PDA

View Full Version : Tyus Jones declares for NBA

Duke95
04-15-2015, 09:41 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210024690&DB_OEM_ID=4200

nmduke2001
04-15-2015, 09:44 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210024690&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Can't say I'm surprised but of the three, he is the one I thought might return. I'm not sure he is physically ready for the league. Good for him though. I hope he gets some decent guaranteed money and works his butt off to get stronger and better.

Ichabod Drain
04-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Congrats Tyus, dude is a straight killa on the court. Made the best decision for himself and everyone should be thrilled for him to represent Duke in the association.

RepoMan
04-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Short vigil!

Best of luck to Tyus, Justise, and Jahil. Honestly, to the victors go the spoils, and I am glad that they have this opportunity to maximize their draft value and earn considerable amounts of money as young men. They were superb representatives of Duke, and they will continue to be so in the NBA.

On to the next chapter. I bet Coach K and his staff are thoroughly excited about the opportunity to develop a new team next season. I know I am excited to watch what happens. Enjoy the ride.

Troublemaker
04-15-2015, 09:57 AM
Congrats Tyus on making a great decision (hey, there were only great choices available!) and for a legendary freshman season. You know, probably not enough has been written yet about how clutch you were this season. You batted 1.000 (or at least it seemed that way) in big moments in big games. (UNC fans just breathed a huge sigh of relief at your announcement.)

I hope you land with a team that appreciates your winner qualities and gives you a chance in games to show the world more Tyus Stones.

johnb
04-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Unlike Justise and Jah, Tyus will likely be playing for a contender, which may be just the place for him to learn the ropes and get strong enough to be a starter. Good luck!!

wsb3
04-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Played as cool as any freshman in the big moments as I can recall.

Thanks Tyus. Best of luck in the NBA.

WiJoe
04-15-2015, 10:11 AM
All the best, champ. Thanks for the memories!

Billy Dat
04-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Tyus Stones, one of the all time great nicknames.

I don't know that we've ever had a PG who played the role of first trying to get everyone else involved up until the point where it wasn't working and he needed to take over, and then did take over, more so then Mr. Stones.

The National Title game was the masterpiece, but he showed us early with the Michigan State and Wisconsin road games that he was a clutch performer, and played a central role in our most dramatic comebacks - St Johns, UNC home and especially Virginia.

Of anyone on the team, he was Mr. Clutch.

If a lot of ways, the team really was a reflection of Tyus. Because of all the comebacks, as a fan, I began to have tremendous belief that this team always had a chance until the final buzzer. It is clear now that most of that belief was related to Tyus' clutch play.

It's easy to write-off his potential in the NBA because of his size and lack of combine-ready flash, but he's more then earned the benefit of the doubt.

Remarkable year, remarkable player.

Henderson
04-15-2015, 10:12 AM
All three departures (+QC) would really pain me most years. But somehow a natty salves the wound. So does the message sent to other recruits about Duke as a place where talented freshmen won't be waylaid if they have what it takes to make the NBA after one year.

Super happy for Tyus.

Troublemaker
04-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Now Grayson won't have a sophomore roommate.

A few days ago, Tyus lost his roommate to the draft. And yesterday Grayson lost his.

Tyus and Grayson rooming would've been the perfect solution.

But alas.

rsvman
04-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Bummed.

Straight up bummed. I really, really thought he might come back. We could really use him next year at the point.

I wish him the best of luck and I thank him for all the highlight reels he gave us this year.

sagegrouse
04-15-2015, 10:23 AM
I am pleased to announce that there are three open positions in the Duke starting lineup. Please submit your resume and some video.

Thank you,
Sage

'And thanks to Tyus, Jah and Justise for giving us a banner to hang'

CDu
04-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Not a huge surprise. Certainly a loss for Duke next season, but good for him to achieve his dream of playing in the NBA and (presumably) being a first-round pick. Best of luck in the League!

Henderson
04-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Now Grayson won't have a sophomore roommate.

A few days ago, Tyus lost his roommate to the draft. And yesterday Grayson lost his.

Tyus and Grayson rooming would've been the perfect solution.

But alas.

He could room with fellow sophomore, Sean Obi, but Grayson wouldn't get much of the closet space.

Troublemaker
04-15-2015, 10:38 AM
He could room with fellow sophomore, Sean Obi, but Grayson wouldn't get much of the closet space.

D'oh! You're right, I forgot about Sean who is, at least basketball-wise, a sophomore. Sorry Sean!

Troublemaker
04-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Tyus Stones, one of the all time great nicknames.

If he and his family don't already own this website (http://tyusstones.com/ ) and twitter account (https://twitter.com/tyusstones ), it's time to have a lawyer send a letter and claim them. (If that's how it works. I don't know much about IP law.)

