PDA

View Full Version : Football 2015

Pages : [1] 2

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-04-2015, 04:57 PM
ESPN has Duke #7 (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/110501/post-spring-acc-power-rankings).... in the ACC.

CameronBornAndBred
05-04-2015, 05:31 PM
ESPN has Duke #7 (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/110501/post-spring-acc-power-rankings).... in the ACC.
I'm ok with starting out without lofty expectations since we are going to be led by a QB that nobody has seen in a true leadership role yet. If you look at in terms of division standings, they are saying we'll be third, behind GT and VT. I'm ok with that, too. It's a good place to start the season, and I'm quite confident that we can move up that list once we get our season under way and once again battle for a championship.

CameronBornAndBred
05-04-2015, 05:35 PM
P.S. I love their intro for the Heels.

Forget the usual preseason hype. It is time to start seeing results from the Tar Heels.

Bob Green
05-04-2015, 05:49 PM
ESPN has Duke #7.... in the ACC.

As the article pointed out there are serious questions to be answered at quarterback, wide receiver and on the offensive line. I'd add defensive end as creating a pass rush hasn't been a strength except via the blitz and our best defensive ends, Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Dezmond Wallace are now UDFA in the NFL. I am extremely optimistic the players in the queue are as good or better than the players that have departed, but the folks who vote in preseason polls are not going to give Duke the benefit of the doubt. I'm fairly certain all these polls are conducted in Missouri. Wide receivers Chris Taylor, Trevon Lee, and company are going to show people a thing or two come September.

Looking at the rankings, Duke is 3rd in the Coastal behind Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. I'm not sold on the Hokies as Virginia Tech appears to be a program in decline, but Georgia Tech could be formidable with Justin Thomas having a year's experience as the starting quarterback.

Bottom line is I believe Duke should be #2 in the Coastal behind Georgia Tech coming out of Spring practice. As far as the Atlantic goes, I'll limit my comments to pointing out Duke's 2015 opponents are ranked #11 (Boston College) and #13 (Wake Forest). We need to take advantage of fortuitous scheduling.

sagegrouse
05-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Here's what's scary for Hokie fans, from the same article --

4. Virginia Tech Hokies

2014 record: 7-6

Previous ranking: 5

Virginia Tech ended spring with its offense ahead of its defense, with enough progress to make us feel optimistic about the Hokies’ ability to compete for an ACC championship this season.

Offense ahead of defense? At VPI? -- Sounds like a disastrous season in the offing.

Olympic Fan
05-04-2015, 06:21 PM
As far as the Atlantic goes, I'll limit my comments to pointing out Duke's 2015 opponents are ranked #11 (Boston College) and #13 (Wake Forest). We need to take advantage of fortuitous scheduling.

Interesting that Georgia Tech has to play Clemson and Florida State from the Atlantic ... they could be better than Duke, but still finish with a worse ACC record.

I agree that we need to take advantage of our schedule. This is the last time for a while that the schedule works in our favor. Starting in 2016, we get Louisville, Clemson and FSU in consecutive years from the Atlantic (Wake is our permanent partner, so we get them every year from the Atlantic).

And the non-conference is manageable too. Northwestern in Durham is not a gimmie, but it's a winnable game. At Tulane and at Army are also games Duke should win. NCCU at home is the one gimmie on the schedule.

This is also the last time we get it easy with our OOC schedule. Starting in 2016, we played either Baylor or Notre Dame OOC ever season through 2020.

Bob Green
05-04-2015, 06:26 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words:

https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/595344731569270784/photo/1

jimsumner
05-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Duke? We've seen the results. Now it's time for some pre-season hype.

yancem
05-04-2015, 07:34 PM

Sorry, I'm confused. I thought we were talking about football not basketball :)

uh_no
05-04-2015, 08:09 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words:

https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/595344731569270784/photo/1

i don't think the seats were there during the basketball banquet. makin progress!

duke blue brewcrew
05-04-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm actually Ok with this ranking. I think it's pretty accurate given the Blue Devils will be breaking in new starters at QB, both WRs, multiple OL/DL positions & LB. I agree with other posters that I believe Duke will climb once the season starts and the team starts clicking together. Assuming they preform as we the fans hope, it should be another fun year to watch Duke football! GO DUKE!

jimsumner
05-04-2015, 09:33 PM
I'm actually Ok with this ranking. I think it's pretty accurate given the Blue Devils will be breaking in new starters at QB, both WRs, multiple OL/DL positions & LB. I agree with other posters that I believe Duke will climb once the season starts and the team starts clicking together. Assuming they preform as we the fans hope, it should be another fun year to watch Duke football! GO DUKE!

Sure. But everybody is breaking in new starters.

And I understand the show-me skepticism of any team breaking in a new QB.

But Duke gets back Deaver, Duncan and Kelby Brown, returns four of its top six OL, has tremendous talent at RB, LB, DB and special teams and more than a few promising youngsters. I'm particularly excited about the young talent at WR and defensive line.

And the coaching staff seems to know its way around a clipboard.

It seems like last season should have demonstrated that 2013 was not a fluke and that Cut has established a quality program, not just one quality team. The kind of program that replaces talent with talent and keeps on keeping on.

Anyway. We'll find out soon enough.

duke blue brewcrew
05-04-2015, 10:04 PM

But Duke gets back Deaver, Duncan and Kelby Brown, returns four of its top six OL, has tremendous talent at RB, LB, DB and special teams and more than a few promising youngsters. I'm particularly excited about the young talent at WR and defensive line.

It seems like last season should have demonstrated that 2013 was not a fluke and that Cut has established a quality program, not just one quality team. The kind of program that replaces talent with talent and keeps on keeping on.

If I had to honestly answer where I stand on the up-coming season, I would say I'm cautiously optomistic and largely for the reasons you state. In Cut & Company I trust, there is no doubt about it. Duke has a wealth of talent coming back, I absolutely agree. The questions the Blue Devils have coming into this season are at DL & QB. Does Duke have the depth and talent to finally pressure the opposing QB and stuff the run? How does Duke build experience at QB? A position where they are as young as I can ever remember...Thad Lewis' freshman year maybe?

Jim3k
05-05-2015, 08:18 PM

Another thing: The defensive tackle cadre looks awesome. Two redshirt freshmen, Cerenord and Ferguson make their debut: 6-2, 300. What's not to like? They will be led by senior Wray and three others with significant game experience. Altogether this is six big, powerful defensive dudes. (Not counting a seventh who saw only limited playing time in 2013.) I dunno if Cut will play all six regularly, but this position is a team strength. It has the potential to dominate any offensive line facing it. Prognosticators would be wise to note that.

devildeac
05-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Another thing: The defensive tackle cadre looks awesome. Two redshirt freshmen, Cerenord and Ferguson make their debut: 6-2, 300. What's not to like? They will be led by senior Wray and three others with significant game experience. Altogether this is six big, powerful defensive dudes. (Not counting a seventh who saw only limited playing time in 2013.) I dunno if Cut will play all six regularly, but this position is a team strength. It has the potential to dominate any offensive line facing it. Prognosticators would be wise to note that.

I dunno about dominating any offensive line facing them. Have you seen some of the beef up front for f$u and Clemson in the last few years? Those dudes are ginormous.

OldPhiKap
05-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Once again, respect won't be given. It will be earned.

In other words -- We Are Duke. Play Duke ball.

I'm okay with it.

Rip 'em up, Tear 'em up, Give'm Hell DUKE!!!!!!

Indoor66
05-06-2015, 08:35 AM
Rip 'em up, Tear 'em up, Give'm Hell DUKE!!!!!!

You old goat. :D You probably remember the sound baffles and smoke in Duke Indoor Stadium.

loran16
05-06-2015, 08:45 AM

I think 7 shows it has demonstrated that Jim - that suggests they expect us to be at least an average acc team and a bowl team in a rebuilding year. That's pretty incredible!

And duke loses a ton of it's offense in the line, qb and crowder , even if blakeny comes back. 7 seems fair to me. And they rightfully have unc not high so I'm good

duke blue brewcrew
05-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Let's let the new starters and freshman get some actual snaps under their belts with real bullets flying before we crown them dominant. The potential is there for sure, but they've done nothing that secure them the title of dominant to this point. I hope they prove to be a position of strength, that would be a very refreshing change.

Dev11
05-06-2015, 10:20 AM
I dunno about dominating any offensive line facing them. Have you seen some of the beef up front for f$u and Clemson in the last few years? Those dudes are ginormous.

Good thing the only way we play Clemson or FSU is in an ACC championship game, which would be the mark of a successful season.

None of these rankings matter. None. Ever.

devildeac
05-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Good thing the only way we play Clemson or FSU is in an ACC championship game, which would be the mark of a successful season.

None of these rankings matter. None. Ever.

Unless Cut uses that ranking to provide a bit extra motivation in the weight room and on the field during the pre-season and throughout the campaign. I agree with you though. Let's finish first in the division and then worry about the Tigers or those crabby 'Noles.

jimsumner
05-06-2015, 04:47 PM
I think 7 shows it has demonstrated that Jim - that suggests they expect us to be at least an average acc team and a bowl team in a rebuilding year. That's pretty incredible!

And duke loses a ton of it's offense in the line, qb and crowder , even if blakeny comes back. 7 seems fair to me. And they rightfully have unc not high so I'm good

Blakeney? He's long gone.

I guess my disagreement is with the premise that this is a rebuilding year. Duke returns three starting OL and its top OL reserve, two of its top four WRs, all of its tight ends and adds Deaver, has three outstanding running backs and moves its back-up QB to starter.

On defense, Duke has depth and quality at DT, some question marks at DE, Kelby Brown back at LB, joining some outstanding young talent and a defensive backfield to die for. And one of the better place-kicking/punting combos around.

And there is young talent galore. I've called this an example of cognitive dissonance, an acknowledgment that Cut has upgraded the recruiting standards, while worrying that the young guys won't be as good as the guys they're replacing.

I can hardly be more excited about this season. Mark down names like Chris Taylor, T.J. Raahming, Edgar Cerenord, Ben Humphries, Xavier Carmichael and a host of others. Duke is going to be good, real good in 2015. And 2016. And 2017. Et. al.

OldPhiKap
05-06-2015, 04:57 PM

I guess my disagreement is with the premise that this is a rebuilding year. Duke returns three starting OL and its top OL reserve, two of its top four WRs, all of its tight ends and adds Deaver, has three outstanding running backs and moves its back-up QB to starter.

On defense, Duke has depth and quality at DT, some question marks at DE, Kelby Brown back at LB, joining some outstanding young talent and a defensive backfield to die for. And one of the better place-kicking/punting combos around.

And there is young talent galore. I've called this an example of cognitive dissonance, an acknowledgment that Cut has upgraded the recruiting standards, while worrying that the young guys won't be as good as the guys they're replacing.

I can hardly be more excited about this season. Mark down names like Chris Taylor, T.J. Raahming, Edgar Cerenord, Ben Humphries, Xavier Carmichael and a host of others. Duke is going to be good, real good in 2015. And 2016. And 2017. Et. al.

Agree. There is a world of difference between "unproven talent" and a lack of capable talent.

duke blue brewcrew
05-07-2015, 08:49 AM

Blakeney is working to make an NFL roster right now and good for him. I don't disagree that there is an exciting wealth of young talent on the Duke team and it is all thanks to Coach Cut & Co. I love the quote Coach Cut gave about recruiting earlier this year, paraphrasing - "We're fishing in some different ponds this year, and it seems to be paying off for us." Those are words to make a Blue Devil fan swoon! I like that Duke's schedule this year, it isn't as tough as the two years to follow. That will gives this young team a chance to gel and get some experience under it's collective belt, which is the one thing it really needs. Duke has a lot of talent, but in some critical positions it is very young. Both OTs will be first time starters and in charge of protecting a rookie QB. That's an interesting and potentially dangerous combo IMO. As a fan, I'm still a little nervous about the DL as a whole. If I had to guess, it's in the best shape it has been in for quite some time, which is exciting. Experience will help that group also. I'm itching to see this team play, I think it will be a fun season to watch this team come together, forge their own identity and continue the progression of Duke Football in the Coach Cut era.

devildeac
05-07-2015, 09:39 AM

Your last paragraph is very comforting and exciting to read:D. And Happy Birthday, too.

Bob Green
05-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Both OTs will be first time starters and in charge of protecting a rookie QB.

Casey Blaser started at RT in 2014 so he will not be a first time starter. He will most likely move to LT in 2015.

jimsumner
05-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Casey Blaser started at RT in 2014 so he will not be a first time starter. He will most likely move to LT in 2015.

Gabe Brander worked as first-team LT all spring. Blaser is at right tackle.

Let's examine the premise that 2015 will be a rebuilding year.

Remember 2013. Duke suffered significant losses following that season, some expected, some unexpected.

OL. Lost multi-year starters Dave Harding and Perry Simmons. Simmons was third-team All-ACC.

TE.Lost third-team All-ACC Braxton Deaver for the season to a knee injury. Deaver had 46 receptions in 2013.

WR. Lost starter Brandon Braxton. His 39 receptions were second on the team by a WR.

RB. Lost Juwan Thompson to graduation (and the NFL) and Jela Duncan to academics. The duo combined for 910 rushing yards and 20 receptions.

QB-Lost co-starter Brandon Connette and his 1549 total yards and 27 touchdowns. 27 touchdowns!! The entire Duke team didn't score that many nine seasons from 1996 through 2006.

DL. Lost three starters, Kenny Anunike, Justin Foxx and Sidney Sarmiento. Anunike led the team in sacks and was second-team All-ACC.

LB-First-team All-ACC Kelby Brown lost for the season due to knee injury.

DB. Lost first-team All-ACC Ross Cockrell and spot starter Garrett Patterson. Cockrell is first in Duke career PBUs.

These comprise a pretty significant talent hit, five All-ACC players. Many skeptics thought this signaled a rebuilding year in 2014.

Duke won nine games.

So much for rebuilding.

That's what I mean by establishing a good program not just a good team. Fred Goldsmith's first Duke team was two stops away from finishing the regular season
10-1. But he couldn't sustain it and never came close to duplicating that success. In fairness to Goldsmith, he lost his two top assistants in large part because Duke wasn't in the business of paying competitive salaries to assistant football coaches. But there's no doubt that he never built much of a recruiting network at Duke and that's on him.

Cutcliffe is building a sustainable program, one that loses talented players and replaces them with players of equal or even superior talent. Look at that 2012 team, from which Duke lost such notables as Sean Renfree, Connor Vernon, Lee Butler, Desmond Scott and Walt Canty and won 10 games the following season.

That's what good programs do and I think Duke has turned the corner from good team to good program. Rather than lament the lost players, I prefer to wish them the best of luck and focus on the players still around, players that I feel confident will help Duke be better than the seventh-best team in the ACC. I'll be surprised and disappointed in anything less than a division title.

Bob Green
05-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the correction. I'm not sure where I read or why I assumed Blaser would move.

I'll be surprised and disappointed in anything less than a division title.

Your optimism fuels my optimism!

duke blue brewcrew
05-07-2015, 12:51 PM

Let's examine the premise that 2015 will be a rebuilding year.

Remember 2013. Duke suffered significant losses following that season, some expected, some unexpected.

