PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Coach Buehler!

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-23-2015, 06:08 PM
.....on your marvelous career and retirement. The Duke family has been fortunate to have you so long. AND good luck to Delaina going forward with a retired guy around the house all .... the .... time! Now we'll see what your made of!:D
Love, Ima

captmojo
04-24-2015, 09:54 AM
I can hardly imagine staying on this planet for 60 years. Even more so, at the same job.

Retirement ain't all it's cracked up to be. Well, that's my experience.

Best of luck and health to yours. You have more than earned it.

jimsumner
04-24-2015, 10:18 AM
One of the best people I've ever known. A perfect fit for Duke. All from a University of Maryland grad. :)

As an aside, can we change the thread title to correctly spell his name, which is Buehler?

roywhite
04-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Was fortunate enough to know quite a few guys who ran track and cross-country when we were in school in the early 1970's. That was a good period for Duke track, as some of the school records established then stood for many years, or even still stand. They all spoke well of Coach Buehler....respected him, imitated his favorite phrases, trained hard for him, joked with him. And, yikes, that was 40+ years ago. What a long and illustrious career.

There was a film on his life and impact just a few years ago; you may recognize the name of the producer.

A Durham Celebration for Coach Al Buehler (https://today.duke.edu/2013/09/buehlerfilm)

Following Saturday's Duke-N.C. Central University football game, the two universities kept the Bull City celebration going for a showing of the documentary film "Starting at the Finish Line: The Coach Buehler Story," narrated and produced by NBA basketball player and Duke alumnus Grant Hill.

The film traces the life and career of Duke's famed track and field coach Al Buehler, who over the course of his career trained five Olympians. He also was a force for race relations in Durham. During the height of segregation, he formed a friendship with NCCU track coach LeRoy Walker Sr., and invited NCCU athletes to train on Duke's track.

Nesto
04-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Cheers to the man I got to call coach! In addition to being an excellent coach, he is a joy to be around.

J_C_Steel
04-24-2015, 11:51 AM
As an athlete who competed for Coach Buehler (or Coach Al, as we called him), I can say I've never had a better coach. Not only did he care about each and every student-athlete under his care, he also advocated for them with the administration. I was injured my sophomore year at Duke as a track and field athlete, and I was unable to compete for my junior and senior seasons. But Coach Al made sure that my alumni grant was in full effect for those two years. He's a great man.