PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke Brandon Ingram!!!

SuperTurkey
04-27-2015, 06:11 PM
YAY!

rsvman
04-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Sweet!!

Welcome, indeed.

Newton_14
Love it! Kid can ball! Top 10 again boys!

SOmebody check on Ol Roy please. He might be having the Big One!!!

Go Duke!

ScreechTDX1847
The stream cut out for 3 mins and cut right back into Brandon wearing a Duke hat. NICE! Psyched to see this guy play next year.

Indoor66
He is wearing the correct BLUE. Welcome young man

Rogue
04-27-2015, 06:13 PM
LETS GO DUKE LETS GO DUKE LETS GO DUKE .. Nice

DukeDiva
04-27-2015, 06:13 PM
It's a great day to be a Duke fan! Welcome to Duke, Brandon Ingram!

Duke95
04-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Welcome, Brandon!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
:) competing threads

bluedev_92
Great news. Great kid! Go DUKE!!!

Dr. Rosenrosen
Props to them for the short program and sticking to it. No BS'ing around. All biz.

Hellz yeah!

SuperTurkey
Definitely didn't drag it out, unlike Barnes. Short and sweet!

azzefkram
Sweet

DukeFanSince1990
04-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Just popped a bunch of popcorn, going over to IC.

kingboozer
I love it, Inside Carolina will be especially entertaining in the next few hours to monitor!

Welcome Brandon!

uh_no
Definitely didn't drag it out, unlike Barnes. Short and sweet!

Perhaps he snap-chatted K before hand to let him know.

He only twittered at the others to let them down.

kcduke75
YAY!

Man, he looked thin in that suit - but the hat appeared to be prefect!

Welcome!

Furniture
04-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Said he had always been a Duke fan and loves everything about coachK!!

mgtr
04-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Let the minute allocation discussion begin!

kcduke75
04-27-2015, 06:17 PM
I love it, Inside Carolina will be especially entertaining in the next few hours to monitor!

Welcome Brandon!

Link please!

NYBri
UP for another fun year!

Welcome, Brandon!

dbcooper
Welcome to Duke young man... you just completed the #1 Recruiting class in the Nation..... Again!

DB --E

duketaylor
Sweet!! Now repeat!!
Welcome Brandon!!!

miramar
Didn't Tony Parker tell him to go to UCLA because Duke can't develop big men?

kingboozer
04-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Link please!

http://northcarolina.scout.com/forums/1410-basketball/13814348-ingram-discussion?s=78

starts on page 28, its starting to get good!

kcduke75
04-27-2015, 06:21 PM
UP for another fun year!

Welcome, Brandon!

I believe you meant a banner year!

duke09hms
Welcome to Duke, Brandon!

OMG he is skinny though. Just watched his highlights for the first time (I don't watch highlights until they commit), and holy crap he needs to eat. Looks like a skinnier Kevin Durant.

Closing the Duke Chick-Fil-A just might have cost us a natty ...

-bdbd
Welcome to Duke Brandon!

Can't wait to see you in Royal Blue!

(Now, somebody go post that pic of him in the ugly, faded-blue uniform, next to ole Roy, over on IC, and watch the mud fly!)

This really fills a clear need in our line-up. My expectations for next year just took a step upward! We will contend, once again, with all of the big boys.

:D

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-27-2015, 06:22 PM
http://northcarolina.scout.com/forums/1410-basketball/13814348-ingram-discussion?s=78

Just go to ICMeltdown on twitter for a running summary of the best quotes from IC.

-bdbd
04-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Welcome to Duke Brandon!!

(sorry about that typo... so excited!)

uh_no

OMG he is skinny though. Just watched his highlights for the first time (I don't watch highlights until they commit), and holy crap he needs to eat. Looks like a skinnier Kevin Durant.

Closing the Duke Chick-Fil-A just might have cost us a natty ...

That's alright....i think the panda express has more calories-per-gram anyway.

Skitzle
Welcome, Brandon!!

The Press Conference was a farse. He's actually a UNC lock.

Duke95
04-27-2015, 06:24 PM

LOL @ this post on IC: Poster (highclass) is speaking truth to power.

"When was the last has UNC swept duke. That's butt hurt talk. We'd be lucky to win one. duke will be long, athletic and talented and they have better coaching. "

mr. synellinden
04-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Evan Daniels breaks it down with some comments from other recruiting analysts. Sounds like we're getting a very talented and very much improving wing forward who is going to give us a lot of flexibility offensively and defensively. Imagine a lineup with Thornton, Jones, Ingram, Jefferson and Jeter. Lots of length and versatility there. So many combinations to ponder.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1541448-ingram-commits-to-duke?s=75&utm_content=bufferdc1e9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Duke95
The Press Conference was a farse. He's actually a UNC lock.

Don't all of you thank me at once for my anti-jinx work. :)

wsb3
It has been a pretty dadgum good April.

Duke95
04-27-2015, 06:26 PM

That's all right. He'll be eating a lot of people's lunches next year.

sagegrouse
04-27-2015, 06:29 PM
Three weeks today, baby! Way to go, Brandon! Keep the celebration going! We can't wait to see you in Duke blue next year.

NancyCarol
04-27-2015, 06:29 PM
Welcome home good sir. We've been waiting for you.

NYBri
04-27-2015, 06:31 PM

Well, that was fun.

Shower time.

duke09hms
04-27-2015, 06:32 PM
That's alright....i think the panda express has more calories-per-gram anyway.

And that trusty blue McDonalds is still open 24/7. Miss those 2am McFlurries.

I'm legit worried about his health next year ... needs to add some good weight! Especially in the lower body, gotta protect those joints man!

DavidBenAkiva
04-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Welcome to Duke Brandon Ingram! I've held back about posting about his game until now. I'm very excited about his potential role on the team. He's a tall, loooooooong wing. He's best known for his shooting, but I'm more intrigued by his potential impact on the defensive end. Most highlight clips show a player's offense. A lot of Ingram showed him blocking shots. In the Nike Hoops Challenge, in particular, that defensive presence showed up in his ability to get in passing lanes and strip the ball. Between Grayson Allen, Matt Jones, Amile Jefferson, Marshall Plumlee, and now Ingram, we have some real defensive weapons that will be able to generate easy buckets.

At 6'9" tall and 195 lbs, Ingram has a wingspan of 7'3". His arms extend out nearly as far as Jahlil Okafor's!

A lot of people I've seen on DBR and elsewhere say that Ingram might see time at the PF spot. I just don't see it. First, I don't think K ascribes to that 1-5 defined role philosophy. Ingram is going to float out on the perimeter on offense, in my opinion. That would leave only one person in the post, someone like Jefferson, Plumlee, Jeter, or Obi. To my knowledge, none of those guys are proven back-to-the-basket type post players. Having Okafor allowed Winslow to fill that undersized forward role. Without Okafor, I see Duke going with a frontcourt of Jefferson or Jeter as a forward opposite Plumlee, Obi, or Vrankovic on occasion. Jeter has the size and skills to also play the high or low post, but he's not going to be much of a primary scorer out of the gate. That leaves Ingram on the wings with a combination of talented guards. The team is going to be led by those perimeter players. I'm excited to see how they look!

NYBri

AND, thanks to Duke95 for his anti-jinx hi-jinx.

jipops
November 13, 2013. If unc fans need therapy we can remind them of this date.

theschwartz
04-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Love it when the "Welcome to Duke" thread pops up on EK. Been an incredible month for Duke bball. Super excited for next season. After the natty, I was mentally prepping myself for a possible down year next year, but the Thornton and Ingram commitments totally change the complexion of next year's team. Next year's team looks like it's gonna be an absolute joy to behold.

jipops
04-27-2015, 06:34 PM

You're not going to get any.

jv001
04-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks should go to Coach K and the entire coaching staff. Scheyer point on Thornton and Capel on Ingram. We are on a roll guys. Thank you Lord for giving us a great basketball program to root for. GoDuke!

MCFinARL
04-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Perhaps he snap-chatted K before hand to let him know.

He only twittered at the others to let them down.

I realize you are joking--but actually, one of the things I like best about Ingram is that, when he was recently interviewed about his process, he explicitly said that he would be calling each coach to let them know his decision before the announcement. So--a classy kid as well as good basketball player. I'm officially excited.

kingboozer
04-27-2015, 06:42 PM
"Screw him let's move on. He's a *DUKIE* now the hell with him."

Stay classy IC...

Edouble
04-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Wow...

I feel like I need to sit back and let it all sink in.

My expectations for next season were not high. I was thinking a top three finish in conference and a Sweet 16 would be nice. The events of the past two weeks have been incredible. All of the sudden we have a top (#1?) recruiting class, again.

If 7 out of 9 was the golden age, and the Brand through Deng years were the silver age, I think we are now in some kind of platinum age. I could be off with my precious metals, but the point is... the train is moving along at full speed. Lots of great players jumping on board, and many teams getting steamrolled. This latest incarnation of the Duke staff seems to have things on lock. I am so thankful to be a Duke fan.

Go Devils!!!!!

NYBri
04-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Wow...

I feel like I need to sit back and let it all sink in.

My expectations for next season were not high. I was thinking a top three finish in conference and a Sweet 16 would be nice. The events of the past two weeks have been incredible. All of the sudden we have a top (#1?) recruiting class, again.

If 7 out of 9 was the golden age, and the Brand through Deng years were the silver age, I think we are now in some kind of platinum age. I could be off with my precious metals, but the point is... the train is moving along at full speed. Lots of great players jumping on board, and many teams getting steamrolled. This latest incarnation of the Duke staff seems to have things on lock. I am so thankful to be a Duke fan.

Go Devils!!!!!

Something tells me Coach Capel had a hand in this.

wsb3
04-27-2015, 06:50 PM
"Screw him let's move on. He's a *DUKIE* now the hell with him."

Stay classy IC...

I know we get a little nuts on here at times but that fan base...they need help..seriously..How about the this is the NCAA's fault. They are killing our recruiting.

Hey don't create fake classes then..

westwall
04-27-2015, 06:50 PM

The anti-jinx plan was apparent all along, but -- YES, we do thank you; it worked!

gurufrisbee
04-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Welcome Brandon!

I gotta say, if you had told me last fall that we would lose Semi and Sheed during the season and we would lose Cook, Tyus, Jah, and Justise when it ended I would have never believed :

A) We would have won the national championship

or

B) We would have a FANTASTIC looking team for this next year!

And I have never been so happy to be so wrong in my beliefs! Those six guys are not able to be replaced, but man does Ingram, Kennard, Jeter, Thornton, Obi, and Vronk feel like it comes close to that. And with even better and more experienced crew of Matt, Grayson, Amile, and MP3....so excited for next year!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Welcome to Duke, Brandon! You've made a great life choice! LGD

Troublemaker
04-27-2015, 06:56 PM

Brandon's studly high school stats: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/brandon-ingram/VeYTZ_TqEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

42% from three, 64% from two, 79% on free throws

Might I add that I appreciate you announcing for Duke within like 20 seconds of approaching the mic.