OL. Lost multi-year starters Dave Harding and Perry Simmons. Simmons was third-team All-ACC.

TE.Lost third-team All-ACC Braxton Deaver for the season to a knee injury. Deaver had 46 receptions in 2013.

WR. Lost starter Brandon Braxton. His 39 receptions were second on the team by a WR.

RB. Lost Juwan Thompson to graduation (and the NFL) and Jela Duncan to academics. The duo combined for 910 rushing yards and 20 receptions.

QB-Lost co-starter Brandon Connette and his 1549 total yards and 27 touchdowns. 27 touchdowns!! The entire Duke team didn't score that many nine seasons from 1996 through 2006.

DL. Lost three starters, Kenny Anunike, Justin Foxx and Sidney Sarmiento. Anunike led the team in sacks and was second-team All-ACC.

LB-First-team All-ACC Kelby Brown lost for the season due to knee injury.

DB. Lost first-team All-ACC Ross Cockrell and spot starter Garrett Patterson. Cockrell is first in Duke career PBUs.

These comprise a pretty significant talent hit, five All-ACC players. Many skeptics thought this signaled a rebuilding year in 2014.

Duke won nine games.

So much for rebuilding.

That's what I mean by establishing a good program not just a good team. Fred Goldsmith's first Duke team was two stops away from finishing the regular season
10-1. But he couldn't sustain it and never came close to duplicating that success. In fairness to Goldsmith, he lost his two top assistants in large part because Duke wasn't in the business of paying competitive salaries to assistant football coaches. But there's no doubt that he never built much of a recruiting network at Duke and that's on him.

Cutcliffe is building a sustainable program, one that loses talented players and replaces them with players of equal or even superior talent. Look at that 2012 team, from which Duke lost such notables as Sean Renfree, Connor Vernon, Lee Butler, Desmond Scott and Walt Canty and won 10 games the following season.

That's what good programs do and I think Duke has turned the corner from good team to good program. Rather than lament the lost players, I prefer to wish them the best of luck and focus on the players still around, players that I feel confident will help Duke be better than the seventh-best team in the ACC. I'll be surprised and disappointed in anything less than a division title.

Exceptional analysis as always. I hope my thoughts weren't interpreted as lamenting the past. I absolutely wish those guys well. For what it's worth, I think Sirk has the potential ability to be a much better QB than Boone and same with the OL/ DL. I can't wait to see it all unfold this upcoming season!

luvdahops
05-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Just picked up their CFB preview today

Coastal:

1-Georgia Tech
2-Duke
3-Virginia Tech
4-Miami
5-UNC
6-Pitt
7-Virginia

Atlantic:

1-FSU
2-Clemson
3-Louisville
4-NCSU
5-BC
6-Syracuse
7-Wake

Matt Skura, Kelby Brown and Jeremy Cash are All-ACC (1 team only)
Cut named Best Coach as Strategist
Shaq Powell named Most Likely to Succeed (off the field)

I'll take it.....

OldPhiKap
05-29-2015, 03:59 PM

Coastal:

1-Georgia Tech
2-Duke
3-Virginia Tech
4-Miami
5-UNC
6-Pitt
7-Virginia

Atlantic:

1-FSU
2-Clemson
3-Louisville
4-NCSU
5-BC
6-Syracuse
7-Wake

I'll take it.....

Looks like a reasonable order, although I like our chances to win the Coastal.

mbird30
05-29-2015, 04:17 PM

Coastal:

1-Georgia Tech
2-Duke
3-Virginia Tech
4-Miami
5-UNC
6-Pitt
7-Virginia

Atlantic:

1-FSU
2-Clemson
3-Louisville
4-NCSU
5-BC
6-Syracuse
7-Wake

I'll take it.....

I think this is the best ranking we will get, as most won't be able to get over how a team like Duke can have the depth to lose its top quarterback, WR, De's, and 2 NFL O-lineman and somehow be better than the year before. I have unreasonably high hopes for this team for some reason.

Olympic Fan
05-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Sportsbook has come out with its over-under for the ACC teams next season:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/82328/sportsbook-releases-college-football-win-totals

Duke's over/under is seven wins.

I will point out that Duke has gone over the predicted total for the last three years in a row.

Bob Green
05-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Athlon predicts Duke will finish sixth in the Coastal ahead of only Virginia. They say we will go 7-5 overall, 3-5 in the ACC.

devildeac
05-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Athlon predicts Duke will finish sixth in the Coastal ahead of only Virginia. They say we will go 7-5 overall, 3-5 in the ACC.

Good thing to tape up on the locker room wall;).

mbird30
05-30-2015, 08:04 AM

It's god to think that going 7-5 (3-5) is a disappointment now days. Shows our visible improvement

sagegrouse
05-30-2015, 08:38 AM
It's god to think that going 7-5 (3-5) is a disappointment now days. Shows our visible improvement

Yep. The current student body is getting spoiled. We took our grandson on a college tour of Duke in November, and the student guide, while gesturing at Wally Wade from afar, said, "I'm not very happy with our football team this year." Although we had just lost to UNC, our record at the time was 8-3.

At the speech that provided my signature quote, Cut also said, "It's not just that the recruits don't remember when Duke football was good, but their parents also don't remember." Now there are a few souls on earth who don't remember when Duke football was bad, and some of them go to Duke.

Kindly, Sage
'I don't know who goes on these college tours, but there were at least 70 people in the room for the briefing beforehand. The speaker asked if there were any Duke alumni present. My hand was the only one that went up.'

Bob Green
05-30-2015, 09:08 AM
It's good to think that going 7-5 (3-5) is a disappointment now days. Shows our visible improvement

There are several key unknowns headed into the season such as how Sirk plays at QB, are Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver healthy and able to produce at their pre-injury level and who steps up at WR and DE. Creating a consistent pass rush is my biggest concern. I'm optimistic the pieces are in place for another 9 or 10 win season, but I will not be disappointed if the team goes 7-5. I will be disappointed if the team goes 5-7. My benchmark is six wins and a fourth straight bowl game appearance. This team will exceed my benchmark.

mbird30
05-30-2015, 01:01 PM
There are several key unknowns headed into the season such as how Sirk plays at QB, are Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver healthy and able to produce at their pre-injury level and who steps up at WR and DE. Creating a consistent pass rush is my biggest concern. I'm optimistic the pieces are in place for another 9 or 10 win season, but I will not be disappointed if the team goes 7-5. I will be disappointed if the team goes 5-7. My benchmark is six wins and a fourth straight bowl game appearance. This team will exceed my benchmark.

Your right that we have some holes, but I think we will fill those holes. First of all I am concerned about Sirk moving in at quarterback too, but I think our team will become a run first team and Sirk is plenty good enough to run. In cases where he will need to throw I don't think Cut won't give him a ton of options at first (so he won't have to make tough decisions) and we will probably have a lot of plays that have 1 or 2 check downs to keep it easy on Sirk, and I've heard he throws a "GREAT" deep ball which is also important with a run first offence.
The O-line will be good but not great since we lost some of our key pieces, but I don't think anyone will stand out as a weak link and we will be a better run blocking team than pass blocking. I think that Skurra has the chance to have an awesome season too.
The running backs will be awesome and hopefully Jela is dominant again.
The wide receivers won't be great, but we have a lot of deep threat guys and some great speedy receivers. Max will be consistent and I think his blocking will be his best quality this season. I see some screen pass sepcialists in this group too.
Our tight ends will be a strong spot and they will keep getting stronger in each foreseeable year (except maybe a little step back next year). No need to say much about them except that they have a chance to be either really good or great.

On defense I am overly optimistic about our DE's. I really like how Kyler will be more like an additional outside linebacker and I love how we will be a hybrid between a 3-3-5 and a 4-2-5. Although he isn't the best it will be interesting to see how opposing offences adjust to him (I could also see Humphreys play this role as he played both middle and outside linebacker in high school). I am not excited about Britton Grier as a strong side DE but I think he could surprise me, as well as Marquise Price later in the season.
Our interior line on defense will be the best its been since VO was there and maybe the deepest its been in 10 years. Something about the tenacity that AJ Wolf plays with makes me really like him, and Carlos Wray can really hold his own in there. I expect that our inside the tackle run defense to be the best it has been in years.
Our Linebacking core is really good. If Kelby plays even 50% of his best he will be a beast. I think Dwayne Norman will be really strong, and I am a huge fan a Zavier Carmichael. Chirs Holmes will be strong and if Humphreys plays he will be productive too.
Lastly our DB's will be DOMINANT. I think our 3 Safeties are among the best in the nation and I'd take them over any other combination in the country. At CB Breon will be really good this year and I think Fields may be getting over the hill when it comes to his coverage skills. Our depth at CB is great too and I think Mcduffie could take someones spot on the depth chart if he plays CB.

So, after all of that optimism I do think we should be a better than 7-5 team (especially with our schedule) and we have the talent to beat any team on our schedule. Not that we will go undefeated, but its the best chance we've had in over 20 years to do so. OK I'm done with the optimism.

OldPhiKap
05-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Your right that we have some holes, but I think we will fill those holes. First of all I am concerned about Sirk moving in at quarterback too, but I think our team will become a run first team and Sirk is plenty good enough to run. In cases where he will need to throw I don't think Cut won't give him a ton of options at first (so he won't have to make tough decisions) and we will probably have a lot of plays that have 1 or 2 check downs to keep it easy on Sirk, and I've heard he throws a "GREAT" deep ball which is also important with a run first offence.
The O-line will be good but not great since we lost some of our key pieces, but I don't think anyone will stand out as a weak link and we will be a better run blocking team than pass blocking. I think that Skurra has the chance to have an awesome season too.
The running backs will be awesome and hopefully Jela is dominant again.
The wide receivers won't be great, but we have a lot of deep threat guys and some great speedy receivers. Max will be consistent and I think his blocking will be his best quality this season. I see some screen pass sepcialists in this group too.
Our tight ends will be a strong spot and they will keep getting stronger in each foreseeable year (except maybe a little step back next year). No need to say much about them except that they have a chance to be either really good or great.

On defense I am overly optimistic about our DE's. I really like how Kyler will be more like an additional outside linebacker and I love how we will be a hybrid between a 3-3-5 and a 4-2-5. Although he isn't the best it will be interesting to see how opposing offences adjust to him (I could also see Humphreys play this role as he played both middle and outside linebacker in high school). I am not excited about Britton Grier as a strong side DE but I think he could surprise me, as well as Marquise Price later in the season.
Our interior line on defense will be the best its been since VO was there and maybe the deepest its been in 10 years. Something about the tenacity that AJ Wolf plays with makes me really like him, and Carlos Wray can really hold his own in there. I expect that our inside the tackle run defense to be the best it has been in years.
Our Linebacking core is really good. If Kelby plays even 50% of his best he will be a beast. I think Dwayne Norman will be really strong, and I am a huge fan a Zavier Carmichael. Chirs Holmes will be strong and if Humphreys plays he will be productive too.
Lastly our DB's will be DOMINANT. I think our 3 Safeties are among the best in the nation and I'd take them over any other combination in the country. At CB Breon will be really good this year and I think Fields may be getting over the hill when it comes to his coverage skills. Our depth at CB is great too and I think Mcduffie could take someones spot on the depth chart if he plays CB.

So, after all of that optimism I do think we should be a better than 7-5 team (especially with our schedule) and we have the talent to beat any team on our schedule. Not that we will go undefeated, but its the best chance we've had in over 20 years to do so. OK I'm done with the optimism.

This is spot on. My two cents:

1. You never know what we will get with a new quarterback. But Boone, for his great leadership skills and ability to read defenses, was not a strong passer downfield. If Sirk "gets it" and has an accurate arm downfield, it could really open up the offense.

2. We lose experience on the O line but have some really good kids coming back too. I think the O line will be pretty good.

3. Defensive secondary always seems to come down to depth. We play a lot of smaller, quicker players -- but we have a lot of positions to fill in the 4-2-5.

4. We were very lucky last year with few injuries (Kelby and Braxton aside). I hope that is a sign of better conditioning and technique, but there is an element of randomness.

5. Don't stop the optimism. Embrace it. This can be a wonderful season!

Rip 'em up, tear 'em up, give'm hell DUKE!

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-30-2015, 02:11 PM
I continue to relish the role of underdog a bit. So what if the various comments preseason undervalue what this team will be! The excitement of a season full of "unexpected" wins is hard to beat. How fantastic it will be if this is the season for a win in a bowl game! ;)

mbird30
05-30-2015, 02:46 PM
I continue to relish the role of underdog a bit. So what if the various comments preseason undervalue what this team will be! The excitement of a season full of "unexpected" wins is hard to beat. How fantastic it will be if this is the season for a win in a bowl game! ;)

I don't want to go back to El Paso, but if that's what it will take I'd do just about anything for a bowl win!:D

OldPhiKap
05-30-2015, 05:19 PM
I don't want to go back to El Paso, but if that's what it will take I'd do just about anything for a bowl win!:D

El Paso was a great place to see a game!

But Florida in early January would be even better!

LGD !!!!!!!

Olympic Fan
05-30-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm an optimist, but I'd definitely take the "over" for this season -- seven wins being the benchmark.

The non-conference schedule is soft once again (toughest game is home against Northwestern) and we get the two weakest teams in the Atlantic Division -- that's rebuilding Wake and rebuilding BC.

That's half the schedule -- six games -- in which Duke should be solidly favored. I will be shocked if we don't win at least five of those games and six is likely.

That leaves the six games against the Coastal Division. I think the division is wide open. Not that there are any gimmies in the bunch, but think about this -- Duke has beaten every other team in the division at least once in the last two years. I think a 3-3 record is a reasonable projection, which would mean 5-3 in the ACC and 8 or 9 wins overall. A 4-2 division mark and there's a good chance we're back in Charlotte.

Obviously, a lot depends on Sirk at QB ... Duke does have question marks. But so do all the other teams in the Coastal. I'm not kidding when I say the division is wide open ... it wouldn't be a shock if any of the seven teams in the division were to win it.

But I think eight wins is a MINIMUM projection for this team against this schedule. A third-straight nine win-plus season is not farfetched at all.

I admit that my primary hope for the coming season is that Duke WINS a bowl game. We've come heartbreakingly closer for three straight seasons ... it's time to win a bowl, any bowl.

Bob Green
05-31-2015, 07:43 AM
So, after all of that optimism I do think we should be a better than 7-5 team (especially with our schedule) and we have the talent to beat any team on our schedule.

But I think eight wins is a MINIMUM projection for this team against this schedule. A third-straight nine win-plus season is not farfetched at all.

Another unknown for Duke, and every other team, is whether or not a redshirt or true freshman breaks out and becomes a significant contributor. We have some candidates on both sides of the ball. The emergence of a new star could be the difference maker in winning 8 or 9 games rather than 6 or 7.

Chris Taylor, Trevon Lee, T.J. Rahming, Keyston Fuller, Taariq Shabazz, Edgar Cerenord, Quaven Ferguson, Marquies Price, Trevon McSwain, Ben Humphreys...the list goes on.

mbird30
05-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Another unknown for Duke, and every other team, is whether or not a redshirt or true freshman breaks out and becomes a significant contributor. We have some candidates on both sides of the ball. The emergence of a new star could be the difference maker in winning 8 or 9 games rather than 6 or 7.

