PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Unc - favorite players and plays (twisted)

Skitzle
05-02-2015, 03:36 AM
So Jaylen Brown commits to California and out of the thread comes this nugget.

There's a special place in my heart for recruits who snub Kentucky and UNC... best of luck to you at Cal Jaylen! I'll be rooting for you!

Got me thinking are there any players who were so bad and so detrimental to Unc that we are actually happy they went there?

Larry Drew?
Tj Hairston (sic)
Justin Watts

Who are your UNC backwards all-stars. The best Unc players on Duke's team.

Additionally what were the most boneheaded plays that effectively changed the game that you can remember in a Duke/Unc game. Zellers tip in is one example but he killed us enough that I can't put him on the backwards All-star list.

Anyway this is my suggestion for an off-season topic. Hope you enjoy it :)

MarkD83
05-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Kris Lang or anyone else from the 2001-02 8-20 team.

arnie
05-02-2015, 07:54 AM

Got me thinking are there any players who were so bad and so detrimental to Unc that we are actually happy they went there?

Larry Drew?
Tj Hairston (sic)
Justin Watts

Additionally what were the most boneheaded plays that effectively changed the game that you can remember in a Duke/Unc game. Zellers tip in is one example but he killed us enough that I can't put him on the backwards All-star list.

Curtis Hunter

throatybeard
05-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Well, this question comes loaded with confirmation bias; the second a guy picks Carolina, we state that don't like him, even up to and including blood family of our figurative family (Jason Capel). They don't even have to be "bad and detrimental."

I don't know about "bad and detrimental," but I never rued Harrison Barnes' decision for a moment. He struck me as a douchecanoe from the get-go. Lord knows why even, but I watched that press conference.

I think the work of Jessica Gaspar and later Ivory Latta is outstanding and should be mentioned here. Now, these were good players, but I always loved the fact that UNC fans had to live with them on their conscience. Or wait, was Gaspar even good? I can't remember.

If we're talking about making a mess between the lines with the basketball, Larry Drew II bubbles to the top.

Ah, Carolina basketball. So many human beings you don't even want to thing about.

wilson
05-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Not a player, but we can easily name Matt Doherty coach of this team, right?

bob blue devil
05-02-2015, 08:05 AM
I know this is recency bias and he did bring a lot of positives, but I was always a fan of tokoto's inability to shoot. It just killed Carolina's offense as defenses didn't have to respect him. And, of course his parting shots were not helpful for their program.

OldPhiKap
05-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Roy's refusal to use time outs to stem our runs,candy odd substitution patterns that pull his hot-shooting player off the floor. Think what a real coach would do with that talent.

devildeac
05-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Kris Lang or anyone else from the 2001-02 8-20 team.

Not a player, but we can easily name Matt Doherty coach of this team, right?

He already was;) .

dukelifer
05-02-2015, 08:30 AM

Larry Drew?
Tj Hairston (sic)
Justin Watts

Joe Forte- his collapse at the end of the 2001 season likely due to issues with Matt Doherty and his own immaturity - derailed an excellent UNC team- and helped to build the momentum for Duke to win their 3rd National Championship.

OldPhiKap
05-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Rashad McCants is a gift that keeps on giving.

devildeac
05-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Eventually, I think these two might appear on this list somewhere:

Deborah Crowder

Julius Nyang’oro

mattman91
05-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Quentin Thomas

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-02-2015, 08:39 AM
I know this is recency bias and he did bring a lot of positives, but I was always a fan of tokoto's inability to shoot. It just killed Carolina's offense as defenses didn't have to respect him. And, of course his parting shots were not helpful for their program.

I also enjoyed his tendency to toss the ball to Casper the Friendly Ghost several times a game.

Henderson
05-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Eventually, I think these two might appear on this list somewhere:

Deborah Crowder

Julius Nyang’oro

You just made Jan Boxill sad.

And I nominate Rich "Chick" Yonaker. His two airballs in the first half of the 47-40 game made him a hall-of-famer for this thread IMO.

ChrisP
05-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet. I guess, technically speaking, he was a good (i.e. somewhat skilled) player for the Heels, but man...what a world-class a-hole! I just love that such a world-class jerk is a associated with the UNC.

Thurber Whyte
05-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Makhtar N'Diaye

An undistinguished player who had a horrible attitude and was a poor sportsman. He was an increasing source of embarrassment and negative attention during his career at UNC. That career coincided with Dean Smith's last season and Bill Guthridge's first, a time when UNC wanted to celebrate Smith's otherwise positive legacy and emphasize its continuity under Guthridge.

Edit: Beaten like a rented mule.

OldPhiKap
05-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Makhtar N'Diaye

An undistinguished player who had a horrible attitude and was a poor sportsman. He was an increasing source of embarrassment and negative attention during his career at UNC. That career coincided with Dean Smith's last season and Bill Guthridge's first, a time when UNC wanted to celebrate Smith's otherwise positive legacy and emphasize its continuity under Guthridge.

Edit: Beaten like a rented mule.

Makhtar also beat rented mules, you know.

Damn mule-beater.

devildeac
05-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Makhtar also beat rented mules, you know.

Damn mule-beater.

At least he didn't beat rented players.

Bada-bing!

dbcooper
05-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Calling Will Graves.....the Real Puff Daddy!!