Billy Dat
04-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Welcome Brandon - you are joining the Duke B-ball family at any especially sweet juncture, made all the sweeter with your announcement today. Let the good times keep rolling!!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25165400/five-star-prospect-brandon-ingram-will-play-for-duke-next-season
"It's been one amazing run over the past few months for Krzyzewski. He won his 1,000th game back in January. Then he managed to streak to a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. His team won the NCAAs, getting K his fifth title, by beating No. 1 Wisconsin in a great title game behind the magnificent play of freshmen Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen.

And then Coach K got to reap the benefits of a late-deciding group of elite prospects as Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Winslow left for the NBA. They'll be selected in the first round. This only helped Krzyzewski make up ground for his 2015 class, if he needed to in the first place.

Plus: Allen's coming back. And last week, Duke landed its future point guard in Derryck Thornton. And now the Ingram commitment. This gives Duke the top recruiting class in the nation for the second straight season. It's possible to make the argument Krzyzewski -- who by the way is still the coach of Team USA -- has never had it going more for himself in a professional sense than right here, right now."

Duke95
04-27-2015, 07:03 PM
You're not going to get any.

Don't hate. Appreciate.

Thanks NYBri and westwall. :)

NancyCarol
04-27-2015, 07:03 PM
I enjoy an IC meltdown as much (maybe even more than) any other person, but wow, some of those comments. I'm a parent, and if I read those responses there is no freaking way I'd let my athlete sign up for a group of rapacious hyena fans like that. They are making some really nasty remarks about a teenager. A real reinforcement that BI and his family made the right decision.

Edouble
04-27-2015, 07:04 PM

Oh, that's a fact. He was the lead man in the Ingram recruitment. Ingram said that he spoke to Capel on the phone daily.

As I said, "This latest incarnation of the Duke staff seems to have things on lock." Capel is a huge contributor.

Duke95
04-27-2015, 07:05 PM
Capel is absolutely amazing. The entire coaching staff has just been tremendous.

elvis14
04-27-2015, 07:09 PM
I enjoy an IC meltdown as much (maybe even more than) any other person, but wow, some of those comments. I'm a parent, and if I read those responses there is no freaking way I'd let my athlete sign up for a group of rapacious hyena fans like that. They are making some really nasty remarks about a teenager. A real reinforcement that BI and his family made the right decision.

I checked out IC today before and after the announcement. In one sense it's pretty comical but it stops being funny after a while. It's just pitiful. The stuff they post about Duke and Coach K is just beyond ridiculous. The pitiful thins is that they really seem to believe it all. Sure, we poke a little fun at Roy and criticize him (often by citing examples of mistakes he makes like hoarding timeouts or sticking his foot in his mouth or throwing his players under the bus) but nothing we say comes close to the hate fueled comments that spew from IC.

I'm really glad that Brandon Ingram is coming to Duke. We have truly reloaded and I'm already looking forward to next season in a big way.

Dukehky
04-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttt

Tatum Giles Smith up next.

Duke95
04-27-2015, 07:16 PM
I checked out IC today before and after the announcement. In one sense it's pretty comical but it stops being funny after a while. It's just pitiful. The stuff they post about Duke and Coach K is just beyond ridiculous. The pitiful thins is that they really seem to believe it all. Sure, we poke a little fun at Roy and criticize him (often by citing examples of mistakes he makes like hoarding timeouts or sticking his foot in his mouth or throwing his players under the bus) but nothing we say comes close to the hate fueled comments that spew from IC.

I'm really glad that Brandon Ingram is coming to Duke. We have truly reloaded and I'm already looking forward to next season in a big way.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that carolinapricelessgem poster is trolling that board. Most of them haven't realized it yet.

miramar
04-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Scout is reporting that Capel was talking to him every day. Well done.

1999ballboy
04-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Ingram is the first major small-town NC recruit that Duke has landed since... David Henderson? Someone help me out here. I can't think of many at all. It's very rare that we beat out UNC and NCSU for a kid from somewhere like Kinston. Great job by our staff to land Thornton and now Ingram. Suddenly we're looking quite formidable next year!

GGLC
04-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Welcome, Brandon! You're really gonna like it here.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Welcome Brandon - look forward to watching you in a beautiful blue next year.

Is it my imagination - or are we doing what Calipari wishes he was doing?

brevity
04-27-2015, 07:21 PM
One thing you have to keep in mind is that carolinapricelessgem poster is trolling that board. Most of them haven't realized it yet.

An outsider trolling a fan board, hiding behind a friendly handle? You don't say...

Troublemaker
04-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Might I add that I appreciate you announcing for Duke within like 20 seconds of approaching the mic.

I was just thinking. Since Brandon grew up a Duke fan, he was probably as annoyed as any of us by Harrison Barnes' and Tony Parker's press conferences.

Henderson
04-27-2015, 07:25 PM

Good for you!

jimsumner
04-27-2015, 07:26 PM
Ingram is the first major small-town NC recruit that Duke has landed since... David Henderson? Someone help me out here. I can't think of many at all. It's very rare that we beat out UNC and NCSU for a kid from somewhere like Kinston. Great job by our staff to land Thornton and now Ingram. Suddenly we're looking quite formidable next year!

Define small-town. Kevin Strickland was from Mount Airy. I think that qualifies. Robert Brickey and Jeff Capel from Fayetteville. Small town if you're from NYC. Around these parts, no.

The Plumlees prepped in Arden but are from Indiana.

More important to my mind is that he is the first Duke recruit from a North Carolina public high school since Shavlik Randolph (Raleigh Broughton).

RE: IC. Some really bizarre stuff there. I'm still scratching my head around the idea that Duke recruited Ingram to set screens for Matt Jones. I simply have no idea why anyone would think Duke wants a 6-9, 195 pound 5-star wing to set screens.

Because, gosh darnit, Krzyzewski just hasn't quite figured out to use versatile, multi-position players.

Most curious.

Duke95
04-27-2015, 07:27 PM
An outsider trolling a fan board, hiding behind a friendly handle? You don't say...

You are the soul of wit. Or is it the sole? ;)

Duke95
04-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Good for you!

No, it's not me. I can't spend that kind of time on IC Plus, I've been banned from there a few times. :)

theschwartz
04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
No, it's not me. I can't spend that kind of time on IC Plus, I've been banned from there a few times. :)

CarolinaPricelessGem has given me almost as much joy & levity in the post-announcement glow as Ingram's announcement itself. Just look at this "priceless gem":

"I agree 100%. I think, and I honestly believe this from the bottom of my Carolina-blue heart, that DEAN is looking out for us in giving this kid over to k-rat and Derm. Honestly, he’s not early as good as the rankings have suggested in the past year or so and I think he’ll be a bust. All you have to do is look at his weight and frame. I could be wrong, but I just am not that impressed."

devildeac
04-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Scout is reporting that Capel was talking to him every day. Well done.

Wonder how this would have turned out if Capel had headed to ASU.

Nah, not even going to discuss it any more.

Fabulous job by K and his coaches.

Henderson
04-27-2015, 07:38 PM

And yet you strangely know so much about one individual IC poster.

Duke95
04-27-2015, 07:42 PM
And yet you strangely know so much about one individual IC poster.

I'm going to tell you a secret, but don't tell anyone, ok?
There's another Duke board called TDD. They talk about stuff like this there.

Mum's the word.

NashvilleDevil
04-27-2015, 07:42 PM

Don't worry, I'll thank myself for calling it a couple of weeks ago and not changing course midstream saying it was a reverse jinx ploy all along. You're like Lex Luthor after Zod falls into Superman's trap only you're not nearly as entertaining as Gene Hackman or Terrence Stamp for that matter.

Henderson
04-27-2015, 07:45 PM
I'm going to tell you a secret, but don't tell anyone, ok?
There's another Duke board called TDD. They talk about stuff like this there.

Mum's the word.

The secret's good with me, CPG. Roll on with whatever you are doing.

Olympic Fan
04-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Reading the rival boards is priceless ... especially Idiot's Central, but also Pack Pride, where several NC State fans (their fan base is usually a little more rational, except with their blind spot over officiating conspiracies) are still hung up on losing Amile Jefferson three years ago. The Kentucky boards are taking the Ingram announcement better, but they are even more nuts -- ran across a post yesterday when a poster said "If we get Diallo, Murray and either Ingram or Brown we'll be the favorite to win the national title for the third straight year" (I guess I missed their last two titles). Today, there was a thread boasting about how their current roster, without any additions, is still the most talented in the country.

As for the Duke boards, all I can say is that many of you guys are underestimating this kid ... I guess because he's so skinny. But he's tremendously skilled, with almost the same wingspan as Okafor. A year ago at this time, many Duke fans watched Tyus Jones in all-star games and in film clips and still thought he'd come off the bench. I'm telling you, Ingram is going to be one of our key players next season. He's going to start and he's going to see major minutes at the 3 AND at the 4 (obviously a few fours around the ACC that could overpower him ... but not as many as you think. Even UNC PF Brice Johnson is no muscle man. When he does face an overpowering 4, he'll play 3).

Duke95
04-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Reading the rival boards is priceless ... especially Idiot's Central, but also Pack Pride, where several NC State fans (their fan base is usually a little more rational, except with their blind spot over officiating conspiracies) are still hung up on losing Amile Jefferson three years ago. The Kentucky boards are taking the Ingram announcement better, but they are even more nuts -- ran across a post yesterday when a poster said "If we get Diallo, Murray and either Ingram or Brown we'll be the favorite to win the national title for the third straight year" (I guess I missed their last two titles). Today, there was a thread boasting about how their current roster, without any additions, is still the most talented in the country.

As for the Duke boards, all I can say is that many of you guys are underestimating this kid ... I guess because he's so skinny. But he's tremendously skilled, with almost the same wingspan as Okafor. A year ago at this time, many Duke fans watched Tyus Jones in all-star games and in film clips and still thought he'd come off the bench. I'm telling you, Ingram is going to be one of our key players next season. He's going to start and he's going to see major minutes at the 3 AND at the 4 (obviously a few fours around the ACC that could overpower him ... but not as many as you think. Even UNC PF Brice Johnson is no muscle man. When he does face an overpowering 4, he'll play 3).

Certainly hope you are 100% correct. I wonder how much the 30 second shot clock will help a more mobile player like Ingram.

jimsumner
04-27-2015, 07:54 PM

But they've been favored to win the last two years. In a universe where an NBA draft can be the best day in school history then surely being favored to win a title is just as good as actually winning one.

Troublemaker
04-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Video of announcement: http://www.wnct.com/story/28907633/brandon-ingram-to-announce-college-choice-monday

"Growing up I was a Duke fan and I love everything about Coach K"

Absolute daggers into any UNC fan who was watching!

johnb
04-27-2015, 08:00 PM

Proust can keep his madeleines, Tolstoy and anna Karenina can have their happy families, McMurtry can focus on Cowboys, I'll forever treasure days like today on inside Carolina.

Duke95
04-27-2015, 08:01 PM
National Championship - check
Swept UNC - check
Best recruiting class again - check
Tim Cook trolling UNC at Apple event - check

dbcooper
04-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Mr. Ingram you join a long list of two syllable first and last name stars who's names have been chanted by all the Cameron Crazies!

Just after you make a spectacular Allie Oop, Block or Play - All of Cameron will Chant your name..... Bran-Don Ing-Ram.....!