Chris Taylor, Trevon Lee, T.J. Rahming, Keyston Fuller, Taariq Shabazz, Edgar Cerenord, Quaven Ferguson, Marquies Price, Trevon McSwain, Ben Humphreys...the list goes on.

I like a few of the guys on this list to be great this year. My favorite is our possible D-line contributors with Cerenord, Quaven, Price, McSwain, Mugala etc... all who are possibly some of the best we have had in years

duke blue brewcrew
06-02-2015, 07:57 AM
I like a few of the guys on this list to be great this year. My favorite is our possible D-line contributors with Cerenord, Quaven, Price, McSwain, Mugala etc... all who are possibly some of the best we have had in years

Certainly the best since VO & Co at the beginning of the Coach Cut era. I am excited about the possibility of the D-Line taking a nice step forward this year. Duke Football needs for that area of the team to improve. I'm also excited to see what happens at QB and WR this year. I believe Sirk has the potential to develop into a high quality QB and we have so much studly young talent at WR, who will step up and sieze the opportunity? The thrill of the unknown is both fun and scary, but I like the upside for this season. LET'S GO DUKE!

roywhite
06-03-2015, 08:15 AM
PHIL STEELE'S 2015 PRESEASON
ALL-AMERICAN TEAM (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/3603006.pdf?ATCLID=210121287&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Phil Steele is one of the most respected college football analysts. Nice to see Jeremy (1st team) and Kelby (2nd team) get this recognition.

duke blue brewcrew
06-03-2015, 08:36 AM
PHIL STEELE'S 2015 PRESEASON
ALL-AMERICAN TEAM (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/3603006.pdf?ATCLID=210121287&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Phil Steele is one of the most respected college football analysts. Nice to see Jeremy (1st team) and Kelby (2nd team) get this recognition.

Yes, I saw that yesterday and it was awesome to see. I am very happy for Matt Skura and DeVon Edwards who made his All ACC Teams as well.

OldPhiKap
06-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Nice honor for all four gentlemen, and Jeremy thanks again for staying this year!

duke blue brewcrew
06-03-2015, 08:55 AM
Nice honor for all four gentlemen, and Jeremy thanks again for staying this year!

I agree. Duke will benefit greatly from his leadership, dynamic play making ability and nose to the grindstone work ethic. Filling his shoes won't be easy after this season. 1st rounder next year? I think it's a strong possibility.

Bob Green
06-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Eight Blue Devils made Steele's All ACC list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210121287&DB_OEM_ID=4200

In addition to the four already mentioned Will Monday, Ross Martin, Lucas Patrick and Casey Blaser were on the list.

EDIT: Three of five offensive linemen are preseason All ACC. I'd say the OL is in good shape and will once again be a team strength.

CameronBornAndBred
06-03-2015, 05:53 PM
EDIT: Three of five offensive linemen are preseason All ACC. I'd say the OL is in good shape and will once again be a team strength.
It is great to see that group with such high expectations. For the guys that aren't on the list, they are playing next to the dudes who have shown what it takes to make such an impact and to raise eyebrows. Good company to keep, and to learn from.

duke blue brewcrew
06-03-2015, 08:53 PM
It is great to see that group with such high expectations. For the guys that aren't on the list, they are playing next to the dudes who have shown what it takes to make such an impact and to raise eyebrows. Good company to keep, and to learn from.

Agreed. It has started to come to National attention that Duke Football recruits/players have put themselves in a position of opportunity. Great coaching, great competition and rapidly improving facilities are producing high quality results. See Laken Tomlinson and Tacoby Cofield as examples to follow. Work your butt off everyday, get better each year and you can end up in the NFL. Clearly Patrick, Blaser and Skura have learned something from those guys, and it's reasonable to think that this will be passed down to the incoming guys behind them. Daniels, Cockrell, Cash...I like that trend a lot I must admit. It really speaks to the level the Duke program has risen to under Coach Cut.

mbird30
06-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Eight Blue Devils made Steele's All ACC list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210121287&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I had no idea that three OL players would make this list which makes me even more optimistic about this team. I also think that the two/three players who will start on O-Line this season that are not listed will be solid, and I think that none of them will stick out as a weak link. That's just my opinion though.
To the point on Jeremy Cash leaving next year:
As hard as that will be, I think we have put ourselves in the best position possible to be prepared for that and I think that Corbin McCarthy and Brandon Feamster (both players who play that position (Feamster was recruited specifically to play Cash's position)) will be pretty good if not great players after Jeremy is gone. I think that's one of the amazing things about what Cutcliffe has done. He has put us in positions where each year we can get better even if we lose some of the best players in school history because we have the right pieces to fill any void left by a few players.

Bob Green
06-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Coach Cutcliffe previews the safety position:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4131791&db_oem_id=4200

We are very much a defense that depends on outstanding safety play.

duke blue brewcrew
06-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Coach Cutcliffe previews the safety position:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4131791&db_oem_id=4200

Thanks for sharing these Bob, I haven't seen any of these yet. I saw a few more while I was there and thought I would post them for those like me.

Cutcliffe QB Preview:
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?db_oem_id=4200&id=4096791&catid=1002

Summer Spotlight Thomas Sirk:
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?db_oem_id=4200&id=4097192&catid=1002

Summer Spotlight Edgar Cerenord:
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?db_oem_id=4200&id=4120194&catid=1002

Bob Green
06-09-2015, 06:07 PM
ESPN article naming Kelby Brown as one of the darkhorse candidates for ACC Defensive Player of the Year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/82547/darkhorse-candidates-for-acc-defensive-player-of-the-year

...Brown has got a world of talent on a defense that looks improved, and he’ll be in a hybrid role this season that should allow him to put up some big numbers. If he stays healthy, Brown has got as good a shot at player of the year honors as anyone.

Really? I was under the impression Kyler Brown would be playing the new DE/LB hybrid position. There hasn't been a lot available to read this off season so I could easily be mistaken and jumping to conclusions but I certainly expect to see Kelby at MLB.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-09-2015, 06:17 PM
ESPN article naming Kelby Brown as one of the darkhorse candidates for ACC Defensive Player of the Year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/82547/darkhorse-candidates-for-acc-defensive-player-of-the-year

Really? I was under the impression Kyler Brown would be playing the new DE/LB hybrid position. There hasn't been a lot available to read this off season so I could easily be mistaken and jumping to conclusions but I certainly expect to see Kelby at MLB.

I think you are correct, Bob. The media coverage of Duke football continues to lack dependable substance.;)

dpslaw
06-09-2015, 07:27 PM
I hope Kelby has a great year, but Jeremy Cash has to top any list of defensive player of the year candidates from Duke.

duke blue brewcrew
06-10-2015, 10:11 AM

I think the media is having an oops moment on the fact that there are two K. Browns on Duke's squad. It is my understanding that Kyler is playing that new hybrid-DE position and Kelby will be at his traditional MLB position. Has anyone seen anything to the contrary?

duke blue brewcrew
06-10-2015, 10:14 AM
I hope Kelby has a great year, but Jeremy Cash has to top any list of defensive player of the year candidates from Duke.

He's a 1st round draft pick kind of potential IMHO. I would love to see Duke Football make it two years in a row. Instant momentum boost for a recruiting effort that is on a roll these days!

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Following is a link to the current motivational video. Duke football never rests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9H9Q3QUSbg&feature=youtu.be

jimsumner
06-10-2015, 02:10 PM
He's a 1st round draft pick kind of potential IMHO. I would love to see Duke Football make it two years in a row. Instant momentum boost for a recruiting effort that is on a roll these days!

Kelby has missed two seasons following knee surgery, so I can understand some skepticism. If he can stay healthy and if he is the same player he was in 2013, he absolutely should be in the All-America mix. But those are significant qualifiers.

Cash is also coming off surgery but only missed spring ball not a full season and spring ball, as is the case with Brown. And Cash is a stud. So, he seems like a safer bet for All-America mentions and high draft pick status.

But it sure would be nice to have a healthy Cash and a healthy Brown anchoring the 2015 Duke defense.

OldPhiKap
06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Kelby has missed two seasons following knee surgery, so I can understand some skepticism. If he can stay healthy and if he is the same player he was in 2013, he absolutely should be in the All-America mix. But those are significant qualifiers.

Cash is also coming off surgery but only missed spring ball not a full season and spring ball, as is the case with Brown. And Cash is a stud. So, he seems like a safer bet for All-America mentions and high draft pick status.

But it sure would be nice to have a healthy Cash and a healthy Brown anchoring the 2015 Duke defense.

I'll take two All-Americans if we have to.

duke blue brewcrew
06-10-2015, 03:49 PM

There is no question that when health, Kelby is an absolute STUD and he makes everyone better on D! Even coming off of the injury from last year, he's a pre-season All ACC candidate. That means the kid is a beast and capable of AA status by the end of the year. Sadly, the injuries have turned some of us into Mizzou residents, "Show Me". Should Kelby return to his former self, Duke D should be very solid this year! Like OPK, I'd be more than happy to cheer for two AA's on D.

Bob Green
06-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Lindys has Duke fourth in the Coastal:

1. GT
2. VT
3. UNC
4. Duke
5. Pitt
6. Miami
7. Virginia

duke blue brewcrew
06-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Lindys has Duke fourth in the Coastal:

1. GT
2. VT
3. UNC
4. Duke
5. Pitt
6. Miami
7. Virginia

It's better than the last place predictions of the past. I get that there is some uncertainty coming into this year. I think Duke has the potential to finish a lot higher than that. Once we see a few question marks in action, it should be easier to assess. That said, I like Duke to finish in the top 3 in the Coastal, but I don't know exactly where in the Top 3. Do you have a prediction Bob?

Bob Green
06-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Do you have a prediction Bob? Once we see a few question marks in action, it should be easier to assess.

I rearranged the sentences in your post the same way editors have rearranged the chapters of Kafka's The Trial. You really meant to write them in the order I have them. I believe we will compete to be Coastal Division Champions. As you state, there are questions: Sirk at quarterback, establishing a consistent pass rush, someone stepping up into the offensive playmaker role filled by Crowder the past two seasons. Furthermore, there is a big unknown, not a question an unknown, will Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver remain healthy and productive throughout the season. The health of those two will be huge. There are also strengths such as at running back and defensive back, plus our special teams are poised to be really special. I am also convinced the offensive line will once again be a team strength. Lots of optimism...

My prediction, I'll go with a range: in conference we will go somewhere between 5-3 and 7-1.

arnie
06-10-2015, 08:49 PM
I think you are correct, Bob. The media coverage of Duke football continues to lack dependable substance.;)

Caught College Sports network on XM radio this morning. Neuheusel (sp) and his buddy decided to discuss Duke and pick each game. Both came up with 6-6 and debated if we could beat NW, UNC or BC. Basically thought we could win 2 or 3 ACC games. Described offense as losing QB from last year, OK at OL, questionable at receiver. When "buddy" started to summarize defense, he stopped and just said, remember this is Duke football we're talking about. Consensus- Cut is a great coach and he can pull off a 6-6 season. Obviously they know nothing about Duke football.

jimsumner
06-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Caught College Sports network on XM radio this morning. Neuheusel (sp) and his buddy decided to discuss Duke and pick each game. Both came up with 6-6 and debated if we could beat NW, UNC or BC. Basically thought we could win 2 or 3 ACC games. Described offense as losing QB from last year, OK at OL, questionable at receiver. When "buddy" started to summarize defense, he stopped and just said, remember this is Duke football we're talking about. Consensus- Cut is a great coach and he can pull off a 6-6 season. Obviously they know nothing about Duke football.

You may recall that Neuheisel badly wanted the Duke job after Roof was let go and Duke didn't give him the time of day. So, he may not be the guy to look to for an objective analysis of Duke football. Or maybe even a competent one.

arnie
06-10-2015, 09:07 PM
You may recall that Neuheisel badly wanted the Duke job after Roof was let go and Duke didn't give him the time of day. So, he may not be the guy to look to for an objective analysis of Duke football. Or maybe even a competent one.

Thanks - forgot that. I really don't think either one of em knew anything about Duke football other than Duke's schedule. They did pronounce our opponents names correctly.

OldPhiKap
06-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Hell, we are getting discussed on satellite radio. And the worst they are calling for is .500. We have come a long way!

Having said that -- we have some big questions, but by the same token we have concomitant big upside. I expect we will disappoint the doubters yet again.

We will compete for the Coastal title I think, and I'll take whatever that brings.

nyesq83
06-10-2015, 11:22 PM
Too much uncertainty at QB - and receivers. I agree.

But NO ONE (outside of us) is talking about our RB's.

No one.

I think we have one or two good ones.

And shouldn't our O-line be OK too?

Just curious. Along with Bob Green.

duke blue brewcrew
06-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Hell, we are getting discussed on satellite radio. And the worst they are calling for is .500. We have come a long way!

Having said that -- we have some big questions, but by the same token we have concomitant big upside. I expect we will disappoint the doubters yet again.

We will compete for the Coastal title I think, and I'll take whatever that brings.

Agreed. Even if analysts are getting it wrong because they simply don't follow the Blue Devils closely like the fan base on this board, the fact that Duke Football is getting some air time on a national radio show is progress. I think they are way off base on .500. I agree with Bob, that Duke will be somewhere between 5-3 and 7-1 in the conference, worst case on the low end, 4-4. I do not think that Blue Devils lose a non-conference game this year. Let's be honest, Duke's benefiting from a favorable 2015 schedule. I am sure that I am guilty of looking through Duke blue colored glasses when I evaluate this as objectively as I am able to, but I come up with no worse than 8-4.

jimsumner
06-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Agreed. Even if analysts are getting it wrong because they simply don't follow the Blue Devils closely like the fan base on this board, the fact that Duke Football is getting some air time on a national radio show is progress. I think they are way off base on .500. I agree with Bob, that Duke will be somewhere between 5-3 and 7-1 in the conference, worst case on the low end, 4-4. I do not think that Blue Devils lose a non-conference game this year. Let's be honest, Duke's benefiting from a favorable 2015 schedule. I am sure that I am guilty of looking through Duke blue colored glasses when I evaluate this as objectively as I am able to, but I come up with no worse than 8-4.

I agree. 8-4 seems like the floor for the 2015 Duke team, not the ceiling.

peloton
06-11-2015, 12:04 PM
I think we have one or two good ones.

Peloton: I'll take ACC Football for $100, Alex.

Alex: This ACC program has three very good running backs in Shaquille Powell, Shaun Wilson, and the returning Jela Duncan.

Peloton: Who is Duke University?

Alex: Yes, that's correct.

But, you were probably being sarcastic, Nyesq83 :p. Assuming our offensive line is once again a strength, our running backs should have productive seasons. As much as I've loved our passing game over the years (Bennett, Brown, Renfree, Lewis, Castor, Hines, Vernon, Crowder, and many other very talented QBs/receivers too numerous to list), I suspect we'll have a large dose of running plays. That's fine with me though as I've grown to appreciate the running game more as time goes by. Watching someone such as Shaun Wilson juke and fly past defenders for large chunks of yardage or Jela Duncan shed and punish would be tacklers, is an absolute thing of beauty in my opinion. Let those who underestimate Coach David Cutcliffe and this team do so at their own peril...we shall reap the rewards.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Peloton: I'll take ACC Football for $100, Alex.

