PDA

View Full Version : How many scholarship players will be on the 2015-16 roster???

langdonfan
04-15-2015, 01:52 PM
This isn't a post about whether or not Thornton or Murray will reclassify. Regardless of what happens on that front, we still have 7-8 scholarship players and one preferred walk-on. Wouldn't it be safe to say that there will be more recruits added? I am very excited about Grayson and Luke, but they are all we have in the back court. Besides Murray and Thornton, the only other recruit that there is buzz about seems to be Antonio Vrankovic...another center. I would be surprised if Coach K starts the season with 8 scholarship players (we're currently at 7), FIVE being post players. At the same time, I'd be a little surprised to see 3 new recruits sign at this point. There are potentially good fits still unsigned, but Duke has not been involved with them. What's the chance they'd sign? I'm sure the staff is happy with what they have now, but the roster has to be filled out with something in case of injury, if nothing else. :confused:

CDu
04-15-2015, 03:14 PM
This isn't a post about whether or not Thornton or Murray will reclassify. Regardless of what happens on that front, we still have 7-8 scholarship players and one preferred walk-on. Wouldn't it be safe to say that there will be more recruits added? I am very excited about Grayson and Luke, but they are all we have in the back court. Besides Murray and Thornton, the only other recruit that there is buzz about seems to be Antonio Vrankovic...another center. I would be surprised if Coach K starts the season with 8 scholarship players (we're currently at 7), FIVE being post players. At the same time, I'd be a little surprised to see 3 new recruits sign at this point. There are potentially good fits still unsigned, but Duke has not been involved with them. What's the chance they'd sign? I'm sure the staff is happy with what they have now, but the roster has to be filled out with something in case of injury, if nothing else. :confused:

We are apparently very much alive in the recruitment of Brandon Ingram (a wing/forward), and we're apparently very interested in getting Thornton to reclassify. If neither of those pan out, I'd expect us to pursue the grad transfer market. I'll be quite surprised if we have fewer than 9 scholarship players (plus Justin Robinson) next year, and I'll be quite surprised if we have less than 4 guard/wing players.

SCMatt33
04-15-2015, 03:33 PM
There's still a big picture to look at here. Right now, we have 7 scholarships spoken for in 2015-16 and 5 in 2016-17. Duke is currently looking for a PG and a wing for next year. If Duke gets both Ingram and Thornton, that would make 7 accounted for in 2016-17. I'm assuming no one-and-done's here as this class is considered pretty weak and no one coming is in the top 5. Had you magically dropped these same guys into last years class, none would likely crack the top 15. The high school class of 2016 is a strong class, however, and it would not surprise me to see Duke sign up to 5 guys from it. So I'd see room to go after a 3rd freshman this year as there are rumors of Duke kicking the proverbial tires on a few less heralded recruits. I could also see Duke bringing in a non-graduate transfer to sit out next year and help with practice. While 8 may have been enough for February and March, you definitely need at least 10 recruited scholarship players in October for practice, and usually more to give guys a rest.

Troublemaker
04-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Like others, I would predict at least 10. Add:

-- Ingram
-- At least one of Thornton or Murray (and possibly both)
-- Vrankovic

That gets you to 10. If you count Justin Robinson, that makes 11. If Duke gets BOTH Thornton and Murray, that makes 12.

BD80
04-15-2015, 04:00 PM

fisheyes
04-15-2015, 04:30 PM

Jackie Robinson, I believe, is unavailable. ;)

MChambers
04-15-2015, 04:49 PM
If Duke doesn't have 10 players, how will we spend our time this summer? We won't be able to have usual debate about minutes, playing time, and whether this will finally the year K plays all 10 players.

rsvman
04-15-2015, 05:20 PM

Swag.

weezie
04-15-2015, 05:25 PM
K must have a private jet warming up on the runway right now. Going to be a busy spring/summer for our coach anyway but now, wow!

Henderson
04-15-2015, 07:25 PM
The correct answer to the OP is 9. Follow me here....

Roger Maris wore number 9 for the Yankees.