Now that he's declared, it's time to "move some merch." If they come up with a tastefully designed Tyus Stones shirt, I will buy.

dukelifer
04-15-2015, 10:46 AM
The price of a championship. The hope is that his stock stays high to get into the first round- otherwise not the best decision. Maybe he goes to San Antonio - that would be great place for him.

dukelifer
04-15-2015, 10:49 AM
I am pleased to announce that there are three open positions in the Duke starting lineup. Please submit your resume and some video.

Thank you,
Sage

'And thanks to Tyus, Jah and Justise for giving us a banner to hang'

An odd team to be sure - right now only 7 players. A few undecideds have an opportunity in front of them. Mr Ingram can sit on the bench at UNC or get a boatload of minutes at Duke.

ikiru36
04-15-2015, 10:53 AM
If he and his family don't already own this website (http://tyusstones.com/ ) and twitter account (https://twitter.com/tyusstones ), it's time to have a lawyer send a letter and claim them. (If that's how it works. I don't know much about IP law.)

Now that he's declared, it's time to "move some merch." If they come up with a tastefully designed Tyus Stones shirt, I will buy.

I'm still waiting for the combined Cook/Jones shirt: "CO-JONES"!!!!!

moonpie23
04-15-2015, 10:53 AM
bummer.......selfish on my part....

GO TYUS!!! Tear it up, man........and thanks for the thrills!!!!!

superdave
04-15-2015, 10:59 AM
The price of a championship. The hope is that his stock stays high to get into the first round- otherwise not the best decision. Maybe he goes to San Antonio - that would be great place for him.

San Antonio would be a great place for Tyus. Play under Tony Parker for a couple of years then hopefully improve enough to take over.

But San Anton only has three teams with better records right now so they would be drafting in the late 20s. Not sure Tyus slips that far. Ford has him #23 and a range of 17-25.

It will be interesting to see how his workouts go and where he stands after the combine.

elvis14
04-15-2015, 11:02 AM
The logical side of me knows that this makes sense and expected Tyus to go.
The emotional side of me is bummed and was in denial.

What a great year. Winning the national championship takes the sting out of losing these guys. Also, having 3 more high profile, very successful, one and done players should help us with recruiting going forward.

tbyers11
04-15-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm still waiting for the combined Cook/Jones shirt: "CO-JONES"!!!!!

Me too.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35310-MOTM-Duke-vs-North-Carolina-(Feb-18-2015)&p=781007#post781007

We will have to fight over the IP rights ;)

Best of luck to Tyus in the NBA. While I selfishly wanted him to stay another year his decision makes total sense.

Duke3517
04-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Congratulations to all three going pro and thank you for a wonderful basketball season which ended with a title!

yum dukie
04-15-2015, 11:14 AM
ummm, I guess the new slogan for 2016 is "7 IS SUFFICIENT"?:eek:

kinda unrelated, but I wonder if we had won the title in 1999, would it have been all good vibes with Brand, Avery, and Maggette leaving like it has been this year?
Of course with Brand it was 99% good vibes officially, it was just little things like the letter. And Avery had some unique circumstances tied to his leaving. Nevertheless, it makes me wonder to what extent a chip would have made everyone's early exits at that time wholly joyous.

all that said, it was a special, special season. so happy that my kids were old enough to enjoy their first chip.

captmojo
04-15-2015, 11:23 AM
I hate it, but if he has to go, he has to go. I hope he continues his education.
He has been a continuously educated student of his role in the game. It shows.
And, it has been made aware to us all, he has shown the maturity that is needed to make the advancement.
He just might get me to return to being a follower of the pro game....NAH!
Best of luck to you, young man.

NancyCarol
04-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Rats and mice. But good luck to you in the NBA. Argh I'm so sorry to see you go.

Merlindevildog91
04-15-2015, 11:29 AM
All the best to you, Tyus, and thanks for a wonderful year.

I will now go catch my tears in my 5 time National Champions coffee mug.

Troublemaker
04-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Coach K's 2016 ACC COY odds just went up

Luke Kennard's 2000-pts / next retired jersey odds just went up

mgtr
04-15-2015, 11:42 AM
After the first few games of the season I figured that Okafor would be gone, but never gave a thought to Winslow and Jones leaving. Of course, by tournament, everybody looked good. So, Three Amigos, very glad you came and had a fabulous year, but sorry to see you go. Now, go and set the NBA on fire!

Rich
04-15-2015, 11:46 AM
If he and his family don't already own this website (http://tyusstones.com/) it's time to have a lawyer send a letter and claim them.

The domain name tyusstones.com operates as a fan site and is owned by:

Registrant Name: CHRIS SUMMERVILLE
Registrant Street: 1522 STANDISH DR.
Registrant City: MONROE
Registrant State/Province: NC
Registrant Postal Code: 28110
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.7043026325
Registrant Email: CHRIS_SUMMERVILLE@YAHOO.COM

bluenorth
04-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Congrats to all of the departing players (Quinn too!) on a season for the ages. I hope that Jahlil, Justise, Quinn, and Tyus all have successful pro careers. That said, it's hard to see them leave so soon. I suppose that the silver lining is now the prospects who are undecided know exactly what is available at Duke in terms of playing time. And thanks to all of the positive press lately, the Duke profile is even better than usual. No matter who wears the uniforms next season, Coach K will find a way to make the team great.