Alex: This ACC program has three very good running backs in Shaquille Powell, Shaun Wilson, and the returning Jela Duncan.

Peloton: Who is Duke University?

Alex: Yes, that's correct.

But, you were probably being sarcastic, Nyesq83 :p. Assuming our offensive line is once again a strength, our running backs should have productive seasons. As much as I've loved our passing game over the years (Bennett, Brown, Renfree, Lewis, Castor, Hines, Vernon, Crowder, and many other very talented QBs/receivers too numerous to list), I suspect we'll have a large dose of running plays. That's fine with me though as I've grown to appreciate the running game more as time goes by. Watching someone such as Shaun Wilson juke and fly past defenders for large chunks of yardage or Jela Duncan shed and punish would be tacklers, is an absolute thing of beauty in my opinion. Let those who underestimate Coach David Cutcliffe and this team do so at their own peril...we shall reap the rewards.

Please don't leave Joseph Ajeigbe off the list of very good running backs. The best is yet to be for him.

peloton
06-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Please don't leave Joseph Ajeigbe off the list of very good running backs. The best is yet to be for him.

A pox upon me! DITBD, you are so right and believe me, I think we've yet to see what Joseph's really capable of doing. I'm certainly anxious to find out.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-11-2015, 12:55 PM
A pox upon me! DITBD, you are so right and believe me, I think we've yet to see what Joseph's really capable of doing. I'm certainly anxious to find out.

An embarrassment of riches in running backs ... think nothing of it!

duke blue brewcrew
06-11-2015, 01:34 PM
We can watch this 2015 Duke Football Hype Video and get EVEN MORE fired up for Blue Devils Football! "Be pissed off for greatness, don't settle for mediocrity!"

https://youtu.be/-9H9Q3QUSbg

Dev11
06-11-2015, 01:45 PM
I booked my flights for New Orleans, so perhaps we'll do a special edition podcast live from Bourbon Street after the game. Might have to throw an adult content warning on it.

duke blue brewcrew
06-11-2015, 02:51 PM
I booked my flights for New Orleans, so perhaps we'll do a special edition podcast live from Bourbon Street after the game. Might have to throw an adult content warning on it.

Would that be due to the pre-podcast Hurricane consumption or for passers by who might offer some unsolicited input during said podcast? :)

Bob Green
06-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Scout doesn't think much of our running backs. They rank Duke 10th in the ACC:

http://www.scout.com/college/football/story/1554365-acc-running-back-rankings?s=167

Of course Jela Duncan is back from academic suspension. He should make an impact in the Duke passing game.

While I agree Duncan will make an impact in the passing game, because he is a good receiver coming out of the backfield, my expectation is he will make an impact in the running game first and foremost.

jimsumner
06-13-2015, 03:34 PM

http://www.scout.com/college/football/story/1554365-acc-running-back-rankings?s=167

While I agree Duncan will make an impact in the passing game, because he is a good receiver coming out of the backfield, my expectation is he will make an impact in the running game first and foremost.

I have to entertain one of three possibilities.

1.The ACC has a lot of really good running backs.

2.I'm a terrible homer.

3.Scout is badly under-valuing Duke's running-back contingent.

Or some combination of the above.

uh_no
06-13-2015, 03:44 PM
I have to entertain one of three possibilities.

1.The ACC has a lot of really good running backs.

2.I'm a terrible homer.

3.Scout is badly under-valuing Duke's running-back contingent.

Or some combination of the above.

I think likely they just have many teams to follow and don't keep tabs on exactly who will make what impact nearly as well as we do. The same thing happens with stock analysts...who are following a ton of stocks and thus can't worry about the minutiae to the degree that individuals more intimate with the company can.

duke blue brewcrew
06-22-2015, 06:06 PM

Bob - As the article you just posted in the 2016 Football Recruiting thread, ESPN seems to really like Duke's RB situation:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...ke-blue-devils

A trio of running backs gives Duke perhaps the most depth at that position in the ACC.

Bob Green
06-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Bob - As the article you just posted in the 2016 Football Recruiting thread, ESPN seems to really like Duke's RB situation:

A trio of running backs gives Duke perhaps the most depth at that position in the ACC.

I like the ESPN sound bite a lot more than Scout's. Of course, we actually have quartet of running backs. Joe Ajeigbe is a solid running back who should see increased opportunity in 2015.

Bob Green
06-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Coach Cutcliffe previews the defensive line:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210154494&DB_OEM_ID=4200

duke blue brewcrew
06-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Coach Cutcliffe previews the defensive line:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210154494&DB_OEM_ID=4200

As always, thanks for sharing. Love these previews. Is it late August yet?

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-22-2015, 07:16 PM
As always, thanks for sharing. Love these previews. Is it late August yet?
The football season kicks off for Duke in 73 days.

duke blue brewcrew
06-22-2015, 09:06 PM
The football season kicks off for Duke in 73 days.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...(make it until then)

peloton
06-23-2015, 07:22 PM
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...(make it until then)

Tying into your train theme there (and with recent verbals from Koby Quansah, Tre Hornbuckle, and others), The Blue Devil Football Express is continuing to pickup steam! I'm fully confident that we'll keep picking up momentum as we roll into Nawlins on Sept 3rd with Engineer Cutcliffe at the helm.

P.S. - I finally looked at the video highlights for Mr. Hornbuckle and with some additional muscle/weight, he may very well be another defensive end for us who's effective in putting pressure on opposing QBs. If the staff is excited about this young man, well...I am too.

duke blue brewcrew
06-23-2015, 07:42 PM
Tying into your train theme there (and with recent verbals from Koby Quansah, Tre Hornbuckle, and others), The Blue Devil Football Express is continuing to pickup steam! I'm fully confident that we'll keep picking up momentum as we roll into Nawlins on Sept 3rd with Engineer Cutcliffe at the helm.

P.S. - I finally looked at the video highlights for Mr. Hornbuckle and with some additional muscle/weight, he may very well be another defensive end for us who's effective in putting pressure on opposing QBs. If the staff is excited about this young man, well...I am too.

In Cut I trust. He's given us no reason not to at this point. I am curious if they targeted Mr. Hornbuckle for that new hybrid DE/LB position that is getting debuted this year with Kyler Brown as the starter in that spot. What are your thoughts after looking at the video?

peloton
06-24-2015, 10:20 AM
...What are your thoughts after looking at the video?

I'm certainly no football expert (recruiting or otherwise), but Hornbuckle appears in this highlights video to have the explosiveness off the line and quickness to hopefully wreak some havoc in opposing teams' backfields at the next level. I like the passion and emotion that he displays sometimes after making a big play...I might even go so far as to say he plays with a bit of a mean streak but that's just my perception. I never played football (I'm a shrimp), but I would think emotion like that on the field would be contagious and I personally would have really enjoyed playing with a teammate like that. But yes, in Cut we trust - and that trust appears to certainly be well founded.

budwom
06-24-2015, 11:44 AM

Not to criticize, but when you say "another defensive end for us who's effective in putting pressure on opposing QBs," to whom are you referring as others?

I love where our program is right now, but I would say that arguably our biggest problem over the past few years has been a mediocre to poor pass rush. JDO was pretty good last year, but is gone.
And the current guys like Grier, Williams, Kyler Brown, have shown little. We do have a couple of frosh coming in this year who should be good down the road (perhaps that what you're referring to), but
at this point I expect another tough year when it comes to putting the pressure on QBs.

duke blue brewcrew
06-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Not to criticize, but when you say "another defensive end for us who's effective in putting pressure on opposing QBs," to whom are you referring as others?

I love where our program is right now, but I would say that arguably our biggest problem over the past few years has been a mediocre to poor pass rush. JDO was pretty good last year, but is gone.
And the current guys like Grier, Williams, Kyler Brown, have shown little. We do have a couple of frosh coming in this year who should be good down the road (perhaps that what you're referring to), but
at this point I expect another tough year when it comes to putting the pressure on QBs.

I enjoy reading your posts, you tend to be very insightful and very well thought out in your comments. While I agree Duke is young on the DL and lacks a lot of experience upfront, I believe the talent at those positions (DE,DL) is on an upswing. I do not believe Duke with have a stellar year from the DL, but I do believe the possibility exists that the Blue Devils will be statistically better in that area this year. By this I mean that I expect to see Duke be better against the run and better at pressuring the QB. By next year, I think fans will see a marked improvement from the DL.

peloton
06-24-2015, 01:31 PM

Oh, I understand where you're coming from and I don't view it so much as criticism as wanting clarification. I totally agree that Duke has been unable to consistently put pressure on opponents' quarterbacks for many years now. Yes, my thought/hope is that Tre (and/or one of the other incoming guys) will be the next in a long...er, short line (:)) of Duke players who were able to do this effectively. I'm embarrassed to admit this but I almost totally forgot about one of my fave players from recent years, Kenny Anunike. The guy was an absolute warrior, had a real passion for football (as evidenced by the fact that he had 4 surgeries on his left knee and surgery on his right ankle), yet still was able to make some big plays in the backfield during his time at Duke. Injuries are obviously part of football but I can only imagine how good Kenny might have been had he been pretty much injury free.

Budwom, it will be very interesting to see what transpires because if we can ratchet up the pressure even somewhat in opponents' backfields hopefully the ensuing chaos will setup guys like Kelby, Jeremy, and others to make some big plays. I just have a gut feeling (nothing more) that Mr. Hornbuckle will do his share and maybe more (in time).

Bob Green
06-24-2015, 04:23 PM
I love where our program is right now, but I would say that arguably our biggest problem over the past few years has been a mediocre to poor pass rush.

I agree wholeheartedly. There is a list in my head of five or six concerns for 2015 with "the ability to consistently generate a pass rush" right at the top.

Bob Green
06-24-2015, 04:47 PM
I just have a gut feeling (nothing more) that Mr. Hornbuckle will do his share and maybe more (in time).

Tre Hornbuckle (2016) has another year of high school football in front of him. However, the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes brought in some solid prospects who could make an impact in this season. However, redshirt junior Allen Jackson (6'5" 260) is the first guy to keep your eyes on. He injured his shoulder and underwent surgery as a freshman and has struggled to gain traction ever since. He is healthy now and will provide good size at DE. Jackson wears #96.

Marquies Price (6'6" 225) enrolled early, participated in spring practice, and impressed Coach Cutcliffe. I cannot remember Cutcliffe's exact words so I'm paraphrasing, "Price has the potential to develop into the best DE I've had at Duke." Those are strong words.

Trevon McSwain (6'6" 240) was ranked a few spots higher than Price according to Scout. He will be behind Price from a learning curve perspective due to not having the benefit of spring practice; however, McSwain is a player to keep an eye on.

Taariq Shabazz (6'3" 225) is a rising redshirt freshman who is struggling to get healthy. Expectations are high for Shabazz once he can achieve and maintain his health. This may not happen in 2015.

The future is bright at DE although performance in 2015 remains a big question mark. Can one of the youngsters contribute immediately? We may need them to. Another thing which needs to be pointed out/remembered is Duke will be utilizing a new scheme in 2015 involving the defensive ends and outside linebackers. The scheme will include the use of a hybrid DE/LB who will be operating from an standing position.

duke blue brewcrew
06-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Tre Hornbuckle (2016) has another year of high school football in front of him. However, the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes brought in some solid prospects who could make an impact in this season. However, redshirt junior Allen Jackson (6'5" 260) is the first guy to keep your eyes on. He injured his shoulder and underwent surgery as a freshman and has struggled to gain traction ever since. He is healthy now and will provide good size at DE. Jackson wears #96.

Marquies Price (6'6" 225) enrolled early, participated in spring practice, and impressed Coach Cutcliffe. I cannot remember Cutcliffe's exact words so I'm paraphrasing, "Price has the potential to develop into the best DE I've had at Duke." Those are strong words.

Trevon McSwain (6'6" 240) was ranked a few spots higher than Price according to Scout. He will be behind Price from a learning curve perspective due to not having the benefit of spring practice; however, McSwain is a player to keep an eye on.

Taariq Shabazz (6'3" 225) is a rising redshirt freshman who is struggling to get healthy. Expectations are high for Shabazz once he can achieve and maintain his health. This may not happen in 2015.

The future is bright at DE although performance in 2015 remains a big question mark. Can one of the youngsters contribute immediately? We may need them to. Another thing which needs to be pointed out/remembered is Duke will be utilizing a new scheme in 2015 involving the defensive ends and outside linebackers. The scheme will include the use of a hybrid DE/LB who will be operating from an standing position.

i.e. Kyler Brown's new gig...correct?

Bob Green
06-24-2015, 05:16 PM
i.e. Kyler Brown's new gig...correct?

That's my understanding.

roywhite
06-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Check out some of the Wallace Wade stadium views (slideshow and other features) from this Iron Duke website.

Iron Dukes/ Building for Champions (http://irondukes.visualimmersion.com/Wallace_Wade_Stadium.php)

Indoor66
06-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Has anyone found any new construction photos or videos?

roywhite
06-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Has anyone found any new construction photos or videos?

this from TDD; they have a thread devoted to renovation talk and updates

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/forums/1093-tdd-football

Indoor66
06-28-2015, 08:45 AM

Thanks. I had seen that one. Just wondered if there were any more.

Bob Green
06-28-2015, 09:13 AM

budwom
06-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Oh, I understand where you're coming from and I don't view it so much as criticism as wanting clarification. I totally agree that Duke has been unable to consistently put pressure on opponents' quarterbacks for many years now. Yes, my thought/hope is that Tre (and/or one of the other incoming guys) will be the next in a long...er, short line (:)) of Duke players who were able to do this effectively. I'm embarrassed to admit this but I almost totally forgot about one of my fave players from recent years, Kenny Anunike. The guy was an absolute warrior, had a real passion for football (as evidenced by the fact that he had 4 surgeries on his left knee and surgery on his right ankle), yet still was able to make some big plays in the backfield during his time at Duke. Injuries are obviously part of football but I can only imagine how good Kenny might have been had he been pretty much injury free.

Budwom, it will be very interesting to see what transpires because if we can ratchet up the pressure even somewhat in opponents' backfields hopefully the ensuing chaos will setup guys like Kelby, Jeremy, and others to make some big plays. I just have a gut feeling (nothing more) that Mr. Hornbuckle will do his share and maybe more (in time).

good comments by all you guys. I also see a number of guys (as Bob mentioned) who will eventually give us a solid pass rush...I'm only questioning where it will come from this year...

Bob Green
06-29-2015, 05:01 PM
http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/football/gvx-audio-head-coach-david-cutcliffe-previews-duke-football

On Thomas Sirk and Parker Boehme:

“I think [they have] incredible deep ball ability, maybe more range than we’ve had since we’ve been here," Cutcliffe said. "But, they can run, both of them [are] extremely fast.”

So far I've only read the article, now I'm going to listen to the audio.

Bob Green
06-29-2015, 05:54 PM
An excellent interview, Coach Cutcliffe expressed a lot of optimism on the running game, tight end usage, secondary and special teams.

duke blue brewcrew
06-29-2015, 05:55 PM
This was a great share Bob, thanks as always!

duke blue brewcrew
07-01-2015, 09:15 AM
It looks like Braxton Deaver is back to 100% and should play a major role this year for Duke. This is a very quick read that will put a smile on your face:

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-TE-Braxton-Deaver-back-for-a-sixth-year-says-hes-100-38013121

Deaver is expected to play a big role in helping Thomas Sirk ease in to his new role as starting quarterback. Deaver has also transitioned in to somewhat of a coach on the field, helping a talented, but young, group of tight ends behind him get up to speed during summer workouts.

