PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie v. HWSNBN

NashvilleDevil
04-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Duke basketball has obviously had a tremendous year:

Coach K leads the national team to a Gold medal at the World Championships in the fall.

Duke wins the national title for the 2014-15 season. Yes self this happened, you've watched it and watched it and watched it.

Now there is the chance we get the matchup we so wanted to see during the 2010-11 basketball and that is Kyrie going against Mr. Skype. Please let this happen and please let Mr. Skype get schooled by one of Kyrie's amazing drives to the basket.

Duke95
04-18-2015, 08:38 PM
I admit that I don't know who this person is against whom Kyrie is going, but I have faith in Irving.

cwiley
04-18-2015, 09:36 PM
I'm guessing the OP is hoping for Cleveland vs. Golden State in the NBA finals.

CDu
04-18-2015, 09:37 PM
I admit that I don't know who this person is against whom Kyrie is going, but I have faith in Irving.

Harrison Barnes of Golden State if both make the Finals.

subzero02
04-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Something tells me that if cleveland and golden state meet in the finals, the matchup that sports fans will drool over will be Curry vs. Irving.

moonpie23
04-18-2015, 11:37 PM
harrison barnes .

aaaarrrgggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Lalalalalalalalalala i am not listening i am not listening!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke95
04-18-2015, 11:44 PM
Harrison Barnes of Golden State if both make the Finals.

Thanks. Why is Harrison Barnes relevant?

moonpie23
04-18-2015, 11:57 PM
prolly cause that POS is a starter, making actual contributions on the warriors' team....

NashvilleDevil
04-19-2015, 12:04 AM

Before Tyus and Jahil there was Kyrie and HWSNBN as a package deal. Kyrie came to Duke and the Black Falcon skyped his way to UNC. We all know that Kyrie suffered an injury that prevented him from playing in any of the Duke/UNC games that year. So fast forward five years and both guys are on teams that are favored to make the finals and now there is the potential for Kyrie to do his awesomeness for 4 to 7 games on the Warriors. That's why HWSNBN is relevant.

Duvall
04-19-2015, 02:29 AM
Barnes, Barnes...is that the kid that played high school ball with Doug McDermott? He made it to the NBA too? Good for him.

Skitzle
04-19-2015, 06:22 AM
Harrison Barnes is not good enough to equate him with the nickname of some supervillian. Harrison Barnes picking Unc was the beginning of the end of the program. Since then Duke has won 2 championships and unc has become entrenched in the current scandal. Yes I get that it probably isn't a direct link cause..

I move to have the name hwsnbn retired for all eternity, it over estimates Barnes' role as a foil for the Duke program. He has a losing record against Duke and never won anything.

If anything Tyler Hansbrough deserves the title. That kid never lost at Cameron, won a championship, ruined JJs senior night,and then took over the scoring title. If anything Harrison Barnes picking Unc hurt more because Hansbrough had just finished four years of kicking Duke's butt.

But Harrison Barnes is the most evil man to ever Don a unc uniform?

Rant over

NashvilleDevil
04-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Harrison Barnes is not good enough to equate him with the nickname of some supervillian. Harrison Barnes picking Unc was the beginning of the end of the program. Since then Duke has won 2 championships and unc has become entrenched in the current scandal. Yes I get that it probably isn't a direct link cause..

I move to have the name hwsnbn retired for all eternity, it over estimates Barnes' role as a foil for the Duke program. He has a losing record against Duke and never won anything.

If anything Tyler Hansbrough deserves the title. That kid never lost at Cameron, won a championship, ruined JJs senior night,and then took over the scoring title. If anything Harrison Barnes picking Unc hurt more because Hansbrough had just finished four years of kicking Duke's butt.

But Harrison Barnes is the most evil man to ever Don a unc uniform?

Rant over

Yeah, no. I think we will still refer to him as HWSNBN.

moonpie23
04-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Yeah, no. I think we will still refer to him as HWSNBN.

it doesn't have anything to do with what he did AT unc.......it's what he did BEFORE he went there.....

and i'm still holding out hope that hanstravel has to give up some of those numbers....

Duke95
04-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Looks like I'm a bit late to the party. I have no idea what Barnes did.

