PDA

View Full Version : Your Top Ten Songs

fuse
04-14-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm not looking to start a debate on top songs of all time or anything that serious.

You can only listen to ten songs- which ten would they be? Bonus points for why.

Use whatever filter helps you narrow down your list. :-)

10. LL Cool J, Mama Said Knock You Out. My first rap album.
9. Sailing, Christopher Cross. Great vacation memories.
8. Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Simply one of the greatest songs of all time.
7. Dirty Diana, Michael Jackson. For the guitar solo. Could have easily been Thriller, Smooth Criminal, or most of the Jackson 5 catalog.
6. Tusk, Fleetwood Mac. Drums, drums, drums!
5. If you don't know me by now, Simply Red. First dance wedding song.
4. Rough Night in Jericho, Dreams So Real. Freshman hallmate in Southgate introduced me to Dreams So Real and Drivin n Cryin.
3. Running Down a Dream, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Family vacation turned this classic album into great memories.
2. Wanted Dead or Alive, Bon Jovi.
1. Behind Blue Eyes, The Who. The first Who song I ever listened to, still resonates today. Super excited about their concert in Raleigh next week.

I tried hard not to over-think this as I could easily have drawn this out to a top 100 list. I'm sure I will re-read this and revise it in my head over and again.

I look forward to seeing what others come up with. Have fun!

mattman91
04-14-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm not looking to start a debate on top songs of all time or anything that serious.

You can only listen to ten songs- which ten would they be? Bonus points for why.

Use whatever filter helps you narrow down your list. :-)

10. LL Cool J, Mama Said Knock You Out. My first rap album.
9. Sailing, Christopher Cross. Great vacation memories.
8. Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Simply one of the greatest songs of all time.
7. Dirty Diana, Michael Jackson. For the guitar solo. Could have easily been Thriller, Smooth Criminal, or most of the Jackson 5 catalog.
6. Tusk, Fleetwood Mac. Drums, drums, drums!
5. If you don't know me by now, Simply Red. First dance wedding song.
4. Rough Night in Jericho, Dreams So Real. Freshman hallmate in Southgate introduced me to Dreams So Real and Drivin n Cryin.
3. Running Down a Dream, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Family vacation turned this classic album into great memories.
2. Wanted Dead or Alive, Bon Jovi.
1. Behind Blue Eyes, The Who. The first Who song I ever listened to, still resonates today. Super excited about their concert in Raleigh next week.

I tried hard not to over-think this as I could easily have drawn this out to a top 100 list. I'm sure I will re-read this and revise it in my head over and again.

I look forward to seeing what others come up with. Have fun!

Very interesting Thread!

I will have to spend some time thinking about my list as I have a vast range of genres that I enjoy. May do this tonight as I sip on one of the Pisgah Vortex ll's Ricks68 picked up for me. Surprised to see LL Cool J on your list :cool:

OldPhiKap
04-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Please ignore that I will probably have several favorite ten's. My iTunes library is literally over 200 gigs.

I enjoy music. A lot.

OldPhiKap
04-14-2015, 08:43 PM
OK. First try:

1. Won't Get Fooled Again -- The Who
2. Gimme Shelter -- Rolling Stones
3. Feelin' Alright -- Traffic (but going with Joe Cocker version)
4. Magnificent Seven -- The Clash
5. The Thrill is Gone -- B.B. King
6. Sultans of Swing -- Dire Straits
7. Lawyers, Guns and Money -- Warren Zevon
8. Choctaw Bingo -- James McMurtry
9. Jack Straw -- Grateful Dead (post-'82 versions)
10. Take Five -- Dave Brubeck

fuse
04-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Please ignore that I will probably have several favorite ten's. My iTunes library is literally over 200 gigs.

I enjoy music. A lot.

Several favorite tens is ok :-)

I may contribute more than once. I just thought it might be fun and an opportunity to discover both music in common and music that is new to me.

If I had put one of my fraternity brother's bands Sade's Realm "Wise Norlina" as a favorite, no one would have any idea what I am talking about, unless you pay attention to exits crossing into NC on I-85 from Virginia.

-jk
04-14-2015, 08:52 PM
OK. First try:

No Donna the Buffalo? <teenage "whatever..."> :)

-jk

OldPhiKap
04-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Several favorite tens is ok :-)

I may contribute more than once. I just thought it might be fun and an opportunity to discover both music in common and music that is new to me.

If I had put one of my fraternity brother's bands Sade's Realm "Wise Norlina" as a favorite, no one would have any idea what I am talking about, unless you pay attention to exits crossing into NC on I-85 from Virginia.

Enjoy the Who show. Chase seen them three or four times, way back. Long Live Rock . . . .

duke74
04-14-2015, 09:06 PM
In no particular order

1. Canadian Railroad Trilogy - Gordon Lightfoot. Got introduced to him my senior year at Duke from a friend also in the geology dept.
2. The Boxer - S&G. Two Forest Hills boys...of course. And my favorite of all time.
3. America - Ditto
4. I Don't Want to Talk about it- Everything but the Girl. Great in a number of genres-maybe my second favorite...but closing in on S&G.
5. Tougher than the Rest -Ditto
6. Here with Me - Dido - featured in my favorite movie - Love Actually
7. While my Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles. No explanation needed
8. Midnight Confessions- Grass Roots. Memories of growing up in the 60s
9. Central Reservation - Beth Orton. Wonderful artist, saw her last year in NYC
10. ANYTHING by Imogen Heap (as a single or with Frou Frou). Incredibly innovative, clever and artistic. (I know, I'm cheating - if I had to ock one - "Half Life")

duke74
04-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Enjoy the Who show. Chase seen them three or four times, way back. Long Live Rock . . . .

Seeing them in the refurbished West Side Tennis Club stadium in Forest Hills on May 30th. (Former home of the U.S. Tennis Open)

fuse
04-14-2015, 09:25 PM
OK. First try:

Making me feel like I need to review my list already.
Not sure what I would take off to include:

Dire Straits Money For Nothing
Spencer Davis Project Gimme Some Lovin
Chaka Khan I Feel For You

Have also randomly heard Paul Simon 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover three times in the past week after probably not having heard it in decades. Likely means there is some Simon and Garfunkel missing from my list, too (among others).

Maybe I should have titled this thread, Ymmmm, Songs! ;-)

devildeac
04-14-2015, 09:46 PM
This is pretty funny/ironic, fuse. I might challenge you on another thread for your ten "favorites";).

In no particular order, except #1:

Sing, Sing, Sing-Benny Goodman (this absolutely rocks and we love to dance to it)
Thunder Road (acoustic; haunting)-Bruce Springsteen (I'm a Jersey boy; story of my late teen years)
Won't Get Fooled Again-The Who (this song rocks almost as much as Sing, Sing, Sing)
Angry Young Man-Billy Joel (another chapter from my youth but I don't plan on being an angry old man)
Sympathy for the Devil-The Rolling Stones (history; quoted from this for my younger daughter's surprise wedding guest/dance partner)
Devil with the Blue Dress-Shorty Long (original Motown version)
Devil with the Blue Dress-Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
Devil with the Blue Dress (live)-Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Devil with the Blue Dress-DUMB (our younger daughter danced to this for 3 years when she cheered)
American Pie-Don McLean (a "history" of R&R)

There's sort of a theme here.