Bob Green
07-05-2015, 10:19 AM
The roster at GoDuke.com has been partially updated:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22667

Check out true freshman DE Trevon McSwain, #95, who is listed at 6'6" 265. Keyston Fuller, #7, is listed at cornerback. Freshmen T.J. Rahming, Aaron Young and Austin Parker are not listed, and the height/weight of all the returning players are the same as last season. The five rising redshirt freshmen offensive linemen are still listed as OL rather than OG, OT or C. I expect more updates over the coming days.

duke blue brewcrew
07-05-2015, 04:32 PM
The roster at GoDuke.com has been partially updated:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22667

Check out true freshman DE Trevon McSwain, #95, who is listed at 6'6" 265. Keyston Fuller, #7, is listed at cornerback. Freshmen T.J. Rahming, Aaron Young and Austin Parker are not listed, and the height/weight of all the returning players are the same as last season. The five rising redshirt freshmen offensive linemen are still listed as OL rather than OG, OT or C. I expect more updates over the coming days.

It looks like Zach Morris has already been moved to DT on the roster. He's a big boy @ 6'3", 295lbs. This move doesn't surprise me.

Bob Green
07-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Stadium renovation photo:

duke blue brewcrew
07-06-2015, 08:59 AM
It looks like some serious progress is being made. The foundation for the field looks to be getting installed, and the scoreboard looks like it is coming along nicely. I would love to know what the punch list is for this this stage of construction to have Duke ready for kickoff in Sept.

Indoor66
07-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Stadium renovation photo:

That is one biiiiiiggggg sand-box.

duke blue brewcrew
07-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Here is a breakdown of the incoming class, their jersey numbers and a few quick tidbits on the 2015 Duke Football Roster:

It appears TJ Ramming will be sporting his most exciting, and All ACC record setting predecessor's jersey number, #3! Let's hope TJ lives up to the expectations that come along with that number!
When projecting which players may avoid a red-shirt season, the first place to look would likely be Ramming who competed in the US Army All-American game and excelled against the best competition in the country. Blessed with 4.4 speed and the ability to lose defenders with fast footwork, Ramming only needs to add strength to ready himself for the Division One level. He’s listed at 5-foot-10 and 165 pounds, indicating he’s been working hard over the last six months (he measured at 5-foot-9 and 158 pounds at the US Army game)

There is a nice Weight Room Warriors mention that brags on the hard work being put in by Dwayne Norman who is making the transition from safety to WLB, UT transfer Daniel Helm and 5th yr Sr. Cody Robinson.

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1561037-roster-notes-2015-duke-football

duke blue brewcrew
07-07-2015, 08:30 AM
DeVon Edwards has been named to the Paul Hornung Award watch list for the second consecutive year. The Duke secondary has a lot of talent which is getting noticed on the National level, and I am looking forward to watching them take the field again this year! The complete watch list of 44 players is embedded in the link below.

Duke's DeVon Edwards was named to another list today. Just as he was last year, the returning All-ACC rover safety and All-America kick return specialist was named to the Paul Hornung Preseason Award Watch List

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/DeVon-Edwards-named-to-Paul-Hornung-Award-Watch-List-38071481

FerryFor50
07-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Kelby Brown tears ACL again - career over :(

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=210185705

roywhite
07-07-2015, 11:40 AM

Sorry to hear that.
Great heart, great spirit, bad knee.

The courage and dedication you've shown will serve you well in life, Kelby. Thanks and best wishes to you.

CameronBornAndBred
07-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Sigh....so upsetting for everyone. Fans, family, coaches, and most of all Kelby.
Damn.

devildeac
07-07-2015, 11:44 AM

This is truly awful.

Messrs Carmichael, Holmes, Humphreys, Norman, Bere, McDonald and a couple others will have to really elevate their game this season.

So sorry to hear this.

OldPhiKap
07-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Wow, really bad news.

I hope for a successful recovery from surgery, and thanks for all you have done for Duke!

duke blue brewcrew
07-07-2015, 11:50 AM

It just hit my phone on Bleacher Report, so bummed for him and for us as fans who were excited to see him compete one more season in a Duke uniform! I've been through 3 ACL reconstructions, it's not fun. Seeing Kelby's career end like this is a shame.

peloton
07-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Crap. I'm really sorry to hear that...more so for Kelby and his family, than for what it means in regard to Duke football. The team will obviously miss his abilities on the field and just as important, his leadership. However, he'll still be an effective leader of the defensive unit on the sidelines. Let's hope that someone else on the team seizes this opportunity and shows what he's capable of doing given the additional minutes. As we all are, I'm extremely appreciative of everything that Kelby has done to once again make Duke football a force to be reckoned with...he had no small part in that in my opinion.

Olympic Fan
07-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Bad news for Duke ... devastating news for the kid.

Kelby, best wishes for you recovery and your future career ....

Ironic, because earlier today, Kelby was named to the Bednarik preseason watch list (along with Jeremy Cash).

Avvocato
07-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Feel bad for him. The number of times working hard to overcome these injuries. Sad for him. Good luck to him in his recovery and in the future.

ESPN link below:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13214777/torn-acl-ends-duke-blue-devils-mlb-kelby-brown-career

killerleft
07-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Feel bad for him. The number of times working hard to overcome these injuries. Sad for him. Good luck to him in his recovery and in the future.

ESPN link below:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13214777/torn-acl-ends-duke-blue-devils-mlb-kelby-brown-career

Well said. He deseved to reap the rewards for all that work. I feel bad for us fans, too. A healthy Kelby would have been a joy to watch.

Bob Green
07-07-2015, 03:43 PM
First things first, my heart goes out to Kelby Brown who has worked so hard at recovering from multiple injuries...

Our defense suddenly has a huge hole at middle linebacker. Who steps into the starter role? We have no one with any real experience as David Helton dominated the position in 2014 and Kelby in 2013. Roster at GoDuke.com reflects Zavier Carmichael as the back-up MLB. He played in all 13 games in 2014 logging 20 tackles and two interceptions, but I am concerned about his lack of experience calling the defensive alignments and shifts. I suspect Jeremy Cash might takeover the role of aligning/shifting the defense that is traditionally handled by the MLB. Can he effectively do that from the strike safety position? The answer is beyond my level of knowledge.

Avvocato
07-07-2015, 03:55 PM
ESPN posted a brief article on Thomas Sirk and Duke's goal to establish itself as a contender with the next generation of players. Nothing too interesting, but at least ESPN is writing about the program.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/83017/new-duke-qb-sirk-doesnt-expect-blue-devils-to-drop-off

duke blue brewcrew
07-07-2015, 04:08 PM
First things first, my heart goes out to Kelby Brown who has worked so hard at recovering from multiple injuries...

Our defense suddenly has a huge hole at middle linebacker. Who steps into the starter role? We have no one with any real experience as David Helton dominated the position in 2014 and Kelby in 2013. Roster at GoDuke.com reflects Zavier Carmichael as the back-up MLB. He played in all 13 games in 2014 logging 20 tackles and two interceptions, but I am concerned about his lack of experience calling the defensive alignments and shifts. I suspect Jeremy Cash might takeover the role of aligning/shifting the defense that is traditionally handled by the MLB. Can he effectively do that from the strike safety position? The answer is beyond my level of knowledge.

I was wondering the same thing. I think Cash makes a lot of sense as the leader making the calls on D, and that's a great call by you on that one. Then, Duke needs to plug in the two most talented/experienced LBs they have and build experience on the depth chart as the season progresses. Losing Kelby is a HUGE loss, there's no debate. The popular, but unfortunate expression used on this board whenever something like this happens...Next Play.

duke blue brewcrew
07-08-2015, 01:20 PM
It appears that redshirt Freshman OT Kameron Schroeder and Jr. DL Michael Mann have suffered career ending upper body injuries according the report linked below. As a result, it appears that Grey Shirt Fresh QB, Daniel Jones will be immediately awarded a scholarship with the Duke Football Team.

Duke Football came in to the summer one player over the 85-man scholarship limit. Now they're one player under. Today, David Cutcliffe announced that redshirt freshman offensive tackle Kameron Schroeder and junior defensive lineman Michael Mann suffered career-ending upper body injuries and will serve as undergraduate assistant coaches this fall.

On a positive note, true freshman quarterback Daniel Jones, originally slated to be a walk-on this fall and receive a scholarship in January, has been awarded a scholarship immediately

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Two-more-career-ending-injuries-for-Duke-Football-38109752

devildeac
07-08-2015, 01:45 PM
It appears that redshirt Freshman OT Kameron Schroeder and Jr. DL Michael Mann have suffered career ending upper body injuries according the report linked below. As a result, it appears that Grey Shirt Fresh QB, Daniel Jones will be immediately awarded a scholarship with the Duke Football Team.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Two-more-career-ending-injuries-for-Duke-Football-38109752

Damn. I thought the knee injuries to Kelby and Braxton in the 1st or 2nd day of practice last August in non-contact drills were (way too) early injuries. These two are before practice has even started I think. :mad:

OldPhiKap
07-08-2015, 01:55 PM
{sigh}

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Damn. I thought the knee injuries to Kelby and Braxton in the 1st or 2nd day of practice last August in non-contact drills were (way too) early injuries. These two are before practice has even started I think. :mad:
There are practices or workouts going on now, just not with coaches.

I find it interesting that the injuries are reported as upper body injuries and that they happened to two linemen. We know that conditioning has improved greatly and that factor tends to reduce some types or frequency of injuries. Puzzling to say the least!

CameronBornAndBred
07-08-2015, 02:25 PM

I find it interesting that the injuries are reported as upper body injuries and that they happened to two linemen. We know that conditioning has improved greatly and that factor tends to reduce some types or frequency of injuries. Puzzling to say the least!
Sigh...good points. I wonder what the injuries were that they are career ending, especially for a freshman. Spinal? Major concussion?
On a side note, how are we looking at depth at the positions that we've suffered these losses?

Bob Green
07-08-2015, 03:52 PM
On a side note, how are we looking at depth at the positions that we've suffered these losses?

It's a mixed bag. Offensive line depth is outstanding, while DE depth is improving but potentially thin this season.

duke blue brewcrew
07-08-2015, 04:39 PM
It's a mixed bag. Offensive line depth is outstanding, while DE depth is improving but potentially thin this season.

Agreed. The OL has a lot more experience and depth. The DL is very young, but talented and improving.

gep
07-08-2015, 06:41 PM

This also stood out for me. "Career ending" upper body injuries... I'm not sure I've heard of this for football players before... or at least not very common. What/where "upper body". Also, offensive tackle and defensive lineman... opposite sides locked up or something? [just interested, not trying to start anything]

Olympic Fan
07-08-2015, 10:05 PM
I don't mean to be cold blooded or anything, but let's keep the two latest losses in perspective.

Mann is a redshirt junior, who has played 11 snaps in his career at Duke (all in 2013). He was never going to play -- injury or no injury. His loss is bad news for the kid, but doesn't impact Duke's DL depth at all. Without the injury, he plays scout team this season and maybe gets in a couple of blowout games ... then he graduates with his class.

Schroeder is a slightly different story. He was a redshirt freshman who wasn't likely to play this season before the injury. He's young enough that at some point he might have emerged as a useful player, but he was a long, long way from that status. His loss will have no impact on Duke's OL strength next season -- and by ending his career now, Duke can recruit a better prospect at his position.

The release said that both kids would remain with the program as undergrad assistants. I don't know for sure, but in the past such players have remained on scholarship (under NCAA rules, a player who is permanently injured can stay on scholarship and not count against the school's 85 limit).

Sorry for the two kids ... but not much of a blow to the team.

duke blue brewcrew
07-09-2015, 10:18 AM
I don't mean to be cold blooded or anything, but let's keep the two latest losses in perspective.

Mann is a redshirt junior, who has played 11 snaps in his career at Duke (all in 2013). He was never going to play -- injury or no injury. His loss is bad news for the kid, but doesn't impact Duke's DL depth at all. Without the injury, he plays scout team this season and maybe gets in a couple of blowout games ... then he graduates with his class.

Schroeder is a slightly different story. He was a redshirt freshman who wasn't likely to play this season before the injury. He's young enough that at some point he might have emerged as a useful player, but he was a long, long way from that status. His loss will have no impact on Duke's OL strength next season -- and by ending his career now, Duke can recruit a better prospect at his position.

The release said that both kids would remain with the program as undergrad assistants. I don't know for sure, but in the past such players have remained on scholarship (under NCAA rules, a player who is permanently injured can stay on scholarship and not count against the school's 85 limit).

Sorry for the two kids ... but not much of a blow to the team.

The optimist in me agrees with you. It stinks for both of the players, but there is a possible positive spin for the program which you did a good job of pointing out. If the coaches can recruit two upgrades at those positions, then it's a win for the Duke in the bigger picture. I didn't realize Duke was one player over the scholarship limit until Kelby got hurt. My next question probably belongs in the 2016 recruiting thread, but does that mean that Duke only has one more slot available to fill for the '16 recruiting class? Or is there still some purging of older players who won't be getting any PT to help make room for a bigger incoming recruiting class?

Olympic Fan
07-09-2015, 12:50 PM
I didn't realize Duke was one player over the scholarship limit until Kelby got hurt. My next question probably belongs in the 2016 recruiting thread, but does that mean that Duke only has one more slot available to fill for the '16 recruiting class? Or is there still some purging of older players who won't be getting any PT to help make room for a bigger incoming recruiting class?

Duke's practice has always been to go ahead and graduate any fourth-year juniors who are not contributing. They graduate with their original class, clearing room for more talented recruits.

Mann was almost certainly going to be in that group before his injury. I count 11 fourth-year scholarship juniors on the current roster. Some are players that we definitely want back for 2016 -- Thomas Sirk, Tanner Stone, Jela Duncan, AJ Wolf ... I'm not going to suggest candidates for graduation, but there are three or four, depending on whether somebody makes a breakthrough this year. Injuries could open up another spot or two ... or academic problems.

That brings up a point about one of the difficulties Cut faces. At most schools, academic casualties clear out a number of players each year -- giving those coaches more recruiting room to bring in big classes year after year. It's amazing how SEC schools in particular rarely lose stars to academics, but frequent lose marginal recruits. Hmmm. Duke is limited because it has the highest retention rate in college football. Cut can't recruit over his recruiting mistakes (and even though he's a great judge of talent, he does make such mistakes).

I'm actually proud that our program has to deal with that problem.

duke blue brewcrew
07-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Duke's practice has always been to go ahead and graduate any fourth-year juniors who are not contributing. They graduate with their original class, clearing room for more talented recruits.

Mann was almost certainly going to be in that group before his injury. I count 11 fourth-year scholarship juniors on the current roster. Some are players that we definitely want back for 2016 -- Thomas Sirk, Tanner Stone, Jela Duncan, AJ Wolf ... I'm not going to suggest candidates for graduation, but there are three or four, depending on whether somebody makes a breakthrough this year. Injuries could open up another spot or two ... or academic problems.

