PDA

View Full Version : Avengers: Age of Ultron (Spoilers!)

Oriole Way
05-01-2015, 01:15 AM
Just got back from seeing it. I've gotta say, I was floored by how awesome it was. Best super hero movie ever made, in my opinion.

neemizzle
05-01-2015, 05:03 AM
It may be great, but man if Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't flat out fantastic. I still think Marvel's best is yet to come. I'm excited for AntMan this year also.

Was there really no end credits scene at the end? I'm hearing that there isn't one this time.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
05-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Not spoilers but plot points are mentioned below to include character traits and what I think will happen in Avengers 3. So Minor Spoiler Alert

Yes there is an end credits scene, Marvel just made it earlier in the credits than usual. Its right after tall the stars names are shown one by one so you don't have to wait for all the credits to roll to see it.

It was pretty awesome, and with the news of Sony making a deal to basically rent out Spidey to Disney, Avengers 3 will undoubtedly be amazing. I'm sure we will get a Spider Man reboot before he is added to the Avengers but its not really the same without him in my opinion.

I enjoyed all the new characters except Ultron wasn't really the best bad guy. Sure he was scary and all powerful as he should be, but when it came down to it he had too much comical relief. If youre going to have a bad guy make him bad and scary not bad and funny. I expect Avengers 3 will feature a battle against Thanos for all the marbles, so that should be taken care of as I can't see him having any kind of comical lines.

I thought maybe we would get a surprise visit from the Guardians in this one but it didn't happen, I imagine we will see them in Avengers 3 in the battle vs Thanos in some sort of tie in.

Udaman
05-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Mods - can we add to the title that this is a spoilers thread?

Just saw it. My take (with no spoilers at first)

1) Is it better than the first one? No. But I thought it was really, really good.

2) Does it rank in the category of "Best Super Hero movies" and "Best Marvel movies?" Yes. I would definitely put it in the top tier. Maybe not Top 5 (that's Avengers, Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spiderman 2)...though maybe. I found it to be just a little bit better than Guardians, which was really good.

3) What are the best parts? OK....spoilers now....

Loved Iron Man fighting The Hulk. That scene was just awesome.

Loved the Opening Sequence.

Enjoyed just about all of the Fighting Scenes. Truly.

Loved the running gag about Thor's hammer.

Loved the humor throughout.

4) What were the worst parts?

Story wasn't exactly easy to follow. Had no idea what the "Thor in the pool of water" was all about. Don't get what Ultron the human type was (Vision?). How he came to be, and what the whole fight over him was, and how Thor brought him to life....just didn't really make sense to me.

Didn't really like that the twins switched over. They've spent their entire lives hating Stark (to the point that it drove them mad) and then they just flip because the bad guy is going to kill everyone? Didn't make sense. Also, weren't they just little kids at the end of Winter Soldier? How did they grow up so fast?

Thought that Quicksilver was too much like the fast kid in X-Men Days of Future Past. Honestly, I kept hoping they would bring in that guy to stop the other guy. That would have been funny.

5) What was the worst part?

That it never really tried to address why the Avengers didn't show up to help each other out in the other Marvel movies. Where was everyone in Iron Man 3? Where was everyone in Winter Soldier (except for Natashia)? It also didn't really tie in to the other movies. At the end of Iron Man 3 we see Tony giving up his metal ring. What happened to that? Where was Potter? What was up with Thor or Loki? I know you can't bring too much into a movie, but this just ignored a lot of things.

6) End Credits?

Yes - but they teased you. They showed Thanos, who will clearly be who The Avengers fight in the 3rd movie. And at the very, very end....there was nothing. That was a mistake if you ask me, and the viewers who stayed to the end seemed pretty miffed that there was nothing to see. Could have easily tied in Guardians, or Ant-Man, or something. Nope.

Again, overall I really enjoyed this movie. Will definitely see it again. Oh, and one more thing

7) Will it make our Top 5? Uhhhh....yeah.

Duvall
05-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Movie was pretty good. Spader was great. Could have been really good if it had been more of a discrete story and less of an installment in a shared universe. The franchisiness was distracting in little ways, like Thor taking off in the middle of the movie to set up a completely different movie.

(That said, having Thor, Iron Man and Hulk leave the team at the end to leave Captain America with a kooky sextet was faithful to the comics, if nothing else.

Duvall
05-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Thought that Quicksilver was too much like the fast kid in X-Men Days of Future Past.

Well...

Oriole Way
05-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Movie was pretty good. Spader was great. Could have been really good if it had been more of a discrete story and less of an installment in a shared universe. The franchisiness was distracting in little ways, like Thor taking off in the middle of the movie to set up a completely different movie.

(That said, having Thor, Iron Man and Hulk leave the team at the end to leave Captain America with a kooky sextet was faithful to the comics, if nothing else.