This is likely going to change/have some additions in 30 minutes. Or less.

OldPhiKap
04-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Seeing them in the refurbished West Side Tennis Club stadium in Forest Hills on May 30th. (Former home of the U.S. Tennis Open)

First real concert was the Who and the Clash at Shea in Flushing. Hearing never recovered. Don't care.

killerleft
04-14-2015, 10:14 PM
Americana list:

1. Leaving Eden, Carolina Chocolate Drops (internet live version at the Ryman is goosebumpy!)
2. Up on the Divide, Martha Scanlan
3. Boundary County, Eilen Jewell
4. Summertime, Doc & Merle Watson
5. Fast Car, Tracy Chapman
6. Carolina in My Mind, Alison Krauss & Jerry Douglas
7. Annabel, The Duhks (Jessee Havey)
8. Battle of New Orleans, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Symphonian Dream version
9. Tennessee, Gillian Welch
10. Central Time, Pokey Lafarge

Naming a top ten is impossible. These are some fine musicians and vocalists, though. I've seen them all in person save Tracy Chapman.

devildeac
04-14-2015, 10:22 PM
First real concert was the Who and the Clash at Shea in Flushing. Hearing never recovered. Don't care.

Ehh, what was that again, sonny?

The Who and Lynyrd Skynyrd at The Landover/CapitalCenter, December 6, 1973:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/1973/capital-centre-landover-md-33d65cad.html

devildeac
04-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Second ten, once again, in no particular order:

It Won't Be This Way for Long-Darius Rucker (father-older daughter wedding dance song; wipes tears from eyes)
Dancin' in the Dark-Bruce Springsteen (wedding dance song with Mrs. dd)
Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch (I Can't Help Myself)-The Four Tops (another wedding dance song with Mrs. dd)
Cinderella-Steven Curtis Chapman (my younger daughter wanted to learn the Viennese Waltz for the father-daughter wedding dance)
Sharp Dressed Man-ZZ Top (I most certainly was as I danced with Mrs. dd at our younger daughter's wedding)
Who Loves You-Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons (yep, another wedding dance song with Mrs. dd)
My Girl-The Temptations (part of a medley father/daughter dance with our younger daughter at her wedding)
The Boxer-Simon and Garfunkel (on SNL for the first show after 9/11; chilling)
Roll Over Beethoven-Electric Light Orchestra (better than Chuck Berry and better than The Beatles; rocks almost as much as Sing, Sing, Sing)
Zoot Suit Riot-Cherry Poppin' Daddies (another favorite big band revival dance song with Mrs. dd)

flagellaman
04-14-2015, 10:56 PM
I don't really have a true top ten. If you ask me to name my top ten a year from now, you'll probably get a different list.

But for now, I will go with this top ten - spans multiple genres.

1. Are You Going With Me - Pat Metheny Group - Definitely all time favorite piece. Heard it on a radio station in Augusta, Georgia in the mid-1980's and it got me listening to jazz music.
2. Hotel California - Eagles - Love the lyrics, can't quite place the mix of chords progressions, but has some spanish flavors to it.
3. Scottish Fantasy - Max Bruch - Coincidently my father's favorite classical piece - he played it so much I came to enjoy it immensely. Hauntingly sad.
4. Your Latest Trick - Dire Straits - Lots of Dire Strait music I love, but this piece just tops it all - can't explain why. Might be that it's not one of the many well-known pieces by DS.
5. Basie - Straight Ahead - Count Basie & His Orchestra - classic chart that many high school jazz bands play. Grown to love the rhythm and the fact that in a typical 18-piece jazz band, you can pick out the sounds of the sax lines, the trombones, the horns, and the rhythm section clearly.
6. The Girl From Ipanema - Antonio Carlos Jobim - can't really explain why this is on my list today other than it is classic Jobim.
7. Mirador - Clay Giberson - one of the first "hits" of my nephew's career. Giberson is a jazz pianist - one of the best in the Pacific Northwest....so some favoritism, but he's a composer and that's what makes him stand out from the many musicians who can play the heck out of any piece.
8. South Side Midnight Lady - Doobie Brothers - similar to Stairway To Heaven, Beth, Freebird, and other rock group's best ballad piece, this one from the Doobies just stands out to me that is so different than most of their other pieces. A year from now, STH or Beth or Freebird might replace SSML in the list.
9. Deacon Blues - Steely Dan - this piece and Doctor Wu, Here At The Western Front, and Haitian Divorce are to me to classic sounds of Steely Dan. I like their top ten hits and all, but these pieces are much superior.
10. Defying Gravity - Idina Menzel - Got hooked on Broadway music when my daughter started liking Broadway tunes. Saw the musical Wicked performed during a traveling tour and this piece made me tear up big time.

snowdenscold
04-14-2015, 11:05 PM
I'll come back to modern songs later hopefully (Cranberries - Dreams and several U2 songs will definitely make the list), but for now I'll go a different route: If I was stuck on a desert island and could only take 10 works of classical music w/ me...

In alphabetical order:

Bach - Partita # 2 (for the Chaconne)
Barber - Adagio for Strings
Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra
Beethoven - Symphony 6
Beethoven - Symphony 7
Beethoven - Symphony 9
Copland - Appalachian Spring
Dvorak - Symphony 9
Respighi - Pines of Rome
Vaughn Williams - Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus
Vivaldi - Four Seasons

Oh that's 11 you say? Well Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Brahms, etc. already all ended up (tragically) on the cutting room floor. I couldn't even squeeze in a piano work. Don't make me cut it further to 10!

moonpie23
04-14-2015, 11:11 PM
wow....some really interesting picks here......:cool:

Olympic Fan
04-14-2015, 11:32 PM
Great topic. I'm like flagellaman -- my list fluctuates according to my mood.

But here's my list as it stands today (this hour). Keep in mind I'm an old fart and prefer music from the '60s and '70s to the new stuff.

In Letterman fashion

10. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, Hank Williams (the saddest song every written ... for when I want to wallow in self-pity, like after a loss in the NCAA Tournament)
9. Miss Grace, The Tymes (I love Beach Music and this is my favorite Beach song -- just ahead of Doug Clark's If You want to Be Happy for the Rest of Your Life)
8. Blitzkrieg Bop, The Ramones (just pure Rock without any pretentions)
7. Piece of My Heart, Janis Joplin (a very personal reason for this one)
6. The Times They Are a Changing, Bob Dylan (could have a dozen Dylan songs, but this is my favorite)
5. Bridge over Troubled Waters, Simon & Garfinkel (Heard this one in concert at Cameron ... at the time S&G had not released it. They used it to close their concert and hearing it live for the first time, it blew me away)
4. School Days, Chuck Berry (I once had a cassette tape of Chuck doing this one live, until I wore it out; luckily I found a digital version)
3. You Are Loved (Don't Give Up), Josh Grogan (no reason, just a great song by a great voice)
2. You're So London, Julie Andrews and Carol Burnett (I saw this when I was a kid on live TV ... about three years ago, I found it on line ... one of the great comic duets ever)
1. Gloria, Patti Smith (Opens with the best line ever written for a rock and roll song: Jesus Died For Somebody's Sins, but Not Mine ... the slow build up to the crescendo is perfection)