CoSprings
04-15-2015, 12:03 PM
It's a smart move by Tyus, but it stinks for college basketball fans, both Duke and beyond. I guess I'm old fashioned but I lament for the days when you got to watch these great kids continue to develop and grow as players and human beings. The game suffers and I think as fans at least I struggle to fully buy in when i know that a large % of the players won't be around for more than a year. I think that was what was so special about the 2010 team, we watched these kids grow from freshman who were a bit outclassed to maturing into men who competed and won the national championship. It was a long, slow arc that lead to a national title. This year was a rocket ship launch that also lead to a title, it worked but in some ways it felt a lot different than 2010.

Eh, what do I know. The game has changed, and unless we want to be UVA, Wisconsin or Gonzaga I need to get used to the fact that 3 out of 4 of all incoming recruits are OAD. K has proven he can win both ways, but sometimes the old ways seem more satisfying.

Much like the Slow Food movement that provided an alternative to the franchise-based over production and satiation of mass produced, poor quality food, I'd love to see a Slow Hoops movement that changes the dynamic in college basketball. Allowing these kids to mature at their own pace instead of pushing them out the door underdeveloped simply because the current environment tells them that to return to school is seen as a failure to launch. It's a hopeless dream, but the quality of the game and our relationship to the game and the program would deepen and grow, that I am sure of.

flyingdutchdevil
04-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Well deserved, Tyus. Well deserved.

Now go prove all those scouts wrong who said you're too small to play in the NBA.

Chillduck
04-15-2015, 12:59 PM
What's getting hard now is finding a team to cheer for in the NBA. We have so many Duke greats spread out in the NBA, that it is hard to root against teams. Go Cleveland (Kyrie), Go LA Clippers (JJ, Dahntay, and Austin), Go Milwaukee, (Jabari and Miles), Go Brooklyn (Mason), Go Chicago (Mike), Go Atlanta (Elton), Go LA Lakers (Ryan and Carlos), Go Miami (Josh and Luol), Go New York (Lance), Go Charlotte (Gerald), Go Utah (Rodney), Go OKC (Kyle), and I am sure I am missing somebody. Now lets add 3-4 Dukies to the mix.

MCFinARL
04-15-2015, 01:35 PM

I feel fairly comfortable that Tyus has pretty strong evidence he will go in the first round; if not, he might well have returned. Coach K's complete enthusiasm about Tyus's decision also suggests they are pretty confident he will stay in the first round.

I hate it, but if he has to go, he has to go. I hope he continues his education.
He has been a continuously educated student of his role in the game. It shows.
And, it has been made aware to us all, he has shown the maturity that is needed to make the advancement.
He just might get me to return to being a follower of the pro game....NAH!
Best of luck to you, young man.

Bold prediction: At least two, and maybe all three, of these one-and-done players will get degrees, and probably from Duke. Can't say when; it may be quite a while, given that they only completed one year of classes. But I think it will happen. All three have made statements about the value of education to a secure future. All three seem intelligent and interested in learning. And all three seemed to genuinely love Duke University--the whole experience, not just the basketball.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part; players who have finished degrees later, like Dunleavy and Henderson, already had three years under their belts. Kyrie made some progress during the lock out and probably, with AP credits, had about two years in at that point, but I don't know whether he is making good on his promise to his Dad that he would get his degree; I hope so.

I'll just have to check back in 10 years and see how it's going. :D

After the first few games of the season I figured that Okafor would be gone, but never gave a thought to Winslow and Jones leaving. Of course, by tournament, everybody looked good. So, Three Amigos, very glad you came and had a fabulous year, but sorry to see you go. Now, go and set the NBA on fire!

Well deserved, Tyus. Well deserved.

Now go prove all those scouts wrong who said you're too small to play in the NBA.

Coming in, I think the common assumption was that Okafor could have gone directly to the NBA had that route been available. Few, other than Winslow himself (I remember seeing an interview, or a tweet, or something from Winslow as he was transitioning to college that expressed at least an aspiration to play at a one-and-done level) thought he would leave after a year, though even then everyone could see the potential. He used his year in college well to confirm that potential.

Tyus, because of size, clearly needed college to demonstrate his ability to play at a higher level--and he did, a thousandfold. Granted, there are things Tyus might have worked on in another year at Duke--but his most important qualities--court vision, grace under pressure, and that ineffable quality of being a winner--can never be more thoroughly or more effectively demonstrated than they were this season. Next year at Duke would be almost like starting over, as the team would be quite different even with Tyus, and his best friends and unofficial big brother and mentor would be gone. If he has to take on a big challenge anyway, it might as well be the next one. Fingers crossed he goes to a team that understands and appreciates what they have in him.

Really, we should probably have realized from the first that in this particular bargain with the Devils, the cost of the championship would be saying goodbye to all three. Thanks for the memories, Tyus--and Justise, and Jahlil--and very best wishes. May you prosper in the NBA.