Ask Bob-By Hur-Ley, Car-Men Wall-Ace just to name a couple...

You just made the best decision of your life young man! Your Fans will love you and Duke will love you.

Go Duke!

DB ---E

johnb
04-27-2015, 08:04 PM

I don't recall anyone thinking tyus would come off the bench, though there was some debate about what to do with Quinn and tyus. This year, Thornton was a crucial domino for recruiting our likely best player, (Ingram!) though either would have come if we hadn't gotten our earlier guys. wow!

subzero02
04-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Dunleavy was a super skinny freshman and he was great before being sidelined with mono... I expect big things from Ingram. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches evey night from here on out.

Henderson
04-27-2015, 08:09 PM
I don't recall anyone thinking tyus would come off the bench, though there was some debate about what to do with Quinn and tyus.

I think there was actually a poll on the respective roles of Tyus and Quinn. And IIRC, there was a sizeable minority that said they thought Quinn would start and Tyus would be the backup. Or maybe it was just a thread. Anyway, there was that view expressed.

NashvilleDevil
04-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Dunleavy was a super skinny freshman and he was great before being sidelined with mono... I expect big things from Ingram. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches evey night from here on out.

What was DeNiro's eating regimen during Untouchables? That's what the young man needs to start doing.

subzero02
04-27-2015, 08:10 PM
I don't recall anyone thinking tyus would come off the bench, though there was some debate about what to do with Quinn and tyus. This year, Thornton was a crucial domino for recruiting our likely best player, (Ingram!) though either would have come if we hadn't gotten our earlier guys. wow!

Before a quote from Capel that said both Tyus and Quinn would start, many felt our starting backcourt could be Rasheed and Cook. It was definitely not assumed by all that Tyus would be a starter this time last year.

Duke95
04-27-2015, 08:12 PM
The secret's good with me, CPG. Roll on with whatever you are doing.

Sweet, thanks! You're my favorite poster. Don't tell Nashville though. I don't want to hurt his feelings.

TKG
04-27-2015, 08:17 PM

There is actually a thread on the Kentucky site that claims K was in OKC today interviewing for the Thunder job; complete with references to a secret meeting between K and KD regarding KD's pending free agency.

_Gary
04-27-2015, 08:21 PM
It was definitely not assumed by all that Tyus would be a starter this time last year.

It was assumed by me. But I got this one wrong (and couldn't be happier), so there you go.

Welcome to Duke, Mr. Ingram!

Henderson
04-27-2015, 08:21 PM
There is actually a thread on the Kentucky site that claims K was in OKC today interviewing for the Thunder job; complete with references to a secret meeting between K and KD regarding KD's pending free agency.

When someone reports on the internet a secret meeting that took place earlier that day, they are wrong 100% of the time.

jimsumner
04-27-2015, 08:22 PM

Sounds like a vigil to me. :)

weezie
04-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Proust can keep his madeleines, Tolstoy and anna Karenina can have their happy families, McMurtry can focus on Cowboys, I'll forever treasure days like today on inside Carolina.

In Search of Lost Dumbells, I think that was the translation.

Wander
04-27-2015, 08:26 PM
But they've been favored to win the last two years. In a universe where an NBA draft can be the best day in school history then surely being favored to win a title is just as good as actually winning one.

The Kentucky fanbase is also likely correct that they'd be the favorite at the start of the season if they had another big recruit or two.

Merlindevildog91
04-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Certainly hope you are 100% correct. I wonder how much the 30 second shot clock will help a more mobile player like Ingram.

Funny you should mention the shot clock. I went over to IC for some post-announcement humor, and the 30 second shot clock is their good news to balance out the bad news of losing Ingram. In their sheep-blue-tinted world, an experienced team such as theirs will be in better shape than young ones such as ours.

The logic escapes me.

MarkD83
04-27-2015, 08:28 PM

Since Coach K has great relationships with all of the players he coached, it would not surprise me if he were in OKC talking to KD about his pending free agency. However, he would be doing this in his capacity as a respected mentor rather than a future coach.

Edouble
04-27-2015, 08:28 PM
What was DeNiro's eating regimen during Untouchables? That's what the young man needs to start doing.

Lord, no! We don't want him looking like Sean May... we want him looking like Winslow. The Cape Fear De Niro diet and workout regimen would be most appropriate!

OldPhiKap
04-27-2015, 08:29 PM

If only a bakery gave out banners for such things.

yancem
04-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Welcome to Duke Brandon Ingram! I've held back about posting about his game until now. I'm very excited about his potential role on the team. He's a tall, loooooooong wing. He's best known for his shooting, but I'm more intrigued by his potential impact on the defensive end. Most highlight clips show a player's offense. A lot of Ingram showed him blocking shots. In the Nike Hoops Challenge, in particular, that defensive presence showed up in his ability to get in passing lanes and strip the ball. Between Grayson Allen, Matt Jones, Amile Jefferson, Marshall Plumlee, and now Ingram, we have some real defensive weapons that will be able to generate easy buckets.

At 6'9" tall and 195 lbs, Ingram has a wingspan of 7'3". His arms extend out nearly as far as Jahlil Okafor's!

A lot of people I've seen on DBR and elsewhere say that Ingram might see time at the PF spot. I just don't see it. First, I don't think K ascribes to that 1-5 defined role philosophy. Ingram is going to float out on the perimeter on offense, in my opinion. That would leave only one person in the post, someone like Jefferson, Plumlee, Jeter, or Obi. To my knowledge, none of those guys are proven back-to-the-basket type post players. Having Okafor allowed Winslow to fill that undersized forward role. Without Okafor, I see Duke going with a frontcourt of Jefferson or Jeter as a forward opposite Plumlee, Obi, or Vrankovic on occasion. Jeter has the size and skills to also play the high or low post, but he's not going to be much of a primary scorer out of the gate. That leaves Ingram on the wings with a combination of talented guards. The team is going to be led by those perimeter players. I'm excited to see how they look!

I'm one of the people that think that he will see a sizable amount of time at the 4. This is a new ballislife mix tape: http://ballislife.com/brandon-ingram-mixtape/ He has some great post and face moves and has excellent timing when going up for the block. I know that a lot of people have compared him to Durant (mainly because of the skinny factor) but in this video he reminds me more of Anthony Davis. He obviously needs to put on some weight but he seems to have great defensive instincts.

This. He seems to be coming on strong going into his freshman season and I think he is only going to improve. While he may get pushed around a little by some PF's not many will be able to handle his quickness and perimeter skills. I think it will usually be a trade off in out favor.

Duke95
UNC fans are convinced they will be the favorites to win it all. Now they're in the process of convincing themselves that the new 30 second shot clock would make them even better and makes up for losing Ingram.
Edit: merlin already beat me to it.

I saw that Ingram mix tape. Very impressive, but hard to get a lot out of that. He's playing against shorter players. Seems to have a great handle though.

MarkD83
Funny you should mention the shot clock. I went over to IC for some post-announcement humor, and the 30 second shot clock is their good news to balance out the bad news of losing Ingram. In their sheep-blue-tinted world, an experienced team such as theirs will be in better shape than young ones such as ours.

The logic escapes me.

This makes perfect sense. Roy's claim to fame when his team is having trouble is to wave them down the court and go faster, which means more turnovers. With a shorter clock they will get the ball back faster after their turnovers.

weezie
04-27-2015, 08:34 PM
If only a bakery gave out banners for such things.

:D:D:D:D

A bakery....

Neals384
04-27-2015, 08:43 PM
And that trusty blue McDonalds is still open 24/7. Miss those 2am McFlurries.

I'm legit worried about his health next year ... needs to add some good weight! Especially in the lower body, gotta protect those joints man!

With all the confusion on the recruiting thread about which is the best BarBQue in Kinston is best, it's not surprising BI is on the thin side. ;)

No, no, I heard Coach K was in Kinston today, checking out the BarBQue places to see what they're doing wrong. He'll make sure BI gets some real Caroline 'Cue at Duke; that'll put some meat on them bones!

duke blue brewcrew
04-27-2015, 08:46 PM
I don't know if this poster is trolling or an actuall level headed UNC fan, but it's a solid comment!

UNCTarheel1984 wrote:
"All you guys suddenly talking crap and hating Ingram are sacks of rancid puss. Ingram is the same kid he was yesterday when you were sniffing his jock. He made the best move for him given his short-term goals. Duke is the defending NCAA champion and has four open starting slots. They have guaranteed playing time for Ingram that UNC didn't. Get over it."

kingboozer
04-27-2015, 08:52 PM
I don't know if this poster is trolling or an actuall level headed UNC fan, but it's a solid comment!

UNCTarheel1984 wrote:
"All you guys suddenly talking crap and hating Ingram are sacks of rancid puss. Ingram is the same kid he was yesterday when you were sniffing his jock. He made the best move for him given his short-term goals. Duke is the defending NCAA champion and has four open starting slots. They have guaranteed playing time for Ingram that UNC didn't. Get over it."

If there was ever a 'mic drop' comment on IC, this would have to be it.

duke blue brewcrew
04-27-2015, 09:00 PM
If there was ever a 'mic drop' comment on IC, this would have to be it.

Oh I absolutely agree. It's amazing some of the stuff being said on that board. That comment was a breath of fresh air is a sea of stupidity.

BD80
04-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Welcome Brandon - you are joining the Duke B-ball family at any especially sweet juncture, "... This gives Duke the top recruiting class in the nation for the second straight season. It's possible to make the argument Krzyzewski -- who by the way is still the coach of Team USA -- has never had it going more for himself in a professional sense than right here, right now."

With a big leg up on perhaps the best recruiting haul of them all next year

... Tatum Giles Smith up next.

And Battle

... Is it my imagination - or are we doing what Calipari wishes he was doing?

Think of the pressure cal is under right now Diallio and Brown are soon to announce, and if he whiffs, ouch. Those guys might need restraining orders to keep cal from hounding them 24/7 until they announce

I was just thinking. Since Brandon grew up a Duke fan, he was probably as annoyed as any of us by ... Tony Parker's press conference.

He was 3 when it started, 14 when it ended (it did end didn't it?)

... I expect big things from Ingram. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every night from here on out.

Every HOUR

Elvis was there, so it wasn't much of a secret.

jimsumner
04-27-2015, 09:11 PM
I haven't watched a McDonald's All-Star game in years and mix-tapes are too selective to give a complete picture.

But I love the Nike Hoops Summit. That's a real game, with real coaching, real teamwork and guys that really want to win for their team. They share the ball and even play defense.

And Luke Kennard and Brandon Ingram might have been the two best Americans this year, certainly two of the four or five best. Both looked very much ready for prime time.

I first heard the expression "they don't rebuild, they reload" about Texas football in the 1960s. But it seems apropos here.

Think about this. It's still April. Duke won the NCAA title earlier this month. Three short but eventful weeks ago. Since that, in the same month, Duke has had three players declare for the draft and subsequently signed three additional players.

Interesting times indeed.

wsb3
04-27-2015, 09:13 PM

UNCTarheel1984 wrote:

Have to give this guy credit as well from IC, though later someone commented to his post that there was no way Roy knew about the scandal.

