PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Professional Athlete That Plays on One of Your Teams

Bostondevil
04-22-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm an North Carolina native and my only lifelong team is the Blue Devils. I will never have a least favorite Blue Devil.

But, when it comes to professional sports, I have adopted all of the hometown teams. (If you made me rank them it would Red Sox/Bruins/Patriots/Celtics) So, Rajon Rondo quit on the Dallas Mavericks and now he's out, indefinitely, with a "back injury". I was not sorry for a second to see him go when the Celtics, finally, traded him.

But now that he's gone - who is my least favorite current Boston professional athlete? After 15 minutes of careful thought, I gotta go with Milan Lucic. I hate to admit it, but, I kinda think he's a punk. (Still crying over the Boychuk trade.)

YmoBeThere
04-22-2015, 07:01 PM
If I understand your meaning of least favorite, this is an easy one for me. Danny Green, San Antonio Spurs. Ex-Tarheel, enough said.

OldPhiKap
04-22-2015, 07:19 PM
B.J. Upton. Bless his heart.

pfrduke
04-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Josh Hamilton. I think no explanation is needed.

Wander
04-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Thankfully not relevant anymore, but before this season, Mike Wallace.

hurleyfor3
04-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Thankfully not relevant anymore, but before this season, Mike Wallace.

Mark Malone.

Duvall
04-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Why limit this to athletes? John Malone.

CameronBornAndBred
04-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Ben Roethlisberger. Scumbag. Every season I hope his leg breaks.

Tripping William
04-22-2015, 08:27 PM
A-Rod

FerryFor50
04-22-2015, 09:11 PM
I generally stop rooting for teams with players I don't like, outside of Duke. :)

burnspbesq
04-22-2015, 09:41 PM
This is not easy. I don't root for any SoCal team except the Galaxy, so that rules out Kobe, Hamilton, and all the obnoxious thugs on the Kings. Robbie Keane is a bit of a jerk, i guess.

I grew up in the NY area, so Caemelo Anthony is a possibility.

I guess i have to go with the most over-paid and overrated player in European football, Mario Balotelli.

moonpie23
04-22-2015, 10:42 PM
golden state....

you know who....

Olympic Fan
04-23-2015, 12:43 AM
The only pro team I care for -- in any sport -- is the Yankees (I've ditched the Braves after years of being a Braves fan).

The only Yankee that I actively dislike is A-Roid. I don't care if he does return to form as a top hitter -- I'd rather lose without the cheating bastard than to win with him.

blazindw
04-23-2015, 01:29 AM
Chicharito on Real Madrid for me. Even when he scores goals, I cannot stand him. I need him to depart my team's facilities immediately.

Before that, it was Josh Smith and Charlie Villanueva on the Pistons. But now, both of them are no longer on the team. Thank the based basketball gods!

wilson
04-23-2015, 07:13 AM
I've pretty well sworn off pro sports as a general matter, but Dan strUggla elicited a very large number of four-letter utterances from me when I was still rooting for the Braves. Honorable mention to BJ Upton.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
04-23-2015, 08:33 AM
As a Jacksonville Jaguars fan, I find Justin Blackmon to be awful but hes barely a team member these days since he can't stop smoking weed and getting into trouble. The jags say he is still in the long term plans of the franchise but at this point I assume he will be let go eventually.

My other team is the Heat, and it used to be Chris Bosh who I hated. But I can't hate him now not after what has happened to him and the love hes shown to us fans. So that hate naturally goes to Mario Chalmers now who I had high hopes for this season but continued to disappoint. Hopefully the Heat can find a way to get rid of him soon, even though he wants to be a Heat Lifer. Also I am not sold on Hassan Whiteside yet, sure hes a beast who came out of no where. However he came out of no where because he was a punk and he can still be a punk. Hopefully D. Wade and Udonis Haslem can get into his head this offseason and teach him what being a professional is all about.

Most loved pro athlete of all time is of course D. Wade. The guy has given everything to Miami, and Dade county is more recognizable ad Wade county at this point. His career is coming to an end soon and he will be terribly missed.

