PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Duke memorabilia

Duke95
04-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Mine is a copy of the 1992 NCAA Victory Edition of the Chronicle with the "Sweet Repeat" title showing Brian Davis hugging K. Says the circulation was 3,000. The staff were passing them out around the fire. I'm quite surprised I was sober enough to grab a copy. Now framed and hanging in my office. Good memories.

MarkD83
04-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Mine is a copy of the 1992 NCAA Victory Edition of the Chronicle with the "Sweet Repeat" title showing Brian Davis hugging K. Says the circulation was 3,000. The staff were passing them out around the fire. I'm quite surprised I was sober enough to grab a copy. Now framed and hanging in my office. Good memories.

The three Duke hats (one autographed by Coach K) and the plaques with 1) a piece of Cameron floor and 2) a piece of the 2001 Final 4 floor. These items surround my TV and have ever since the loss at home vs Miami. My wife suggested I take them down this past weekend but I said to wait a day or two. After all that has transpired since the loss to Miami I may not remove any of it.

throatybeard
04-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Robert Brickey signed a game-worn Robert Brickey jersey for me while I was wearing it as a spectator at a game. It's a good thing he did when he did, because now I'm too fat to wear it.

You know the commemorative Coke Zero cans in Indy? They handed me a 6er of those as I left. I didn't realize it was commemorative, gave away four, and chugged two, needing the caffeine for the drive back to Illinois. A shame, but on the other hand, I'm not dead in a ditch somewhere east of Terre Haute.

kingboozer
04-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Cherokee Parks signed jersey. Because he's the Chief and he's awesome.

calvindog
04-27-2015, 09:46 PM
I've got team signed balls from the teams of 92, 99, 01, 10 and 15.

Duke95
04-27-2015, 09:50 PM

Who are you, Calvin Hill?

weezie
04-27-2015, 10:29 PM
1991 Midwest Regional sweatshirt, Duke-conn-ohio state-st.john's. Bought it at the game, later that night was rushed into surgery for appendix removal.
Now I only wear it to family christenings and weddings. It's very special. :cool:

NYBri
04-27-2015, 10:36 PM
My 1974 Duke diploma.

camion
04-27-2015, 11:15 PM
I still have a can of Duke True Blue soda '91 chilling in the fridge.

The win over UNLV that year is my biggest ever bball adrenalin rush.

91devil
04-27-2015, 11:38 PM
My 2015 bottle of Zima.

Thanks, Weezie!

calvindog
04-28-2015, 12:21 AM
Who are you, Calvin Hill?

No, but my son's name is Grant. :)

neemizzle
04-28-2015, 12:24 AM
When I was a kid, my mom would put me in the car and drive me to Cameron since we only lived 20 minutes away, and I have a notebook, the size of a stack of notecards, and each one is signed by a member of teams (and coaches) from 1999-2001. Witnessed many bonfires also as a kid, still have my Shane Battier number 31 jersey that I wore then, and many Crazies would high five me. That book and jersey will always be my favorites!

ricks68
04-28-2015, 01:07 AM
My Duke hat with almost 70 signatures currently on it, and still being added to. All signatures are Duke related from Dick Groat, Jack Marin, Lefty, Laettner, Thomas Hill, Grant, JJ, Shane, Crazy Towel Guy, Alarie, Bob Harris, Johnny D, Doug and Chris Collins, Wojo, Dockery, Singler, Scheyer, Brey, Bilas, Jason, Duhon, Kyrie, Lance, Zoubs, all 3 Plumlee's, Grayson, and many more really good ones. I just keep adding to it at games at Duke and NCAA'S. Not much room left, but I think I can squeeze in quite a few more. I wear it to all Duke games, so feel free to come up and say hello.

ricks

TruBlu
04-28-2015, 05:42 AM
When Jeff Capel hit his shot against unc in '95, the young gentleman seated behind me jumped high in the air (as we all did). But he landed on the back of my seat, and broke the slat with the seat number tag. It went home with me.

I need to get Jeff to autograph it for me.

Number 2: A 3' x 6' Final Four banner that flew on the outside of Lucas Oil in Indy in 2010, which I attended with my kids. My daughter got it for me from her friend who worked at the stadium. It hangs beside the TV where I watch the Duke games (when I cannot attend in person).

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-28-2015, 05:56 AM
I have both the 91 and 92 Chronicle front pages framed in my office. My freshman and sophomore years. Man was I lucky to be there then!

wilson
04-28-2015, 07:25 AM
I still have the Duke hoodie that Santa Claus brought me in 1991. It's pilled and old and faded, but it's still in pretty heavy rotation. I love that thing.