Bluedog
04-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Bold prediction: At least two, and maybe all three, of these one-and-done players will get degrees, and probably from Duke. Can't say when; it may be quite a while, given that they only completed one year of classes. But I think it will happen. All three have made statements about the value of education to a secure future. All three seem intelligent and interested in learning. And all three seemed to genuinely love Duke University--the whole experience, not just the basketball.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part; players who have finished degrees later, like Dunleavy and Henderson, already had three years under their belts. Kyrie made some progress during the lock out and probably, with AP credits, had about two years in at that point, but I don't know whether he is making good on his promise to his Dad that he would get his degree; I hope so.

I'll just have to check back in 10 years and see how it's going. :D

I don't think there's ever been a Duke basketball player who attended for only one or two years to eventually get a degree from Duke, has there? Not saying that won't change, but Duke does not make it easy compared to the vast majority of colleges. Duke caps the number of AP credits that count towards the 34 required courses at TWO, so it's not like you can come in as a sophomore (otherwise, the vast majority of the student body would -- I realize you can have more AP credits if you have an accelerated curriculum). They also are very stingy with transfer credit (summer organic chemistry class at Northwestern? Not accepted at Duke!), do not routinely have online courses for credit, and the summer sesssions are limited with their offerings. I'd think perhaps with known athletes, they want to incentivize the education and may be a bit more flexible, but they can't change the rules that exist (we're not UNC!).

Best of luck to Tyus in the NBA. He had a heckuva season for sure.

duke09hms
04-15-2015, 02:02 PM
I don't think there's ever been a Duke basketball player who attended for only one or two years to eventually get a degree from Duke, has there? Not saying that won't change, but Duke does not make it easy compared to the vast majority of colleges. Duke caps the number of AP credits that count towards the 34 required courses at TWO, so it's not like you can come in as a sophomore (otherwise, the vast majority of the student body would -- I realize you can have more AP credits if you have an accelerated curriculum). They also are very stingy with transfer credit (summer organic chemistry class at Northwestern? Not accepted at Duke!), do not routinely have online courses for credit, and the summer sesssions are limited with their offerings. I'd think perhaps with known athletes, they want to incentivize the education and may be a bit more flexible, but they can't change the rules that exist (we're not UNC!).

True, but with two summers (2x4 courses), a freshman year, and one semester due to lockout, I think Kyrie was academically halfway through his junior year before he played a game, so it can definitely be done. Basically, only ~10 classes away from a degree.

MCFinARL
04-15-2015, 02:02 PM
I don't think there's ever been a Duke basketball player who attended for only one or two years to eventually get a degree from Duke, has there? Not saying that won't change, but Duke does not make it easy compared to the vast majority of colleges. Duke caps the number of AP credits that count towards the 34 required courses at TWO. They also are very stingy with transfer credit, do not routinely have online courses for credit, and the summer sesssions are limited with their offerings.

All true, and you may be right--though I don't know for certain that there hasn't been such a player to get a Duke degree, I can't name one who did. I know Kyrie left Duke saying he had promised his dad he would complete his Duke degree in, I think, five years--which I thought at the time was ambitious, although the lockout did give him a chance to get a few more credits in. I haven't heard anything more about his studying on campus in the summer--but it's possible, given how well things are going for Kyrie in terms of marketing as well as basketball, that his father has softened his stance. :D

I wonder, though, if Duke may be just a little more willing to accommodate professional athletes who want to finish their degrees in terms of transfer credits allowed, etc. There are a couple of ways that athletes have more flexibility than other students when they are in school--priority class registration, for example, or being permitted to carry an under load during their competitive season and make up the credits in summer school. Maybe similar flexibility is available for completing degrees after leaving school--but maybe not.

And, as I noted, it's probably just romanticized wishful thinking on my part anyway. I like that all three of these guys, on leaving, have called themselves Duke guys, and I'm just extending the concept a bit.

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-15-2015, 02:04 PM
San Antonio would be a great place for Tyus. Play under Tony Parker for a couple of years then hopefully improve enough to take over.

But San Anton only has three teams with better records right now so they would be drafting in the late 20s. Not sure Tyus slips that far. Ford has him #23 and a range of 17-25.

It will be interesting to see how his workouts go and where he stands after the combine.

This was my exact first thought too. Tony Parker's game would be a great model for Jones. SA is a great organization and town (also, no income tax).

COYS
04-15-2015, 02:37 PM
This was my exact first thought too. Tony Parker's game would be a great model for Jones. SA is a great organization and town (also, no income tax).

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you . . . and I'd be ecstatic for any Duke player to play in San Antonio, but do you really think Parker and Jones have similar games? Tony is unbelievably quick and a superb finisher around the hoop. He never really became much of a three point threat, although he can occasionally hit one if need be. He's a solid passer, but he's really not much of a creator.