GoldenRaptor

Re: Don't blame Roy, blame NCAA
7:39 PM

A few thoughts:

1. Yes, the scandal is hurting.

2. Why are some of you acting like that isn't our fault? The NCAA didn't commit the crimes we did. And it isn't like Roy is entirely inheriting the mess of another former coach or something, he and his people were in charge for a long time before the scandalous behavior got cleaned up. We can't know exactly what they knew about it and when, but ultimately the responsibility to run things the right way falls on them. And that includes making sure the academics are straight.

3. There are other problems that are probably hurting recruiting too. An old fashioned system and a trend of having elite players underachieve or stay in school longer than elsewhere can't help.

FerryFor50
04-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Ingram committing is great on so many levels.

- He fills an immediate need at forward and has potential to play the point to boot
- He's #3 in the class and gives Duke the #1 recruiting class again (for now)
- He and his dad seem like real good people
- UNC *really* wanted him. Like, since 8th grade wanted him. It's like watching the girl you liked since 8th grade go to senior prom with your bully.
- This breaks the Kinston-UNC pipeline. Finally.
- This legitimizes the UNC scandal even more. Even if the NCAA doesn't come down on them, it's hurt their brand and their recruiting

g-money
04-27-2015, 09:20 PM

Welcome to Duke Brandon! 'PB&J by night, Coach Nate in the weight room by day' will help you get ready for the Virginia game next year.

Trey21
04-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Wow, what a fabulous month to be a Duke fan.

Second year in a row with the top recruiting class in the nation. I'm not gonna compare or expect the same results as last years class, (I still don't think we've come to realize just how special the 2014-2015 season was) but I'm really really excited for next years team. Jeter and Kennard is an exciting pair and will be outstanding players no doubt, but I love that we could grab a athletic PG and 3/4 scorer/defender in Thornton and Ingram. Having elite players at those positions is essential for success. Really happy we could grab a local NC kid as well. With Robinson and Vrankovic joining this has to be one of the best classes ever, and potentially the strongest back to back recruiting class combo ever at Duke.

Really like this kid's game. Long, got a nice shot, solid athlete, and a pretty decent defender. Duke was known as the lean for a while but I couldn't help but think that he'd go else where, so glad I was proven wrong because he is exactly the type of player that the 2015-2016 roster needed.

I was excited for where the team was going next year, but I thought there would be some serious growing pains. I'm not saying there won't be next year but we will have abundance elite talent and we'll be very very long. An extremely intriguing roster. Can't wait to se this team evolve.

Glad to have you onboard Brandon!

jipops
04-27-2015, 09:36 PM

The logic escapes me.

Well it does give Roy less time to mismanage possessions in end-of-game scenarios.

heyman25
04-27-2015, 09:43 PM
I haven't seen him play, but at a party with a State fan.He asked is like Winslow and I replied his physique is like Reggie Miller. That would be great if he can shoot like Reggie!

jipops
04-27-2015, 09:48 PM

UNCTarheel1984 wrote:

I think the unc fans' disappointment has much more to do both losing a player to Duke and the undertones of missing out on another top 10 talent than simply missing out on a recruit. Ingram was not going to fill some roster void for them, they already have at least 2 guys to fill a similar role. They are completely set for '15-'16 and should be title contenders. And given that his goal is to be out in one year he wouldn't have been stepping into a slot for the '16-'17 season.

Given the cloud of scandal over them it seems it would have made more sense to go after players in the 20-50 range that can start filling out their roster after next season. These would potentially be kids that are ecstatic to be recruited by a program like unc and willing to deal with the scandal risk, much like the UK team of the early 90's. But then again, I haven't followed their recruiting. Maybe this has been part of unc's strategy all along, or maybe their strategy has been denial of issues at hand... who knows?

Duke95
04-27-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm seeing names like Kevin Durant, Reggie Miller, etc. being dropped around. I hope that Brandon becomes a superstar in the NBA, but let's not heap unreasonable expectations on him. It'll just be exciting to watch him grow and develop in a Duke uniform and beyond.

Dukehky
04-27-2015, 10:15 PM
I'm seeing names like Kevin Durant, Reggie Miller, etc. being dropped around. I hope that Brandon becomes a superstar in the NBA, but let's not heap unreasonable expectations on him. It'll just be exciting to watch him grow and develop in a Duke uniform and beyond.

This is a great class, but people need to be very cognizant of the fact that last year's class was probably the best freshman class in history (maybe 2012 UK, more as well). I would be shocked if any of 2015 kids are as good as any of our big 3 last year. Don't expect it.

With all the youth and new responsibilities for returners, we just have to be aware that the 2014-2015 season isn't likely to be repeated. We are going to lose close games. Thornton is going to make mistakes where Tyus didn't. We are going to have trouble getting an easy bucket sometimes where Jah would have just bullied his way into a layup. Amile won't be on the court to lead by example like Quinn was ALL THE TIME. We're going to be in a good position to compete for titles this year, and since CBB is weak all the way around, maybe we win a few of the earlier ones (Can't ever predict a national title, takes too much to happen).

Gonna be a more exciting year, with way more upside now that we have Thornton and Ingram, but they are NOT justise and tyus (no one is, has been, or will ever be, Jahlil Okafor).

I'm really excited, probably more than anything, to see what K's game plan is with this roster. Gonna be one hell of a ride.

weezie
04-27-2015, 10:24 PM
UNCTarheel1984 wrote:

Eloquent and colorful. Poetic even.
Can I spork this hole?

dukelifer
04-27-2015, 10:26 PM

In every video I have seen- the kid never misses. He is clearly the best player of all time ;)

dukelifer
04-27-2015, 10:28 PM
This is a great class, but people need to be very cognizant of the fact that last year's class was probably the best freshman class in history (maybe 2012 UK, more as well). I would be shocked if any of 2015 kids are as good as any of our big 3 last year. Don't expect it.

With all the youth and new responsibilities for returners, we just have to be aware that the 2014-2015 season isn't likely to be repeated. We are going to lose close games. Thornton is going to make mistakes where Tyus didn't. We are going to have trouble getting an easy bucket sometimes where Jah would have just bullied his way into a layup. Amile won't be on the court to lead by example like Quinn was ALL THE TIME. We're going to be in a good position to compete for titles this year, and since CBB is weak all the way around, maybe we win a few of the earlier ones (Can't ever predict a national title, takes too much to happen).

Gonna be a more exciting year, with way more upside now that we have Thornton and Ingram, but they are NOT justise and tyus (no one is, has been, or will ever be, Jahlil Okafor).

I'm really excited, probably more than anything, to see what K's game plan is with this roster. Gonna be one hell of a ride.

Duke may not be better than this past year but are certainly much better than Duke was two weeks ago.

NYBri
04-27-2015, 10:30 PM
Let's not forget the wildcard...this past year we had the "best captain ever." Next year, who plays QC?

Troublemaker
04-27-2015, 10:33 PM
I think the unc fans' disappointment has much more to do both losing a player to Duke and the undertones of missing out on another top 10 talent than simply missing out on a recruit. Ingram was not going to fill some roster void for them, they already have at least 2 guys to fill a similar role. They are completely set for '15-'16 and should be title contenders. And given that his goal is to be out in one year he wouldn't have been stepping into a slot for the '16-'17 season.

One additional reason this recruitment really hurts UNC fans (besides losing a Kinston kid to Duke) is because they realize they just lost a great 3-yr-player for them. Don't get me wrong, Brandon will likely be OAD at Duke, but at UNC, Roy Williams is OAD poison. Top 10 kids go there and stay until they collect social security. It's a weird way to think about it, but whenever UNC goes after a top 10 recruit, they always have much more at stake than the other schools recruiting against them, because they are going after 3-4 years of production vs 1 year of production for the other schools.

You're right that UNC probably didn't really need Brandon for their team next season. But it's missing out on Year 2 and Year 3 (and possibly Year 4) of Brandon that is killing them.

devildeac
04-27-2015, 10:40 PM

UNCTarheel1984 wrote:

Probably immediately got one of these:

UrinalCake
04-27-2015, 10:42 PM

They mentioned this on the Gold and Ovies show today. K was in OKC to take a look at a 2017 prospect. I can't remember his name. Someone spotted him at a Starbucks or something and tweeted it out, and all of a sudden rumors started flying that he was interviewing for the Thunder position. According to the radio show, he did meet with Durant simply as a friendly get-together to say hello. Obviously they know each other from the National team.

Troublemaker
04-27-2015, 10:47 PM
They mentioned this on the Gold and Ovies show today. K was in OKC to take a look at a 2017 prospect. I can't remember his name. Someone spotted him at a Starbucks or something and tweeted it out, and all of a sudden rumors started flying that he was interviewing for the Thunder position. According to the radio show, he did meet with Durant simply as a friendly get-together to say hello. Obviously they know each other from the National team.

Trae Young, who's from Norman.

For a bit of schadenfreude, here is the UK forum thread about Coach K going to coach the Thunder: http://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/coach-k-to-the-okc-thunder.94539/

They are terrified of what K/Duke are building and would LOVE it if he left for the NBA. Of course, we know the rumor is baseless, but some of them don't.

Henderson
04-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Trae Young, who's from Norman.

Which makes sense. Young played at a Nike AAU event in Lexington this past weekend, and Jeff Capel talked to him and his family there. Now there's reportedly the offer. Makes sense that K would go say hello.

Edouble
04-27-2015, 10:54 PM
I saw that Ingram mix tape. Very impressive, but hard to get a lot out of that. He's playing against shorter players. Seems to have a great handle though.

I didn't see the tape, but Ingram is 6'9" with a 7'4" wingspan. He's going to be taller and longer than most players he goes against in college, at either forward spot.

Troublemaker
04-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Which makes sense. Young played at a Nike AAU event in Lexington this past weekend, and Jeff Capel talked to him and his family there. Now there's reportedly the offer. Makes sense that K would go say hello.

Right, although I think coach-to-player contact is disallowed during this dead period, so Coach K may have been there to meet his high school coach.

If he was there at all. Haven't seen hard confirmation that he was yet.

devildeac
04-27-2015, 10:59 PM
c*rolina fans shouldn't worry too much as they still have a top 100 recruiting class entering this fall:

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

(hint: if you don't see them on page 1, keep scrolling:rolleyes:)

(hint: they're between Fresno State and Buffalo;))

OZ
04-27-2015, 11:01 PM
we have Thornton and Ingram, but they are NOT justise and tyus

No, they are not. They are Thornton and Ingram. I don't know of anyone who is expecting them to be Justise or Tyrus. In fact, this time last year, I wasn't expecting Tyrus and Justise to be whom they became.
Thornton and Ingram are different players with different skill sets. I am excited about the possibilities the future holds for these young men under the tutelage of our coaching staff. Neither has laced up a shoe for Duke yet; so perhaps, it might be wise (before we make any premature predictions) to give them a chance to develop into whom and what they can become.

moonpie23
04-27-2015, 11:07 PM
late to the party, but i've got a decent reason.. :)

Welcome To DUKE MISTER INGRAM!!!!!!

nmduke2001
04-27-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm just noticing that Brandon has several tattoos. Other than Lance, I can't think of many players that had tattoos while playing for Duke.

COYS
04-27-2015, 11:26 PM
I'm just noticing that Brandon has several tattoos. Other than Lance, I can't think of many players that had tattoos while playing for Duke.