That brings up a point about one of the difficulties Cut faces. At most schools, academic casualties clear out a number of players each year -- giving those coaches more recruiting room to bring in big classes year after year. It's amazing how SEC schools in particular rarely lose stars to academics, but frequent lose marginal recruits. Hmmm. Duke is limited because it has the highest retention rate in college football. Cut can't recruit over his recruiting mistakes (and even though he's a great judge of talent, he does make such mistakes).

Great feedback and thanks! FWIW - I agree that Duke's problem of having the highest retention rate in all of college football is both impressive and a point of pride. That should equate to high graduation rates which should yield better jobs and a higher quality of life post football for Duke football players. That's a huge selling point in my eyes.

Kfanarmy
07-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Just FMI, what do you mean by this term?

duke blue brewcrew
07-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Unless I'm missing something, he's referencing kids who red-shirted as Freshmen and would technically be Seniors. Football eligibility makes them 4th year Jr.s or Red-shirt Juniors if that helps.

roywhite
07-09-2015, 01:15 PM

That's not an unusual term, in following college sports. Another term would be "redshirt junior". It describes a student-athlete who is in his 4th year of attendance, but has 1 more year of athletic eligibility remaining because he/she had not used all 4 years to that point, most commonly not participating in their first year of attendance or red shirting.

Olympic Fan and others indicate that the coaches can inform the player that they're not likely to play much additionally, and that their scholarship will be finished after the 4th year of attendance.

Kfanarmy
07-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Unless I'm missing something, he's referencing kids who red-shirted as Freshmen and would technically be Seniors. Football eligibility makes them 4th year Jr.s or Red-shirt Juniors if that helps.

That's not an unusual term, in following college sports. Another term would be "redshirt junior". It describes a student-athlete who is in his 4th year of attendance, but has 1 more year of athletic eligibility remaining because he/she had not used all 4 years to that point, most commonly not participating in their first year of attendance or red shirting.

Olympic Fan and others indicate that the coaches can inform the player that they're not likely to play much additionally, and that their scholarship will be finished after the 4th year of attendance.

Thank You both. IMO, it is a bit odd to use an academic term (junior) based on number of athletic eligibility years used even though the individual is in his 4th year academically (a senior). It just seems so UNC-like to bastardize the definition in such a way that athletic participation is more important than academic participation. It just seems more appropriate to call them Seniors who redshirted.

budwom
07-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Thank You both. IMO, it is a bit odd to use an academic term (junior) based on number of athletic eligibility years used even though the individual is in his 4th year academically (a senior). It just seems so UNC-like to bastardize the definition in such a way that athletic participation is more important than academic participation. It just seems more appropriate to call them Seniors who redshirted.

But if you're a fan watching a game and gaping at the program, the designation redshirt junior clearly indicates he has one more year of eligibility.

Then again, you drive on a parkway, and park in a driveway, so who knows what this Inglish language is all about?

duke blue brewcrew
07-09-2015, 05:33 PM
But if you're a fan watching a game and gaping at the program, the designation redshirt junior clearly indicates he has one more year of eligibility.

Then again, you drive on a parkway, and park in a driveway, so who knows what this Inglish language is all about?

Now there's a conundrum for ya!

sagegrouse
07-09-2015, 05:57 PM

The term "redshirt sophomore" is pretty-much universally applied to a student who is a junior academically but is only in his second year of eligibility. It's just a term that helps communication and not pejorative in any way.

gep
07-09-2015, 06:26 PM
FWIW... I also thought "fourth year junior" sounded weird. If I saw "redshirt junior", I wouldn't have thought anything of it. But "fourth year junior" by itself imiplies fourth year "academic" junior... doesn't cast a really good light. But redshirt junior, to me, is clearly an athletic designation.

johnb
07-09-2015, 08:59 PM
our secret weapon for the upcoming season features the downward dog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/83089/yoga-class-tortures-then-trains-duke-team

TruBlu
07-10-2015, 06:12 AM
our secret weapon for the upcoming season features the downward dog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/83089/yoga-class-tortures-then-trains-duke-team

But, are they taking ballet lessons?

(For those who remember the Tom Harp years)

duke blue brewcrew
07-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Matt Skura - Named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List - Rimington Trophy is awarded to the Top Center

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Matt-Skura-named-to-the-Rimington-Trophy-Watch-List-38121593

Braxton Deaver named to the Mackey Award Watch List - Mackey Award is given annually to the Nation's Top Tight End

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Braxton-Deaver-named-to-Mackey-Award-Watch-List-38121568

Kfanarmy
07-10-2015, 04:42 PM
The term "redshirt sophomore" is pretty-much universally applied to a student who is a junior academically but is only in his second year of eligibility. It's just a term that helps communication and not pejorative in any way.

Got it...didn't take it as pejorative in any case, just perhaps a bit upside in its priotization of athletics over academics in using an academic term.

Bob Green
07-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Steve Wiseman with a nice article on Dwayne Norman and the linebackers:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/colleges/x399476277/New-linebacker-Norman-brings-experience-for-Duke

“I think overall we are going to have a very, very athletic defense, a defense that can run sideline to sideline from the d-linemen to the fastest safeties,” Norman said. “Us being able to run with any team in the country won’t be a problem. We have a lot of experienced guys who know the playbook and could make the calls we need to make and play even faster. I think our defense will be good.”

duke blue brewcrew
07-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Steve Wiseman with a nice article on Dwayne Norman and the linebackers:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/colleges/x399476277/New-linebacker-Norman-brings-experience-for-Duke

That was a good read, thanks for sharing. It's a great illustration of the depth and youth at the LB position, and of the unique challenges Norman faces this year. Playing LB for the first time ever and being leader of the LB group is a lot of pressure. I'm glad Kelby will be there in a coaching role. I can see Kelby making a successful career out of coaching. I don't know him, but he strikes me as that kind of guy. He will be a great rescource for Norman this year, I'm certain of that.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-11-2015, 11:52 AM
That was a good read, thanks for sharing. It's a great illustration of the depth and youth at the LB position, and of the unique challenges Norman faces this year. Playing LB for the first time ever and being leader of the LB group is a lot of pressure. I'm glad Kelby will be there in a coaching role. I can see Kelby making a successful career out of coaching. I don't know him, but he strikes me as that kind of guy. He will be a great rescource for Norman this year, I'm certain of that.

The last I heard about Kelby's long range plans, he's planning to complete his graduate program in the divinity school, then take the entrance exams for medical school in the spring.

sagegrouse
07-11-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm glad Kelby will be there in a coaching role. I can see Kelby making a successful career out of coaching. I don't know him, but he strikes me as that kind of guy.

The last I heard about Kelby's long range plans, he's planning to complete his graduate program in the divinity school, then take the entrance exams for medical school in the spring.

Cited in his Duke bio with a 3.729 GPA in evolutionary anthropology. I expect Kelby will succeed in whatever he chooses to do.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Kelby the elder (Kelby Jr's dad), told me the same last season. He wants to be a doctor, probably an orthopedic surgeon. That way he can replace his own knees in about 20 years! He knew he couldn't do med school while still playing. The time commitment for both is too great to do them at the same time. GTHc!

devildeac
07-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Kelby the elder (Kelby Jr's dad), told me the same last season. He wants to be a doctor, probably an orthopedic surgeon. That way he can replace his own knees in about 20 years! He knew he couldn't do med school while still playing. The time commitment for both is too great to do them at the same time. GTHc!

I'll confirm this also. Chatted w/Kelby Sr for a while in April this year as we both shopped for championship swag. He was sooooo upbeat about his son's return to the field and how his rehab had progressed so well. Fine young man who should make a fine Duke Div grad next spring and physician in the years to come.

Jim3k
07-12-2015, 03:33 PM
He knew he couldn't do med school while still playing. The time commitment for both is too great to do them at the same time. GTHc!

Certainly a correct observation. Still, while rare, it has happened. At Duke, IIRC, it happened during the 1963 season when running back Billy Futrell (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/billy-futrell-1.html) took his first year med classes while also spending a lot of time in the offensive backfield behind Scotty Glacken.

roywhite
07-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Certainly a correct observation. Still, while rare, it has happened. At Duke, IIRC, it happened during the 1963 season when running back Billy Futrell (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/billy-futrell-1.html) took his first year med classes while also spending a lot of time in the offensive backfield behind Scotty Glacken.

And I believe also in 1972, when Bob Fitch played LB while taking his first year at Duke Med.

sagegrouse
07-12-2015, 07:28 PM

Dave Uible was the QB; Scotty Glacken was a freshman then. Futrell, I believe, hardly ever came to practice, although he did run for a long touchdown against UNC in the final game.

Jim3k
07-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Dave Uible was the QB; Scotty Glacken was a freshman then. Futrell, I believe, hardly ever came to practice, although he did run for a long touchdown against UNC in the final game.

No, Sage. You are mixing it up with 1962, except Uible didn't play that year. QB in '62 was divided between Walt Rappold and Gil Garner. Uible, a senior with you and me, got hurt early in the 1963 season--a career ender. In 1963 Glacken was a soph and an amazing player. Check the stats.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/duke/1963.html

I think I remember Glacken's first TD as a long one to Jay Wilkinson.

sagegrouse
07-13-2015, 12:13 AM
No, Sage. You are mixing it up with 1962, except Uible didn't play that year. QB in '62 was divided between Walt Rappold and Gil Garner. Uible, a senior with you and me, got hurt early in the 1963 season--a career ender. In 1963 Glacken was a soph and an amazing player. Check the stats.

You are right about Glacken; he did play in 1963. But Bill Futrell ran for a TD in a losing effort against Carolina at Duke in November 1963 (14-16). He was Class of 1963 and a first-year med student at the time.

Olympic Fan
07-13-2015, 12:15 AM

just checked the QB stats in last year's Duke brochure ( p. 155).

Uible started the South Carolina opener in 1963 throwing for 109 yards in a 22-14 win.

He also started the second game, a 30-8 victory over Virginia, but he clearly didn't finish the game -- he threw just five passes ... Glacken, who played briefly in the South Carolina, opener, came off the bench and threw for 79 yards and a TD against the Cavs.

Uible didn't play again that season ... Glacken started the last eight games. He actually started 24 straight games until he was hurt midway through the 1965 season.

Note: In 1962, Uible barely played -- he attempted two passes in three games (one of which was intercepted). Walt Rappold started every game in 1962, although Gil Garner saw a lot of action.

duke blue brewcrew
07-13-2015, 08:13 AM
1 month 21 days left until kickoff people. May joyful recruiting news for both programs sustain us as fans until then! GO DUKE!

Bob Green
07-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Coach Cutcliffe discusses the linebackers:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210201157&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Merlindevildog91
07-13-2015, 08:02 PM

I soarked Jim3k and let him know Billy Futrell is a distant cousin, and he suggested some people might like an update on him. Last I heard, he was still at the University of Pittsburgh medical center in their plastic surgery department. He was head of the department for a long time but gave that up.

Continue with the 2015 discussion. I am having football withdrawals.

duke blue brewcrew
07-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Coach Cutcliffe discusses the linebackers:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210201157&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Outside of, we're young, athletic and we have a lot of freshman I'm not going to talk about, not much is said in this one. I'm guessing this was either done before Kyler went down and they edited all of that out, or there wasn't much to say w/ the glaring absence of Kelby in the starting lineup.

Jim3k
07-14-2015, 03:48 AM
But Bill Futrell ran for a TD in a losing effort against Carolina at Duke in November 1963 (14-16). He was Class of 1963 and a first-year med student at the time.

As a player, Futrell was clearly considered a senior. IIRC (and I often don't), Futrell had sat out one of his earlier years due to an injury, which left him eligible for that '63 season . I tend to think Sage is right, that Billy had actually graduated that spring. I did check my ancient graduation program for the '64 class and Futrell is not there, even for those who had a September '63 graduation. That means, conclusively, that Futrell had graduated with the '63 class that spring.

Sage is certainly right that Futrell hardly practiced with the team that fall. He did participate in preseason practice, but when classes started, he frequently had to eschew in-season practices due to the demands of med school.

Thanks to Merlindevildog91 for the update on Dr. Futrell.

Bob Green
07-14-2015, 05:39 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210210608&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Members of the Blue Devil football program took to Duke's campus early Tuesday morning to pick up trash and debris as part of the team’s annual campus cleanup project.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-15-2015, 11:15 AM
How wonderful! Kelby is on the watch list for the Wuerffel Trophy.
http://www1.nmnathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210212793&DB_OEM_ID=4200

CameronBornAndBred
07-15-2015, 11:18 AM
50 days!!!

Bob Green
07-15-2015, 12:41 PM
The turf is going in!

duke blue brewcrew
07-15-2015, 01:57 PM
The turf is going in!

Two thumbs up, very exciting!

Indoor66
07-15-2015, 02:16 PM
The turf is going in!

I have always contended that the Grass is Greener.

duke blue brewcrew
07-15-2015, 07:07 PM
This is a great breakdown of one of Duke Football's strongest assets - their Defensive Secondary. One of the things I found most interesting outside of the positional analysis of starters vs. reserves, was brief discussion regarding the reasons behind the use of the 4-2-5 alignment for the defense.

As more and more offenses shift to more spread-based offenses, the importance of defensive backs is only amplified. One of the main weapons of the spread is to match up a faster and quicker receiver on a lumbering linebacker or defensive end and exploit that mismatch. However, defenses like Duke's 4-2-5 are now designed to account for that mismatch.

It will be fun to watch the youth develop behind the Blue Devils' established and talented veterans, and hopefully contribute this year when Duke needs them to step up. Enjoy the quick read...

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/2015-Duke-Football-Defensive-Backs-Preview-38221510

duke blue brewcrew
07-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Football practice starts Aug. 1...thank goodness! That should give this board a little more to talk about, and I for one am excited for any and all reports coming out of practice about the players in new roles for this season. Adam Rowe provides a quick breakdown of the team for this season, including some great questions that we as fans can't wait to have answered.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-Football-starts-Fall-Camp-on-August-1st-38239630

Pghdukie
07-16-2015, 06:27 PM
It seems that speed has been upgraded league-wise. My question to all is - Can we keep up? The loss of Crowder really hurts. Just my honest opinion

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Congratulations to Shaquille Powell for being named to the watch list for the Doak Walker Award! He's a 4 star recruit who's going to have an outstanding senior season.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210220475&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Bob Green
The loss of Crowder really hurts. Just my honest opinion

As does the loss of Tomlinson, Cofield, Blakeney, Snead, Bruce...

But that is the reality of college sports, players use up their eligibility and move on to the next phase of life. As far as wide receiver goes, there two open spots on the outside and a list of folks competing to start: Johnell Barnes, Chris Taylor, Trevon Lee, Anthony Nash, Terrence Alls, Quay Chambers, T.J. Rahming and Aaron Young.

Barnes and Taylor are the leaders heading into camp. We will be fine. I am optimistic.

Olympic Fan
It seems that speed has been upgraded league-wise. My question to all is - Can we keep up? The loss of Crowder really hurts. Just my honest opinion

Everybody loses stars ...

If you are going to be a great program you have to replace them. We'll see with Crowder.

But just speed-wise ... Duke is faster this season (both in absolute terms and relative to the league) than it has ever been.