I feel like Tyus has far more potential as a distributor. They both will probably excel while operating the pick n' roll, but I predict that Tyus will need to become a better outside shooter than Parker ever was for him to reach the same level of success, as he doesn't have Tony's quickness (few do). In a world where Tyus realizes his full potential and becomes a top 10 starting PG at the NBA level, I bet Tyus averages more assists, fewer points, and shoots better from 3 pt range than Parker did in his prime. Tyus's free throw shooting gives me hope that he will become a knock-down shooter in the NBA. Personally, I feel like that is the game-changer for Tyus, as it will make his driving and distributing ability all that more dangerous if opposing defenses have to respect his long range shooting.

camion
04-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Sad to see him go. Glad he was here.

Good luck Tyus.

flyingdutchdevil
04-15-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you . . . and I'd be ecstatic for any Duke player to play in San Antonio, but do you really think Parker and Jones have similar games? Tony is unbelievably quick and a superb finisher around the hoop. He never really became much of a three point threat, although he can occasionally hit one if need be. He's a solid passer, but he's really not much of a creator.

I feel like Tyus has far more potential as a distributor. They both will probably excel while operating the pick n' roll, but I predict that Tyus will need to become a better outside shooter than Parker ever was for him to reach the same level of success, as he doesn't have Tony's quickness (few do). In a world where Tyus realizes his full potential and becomes a top 10 starting PG at the NBA level, I bet Tyus averages more assists, fewer points, and shoots better from 3 pt range than Parker did in his prime. Tyus's free throw shooting gives me hope that he will become a knock-down shooter in the NBA. Personally, I feel like that is the game-changer for Tyus, as it will make his driving and distributing ability all that more dangerous if opposing defenses have to respect his long range shooting.

Yeah - I think the Tony Parker comparison is way off. Like you said, Parker is insanely quick. Tyus can change speeds well, but he is not lightning fast like Parker (and not even close to lightning fast). Furthermore, didn't Parker have the most points in the paint for, like, 4 years? Which is insane given that he's a guard. I see Tyus doing his scoring damage from the 3pt line.

I think a poor man's John Stockton makes sense. Potentially great distributor, good 3pt shooter, not a large player, makes everyone around him better, good at steals, etc. I know John Stockton is one of the greatest PGs in the NBA and I'm not suggesting that Tyus is the next coming of Don Stockton, but their skillsets are similar.

Henderson
04-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Tyus reminds me more of Bob Cousy. That might not help him much in today's NBA, but I intend it as high praise.

CDu
04-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Yeah - I think the Tony Parker comparison is way off. Like you said, Parker is insanely quick. Tyus can change speeds well, but he is not lightning fast like Parker (and not even close to lightning fast). Furthermore, didn't Parker have the most points in the paint for, like, 4 years? Which is insane given that he's a guard. I see Tyus doing his scoring damage from the 3pt line.

I think a poor man's John Stockton makes sense. Potentially great distributor, good 3pt shooter, not a large player, makes everyone around him better, good at steals, etc. I know John Stockton is one of the greatest PGs in the NBA and I'm not suggesting that Tyus is the next coming of Don Stockton, but their skillsets are similar.

I mentioned in another thread that Jones reminds me a bit of Mike Bibby. Similar size and athleticism, similar "feel for the game", similar "clutch" game. I could see him being a Bibby type of player.

Dev11
04-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Duke caps the number of AP credits that count towards the 34 required courses at TWO, so it's not like you can come in as a sophomore

Not if you go into Pratt! The engineering school lets you bring all the math and science AP credits you want, plus the two non-STEM credits you get in Trinity. I'm sure all these basketball players are headed in that direction, right?

Henderson
04-15-2015, 03:36 PM
I mentioned in another thread that Jones reminds me a bit of Mike Bibby. Similar size and athleticism, similar "feel for the game", similar "clutch" game. I could see him being a Bibby type of player.

That's not a bad comparison, and it wouldn't be bad for Tyus. Bibby had a nice long career with a good balance between scoring, assists, and limiting turnovers. He got stuck on some pretty mediocre teams, but a 19 year old looking forward into the unknown could do worse as one aspiration.

clinresga
04-15-2015, 03:49 PM
A bit OT, but I'm struck that our OAD's this year will likely end up going significantly higher, as a group, in the draft than projected before the beginning of the season (those with access to actual data feel free to correct me). Of course Jahlil will likely go at 2, pretty much as predicted, but Justise definitely made a jump way up to projected 6 or so, and I don't recall Tyus on anyones first round mock draft before the season. To me that's pretty darn impressive, and should reflect extremely well on K and the coaching staff.

In contrast, looking at the 7 leaving Ky for the draft this year, I have a sense that several have underperformed versus the pre-college expectations (again, this is recollection and could be mistaken). I certainly think the Harrisons had higher ratings, and Johnson and even Booker don't seem to have risen dramatically in worth over the season. Obviously Towns and Lyles are meeting/exceeding expectations, and Cauley-Stein, though it took him years to get there.