Kyrie had at least one, if I'm not mistaken.

OldPhiKap
04-27-2015, 11:30 PM
Carlos had a bunch. Huge bear on his shoulder IIRC.

The first I remember was Greg Newton. Famous story about K throwing him out of a practice, then noting that he bet Greg would go get another tattoo to show how tough he was.

Troublemaker
04-27-2015, 11:30 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/14609223/

WRAL interview with Brandon. Good stuff here.

Talked with Derryck, who's commitment eased his concern about Duke's PG situation.
Relief that all the UNC fans in Kinston still supported him. (Props to Kinston, btw!)
Stackhouse and Bullock didn't really pressure him to go to UNC. Just do what's best for him.

Troublemaker
04-27-2015, 11:45 PM
http://www.highschoolot.com/recruiting/basketball/video/14609065/#/vid14609065

Great interview with his dad here.

Edouble
04-27-2015, 11:46 PM
Carlos had a bunch. Huge bear on his shoulder IIRC.

The first I remember was Greg Newton. Famous story about K throwing him out of a practice, then noting that he bet Greg would go get another tattoo to show how tough he was.

Which he did! You forgot the end of the story! ;)

Along with Carlos and Kyrie, Jason Williams (weird spiral snail thing), Dahntay Jones (the Duke "D"!), Nolan Smith (his father), Nate James (praying hands), Daniel Ewing (can't remember), and Sean Dockery (can't remember) also had tattoos at Duke.

I'm probably forgetting a few...

nmduke2001
04-27-2015, 11:52 PM
Which he did! You forgot the end of the story! ;)

Along with Carlos and Kyrie, Jason Williams (weird spiral snail thing), Dahntay Jones (the Duke "D"!), Nolan Smith (his father), Nate James (praying hands), Daniel Ewing (can't remember), and Sean Dockery (can't remember) also had tattoos at Duke.

I'm probably forgetting a few...

I can't believe I forgot about all of those.

I googled Kyrie and didn't see any pics that showed a tattoo while he was at Duke.

Dre had a small one on his wrist with his sisters DOB and DOD.

subzero02
04-27-2015, 11:59 PM
c*rolina fans shouldn't worry too much as they still have a top 100 recruiting class entering this fall:

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

(hint: if you don't see them on page 1, keep scrolling:rolleyes:)

(hint: they're between Fresno State and Buffalo;))

I haven't made it to the second page yet but the biggest eye opener on page 1 is Bruce Pearl bringing in 3 4-star recruits and the #16 recruiting class.

Steven43
04-28-2015, 12:01 AM

I laughed out loud and simultaneously spit out my drink while reading this comment! Awesome.

neemizzle
04-28-2015, 12:19 AM

I believe it says Philippians 4:13, and that full verse. He tweeted it out a couple of weeks ago I believe, what it said anyway.

I'm late to the party also, but man if it wasn't good to flip over to the local ABC11 here in Durham and see Mr Ingram with that Duke hat on, and then to see his dad with it also made me respect him much more. It's much more than a player signing, as we've seen with other players. It's a family committing also. I feel like that's a part of the college game that you can't replicate in the NBA, this whole recruitment aspect as a teen, and them pick a school with their families.

uh_no
04-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Let's not forget the wildcard...this past year we had the "best captain ever." Next year, who plays QC?

the quote, if i recall, was

"as good as any captain I've ever had"

Ichabod Drain
04-28-2015, 12:46 AM

I don't think anyone should try to fill anyones shoes. This new group next year is going to create it's own identity and I think it's going to be a lot of fun to watch. I'm excited!

Son of Jarhead
04-28-2015, 02:19 AM
2015-16 is shaping up to be another fun ride! ...And, it is also looking a lot like 1999-2000 did after the post '99 mass exodus.

In '99-'00, after losing 6 players (Brand, Avery, & Maggette early to the pros, Burgess to transfer, as well as Langdon & Domzalski to graduation) from the '98-'99 roster, we only had 3 returning scholarship players, Chris Carrawell, Shane Battier, & Nate James, plus Matt Christensen returning from his Mormon mission, as well as a stellar #1 ranked recruiting class of 6: #3 Jason Williams, #8 Carlos Boozer, #26 Mike Dunleavy, #16 Casey Sanders, Nick Horvath, & Andre Buckner.

Next season, '15-'16, after losing 6 players (3: Okafor, Winslow, & TJones early to the pros, Ojeleye to transfer, as well as Sulaimon to dismissal and Quin Cook to graduation) from the '14-'15 roster, we have 4 returning scholarship players, Amile, Marshall, Matt, & Grayson, plus a now eligible transfer is Sean Obi, as well as a stellar #1 ranked recruiting class of 5: #3 Ingram, #11 Jeter, #17 Thornton, #24 Kennard, & Antonio Vrankovic.

In both cases, we end up with 10 scholarship players. Both teams are coming off runs to the title game, '99 losing to UConn-victs and, of course '15 winning the National Championship title. ... Is it just me, or are the parallels uncanny? ...It will be hard for next years team to live up to 2000's, what with CWell turning into the ACC Player of the Year, and with us becoming ACC Champs, earning a #1 seed, and making the Sweet 16, but you never know. I'm looking forward to watching and seeing how the player's individual journeys, and that of the team, turn out. Go Duke!

subzero02
04-28-2015, 03:00 AM
2015-16 is shaping up to be another fun ride! ...And, it is also looking a lot like 1999-2000 did after the post '99 mass exodus.

In '99-'00, after losing 6 players (Brand, Avery, & Maggette early to the pros, Burgess to transfer, as well as Langdon & Domzalski to graduation) from the '98-'99 roster, we only had 3 returning scholarship players, Chris Carrawell, Shane Battier, & Nate James, plus Matt Christensen returning from his Mormon mission, as well as a stellar #1 ranked recruiting class of 6: #3 Jason Williams, #8 Carlos Boozer, #26 Mike Dunleavy, #16 Casey Sanders, Nick Horvath, & Andre Buckner.

Next season, '15-'16, after losing 6 players (3: Okafor, Winslow, & TJones early to the pros, Ojeleye to transfer, as well as Sulaimon to dismissal and Quin Cook to graduation) from the '14-'15 roster, we have 4 returning scholarship players, Amile, Marshall, Matt, & Grayson, plus a now eligible transfer is Sean Obi, as well as a stellar #1 ranked recruiting class of 5: #3 Ingram, #11 Jeter, #17 Thornton, #24 Kennard, & Antonio Vrankovic.

In both cases, we end up with 10 scholarship players. Both teams are coming off runs to the title game, '99 losing to UConn-victs and, of course '15 winning the National Championship title. ... Is it just me, or are the parallels uncanny? ...It will be hard for next years team to live up to 2000's, what with CWell turning into the ACC Player of the Year, and with us becoming ACC Champs, earning a #1 seed, and making the Sweet 16, but you never know. I'm looking forward to watching and seeing how the player's individual journeys, and that of the team, turn out. Go Duke!

Those are some strong parallels. That 99-00 squad started off with 2 losses but went 15-1 in ACC play and won the ACC regular season and tourney titles. If Dunleavy hadn't contracted mono, we might have another final four banner. We lost in the sweet 16 to a Gator team that loved play at a fast pace. Dunleavy was back by then but he wasn't the same player from earlier in the year. I expect the 15-16 squad to have more depth than that 99-00 squad...especially in the post. Boozer's early development was hampered by a broken foot and Christensen was forced to play a larger role than intended.

ice-9
04-28-2015, 03:21 AM
We should guard against expectations that we'll have another year like the last. That freshmen class is special -- you had three top talents who are very close to each other, and whose strengths complemented each other well. Even then it took an extraordinary performance from our fourth freshman to win the championship. Past that, none of it would be possible without Quinn Cook's leadership.

So we had a lot of unique things in place last year that may not apply this year.

Will the freshmen jell well this year? Not just in terms of chemistry but talent too. Thornton isn't a great shooter. Ingram can't bully his way to the basket. Jeter won't score at will in the paint. Kennard will probably surprise us, but he's not considered an elite talent. How will all the pieces fit?

Who will be our leader? Amile Jefferson is an obvious candidate, but does he have the personality and character to be great at it? Will the freshmen look up to him as their leader while on the court? How about Matt Jones?

Can Grayson Allen take the next leap forward, or was his finals performance a flash in the pan?

This team looks better now than it did two weeks ago, but many questions remain, especially offensively.

If I had to guess, I'd say defense would be this team's calling card -- its core identity. You have Jefferson and Jones, two pillars from last year. Thornton has a reputation of being an elite defender. Plumlee can be a force. Obi will swallow up rebounds.

We can be good, but I expect this team to lose a few games early in the season.

NashvilleDevil
04-28-2015, 06:43 AM
We should guard against expectations that we'll have another year like the last. That freshmen class is special -- you had three top talents who are very close to each other, and whose strengths complemented each other well. Even then it took an extraordinary performance from our fourth freshman to win the championship. Past that, none of it would be possible without Quinn Cook's leadership.

So we had a lot of unique things in place last year that may not apply this year.

Will the freshmen jell well this year? Not just in terms of chemistry but talent too. Thornton isn't a great shooter. Ingram can't bully his way to the basket. Jeter won't score at will in the paint. Kennard will probably surprise us, but he's not considered an elite talent. How will all the pieces fit?

Who will be our leader? Amile Jefferson is an obvious candidate, but does he have the personality and character to be great at it? Will the freshmen look up to him as their leader while on the court? How about Matt Jones?

Can Grayson Allen take the next leap forward, or was his finals performance a flash in the pan?

This team looks better now than it did two weeks ago, but many questions remain, especially offensively.

If I had to guess, I'd say defense would be this team's calling card -- its core identity. You have Jefferson and Jones, two pillars from last year. Thornton has a reputation of being an elite defender. Plumlee can be a force. Obi will swallow up rebounds.

And after they lose I expect the same reaction on these boards that there were this year.

duke blue brewcrew
04-28-2015, 07:18 AM
I don't think anyone should try to fill anyones shoes. This new group next year is going to create it's own identity and I think it's going to be a lot of fun to watch. I'm excited!

I believe this to be one of Coach K's strengths. Compartmentalize the past & the present. Each season, each team has it's own identity and their own opportunities. I like this team that's coming in, there's tons of talent an depth from top to bottom. They will be a very different team than '15, and that's fine. Coach K will help guide the way, he's a great leader of young men.

duncnoah
04-28-2015, 07:37 AM

I would not be surprised if we are playing our best ball early in the season. That is normally a K strength. Figure out the best way to play and use each piece of the puzzle and do it. What may hurt is later when teams have a lot of data on us and can make us play to a weakness. Utah in the tourny I think, said they were gonna make Winslow beat them from 3 etc...
...and they would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky kids!

Duke3517
04-28-2015, 09:52 AM

Experience really matters though and Duke has a reigning national title team and returns Allen, Jones, Jefferson, and Plumlee. Congratulations to Brandon Ingram, he is coming to an elite academic school that will more than likely get his game prepared for the NBA level.

BD80
04-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Adam Rowe BlueDevilLair reporting that Ingram signed and sent his LOI on Thursday.

Good for the staff that they preserved his moment. Glad Brandon called other coaches before the announcement.