The installments will work because they are building up to one of the best storylines in comic book history: the Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity Wars.

I thought Age of Ultron was a clear step up from the first movie. Better effects, better action, funnier, and they did a great job of developing a whopping 10+ distinct main characters, including the introduction of 4 new ones. That's impressive.

Obviously, this is no Shawshank Redemption or Casablanca. But as far as comic book movies, it was the best I've ever seen. Others in the discussion include the first Avengers, The Dark Knight (probably my #1 before seeing Age of Ultron), Guardians of the Galaxy , Iron Man, and X-Men: First Class.

The characters are effectively faithful to the comics, and the writing is concise and funny. Joss Whedon has done an incredible job directing these first two Avengers movies.

cf-62
05-04-2015, 09:28 AM
6) End Credits?

And at the very, very end....there was nothing. That was a mistake if you ask me, and the viewers who stayed to the end seemed pretty miffed that there was nothing to see. Could have easily tied in Guardians, or Ant-Man, or something. Nope.

Whedon went on the record weeks ago (mid-March?) saying the traditional "preview" scene would be in the credits, but that the end-of-credits second scene would not be there because nobody could come up with something they thought was better than the shawarma scene. He explicitly went public so THAT people wouldn't stay until the end of the credits waiting for the scene. I would say less than half our screening looked like they were staying.

SPOILER BELOW

Agree with most of what everyone's saying, but to me the coolest part of the whole movie was the scene when all the Avengers were dealing with the onslaught of BOTs to defend the "core."

This was the first time I've ever seen ANY of these movies look like an actual comic book panel come to life -- specifically the classic team fight where the view was from some panoramic angle.

It gave me a fond nostalgia for my old Avengers comics.

luburch
05-04-2015, 11:02 AM
I actually got sick to my stomach during the middle of the movie (flu, food poisoning, or something of that nature) so it's possible my opinion could have been soured by that experience, but I was a little disappointed with the film overall. I didn't care too much for Ultron as a the lead villain. Almost felt like they tried too hard to make him less-serious. Maybe I'll change my mind once I watch it again and can give it my complete focus, but I don't want to shell out another $10 to do so in theaters.

ncexnyc
05-04-2015, 11:23 AM
I actually got sick to my stomach during the middle of the movie (flu, food poisoning, or something of that nature) so it's possible my opinion could have been soured by that experience, but I was a little disappointed with the film overall. I didn't care too much for Ultron as a the lead villain. Almost felt like they tried too hard to make him less-serious. Maybe I'll change my mind once I watch it again and can give it my complete focus, but I don't want to shell out another $10 to do so in theaters.
Just remember, Ultron is a reflection of Stark, which is why you got all those one liners from him.

JasonEvans
05-04-2015, 12:02 PM
A few questions that were somewhat unclear to me--

1) Was Scarlet Witch giving folks nightmares or just showing your deepest, darkest fear, or was it something else. It seemed she was able to see the visions she gave to people because what she saw for Tony scared her.

2) Speaking of that -- can anyone easily explain what was happening with the two sides (Tony and Bruce versus Cap and Scarlet Witch) when Tony is building The Vision? Cap and Witch seem to think it will be something evil, but Tony believes otherwise. After his monumental failure with Ultron, you would think Tony would be more hesitant, but confidence is his big thing (even when he is wrong). Also, is Thor trying to stop or trying to jumpstart Vision when he hits it with lightning?

3) Ummm, what was Thor doing when he went away for a bit? Is this going to be covered in Thor Ragnarok? It had something to do with his visions.

4) The end credit scene, which is fun as a teaser to set up EVERYONE coming together to battle Thanos in Infinity War, is a little silly. Thanos is frustrated that his efforts to get the Infinity Stones has resulted in nada thus far. By implication, Ultron was part of this effort... but there is no connection between Ultron and Thanos at all. What's more, if one of the stones had been in Loki's scepter the whole time and Thanos wanted it, why didn't he just grab it when Loki was with the Chitari in the first Avengers movie?

As a side note, I can't believe they wasted Idris Elba's time on 1 minor scene in which we barely see him and which would seem to have only limited impact on the overall plot. Really?!?! you bring in an Oscar nominee just to have him appear in a dream for a couple seconds?!?! If they were going to do that, they should have brought in Tom Hiddleston, who everyone adores, to give Loki a dream cameo.

Another side note-- So, a pair of artificial wings suddenly makes you good enough to be in the Avengers?!?!? Really? Seems to me that Sam Wilson is a bit out of his league alongside Iron Patriot, Scarlet Witch, and Vision. But, some might have said the same thing about the non-super powered Hawkeye and Black Widow yet they proved to be super valuable. How daring and unexpected was it for Whedon to have made Hawkeye (and, to a lesser extent, BWidow) the emotional core of the movie?!?! Whew, did not see that one coming!