I can see I left out all my Motown favorites ... no Slade or Clash ... no Jessie's Girl?? ... no Bowling for Soup? ... and I know it's a cliché, but when Journey does "Don't Stop Believing" I get goosebumps

CoBlueDevil
04-15-2015, 01:26 AM
Love this thread. Great idea. In no particular order either:

1. Jungleland -- Bruce Springsteen. My dad grew up in Jersey and passed along his love of Bruce to me.
2. T.B. Sheets -- Van Morrison. So incredibly soulful! Van the Man.
3. Say It Ain't So -- Weezer. Brings me back to high school and great memories.
4. The Boxer -- Simon & Garfunkel. Such a beautiful song!
5. A Pirate Looks At Forty -- Buffett. I am a big Parrot Head and this was one of this first Buffett songs I fell in love with.
6. Trouble -- Coldplay. Have always been a fan of Coldplay. One of many that are great.
7. Chicago, Djohariah, etc... -- Sufjan Stevens. Pretty much anything Sufjan. You can't go wrong.
8. Saeglopur -- Sigur Ros. Icelandic band. I don't understand any of the words but they are amazing. Really powerful music.
9. More Than A Feeling -- Boston. Pure nostalgia. Love this song.
10. Ms. Jackson -- Outkast. Obligatory rap song. I am a big rap/hip hop fan and this is one of my all time favorites.

Bonus: The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows, Degausser, Seventy Times 7 -- Brand New. Just so good!

There are many more but those are some my favorites.

gumbomoop
04-15-2015, 03:14 AM
Some favorite comedic stuff from a funny guy. No particular order for these. Nowhere near comprehensive, so additions welcome. Some of these are sly/clever, others giggly, some are biting, others gentle. Many require the listener to picture the scene in the mind's eye.

Black Diamond Bay -- Especially the scene where the woman cries, "There's danger near" as the Greek commits suicide.

Idiot Wind -- For such a bitter song, it opens with the story about the narrator being hounded by the press, taking some guy's wife to Italy, inheritance, and the absolutely hilarious punch line: "I can't help it if I'm lucky."

Queen Jane Approximately -- "Now when all of the bandits that you turned your other cheek to, All lay down their bandanas and complain." Just picture that scene. Picture it.

Highway 61 Revisited -- most of it; God telling Abraham he better run; 5th daughter, 12th night, 2d mother, 7th son; gambler finds promoter to promote next world war ("But yes I think it can be very easily done").

Love Minus Zero/No Limit -- Near end of beautiful love song, this biting note: "Bankers' nieces seek perfection, expecting all the gifts that wise men bring."

Tombstone Blues -- rhyming "boys in," 4 lines later, with "poison."

The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest -- The setup to the punchline: "It's not a house, it's a home"; and the punchline: "And don't go mistaking Paradise, For that home across the road."

Drifter's Escape -- Deus ex machina, I think, to allow the drifter to escape.

Went to See the Gypsy -- "He did it in Las Vegas, And he can do it here." I'm guessing the gypsy spent considerable time in "little Minnesota towns," not so much in Vegas.

Clothes Line Saga -- "Are those clothes yours?" "Some of 'em, not all of 'em." "Ya always help out around here with the chores?" "Sometime, not all the time." Saga, indeed.

Liner notes to album, John Wesley Harding -- the story of Frank and the three kings, especially Frank calling their bluff: "And just how far would you like to go in?" "Not too far, but just far enough so's we can say that we've been there."

gumbomoop
04-15-2015, 04:20 AM
Iris DeMent, Wasteland of the Free
Caroline Herring, Mortified
Donna the Buffalo - dozens, too many to name; I generally prefer Tara's to Jeb's
James McMurtry, We Can't Make It (Anymore); Levelland
Big Daddy Bluegrass Band, Kind Veggie Burrito
Tift Merritt, Trouble Over Me
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Home
Levon Helm, Tennessee Jed (I like Levon's version better than the Grateful Dead original)
Jazz Is Dead, Row Jimmy (incredible instrumental take); also The Decemberists' version
Allison Krauss, Ghost in This House
Jerry Douglas, For Those Who've Gone Clear
Maura O'Connell, Helpless Heart
Peter Rowan, The Free Mexican Airforce
Los Lobos, Reva's House; One Time One Night; Will the Wolf Survive?
Heartless Bastards (Erika Wennerstrom), Parted Ways
Joe Ely, Gallo Del Cielo
Louis Armstrong, West End Blues

Hundreds more ........

accfanfrom1970
04-15-2015, 05:24 AM
If it's only 10 I really keep going back to the classics and classic performers -

Jungleland - Grew up in NJ (Toms River).....and on Springsteen and Southside
Layla - live and not acoustic
Kasmir - LZ, comes on the radio and just have to turn it up. Even the later live version still sounds great.
Gimmie Shelter - Stones, Sympathy for the Devil a close 2nd.
Love, Reign o'er Me - Who, but like the Eddie Vedder version more, Baba O'Riley a close 2nd.
Revolution - have to have something from the Beatles. Let it Be next?
All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix
Alleluia - Cohen
The Rising - Bruce again, when your daughter gets into Bruce after you grew up with him - and this album did it for her.....have to listen again and again. Post 9-11
memories, along with My City's in Ruins.

#10 can't decide AC/DC, maybe Guns and Roses, someone up thread mentioned Boston....all favorites. I'll go with the obscure but still NJ related,
Forever - Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul....Southside also does an good version.

YmoBeThere
04-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Springsteen - Racing in the Streets
Guns and Roses - Sweet Child of Mine
Metallica - One
Louis Armstrong - La Vie En Rose
Better Midler - The Rose
Van Morrison - Moondance
Roy Orbison - Pretty Woman
The Police - Every Little Thing She Does is Magic
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Robert Plant - Ship of Fools

Bonus Pick: Young MC - Bust a Move or Biz Markie - Just a Friend

On a different day, this list would change.

fuse
04-15-2015, 07:15 AM
I'll come back to modern songs later hopefully (Cranberries - Dreams and several U2 songs will definitely make the list), but for now I'll go a different route: If I was stuck on a desert island and could only take 10 works of classical music w/ me...

In alphabetical order:

Beethoven - Symphony 6
Beethoven - Symphony 7
Beethoven - Symphony 9
Dvorak - Symphony 9
Respighi - Pines of Rome
Vivaldi - Four Seasons

Oh that's 11 you say? Well Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Brahms, etc. already all ended up (tragically) on the cutting room floor. I couldn't even squeeze in a piano work. Don't make me cut it further to 10!

My classical list would start with Ravel's Bolero, and include Mozart's Requiem.
Still can't get Tom Hulce from Animal House out of my head playing the part of Mozart.

NashvilleDevil
04-15-2015, 07:56 AM
What an outstanding thread and I can see this having some legs since many of us will change our list daily. Here is my 1.0 version.