Chicago 1995
04-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Jay Cutler.

And if GarPax and Thibs hadn't made me utterly apathetic about the Bulls, Kirk Hinrich, who really is just a vessel to hold my distaste for GarPax and Thibs. It really isn't Kirk's fault the franchise seems to think he's still 2007 Kirk and not 2015 Kirk.

jacone21
04-23-2015, 10:22 AM
As a Jacksonville Jaguars fan..

Those exist? I've never met one. Actually, I'm just being bitter because, for some reason, the TV networks think those of us in the Savannah area should be Jaguars fans. Every time I tune in hoping to see the prime national NFL matchup, we get the Jaguars. I mean, the whole country is watching Minnesota vs Green Bay, and we get J-ville vs Baltimore. Each time, I hate the Jaguars a little more.

/rant

rasputin
04-23-2015, 10:49 AM
A-Fraud.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
04-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Those exist? I've never met one. Actually, I'm just being bitter because, for some reason, the TV networks think those of us in the Savannah area should be Jaguars fans. Every time I tune in hoping to see the prime national NFL matchup, we get the Jaguars. I mean, the whole country is watching Minnesota vs Green Bay, and we get J-ville vs Baltimore. Each time, I hate the Jaguars a little more.

/rant

Yes we are out there and waiting for our return to awesomeness. Its been a really long 10 years though, and I will admit to getting a bit tired of the losing. However as much as I love the Heat for some reason I cannot bring myself to like the Dolphins. Which is good because as much misery as I have experienced as a Jags fan, I think my Dolphins fan buddies suffer more. Because, they actually think their team is going to make that leap to be a superbowl contender every year, then they are heart broken as the team slides into mediocrity every year. As a Jags fan I know that we just got a new owner and a new coach and GM so we are starting over and its only really year 2 of that restart process. I think it will take a few more years before I can say we are playoff contenders.

JNort
04-23-2015, 11:50 AM
He's gone now but it used to be Captain Munnerlyn when he was with the Panthers. He was just. ...so so bad

kmspeaks
04-23-2015, 08:59 PM
DeAngelo Hall. Despite last year's abysmal record and quarterback debacle I was pleased to not have to watch Hall get beat all day then celebrate like he won a Super Bowl the one time a pass thrown his way gets dropped.

sue71, esq
04-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Eli Manning.

He's not a bad guy or anything, but his inconsistency kills me. Seriously, I can't handle it.

captmojo
04-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Marquise Grissom always gave the impression, he never wanted to be in Atlanta, playing for the Braves.

That is the top criteria for answering this question.

DukeUsul
04-24-2015, 11:02 AM
This was easy a few years ago when Mike Vick was under center for the Eagles.

Now? I don't even know who is on the Eagles roster today.

InSpades
04-24-2015, 02:49 PM
As a Rangers/Knicks/Giants/Yankees fan...

The easy answer is A-Rod but for some reason I don't hate the guy. He's obviously not my favorite Yankee but...

I think the guy I like the least is Carmelo. The Knicks tanked so long and so hard for him and to be perfectly honest I preferred the pre-Carmelo teams. The team they blew up to get Carmelo was better than most of the teams they've had w/ Carmelo. I wish they didn't re-sign him. He's obviously very talented but he doesn't seem like a team player. I *hate* his hero ball at the end of games. I'd be a lot happier if he wasn't on the team.

Also I love Eli... can't see how any Giants fan could hate him. 2 Super Bowls! 2! More than his brother! Sometimes you want to strangle him but he's better than most alternatives.

duke74
04-24-2015, 03:20 PM
This was easy a few years ago when Mike Vick was under center for the Eagles.

Now? I don't even know who is on the Eagles roster today.

Among others...Tebow and Sanchez ("Reunited and it feels so good..." nevermind)

Enough said.

duke74
04-24-2015, 03:26 PM

The easy answer is A-Rod but for some reason I don't hate the guy. He's obviously not my favorite Yankee but...