BTW Crowder was a great player and our best playmaker ... but he wasn't one of our 4-5 fastest players.

Avvocato
07-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Not sure if anyone has already posted this, but saw that Laura Keeley at the N&O has started a series on the ten most important players for Duke this season. No. 8 is Johnell Barnes. The links to No. 9 (Sirk) and No. 10 (Will Monday) are at the bottom of the article.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article27299125.html

Bob Green
07-16-2015, 07:37 PM
No. 8 is Johnell Barnes. The links to No. 9 (Sirk) and No. 10 (Will Monday) are at the bottom of the article.

I applaud Ms. Keeley for doing this, it is a tough exercise, but I have to say Thomas Sirk would be higher than #9 on my list. He wouldn't be #1 but he certainly would be no lower than #3. So who would be #1? I'd have to go with whoever ends up as the starting middle linebacker (Zavier Carmichael?). David Helton/Kelby Brown left some huge shoes to fill.

Pghdukie
07-16-2015, 08:08 PM
I believe that Sirk can do job. IF he gets the help we expect him to get. The chain is as strong as its weakest link

Avvocato
07-16-2015, 10:25 PM
I applaud Ms. Keeley for doing this, it is a tough exercise, but I have to say Thomas Sirk would be higher than #9 on my list. He wouldn't be #1 but he certainly would be no lower than #3.

Bob,

I have to agree. To me, Sirk is the key. We have other holes and question marks, but we have no idea what Sirk can do as the starter. If he can't make conversions and move the chains, teams will stack the line and key on our running game. If we fall behind and can't throw well, teams can run against us and control the clock. I think if he plays well, we should be in good shape. To me, he's the key.

Richard Berg
07-17-2015, 12:06 AM

Given the timing & messaging, I wonder if the incident was more akin to JWill / Blair Holliday than to Deaver/Brown.

Olympic Fan
07-17-2015, 12:30 AM
The 10 "most important" players are very different from the 10 best.

Going into this season, I don't see how Thomas Sirk can't be listed as Duke's most important player. Based on what we know about the core of the team, I agree that it's pretty simple -- if Sirk performs at a high level, Duke will be very good. If he fails, Duke will struggle (until and unless Parker Boehme or Nico Pierre step up).

If I had to list the 10 best players at Duke, I'd go:

1. S Jeremy Cash (by one scouting report, the best safety in the country ... certainly has to be the leader of the Duke defense).
2. C Matt Skura (Duke's best, most experienced OL ... has to step up and replace Laken Tomlinson as the leader up front)
3. S/CB Devon Edwards (first rate and versatile DB, plus a killer kick returner)
4. TE Braxton Deaver (I know he's coming off injury, but he looks to be Duke's top receiving threat)
5. TB Jela Duncan (a beast)
5a. TB Shaq Powell (another beast)
6. DT Carlos Wray (the anchor of the DL)
7. CB Breon Borders (becoming one of the best cover corners in the ACC)
8. PK Ross Martin (the most accurate PK in Duke history)
9. RB/WR Shaun Wilson (explosive back will be used as a runner and receiver)
10. PT Will Monday (one of the most reliable punters in the ACC)

But the six players whose development will have the most to do with Duke's success or failure:

1. QB Thomas Sirk
2. LB Chris Holmes (showed signs of excellence last year after being converted to LB)
3. OT Gabe Brandner (not much experience, but the redshirt soph has the skill to replace Tacoby Cofield ... he's the one real newcomer on the OL)
4. WR Chris Taylor (a much-praised redshirt freshman ... I don't know but I heard a lot more about him that the more-hyped Trevon Lee)
5. LB Dwayne Norman (an experienced safety who was always good against the run, but struggled in coverage ... can he make the transition to LB?)
6. WR TJ Rahming (a true freshman and small, but he has explosive skills ... can he be the playmaker we need to replace Crowder?)

Obviously, Duke is very strong at the running back (especially with Sirk, a proven runner, at QB), in the secondary and on special teams. I think the OL is solid (Brandner or whoever starts at LT the only question mark) and solid (if not dominating) in the interior of the defensive line.

I think the big question marks are our LBs, our DEs and our WRs. We have talented young players at all of those positions, but they are mostly inexperienced and unproven.

duke blue brewcrew
07-17-2015, 12:35 AM
I applaud Ms. Keeley for doing this, it is a tough exercise, but I have to say Thomas Sirk would be higher than #9 on my list. He wouldn't be #1 but he certainly would be no lower than #3. So who would be #1? I'd have to go with whoever ends up as the starting middle linebacker (Zavier Carmichael?). David Helton/Kelby Brown left some huge shoes to fill.

I have to agree. If nothing else, Sirk will touch the ball on EVERY offensive possesion he's on the field as the starting QB for Duke. That alone would put him at the very least, in my Top 3.

tux
07-17-2015, 01:33 PM
I have to agree. If nothing else, Sirk will touch the ball on EVERY offensive possesion he's on the field as the starting QB for Duke. That alone would put him at the very least, in my Top 3.

So Sirk may be the primary determinant of Duke's ceiling this year?

If he's serviceable but not great, Duke can probably still get to 6 wins given the schedule. If he's on Boone's level, we can probably get to 8-9 wins if the receivers also play well. Hopefully Sirk proves to be a more accurate passer than Boone.

Football season can't get here fast enough. Can't wait to see how this team performs.

duke blue brewcrew
07-17-2015, 01:51 PM

If he's serviceable but not great, Duke can probably still get to 6 wins given the schedule. If he's on Boone's level, we can probably get to 8-9 wins if the receivers also play well. Hopefully Sirk proves to be a more accurate passer than Boone.

Football season can't get here fast enough. Can't wait to see how this team performs.

Sirk will benefit from having Braxton Deaver's leadership back this year. Replacing Cofeild & Tomlinson on the OL will be key for Duke. There's a ton of depth and talent, but not a lot of experience to replace Crowder & Blakeney. The RBs are SET and they should be exciting to watch. Should all of those elements come together as anticipated, Sirk should be fine. The DL should be interesting. Lots of youth & talent, not a wealth of experience. Leadership and youth are factors for the LBs, who can step up and lead in the absence of Kelby. Norman, a 1st year LB transitioning from Safety, will be the leader of the group. The secondary is as solid as it get's for Duke Football.

tux
07-17-2015, 01:55 PM
The secondary is as solid as it get's for Duke Football.

Amazing when you think where the secondary was when Cut arrived and during his first couple of seasons. A major weakness has become a strength.

Hopefully the stadium renovations give recruiting an additional bump next year...

oldnavy
07-18-2015, 11:49 AM

If he's serviceable but not great, Duke can probably still get to 6 wins given the schedule. If he's on Boone's level, we can probably get to 8-9 wins if the receivers also play well. Hopefully Sirk proves to be a more accurate passer than Boone....

I certainly hope Sirk is more accurate than Boone.

Boone never impressed me as a passer. He seemed to over throw receivers on a regular basis.

I don't know if his completion percentage would back up what I remember (too lazy to look it up and not sure that it would change my perception anyway), but I do have many memories of missed open receivers.

Boone appeared to be an outstanding leader, but his arm and timing was not his strong suit IMO.

OldPhiKap
07-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Boone never impressed me as a passer. He seemed to over throw receivers on a regular basis.

I don't know if his completion percentage would back up what I remember (too lazy to look it up and not sure that it would change my perception anyway), but I do have many memories of missed open receivers.

Boone appeared to be an outstanding leader, but his arm and timing was not his strong suit IMO.

I think that is a very fair synopsis. Love Anrhony and we will miss his leadership and reading experience. But other than throwing it out deep for Crowder to run under, downfield passing was not a real strong part of our attack. Would love to see that change.

Olympic Fan
07-18-2015, 12:52 PM

I did it look it up and while Boone was not inaccurate by any means, he was not a pinpoint passer. Actually, the perception that Boone was inaccurate could be due to two factors -- he was more accurate as a junior in 2013 (64.0 percent) than as a senior in 2014 (56.3 percent); plus he followed Sean Renfree, who was simply the most accurate passer in Duke history (64.7 for his career, including 67.3 as a senior in 2012).

For his career, Boone completed 540 of 908 passes ... a solid 59.4 percent.

That's better than Thad Lewis (58.1 percent), although to be fair, Lewis was slightly over 60 percent in his two years under Cut.

Still, compared to some of the best passers in Duke history, Boone compares very favorably in terms of accuracy:

Ben Bennett was at an almost identical 59.6
Dave Brown was 54.9
Anthony Dilweg was 57.6 (with a high of 59.3 -- less than Boone's career total -- in 1988 when he was ACC POY)
Spence Fisher was 57.4
Leo Hart was 55.4
Steve Slayden was 58.1
Al Woodall was 53.4
Scotty Glacken was 53.1

And future NFL Hall of Fame QB Sonny Jurgensen was 49.7

Boone's career accuracy was among the best in Duke history -- Bennett was fractionally better ... Renfree was much better. Boone did have a somewhat less effective year in 2014, but his 56.3 last year was in line with most of Duke's great passers.

BTW He also shows up well in TD/interception ratio, which is a function of accuracy (and decision-making). Boone was 35/24 for his career and 19/8 as a senior ... that's better than Renfree's 19/10 as a senior and his 51/40 ratio for his career,

Finally, there is Mr. Sirk. He has not thrown much -- and most of his passes have come in situations where he was expected to run in short yardage -- but he still completed 71.4 percent of his 14 attempts for three TDs and no interceptions. The best comparison to that I can find is Brandon Connette in 2012, when he played exactly the same role as Sirk did last year as the short-yardage QB. Connette hit 5 of 13 passes that season for 3 TDs. A year later, he was forced to become the fulltime QB when Boone was hurt. He hit 62.1 percent of 145 passes for 13 TDs and six ints.

If Sirk can be that efficient as the fulltime QB, we'll be in good shape this year.

Richard Berg
07-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Boone was certainly capable of completing difficult passes, both in the "thread the needle" and "long bomb" senses, and did so on occasion. I think the perception of inaccuracy comes from the mental errors that would have gotten any HS QB yanked. In short, when he was off, he was REALLY off. The 1st quarter against ASU is particularly fresh in our minds.

budwom
07-18-2015, 02:41 PM
I think the perception of inaccuracy (factual as far as I am concerned) is that Cutcliffe's offense depends on quite a few short passes, and last year Boone missed FAR more of these (e.g. passes
out onto the flat) than he should have. So I'm guessing that compared to guys like Bennett et al, Boone's average pass attempt was a shorter one. No way I can prove this, of course.
But I did see him make an unacceptable number of bad passes on very short routes last year.

Moot point now, let's see what Sirk can do. I'm hopeful.

Olympic Fan
07-18-2015, 05:42 PM
I think the perception of inaccuracy (factual as far as I am concerned) is that Cutcliffe's offense depends on quite a few short passes, and last year Boone missed FAR more of these (e.g. passes
out onto the flat) than he should have.

Hard to measure easy vs. hard throws, but allow me to offer his -- average yards per completion.

As you say, Cut's offense depends on short passes, so the average per completion for his three fulltime QBs at Duke:

Thad Lewis: 11.5 yards (11.0 in the two years under Cut)
Sean Renfree: 10.5 yards
Anthony Boone: 10.7 yards

So the passes Boone completed in his career were slightly longer per completion than Renfree's ... slightly shorter than Lewis. But he's right in the middle of the trio.

While Boone could have bad stretches, I think his overall accuracy was not bad at all.

OldPhiKap
07-18-2015, 06:21 PM
I don't think we can compare QB completion percentages between a swing-pass offense like we run now with the traditional passing of the pre-Montana/Young emergence of this style.

And yeah, I'll admit I suffer some recent bias from El Paso. Should not have got that tattoo in Juarez right before the game, but let's say my senses we're heightened.

sagegrouse
07-18-2015, 07:14 PM
OF -- Stats, well, don't always tell the story. At several points last year Boone couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I mean, we are talking Zack Asack inaccuracy. The Sun Bowl is the most memorable example, but there were others.

Sage
'In fact, our relative success in the second half against ASU appeared to be because the coaches simplified the offense so that Boone didn't have to throw downfield, although my memory may be fogged'

roywhite
07-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Hard to measure easy vs. hard throws, but allow me to offer his -- average yards per completion.

As you say, Cut's offense depends on short passes, so the average per completion for his three fulltime QBs at Duke:

Thad Lewis: 11.5 yards (11.0 in the two years under Cut)
Sean Renfree: 10.5 yards
Anthony Boone: 10.7 yards

So the passes Boone completed in his career were slightly longer per completion than Renfree's ... slightly shorter than Lewis. But he's right in the middle of the trio.

While Boone could have bad stretches, I think his overall accuracy was not bad at all.

When we speak of accuracy, it's important to consider passes that were NOT completed as well as an average per completion.

Some numbers
Thad Lewis in 2009 --- 61.0% completion; 134.46 efficiency rating

Sean Renfree in 2011 -- 65.0% completion; 126.51 efficiency rating

Anthony Boone in 2014 -- 56.3% completion; 116.7 efficiency rating

Adding my own "eye test", I'll agree with previous posters that Anthony Boone, while a tough and competitive leader, was not a very accurate passer, compared to recent Duke QB's and compared to what we'd like to see with Coach Cut's offense.

I look forward to seeing Sirk.

Pghdukie
07-18-2015, 07:23 PM
What's not takin into consideration is YAC (yards after catch). This stat has a way of skewing numbers. QB throws a 5yd pass to RB, who in turn breaks a tackle and runs 80yds for a TD. Stats show 1-1 for 80yds and 1 TD. Looks great on paper but RB did all the work

Indoor66
07-18-2015, 08:12 PM
What's not takin into consideration is YAC (yards after catch). This stat has a way of skewing numbers. QB throws a 5yd pass to RB, who in turn breaks a tackle and runs 80yds for a TD. Stats show 1-1 for 80yds and 1 TD. Looks great on paper but RB did all the work

That type analysis is applicable to every team sport. Stats for one player are the result of the effots of the whole. That is why the eye test still has a great deal of validity.

Olympic Fan
07-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Has this been posted? Sports Illustrated looks at the ACC's best pro draft prospects:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/17/2016-nfl-draft-primer-acc-tyler-boyd-kendal-fuller

They list Jeremy Cash as the ACC's No. 5 NFL prospect.

Then they go through every team and list the next-best (or best, in case of the schools that don't have a top 10 prospect) prospect. Duke's next guy is center Matt Skura.

Bob Green
07-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Freshman DT Zach Morris has tore his right ACL:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210187925&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke freshman defensive tackle Zach Morris will miss the 2015 season after suffering a torn right anterior cruciate ligament.

jimsumner
07-19-2015, 02:39 PM

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210187925&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke is pretty deep at DT and Morris wasn't going to play this season. Just needs to get healthy for down the road.

devildeac
07-19-2015, 03:59 PM

Four down (am I counting correctly?) and out and "official" practice hasn't even started yet. Grrr......

Olympic Fan
07-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Four down (am I counting correctly?) and out and "official" practice hasn't even started yet. Grrr......

It is four down, but, not to sound heartless, only the loss of Kelby Brown impacts this year's team.

The other three guys weren't going to play this year.

On the other hand, losing Brown hurts A LOT.