-Jason "I'm really looking forward to Cap vs Iron Man in Civil War -- that should be fun" Evans

FerryFor50
05-04-2015, 01:01 PM
A few questions that were somewhat unclear to me--

1) Was Scarlet Witch giving folks nightmares or just showing your deepest, darkest fear, or was it something else. It seemed she was able to see the visions she gave to people because what she saw for Tony scared her.

2) Speaking of that -- can anyone easily explain what was happening with the two sides (Tony and Bruce versus Cap and Scarlet Witch) when Tony is building The Vision? Cap and Witch seem to think it will be something evil, but Tony believes otherwise. After his monumental failure with Ultron, you would think Tony would be more hesitant, but confidence is his big thing (even when he is wrong). Also, is Thor trying to stop or trying to jumpstart Vision when he hits it with lightning?

3) Ummm, what was Thor doing when he went away for a bit? Is this going to be covered in Thor Ragnarok? It had something to do with his visions.

4) The end credit scene, which is fun as a teaser to set up EVERYONE coming together to battle Thanos in Infinity War, is a little silly. Thanos is frustrated that his efforts to get the Infinity Stones has resulted in nada thus far. By implication, Ultron was part of this effort... but there is no connection between Ultron and Thanos at all. What's more, if one of the stones had been in Loki's scepter the whole time and Thanos wanted it, why didn't he just grab it when Loki was with the Chitari in the first Avengers movie?

As a side note, I can't believe they wasted Idris Elba's time on 1 minor scene in which we barely see him and which would seem to have only limited impact on the overall plot. Really?!?! you bring in an Oscar nominee just to have him appear in a dream for a couple seconds?!?! If they were going to do that, they should have brought in Tom Hiddleston, who everyone adores, to give Loki a dream cameo.

Another side note-- So, a pair of artificial wings suddenly makes you good enough to be in the Avengers?!?!? Really? Seems to me that Sam Wilson is a bit out of his league alongside Iron Patriot, Scarlet Witch, and Vision. But, some might have said the same thing about the non-super powered Hawkeye and Black Widow yet they proved to be super valuable. How daring and unexpected was it for Whedon to have made Hawkeye (and, to a lesser extent, BWidow) the emotional core of the movie?!?! Whew, did not see that one coming!

-Jason "I'm really looking forward to Cap vs Iron Man in Civil War -- that should be fun" Evans

LOTS OF SPOILERS TO COME

1) I think she was just revealing their deepest fears. I think she even said as much in the movie at one point.

2) Tony isn't building Vision. Vision was already built by Ultron with Dr Cho. They bonded vibranium to human cells to create him. Ultron was trying to upload himself but kept getting interrupted. When Tony gets Vision, I believe part of Ultron was actually in Vision. Tony then tries to upload Jarvis, who they found in hiding. I think the end result was a combination of Ultron and Jarvis.

As for what is going on... Tony is trying to undo his screw up with Ultron. Thor comes in and brings Vision to life, Frankenstein-style, on purpose. This was due to his visions seen via Scarlet Witch and the poorly explained pool.

3) Thor was trying to make sense of the Scarlet Witch visions via the "waters of sight. (http://comicbook.com/2015/05/03/avengers-age-of-ultron-what-are-the-waters-of-sight-/)" I believe the visions Thor was having are indeed things we'll see in Ragnarok, which is the Norse version of end times. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar%C3%B6k

4) As for the Elba stuff, pretty sure he was miffed about it, too: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/11195704/Idris-Elba-interview-Marvel-movies-are-torture.html

As for your "artificial wings" issue... it's as good as being really good with a bow and arrow. ;)

As for my opinion on the movie, I liked it, but I felt like it was trying to do wayyyyy too much. Might have been better served as a 2 part-er, like other movies have done.

- Way too many characters. While the core of the team was the focus, and the cameos were cool, I felt like they added too many new elements, even in passing dialogue.
- Way too many storylines. They set up Wakanda/Black Panther, Klaw, etc. They planted the seeds for Civil War *and* Ragnorak, as well as Infinity War. They created the New Avengers. They sent Hulk into space, possibly setting up World War Hulk at some point, unless they bring him back for Infinity War. They killed Quicksilver just as fast as they introduced him (so he can run faster than bullets, but can't seem to dodge them? plus, guess that fixes one continuity issue between Fox and Marvel). Plus a romance between Black Widow and Banner? And on and on... too much happening. Too distracting.
- Ultron. While I understand he's based on Tony Stark, the one liners didn't always work for me. The one scene that DID work for me was his interaction with Ulysses Klaue (Klaw). That was great - showed his true nature and relative naivete as a relatively young artificial being.
- Baron von Strucker. Major villain killed off within the first half of the movie? Lame.

I actually would put this one at #5 or so on Marvel movies. Too cluttered and forced, but still really well done overall.

Udaman
05-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Agree completely about Quicksilver's death. Not at all believable. Plus - why take the same character from the X-Men and then kill him off, when clearly he was super young in the X-Men in 1973 (per Days of Future Past).

The one way you can't kill Quicksilver is by shooting him. He just dances around the bullets (like that great scene in X-Men). I get that they had to kill off someone. Wish it had been the Witch.

Still - definitely in the Top Tier of Superhero movies. Saw it again with my kids on Saturday, and enjoyed it the second time as well.

JasonEvans
05-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Agree completely about Quicksilver's death. Not at all believable. Plus - why take the same character from the X-Men and then kill him off, when clearly he was super young in the X-Men in 1973 (per Days of Future Past).

The one way you can't kill Quicksilver is by shooting him. He just dances around the bullets (like that great scene in X-Men). I get that they had to kill off someone. Wish it had been the Witch.

Lets be clear, even though they carry the same superhero nickname and would seem to exhibit similar powers, the mutant X-Men Quicksilver from DOFP is not the same character as the "enhanced" Quicksilver from Avengers 2. You can't take the story and abilities of one and force it upon the other. In DOFP, he could move so fast that bullets had no hope of hitting him. In Avengers 2, he was super fast but not so quick as to be able to literally make time stand still and dodge bullets. You just have to accept what each character brought to the table and leave it at that.

As you may know, Fox owns the rights to X-Men and the "mutant" form of Superhero. So, there is a reason Disney/Marvel came up with an alternate way of explaining the powers of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver versus calling it a mutation in Avengers 2.

The interesting thing about killing off Quicksilver is that there was massive speculation that Marvel was going to kill off Chris Evans' Captain America. In the comic books, Steve Rodgers dies and Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier) takes over as Cap. There was also speculation the movie would send Bruce Banner/Hulk off into outter space to flee from the destruction he causes on Earth (comic book fans are dying to see the iconic Planet Hulk comic series on the big screen, though Universal still owns the rights to the Hulk as a standalone character). There was even talk that Thor might perish, only to be reborn via whoever wields the Hammer, which is how it works in the comic books (as an aside, I adored the moment when Vision picks up Mjolnir and everyone instantly knows he is a good dude). So, clearly someone was going to die, we just all guessed it would be a more major character.

-Jason "by the way, while I enjoyed this film, it wasn't nearly as good as the first Avengers to me. I'd put it in the top third of the Marvel films, but not better than Iron Man, Avengers 1, or Cap 2" Evans

FerryFor50
05-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Lets be clear, even though they carry the same superhero nickname and would seem to exhibit similar powers, the mutant X-Men Quicksilver from DOFP is not the same character as the "enhanced" Quicksilver from Avengers 2. You can't take the story and abilities of one and force it upon the other. In DOFP, he could move so fast that bullets had no hope of hitting him. In Avengers 2, he was super fast but not so quick as to be able to literally make time stand still and dodge bullets. You just have to accept what each character brought to the table and leave it at that.

As you may know, Fox owns the rights to X-Men and the "mutant" form of Superhero. So, there is a reason Disney/Marvel came up with an alternate way of explaining the powers of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver versus calling it a mutation in Avengers 2.

The interesting thing about killing off Quicksilver is that there was massive speculation that Marvel was going to kill off Chris Evans' Captain America. In the comic books, Steve Rodgers dies and Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier) takes over as Cap. There was also speculation the movie would send Bruce Banner/Hulk off into outter space to flee from the destruction he causes on Earth (comic book fans are dying to see the iconic Planet Hulk comic series on the big screen, though Universal still owns the rights to the Hulk as a standalone character). There was even talk that Thor might perish, only to be reborn via whoever wields the Hammer, which is how it works in the comic books (as an aside, I adored the moment when Vision picks up Mjolnir and everyone instantly knows he is a good dude). So, clearly someone was going to die, we just all guessed it would be a more major character.

-Jason "by the way, while I enjoyed this film, it wasn't nearly as good as the first Avengers to me. I'd put it in the top third of the Marvel films, but not better than Iron Man, Avengers 1, or Cap 2" Evans

I get that, but they never really developed Quicksilver enough to know how fast he was. So it's all speculation however you look at it.

I don't get why they needed to kill anyone off at all. And if you're going to kill off one, why not one that you have some emotional investment in, especially one that's mortal/not super powered (looking at you, Hawkeye).

However, that would have been pretty cold to develop his character with his family and then kill him off...

I'd have preferred to see no one die. The death was pretty powerless. Lesser character, not developed, no attachment. I mean, he had *just* turned into a good guy halfway in the movie.