Edit: oh wait, he's the guy who did the whole Skype thing announcing his decision. What a tool.

Duvall
04-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Looks like I'm a bit late to the party. I have no idea what Barnes did.

Edit: oh wait, he's the guy who did the whole Skype thing announcing his decision. What a tool.

Eh, he's a marginal figure in ACC and rivalry history, and not worth the attention we have lavished on him.

Troublemaker
04-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Harrison Barnes is not good enough to equate him with the nickname of some supervillian.

<snip>

If anything Tyler Hansbrough deserves the title.

it doesn't have anything to do with what he did AT unc.......it's what he did BEFORE he went there.....

and i'm still holding out hope that hanstravel has to give up some of those numbers....

As moonpie alluded to, Barnes is not hated for his success against Duke (which wasn't much) but rather for his dishonesty during Duke's recruitment of him. I would add also that Black Falcon is an image-and-brand-conscious, egomaniacal tool, and that makes him very dislikable as well.

In any case, if hate were directly correlated to success against Duke, I would actually give the crown to Ty Lawson instead of Hansbrough since Lawson was more instrumental to UNC during that period of their dominance.

weezie
04-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Eh, he's a marginal figure in ACC and rivalry history, and not worth the attention we have lavished on him.

Seconded, sheesh! Who cares about that cipher?

Skitzle
04-19-2015, 02:15 PM
exactly hated is fine hate all you want didn't say I love him but giving him a "he who mustt not be named" ala voldemort in Harry Potter makes it seem like he is feared more than hated.

Just my two cents

hurleyfor3
04-19-2015, 02:26 PM
This does not strike me as the kind of debate national champions get into with themselves.

jipops
04-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Eh, he's a marginal figure in ACC and rivalry history

Much less so for Kyrie who never even played in an ACC game.

CDu
04-20-2015, 09:23 AM

He's only relevant insomuch as he was referenced in this thread. Otherwise, not noteworthy at all. He's a role player on the best team in basketball; probably the 6th or 7th most important player on the team. He's only relevant around here because of the way he handled his recruitment. But even that is (or at least should be) old news; we have long since gotten the last laugh on that front.

moonpie23
04-20-2015, 11:41 AM
oh...wait.....i wasn't aware that we had to get our "last laughs" in by a certain time....

so, here you go..

the "black pigeon!!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA H

if that's not the very last one, i can submit more......just hit me up....

Duvall
04-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Much less so for Kyrie who never even played in an ACC game.

But Irving's status as one of the sport's young stars makes him relevant, even if only for the what-if factor, in ways that someone like Barnes just isn't.

Neals384
04-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Harrison Barnes picking Unc hurt more because Hansbrough had just finished four years of kicking Duke's butt.

IIRC Hans did more walking than kicking.:o

Richard Berg
04-21-2015, 11:01 AM
If you're the kind of person who'd tune into a 17yo kid's self-indulgent press conference in the first place, you're part of the problem. ESPN (and Harry) are laughing at you all the way to the bank.

DukieInKansas
04-21-2015, 11:26 AM
If you're the kind of person who'd tune into a 17yo kid's self-indulgent press conference in the first place, you're part of the problem. ESPN (and Harry) are laughing at you all the way to the bank.

If Harry actually laughed all the way to the bank, then unc has some more issues.

And I don't think he got.anything to take to the bank.

Richard Berg
04-21-2015, 01:13 PM
If Harry actually laughed all the way to the bank, then unc has some more issues.

And I don't think he got.anything to take to the bank.
The way he handled press relations during recruitment may have enraged Duke fans, but it was no accident. He's been studying the marketing game for a long time:
http://www.themarketingarm.com/harrison-barnes-endorsements.html
http://www.cleveland.com/wfny/index.ssf/2012/06/lottery_hopeful_harrison_barne.html

I think it's pretty hypocritical for us to lavish high-schoolers with so much celebrity, then turn up our noses when they dare parlay our attention into dollars. Dunno how much endorsement money his self-promotion led to, but I'm certain it's more than you or I make! Good for him!

moonpie23
04-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Kyrie Irving (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVpmz1HDLpg) - All Star - Super Star

HWNSNBM (http://grantland.com/features/harrison-barnes-two-years-north-carolina-tar-heels/) - punk - clown - black pigeon