Henderson
04-28-2015, 07:32 AM

Small pens?

brandon990
04-28-2015, 09:56 AM
1978 Team Signed Ball. I was 9 and we were at a local (Greensboro) church auction. I can still remember my parents winning it. Have it with me to this day. Spanarkel was my "first" favorite player.

sagegrouse
04-28-2015, 10:02 AM
The picture of a young Sage Grouse and six unindicted co-conspirators with the captured Navy goat, taken in the basement of House K, in November 1960. It sits on my credenza in my Colorado office.

rifraf
04-28-2015, 10:27 AM
After I enrolled, my parents got me a large Duke flag as a gift. I wore it as a cape as part of my Cameron outfit to every game at Cameron while I was a student. It has some paint stains and stuff on it. Since then it has hung in my office at work or at home.

weezie
04-28-2015, 11:28 AM
My 2015 bottle of Zima.

Thanks, Weezie!

BOOM! :cool:

oldnavy
04-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Team signed 92 BB media guide. It was a gift to me from my best friend who lived beside Tommy Amaker at the time. Thing is I came close to giving it away because I already had a copy of the media guide when he gave it to me and I didn't even look at it until he told me I may want to peek at it!

dairedevil
04-28-2015, 12:03 PM
My son has his signed poster with the '99 team hanging in his office - but the "Young Guns" poster is still hanging in his bedroom at my house! I'm sure that if it were signed, he would have taken it with him, too. :)

rasputin
04-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Mine's the plaque with a piece of the old Cameron floor (a blue piece); the plaque also includes signatures by Coach K and Coach Foster.

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-28-2015, 12:32 PM

Funny, I have a 1991.

Tom B.
04-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Technically not my piece of memorabilia, though I claim partial ownership -- my younger brother has a copy of the program from my Duke graduation signed by Grant Hill, who was a classmate and graduated on the same day (Class of 1994). My brother was 13 at the time and snagged Grant's autograph as everyone was leaving Wallace Wade Stadium after the ceremony.

Indoor66
04-28-2015, 01:19 PM
I have a piece of the Original floor from 1940 that was replaced in the mid-seventies during the Bill Foster tenure. If I knew how to do it, I would post pictures.

Philsfan
04-28-2015, 03:19 PM
1. Signed copy (the team and coaching staff) of SI's commemorative 2010 title issue.

2. 16 x 20 photo (signed by players and K) of the 2010 team on the platform with Jim Nantz in Indy. K graciously added "2010 Champs!" to the bottom of the pic.

3. Signed SI of Scheyer celebrating the 2010 title.

gam7
04-28-2015, 06:27 PM
I have the worst "Mom-threw-my-sports-stuff-away" story ever.

My senior in high school, I was an intern with the sports department at the local NBC affiliate in my hometown. NBC owned rights to the NBA Finals that year and the local affiliate would put on a local NBA Finals post-game show after each game. The special guest host for the whole NBA Finals that year was James Worthy. So, I basically got to watch the whole NBA Finals with our local sports guy and James Worthy sitting around a little TV in a prefab sports man-cave type thing that served as the sports department offices (my job was to watch the game and write down the time of the highlight plays on the VCR device they used - yes, it was awesome). Worthy knew I was going to Duke in the Fall, and once the Finals were over, he autographed a piece of paper in a school notebook of mine as follows:

"To [gam7]:

GO DUKE!!

/s/ James Worthy

(Don't tell anyone I ever said that)"

Mom threw away the notebook a few years later, not realizing what was inside.... Sorry, James, for telling people. I've crossed paths with Worthy a few times, and he has always been tremendous - just a really friendly guy.

msdukie
04-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Robert Brickey signed a game-worn Robert Brickey jersey for me while I was wearing it as a spectator at a game. It's a good thing he did when he did, because now I'm too fat to wear it.

You know the commemorative Coke Zero cans in Indy? They handed me a 6er of those as I left. I didn't realize it was commemorative, gave away four, and chugged two, needing the caffeine for the drive back to Illinois. A shame, but on the other hand, I'm not dead in a ditch somewhere east of Terre Haute.

There are a ton on eBay FYI. They only gave me 2, and I had to work for them. When I went to the team hotel for the afterparty, there was a different version on various tables which commemorated the fact that the holder of said can was attending the national championship game.

throatybeard
04-29-2015, 10:36 AM
I have a lock of Wilbur Wade Card's hair.

nyesq83
04-30-2015, 09:25 PM
Gave my friend a 50th birthday card signed by Cut and K.