I think the guy I like the least is Carmelo. The Knicks tanked so long and so hard for him and to be perfectly honest I preferred the pre-Carmelo teams. The team they blew up to get Carmelo was better than most of the teams they've had w/ Carmelo. I wish they didn't re-sign him. He's obviously very talented but he doesn't seem like a team player. I *hate* his hero ball at the end of games. I'd be a lot happier if he wasn't on the team.

Also I love Eli... can't see how any Giants fan could hate him. 2 Super Bowls! 2! More than his brother! Sometimes you want to strangle him but he's better than most alternatives.

As a Rangers/Knicks/Jets/Mets guy...this...completely. Carmelo is an overpriced, self-important, quasi-superstar. Dolan gets the razzie for this one...over his more intelligent advisors like Walsh. (Rather have Chandler, Danelo and Timofey now, frankly - as you astutely noted). Our Knicks will NEVER win with MElo....despite the rantings of the Orange apologists who seem to dominate the NYC sports airwaves these days.

toughbuff1
04-24-2015, 03:41 PM
That's a tough one. It's either Ubaldo Jimenez, Tommy Hunter, or Brian Matusz. How hard is it to throw strikes people?

sue71, esq
04-24-2015, 03:55 PM

This is what I struggle with. What is the alternative? I can't even imagine.

JohnGalt
04-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Chicharito on Real Madrid for me. Even when he scores goals, I cannot stand him. I need him to depart my team's facilities immediately.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GOAL HE JUST SCORED?!? A 178th minute winner over Atleti...come on...you must have been a LITTLE excited.

I went to a Nats game the other day and when strUggla walked up to plate it still gave me the heebie jeebies.

blazindw
04-24-2015, 07:45 PM
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GOAL HE JUST SCORED?!? A 178th minute winner over Atleti...come on...you must have been a LITTLE excited.

Only a little. I actually was watching on my phone at work, but had a meeting I had to step out for. I stepped out for the meeting 20 seconds too early. I got back and found out he scored and just sat there like "Really? He scored?"

Turk
04-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Mark Malone.

Dang, now there's a wayback trip in the hot tub time machine. This is truly perplexing. Mark Malone over such esteemed paragons of virtue such as Plex Burress or LaGarrette Blount? That's some serious Everclear 190-proof haterade. Why exactly is that, if I may be so impolite to pry? Malone was mediocre at best, but it wasn't his fault that he couldn't get out of Terry Bradshaw's shadow or that Dan Marino routinely shredded the Steelers in the 80's. Are you jealous because all the babushka mamas were all hot and bothered over his "Magnum PI" looks?

hurleyfor3
04-24-2015, 10:56 PM
Why exactly is that, if I may be so impolite to pry?

It didn't help that he was the QB in my prime attending-Steeler-games-in-Three-Rivers years. Of all the QBs who weren't Bradshaw -- and yes, I did get to see him too -- he was the not-Bradshawest. Teenage sports hate is like teenage crushes, you can stuff them away for years but when you're reminded of them, all the feelings come back.

The Steelers passed on drafting Dan Marino because they thought Malone was their QB of the future.

throatybeard
04-25-2015, 10:19 AM

/rant

Get NFL Redzone.

Don't like: Sterhoiddy Peralta.

Blue in the Face
04-25-2015, 05:09 PM

Concur completely. Could do without A-Rod, but don't feel any really strong dislike for him (though suing the team doctor was really really low and deserving of strong distaste). Carmelo just rubs me the wrong way. And Eli? I just don't know what to say to any Giants fan who considers him the athlete they hate the most on their team. Unfathomable is a strong word, but sheesh.

pfrduke
04-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Josh Hamilton. I think no explanation is needed.

Well, guess I need a new answer now (although does it still count since my team will be paying him $68 million to play for someone else?)

CDu
04-26-2015, 05:58 PM
For the brief time he was with the Cubs, it was Milton Bradley. Tank Johnson back when he was a Bear. Just a couple of colossal d-bags. Towards the end of his Cubs tenure Carlos Zambrano. Now? That is a tough one. Balotelli is a strong contender, although many soccer players could earn that honor.

BluDvlsN1
04-26-2015, 07:27 PM
For the exception of golf, I too am not much of a professional sports fan.
Just passing interest untill playoffs.