Duvall
05-06-2015, 12:02 AM
I get that, but they never really developed Quicksilver enough to know how fast he was. So it's all speculation however you look at it.

I don't get why they needed to kill anyone off at all. And if you're going to kill off one, why not one that you have some emotional investment in, especially one that's mortal/not super powered (looking at you, Hawkeye).

However, that would have been pretty cold to develop his character with his family and then kill him off...

I'd have preferred to see no one die. The death was pretty powerless. Lesser character, not developed, no attachment. I mean, he had *just* turned into a good guy halfway in the movie.

Unless they are setting up Wanda to be a major character, in which case Pietro's death was part of her development. Maybe setting the stage for her reaction when the Vision is "destroyed" in Infinity War.

And of course someone had to die - it's a Joss Whedon production! Story ain't done until someone is bleeding out on the floor.

JasonEvans
05-06-2015, 12:47 AM
Unless they are setting up Wanda to be a major character, in which case Pietro's death was part of her development. Maybe setting the stage for her reaction when the Vision is "destroyed" in Infinity War.

Ooooh, someone is either a huge comic book fan or has seen stories about the fact that Vision and Scarlet Witch dance the horizontal shuffle with each other in the comic books.
http://cdn.geekpr0n.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Kiss.jpg

And of course someone had to die - it's a Joss Whedon production! Story ain't done until someone is bleeding out on the floor.

Or impaled on a piece of wreckage... poor Wash!

I actually think there should be more 'price to pay' be heroes in these stories. They are trying to thwart plans that will kill millions. Taking the life of at least one good guy seems like a reasonable trade off and forces the audience to stay on its toes. I wish more movies and TV shows had the courage to kill off significant characters. I mean, that's one of the things that made Lost so great (until it sucked).

-Jason "http://hypervocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/not-pennys-boat.jpg" Evans

Matches
05-06-2015, 01:09 PM
The interesting thing about killing off Quicksilver is that there was massive speculation that Marvel was going to kill off Chris Evans' Captain America. In the comic books, Steve Rodgers dies and Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier) takes over as Cap.

In the comics, this happens right at the end of the "Civil War" storyline. Cap III, due out next year, is subtitled "Civil War". Would not be at all surprised to see Cap die at the end of Civil War.

FerryFor50
05-06-2015, 01:36 PM
In the comics, this happens right at the end of the "Civil War" storyline. Cap III, due out next year, is subtitled "Civil War". Would not be at all surprised to see Cap die at the end of Civil War.

Yup. In fact, Chris Evans was only going to appear in a few more Marvel movies.

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-chris-evans-quitting-acting/

Wander
05-10-2015, 03:23 AM

I'm sort of tired of this. The Avengers not getting along in the first movie made sense and was part of the point of the movie. It was tolerable in this one. By the time The Infinity Stones movies come out, I want that stuff done with. No in-fighting, and the Hulk has some reasonable non-emo control of his powers.

Given that the Infinity Stones movies are two films, I imagine the first one has to have an ending on the darker side with Thanos sort of winning, and will involve a major death (is Quicksilver the first real death in a Marvel movie? They seem to be exceptionally rare to me)

I enjoyed that the movie was open with the fact that some of the Avengers are much more powerful than others (the initial fight had the bad guy focus fire on Hawkeye since he was a "weaker one"), even though it was sort of forgotten by the movie's end when anyone could punch a robot to cause it to explode.

OldPhiKap
05-10-2015, 07:26 AM
I posted this on another thread but should have put it here:

Okay, here's my problem. You got Tony Stark, genius programmer with a robot suit. He is paired with two guys who are mutants as a result of science, the Hulk and Captain America. Okay so far, I get it.

Alright, then we add Black Widow, who like Mrs OPK is hot but lethal.* Doesn't really fit in, but I'll play along. Then we add some dude who's superpower is -- wait for it -- using a bow and arrow, maybe impressive in the sixteenth century, but hell Bo Duke could shoot exploding arrows too. So kind of watering down.

Then we add . . . Thor?!? Norse God of Thunder?!? How did an ancient diety suddenly fall in with this group? And Thor is not just a Norse God -- he is an intergalactic traveler on some sort of planetary Geocache for gemstones. The whole thing falls apart for me there.

The movies are enjoyable, but worrying about plot points is difficult for me.