1. A Quick One While He's Away (from The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus) - The Who
2. Bring It On Home to Me - Sam Cooke
3. Ticket to Ride - The Beatles
4. When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
5. Rudie Can't Fail - The Clash
6. Tumbling Dice - The Rolling Stones
7. Sad Mood - Sam Cooke
8. Up On Cripple Creek - The Band
9. The Way You Do The Things You Do - The Temptations
10. My Mind Is Playing Tricks on Me - The Geto Boys

GDT
04-15-2015, 09:06 AM
1. Good-Bye Pork Pie Hat - John McLaughlin (bootleg, Munich '72)
Maybe it's wrong not to choose Mingus' original but as a guitar player I will never not be humbled and amazed at McLaughlin and how he lets the silences breathe.
2. The Way Young Lovers Do - Van Morrison (Astral Weeks)
The horns and strings fighting for control of the song until Van takes i for himself always gets me.
3. Didn't Feel Lonely 'Till I Thought Of You - Kevin Ayers (bootleg, Manchester '74)
This is mostly because of Ollie Halsall's guitar playing.
4. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones (Let It Bleed)
Transcendent song, just like Patti's Smith's Gloria which would have been on this list if someone hadn't already picked it.
5. Crosseyed and Painless - Talking Heads (Remain in Light)
Need something to dance to.
6. Panic Pure - Vic Chesnutt (West of Rome)
"Jigsaw disposition" - great song.
7. Airborne - Wussy (Funeral Dress)
Another song that always get me moving.
8. Autumn Is Your Last Chance - Robyn Hitchcock (I Often Dream of Trains)
Favorite song from favorite album from favorite songwriter. No brainer.
9. I'll Come Running - Brian Eno (Another Green World)
My favorite albums are probably the one above, Veedon Fleece, and this so I needed one from it.
10. Bel Air - Can (Future Days)
Something to relax to.

killerleft
04-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Donna the Buffalo - dozens, too many to name; I generally prefer Tara's to Jeb's
Levon Helm, Tennessee Jed (I like Levon's version better than the Grateful Dead original)
Jazz Is Dead, Row Jimmy (incredible instrumental take); also The Decemberists' version
Joe Ely, Gallo Del Cielo

Hundreds more ........

Great list! Don't get me started on all the younger artists in this genre, there is such a wealth of talent out there. I'll see Jerry, Peter,and Donna the Buffalo next week at Merlefest. Really looking forward to The Avett Brothers. Iris DeMent is a national treasure. Her unique voice and flawless delivery...

DukeandMdFan
04-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Rush, Rush - Paula Abdul - My Wedding Song

Summertime - WIll Smith and Dj Jazzy Jeff - Great summer song when my wife and I started dating

One Shinging Moment - Luther Vandross - Awesome memories; (I also considered also having theme song to This Week In Baseball)

Roof is Leaking - Phil Collins - I listened to a lot of Phil in college

Misunderstanding - Genesis - I listened to a lot of Genesis in college

I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas - Popular when my kids were a great age. Heard at Yankee Stadium when taking my wife, kids, and Dad to Game 6 of WS

Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z and Alicia Keys - same as above; family at Yankee Stadium

Love Takes Over - David Guetta (featuring Alicia Keys) - video has bird flying behind the sun; hear at the gym

Foregiveness - Toby Mac - Christian Song; I like the message

Little Drummer Boy - My favorite Christamas Song, and my wife's favorite

davekay1971
04-15-2015, 04:44 PM
The first favorite ten that pop into mind...I may reconsider later!

1) Thunderstruck - AC/DC - I can listen to this song, at high volume, at any time and be happy
2) Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd - same thing, although not quite such high volume
3) When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
4) Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
5) Nightshift - Commodores
6) Hey Pretty Girl - Kip Moore - just perfectly encapsulates the way I feel about my wife
7) Sabotage - Beastie Boys
8) Train, Train - Blackfoot
9) Bring Tha Noise - Public Enemy and Anthrax - best rock/rap combo IM(h)O, superior to the Aerosmith/Run-DMC collaboration (Walk this Way) that introduced the concept
10) Lord of the Dance - hymn - I sing this to my 2 year old at her request every night when I put her to bed.

Lots of others to consider, but that's probably a sampling of 8 songs that I can listen to again and again, and two that have special meaning for me.

weezie
04-15-2015, 05:21 PM
OK. First try:

So, can we assume this is your "oldest" fav top ten, now moving on into more recent centuries? :cool:

GDT
04-15-2015, 05:34 PM
I couldn't even squeeze in a piano work. Don't make me cut it further to 10!

I like that list. I wanted to put some Satie on my list but you really need a whole disc, not just one song to get bang for your buck. I'd also add Reich's 18 Musicians because it never sounds the same to me twice and maybe one of the Disintegration Loops.

GDT
04-15-2015, 05:38 PM
1. Gloria, Patti Smith (Opens with the best line ever written for a rock and roll song: Jesus Died For Somebody's Sins, but Not Mine ... the slow build up to the crescendo is perfection)

It's one song that I can't possibly imaging any of the musicians sitting down in the studio to record (I guess other than Jay Dee Dougherty). It just has that vitality.

CameronBornAndBred
04-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Given that this list would be impossible to make, I'll give a list of 10 songs that could be on a list of any day of the week, knowing that the next day would be totally different.

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Three Days - Jane's AddictionAenima - Tool
Stayin' Alive - BeeGees
So What Cha Want - Beastie Boys
Row Jimmy (saw this posted above, but I have too many fond memories of a live Dead version)
Exodus - Bob Marley
Biko - Peter Gabriel
Rez - Underworld
Poncho & Lefty - Willie and Merle

fuse
04-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Rush, Rush - Paula Abdul - My Wedding Song

Summertime - WIll Smith and Dj Jazzy Jeff - Great summer song when my wife and I started dating

One Shinging Moment - Luther Vandross - Awesome memories; (I also considered also having theme song to This Week In Baseball)

Roof is Leaking - Phil Collins - I listened to a lot of Phil in college

Misunderstanding - Genesis - I listened to a lot of Genesis in college

I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas - Popular when my kids were a great age. Heard at Yankee Stadium when taking my wife, kids, and Dad to Game 6 of WS

Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z and Alicia Keys - same as above; family at Yankee Stadium

Love Takes Over - David Guetta (featuring Alicia Keys) - video has bird flying behind the sun; hear at the gym

Foregiveness - Toby Mac - Christian Song; I like the message

Little Drummer Boy - My favorite Christamas Song, and my wife's favorite

Leaving Genesis, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel off my list hurts a bit after reading your list.

Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes, Sledgehammer
Phil Collins - take a look at me now
Genesis - tonight, tonight, tonight

Honestly almost any song from the above artists are a win for me.

rasputin
04-15-2015, 06:28 PM
A Day in the Life (Beatles)
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant (Billy Joel)
RESPECT (the Aretha Franklin version of course)
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2 (Pink Floyd)
Home At Last (Steely Dan)
In My Life (Beatles)
Paradise (John Prine)
Ball of Confusion (Temptations)
Madman Across the Water (Elton John)
Tapestry (Carole King)

rasputin
04-15-2015, 06:46 PM

In alphabetical order:

Beethoven - Symphony 6
Beethoven - Symphony 7
Beethoven - Symphony 9
Dvorak - Symphony 9
Respighi - Pines of Rome
Vivaldi - Four Seasons

Okay, I'll bite:
Stravinsky, The Rite of Spring
Beethoven, Symphony 7
Shostakovich, Symphony 11 (yes I really meant 11, not 10)
Orff, Carmina Burana
Moussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition
Respighi, The Pines of Rome
Holst, The Planets
Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique
Ravel, Bolero
Beethoven, Symphony 9

For good measure, I'll toss in a couple of late 20th-century pieces:
The Four Sections (Steve Reich)
Blackberry Winter (Conni Ellisor)

OldPhiKap
04-15-2015, 06:50 PM
So, can we assume this is your "oldest" fav top ten, now moving on into more recent centuries? :cool:

Far from my oldest, but I was thinking of doing a top ten of songs since leaving college.

