PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry MVP speech

wiscodevil
05-05-2015, 11:40 AM
This should be required reading for any young athlete (non-athletes too).
Simply amazing.

http://genius.com/Stephen-curry-2014-15-mvp-acceptance-speech-annotated#note-6349399

DUKIECB
05-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Simply amazing.

http://genius.com/Stephen-curry-2014-15-mvp-acceptance-speech-annotated#note-6349399Wow. Amazing guy and easily my favorite player in the NBA. So fun to watch. I hope they win it all.

Indoor66
05-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Simply amazing.

http://genius.com/Stephen-curry-2014-15-mvp-acceptance-speech-annotated#note-6349399

An incredible speech by a wonderful young man from a top notch family. I recommend it to all.... Bring a hanky.

Bluedog
05-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Great speech. Steph Curry seems like a humble smart guy -- I liked that he gave individual shout outs and thanks to every single teammate. I found his thanking of Barnes particularly humorous: "HB, the Black Falcon...<laughing by crowd and Steph>...I remember the first time I met you, it was at Chris Paul's camp in Wake Forest. And you were looking for a foam roller...because you wanted to take care of your body. I have never seen a high school player actually want a foam roller or stretch or do any of that.<laughing from crowd> This guy was like not going to go onto the court unless he found a foam roller to take back to the hotel. And things don't change bro!...You got my vote running for whatever office you run for you're done playing."

Reilly
05-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Steph mentions his grandmother (Dell's mom) who was probably watching the Braves game. Here's a good story mentioning her (and Dell's upbringing):

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12728744/how-golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-became-nba-best-point-guard

Dell was a terrific baseball player -- pitched at VT, drafted by the Orioles.

MCFinARL
05-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Great speech. Steph Curry seems like a humble smart guy -- I liked that he gave individual shout outs and thanks to every single teammate. I found his thanking of Barnes particularly humorous: "HB, the Black Falcon...<laughing by crowd and Steph>...I remember the first time I met you, it was at Chris Paul's camp in Wake Forest. And you were looking for a foam roller...because you wanted to take care of your body. I have never seen a high school player actually want a foam roller or stretch or do any of that.<laughing from crowd> This guy was like not going to go onto the court unless he found a foam roller to take back to the hotel. And things don't change bro!...You got my vote running for whatever office you run for you're done playing."

What impressed me even more than the teammate remarks were the specific and detailed shout outs to support personnel, including the equipment manager and the head of security. I thought that was pretty great.

duke blue brewcrew
05-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Wow. Amazing guy and easily my favorite player in the NBA. So fun to watch. I hope they win it all.

I agree. Amazing individual and an incredible player. The one part of your statement that I struggle with is the "I hope they win it all part". To clarify, I haven't had an NBA team that I actively followed since the Hornets picked up and moved to Nawlins (yes, I realize they are back now). Once that happened, I started following my favorite Dukies in the NBA, and that's been fun. With that said, there are no Blue Devils on the Warriors, and then there's the HB factor. By default, if you are cheering for Golden State to win it all, you are rooting for that guy which I just can't do. The one area where UNC still owns Duke is in the NBA World Championships department. The delta is significant, and I would love to see the former Blue Devils eat away at that gap a little bit so that it's at least a little more respectable.

weezie
05-06-2015, 10:07 AM
It was always a treat watching Mr. Curry come into Cameron and give the Devils fits. And I loved the Coach K 1000 tribute he gave, along the lines of, "You should have given me another look Coach" which was made humbly and with humor.

A great guy, really helping the NBA to rise.

DUKIECB
05-06-2015, 01:27 PM
I agree. Amazing individual and an incredible player. The one part of your statement that I struggle with is the "I hope they win it all part". To clarify, I haven't had an NBA team that I actively followed since the Hornets picked up and moved to Nawlins (yes, I realize they are back now). Once that happened, I started following my favorite Dukies in the NBA, and that's been fun. With that said, there are no Blue Devils on the Warriors, and then there's the HB factor. By default, if you are cheering for Golden State to win it all, you are rooting for that guy which I just can't do. The one area where UNC still owns Duke is in the NBA World Championships department. The delta is significant, and I would love to see the former Blue Devils eat away at that gap a little bit so that it's at least a little more respectable.I understand your position and I somewhat have the same feelings but I try not to let one guy on an otherwise likeable team ruin it. And truth be told I don't hate the guy and has as far as I know been a decent guy in the league. Now if he behaved like a punk and a thug every night I would think differently but I don't think that is the case. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just think the team is fun to watch with their uptempo style of play and all the 3 bombs they put up every night. They are in my opinion what the fans want to see, sort of the opposite of the state of college basketball right now. I can't believe I'm actually defending the NBA and knocking college because overall I can't stand the NBA compared to watching college ball but as many critics have said, the college game needs an overhaul.

Tripping William
05-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Agree; great, great speech. Of course, good as it was, he's no Quinn Cook in that regard.

:)