I just wonder if we can get some mileage out of the notion that it's K, not Cal, who really understands how to develop a player to the maximum of his abilities and thus optimizes his position in the draft to follow. At least, that's what I hope Brandon Ingram is hearing these days.

Rich
04-15-2015, 04:48 PM
kinda unrelated, but I wonder if we had won the title in 1999, would it have been all good vibes with Brand, Avery, and Maggette leaving like it has been this year?

I think it absolutely makes a difference. That Natty certainly takes away the sting, especially when we can be pretty confident that we're not going to be sniffing around another one next year. If we lost to Wisconsin we'd all be pining for them to stay with the hope that they can get over that hurdle next season and no doubt cursing one-and-done as each one declared one after the other. As Kentucky learned this year, it's not so easy and there are no guarantees.

SupaDave
04-15-2015, 05:00 PM
He's Mark Price in the NBA. Tyus will be fine. Size isn't an issue if you've been watching Isaiah Thomas at all this year (or in the past even! lol!)...

Duvall
04-15-2015, 05:02 PM
He's Mark Price in the NBA. Tyus will be fine. Size isn't an issue if you've been watching Isaiah Thomas at all this year (or in the past even! lol!)...

Could Mark Price be Mark Price in today's NBA?

WillJ
04-15-2015, 05:07 PM

Mark Price was a damn good pro....Tyus would be very fortunate to have his career.

weezie
04-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Good luck to Tyus! Thank you for all the hard work....

MChambers
04-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Mark Price was quick and a very good shooter. I don't think Tyus is yet there, but he has time to grow.

SupaDave
04-15-2015, 05:34 PM
First, yes Mark Price could be Mark Price in today's NBA. This is a guy that played during the golden age and ate people up with a high basketball IQ and skills sharpened over time.

For comparisons sake, tell me if this doesn't look like our guy...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W1eoEAJx2HY

dukelifer
04-15-2015, 07:36 PM
Mark Price was quick and a very good shooter. I don't think Tyus is yet there, but he has time to grow.

Great shooter and with NBA range. You have to be elite at something to survive as a small guard in the NBA.

awhom111
04-15-2015, 09:57 PM

That's not true. If you can plan on graduating in three years, you can use ten AP credits instead of two. The difficulty in this case becomes economically using your classes to fulfill requirements.

NYBri
04-15-2015, 09:59 PM
God speed, Tyus Jones.

Bluedog
04-15-2015, 10:41 PM
That's not true. If you can plan on graduating in three years, you can use ten AP credits instead of two. The difficulty in this case becomes economically using your classes to fulfill requirements.

I said that exact thing in what you're quoting: "I realize you can have more AP credits if you have an accelerated curriculum." It's capped at 4 credits for 7 semesters and 8 for six semesters (for Trinity). In any event, as you say, it's difficult to fulfill your major and other curriculum requirements with those credits -- and a pro NBA player is not going to be graduating early anyways. But it was done masterfully by (pro poker player) Vanessa Rousso! (With reports that she's the only person in history to graduate from Duke in 2.5 years -- maybe that was before the AP credit limits were implemented!).
</tangent>

Make us proud in the NBA, Tyus! Hope he finds a good spot.

CharlestonDave
04-16-2015, 08:26 AM
This is just a curiosity question , nothing more.

How would everyone feel about Jones, Winslow and Okafor all opting for the NBA if Duke had lost to Utah in the Sweet 16 or to Gonzaga in the Elite 8 ?

Would the feeling be the same ? An honest opinion please .

flyingdutchdevil
04-16-2015, 09:05 AM

How would everyone feel about Jones, Winslow and Okafor all opting for the NBA if Duke had lost to Utah in the Sweet 16 or to Gonzaga in the Elite 8 ?

The same that I'd feel about Parker leaving last year: smart move, wish you made it to at least the FF, but I get it.

Kfanarmy
04-16-2015, 09:07 AM

Tyus doesn't go if they don't make the final four weekend, perhaps even Justise.

English
04-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Tyus doesn't go if they don't make the final four weekend, perhaps even Justise.

Agree on Tyus coming back for a second year if Duke doesn't break through to the F4 largely on the merits of his ice cold clutch play. I have to believe Justise still goes, although probably projected in the 6-12 range (maybe the third/fourth wing in the draft behind Johnson and Ouebre Jr., and perhaps a Euro wing), rather than the 4-6 range. But, exactly as FDD mentioned, I'd still think it would be a sensible move for Oak and Justise, and I'd continue to (casually, like all my NBA fandom) pull for them to succeed at the highest level.

While certainly hoping for these kids to come back, the pragmatist in me knows there's no bad choice staying or going to collect your cheddar.

Troublemaker
04-16-2015, 10:07 AM

Oh, it would've been awful. Gut-wrenching. I might've cried.