Tangent -- I heard "Gun Street Girl" on satellite radio today (Tom Waits) -- I had an obsession with that song for about three months. Studio version, not live (which is not good and totally redone). No idea why that song grabs me, maybe the illiteration and vivid images of a fractured and vaguely menacing story I guess.

http://youtu.be/l4XZWZ91kfc

Falling James in the Tahoe mud
Stick around to tell us all the tale
Well he fell in love with a Gun Street girl
And now he's dancing in the Birmingham jail
Dancing in the Birmingham jail

He took a hundred dollars off a slaughterhouse Joe
Brought a brand new Michigan twenty-gauge
He got all liquored up on that road house corn
Blew a hole in the hood of a yellow Corvette
A hole in the hood of a yellow Corvette

He bought a second-hand Nova from a Cuban Chinese
And dyed his hair in the bathroom of a Texaco
With a pawnshop radio, quarter past four
He left for Waukegan at the slamming of the door
Left for Waukegan at the slamming of the door

I said John, John, he's long gone
Gone to Indiana, ain't never coming home

He's sitting in a sycamore in St. John's wood
Soaking day-old bread in kerosene
Well he was blue as a robin's egg and brown as a hog
He's staying out of circulation 'til the dogs get tired
Out of circulation 'til the dogs get tired

Shadow fixed the toilet with an old trombone
He never get up in the morning on a Saturday
Sitting by the Erie with a bull-whipped dog
Telling everyone he saw, They went that-a-way, boys
Telling everyone he saw, They went that-a-way

Now the rain's like gravel on an old tin roof
And the Burlington Northern pulling out of the world
Now a head full of bourbon and a dream in the straw
And a Gun Street girl was the cause of it all
A Gun Street girl was the cause of it all

Well he's riding in the shadow by the St. Joe ridge
Hearing the click-clack tapping of a blind man's cane
He was pulling into Baker on a New Year's Eve
One eye on a pistol and the other on the door
One eye on a pistol and the other on the door

Miss Charlotte took her satchel down to King Fish Row
Smuggled in a brand new pair of alligator shoes
With her fireman's raincoat and her long yellow hair
Well they tied her to a tree with a skinny millionaire
They tied her to a tree with a skinny millionaire

Banging on the table with an old tin cup
Sing I'll never kiss a Gun Street girl again
Never kiss a Gun Street girl again
I'll never kiss a Gun Street girl again

Olympic Fan
04-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Some favorite comedic stuff

I thought about comic songs when I made my first list. I LOVE comic songs ... of course, there are comic songs and songs that have comic videos -- if you've ever seen the video of Bette Midler's Beast of Burden (with Mick Jagger as her boyfriend in the video) it's a riot, but the song itself is not funny.

But here's my list of the top 10 comic songs from my lifetime:

10. Basketball Jones, Cheech and Chong ... they do a whole comedy routine on their album, but the song itself is great
9. I'm Going to Miss Her (the Fishing Song), Brad Paisley ... I also like his Celebrity, but the video is funnier than the song
8. Everything I do (I do with William Shatner), Warp 11 ... I'm an unabashed Trekkie and this one has me rolling in the aisles
7. The Saga Begins, Weird Al Yankovic ... I know Eat It was his biggest hit, but I like this one, a Star Wars riff on Mclean's American Pie
6. Short People, Randy Newman ... amazed that people actually got upset about this
5. 1985, Bowling for Soup ... the best of many BforS comic masterpieces. I also love Emily, but again, the video is funnier than the song
4. I think I Can Beat Mike Tyson, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince ... can't believe they got Iron Mike for the video
3. Stacy's Mom, Fountains of Wayne ... again, the video is awesome
2. Scottie Doesn't Know, Lustra ... we talked about this in another thread. Funny as hell, plus it rocks
1. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, Monty Python and company (including George Harrison) ... the most morally uplifting song of my lifetime -- the comic equivalent Handel's Messiah

I was thinking ... on my favorite list, I included Hank Williams' I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry and cited it as the saddest song ever written. This is the opposite. I listen to Lonesome when I want to wallow in my depression ... I listen to Bright Side when I want to get out of my funk.

fuse
04-15-2015, 07:07 PM
A Day in the Life (Beatles)
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant (Billy Joel)
RESPECT (the Aretha Franklin version of course)
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2 (Pink Floyd)
Home At Last (Steely Dan)
In My Life (Beatles)
Paradise (John Prine)
Ball of Confusion (Temptations)
Madman Across the Water (Elton John)
Tapestry (Carole King)

Second Steely Dan citation in the thread. Pretty sure I could listen to Aja (the album) on auto-repeat almost forever.

fuse
04-15-2015, 07:09 PM
I thought about comic songs when I made my first list. I LOVE comic songs ... of course, there are comic songs and songs that have comic videos -- if you've ever seen the video of Bette Midler's Beast of Burden (with Mick Jagger as her boyfriend in the video) it's a riot, but the song itself is not funny.

But here's my list of the top 10 comic songs from my lifetime:

10. Basketball Jones, Cheech and Chong ... they do a whole comedy routine on their album, but the song itself is great
9. I'm Going to Miss Her (the Fishing Song), Brad Paisley ... I also like his Celebrity, but the video is funnier than the song
8. Everything I do (I do with William Shatner), Warp 11 ... I'm an unabashed Trekkie and this one has me rolling in the aisles
7. The Saga Begins, Weird Al Yankovic ... I know Eat It was his biggest hit, but I like this one, a Star Wars riff on Mclean's American Pie
6. Short People, Randy Newman ... amazed that people actually got upset about this
5. 1985, Bowling for Soup ... the best of many BforS comic masterpieces. I also love Emily, but again, the video is funnier than the song
4. I think I Can Beat Mike Tyson, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince ... can't believe they got Iron Mike for the video
3. Stacy's Mom, Fountains of Wayne ... again, the video is awesome
2. Scottie Doesn't Know, Lustra ... we talked about this in another thread. Funny as hell, plus it rocks
1. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, Monty Python and company (including George Harrison) ... the most morally uplifting song of my lifetime -- the comic equivalent Handel's Messiah

I was thinking ... on my favorite list, I included Hank Williams' I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry and cited it as the saddest song ever written. This is the opposite. I listen to Lonesome when I want to wallow in my depression ... I listen to Bright Side when I want to get out of my funk.

I have some friends who found Short People incredibly offensive.

Great call on Fountains of Wayne and Stacy's Mom. Roll the video!