Roger Maris was born in Hibbing, Minnesota.

Bob Dylan was also from Hibbing, Minnesota.

Bob Dylan wrote, "Tangled Up in Blue."

In which he wrote, "The only thing we knew how to do was to keep on keeping on."

So it's 9.

Listen to Quants
04-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Like others, I would predict at least 10. Add:

-- Ingram
-- At least one of Thornton or Murray (and possibly both)
-- Vrankovic

That gets you to 10. If you count Justin Robinson, that makes 11. If Duke gets BOTH Thornton and Murray, that makes 12.
Do you figure, if Duke got both Ingram and one of Thornton/Murray they'd still want Vrankovic? If nobody left except seniors, that would limit '16 recruits to 4 right? (Robinson is going onto scholarship either immediately or after one year, I read). Might want 5 there?

Newton_14
04-15-2015, 09:20 PM
You are forgetting Matt Jones who isn't a post player.
Kennard
Grayson
Matt
Amile
MP3
Jeter
OBI
That's 7 players, 3 of which are guards/wings. Adding Ingram and Thornton would get us to 9 plus Robinson, making 10. That would be a pretty darn good team imo. So, if we can just get Ingram and Thornton, I would be ecstatic. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

Kedsy
04-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Do you figure, if Duke got both Ingram and one of Thornton/Murray they'd still want Vrankovic? If nobody left except seniors, that would limit '16 recruits to 4 right? (Robinson is going onto scholarship either immediately or after one year, I read). Might want 5 there?

Too late. Apparently Vrankovic committed to Duke (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35910-Welcome-to-Duke-Antonio-Vrankovic!!!) today.

langdonfan
04-15-2015, 11:19 PM
You are forgetting Matt Jones who isn't a post player.
Kennard
Grayson
Matt
Amile
MP3
Jeter
OBI
That's 7 players, 3 of which are guards/wings. Adding Ingram and Thornton would get us to 9 plus Robinson, making 10. That would be a pretty darn good team imo. So, if we can just get Ingram and Thornton, I would be ecstatic. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

I was including Vrankovic as the 5th big. I didn't forget Matt, but I don't see him as a legit option to spell Grayson or Luke in the backcourt. I guess I see him as much more of a wing forward. I'd be ecstatic as well if we get, another guard. It just seems that we're trending toward being absolutely stacked at poitions 3-5 (remember, we've still got a shot at Ingram)with only two guards on the entire roster. We'll see what happens! Great to have Vrankovic in the mix!

gumbomoop
04-16-2015, 12:22 AM
I didn't forget Matt, but I don't see him as a legit option to spell Grayson or Luke in the backcourt. I guess I see him as much more of a wing forward. I'd be ecstatic as well if we get, another guard. It just seems that we're trending toward being absolutely stacked at poitions 3-5 (remember, we've still got a shot at Ingram)with only two guards on the entire roster.

Although the language of "guards and forwards" is still used, it's now at least equally common, and probably more meaningful, to talk about "interior and perimeter." Interior players are bigs, 4s and 5s. Perimeter guys include the PG and 2 wings. I think most on EK concede that Matt hasn't shown PG-like skills, but has played successfully, on both O and D, as a wing. On D, Matt can probably guard opposing wings from 6' to about 6'7", even taller in some circumstances. On O, he's certainly a perimeter wing, neither an interior player nor a PG. As such, he and Grayson and Luke look to be fairly easily interchangeable as wing/2/3s. The only sense in which he's perhaps not a good bet to "spell Grayson or Luke" is in the so-called worst-case scenario in which Luke and Grayson might share PG duties next season.

So, perhaps rather than saying right now we have "only 2 guards," it might be more useful to say we have only 3 perimeter guys, all of whom are better suited to playing wing than PG. We're "stacked" with tall-enough wing/2s, which are essentially the same as wing/3s on O [3-bombers, drivers, passers-into-post] and on D capable of guarding players up to 6'7" or so.

lotusland
04-16-2015, 09:01 AM

In which he wrote, "The only thing we knew how to do was to keep on keeping on."