But I still wouldn't have said a bad word about them, and I would've supported their decision (to the extent that a fan can bring support) and thought of them as Blue Devils for life.

wilson
04-16-2015, 10:26 AM
What's getting hard now is finding a team to cheer for in the NBA. We have so many Duke greats spread out in the NBA, that it is hard to root against teams. Go Cleveland (Kyrie), Go LA Clippers (JJ, Dahntay, and Austin), Go Milwaukee, (Jabari and Miles), Go Brooklyn (Mason), Go Chicago (Mike), Go Atlanta (Elton), Go LA Lakers (Ryan and Carlos), Go Miami (Josh and Luol), Go New York (Lance), Go Charlotte (Gerald), Go Utah (Rodney), Go OKC (Kyle), and I am sure I am missing somebody. Now lets add 3-4 Dukies to the mix.Duke haters, 2005: Duke players suck in the pros!
Duke haters, 2015: Duke is a one-and-done factory and all of their players just stay for a little while and then go pro!

Henderson
04-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Duke haters, 2005: Duke players suck in the pros!
Duke haters, 2015: Duke is a one-and-done factory and all of their players just stay for a little while and then go pro!

Duke haters, 2025: We keep changing the rules, and they still kick our butts. They should play with four players on the court. And JJ Junior should be banned.

elvis14
04-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Winning the national title takes a good bit of the sting out of losing these guys. I can tell you that had we lost the feeling would not be the same. I would still appreciate them but I'd feel much worse about losing them. I look at next years roster and worry that we'll have a down year but then I smile and remind myself that we just won the national championship.

I think back to last year when we lost in the first round and then Jabari and Hood left (after winning nothing). I was much more upset about them leaving (of course I had no idea how good the 4 new freshman were really going to be).

Henderson
04-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Winning the national title takes a good bit of the sting out of losing these guys. I can tell you that had we lost the feeling would not be the same. I would still appreciate them but I'd feel much worse about losing them. I look at next years roster and worry that we'll have a down year but then I smile and remind myself that we just won the national championship.

I think back to last year when we lost in the first round and then Jabari and Hood left (after winning nothing). I was much more upset about them leaving (of course I had no idea how good the 4 new freshman were really going to be).

I know what you meant by that, but it's not like they won nothing. Expectations can overshadow accomplishments. That team should be lauded for what it did, not disparaged for what it did not.

captmojo
04-16-2015, 12:00 PM

From my own experience, both time references can be applied to today.

A-Tex Devil
04-16-2015, 12:07 PM
So where is the thread for "what are we going to do without a PG next year?!?" panic? Could someone point me in that direction, please?

DukieTiger
04-16-2015, 12:14 PM
So where is the thread for "what are we going to do without a PG next year?!?" panic? Could someone point me in that direction, please?

Maybe my response belongs in the Optimist thread, but I don't think the thread you are referencing ever gets created. Duke's in the running for not one, not two, but three elite level PG options for next year. Hard to see them not land at least one of them. I could even see Duke getting two.

InSpades
04-16-2015, 12:16 PM

The hilarious thing to me about the "one and done" thing is that people act like players come with a "one and done" tag on them. I guess some kids do (Wiggins, Parker, Okafor... guys who are clearly talented enough to go from day 1). However in any given year there are a ton of kids who could be one and done or could stick around for 3-4 years. If you could predict that before signing a kid... then you must have a crystal ball. If you want to avoid the potential of having a one and done player then you basically have to avoid most of the top 20 recruits. This year was just a perfect storm of Duke taking 1 sure-fire OAD and having 2 other freshmen just have awesome seasons. How can you put blame on anyone for that? If Tyus decides to stay for his sophomore year does it suddenly make his recruitment okay in the eyes of the OAD haters? It's all just ridiculous.

As long as Duke signs good kids who "unpack their bags" then I'm okay w/ whenever they want to leave. When we start getting kids who come to Duke just to get drafted high and ignore the education and other great things that Duke has to offer... then maybe we'll have an issue. I don't foresee this ever being a problem.

A-Tex Devil
04-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Maybe my response belongs in the Optimist thread, but I don't think the thread you are referencing ever gets created. Duke's in the running for not one, not two, but three elite level PG options for next year. Hard to see them not land at least one of them. I could even see Duke getting two.

I was being a little tongue and cheek (a little). If neither of the juniors reclassify, will be interesting to see what happens.

ricks68
04-16-2015, 12:54 PM

That shouldn't be a problem. Just bring back a similar thread from the 2009-10 season.

And by the way, A-Tex, drop by Killen's in Pearland for a beef rib. Just a shade under the enjoyment of winning The Championship.

(It's now official. Basketball season is over. Long live BBQ--------and now, craft beer!)

ricks

Henderson
04-16-2015, 01:06 PM
It's now official. Basketball season is over.

No, please. Don't do that yet. HS commitments, transfers, pro-announcements. The season fades but lives.

Please, I'm begging you. Not the off-season. Not yet. I can't take it.

MCFinARL
04-16-2015, 01:07 PM

See the 2015 recruiting thread, where this appears intermittently.

elvis14
04-16-2015, 02:02 PM
I know what you meant by that, but it's not like they won nothing. Expectations can overshadow accomplishments. That team should be lauded for what it did, not disparaged for what it did not.