Brandon and his family seem to be first class additions to the Duke family.

Henderson
04-28-2015, 10:07 AM
http://www.highschoolot.com/recruiting/basketball/video/14609065/#/vid14609065

Great interview with his dad here.

Good link. Thanks. Worth spending time to view it.

I particularly enjoyed his comments about fans who said BI should go here or there without having ever attended the recommended school or met that team's coach. Nice comment too at the end about burning up the highway between Kinston and Durham. Paraphrasing: "I'll go back and check my work schedule then put in the paperwork so I can plan my trips."

sagegrouse
04-28-2015, 10:12 AM

Well, there was Greg Newton.

wsb3
04-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Adam Rowe BlueDevilLair reporting that Ingram signed and sent his LOI on Thursday.

Good for the staff that they preserved his moment. Glad Brandon called other coaches before the announcement.

Sure that is great but what about the added days of endless gnashing of teeth...nerves shot..posters being short with each other and some who already had him dressed in that hideous shade of light blue. We could have been spared days of nervous tension and you say it is a good just for doing the right thing..Good grief..Man..What are you thinking?? :rolleyes:

Indoor66
04-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Define small-town. Kevin Strickland was from Mount Airy. I think that qualifies. Robert Brickey and Jeff Capel from Fayetteville. Small town if you're from NYC. Around these parts, no.

The Plumlees prepped in Arden but are from Indiana.

More important to my mind is that he is the first Duke recruit from a North Carolina public high school since Shavlik Randolph (Raleigh Broughton).

RE: IC. Some really bizarre stuff there. I'm still scratching my head around the idea that Duke recruited Ingram to set screens for Matt Jones. I simply have no idea why anyone would think Duke wants a 6-9, 195 pound 5-star wing to set screens.

Because, gosh darnit, Krzyzewski just hasn't quite figured out to use versatile, multi-position players.

Most curious.

Kenny Dennard was from King, NC (that's between Rural Hall and Pinnacle on Old NC 52).

FerryFor50
04-28-2015, 10:23 AM

Then there's this guy. I can't imagine that he didn't have at least *one* tattoo while at Duke.

https://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/cherokee-parks-ncaa.jpg

Indoor66
04-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Sounds like a vigil to me. :)

Nah, with K's stated position on the subject, it only rises to the level of a Watch. :cool:

jimsumner
04-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Then there's this guy. I can't imagine that he didn't have at least *one* tattoo while at Duke.

https://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/cherokee-parks-ncaa.jpg

I've always said that Parks went into a tattoo parlor, couldn't decide and just told them to give him one of everything.

DukieInKansas
04-28-2015, 11:01 AM

I believe JJ Redick had a few, also. Didn't he get one with his grandmother?

Here's a link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2339265

miramar
04-28-2015, 11:02 AM
One additional reason this recruitment really hurts UNC fans (besides losing a Kinston kid to Duke) is because they realize they just lost a great 3-yr-player for them. Don't get me wrong, Brandon will likely be OAD at Duke, but at UNC, Roy Williams is OAD poison. Top 10 kids go there and stay until they collect social security. It's a weird way to think about it, but whenever UNC goes after a top 10 recruit, they always have much more at stake than the other schools recruiting against them, because they are going after 3-4 years of production vs 1 year of production for the other schools.

You're right that UNC probably didn't really need Brandon for their team next season. But it's missing out on Year 2 and Year 3 (and possibly Year 4) of Brandon that is killing them.

We all remember the narrative that Coach K was spending too much time with Team USA, so Duke seemed to be the perennial second choice for players such as Patrick Patterson, Greg Monroe, Greg Echenique, John Wall, Kenny Boynton, and Harrison Barnes. With Tony Parker it was even worse, as Duke started as the apparent favorite and in the end wasn’t even in the running.

Now the narrative is that UNC doesn’t develop its players, which may have started in 2010 when Harrison Barnes was the number #1 recruit and Kyrie Irving was #2. As it turns out, the second coming of Michael Jordan is scoring 10 PPG in the NBA, while the guy who many people thought of as a distant second is scoring 22 PPG.

UNC seems to be the anti-Kentucky as far as One and Dones are concerned, so since 2011 Duke has gotten five top-ten recruits (four of them in the top five), while UNC has gotten just two (none in the top five). Any player outside of the top ten is going to have to play for three or four years unless his name is Justise Winslow, and I don't see anybody like that on the wrong side of the 15-501.

Here are the RSCI top-ten players recruited by Duke and UNC over the last five seasons, which makes me feel slightly sorry for the guys on IC. But I'll get over it:

Duke: #2 Austin Rivers (#10 pick in the NBA draft)
UNC: #6 James Michael McAdoo (undrafted after three years, played 15 games with Golden State this season and the rest in the D-League)

2012: None

2013:
Duke: #3 Jabari Parker (#2 player selected in the draft)
UNC: None

2014:
Duke: #1 Jahlil Okafor, #7 Tyus Jones (both certain first round draft choices)
UNC: #9 Justin Jackson (10.7 PPG, will return next year)

2015:
Duke: #3 Brandon Ingram (one and done?)

FerryFor50
04-28-2015, 11:14 AM
UNC: #6 James Michael McAdoo (undrafted after three years, played 15 games with Golden State this season and the rest in the D-League)

I do believe you are discounting the recruiting power of a D-League championship. :cool:

tux
04-28-2015, 11:45 AM
We all remember the narrative that Coach K was spending too much time with Team USA, so Duke seemed to be the perennial second choice for players such as Patrick Patterson, Greg Monroe, Greg Echenique, John Wall, Kenny Boynton, and Harrison Barnes. With Tony Parker it was even worse, as Duke started as the apparent favorite and in the end wasn’t even in the running.

Now the narrative is that UNC doesn’t develop its players, which may have started in 2010 when Harrison Barnes was the number #1 recruit and Kyrie Irving was #2. As it turns out, the second coming of Michael Jordan is scoring 10 PPG in the NBA, while the guy who many people thought of as a distant second is scoring 22 PPG.

UNC seems to be the anti-Kentucky as far as One and Dones are concerned, so since 2011 Duke has gotten five top-ten recruits (four of them in the top five), while UNC has gotten just two (none in the top five). Any player outside of the top ten is going to have to play for three or four years unless his name is Justise Winslow, and I don't see anybody like that on the wrong side of the 15-501.

Here are the RSCI top-ten players recruited by Duke and UNC over the last five seasons, which makes me feel slightly sorry for the guys on IC. But I'll get over it:

2012: None

2013:
Duke: #3 Jabari Parker (#2 player selected in the draft)

2014:
Duke: #1 Jahlil Okafor, #7 Tyus Jones (both certain first round draft choices)
UNC: #9 Justin Jackson (10.7 PPG, will return next year)

2015:
Duke: #3 Brandon Ingram (one and done?)

Recruiting is more art than science, and also involves a great deal of luck. Things can turn on a dime, so we should not tempt the basketball gods by piling on too much. I remember rejoicing when Shav and McRoberts picked Duke; the later was considered a bigger get than Hansborough, who ended up achieving a great deal more at UNC. Hard to predict this stuff...

That said: It is amazing how hypocritical folks can be. UNC fans now accusing K of running some sort of OAD factory, where academics are given short shrift in favor of winning at all costs. Setting aside whether anyone at UNC should ever criticize another institution's academic record, 15 years ago those same folks accused K of being so selfish he manipulated kids into staying in school too long. Now, the lack of NBA success at UNC is somehow a sign of their virtue.

CDu
04-28-2015, 11:52 AM
That said: It is amazing how hypocritical folks can be. UNC fans now accusing K of running some sort of OAD factory, where academics are given short shrift in favor of winning at all costs. Setting aside whether anyone at UNC should ever criticize another institution's academic record, 15 years ago those same folks accused K of being so selfish he manipulated kids into staying in school too long. Now, the lack of NBA success at UNC is somehow a sign of their virtue.

I agree with your sentiment in this post, although to be fair I think that is true of all fanbases as a collective. You could certainly say the same thing about Duke fans re: Kentucky. Prior to very recently, many despised Calipari's one-and-done factory. But now the fanbase seems quite okay with one-and-dones and are lauding Coach K's adaptive ability.

In general, the fanbase is going to laud whatever puts their program in the best light. Back when Coach K was exclusively a 3-4 year player coach, Duke fans held to the "we believe in building a program and having guys who develop over 3-4 years rather than the one-and-done types" mantra. Now that we're fully invested in the one-and-done model, its "Coach K is amazing at building bonds with these guys for just one season, and re-inventing the team each year after the turnover!"

It cuts both ways.

_Gary
04-28-2015, 12:00 PM
I agree with your sentiment in this post, although to be fair I think that is true of all fanbases as a collective. You could certainly say the same thing about Duke fans re: Kentucky. Prior to very recently, many despised Calipari's one-and-done factory. But now the fanbase seems quite okay with one-and-dones and are lauding Coach K's adaptive ability.

In general, the fanbase is going to laud whatever puts their program in the best light. Back when Coach K was exclusively a 3-4 year player coach, Duke fans held to the "we believe in building a program and having guys who develop over 3-4 years rather than the one-and-done types" mantra. Now that we're fully invested in the one-and-done model, its "Coach K is amazing at building bonds with these guys for just one season, and re-inventing the team each year after the turnover!"

It cuts both ways.

Agree and disagree. It's definitely true that every fan base wears ______ - colored glasses when it comes to their particular team. No doubt about it. And as biased beings we will always tend to make excuses for our team while ripping other teams for similar situations. That's just human nature.

But I disagree, in this instance, because I don't see evidence that Duke is engaging in the same type of one-and-done recruitment that other institutions have engaged in when it comes to specifically targeting kids that can't cut it at all academically. The day we have the cloud hanging over us that UNC has now, or the lesser one that Calipari has, then I'll agree with you completely. Until then, I think there is a difference, and I believe the original poster has a valid point about hypocrisy.

DukeHLM'13
04-28-2015, 12:14 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/14609223/

WRAL interview with Brandon. Good stuff here.

Talked with Derryck, who's commitment eased his concern about Duke's PG situation.

Interesting that Ingram didn't say that Thornton's commitment didn't just ease his concern about Duke not having a point guard for next season, but that he and Thornton actually talked about wanting to play with eachother.

Its certainly not a package deal in the sense that Tyus and Jah were, but its probably not unreasonable to believe that recruiting the two of them at the same time helped us to get commitments from both.

Indoor66
04-28-2015, 12:17 PM
I do believe you are discounting the recruiting power of a D-League championship. :cool:

Hank a banner in the Dump - it can replace 2005.

arnie
04-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Interesting that Ingram didn't say that Thornton's commitment didn't just ease his concern about Duke not having a point guard for next season, but that he and Thornton actually talked about wanting to play with eachother.

Its certainly not a package deal in the sense that Tyus and Jah were, but its probably not unreasonable to believe that recruiting the two of them at the same time helped us to get commitments from both.

Didn't think we could beat out Carolina for a Kinston player; great win for Duke. Hopefully, this will work out great for Ingram with the town following his career closely and becoming Duke fans. Could be a game changer for our recruiting in that region of NC.

