PDA

View Full Version : iZombie - TV Series - Not the Apple Cult

camion
05-02-2015, 10:06 AM
From the sublime (Ex Machina) to the ridiculous, at least in my opinion.

For lack of anything better to do I watched the first episode of iZombie on the CW. I thought it was ridiculous. It's basically a detective show dressed up for Halloween.

The premise is unbelievable, even for a zombie show.
Liv's zombieness is about as subtle as Clark Kent's glasses.
The crime solving is pretty standard. I can't decide if the brain-eating part is clever or silly.
The relationship and (who's a zombie) plot twists are contrived.

I have now watched several episodes since for some reason the show is automatically recorded on my DVR. Why do I keep doing that? After wracking my brain for a clue this is what I came up with.
I like Rose McIver and the other two main actors, Rahul Kohli and Malcolm Goodwin. They, the characters, are actually people you wouldn't mind hanging out with. (I was surprised when I saw an appearance of McIver on Conan and she had a strong Kiwi accent; on the show she is American.)

I was also shocked when I checked the shows ratings on IMDB (8.0) and Rotten Tomatoes (91% critics, 81% viewers). OMG, my taste is beginning to match that of middle America, the apocalypse I most feared.

Highlander
05-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Only watched one episode so far. Seemed to be like "Tru Calling" to me, only with a Zombie lead. Haven't figured out how the "zombies" look and act like everyone else.

There wasn't any real horror or gore, two components of most Zombie related shows, so it felt campy. I may give it a try for a few more weeks tho.

camion
05-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Only watched one episode so far. Seemed to be like "Tru Calling" to me, only with a Zombie lead. Haven't figured out how the "zombies" look and act like everyone else.

There wasn't any real horror or gore, two components of most Zombie related shows, so it felt campy. I may give it a try for a few more weeks tho.

Okay, I can answer that one. In the tv show once you turn zombie you must have a regular supply of brains to eat to maintain human-level brain function. If you don't get your regular brain fix you regress into a classic shuffling vacant zombie.