Sorry about that Henderson, after rereading what I posted that does sound more harsh than I intended.

Kedsy
04-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Great question. Seems like some of the people who were singing the Duke-shouldn't-recruit-OADs-anymore song after a sample size of 2 proved we couldn't get out of the first round with such players are now singing a very different song.

I haven't gone back to match quotes, but it also seems like some of the people who claimed they'd never view Austin and Jabari as "true" Blue Devils feel differently about the current trio. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

Kfanarmy
04-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Agree on Tyus coming back for a second year if Duke doesn't break through to the F4 largely on the merits of his ice cold clutch play. I have to believe Justise still goes, although probably projected in the 6-12 range (maybe the third/fourth wing in the draft behind Johnson and Ouebre Jr., and perhaps a Euro wing), rather than the 4-6 range. But, exactly as FDD mentioned, I'd still think it would be a sensible move for Oak and Justise, and I'd continue to (casually, like all my NBA fandom) pull for them to succeed at the highest level.

While certainly hoping for these kids to come back, the pragmatist in me knows there's no bad choice staying or going to collect your cheddar.

Absolutely. I grudgingly (NBA)*!&^*) agree. Right with you on Justise...guess my point was that there's more of a chance he stays without the exceptional tourney performance...his decision is probably more complicated if he's projected later in the first round.

dukelifer
04-16-2015, 04:46 PM

I am also not so sure they all go -particularly Tyus. Up until that point- he had hit a bit of a Freshman Wall. Before Utah- his prior 4 games were 7,10,10, and 6 pts.

SupaDave
04-16-2015, 06:02 PM

Gotta take it one game at a time. Imagine how Semi and Alex feel... I've got a less sympathy if you jump ship. Otherwise I still love Stone Cold Austin Rivers for the pure joy of the dagger that is hard to replace.

They swept UNC, stayed in the top 10 all year, had a great run to the end the season and just in case I was on the fence - they won me a chip.

Safe to say these guys are gold in my book.

MCFinARL
04-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Great question. Seems like some of the people who were singing the Duke-shouldn't-recruit-OADs-anymore song after a sample size of 2 proved we couldn't get out of the first round with such players are now singing a very different song.

I haven't gone back to match quotes, but it also seems like some of the people who claimed they'd never view Austin and Jabari as "true" Blue Devils feel differently about the current trio. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes:

Well, sure, and you could call this inconsistency or even, if you wanted to be snide about it, hypocrisy. But--taking the optimist's view--you could also speculate that we learned something new from experience. :D

gus
04-17-2015, 11:57 AM

Well, I was never one to opine on who a "true" Blue Devil is, but there's nothing wrong with fans having a greater affinity for the OAD players who won a championship over ones that got knocked out early or in the first round, or for having a greater affinity for players who played multiple years over the OADs.

Duvall
04-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Well, sure, and you could call this inconsistency or even, if you wanted to be snide about it, hypocrisy. But--taking the optimist's view--you could also speculate that we learned something new from experience. :D

We could say that. It wouldn't be true - people's attitudes would be very different if Utah had bounced in a couple more threes, even though the Duke team would be exactly the same - but we could say it nonetheless.

yancem
04-17-2015, 02:09 PM
We could say that. It wouldn't be true - people's attitudes would be very different if Utah had bounced in a couple more threes, even though the Duke team would be exactly the same - but we could say it nonetheless.

I'm not sure that this is entirely accurate. Sure winning cures most ills but I think the attitude toward Okafor/Jones/Winslow is more than just winning. In 2012, the team pretty obviously suffered from some chemistry issues. Rightly or wrongly, Rivers' appeared to be at the center of those issues. Now I would argue that the blame falls as much at the feet of the upper classmen who didn't embrace Rivers and his talents as much as Rivers for not working hard enough to blend in with the rest of the team. I think that some of the older players were jealous of Rivers' talent or resented his position on the team, neither of which are necessarily his fault but was certainly an issue. This detracted from both Rivers and the team as a whole. In 2014, there were similar chemistry issues. The cause of these issues were less obvious but never the less present. While Parker seemed to truly "unpack" and incorporate into the team, the togetherness wasn't overtly visible and the lack of defense was frustrating to watch. Again, I don't think that Parker was to blame but he was the face of the team so he ended up getting the brunt of the criticism.

This year was completely different and I think that Cook deserves ton of credit for setting the table for accepting the freshman and the freshman deserve kudos for deferring to Cook even though they were all more talented. 2015 Duke embodied the word "team" and I think that had as much of a positive effect on feelings toward the freshman as the actual winning. I would also mention that the Sulaimon dismissal may have been equally as important. The team really seemed to really come together after Sulaimon left the team (not to say he was the issue as much as maybe his loss was a catalysis). A final point that may have been in Okafor/Jones/Winslow's favor is the fact that there were 3 of them not just 1.