TruBlu
04-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Coast of Marseilles - Jimmy Buffett
Just One Look - Doris Troy (then the Hollies, then Linda Rhonstadt - both still good covers)
Crazy - Patsy Cline
All night Long - AC/DC
New World Symphony (No 9) - Dvorak
Train Train - Blackfoot
Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven
Fur Elise - Beethoven
I'd Love to Change the World - Ten Years After
Young Love - Sonny James

And finally, Honorable Mention: All the songs that my father and his 2 brothers would get together to play just about every Saturday night when I was a kid. My dad probably could have had a music career in C & W back then, and actually did make a (minor) record. He instead decided to be a great family man and father. I am now the proud owner of my Dad's 1939 C F Martin, Model O-17, 6 string. I wish I could do it justice. Seems that musical talent skipped my generation in the family.

fuse
04-15-2015, 07:22 PM

I enjoy music. A lot.

I took the time to do some very rough math on 200GBs of music.
I guesstimate your iTunes library is well over 60,000 songs.

Mind blown!!!

OldPhiKap
04-15-2015, 07:33 PM

Mind blown!!!

Well, you gotta figure in that I have a pretty deep Grateful Dead catalogue in there, so average time per song may be a bit longer that you are using. But yeah, I listen to music.

gumbomoop
04-15-2015, 08:05 PM
But yeah, I listen to music.

As do I and clearly the other posters on this thread, which thread I hope continues to draw list after list. In my case, I actually listen to an amazing radio station 5-6 days per week, a station that may be close to unique in its coverage of Americana, roots, blues, jazz, bluegrass, old timey, gospel, bluegrass, newgrass, Celtic, world, even some rock.

But I have a question to all of you on this thread. Hope this isn't too tangential to OP's purpose, and if I get few responses, I will understand that you're voting with your silence. The two-part question: (1a) Do you have acquaintances who seem to listen to no music at all? (1b) Do you think they're weird? (2a) Do you have acquaintances who know what a music nutter you are? (2b) Do they think you're weird?

fuse
04-15-2015, 08:24 PM
As do I and clearly the other posters on this thread, which thread I hope continues to draw list after list. In my case, I actually listen to an amazing radio station 5-6 days per week, a station that may be close to unique in its coverage of Americana, roots, blues, jazz, bluegrass, old timey, gospel, bluegrass, newgrass, Celtic, world, even some rock.

But I have a question to all of you on this thread. Hope this isn't too tangential to OP's purpose, and if I get few responses, I will understand that you're voting with your silence. The two-part question: (1a) Do you have acquaintances who seem to listen to no music at all? (1b) Do you think they're weird? (2a) Do you have acquaintances who know what a music nutter you are? (2b) Do they think you're weird?

It's all about the music!
The Stones references up thread have me re-enjoying Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil.

1a) not that I am aware of
1b) yes I would find them weird
2a) I love music but have friends who I would say are way more fringe / extreme than I am. I'd attribute that to a corollary of surround yourself with good people. I wish I were an innovative listener, I probably learn more about music from others than I contribute back.
2b) weird or not, I love passionate music people!

fuse
04-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Well, you gotta figure in that I have a pretty deep Grateful Dead catalogue in there, so average time per song may be a bit longer that you are using. But yeah, I listen to music.

I went to a Dead show in the era when Touch of Grey made them a pop phenomenon briefly.

The people watching was at least as enjoyable as the music.

Tripping William
04-15-2015, 08:28 PM
As you might expect -- between my user-name, my signature, and my avatar -- I have Dave-centric list, to be posted tomorrow. None of the songs alluded to in the aforementioned three items actually make my Top Ten, though.

OldPhiKap
04-15-2015, 08:47 PM
It's all about the music!

I thought it was all about the bass.

I went to a Dead show in the era when Touch of Grey made them a pop phenomenon briefly.

The people watching was at least as enjoyable as the music.

devildeac
04-15-2015, 09:04 PM
My wife and I have been taking ballroom (and social) dance lessons for over 7.5 years now and that has opened up yet another book for music appreciation. So, some of our favorite songs out on the ballroom floor (in no particular order):

Tango:

Pa' Bailar-Siempre Quiero Mas-Julieta Venegas y Bajofondo
Santa Maria-Gotan Project

Salsa:

Livin' La Vida Loca-Ricky Martin
Mambo Swing-Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Samba:

Bailamos-Enrique Iglesias
I Want to Be Just Like You-Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

West Coast Swing:

Promiscuous-Nelly Furtado and Timbaland
Rolling in the Deep-Adele

East Coast Swing:

Pink Cadillac-Bruce Springsteen
Bad Things-Jace Everett

Cha Cha:

Smooth-Rob Thomas and Santana
Sway-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.cat Dolls (now this is pretty funny-maybe I should have posted the Dean Martin or Michael Buble versions5027)

Waltz:

Tennessee Waltz-Patti Page
Variations on a Theme by Erik Satie-Blood, Sweat and Tears

Quickstep:

Jump, Jive and Wail-Brian Setzer Orchestra
Sing, Sing, Sing-Benny Goodman Orchestra

Foxtrot:

Fly Me to the Moon-Frank Sinatra
The Way You Look Tonight-Frank Sinatra

Viennese Waltz:

I Won't Give Up-Jason Mraz
Kiss from A Rose-Seal

(ok, that's two 10s:o)

fuse
04-15-2015, 09:12 PM
My wife and I have been taking ballroom (and social) dance lessons for over 7.5 years now and that has opened up yet another book for music appreciation. So, some of our favorite songs out on the ballroom floor (in no particular order):

Tango:

Pa' Bailar-Siempre Quiero Mas-Julieta Venegas y Bajofondo
Santa Maria-Gotan Project

Salsa:

Livin' La Vida Loca-Ricky Martin
Mambo Swing-Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Samba:

Bailamos-Enrique Iglesias
I Want to Be Just Like You-Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

West Coast Swing:

Promiscuous-Nelly Furtado and Timbaland
Rolling in the Deep-Adele

East Coast Swing:

Pink Cadillac-Bruce Springsteen
Bad Things-Jace Everett

Cha Cha:

Smooth-Rob Thomas and Santana
Sway-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.cat Dolls (now this is pretty funny-maybe I should have posted the Dean Martin or Michael Buble versions5027)

Waltz:

Tennessee Waltz-Patti Page
Variations on a Theme by Erik Satie-Blood, Sweat and Tears

Quickstep:

Jump, Jive and Wail-Brian Setzer Orchestra
Sing, Sing, Sing-Benny Goodman Orchestra

Foxtrot:

Fly Me to the Moon-Frank Sinatra
The Way You Look Tonight-Frank Sinatra

Viennese Waltz:

I Won't Give Up-Jason Mraz
Kiss from A Rose-Seal

(ok, that's two 10s:o)

Would love to give you sporks for music- Zoot suit riot, Smooth, Kiss from a Rose.... Nice choices!

GDT
04-15-2015, 09:48 PM
The two-part question: (1a) Do you have acquaintances who seem to listen to no music at all? (1b) Do you think they're weird? (2a) Do you have acquaintances who know what a music nutter you are? (2b) Do they think you're weird?

No music? I don't think so. But I do think my family, in particular, doesn't so much listen to music as put in on in the background. I don't think that's weird, it's probably pretty normal. They know I am a music nutter and they think I'm pretty weird but I doubt my music habits would make the top 5 of the weirdest characteristics they think I exhibit. I just put my music on a portable hard drive for vacation and it came at about 470GB (I reached SONOS' limit for songs six or so months ago). During said vacation, my wife did suggest that I 'hoarded' music and I guess I can't disagree. But it's one of those things that's so much fun to share with others. I don't post much but I do love to talk music, not criticize tastes but talk about what's great about the line 'rusted brandy in a diamond glass' or 'I wish I was a fool for you again...' Or how the song Don't Worry Baby by Los Lobos has 3 of the greatest guitar tones ever in one song.

DU82
04-15-2015, 11:27 PM
This is pretty funny/ironic, fuse. I might challenge you on another thread for your ten "favorites";).

In no particular order, except #1:

Sing, Sing, Sing-Benny Goodman (this absolutely rocks and we love to dance to it)
Thunder Road (acoustic; haunting)-Bruce Springsteen (I'm a Jersey boy; story of my late teen years)
Won't Get Fooled Again-The Who (this song rocks almost as much as Sing, Sing, Sing)
Angry Young Man-Billy Joel (another chapter from my youth but I don't plan on being an angry old man)
Sympathy for the Devil-The Rolling Stones (history; quoted from this for my younger daughter's surprise wedding guest/dance partner)
Devil with the Blue Dress-DUMB (our younger daughter danced to this for 3 years when she cheered)
American Pie-Don McLean (a "history" of R&R)

There's sort of a theme here.

This is likely going to change/have some additions in 30 minutes. Or less.

The clarinet player in me endorses your first pick (it was my first thought reading the OP's message), and the former DUMB member likes your last selection as well.

YmoBeThere
04-15-2015, 11:27 PM
I left off so much, is it fair to limit it to just ten?

cspan37421
04-16-2015, 12:17 AM
This question is darn near impossible to answer without applying filters. What mood are you in? Are you trying to work, cheer up, calm down, stay awake, exercise, ... ?

The only way I could get to 10 was by applying some serious filters. They are, in no particular order:

At a minimum: female-fronted band (or all female band). For better or worse, this cuts the choices of my 500 artist/200 album library down substantially.
The genre must keep me awake on long drive, and for me, this means I must leave behind many fine singer-songwriters and instrumentalists.
Only one song per artist, even though in real life I'd listen to entire albums from the first few:

Garbage - Push It
Sleater-Kinney - Jumpers
The Donnas - Take It Off
The Cranberries - Promises
Morningwood - Televisor
Paramore - Emergency
TAT - Pessimist
Civet - Hell Hath No Fury
The B-52s - Private Idaho
L7 - Fast and Frightening

Pseudo-honorable mention:
[because I honestly thought these tunes were sung by women, until I discovered that was a false(tto) belief]

A Skylit Drive - Eva the Carrier
Pierce the Veil - Caraphernelia

It would be a different list if I could go up to 50-75, but most of these would still be on it.

fuse
04-16-2015, 07:20 AM
I left off so much, is it fair to limit it to just ten?

Make more lists :-)

Tommac
04-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Hard to pick only 10 but here goes:

Doobie Bros - Rockin' Down the Highway
Chicago - Beginnings
Doors - Riders on the Storm
Alan Parsons Project - Sirius/Eye in the Sky
Steely Dan - Aja
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild
The Band - The Weight
Paul McCartney - Band on the Run
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Suite Judy Blue Eyes
The Guess Who - American Woman

Oops, I picked 11, sorry.

davekay1971
04-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Back in my high school and college days: my rap years.

1) Public Enemy/Anthrax - Bring Tha Noise
2) Beastie Boys - Sabotage
3) EPMD - Strictly Business
4) NWA - **** Tha Police
5) NWA - Straight Outta Compton
6) Run-DMC/Aerosmith - Walk This Way
7) Public Enemy - Burn Hollywood Burn
8) Doug E Fresh - The Show
9) Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full
10) Beastie Boys - Paul Revere

Funny how tastes change. I still like those songs but not enough to listen to them often. Now I'm more likely to turn to a modern country station (with a 2 year old and 6 year old in the back seat, less likely to have to explain language with a Blake Shelton song than with NWA). But in high school, I listened only to rap and, being from the DC area in the 80s, go-go. EU and Rare Essence were in the rotation, but they're not rap, so they didn't make the above list. Also, Ice-T was a near miss with Lethal Weapon and Peel Their Caps Back, and there were several other Public Enemy songs that I considered for this list.

Tripping William
04-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Great thread idea! Here's mine, as of today. As others have said, this is kind of a fluid exercise (and limiting to just 10 was difficult).

10: Dancing Nancies: Actually debuted on my wife's 18th birthday. The Central Park version, with the "Bartender, hook me up" intro and Boyd Tinsley's violin solo is a favorite. "Could I have been anyone other than me?"

9.: #41: The earliest version of what became this song actually debuted in Cameron on 4.7.95. Seeing Branford Marsalis as a guest saxophonist on it in Raleigh on 12.12.12 was a real treat, as was an acoustic version featuring Tim Reynolds and Warren Haynes on guitar(s). "I swear by now I'm playing time against my troubles."

8. The Best of What's Around: An instant mood-changer, with a great sax solo at the end. "Turns out not where but who you're with that really matters."

7. Seek Up: Lots of room in this song for musical variation, these days usually with trumpet and saxophone "call-and-response" up front and violin at the end. Lyrically thought-provoking, as well, among them: "If at all God's gaze upon us falls, it's with a mischievous grin."

6. Lie In Our Graves: In a band that has many musically "upbeat" takes on death, this is the mostest upbeatest. Full-band, Tinsley's extended violin at the end is always high-energy. "I can't believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well."

5. Pig: A "carpe diem" song like Tripping Billies, but one that I just like better. "Don't burn the day."

4. The Dreaming Tree: The first in a run of Biblical songs, this one a take on the Fall of Adam. I have only seen this live once, with Stanley Jordan as a guest guitarist, and it was awesome. "I don't ask much; won't you speak . . . please."

3. The Stone: Written from the perspective of Judas Iscariot shortly following his betrayal of Jesus. (Who thinks to do that?) Generally ends with a sample from Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love With You." "I've this creeping suspicion that things here are not as they seem."

2. Bartender: A riff on the Resurrection, this was probably my DMB gateway drug and will always remind me of the day (8.19.08) that the late saxophonist LeRoi Moore died (born in Durham; may he RIP). A pennywhistle interpolation of "If I Only Had a Brain" has become a staple at the end. "Bartender, please, fill my glass for me with the wine you gave Jesus that set him free after three days in the ground."

1. Two Step: A beast of a song that's a combination love song and "carpe diem," with a little Noah's ark allusion thrown in ("climb on, two-by-two, to be sure all these days continue"). It has evolved a great deal over the years, now including a killer Carter Beauford drum solo toward the end. "Celebrate, celebrate we will, cuz life is short but sweet for certain."

Reddevil
04-16-2015, 11:27 AM
ONE SHINING MOMENT - Luther (on certain occassions)
More Than a Feeling - Boston
Hotel California - Eagles
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zep
Free Bird - Skynyrd
Dream On - Aerosmith
Feels Like the First Time - Foreigner
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton
Highway Song - Blackfoot
Flashlight - Parliament

Tom B.
04-16-2015, 12:50 PM
The first favorite ten that pop into mind...I may reconsider later!