Henderson
04-28-2015, 12:47 PM
But I disagree, in this instance, because I don't see evidence that Duke is engaging in the same type of one-and-done recruitment that other institutions have engaged in when it comes to specifically targeting kids that can't cut it at all academically. The day we have the cloud hanging over us that UNC has now, or the lesser one that Calipari has, then I'll agree with you completely. Until then, I think there is a difference, and I believe the original poster has a valid point about hypocrisy.

First, I don't agree that Duke engages in "one and done recruitment" at all. It recruits the best players who fit the profile. How soon they turn pro is determined by outside factors and their development at Duke..

Second, I don't know of any top tier coach who is "specifically targeting kids [who] can't cut it academically."

trinity92
04-28-2015, 12:51 PM

Thank you SO much tux for posting this sentiment. I had already planned on starting a thread about this phenomenon I've witnessed on UNC boards, even dreamed up a snappy thread title invoking Dr. Strangelove along the lines of "how I learned to stop worrying about irrational Duke hate and just enjoy the haters' tears and moans." I think you put it better than I would have.

For years we've heard the trope "you're @!#$%$ up my program" as shorthand for K's manipulating kids into staying, and now he's manipulating kids into reclassifying and running a OAD shop.

Those are the same fertile minds that once lauded RW for being truthful enough with his kids and concerned enough about their futures that he let them go pro as soon as they were ready (in contrast to K), but now have spun things that Roy has too much love for the game to assemble a team of mercenary OAD's, with the implication he likes to build a team over time, the old fashioned way. Never mind that RW has recruited plenty of OAD talent since HB that has simply refused to come. What's more, the fanbase seems to have forgotten, literally between 6:08pm and 6:12pm last night, that they really wanted BI to spend one year at carolina.

Speaking of HB, for those of you who haven't "cracked open the popcorn" and ventured over to IC, those same fans are now moaning about all the attention seeking BI engaged in by planning such an elaborate announcement. They're glad they don't have such a grandstanding kind of kid, one who clearly misled RW about his interest in coming to UNC, on their team. In fact, some conspiracy theorists have hatched the idea that BI intentionally lied about ever being serious about coming to UNC in the first place, as part of a nefarious plan, possibly masterminded by K, to hurt UNC further.

In all, what there is to learn about Duke hate, especially from UNC fans, is that we will be hated no matter what we do, as long as we are successful. It's best to bask in it, tell anyone who will listen that the fix really is in, and our check to the NCAA/Refs just cleared.

kingboozer
04-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Hank a banner in the Dump - it can replace 2005.

Even better, put the D League banner between the NIT 3rd place banner and JMM's pending 'Honored' number banner:cool:

CameronBornAndBred
04-28-2015, 01:02 PM

Brandon and his family seem to be first class additions to the Duke family.
According to Brandon and his dad, the decision was still up in the air on Friday/Saturday. Good thing he didn't have to chase down a mailman. ;)

_Gary
04-28-2015, 01:06 PM
First, I don't agree that Duke engages in "one and done recruitment" at all. It recruits the best players who fit the profile. How soon they turn pro is determined by outside factors and their development at Duke..

Second, I don't know of any top tier coach who is "specifically targeting kids [who] can't cut it academically."

Won't argue about point one. But with point two, I think Calipari is far from a clean guy on that count. Derrick Rose anyone?

And with that, I'll say no more in this thread as I don't want to take it off-topic any further.

Lar77
04-28-2015, 01:16 PM

I agree with both of these thoughts:

Coach K has consistently said that he recruits players who fit the profile and has plaintively ask [paraphrase] "What, am I supposed to not recruit a player because he's too good?" Of last year's team, I think only Okafor was considered a sure one and done at the start of the season and Winslow was being considered shortly after because of his performance. I don't recall seeing anywhere that K recruited them on this basis. Coach Cal, in contrast, has said that he tells recruits that his goal is to get them to the NBA as soon as possible.

On thought #2, I agree. Some players may come into a program unprepared academically (this is getting close to a UNC scandal thread), but they are not targeted and responsible schools should do whatever they can (ethically, Ms. Boxhill) to help them get ready.

devildeac
04-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Kenny Dennard was from King, NC (that's between Rural Hall and Pinnacle on Old NC 52).

Big difference there. Dennard was from King. Ingram (probably) went to Kings (BBQ) on more than one occasion. :o

(And, at 6-8 or 6-9 and ~195 pounds, he could/should probably spend a lot more time there before and after he graduates from HS and attends Duke :rolleyes:.)

MCFinARL
04-28-2015, 01:48 PM
On thought #2, I agree. Some players may come into a program unprepared academically (this is getting close to a UNC scandal thread), but they are not targeted and responsible schools should do whatever they can (ethically, Ms. Boxhill) to help them get ready.

Yes, there is a difference between "specifically targeting kids [who] can't cut it academically," which I doubt even Cal does, and targeting kids who can play basketball without any regard for whether they can cut it academically, which it seems likely Cal has done, along with other coaches. I would go a step further than I think you do and say that schools not only should help unprepared students get ready, but should target only players who have a better than even chance of surviving academically at the school, given their own level of readiness and the level of academic support resources that will be available to them. This is something that I believe (based on outsider knowledge only) Duke does consistently.

_Gary
04-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Yes, there is a difference between "specifically targeting kids [who] can't cut it academically," which I doubt even Cal does, and targeting kids who can play basketball without any regard for whether they can cut it academically, which it seems likely Cal has done, along with other coaches.

Shoot, now I feel like we are parsing words. What you stated is exactly what I meant. Excuse me if my initial comment was misconstrued to mean Cal (or other coaches) actually go looking for players they know can't read and write. That was NOT the intent of my statement. But what you said was the intent.

Okay, with that clarification I'll move on now. :)

tylervinyard
04-28-2015, 02:11 PM

It's pretty entertaining to read, but the longer you read, the more it doesn't seem real. It seems more like everyone over there are trolls thinking they are messing with real fans who are also trolling.

oldnavy
04-28-2015, 02:33 PM
It's pretty entertaining to read, but the longer you read, the more it doesn't seem real. It seems more like everyone over there are trolls thinking they are messing with real fans who are also trolling.

About once in 20 posts you will get a rational comment.... and by rational I mean something along the lines of "K is not actually the devil".....

I would say that they are screwing with each other, except I am friends with a UNC fan that is just as crazy and probably posts on IC.... they are real people!

wsb3
04-28-2015, 02:45 PM
I would say that they are screwing with each other, except I am friends with a UNC fan that is just as crazy and probably posts on IC.... they are real people!

The quotes I read on IC fit in exactly with the vast majority of UNC fans that I have encountered in the past 50 years. According to one rabid fan Duke not only played in the easiest region this year but had the easiest run in the history of NCAA basketball.

So yes they are real people. Sad, vile, petulant little people but still quite real. They are the very reason I have loathed UNC these past fifty years. It is not the players or even the coaches. It is that fan base.

DavidBenAkiva
04-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Thought I had on the way to work this morning: Duke may start a frontcourt of three guys 6'9" or taller, including a 7 footer. Ingram has a 7'3" wingspan and Amile Jefferson is almost as lanky at 7'1" (from sophomore year). I believe Marshall Plumlee is the T-Rex (short arms) of the group with a wingspan closer to 6'10" or so. Standing finger to finger, the three of those guys cover more than 22 feet. Wow.

BD80
04-28-2015, 04:06 PM
... I believe Marshall Plumlee is the T-Rex (short arms) of the group with a wingspan closer to 6'10" or so. ...

He just needs to scrimmage with Kelly Olynyk for a while. That should lengthen his wingspan by at least a few inches. Ask Kevin Love.

mkirsh
04-28-2015, 04:18 PM
The quotes I read on IC fit in exactly with the vast majority of UNC fans that I have encountered in the past 50 years. According to one rabid fan Duke not only played in the easiest region this year but had the easiest run in the history of NCAA basketball.

So yes they are real people. Sad, vile, petulant little people but still quite real. They are the very reason I have loathed UNC these past fifty years. It is not the players or even the coaches. It is that fan base.

I would reply: "you are right, it was a ridiculously easy bracket. Almost like the other team throwing the ball directly to one of our players at half court or calling a time out they didn't have on the last possession"

subzero02
04-28-2015, 04:35 PM

Exactly... I didn't begin to truly loathe unc until I visited inside carolina on a regular basis during the 2000-2001 season. I must say that the time I spent on IC during the 2001-2002 season were some of the most entertaining hours I have spent online. If we had managed to complete back to back titles in a year in which they posted an 8-20 record, I think the site would literally have blown up during the first few neasures of one shining moment.

brevity
04-28-2015, 04:40 PM
According to one rabid fan Duke not only played in the easiest region this year but had the easiest run in the history of NCAA basketball.

That's crazy. Everyone knows that Carolina's region in 1993 was the easiest run in the history of NCAA basketball.

Tripping William
04-28-2015, 04:43 PM
That's crazy. Everyone knows that Carolina's region in 1993 was the easiest run in the history of NCAA basketball.

Funny, I thought Carolina's region in 1994 was far easier. :o

roywhite
04-28-2015, 04:59 PM

Funny, I thought Carolina's region in 1994 was far easier. :o

In an Ed McMahon voice.....Just how easy was it?

Carnac: Easy as an athlete's AFAM major.

jv001
04-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Exactly... I didn't begin to truly loathe unc until I visited inside carolina on a regular basis during the 2000-2001 season. I must say that the time I spent on IC during the 2001-2002 season were some of the most entertaining hours I have spent online. If we had managed to complete back to back titles in a year in which they posted an 8-20 record, I think the site would literally have blown up during the first few neasures of one shining moment.

Subzero, I don't know if you live in NC or not, but if you had live here all your life , I'm sure you would have disliked/loathed them longer. I think my Winston Salem friend roywhite can fill you in on how bad the fans have been for over 30+ years. The stuff you see on IC is what I hear in real life. I've actually liked several UNCheat players, but can't like the team and most fans of the cheats. I hope they never win another game. Not even if they played against ____________. You can fill in the blanks. GoDuke!

OZ
04-28-2015, 06:13 PM

And that is the very reason I don't go to IC. You know what you are going to see; so, why bother?

wsb3
04-28-2015, 06:16 PM
And that is the very reason I don't go to IC. You know what you are going to see; so, why bother?

Entertainment..:D

jacone21
04-28-2015, 06:19 PM
You know what? To hell with Carolina and their fans!

OldPhiKap
04-28-2015, 07:50 PM

I am really having difficulty finding fault or disagreement with the power of this statement.

Henderson
04-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Entertainment..:D

Going to IC is like going to the zoo. You get to see some things you don't normally get to see. I don't know why monkeys throw their feces, but it's different.

Then there is the UNC-CH fan abuse of Ingram. That's like seeing some rabid animals skulking back in the far corner of the exhibit, leaving you wondering if you should tell someone then take the kids for a long ice cream.

mr. synellinden
04-28-2015, 09:35 PM
I would not be surprised if we are playing our best ball early in the season. That is normally a K strength. Figure out the best way to play and use each piece of the puzzle and do it. What may hurt is later when teams have a lot of data on us and can make us play to a weakness. Utah in the tourny I think, said they were gonna make Winslow beat them from 3 etc...
...and they would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky kids!