So it's 9.

This is very sound reasoning and I'm inclined to agree. I'm just not sure how Chase's teammate, Steven Zimmerman, avoiding getting tangled up in blue.

OldPhiKap
04-16-2015, 09:19 AM

So it's 9.

This is very sound reasoning and I'm inclined to agree. I'm just not sure how Chase's teammate, Steven Zimmerman, avoiding getting tangled up in blue.

Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Fish.

And as for old Zimmy, well -- he might serve the (Blue) Devil, or he might serve the Lord, but you know he's got to serve somebody.

langdonfan
04-16-2015, 10:20 AM
Although the language of "guards and forwards" is still used, it's now at least equally common, and probably more meaningful, to talk about "interior and perimeter." Interior players are bigs, 4s and 5s. Perimeter guys include the PG and 2 wings. I think most on EK concede that Matt hasn't shown PG-like skills, but has played successfully, on both O and D, as a wing. On D, Matt can probably guard opposing wings from 6' to about 6'7", even taller in some circumstances. On O, he's certainly a perimeter wing, neither an interior player nor a PG. As such, he and Grayson and Luke look to be fairly easily interchangeable as wing/2/3s. The only sense in which he's perhaps not a good bet to "spell Grayson or Luke" is in the so-called worst-case scenario in which Luke and Grayson might share PG duties next season.

So, perhaps rather than saying right now we have "only 2 guards," it might be more useful to say we have only 3 perimeter guys, all of whom are better suited to playing wing than PG. We're "stacked" with tall-enough wing/2s, which are essentially the same as wing/3s on O [3-bombers, drivers, passers-into-post] and on D capable of guarding players up to 6'7" or so.

I don't think you're following me here... at the time of the original post we were known to be involved with Vrankovic (center), who has since committed, Ingram ("wing3"), and multiple guards. As the roster stands now if we start Grayson, Luke, and Matt, whether you call them guards/forwards/wing 2's/wing 3's Grayson and Luke would have no backups ("only 2 guards"). No disrespect to Matt, I expect him to spend most of his time on the court with them. An injury to Luke or Grayson, or missed time for any reason would be devastating. I think Luke and Grayson sharing pg duties could work quite well, but they need at least one reliable ball handler to back them up. I don't think we're a lock to get either Thornton or Murray. I do think we will get a guard from somewhere.

Henderson
04-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Fish.

And as for old Zimmy, well -- he might serve the (Blue) Devil, or he might serve the Lord, but you know he's got to serve somebody.

I think Zimmerman may have screwed himself by not committing early. In my view, he's not likely to commit to UK with Skal already there in the same class. Arizona is set with big men. UNC-CH is off his list. He sits there stranded, though we all do our best to deny it. UNLV seems likely for him. Like falling back on your safety school.

Way off thread. Sorry.

Saratoga2
04-16-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't think you're following me here... at the time of the original post we were known to be involved with Vrankovic (center), who has since committed, Ingram ("wing3"), and multiple guards. As the roster stands now if we start Grayson, Luke, and Matt, whether you call them guards/forwards/wing 2's/wing 3's Grayson and Luke would have no backups ("only 2 guards"). No disrespect to Matt, I expect him to spend most of his time on the court with them. An injury to Luke or Grayson, or missed time for any reason would be devastating. I think Luke and Grayson sharing pg duties could work quite well, but they need at least one reliable ball handler to back them up. I don't think we're a lock to get either Thornton or Murray. I do think we will get a guard from somewhere.

I am hoping that Matt will revamp his outside shot and become more of a consistent threat from 3. He has excellent defensive skills now and will only improve from those. We have three solid back court players but clearly need 5. I am confident that the coaching staff is well aware of their needs and is working diligently to fill them.

CDu
04-16-2015, 11:01 AM
I am hoping that Matt will revamp his outside shot and become more of a consistent threat from 3. He has excellent defensive skills now and will only improve from those. We have three solid back court players but clearly need 5. I am confident that the coaching staff is well aware of their needs and is working diligently to fill them.