*When I say that Mrs. OPK is hot and lethal, I really mean just the hot part. She's not lethal. Not usually. Rarely. I mean, she's got the whole Italian-Irish vengeance thing. And of course that incident in Belize. The locals still refer to it as "The Night of the Screaming Screecher Monkeys." Arturo surely did not see it coming. But he had switched her coffee for decaf Sanka as a prank, practically inviting the icy hand of death to visit upon him. We had left Rangoon weeks ago on a steamer under cover of night, and made contact with Arturo along the banks of Chetumal Bay on the eve of the blood moon. Three days into the dense jungle approaching the Maya mountains, and now Arturo lay dead. Although the ground was soft from the rain, the roots made the ground impenetrable. Alas, Arturo's fate would lie with the phirana and python of the Sibun River. No time to ponder the past, as the sun was dipping below the canopy of trees and kindling would be needed. The anaconda had been unusually active, and fire was the surest protection. Was it the curse of the one-legged shaman that summoned the asps? Or had we miscalculated by rubbing our clothes with fatback to help preserve them better? No matter. The Sapphire of TikkaMasala lay 1,200 miles to the south in a remote part of the Andes mountains. It would take three weeks to reach it at best, assuming Melissa had acquired the burros we needed. Ah, sweet Melissa. The peasants called her the Goddess of Gloom. She was homely in a compelling way. Perhaps it was her strong odor of garlic, reminding me of the Arancinette all'Olmo Cicillia had served us our last visit to Palermo. Or perhaps it was her lazy eye, which gave me the comforting feeling that she was always watching my back even when we looked eyes to eye. But again, thoughts of Melissa would have to wait in abeyance. Night was at hand.

But anyway, I digress. Long/short: don't piss off my wife. She is a cold-hearted, remorseless, stone-eyed killer. But she's hot.

YmoBeThere
05-10-2015, 10:26 AM
I believe Avengers was created in the '60s when someone was late with artwork and Marvel needed something to push out the door. This is what you end up with.

fuse
05-10-2015, 11:38 AM
I managed to stay spoiler free until we saw A2 Friday afternoon.

My brief summary is I suffered from the burden of high expectations.
The first Avengers was among the best (most entertaining) movies I've seen.

A2 just didn't stack up.
I still really enjoyed it, it just didn't grip me the way I hoped it would.

davekay1971
05-10-2015, 12:24 PM
*When I say that Mrs. OPK is hot and lethal, I really mean just the hot part. She's not lethal. Not usually. Rarely. I mean, she's got the whole Italian-Irish vengeance thing. And of course that incident in Belize. The locals still refer to it as "The Night of the Screaming Screecher Monkeys." Arturo surely did not see it coming. But he had switched her coffee for decaf Sanka as a prank, practically inviting the icy hand of death to visit upon him. We had left Rangoon weeks ago on a steamer under cover of night, and made contact with Arturo along the banks of Chetumal Bay on the eve of the blood moon. Three days into the dense jungle approaching the Maya mountains, and now Arturo lay dead. Although the ground was soft from the rain, the roots made the ground impenetrable. Alas, Arturo's fate would lie with the phirana and python of the Sibun River. No time to ponder the past, as the sun was dipping below the canopy of trees and kindling would be needed. The anaconda had been unusually active, and fire was the surest protection. Was it the curse of the one-legged shaman that summoned the asps? Or had we miscalculated by rubbing our clothes with fatback to help preserve them better? No matter. The Sapphire of TikkaMasala lay 1,200 miles to the south in a remote part of the Andes mountains. It would take three weeks to reach it at best, assuming Melissa had acquired the burros we needed. Ah, sweet Melissa. The peasants called her the Goddess of Gloom. She was homely in a compelling way. Perhaps it was her strong odor of garlic, reminding me of the Arancinette all'Olmo Cicillia had served us our last visit to Palermo. Or perhaps it was her lazy eye, which gave me the comforting feeling that she was always watching my back even when we looked eyes to eye. But again, thoughts of Melissa would have to wait in abeyance. Night was at hand.

But anyway, I digress. Long/short: don't piss off my wife. She is a cold-hearted, remorseless, stone-eyed killer. But she's hot.

So THAT'S what happened to Arturo! One day, OPK, when I find you, I will say to you, "Hello...my name is Davekay1971...you killed my brother...prepare to die!"

Wander
05-17-2015, 07:11 PM
So Avengers 1 and 2 both did a good job with giving all the characters screen time, but what is happening with the Avengers Infinity War Parts 1 and 2? By my count, the characters that are going to appear in that are: the six Avengers from the original movie, new team members Falcon, Vision, Scarlet Witch, and War Machine, the five heroes from Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-man, and upcoming movie main characters Ant-man, Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, and Black Panther. That's TWENTY superheroes! To say nothing of other recurring characters like Loki and Samuel L Jackson and Aunt Robin. Maybe a few of them don't appear, but these are the movies that Marvel has been building up to in their entire movie universe, so you figure most those 20 have to appear. Is it finally too much?