Acymetric
07-19-2015, 06:37 PM
It is four down, but, not to sound heartless, only the loss of Kelby Brown impacts this year's team.

Yeah but we're still losing huge chunks of development time for potential future contributors which is what I think most people would be worried about here.

jimsumner
07-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Yeah but we're still losing huge chunks of development time for potential future contributors which is what I think most people would be worried about here.

Morris loses a year of practice time. Schroeder and Mann suffered career-ending injuries. If you wanted to go into full Darwinian mode, you could argue that the three career-ending injuries give more practice time to potential future contributors.

But that doesn't fill the huge hole left by Brown's injury.

devildeac
07-19-2015, 07:37 PM

Doesn't sound heartless at all, just sounds like reality. I seem to recall that we had a relatively "light" injury year last season, except of course for the year long absences of both Kelby and Braxton. Hope these are not bad omens for the 2015 campaign.

johnb
07-19-2015, 09:41 PM

From watching tv, Boone seems like a terrific person, but did you watch him throw? Lewis and Renfree were much more accurate qb's.

Olympic Fan
07-19-2015, 10:29 PM
From watching tv, Boone seems like a terrific person, but did you watch him throw? Lewis and Renfree were much more accurate qb's.

I've seen every Duke game in the Cut era ... Renfree was more accurate, yes ... but Lewis was VERY similar to Boone ... and the numbers prove it.

duke09hms
07-19-2015, 11:34 PM
I've seen every Duke game in the Cut era ... Renfree was more accurate, yes ... but Lewis was VERY similar to Boone ... and the numbers prove it.

Not really. Thad got almost no time to throw on every play because a. our offensive line was terrible and b. our run game was terrible (constant blitz). The fact that Boone and Thad even have similar stats indicates Thad was a much better and more accurate QB. Thad also had a much higher efficiency rating and yards per completion with only two years under Cut.

Not knocking Boone here. He was a great leader and graduates as the winningest QB in Duke history, but Thad under center last year would have sent us to the ACC Championship game and maybe even a bowl win. There's a reason one plays on Sundays.

revmel53
07-20-2015, 04:17 AM
Not really. Thad got almost no time to throw on every play because a. our offensive line was terrible and b. our run game was terrible (constant blitz). The fact that Boone and Thad even have similar stats indicates Thad was a much better and more accurate QB. Thad also had a much higher efficiency rating and yards per completion with only two years under Cut.

Not knocking Boone here. He was a great leader and graduates as the winningest QB in Duke history, but Thad under center last year would have sent us to the ACC Championship game and maybe even a bowl win. There's a reason one plays on Sundays.

I concur with the last post. Lewis played with far less talent. Boone is a great young man, but his stretches of over/underthrowing by five yards was more than frustrating.

budwom
07-20-2015, 07:51 AM
Yup, and his what, eight point drop in completion percentage last year really was indicative of his play, not some statistical quirk.

duke blue brewcrew
07-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Duke is pretty deep at DT and Morris wasn't going to play this season. Just needs to get healthy for down the road.

I'm glad you think so, I might even feel a little bit better about the situation after reading your post. I see it as a hit on depth and a hit on development of talent waiting in the wings. Is it me, or is the injury bug biting Duke Football early and hard this season so far? So far that's four and counting isn't it?

killerleft
07-20-2015, 12:52 PM

Can't say what Thad would or wouldn't have done in Boone's place, but Thad was as tough as any Duke player ever (in my humble opinion). With last year's offensive line, he might well have done what you say. I wonder if Thad would have become an NFL quarterback if he hadn't had the challenges he faced while at Duke?

duke blue brewcrew
07-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Can't say what Thad would or wouldn't have done in Boone's place, but Thad was as tough as any Duke player ever (in my humble opinion). With last year's offensive line, he might well have done what you say. I wonder if Thad would have become an NFL quarterback if he hadn't had the challenges he faced while at Duke?

Well, if opportunities are any indication of ability (and I feel like they are), then it's clear that to this point Thad is a better QB than Anthony. Thad has had more time to create some positive history for himself than has Anthony, but Thad has had some reasonable consistency with sticking on NFL rosters and/or finding opportunities to make an NFL roster than AB so far.

nyesq83
07-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Um, he did have a broken collarbone in the game against Memphis in 2013.

I believe he lost some of his accuracy after recovering from that injury.

Prior to the injury he had completed 75% of his passes in 6 quarters in early 2013.

lotusland
07-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted. I don't usually read the football threads . Is it a coincidence that the phrase in question appears below the Wake Forest section??

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/7/20/9006951/acc-football-media-guide-curse

OldPhiKap
07-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted. I don't usually read the football threads . Is it a coincidence that the phrase in question appears below the Wake Forest section??

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/7/20/9006951/acc-football-media-guide-curse

Proofread fail.

devildeac
07-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Proofread fail.

If only they had the DBR filters...

Bob Green
07-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Phil Steele bowl game predictions do not include Duke:

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JULY15/DBJuly20.html

I don't see it. Yes, there are some question marks the team must address but the overall talent level on the team is rising.

Chillduck
07-20-2015, 09:30 PM
I'm shocked that Carolina wasn't mentioned for one of the big bowls. Let the over ranking of UNC begin!

devildeac
07-20-2015, 09:37 PM

I don't see it. Yes, there are some question marks the team must address but the overall talent level on the team is rising.

I hope Cut and the staff have taped that to every player's locker this evening.

OldPhiKap
07-20-2015, 09:49 PM

Oddly, I don't find Phil Steele on my list of people to follow this year.

jimsumner
07-20-2015, 10:52 PM
Not only is Duke accustomed to being under-rated, I think they kind of like it. Chips on shoulders can be good.

Zach Morris? Yes, it sucks. He'll be rehabbing when he could have been getting practice reps. But the injuries to Brown, Schroeder and Mann ended their playing careers. This one just means he'll be a fifth-year senior in 2019.

And there's a finite amount of practice time to allocate amongst the young tackles. So, perhaps Ramsay, Cerenord, Ferguson and Bpyce get a few more reps, thus speeding up their development.

Yes, it can sound pretty Darwinian. But football players and football teams live by the credo "next man up."

johnb
07-21-2015, 02:16 AM
Jeremy Cash, FBI agent?

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article27977263.html

Indoor66
07-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Not only is Duke accustomed to being under-rated, I think they kind of like it. Chips on shoulders can be good.

Zach Morris? Yes, it sucks. He'll be rehabbing when he could have been getting practice reps. But the injuries to Brown, Schroeder and Mann ended their playing careers. This one just means he'll be a fifth-year senior in 2019.

And there's a finite amount of practice time to allocate amongst the young tackles. So, perhaps Ramsay, Cerenord, Ferguson and Bpyce get a few more reps, thus speeding up their development.

Yes, it can sound pretty Darwinian. But football players and football teams live by the credo "next man up."

So do some others. Semper Fi.

duke blue brewcrew
07-21-2015, 08:48 AM
http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Duke-Football-Post-Spring-Depth-Chart-Released-38293400

As expected, Gabe Bradner and Casey Blaser are slated as starters coming into the season to replace Cofield and Tomlinson. The battle at WR looks heated and interesting. Another position battle of note, Shaun Wilson is listed ahead of Jela Duncan on the depth chart. I did notice that some of the incoming Freshmen, such as Ben Humphreys, are not on this depth chart for some reason. I'm not sure what that's about...anyone with thoughts on that?

Bob Green
07-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Duke picked 4th in the Coastal:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/clemson-tabbed-preseason-acc-favorites-watson-poy/14785492/

1. GT
2. VT
3. Miami
4. Duke
5. UNC
6. Pitt
7. Virginia

duke blue brewcrew
07-21-2015, 10:16 AM
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Can-Duke-win-nine-games-again-this-year-38298522

Airowe breaks down the schedule from perceived toughest match-up to easiest. I said much earlier in this thread, I think 8 wins is the floor for Duke Football this year. Adam discusses where the 9th -12th wins might come from. IMO - If Duke can split the back to back match-ups between @VT on 10/24 before facing Miami at home on 10/31, they have a great chance to make the 9+ win mark. Go Duke!

SCMatt33
07-21-2015, 11:02 AM

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/clemson-tabbed-preseason-acc-favorites-watson-poy/14785492/

1. GT
2. VT
3. Miami
4. Duke
5. UNC
6. Pitt
7. Virginia

The interesting part is that everyone but UVA received at least one first place vote.

airowe
07-21-2015, 11:04 AM
http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Duke-Football-Post-Spring-Depth-Chart-Released-38293400

As expected, Gabe Bradner and Casey Blaser are slated as starters coming into the season to replace Cofield and Tomlinson. The battle at WR looks heated and interesting. Another position battle of note, Shaun Wilson is listed ahead of Jela Duncan on the depth chart. I did notice that some of the incoming Freshmen, such as Ben Humphreys, are not on this depth chart for some reason. I'm not sure what that's about...anyone with thoughts on that?

That's because this is the Post-Spring Depth Chart. Those players weren't on campus yet.

duke blue brewcrew
07-21-2015, 11:26 AM
That's because this is the Post-Spring Depth Chart. Those players weren't on campus yet.

That helps, thanks!

Dev11
07-21-2015, 11:28 AM

1. GT
2. VT
3. Miami
4. Duke
5. UNC
6. Pitt
7. Virginia

Refresh my memory, but this is the highest we've been picked in the division, right? The Coastal sounds like it will be like last year, with a lot of parity. Let's see if Cutcliffe can find more of that fourth quarter elixir he was using so effectively two years ago.

Duvall
07-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Refresh my memory, but this is the highest we've been picked in the division, right? The Coastal sounds like it will be like last year, with a lot of parity. Let's see if Cutcliffe can find more of that fourth quarter elixir he was using so effectively two years ago.

Duke was picked to finish second (http://www.theacc.com/news/2014-Preseason-Poll-and-POY_07-21-14_w0v3da) (and did finish second) last year.

Dev11
07-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Duke was picked to finish second (http://www.theacc.com/news/2014-Preseason-Poll-and-POY_07-21-14_w0v3da) (and did finish second) last year.

Can't give you the pitchfork, but thanks for that.

richmclean
07-21-2015, 01:03 PM

And GT was picked to finish 5th last year and finished in first. Overall good news for the Devils :)

sagegrouse
07-21-2015, 02:25 PM
It's an advantage for the Blue Devils, according to the ESPN report (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13295272/david-cutcliffe-says-peyton-manning-eli-manning-visits-duke-help-benefit-blue-devils-players) from ACC media day.

Money quotes:

"What's great is for our players, they see this work ethic, see not only Peyton and Eli, but the receivers and how they're running routes, and they just soak it all up," Cutcliffe said. "It's fun for me, but it's meaningful for our team."

The close ties between Cutcliffe and the Mannings is a key entry on the Duke coach's résumé, and the ongoing relationship has helped make Duke a more attractive destination for young quarterbacks.

jimsumner
07-21-2015, 03:12 PM
The depth chart right now is pretty meaningless. With the exception of some injuries, it does not take into account anything that's happened since the end of spring/winter practice and it only includes the freshmen who enrolled early.

The distinction between second-team and third-team running back is especially meaningless, given that Cut has proven he can and will use up to four running backs in the rotation. Last year, Shaq Powell had 152 touches (rushes and receptions), Josh Snead 93 and Shaun Wilson 96. Joe Ajeigbe had 43.

Guys you may not have heard of who got lots of positive mentions at Pinehurst this week include WR Chris Taylor, OT Gabe Brandner, DT Mike Ramsay and LB Zavier Carmichael.

jimsumner
07-21-2015, 03:43 PM
The depth chart right now is pretty meaningless. With the exception of some injuries, it does not take into account anything that's happened since the end of spring/winter practice and it only includes the freshmen who enrolled early.

The distinction between second-team and third-team running back is especially meaningless, given that Cut has proven he can and will use up to four running backs in the rotation. Last year, Shaq Powell had 152 touches (rushes and receptions), Josh Snead 93 and Shaun Wilson 96. Joe Ajeigbe had 43.

Guys you may not have heard of who got lots of positive mentions at Pinehurst this week include WR Chris Taylor, OT Gabe Brandner, DT Mike Ramsay and LB Zavier Carmichael.

My computer decided it was going to shutdown--pretty much because it can-before I had finished.

So, here's the rest of my post.

Roster updates.

Cody Robinson and Tanner Stone are basically even at RG.

Sterling Korona is Brandner's back-up at LT.

Deaver looks good. He's at about 90 percent.

Parker Boeheme projects to be the QB in the Connette Package.

Redshirt freshmen Trip McNeill (OL) and Tariq Shabazz (DE) are healthy for the first time in their college careers.

Deion Williams will stay at DE. He moved from LB.

Duke is going to give real consideration to playing a true freshman or two at DE. Marquies Price enrolled early and thus has a head start.

Dwayne Norman has adjusted nicely to his move from safety to LB.

Matt Skura is the OL Alpha Dog. In a good way. He talks, they listen.

Max McCaffrey is the default punt returner. But Cut is going to open up competition for that role. Look for true freshman T.J. Rahming to get a good look. Cut suggested that DeVon Edwards might return kicks and punts.

duke blue brewcrew
07-21-2015, 03:57 PM
My computer decided it was going to shutdown--pretty much because it can-before I had finished.

So, here's the rest of my post.

Roster updates.

Cody Robinson and Tanner Stone are basically even at RG.

Sterling Korona is Brandner's back-up at LT.

Deaver looks good. He's at about 90 percent.

Parker Boeheme projects to be the QB in the Connette Package.

Redshirt freshmen Trip McNeill (OL) and Tariq Shabazz (DE) are healthy for the first time in their college careers.

Deion Williams will stay at DE. He moved from LB.

Duke is going to give real consideration to playing a true freshman or two at DE. Marquies Price enrolled early and thus has a head start.

Dwayne Norman has adjusted nicely to his move from safety to LB.

Matt Skura is the OL Alpha Dog. In a good way. He talks, they listen.

Max McCaffrey is the default punt returner. But Cut is going to open up competition for that role. Look for true freshman T.J. Rahming to get a good look. Cut suggested that DeVon Edwards might return kicks and punts.

Awesome update Jim as always, thanks for sharing!

jimsumner
07-21-2015, 06:48 PM
A few other things I should have mentioned.

Add TE Erich Schneider to the unsolicited-praise-list.

TE Daniel Helm was described as the best tight end in the program "by far." He has to sit out this season as a transfer.

RB Jela Duncan had surgery on both shoulders. Healthy now and very hungry.

WR Terrance Alls and DB T.J. Douglas are still on the suspended-from-competition list. They can practice but not play. Cut will decide when that changes.

Bob Green
07-21-2015, 07:34 PM
RB Jela Duncan had surgery on both shoulders. Healthy now and very hungry.

Music to my ears! Our running game has been very strong the past two years, it has the potential to be MUCH better this year:

Powell and Duncan have the power
Wilson has the speed
Sounds like Thunder and Lightning to me.

devildeac
07-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Music to my ears! Our running game has been very strong the past two years, it has the potential to be MUCH better this year:

Powell and Duncan have the power
Wilson has the speed
Sounds like Thunder and Lightning to me.

I like that name, Bob. Call it and haul it!

(I believe Josh Snead gets credit for that Cut quote, IIRC.)