PDA

View Full Version : Can Anthony Boone make the Lions Roster?

BD80
05-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Anthony was signed as an undrafted free-agent by the Detroit Lions. This is more than a training camp invite, but he is still #4 on the depth chart. He won't displace Matt Stafford unless multiple limbs on Stafford are displaced. Dan Orlovsky is a career back-up who is big with a strong arm and experience in the system; not the future but reliable. Kellen Moore is a small, system quarterback with a weak arm, but has managed to stick on the roster for several years.

Does Boone have the bona fides to make the roster as the #3?

mattman91
05-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Anthony Roone... name does not strike a bell. Whoever he is, I wish him well. :p:cool:

jimsumner
05-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Boone has a lot of positives. A lot.

But he has one itsy-bitsy, teensy-weenie little problem. Sometimes he has an inordinate amount of difficulty throwing a football where he wants it to go.

If he solves that problem, he could stick. Maybe should stick. But it's a fairly substantial problem and it's not like the Duke coaching staff didn't devote some resources to the problem.

So we shall see.

dukelifer
05-03-2015, 08:39 PM

But he has one itsy-bitsy, teensy-weenie little problem. Sometimes he has an inordinate amount of difficulty throwing a football where he wants it to go.

If he solves that problem, he could stick. Maybe should stick. But it's a fairly substantial problem and it's not like the Duke coaching staff didn't devote some resources to the problem.

So we shall see.

I agree. You have to be accurate in the NFL and Anthony struggles to make throws in small windows. Not sure he will make it but he is a tough kid who has been well coached. You never know.

throatybeard
05-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Anthony Roone... name does not strike a bell. Whoever he is, I wish him well. :p:cool:

I think Boone Arledge was instrumental in getting him on TV.

hudlow
05-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Roone can scramble with the best of them.

BD80
05-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Man ...

I said please.

It is amazing how quickly the mods can lower the boom, but ask for a tiny favor like: "please change the thread title" and nothing.

Sigh.

Dev11
05-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Man ...

I said please.

It is amazing how quickly the mods can lower the boom, but ask for a tiny favor like: "please change the thread title" and nothing.

Sigh.

Is something wrong? The thread title appears to have been properly adjusted.

TKG
05-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Not as a QB.

CDu
05-04-2015, 12:41 PM

So we shall see.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with all of this. Playing QB in the NFL requires just a whole different level of accuracy... one that Boone hasn't shown to this point in his career. Maybe Boone gets his mechanics straightened out in the NFL. But if a QB guru like Cutcliffe couldn't do it, I have trouble seeing it happening for Boone. Hopefully he does figure it out though.

FerryFor50
05-04-2015, 12:41 PM
I agree. You have to be accurate in the NFL and Anthony struggles to make throws in small windows. Not sure he will make it but he is a tough kid who has been well coached. You never know.

Uh, didn't he say the Lions have Dan Orlovsky as a backup?

You don't have to be THAT accurate. ;)

I like Boone's chances to stick, but we'll see. Might just end up on the practice squad like Renfree.

devildeac
05-04-2015, 12:51 PM

So we shall see.

So it wasn't just my aging eyes from the end zone at WW or on the TV in our sunroom/media room:o. He really did have trouble putting the ball on target sometimes:(.

I'll remember his fine career though summarized by Jim's first paragraph and not the second. I'm a huge AB fan.

rsvman
05-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Sadly, I don't think so.

As others have mentioned, his accuracy is just not good enough.

53n206
05-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Perhaps as a D-back.

MCFinARL
05-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Does he have the skill set to switch to another position in the NFL, as some college QBs do?

CDu
05-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Does he have the skill set to switch to another position in the NFL, as some college QBs do?

Yeah, he doesn't have the speed or agility to play WR, RB, or DB. Seems like he's either a QB or nothing. And given that he struggles with accuracy and doesn't have a very strong arm, it's hard to see him making it as a QB.

weezie
05-04-2015, 03:01 PM
I would be delighted to have two "Honolulu Blue"Devils in Detroit!

Keeps the fan-wear drawer more organized.

Bob Green
05-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Highly doubtful due to the reasons already outlined in the thread. He has a major issue with accuracy. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Acymetric
05-04-2015, 08:40 PM
It is a moot point this year anyway, much more likely that he winds up on the practice squad there or elsewhere.

I think he would be an ideal guy to have in the wings behind Cam. Could run a similar system should Cam be out for a couple games.

duke blue brewcrew
05-04-2015, 10:25 PM
It is a moot point this year anyway, much more likely that he winds up on the practice squad there or elsewhere.

I think he would be an ideal guy to have in the wings behind Cam. Could run a similar system should Cam be out for a couple games.

That's an interesting point that I hadn't considered, and even more so when you factor in the fact that he has some hometown appeal being from the Charlotte area.

Acymetric
05-04-2015, 10:31 PM
That's an interesting point that I hadn't considered, and even more so when you factor in the fact that he has some hometown appeal being from the Charlotte area.

I was really hoping they would take a flyer on him in the 7th before they traded the pick away. Guy you can hang on to for cheap that doesn't completely change the system you run if (when) the starter goes out. Might not be ready to play that role this year but could foreseeable a year or two down the road...and they're clearly committed to Cam so might as well find a suitable backup.

Dukehky
05-04-2015, 11:26 PM

No, thanks.

CameronBornAndBred
06-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Sad to say, the answer is no. Anthony was released yesterday.

BD80
06-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Sad to say, the answer is no. Anthony was released yesterday.

It is Tom Brady's fault.

Because of the suspension, the Pats signed Matt Flynn, and thus waived Garrett Gilbert.

The Lions signed Gilbert, and thus waived Boone.

F. Tom Brady

Bob Green
06-13-2015, 09:38 AM
It is Tom Brady's fault.

Failure to achieve World peace is Tom Brady's fault!

uh_no
06-13-2015, 11:13 AM
It is Tom Brady's fault.

Because of the suspension, the Pats signed Matt Flynn, and thus waived Garrett Gilbert.

The Lions signed Gilbert, and thus waived Boone.

F. Tom Brady

well that's some deflating news...

weezie
06-13-2015, 12:43 PM
I long ago gave up trying to understand much of what the Lions think they are doing. So did they, apparently.