Duvall
05-17-2015, 07:55 PM
So Avengers 1 and 2 both did a good job with giving all the characters screen time, but what is happening with the Avengers Infinity War Parts 1 and 2? By my count, the characters that are going to appear in that are: the six Avengers from the original movie, new team members Falcon, Vision, Scarlet Witch, and War Machine, the five heroes from Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-man, and upcoming movie main characters Ant-man, Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, and Black Panther. That's TWENTY superheroes! To say nothing of other recurring characters like Loki and Samuel L Jackson and Aunt Robin. Maybe a few of them don't appear, but these are the movies that Marvel has been building up to in their entire movie universe, so you figure most those 20 have to appear. Is it finally too much?

Probably. Killing off some of those characters along the way would help, though.

OldPhiKap
05-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Probably. Killing off some of those characters along the way would help, though.

My bet is that Ant-Man disappears after this summer.

JNort
05-17-2015, 10:11 PM
I posted this on another thread but should have put it here:

Okay, here's my problem. You got Tony Stark, genius programmer with a robot suit. He is paired with two guys who are mutants as a result of science, the Hulk and Captain America. Okay so far, I get it.

Alright, then we add Black Widow, who like Mrs OPK is hot but lethal.* Doesn't really fit in, but I'll play along. Then we add some dude who's superpower is -- wait for it -- using a bow and arrow, maybe impressive in the sixteenth century, but hell Bo Duke could shoot exploding arrows too. So kind of watering down.

Then we add . . . Thor?!? Norse God of Thunder?!? How did an ancient diety suddenly fall in with this group? And Thor is not just a Norse God -- he is an intergalactic traveler on some sort of planetary Geocache for gemstones. The whole thing falls apart for me there.

The movies are enjoyable, but worrying about plot points is difficult for me.

Do you watch the individual movies? Kinda brings the plots together much better than just watching A1 and A2

JNort
05-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Just got back from watching A2 and must say I really enjoyed it but didn't like the villain. Thought he wasn't much of a threat after watching A1. Really thought and was hoping either Black Widow or Hawkeye would die.

So this Witch girl... seems a little overpowered to me. At least if she can do what she did to machines to humans as well. Stark would be shredded by her from what I saw and she could easily have killed the villain with the bat of an eye.

Overall I loved it but they forced to much and came up short of A1

Wander
05-17-2015, 11:23 PM

Well, none of the characters are going to die in their own movie, and I can't imagine anyone big dying before Infinity War, though I'm guessing someone big will die in it to make everyone hate the big bad guy. I guess I could see a minor character like War Machine or something get killed in Civil War, but nothing more than that.

luburch
05-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Well, none of the characters are going to die in their own movie, and I can't imagine anyone big dying before Infinity War, though I'm guessing someone big will die in it to make everyone hate the big bad guy. I guess I could see a minor character like War Machine or something get killed in Civil War, but nothing more than that.

Isn't Cap supposed to die in Civil War?

JasonEvans
05-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Isn't Cap supposed to die in Civil War?

In the comics, Cap is arrested for his opposition to the superhero registration act. While walking into a federal courthouse, Cap is shot and killed. The storyline involves the character Crossbones, who is confirmed to be one of the villains in the Civil War movie. Following Cap's death, a letter in found where he says he wants Bucky Barnes, The Winter Soldier, to get his shield and become the new Captain America.

But, it is not known if this storyline will be the one followed in the Civil War movie. Though the movies have borrowed heavily from some of the comic stories, they are not entirely faithful.

Fans have noted that Chris Evans' Marvel contract called for 6 movies while Sebastian Stan's contract to play Bucky Barnes was for 9 movies, indicating that Evans may be done as Cap fairly soon with Stan/Bucky taking over the role. But, there has been sooooo much talk about this, I suspect Marvel will try to fool all of us by doing something different. After initially balking at a new contract, Evans has said lately he would be willing to play Cap a little bit longer. I would imagine the paychecks are verrrry nice.

-Jason "all that said, I do think we will see characters die both leading up to and certainly during Infinity Wars -- Marvel is getting sick of paying Robert Downey Jr $40+ mil per film" Evans

davekay1971
05-24-2015, 03:53 PM
In the comics, Cap is arrested for his opposition to the superhero registration act. While walking into a federal courthouse, Cap is shot and killed. The storyline involves the character Crossbones, who is confirmed to be one of the villains in the Civil War movie. Following Cap's death, a letter in found where he says he wants Bucky Barnes, The Winter Soldier, to get his shield and become the new Captain America.

But, it is not known if this storyline will be the one followed in the Civil War movie. Though the movies have borrowed heavily from some of the comic stories, they are not entirely faithful.

