PDA

View Full Version : OKC Thunder coaching change - Donovan to OKC

53n206
04-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Fire Brooks, hire Donovan? Makes no sense to me. Brooks has done a great job for a number of years and this year injuries to his three star players have resulted in missing the playoffs by a narrow margin. Fire him?

Duvall
04-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Fire Brooks, hire Donovan? Makes no sense to me. Brooks has done a great job for a number of years and this year injuries to his three star players have resulted in missing the playoffs by a narrow margin. Fire him?

Has he, though?

ChillinDuke
04-16-2015, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I dunno if he's done a great job. Maybe not a poor job. But this team has two legit studs on it and not a lot to show for it. Sometimes you have to make a coaching change even if a coach is reasonable at his job.

- Chillin

BD80
04-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Maybe its something they are doing to try to get Durant to stay

nmduke2001
04-16-2015, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I dunno if he's done a great job. Maybe not a poor job. But this team has two legit studs on it and not a lot to show for it. Sometimes you have to make a coaching change even if a coach is reasonable at his job.

- Chillin

The only people in the NBA that have done worse than Brooks are the Thunder management and ownership. They traded Harden for a flaming pile of poop because they didn't want to re-sign him and pay the luxury tax. If they kept Harden they'd have 3 of the top five NBA players on the same team. Throw in an Ibaka and a Plumlee or some other tall active player and tell me that doesn't win at least one championship. The poor people of Oklahoma City are too darn excited to have pro basketball that they don't even care that the owner is too cheap to hire a good coach and go over the cap. Oh well, maybe Durant or Westbrook will win a championship with their new teams in a few years.

superdave
04-17-2015, 08:07 AM
If the Bulls part ways with Thibideau then OKC should pounce. Anything to get back on track and keep their two superstars. Brooks has run his course there.

ChillinDuke
04-17-2015, 09:01 AM
The only people in the NBA that have done worse than Brooks are the Thunder management and ownership. They traded Harden for a flaming pile of poop because they didn't want to re-sign him and pay the luxury tax. If they kept Harden they'd have 3 of the top five NBA players on the same team. Throw in an Ibaka and a Plumlee or some other tall active player and tell me that doesn't win at least one championship. The poor people of Oklahoma City are too darn excited to have pro basketball that they don't even care that the owner is too cheap to hire a good coach and go over the cap. Oh well, maybe Durant or Westbrook will win a championship with their new teams in a few years.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I don't like Brooks myself, but I don't know that he's done a terrible job. I've never really thought the supporting cast around Durant/Westbrook was well constructed (by management).

And the Harden thing was just a debacle.

- Chillin

AIRFORCEDUKIE
04-17-2015, 09:09 AM
It wont matter Durant is heading to the Heat in 2016!!!!

rsvman
04-17-2015, 12:49 PM
IMO they should let him go. He's certainly not a good in-game coach. He doesn't make appropriate changes in a timely manner. My 17-year-old son would've been a lot more valuable on the bench during the playoffs last year than Brooks was.

And when Durant leaves OKC, I think he ends up in Washington, but only time will tell.

PackMan97
04-17-2015, 12:53 PM

- Chillin

Sometimes being good at your job isn't good enough if others are great. Do you think Duke or Carolina will ever accept a "good" coach running their programs?

flyingdutchdevil
04-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Sometimes being good at your job isn't good enough if others are great. Do you think Duke or Carolina will ever accept a "good" coach running their programs?

Isn't Roy Williams "good"?

Duvall
04-17-2015, 01:19 PM

Duke absolutely would, much to the chagrin of many message board posters. Not sure about UNC.

PackMan97
04-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Isn't Roy Williams "good"?

Two NCAA Championships
2 ACC Tournament Championships
6 ACC Regular Season Championships
Total Ownage (ignoring one game this season) of NC State

I'd think most folks would consider that pretty great!

I really doubt Duke would accept a "good" coach like Herb Sendek or Dave Odum. Two coaches I consider good but that were never close to being great (Odum, even with one of the best of our generation, he couldn't crack the Final Four). I really doubt Duke will accept an underdog ACC title every decade or so and a handful of sweet 16's in between. Duke might settle on a coach like Cremins or Gary Williams who has brilliant seasons every now and then, but even then I think y'all will demand excellence every season.

Skitzle
04-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Two NCAA Championships*
2 ACC Tournament Championships*
6 ACC Regular Season Championships*
Total Ownage (ignoring one game this season) of NC State

I'd think most folks would consider that pretty great!

I really doubt Duke would accept a "good" coach like Herb Sendek or Dave Odum. Two coaches I consider good but that were never close to being great (Odum, even with one of the best of our generation, he couldn't crack the Final Four). I really doubt Duke will accept an underdog ACC title every decade or so and a handful of sweet 16's in between. Duke might settle on a coach like Cremins or Gary Williams who has brilliant seasons every now and then, but even then I think y'all will demand excellence every season.

Fixed it for you.

miramar
04-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Fixed it for you.

The NCAA just might follow suit

MarkD83
04-17-2015, 08:00 PM

Let me fix this one. Fire Brooks, hire Calipari and wait for the press conference from Roy saying he was offered the job first.

Tripping William
04-22-2015, 01:50 PM
And Kevin Ollie says he has "no plans to pursue other opportunities" other than UConn.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/22/oklahoma-city-thunder-scott-brooks-fired

superdave
04-22-2015, 01:59 PM
And Kevin Ollie says he has "no plans to pursue other opportunities" other than UConn.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/22/oklahoma-city-thunder-scott-brooks-fired

Brooks will find work again soon. A change of scenery/coachery will be good for both parties.

I like Thibs in that spot. He's a really good coach, and has far better experience than Ollie.

Thunder need to lock up Kanter, who wants to stay. Kanter and Adams is pretty formidable. They could make some changes with Waiters, Lamb maybe, but they've got to plan for a title run next year to try to get back on top and have Kevin Durant feeling warm and fuzzy.

FerryFor50
04-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Getting rid of Brooks was the right move. If he couldn't deliver with Harden, Westbrook, Durant and Ibaka, he wasn't ever going to.

Edouble
04-22-2015, 02:16 PM
And somewhere a talking head brings Coach K's name in as a possible replacement in 3... 2...

OldPhiKap
04-22-2015, 02:35 PM
I am planning to float my name for the job, but only so that I can get a raise from DBR for staying.

CameronBornAndBred
04-22-2015, 02:43 PM
I am planning to float my name for the job, but only so that I can get a raise from DBR for staying.
I don't like the way you coach big men, I don't think you merit a raise.

Duke95
04-22-2015, 02:51 PM
And somewhere a talking head brings Coach K's name in as a possible replacement in 3... 2...

Not Coach K. Coach Capel possibly at UF. Obviously, IF such a situation were to transpire, and IF Capel was offered the job, I would want the best for Jeff. That said, it would be a big loss for us.

Lots of ifs, so I'm not going to worry about it until it happens.

FerryFor50
04-22-2015, 03:13 PM
I can't see OKC hiring someone like Billy Donovan for a Thunder team with Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, etc. They will likely want a proven commodity - someone Durant and Westbrook will respect and listen to. They also likely will want someone who is more offensive minded than Brooks seemed to be.

sagegrouse
04-22-2015, 03:22 PM
I can't see OKC hiring someone like Billy Donovan for a Thunder team with Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, etc. They will likely want a proven commodity - someone Durant and Westbrook will respect and listen to. They also likely will want someone who is more offensive minded than Brooks seemed to be.

And BTW, for those who say that Celtic coach Brad Stevens would never go back to college, here is object lesson #1. A 62 percent winning percentage and an NBA final is not good enough.

Duvall
04-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Not Coach K. Coach Capel possibly at UF. Obviously, IF such a situation were to transpire, and IF Capel was offered the job, I would want the best for Jeff. That said, it would be a big loss for us.

Lots of ifs, so I'm not going to worry about it until it happens.

You'd think Florida would have its choice of coaches, but then they didn't really have their choice of coaches in football, so.

Tripping William
04-22-2015, 03:46 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski is tweeting that "sources tell Yahoo" that Ollie has "significant interest" in the Thunder job, apparently despite the fact that Ollie is on the record to the contrary.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/590951699692531714

I think OPK may be on to something here. If only he collected enough cinder-blocks to successfully coach big men. Or something like that . . .

freshmanjs
04-22-2015, 06:08 PM
And BTW, for those who say that Celtic coach Brad Stevens would never go back to college, here is object lesson #1. A 62 percent winning percentage and an NBA final is not good enough.

with the players he's had, do you disagree?

Billy Dat
04-29-2015, 12:22 PM
So the buzz is building to a crescendo for Billy Donovan to OKC.

This marriage seems dubious. OKC is in panic mode. KD is a pending free agent, Westbrook is not the easiest guy in the world to read, Donovan has no pro experience, etc.

Indoor66
04-29-2015, 12:40 PM

This marriage seems dubious. OKC is in panic mode. KD is a pending free agent, Westbrook is not the easiest guy in the world to read, Donovan has no pro experience, etc.

I am curious, what are his qualifications? Catching lightning in a bottle for two years in a row?

Troublemaker
04-29-2015, 12:40 PM

Donovan isn't even #1 on SBNation's Thunder site's Prospective Coaches Power Rankings (http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2015/4/28/8493223/thunder-coach-power-rankings-Mike-Krzyzewski-Billy-Donovan)

It does look like Donovan will be the guy for Presti, though.

freshmanjs
04-29-2015, 12:46 PM
I am curious, what are his qualifications? Catching lightning in a bottle for two years in a row?

seriously? he's gone to elite 8 or better 5 times in last 10 years and 3 final 4s.

mr. synellinden
04-29-2015, 01:06 PM
ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12785551/billy-donovan-oklahoma-city-thunder-enter-advanced-discussions-head-coaching-job) suggesting it's close to a done deal - "Donovan's job to lose"

The important question for Duke is whether UF would be a job that would entice Capel?

Billy Dat
04-29-2015, 01:06 PM
seriously? he's gone to elite 8 or better 5 times in last 10 years and 3 final 4s.

I agree, my dubious reaction is based on OKC's current status. They aren't a rebuild like the Celtics giving Brad Stevens the nod. I think Donovan is a fine coach who could be a solid NBA coach, I just think it's a bad starting place if the expectation is, "Please come in and do whatever it takes to convince one of the cornerstone NBA players to sign another contract".

It's interesting, though....Kentucky's recruiting approach has really changed the game for getting the best college talent. Duke has adapted, Kansas seems fine with one-and-dones as well...maybe a guy like Donovan figures that even if he flames out in the NBA, he'll have added that NBA cred to his name which will help him as a recruiter down the road as he'd be sure to get a great college job were he to ever come back.

BD80
04-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Well, Donovan going to the pros would probably take him out of the hunt for 1,000+ NCAA wins.

Despite his head coaching gig for the USA junior teams, he really hasn't been tearing it up in recruiting, lagging at least behind UK, Duke, KU and Arizona. Hasn't fared well in the SEC recently, which is about to get much tougher with Pearl, Howland, Avery Johnson and Barnes coaching and recruiting in the conference. He'll get serious $ and would always be able to pick up a good college job if he flames out in the NBA.

freshmanjs
04-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Well, Donovan going to the pros would probably take him out of the hunt for 1,000+ NCAA wins.

Despite his head coaching gig for the USA junior teams, he really hasn't been tearing it up in recruiting, lagging at least behind UK, Duke, KU and Arizona. Hasn't fared well in the SEC recently, which is about to get much tougher with Pearl, Howland, Avery Johnson and Barnes coaching and recruiting in the conference. He'll get serious $ and would always be able to pick up a good college job if he flames out in the NBA.

He won the sec and went to the final four last season.

BD80
04-29-2015, 02:35 PM
He won the sec and went to the final four last season.

Huh. And the Elite Eight in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Regular season SEC champ 2011 & 2013.

Missed the tourney in 2008, 2009 and 2015. First round exit 2010.

Hasn't won it all since 2007. (Not many coaches have)

Dev11
04-29-2015, 02:54 PM
The important question for Duke is whether UF would be a job that would entice Capel?

It absolutely should be. Sure, the SEC has recently hired a few other solid coaches, but only one has been competitive nationally in his current job. Florida may never get on the level with the big blue bloods, but it's not that far away. Better than Capel's last head coaching job, too.

BD80
04-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Any bets calipari has already contacted Florida's recruits?

DangerDevil
04-29-2015, 10:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12789991/billy-donovan-oklahoma-city-thunder-multiyear-deal-coaching-job

Per Marc Stein, Donovan and the Thunder are almost a done deal.

Duvall
04-29-2015, 10:48 PM
It absolutely should be. Sure, the SEC has recently hired a few other solid coaches, but only one has been competitive nationally in his current job. Florida may never get on the level with the big blue bloods, but it's not that far away. Better than Capel's last head coaching job, too.

Still leaves the question of whether Capel is a prospect that would entice UF.

Spoke
04-30-2015, 12:49 AM
Still leaves the question of whether Capel is a prospect that would entice UF.

Speculation seems to be centering around Archie Miller (http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/4/29/8513837/florida-gators-basketball-coaching-search-archie-miller).

And from SI (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/04/29/florida-gators-billy-donovan-oklahoma-city-thunder-coach#):

Expect Dayton’s Archie Miller to be Foley’s top target, followed by Xavier’s Chris Mack, Minnesota’s Richard Pitino and Louisiana Tech’s Michael White. There’s some sentiment that Foley will consider assistant coaches Anthony Grant or John Pelphrey, but that’s unlikely considering the scope of how Foley views the Florida job.

neemizzle
04-30-2015, 05:14 AM
I'm sorry but I won't believe him going to OKC until I see it on my TV. Even then, I still won't believe it.

Anyone else remember the Orlando Magic debacle? I do. I'm a Magic fan. I was dumbfounded that he signed one day (I believe he even had a press conference) and the next he was back at Florida.

BD80
04-30-2015, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry but I won't believe him going to OKC until I see it on my TV. Even then, I still won't believe it.

Anyone else remember the Orlando Magic debacle? I do. I'm a Magic fan. I was dumbfounded that he signed one day (I believe he even had a press conference) and the next he was back at Florida.

Even still, such serious dalliance(s) has to hurt him in recruiting.

Edouble
04-30-2015, 11:35 AM

I can confirm that he is gone.

A friend of mine texted me yesterday to let me know. This friend works closely with and directly under a former assistant coach from Donovan's staff during the years of the Florida Championship teams.

This assistant was on the phone off and on all day with Donovan, discussing possibly joining him on the OKC staff.

All that's left is to sign the contract and get his staff in place.

mcdukie
04-30-2015, 12:24 PM
One of the rumors is that Donovan is tired of dealing with the recruiting piece which I agree will only get tougher now with some of the coaches the SEC added.

I see Richard Pitino's name being mentioned. Boy is nepotism something!!

tbyers11
04-30-2015, 02:19 PM
I see Richard Pitino's name being mentioned. Boy is nepotism something!!

I can't see how someone with so little experience (32 years old and only 3 years as head coach) being seriously considered for as big a job as Florida. I think his name is out there because he was an assistant under Donovan at UF from 2009-11 and because it's a big name. I'd be shocked if Foley hires him.

flyingdutchdevil
04-30-2015, 02:21 PM
I can't see how someone with so little experience (32 years old and only 3 years as head coach) being seriously considered for as big a job as Florida. I think his name is out there because he was an assistant under Donovan at UF from 2009-11 and because it's a big name. I'd be shocked if Foley hires him.

Coach K was 33 when he took over Duke.

Chicago 1995
04-30-2015, 02:26 PM

Donovan was 32 when he took over at UF. He'd been the HC at Marshall for 2 years before heading to Gainesville.

Now I don't think young Pitino is a very good coach, but his profile isn't much different from Billy's when Billy took the UF job.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-30-2015, 02:27 PM
Donovan was 32 when he took over at UF. He'd been the HC at Marshall for 2 years before heading to Gainesville.

Now I don't think young Pitino is a very good coach, but his profile isn't much different from Billy's when Billy took the UF job.

According to the ESPN front page article, Donovan was 30 when he took over in 1996.

devildeac
04-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Hmmm, new coach of OKC. Congrats. Wonder if this will last longer than his Magic job:rolleyes:.

Olympic Fan
04-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Interesting ... with his age and high win total, Donovan was one of the middle range of coaches with an outside shot of catching Coach K's win total (Bill Self is the other threat in this age group).

Not saying he would have done it (or Self will do it), but he had a chance ... now he doesn't.

This is why K's win total is going to be so tough to beat ... a coach has to start early, win big and stay around forever. Donovan did start early and he won pretty big -- he just couldn't stick around long enough.

Rick Pitino would have been right on Coach K's heels if he had stayed at Kentucky and not had his sojourn into the NBA. Brad Stevens was a young coach on track to make a run, but not after his move to the NBA.

Glad to see another potential challenger drop by the wayside.

PS Just checking Self's status -- he's 15 years younger than K and had 559 career wins. He's averaging 29 wins a year at Kansas. If he stays until K's age now and maintains his success rate, he'll have 993 career wins when he gets to K's current age -- that's still 25 wins short of where K is today, plus he's still coaching. So Self basically has to coach one season longer than whatever total K gets to catch him. Not likely, but not impossible either.

MChambers
04-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Hmmm, new coach of OKC. Congrats. Wonder if this will last longer than his Magic job:rolleyes:.

We'll know the answer to that tomorrow, right?

devildeac
04-30-2015, 04:02 PM
We'll know the answer to that tomorrow, right?

According to Wiki:

"On June 1, 2007, he accepted an offer to become the head coach of the NBA's Orlando Magic. However, the day after an introductory press conference, Donovan informed the Magic that he had changed his mind about leaving Florida, and the club agreed to release him from his contract on June 7. He then signed a contract extension with the University of Florida which, at $3.5 million per year, made him the highest paid coach in college basketball at the time."

So he changed his mind the next day but he was "under contract" for 7 days, depending on how you count June 1-7. ;)

I had always remembered it as one day like you posted.

tbyers11
04-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Coach K was 33 when he took over Duke.

Different era and Duke wasn't a real big name job then. Heck, Foster left for South Carolina cause he thought he had a better chance at big-time success there

True, but I think the definitive difference between UF now and Donovan coming to UF/K coming to Duke in 1980 is that neither was a big name top-tier job at that point. Aside from the Final Four in 1994 Florida had never been better than a 6 seed in the NCAA tourney and had gotten past the second round only once.

Florida is a notch below the true blue-blood jobs, but is a top 12-15 job thanks to Billy D. I think that Jeremy Foley goes after someone with a bit more experience. Maybe he sees something in a young, relatively inexperienced coach but I doubt it.

ricks68
04-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Different era and Duke wasn't a real big name job then. Heck, Foster left for South Carolina cause he thought he had a better chance at big-time success there

True, but I think the definitive difference between UF now and Donovan coming to UF/K coming to Duke in 1980 is that neither was a big name top-tier job at that point. Aside from the Final Four in 1994 Florida had never been better than a 6 seed in the NCAA tourney and had gotten past the second round only once.

Florida is a notch below the true blue-blood jobs, but is a top 12-15 job thanks to Billy D. I think that Jeremy Foley goes after someone with a bit more experience. Maybe he sees something in a young, relatively inexperienced coach but I doubt it.

I beg to differ. As other Crusties will attest to, Duke basketball prowess existed prior to Coach K. In addition, if you dig a little deeper, you might just find some other underlying reasons why Foster thought it was in his best interest to leave. Maybe Jim and/or OF can chime in here if they feel so inclined.

ricks

MChambers
04-30-2015, 04:27 PM
According to Wiki:

"On June 1, 2007, he accepted an offer to become the head coach of the NBA's Orlando Magic. However, the day after an introductory press conference, Donovan informed the Magic that he had changed his mind about leaving Florida, and the club agreed to release him from his contract on June 7. He then signed a contract extension with the University of Florida which, at $3.5 million per year, made him the highest paid coach in college basketball at the time."

So he changed his mind the next day but he was "under contract" for 7 days, depending on how you count June 1-7. ;)

I had always remembered it as one day like you posted.
How dare you do research? :D

Maybe I was thinking of one of Bobby Cremins going to South Carolina? Wait, Wiki says that was 3 days.

tbyers11
04-30-2015, 04:38 PM
I beg to differ. As other Crusties will attest to, Duke basketball prowess existed prior to Coach K. In addition, if you dig a little deeper, you might just find some other underlying reasons why Foster thought it was in his best interest to leave. Maybe Jim and/or OF can chime in here if they feel so inclined.

ricks

I'm well aware that Duke basketball existed before Coach K. Bubas had many great teams in the 60s. The 1978 national runner-up team was obviously good and the following two years were pretty good too. I've heard rumors there were other reasons that Foster left beside simply wanting a "better" job. However, as I was not yet in kindergarten at that time, please feel free to inform me.

Regardless of why Foster left, I think my main point was still valid. I don't think Duke was a top-tier (say top 10-12 in the country) coaching destination in March 1980. It wasn't bottom-of-the barrel but it wasn't elite either. The more high-profile a basketball program is, the more likely it is going to hire a head coach with more experience.

devildeac
04-30-2015, 04:42 PM
How dare you do research? :D

Maybe I was thinking of one of Bobby Cremins going to South Carolina? Wait, Wiki says that was 3 days.

Wait, you researched that?!?!;)

I had actually forgotten that fact:o. Good find.

Kedsy
04-30-2015, 04:56 PM
I can't see how someone with so little experience (32 years old and only 3 years as head coach) being seriously considered for as big a job as Florida.

Is Florida that "big" a job? Certainly, Donovan has accomplished a lot there. But before him, the basketball program did almost nothing (fluky 1994 Final Four and that was about it). Plus, Florida is first and foremost a football school.

Under Donovan, Florida has been a contender for the past 17 years. They've been in the final AP top 25 in 13 of the past 17 seasons and he's guided them to 14 NCAA tournament berths, four Final Fours, and three other Elite Eights. And, of course, back-to-back championships. Though it hasn't really been domination or anything, Florida has only had four top 10 finishes under Billy D, and has only gotten out of the 2nd round of the NCAAT eight times in 17 years -- good but hardly dominant.

In my mind, as a "program," Florida profiles as lesser than Memphis after Calipari left, and certainly lesser than UConn after Calhoun left, and both those jobs went to unheralded and untested former assistants after their longtime coaches skipped town.

superdave
04-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Is Florida that "big" a job? Certainly, Donovan has accomplished a lot there. But before him, the basketball program did almost nothing (fluky 1994 Final Four and that was about it). Plus, Florida is first and foremost a football school.

Under Donovan, Florida has been a contender for the past 17 years. They've been in the final AP top 25 in 13 of the past 17 seasons and he's guided them to 14 NCAA tournament berths, four Final Fours, and three other Elite Eights. And, of course, back-to-back championships. Though it hasn't really been domination or anything, Florida has only had four top 10 finishes under Billy D, and has only gotten out of the 2nd round of the NCAAT eight times in 17 years -- good but hardly dominant.

In my mind, as a "program," Florida profiles as lesser than Memphis after Calipari left, and certainly lesser than UConn after Calhoun left, and both those jobs went to unheralded and untested former assistants after their longtime coaches skipped town.

But the rest of SEC stinks. Somebody has to pick up a lot of recruits in those states. Also, the coaches around the SEC arent great, so being above average at Florida lends itself to an NCAA berth almost every year. Anything better than that and they are likely to love you. I guess if you ranked head coaching jobs in the SEC, UF would be second behind UK, right? I agree with you on Memphis. But again...the SEC stinks at hoops.

A guy like Archie Miller could easily replicate Donovon's success there. Well, ok maybe not the back-to-back titles part.

We should also be thankful that Coach K managed to scratch his NBA itch with the Men's National Team rather than the Celtics or Lakers.

MChambers
04-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Is Florida that "big" a job? Certainly, Donovan has accomplished a lot there. But before him, the basketball program did almost nothing (fluky 1994 Final Four and that was about it).

Before Donovan, Florida had Neal Walk, who was the second player picked in the NBA draft (after some guy named Alcindor).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Walk

But I agree with you. Until Donovan, UF wasn't much of a basketball program. And I'm sure it's still far below football in Gainesville.

tbyers11
04-30-2015, 05:24 PM

I agree that Florida isn't a top, top program. But I'd put them about 12-15. Of your examples I would put them above Memphis (Memphis' conference affilation hurts them) but below UConn. Also, as you mentioned those jobs went to former assistants at those schools. That often trumps a lot of the experience criteria.

Quickly off the top of my head I would say more coveted jobs than Florida would be (no particular order within tier):

Definitely better than Florida (12): Duke, UNC, Ohio St, UConn, Michigan St, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, UCLA, Arizona, Indiana (slipping though), Syracuse (?)
About same level as Florida (7): Texas, Michigan, Gonzaga, Villanova, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Georgetown

I'd lump Florida in with Texas and Michigan at the top of that 2nd tier which makes them about 12-15. I'm definitely overrating UF on long-term prestige but with its resources as a large school in the SEC I think it fits at the top of that 2nd tier.

Interestingly, Shaka Smart (former assistant at UF under Donovan) may rank it below Texas according to this tweet (https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/status/593847289753563136) from Adam Finkelstein

Billy Donovan's desire to get to NBA sooner rather than later was no secret; Shaka Smart took Texas knowing Florida was likely to open.

So Shaka seems to rank Texas above Florida according to this guy, but maybe Shaka jumped at Texas as bird in hand not knowing for sure when Billy D was going to leave the bush at Florida

Overall, Florida doesn't have the basketball prestige and is a football school first, but I don't see why a good coach couldn't replicate the fairly high level of success Donovan had there. Consistent top 20 with a deep run (past Sweet 16) into the tourney every 3-4 years seems doable. The 2 titles would obviously be hard to match.

freshmanjs
04-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Of your examples I would put them above Memphis (Memphis' conference affilation hurts them) but below UConn. Also, as you mentioned those jobs went to former assistants at those schools. That often trumps a lot of the experience criteria.

memphis and uconn are in same conference.

tbyers11
04-30-2015, 05:28 PM
memphis and uconn are in same conference.

Touche. But at the time Calipari left for Kentucky they were not.

However, with them both in the AAC, or whatever it is currently referred to, I still think that UConn is a better job.

CDu
04-30-2015, 05:40 PM
Touche. But at the time Calipari left for Kentucky they were not.

However, with them both in the AAC, or whatever it is currently referred to, I still think that UConn is a better job.

If I were a coach, I would absolutely choose UF over UConn. UConn has all of the same issues as Florida in terms of historical relevance and only one great coach in their history. Only they now play in a mid-major conference (hurts program visibility) and, well, let's just say UF has an easier recruiting pitch in January/February than UConn does. And the pressure to succeed is much lower as a football school compared to dealing with the Boston/New York fanbase/media at a school that doesn't care much about college football.

tbyers11
04-30-2015, 06:08 PM
If I were a coach, I would absolutely choose UF over UConn. UConn has all of the same issues as Florida in terms of historical relevance and only one great coach in their history. Only they now play in a mid-major conference (hurts program visibility) and, well, let's just say UF has an easier recruiting pitch in January/February than UConn does. And the pressure to succeed is much lower as a football school compared to dealing with the Boston/New York fanbase/media at a school that doesn't care much about college football.

Valid points. As pointed out earlier I seemed to forget that UConn is currently in a crappy conference when I listed the teams. SEC $$ and nice weather intangibles probably move UF over UConn going forward.

hurleyfor3
04-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Funny to think I was worried for awhile about Donovan "passing" K in overall college success. This could've included becoming the coach at Kentucky, which most Kentucky fans thought was a foregone conclusion.

Tripping William
04-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Word on the street is that UF AD Foley doesn't like Coach K much, so making a run at Capel is unlikely. Their targets seem to be Richie (Pitino; not Cunningham) and Archie (Miller; not Bunker).

OZ
04-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Word on the street is that UF AD Foley doesn't like Coach K much, so making a run at Capel is unlikely.

Agree; that is good news (not that Capel would necessarily take it if offered). I want Capel to stay at Duke ten more years and take Coach K's place when he retires.

53n206
04-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Shaka is smart. Re: Texas. Enormous basketball potential.

-jk
04-30-2015, 08:45 PM

ricks

Indeed. Since K arrived, we've gone all the way from the #5 all-time winningest program to #4. Perhaps with unc's missteps, we'll move up to #3 - without much effort, coaching or otherwise...

-jk

bleedingblue88
04-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Donovan and Bill Self are pretty much the only coaches that have a shot at passing Coach K on the All Time Wins list. With Donovan moving on to the NBA, the list of potential record breakers is now down to Bill Self at Kansas.

Edouble
05-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Donovan and Bill Self are pretty much the only coaches that have a shot at passing Coach K on the All Time Wins list. With Donovan moving on to the NBA, the list of potential record breakers is now down to Bill Self at Kansas.

Shaka Smart is 37, with 163 career wins. If he turns Texas into a monster and wins 30 games/year for 30 years, he has an outside chance.

Not saying this is likely, but if you're making a list of coaches that have a shot, I'd say he has a shot at it.

tbyers11
05-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Shaka Smart is 37, with 163 career wins. If he turns Texas into a monster and wins 30 games/year for 30 years, he has an outside chance.

Not saying this is likely, but if you're making a list of coaches that have a shot, I'd say he has a shot at it.

Shaka Smart just turned 38, but otherwise I agree with with you. Coach K had 158 wins at the end of 1985 which age matches him Shaka. Since then he has basically done 29 wins/yr for 30 years.

As you mentioned that's a tough road to travel, but he has a better chance than most.

sagegrouse
05-01-2015, 02:21 PM

ricks

I thought Bill Foster went to South Carolina because the other Bill Foster was the coach at Clemson, and, perhaps, hating the press, he was determined to sow as much confusion as possible.

Also, he was running out of players at Duke.

rsvman
05-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Shaka Smart just turned 38, but otherwise I agree with with you. Coach K had 158 wins at the end of 1985 which age matches him Shaka. Since then he has basically done 29 wins/yr for 30 years.

As you mentioned that's a tough road to travel, but he has a better chance than most.

Unless, of course, Shaka follows the siren call of the NBA, as well. You never know.

TexHawk
05-01-2015, 04:43 PM

A buddy of mine was at the Final Four in 2009 or 2010 (can't recall which), and scored seats within a short spitting distance of Bill Self's seats. During a break in the game action, they either honored the wins record, or made mention of it on the video board. My buddy turned to Self and shouted "That's yours if you want it!"

Self's response: "No ****ing way!"

I would be (mildly) surprised if he is KU's coach in 2020.

throatybeard
05-01-2015, 11:35 PM
I thought Bill Foster went to South Carolina because the other Bill Foster was the coach at Clemson, and, perhaps, hating the press, he was determined to sow as much confusion as possible.

They rolled with it. I loved it when Bill Brill used the noun phrases "winning coach Bill Foster" and "losing coach Bill Foster" in consecutive paragraphs.

Duvall
05-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Florida hires up-and-coming young coach with strong Duke ties. (http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=30580)