My disdain lies not with a player but a coach.
Wanting the best for Jabari Parker,I hope he can navigate the low integrity
and self centered atmosphere that Kidd tends to create.

It should be easy when Jabari compares things to his college coaching experience.

Mal
04-27-2015, 01:48 PM
I read the thread title and immediately went to "most disliked" instead of "least favorite." There aren't many times I've actively disliked a guy on one of my teams, but they stick out a lot more than just "guy I would probably dislike if he were on any other team, but I'll tolerate right now."

Right now, Adrian Peterson. His whole story the last 12 months just makes me sad, and he hasn't exactly earned my respect or sympathy back in the wake of the incidents. The good news is he probably won't be a Viking much longer, but I was unwilling to root for the team if they'd let him play last season. Before him, I go back to Favre when he had his swan song in purple. I'd spent the better parts of two decades hating the guy when he was the archrival's QB, so he had no chance with me.

In the broader "least favorite" category, for a long while it was AJ Pierzynski - even when he was on the Twins, I kind of hated his antics. Then it was Delmon Young, not really because he never came close to matching the hype that followed him as a prospect, and certainly it wasn't his fault the franchise gave up so much value for him; it was his moodiness and uncoachability.

On my adopted NHL team (my childhood "hometown" team moved when I was in college and the replacement team didn't exist until I was 26, so I don't have any real tie to them), I'd guess Andrew Shaw is a guy I'd probably loathe if he were on any other team. Not a huge Corey Crawford fan, either; something about him just comes off as immature, although I can't put a finger on it.

kingboozer
04-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Waited years for the return of the Hornets (native NC), suffered through the Bobcats, and now have Jordan, Marvin Williams and PJ 'YMCA' Hairston to deal with. Glad Henderson is there at least, makes things a little better!

Blue in the Face
05-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Ok, so I'm not a NY Liberty fan, and he isn't an athlete playing for the team. But they're related to teams I am a fan of, and he works for them, so I'm going to revise my answer and go with this guy (http://nypost.com/2015/05/05/isiahs-back-msgs-biggest-villain-hired-as-liberty-president/).

Isiah Thomas has been hired to be president of the New York Liberty of the WNBA. MSG said Thomas also will have an ownership stake in the team.

{We had to pay an 8-figure settlement because a jury found him guilty of sexually harassing a female employee. What should we do with a guy like that? I know, let's bring him back and put him in charge of our professional women's team. What could go wrong!}

sue71, esq
05-05-2015, 04:15 PM
{We had to pay an 8-figure settlement because a jury found him guilty of sexually harassing a female employee. What should we do with a guy like that? I know, let's bring him back and put him in charge of our professional women's team. What could go wrong!}

Re: Isiah Thomas... I had THE SAME thought when I read about this earlier today (well, not word for word, but you get the drift ;) ). It's as WTF as WTF gets.

My second thought was: Can't this guy just go away already?

DukieInKansas
05-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Re: Isiah Thomas... I had THE SAME thought when I read about this earlier today (well, not word for word, but you get the drift ;) ). It's as WTF as WTF gets.

My second thought was: Can't this guy just go away already?

Pretty much what they were saying on Sports Talk Radio over the lunch hour. Along with "Why does he keep getting jobs?"

Blue in the Face
05-05-2015, 05:11 PM
He must have some really embarrassing photos of the Dolan family.

Duvall
05-05-2015, 09:40 PM
He must have some really embarrassing photos of the Dolan family.

That can't be it. The Internet is filled with embarrassing video of James Dolan. (http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/09/16/new-york-knicks-james-dolan-band-good-day-new-york)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCuQSbcrcDQ

OldPhiKap
05-06-2015, 09:33 PM
RICK SNYDER DECIDES NOT TO RUN!!!

Which saves me Googling to find out who the hell Rick Snyder is.

OldPhiKap
05-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Oops, wrong thread. Sorry.

Although if he was on my team, I guess I'll say he is my least favorite to save face.

DU82
05-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Jamison Crowder.

Oh, sorry, thought this was favorite player on a hated team. :rolleyes: