PDA

View Full Version : Any other schools have a superhero named after them?

Duke95
04-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Other than Duke with the DC Comics superhero Blue Devil, who was named after our very own Duke Blue Devils and is part of the Justice League, do any other schools have a superhero named after them?

If you were not aware that Blue Devil is a DC Comics superhero AND you have kids...SHAME on you. You clearly need a few weeks in superhero camp.
I assume that those of you who did know also have the action figure.

I purchased it a couple years ago for the kiddo. Of course. I mean, it's clearly not for me. Honest.

wilson
04-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Michigan Wolverines
Kent State Golden Flashes
St. John's Red Storm
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks
St. Joseph's Hawks
Youngstown State Penguins
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Duke95
04-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Michigan Wolverines
St. John's Red Storm
St. Joseph's Hawks

No, named AFTER them. The superhero was named after Duke specifically.

I'm pretty sure Wolverine wasn't named after the Michigan Wolverines, man.

wilson
04-16-2015, 02:50 PM
No, named AFTER them.

I'm pretty sure Wolverine wasn't named after the Michigan Wolverines, man.Oh...I misunderstood the question.
Anyway, after some research, I see that the "Blue Devil" character is freaking carolina blue. Totally unacceptable.

Duke95
04-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Oh...I misunderstood the question.
Anyway, after some research, I see that the "Blue Devil" character is freaking carolina blue. Totally unacceptable.

Obviously he just finished putting the beat-down on some Tarholes.

Matches
04-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Have you got a link for the idea that BD was specifically named after the Duke mascot? I've been a BD fan since he was introduced way back in 1984 but I've never seen the connection stated explicitly. (I do recall letter writers suggesting that BD should have an enemy named the Tarheel though.)

I keep waiting for them to introduce BD on the Flash TV show - in an early episode Barry and Iris are coming out of the BD movie...

And yea, I *do* have the action figure. Currently it stands guard over my tools.

weezie
04-16-2015, 04:20 PM
...And yea, I *do* have the action figure. Currently it stands guard over my tools.

This is why I love men, they are just so darned adorable! :rolleyes:

BrazyATX
04-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Its Wiki so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Devil

Tom B.
04-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Michigan Wolverines
St. John's Red Storm
St. Joseph's Hawks

You left out the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Duke95
04-16-2015, 06:38 PM
You left out the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Barton, the fictional character who is Hawkeye, was indeed from Iowa. So, while not explicitly named after the Iowa Hawkeyes, I think that probably had something to do with it. Good find.

Duke95
04-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Have you got a link for the idea that BD was specifically named after the Duke mascot? I've been a BD fan since he was introduced way back in 1984 but I've never seen the connection stated explicitly. (I do recall letter writers suggesting that BD should have an enemy named the Tarheel though.)

I keep waiting for them to introduce BD on the Flash TV show - in an early episode Barry and Iris are coming out of the BD movie...

And yea, I *do* have the action figure. Currently it stands guard over my tools.

From the Wiki entry that Brazy posted:

"We decided to do something that takes something from every Marvel character we ever loved. Let’s take Iron Man, the guy in the costume; the Thing, the tragedy of the guy stuck in a shape he didn’t want; and a light-hearted, bouncy approach and a character who was going to move like Spider-Man. ... And we wanted something like the Green Goblin. How about Blue Devil? We called him that because Dan’s wife is from North Carolina and he was a Blue Devils fan."

Matches
04-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the link - 31 years and I never knew that!

captmojo
04-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Air Force Academy

The Falcon (The Winter Soldier)

Well, not specifically for the academy.

ancienteagle
04-17-2015, 09:08 PM
What about the supervillain named for UNC? Remember Wonder Woman's nemesis?

Wait for it . . . Wait for it . . .

CHEETAH!!!!!