I'm looking for big jumps in productivity from Allen, Matt Jones, and Jefferson. I hope all 3 to be double-digit scorers next year. I'd really like to see Jefferson make a push for All-ACC. With an improved offensive game, I think it is a possibility.

sagegrouse
04-16-2015, 11:07 AM
I think Zimmerman may have screwed himself by not committing early. In my view, he's not likely to commit to UK with Skal already there in the same class. Arizona is set with big men. UNC-CH is off his list. He sits there stranded, though we all do our best to deny it. UNLV seems likely for him. Like falling back on your safety school.

Way off thread. Sorry.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

OldPhiKap
04-16-2015, 11:14 AM

Way off thread. Sorry.

Well-played.

The harmonica plays a skeleton key in the rain . . . .

(May be my favorite Dylan -- but a top ten list of just Dylan songs is tough)

gumbomoop
04-16-2015, 11:32 AM

Yes, I think we may be talking past each other here, and the fault is probably mine. I do agree that, absent an additional perimeter player, [1] an injury to Luke or Grayson would cause major problems. But absent an additional perimeter player, [2] an injury to Matt would also be a major problem, perhaps not precisely equivalent on O [ballhandling issue], but likely more devasting on D [Matt's demonstrated D-prowess].

In [1], Matt "moves" from wing/3 to wing/2, and also becomes the backup PG/ballhandler. Matt probably isn't as reliable a ballhandler as we'd strongly prefer, but he'd be it, period. [Btw, others may think we are underestimating Matt as a ballhandler.] Chase/Amile move from interior/4 to wing/3, and Duke plays big, much bigger than is K's pattern.

In [2], Luke and Grayson continue to share PG and wing/2, Chase/Amile again move to wing/3, etc.

Absent an additional perimeter player, an injury to any of our only 3 perimeter players would be devastating, as (a) there would be no scholarship backup for the injured player, (b) K would need to play Chase/Amile away from basket probably on O and D, and (c) the 2 healthy perimeter guys would need to play 38+ mpg.

If by chance I've still missed your point, I recommend you respond as follows: "GM, you're a doltdunce." Others will secretly, and some publicly, applaud; and I promise to laugh with you, and at me.

langdonfan
04-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Yes, I think we may be talking past each other here, and the fault is probably mine. I do agree that, absent an additional perimeter player, [1] an injury to Luke or Grayson would cause major problems. But absent an additional perimeter player, [2] an injury to Matt would also be a major problem, perhaps not precisely equivalent on O [ballhandling issue], but likely more devasting on D [Matt's demonstrated D-prowess].

In [1], Matt "moves" from wing/3 to wing/2, and also becomes the backup PG/ballhandler. Matt probably isn't as reliable a ballhandler as we'd strongly prefer, but he'd be it, period. [Btw, others may think we are underestimating Matt as a ballhandler.] Chase/Amile move from interior/4 to wing/3, and Duke plays big, much bigger than is K's pattern.

In [2], Luke and Grayson continue to share PG and wing/2, Chase/Amile again move to wing/3, etc.

Absent an additional perimeter player, an injury to any of our only 3 perimeter players would be devastating, as (a) there would be no scholarship backup for the injured player, (b) K would need to play Chase/Amile away from basket probably on O and D, and (c) the 2 healthy perimeter guys would need to play 38+ mpg.

If by chance I've still missed your point, I recommend you respond as follows: "GM, you're a doltdunce." Others will secretly, and some publicly, applaud; and I promise to laugh with you, and at me.

GM, you're a.....no that's exactly what I'm saying ;-). I really hope Matt returns as a much improved version of himself, but I'm excited to see who else might be added to help those 3 out.

By the way, did anyone notice Duke made Dylan Ennis' final list?

superdave
04-17-2015, 08:12 AM
What will the square root of the average of scholarship players on the roster over the next three seasons be?

OldPhiKap
04-17-2015, 08:50 AM
What will the square root of the average of scholarship players on the roster over the next three seasons be?

Pi.

Frankly, I'm glad that K is winning championships AND saving money for the university. Win-Win.