Yall know him, Yall Love him. The Guy that kicked off the team for Pot, then recently was reported for suspicious behavior in Roy's house, he told the cops the Cops the couldn't come in. Puff Daddy WAITS for the cops to come back with a warrant just to find out he's living in Roy's house(legally???) with "Blunts" and drug paraphernalia. I guess Roy didn't teach Puff Daddy how to flush the toilet after he potty trained him???

http://abc11.com/archive/9359530/

LMFAO

DB ---E

subzero02
05-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Adam Boone... I've never seen a divion I starting point guard struggle so much bringing the ball up court. He seemed like a good guy, I saw him with Jared Jeffries when they were visiting Duke. I wish we had gotten Jeffries( we might have won back to back titles if we had) I am glad Boone wound up at unc. There were a lot of reasons unc went 8-20 in 2002, Adam's point guard play should be at the top of the list. Adam eventually transferred to Minnesota where things were slightly better for him.

1999ballboy
05-03-2015, 02:18 AM
He was actually a good player, but let's not forget that Tyler Zeller is Duke's leading scorer on the UNC basketball team. And the only UNC player to ever be sincerely applauded during intros at Cameron.

Zebraman32
05-03-2015, 08:53 AM
He was actually a good player, but let's not forget that Tyler Zeller is Duke's leading scorer on the UNC basketball team. And the only UNC player to ever be sincerely applauded during intros at Cameron.

Hey, 1999, I'm sure that based on your handle you weren't really focusing on more than your own time in Cameron, but as an historical matter, both David Thompson and Bryant Stith received "sincere" standing ovations when introduced prior to their final games in Cameron.

I showed up in 1973. So my knowledge is thus limited.

Can anyone out there edit the list further?

OldPhiKap
05-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Hey, 1999, I'm sure that based on your handle you weren't really focusing on more than your own time in Cameron, but as an historical matter, both David Thompson and Bryant Stith received "sincere" standing ovations when introduced prior to their final games in Cameron.

I showed up in 1973. So my knowledge is thus limited.

Can anyone out there edit the list further?

Len Bias got a standing O when Lefty pulled him at the end of his last game. After dropping something like 40 on us (at least it seems like that).

rocketeli
05-03-2015, 10:21 AM
A roster
Head Coach Matt Doherty
Asst Coach Phil Ford (an all time great player but an embarrassment in his make-work coaching job)

players (selected for attitude, choking potential,off-court antics on court liability --or for LDII all of these)
PG Larry Drew II
Wing/off guard/SG R. McCants H. Barnes
C Makhtar Ndaiaye
Interior players Will Graves Joe Forte

Academic Advisor D. Crowder

Faculty reps: J. Boxhill J Nyang'oro

Bench Kris Lang, Justin Watts Adam Boone JP Tokoto Jason Capel (sorry Coach C)

honesty compels me to admit I could come up with a similar but smaller list for Duke...but I won't go any further with that because if I did the board censors heads would probably do that scanner thing...

El_Diablo
05-03-2015, 10:53 AM

Larry Drew?
Tj Hairston (sic)
Justin Watts

Did you mean to quote this post instead? It seems more relevant to the "being happy someone sucky went to UNC" theme than the post that simply pointed out that Jaylen Brown had spurned UNC to commit to California.

At this rate, I should give Roy a call. I still have eligibilty left.

Think they need a 37 year old, 5'8" point guard that would likely throw every game for them?

1999ballboy
05-03-2015, 12:02 PM
the only UNC player to ever be sincerely applauded during intros at Cameron.

I should have clarified "applauded for helping us out, but I did specify the bolded part above.

Edouble
05-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Adam Boone... I've never seen a divion I starting point guard struggle so much bringing the ball up court. He seemed like a good guy, I saw him with Jared Jeffries when they were visiting Duke. I wish we had gotten Jeffries( we might have won back to back titles if we had) I am glad Boone wound up at unc. There were a lot of reasons unc went 8-20 in 2002, Adam's point guard play should be at the top of the list. Adam eventually transferred to Minnesota where things were slightly better for him.

Travis Spivey of Georgia Tech was the worst I've seen. To add insult to injury he was also featured getting dunked on by Vince Carter on a cover shot of Sports Illustrated.

rsvman
05-03-2015, 04:21 PM
Drew II is on the top of the list for me. I think he passed the ball to the old lady knitting on the second row at the Dean Dome more than he passed it to his own players.

To this day, when we see somebody throw a terrible pass to nobody, my son and I called it a "Drew II." Or we say, "He Drew II'd." It's a little cumbersome, but it works.:cool:

Patty O
05-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Gotta go with Ronald Curry. So hyped coming out of HS yet so incredibly average (QB too) when the ball was tipped. J-Will absolutely destroyed him every time out.

Tom B.
05-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Not really a boneheaded play, but one that sure stands out in my memory. It happened at the end of the UNC-Duke game in Cameron in 2005. Duke led by one, but Carolina had the last possession. Carolina ran a play that they'd run earlier in the year in a similar situation against UConn. Duke had reviewed the play in its scouting and game prep, so when Raymond Felton tried to hit Rashad McCants with a pass on the left wing, J.J. Redick read the play and jumped into the passing lane. Felton couldn't make the pass, but had already picked up his dribble, so he was stuck. The best he could do was get the ball to David Noel on the right wing, who clumsily dribbled the ball out of bounds as time expired.

The play. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcN4zIDbM5E)

And how about Ed Cota and Brendan Haywood missing four free throws down the stretch in Cameron in 1998, after Duke had come back from 17 down to take the lead?

Link. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8SqGD4R-22k#t=5790)