Trivia question - who led Duke in 3 pt shooting percentage in 2014-2015 (with at least 2 attempts)?

mgtr
04-28-2015, 09:38 PM
Trivia question - who led Duke in 3 pt shooting percentage in 2014-2015 (with at least 2 attempts)?

Without looking it up, I would say Semi.

CDu
04-28-2015, 09:54 PM

Ironcally, Justise Winslow.

subzero02
04-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Ironcally, Justise Winslow.

It's easy to drill 3's when people play 4 feet off of you because you scare them to death ;-)...

NashvilleDevil
04-28-2015, 11:22 PM
It's easy to drill 3's when people play 4 feet off of you because you scare them to death ;-)...

Your line made me think of this scene from Gladiator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI1ylg4GKv8

Warning that this is a violent clip but a good visual of how players must have felt when Justise grabbed a rebound and got a full head of steam.

AncientPsychicT
04-28-2015, 11:24 PM

Ah yes, lest we forget, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv7A3r0a7Ns) we'll have a big man who can nail em from outside next year. ;) :cool:

Kfanarmy
04-29-2015, 12:00 AM
Without looking it up, I would say Semi.
Marshall made all of his.

westwall
04-29-2015, 12:34 AM
I would reply: "you are right, it was a ridiculously easy bracket. Almost like the other team throwing the ball directly to one of our players at half court or calling a time out they didn't have on the last possession"

Ah, yes, 1982 (Fred Brown's pass) and 1993 (Chris Webber's timeout), each of which made it ridiculously EASY for Carolina to win.

moonpie23
04-29-2015, 01:10 AM
when someone starts with the "duke had the easy run", ask them if they saw duke's bracket and immediately put them in the finals....

then ask to see their brackets

MarkD83
04-29-2015, 05:48 AM
when someone starts with the "duke had the easy run", ask them if they saw duke's bracket and immediately put them in the finals....

then ask to see their brackets

Actually,you can tell them there is no asterisk on the championship banner or trophy. Unless they banners and trophies are in Chapel Hill.

OldPhiKap
04-29-2015, 07:22 AM
Easy run? We had to go through the team that beat Kentucky!

Henderson
04-29-2015, 07:36 AM
The whole "easy bracket" notion is silly anyway. Earning a #1 seed should lead to an easier path. That's the whole principle of the bracket: Higher seeded teams play lower seeded teams. Want an "easier" bracket? Earn it.

mgtr
04-29-2015, 08:29 AM

But was that two shots, per the question? I thought he took and made one.

CameronBornAndBred
04-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Sporked you for your memory. I looked up MP3 on espn before reading your comment, since I was pretty sure he sunk one early in the season. Was that in an exhibition game? They list him as 0-0 on threes instead of 1-1.

Henderson
04-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Sporked you for your memory. I looked up MP3 on espn before reading your comment, since I was pretty sure he sunk one early in the season. Was that in an exhibition game? They list him as 0-0 on threes instead of 1-1.

It was against Presbyterian in November. Relive it: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/16/marshall-plumlee-hits-a-3-pointer-duke-benches-goes-wild-video/

tbyers11
04-29-2015, 08:52 AM

Can't provide a link at the moment but I'm pretty sure Marshall's three-pointer was in the Presbyterian game

alteran
04-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Kyrie had at least one, if I'm not mistaken.
Nolan had one.

Clay Feet POF
04-29-2015, 09:20 AM

I Can't take credit for this answer (read it on this Board) but its a beauty.

"Well all the checks Cleared"

Kfanarmy
04-29-2015, 09:22 AM

That's one of my favorite memories of the season. It put an exclamation mark on a really solid opening win.

Kfanarmy
04-29-2015, 09:23 AM
But was that two shots, per the question? I thought he took and made one. You are correct...just having fun and reliving a moment.

alteran
04-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Speaking of HB, for those of you who haven't "cracked open the popcorn" and ventured over to IC, those same fans are now moaning about all the attention seeking BI engaged in by planning such an elaborate announcement. They're glad they don't have such a grandstanding kind of kid, one who clearly misled RW about his interest in coming to UNC, on their team. In fact, some conspiracy theorists have hatched the idea that BI intentionally lied about ever being serious about coming to UNC in the first place, as part of a nefarious plan, possibly masterminded by K, to hurt UNC further.

I'm amazed at the parallels between the two recruiting sagas. So many parallels. And so much karma.

When HB skyped us, Duke had a significant (for us) lapse in Final Fours. Many inside and outside of Duke felt the program was on the wane.* Duke faced the perception that it was unable to grab those upper echelon players like it had been able to in the past. In a sense, Duke was looking for a savior. Duke had been recruiting Barnes for longer than just about everyone. And then Barnes broke our heart, and went to our bitterest rivals in the wake of their NCAA title. And the fan base freaked out a little.

When Ingram announced, UNC had what is for them a significant lapse in Final Fours. Many inside and outside UNC feel the program is on the wane. UNC faces the perception that it can't grab those upper echelon players like it used to.** They're looking for a savior. UNC had been recruiting Ingram longer than just about anyone. Then he broke their heart. And their fan base is freaking out.

But both schools had teams coming up that belied their current apprehension. Duke's team won a title the next year, and although THAT was unexpected, the team was still looking to be quite strong.

UNC is pretty loaded next year. I can't tell you how glad I am that Tokoto left. And I also can't believe how much their fan base is caterwauling considering that they have a legit Final Four quality team next year.

I guess the last similarity I'd point out is... the angst over the decisions actually had little to do with the player. UNC is ridiculously loaded at Ingram's position. They just don't need him. Roy's recruiting him for the following year. We know how reluctant Roy is to displace upperclassmen regardless of how obvious it is they need to be replaced. (Think DrewToo v Kendall Marshall.) I'd argue Duke needed HB more in 2010 and absolutely would have played and almost assuredly started him, but it's not like we didn't have a phenomenally talented player in a similar position-- Kyle Singler. (Granted, Coach K would have just shrugged and played them both, not turned it into a upperclassman versus freshmen saga like Roy would have.)

Of course, there are differences. UNC fans can whine all they want, but Ingram did not manipulate them, arrange a stunt like Harrison's Excellent Skype Adventure, or yank their chains just for his own glorification. If anything, I think some of the minor leaks and hints from the Ingram camp prior to the announcement were intended to let folks down as lightly as they could.

Anyway, what comes around goes around.*** Enjoy the taste of karma, Carolina fans.****

--alteran

*(I know I did. I thought Coach K was just on the tail end of a brilliant career. No bitterness there, all coaches fade, right? Glad to be proven incredibly, incredibly wrong by Coach K. For like, the millionth time.)

**Totally a problem of their own making. And if they would just quit covering up, admit what they did, and elect to face the consequences with self-imposition of REAL penalties-- they could end the problem tomorrow. But that kind of honesty just doesn't seem to exist there anymore-- if, in fact, it ever did.

***Frankly, I don't think things are as bleak for UNC as of the heels fans think. They're a historically top 4 program. The pendulum is just swinging away from them a bit right now. But I'll tell you what-- if anything COULD get them to fall out of the top programs, it's the incredibly short-sighted and arrogant way they continue to handle the athletic eligibility scandal.

****Tastes like chicken.

Henderson
04-29-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm amazed at the parallels between the two recruiting sagas. So many parallels. And so much karma.

When HB skyped us, Duke had a significant (for us) lapse in Final Fours. Many inside and outside of Duke felt the program was on the wane.* Duke faced the perception that it was unable to grab those upper echelon players like it had been able to in the past. In a sense, Duke was looking for a savior. Duke had been recruiting Barnes for longer than just about everyone. And then Barnes broke our heart, and went to our bitterest rivals in the wake of their NCAA title. And the fan base freaked out a little.

When Ingram announced, UNC had what is for them a significant lapse in Final Fours. Many inside and outside UNC feel the program is on the wane. UNC faces the perception that it can't grab those upper echelon players like it used to.** They're looking for a savior. UNC had been recruiting Ingram longer than just about anyone. Then he broke their heart. And their fan base is freaking out.

But both schools had teams coming up that belied their current apprehension. Duke's team won a title the next year, and although THAT was unexpected, the team was still looking to be quite strong.

UNC is pretty loaded next year. I can't tell you how glad I am that Tokoto left. And I also can't believe how much their fan base is caterwauling considering that they have a legit Final Four quality team next year.

I guess the last similarity I'd point out is... the angst over the decisions actually had little to do with the player. UNC is ridiculously loaded at Ingram's position. They just don't need him. Roy's recruiting him for the following year. We know how reluctant Roy is to displace upperclassmen regardless of how obvious it is they need to be replaced. (Think DrewToo v Kendall Marshall.) I'd argue Duke needed HB more in 2010 and absolutely would have played and almost assuredly started him, but it's not like we didn't have a phenomenally talented player in a similar position-- Kyle Singler. (Granted, Coach K would have just shrugged and played them both, not turned it into a upperclassman versus freshmen saga like Roy would have.)

Of course, there are differences. UNC fans can whine all they want, but Ingram did not manipulate them, arrange a stunt like Harrison's Excellent Skype Adventure, or yank their chains just for his own glorification. If anything, I think some of the minor leaks and hints from the Ingram camp prior to the announcement were intended to let folks down as lightly as they could.

Anyway, what comes around goes around.*** Enjoy the taste of karma, Carolina fans.****

--alteran

*(I know I did. I thought Coach K was just on the tail end of a brilliant career. No bitterness there, all coaches fade, right? Glad to be proven incredibly, incredibly wrong by Coach K. For like, the millionth time.)

**Totally a problem of their own making. And if they would just quit covering up, admit what they did, and elect to face the consequences with self-imposition of REAL penalties-- they could end the problem tomorrow. But that kind of honesty just doesn't seem to exist there anymore-- if, in fact, it ever did.

***Frankly, I don't think things are as bleak for UNC as of the heels fans think. They're a historically top 4 program. The pendulum is just swinging away from them a bit right now. But I'll tell you what-- if anything COULD get them to fall out of the top programs, it's the incredibly short-sighted and arrogant way they continue to handle the athletic eligibility scandal.

****Tastes like chicken.

I would be inclined to agree with your point that these things are cyclical. But in comparing the Duke situation you describe and the UNC-CH situation you describe, I think you are underestimating the difference this year: the public scandal, the NCAA investigation, the SACS review (really? we're talking about basic accreditation?), and the lawsuits. Those particulars tilt the cycle in a meaningful way IMO.

alteran
04-29-2015, 10:13 AM

Yeah, I saw that stuff as well. Not to mention the comments that 2010 was also historically the easiest run. You know, when we played Baylor and Butler in their home cities. A Butler team that lost their key player and then returned to the finals the next year. Yeah, piece a cake, guys.

But hey, it's not like half our titles depend on the two biggest bonehead plays in NCAA history.

alteran
04-29-2015, 10:18 AM
I would be inclined to agree with your point that these things are cyclical. But in comparing the Duke situation you describe and the UNC-CH situation you describe, I think you are underestimating the difference this year: the public scandal, the NCAA investigation, the SACS review (really? we're talking about basic accreditation?), and the lawsuits. Those particulars tilt the cycle in a meaningful way IMO.

Absolutely.