Fans have noted that Chris Evans' Marvel contract called for 6 movies while Sebastian Stan's contract to play Bucky Barnes was for 9 movies, indicating that Evans may be done as Cap fairly soon with Stan/Bucky taking over the role. But, there has been sooooo much talk about this, I suspect Marvel will try to fool all of us by doing something different. After initially balking at a new contract, Evans has said lately he would be willing to play Cap a little bit longer. I would imagine the paychecks are verrrry nice.

-Jason "all that said, I do think we will see characters die both leading up to and certainly during Infinity Wars -- Marvel is getting sick of paying Robert Downey Jr $40+ mil per film" Evans

I was thinking about the question of Cap dying in Civil War. I'm thinking that's not likely to happen.

First, is Evans' quick cameo in Thor2 considered one of his 6 movies? By my count, excluding that appearance, we have Evans in Cap, Cap2, Cap3, Avengers, and Avengers2. That leaves one more movie after Cap3.

Second, Cap2 made huge money, Cap3 is likely to make huger money (oh yeah, grammar, baby!), all of that is going to make Evans as Cap an important box office draw to the Infinity War movies that Marvel has been building up to for close to a decade. Given the dip Avengers 2 is taking compared to Avengers, I don't think Marvel is going to risk not having any of their marquee stars in Infinity War.

That doesn't mean Cap won't die in Infinity War. In fact, I strongly suspect that both Evans' and Downey's characters will be killed off in that 2 part movie. That will serve an important role in clearing the deck, and budget, for a new pantheon of characters and stars to lead us into Marvel's next cycle of movies.

JasonEvans
05-25-2015, 12:08 AM
First, is Evans' quick cameo in Thor2 considered one of his 6 movies? By my count, excluding that appearance, we have Evans in Cap, Cap2, Cap3, Avengers, and Avengers2. That leaves one more movie after Cap3.

It is my understanding that the multi-pic contracts essentially lock an actor and a studio together at a fixed price but if the studio chooses not to use all of the option, it can buy it out for a relatively small amount. Marvel can use Evans in up to 6 films at a rate that has been predetermined. but, if they choose to only use him in 5 films, there is a fairly small (maybe $1 million or less) fee they pay for not using the entire contract. The problem comes when they want to use him in a 7th film. At that point, he can sorta name his price and they would be stuck either paying it or finding a new actor for the role.

This really came up with RDjr, who was initially only signed for 2 films (I think). When they wanted him for Avengers and Iron Man 3 (and more), he held Marvel up for something like $40 mil per film (I believe he gets $20 mil as a fixed rate plus he gets points on how much money the films earn, and they all make $350+ mil).

-Jason "that's why Marvel is going to kill off Iron Man some time soon" Evans

davekay1971
05-25-2015, 08:21 AM
It is my understanding that the multi-pic contracts essentially lock an actor and a studio together at a fixed price but if the studio chooses not to use all of the option, it can buy it out for a relatively small amount. Marvel can use Evans in up to 6 films at a rate that has been predetermined. but, if they choose to only use him in 5 films, there is a fairly small (maybe $1 million or less) fee they pay for not using the entire contract. The problem comes when they want to use him in a 7th film. At that point, he can sorta name his price and they would be stuck either paying it or finding a new actor for the role.

This really came up with RDjr, who was initially only signed for 2 films (I think). When they wanted him for Avengers and Iron Man 3 (and more), he held Marvel up for something like $40 mil per film (I believe he gets $20 mil as a fixed rate plus he gets points on how much money the films earn, and they all make $350+ mil).

-Jason "that's why Marvel is going to kill off Iron Man some time soon" Evans

Obviously, with bringing War Machine into the Avengers just in time for Infinity War (and Cap:Civil War), it sets up a clear possibility for Rhodes to take over as Iron Man. IIRC, that happened in the comics.

Don Cheadle has been a long time favorite of mine, ever since I saw him in Devil in a Blue Dress with his amazing turn as Mouse. He has good comedic timing and can rattle off dialogue just as easily as can RDJ. Frankly, given his performances in Hotel Rwanda and Traffic, he's got acting chops probably more broad than RDJ's. Not sure anyone can "replace" RDJ in the Iron Man role, but, since there aren't going to be any more Iron stand-alone movies, as part of ensemble cast, Cheadle is great. One thing I just realized, though, is that Cheadle is getting a little older (he was born in 1964). That's not an issue for the Infinity War and Civil War movies, but, if he were to carry on into Marvel's next "cycle", he might start looking a bit over the hill for an action star. Maybe neither Cheadle nor RDJ will be seen after Infinity war!

Olympic Fan
05-29-2015, 07:34 PM
After being late to see The Avengers: Age of Ultron, the one point that has been haunting me ...

Okay, Aaron Taylor-Johnson shows up (and quickly dies) as Quicksilver ... but wouldn't it have been a lot cooler if he had played his OTHER super hero role --

I think Kick*ss would have fit in perfectly with the Avengers ...