Best memorabilia that I still own is a Duke banner my mom made in 1979 out of felt fabric she recycled from the Macy's at the Walt Whitman Mall in South Huntington, NY.

calvindog
05-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Incredibly, I just picked up a player's 2001 championship ring.

superdave
05-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Incredibly, I just picked up a player's 2001 championship ring.

Yeesh. Dare I ask whose? I wish the team would buy them back and put them in a display.

Details please, Calvin.

gocanes0506
05-09-2015, 10:26 PM
My wonderful wife wrote Coach K while I was deployed to Afghanistan. I have a signed, personalized poster from Coach. Plus, a signed copy of his book The Gold Standard, a shirt, a polo, and duke basketball notebook.

drcharl
05-12-2015, 01:11 PM
1) Framed autograph Laettner jersey with picture of "the shot".

2) Mid 60's vintage jacket below with leather sleeves.

diablesseblu
05-12-2015, 01:31 PM
1. Mine currently is a 2001 ball autographed by the entire team and Coach K. My daughter graduated that year and will give the ball to her at some point.

2. To start my daughter's collection, I gifted my Cameron plaque (mentioned earlier in the thread) with a floor piece and signed by K and Foster to my son-in-law.

3. The most unique is the entire key from the Spectrum where "the shot" was made. We were at the game (daughter was 13 at the time). She had a huge crush on CL. When they razed the Spectrum, they sold this at auction for charity. Her dad bought it as a surprise surface for her first dance as a bride. (She and her husband have used it in the past in a wonderful man cave setup. However, they've been moving around and it's currently in storage.)

DukieInKansas
05-12-2015, 04:22 PM
I have a pen made out of the Cameron floor. I carry it in my checkbook with Duke checks. (Yes, I still write the occasional check.)

cf-62
05-12-2015, 06:47 PM
I have all kinds of signed balls, posters, jerseys, and floor pieces, but my most treasured memorabilia is a one-of-a-kind piece of furniture.

It is a wall-cabinet made completely from the old Cameron floor, hand-made as an anniversary present for me and my wife (both '89) by Ned Light (also '89), who we tragically lost a few years ago.

It's one of those "I can't believe you did that" moments, and my eyes must have been 10 feet wide.

It's a wonderful, comforting piece of love sitting in the middle of my office amongst all our other Duke stuff. Number 2 has to be the All-American ball, which my wife bought me as a birthday present a few years ago. Signed by all Duke AA's under K (and G-man, too).

Tom B.
05-12-2015, 11:35 PM
3. The most unique is the entire key from the Spectrum where "the shot" was made. We were at the game (daughter was 13 at the time). She had a huge crush on CL. When they razed the Spectrum, they sold this at auction for charity. Her dad bought it as a surprise surface for her first dance as a bride. (She and her husband have used it in the past in a wonderful man cave setup. However, they've been moving around and it's currently in storage.)

Holy cow.

That.

Is.

Awesome.

I have all kinds of signed balls, posters, jerseys, and floor pieces, but my most treasured memorabilia is a one-of-a-kind piece of furniture.

It is a wall-cabinet made completely from the old Cameron floor, hand-made as an anniversary present for me and my wife (both '89) by Ned Light (also '89), who we tragically lost a few years ago.

It's one of those "I can't believe you did that" moments, and my eyes must have been 10 feet wide.

It's a wonderful, comforting piece of love sitting in the middle of my office amongst all our other Duke stuff. Number 2 has to be the All-American ball, which my wife bought me as a birthday present a few years ago. Signed by all Duke AA's under K (and G-man, too).

OK, that's pretty incredible, too.

brianl
05-13-2015, 08:05 AM
I have a JJ Redick and a Bobby Hurley signed jersey framed in my Duke Room. Took me 10 years to get Hurley's. I'm still trying to get my Battier jersey signed, but haven't been successful yet.

nmduke2001
02-15-2016, 11:47 PM

DukieInKansas
02-16-2016, 12:56 AM

Nice!

aimo
02-16-2016, 10:00 AM
The family has several vintage 1960s Duke football bobble heads. We have all kinds of vintage Duke stuff, given that my dad graduated in 63 and we've had season tickets to football and basketball ever since.

I also have a "Scholars vs Scumbags" t-shirt that I bought from a guy in the Hideaway while watching THE Duke/UNLV game.