1) Thunderstruck - AC/DC - I can listen to this song, at high volume, at any time and be happy
2) Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd - same thing, although not quite such high volume
3) When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
4) Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
5) Nightshift - Commodores
6) Hey Pretty Girl - Kip Moore - just perfectly encapsulates the way I feel about my wife
7) Sabotage - Beastie Boys
8) Train, Train - Blackfoot
9) Bring Tha Noise - Public Enemy and Anthrax - best rock/rap combo IM(h)O, superior to the Aerosmith/Run-DMC collaboration (Walk this Way) that introduced the concept
10) Lord of the Dance - hymn - I sing this to my 2 year old at her request every night when I put her to bed.

You and I must have some similar musical tastes. "Thunderstruck," "When the Levee Breaks," "Kashmir," and "Sabotage" are all permanent members of my running/workout playlist. Some others on that list are:

"Cowboy" by Kid Rock
"Insane in the Brain" by Cypress Hill
"Ring of Fire" -- not the original Johnny Cash version, but the cover by Social Distortion
"Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson
"Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin
"Badlands" by Bruce Springsteen
"No Surrender" by Bruce Springsteen
"Cadillac Ranch" by Bruce Springsteen

(Can you tell I'm a bit of a Zeppelin and Springsteen fan?)

As for picking my top ten songs, oof....that's gonna take some thinkin'. I'll get back to you....

lotusland
04-16-2015, 03:46 PM
OK. First try:

I love J. McMurtrtry and Choctaw Bingo Here's a cool live version in Amsterdam with Ian McLagan of The Faces on keyboard.

Yes I’ll try to get something to you this afternoon.

That song is fairly easy to play but how could you ever learn all the lyrics? "Sells that chrystal meth because the 'shine don't sell you know he likes that money - he don't mind the smell..."

lotusland
04-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Americana list:

1. Leaving Eden, Carolina Chocolate Drops (internet live version at the Ryman is goosebumpy!)
2. Up on the Divide, Martha Scanlan
3. Boundary County, Eilen Jewell
4. Summertime, Doc & Merle Watson
5. Fast Car, Tracy Chapman
6. Carolina in My Mind, Alison Krauss & Jerry Douglas
7. Annabel, The Duhks (Jessee Havey)
8. Battle of New Orleans, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Symphonian Dream version
9. Tennessee, Gillian Welch
10. Central Time, Pokey Lafarge
ow
Naming a top ten is impossible. These are some fine musicians and vocalists, though. I've seen them all in person save Tracy Chapman.

I love your list - I have many of those in my collection - but seeing a Pokey LaFarge mention is the highlight. Such a unique and extremely tight band. I like the performace on e-town the best. Here's the number to close the show with Shovels and Rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTsVf0gsL_c&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ew&index=1

lotusland
04-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Joe Ely, Gallo Del Cielo

Hundreds more ........

Another great list. Robert Earl Keen also does a great cover of Levelland.

lotusland
04-16-2015, 04:35 PM
I'll post my most meaningful??? 10 as the ones that bring back the most memories or got the most plays and I'll come back later with the top 10 on my ipad currently. In random order:

Sympathy of the Devil - hundreds of miles down dirt roads and Bud cans with the fellas singing "Hoot Hoo, Hoot Hoo"
Burnin' Down One Side by Robert Plant - Song my Dad asked me to turn down the most while getting ready for school. Apologies to "The Crunge"
So Lonely by the Police - edges Born in the 50s by just a hair
Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits - I love the Indigo Girls cover too
Water of Love by Dire Straits - edges Wild West End, Down to the Waterline and 6-Blade Knife off the debut album
Souvenirs by John Prine - hard to pick 1 from Prine
Somebody's Baby by Jackson Brown - not a great song but instant memories of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"
Love You to the Letter by Anita Baker - best song off favorite record -Compositions
Tom Ames Prayer by Steve Earle - best song ever
Hardcore Troubadour by Steve Earle - First Studio album after his 4 year "vacation in the guetto"

ncexnyc
04-16-2015, 09:08 PM
It’s hard for us older people to come up with a list of ten. First, we’ve heard so many songs during our lifetime and second, we’ve forgotten a large number of those songs for one reason or another 
I’ll do a list for the 60’s.

Can’t Help Falling in Love----- Elvis Presley: Elvis is the musical equivalent of Dickie V. Sadly he is remembered for his jumpsuits and the karate kick stage moves from his Vegas period. It’s a shame few people remember how talented he really was and what a great voice he had.

I Want to Hold Your Hand-----The Beatles: They made better and more artistic songs, but this one brings back what it was like to fall in love for the very first time.

Satisfaction----The Rolling Stones: The musical antichrists to the Beatles. The Rolling Stones were every mother’s worst nightmare from that era. This song still sounds fresh today.

Like A Rolling Stone---- Bob Dylan: The 60’s were a time of change and Dylan was the voice and conscience of the decade.

Where Did Our Love Go----The Supremes: Yes the 60’s were definitely a time of change and black artists would go on to get more and more radio play. Here was a group that rivaled the The Beatles for #1 hits.

Sugar, Sugar---The Archies: While some artists were showing us the cold cruel world as it really was the Bubblegum groups managed to keep things light. Here one of the best from that era.

Somebody to Love-----Jefferson Airline: The west coast gave us the Beach Boys, but here was a whole new animal. Flower power, drugs, sex, and rock and roll all in one package.

Cloud Nine-----Temptations: Before Grand Master Flash gave us, “The Message”, here was a song telling us about life in the inner city.

Crossroads----Cream: Not one of their radio hits, this song shows us where rock was headed and gave us our first true guitar god, Eric Clapton.

Proud Mary-----Creedence Clearwater Revival: There was a rift taking place in my household as far as music goes. My older sister was gravitating towards Jefferson Airplane, Santana, The Grateful Dead, and groups such as that. I was more into Rod Stewart, The Guess Who, and this band. Despite their heavy southern based sound and lyrics they were actually from California. The intro of this song is only rivaled by that of Smoke on the Water.

moonpie23
04-16-2015, 09:25 PM

Mind blown!!!

20, 000 of them are accidental duplicates...
:rolleyes:

devildeac
04-16-2015, 09:44 PM
10 that I forgot:

LA Woman-Doors (great cruising song)
Love Her Madly-Doors (ditto)
Red Rain-Peter Gabriel
Watcher of the Skies-Genesis
Running on Empty-Jackson Browne
Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)-Robert Palmer
Simply Irresistable-Robert Palmer
Sugar Mountain (acoustic)-Neil Young
Brown Eyed Girl-Van Morrison (describes my wife and two lovely daughters; great wedding dance song)
Pretty Woman-Roy Orbison (ditto)

I think I need 10 more spots:o.

Reilly
04-16-2015, 10:27 PM
"Slow Turning" by John HIatt

"I Made a Mess of This Town" by Scott Miller ("... well you know how girls talk") .... barely beating "Amtrak Crescent"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3frZoIy280Y ..... Amtrak Crescent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPyqV-P9LY

"Love Me Like a Man" by Bonnie Raitt

"I Melt with You" by Modern English

"I'll Take You There" by The Staple Singers

"Lover Lay Down" by Dave Matthews Band [Why: Leroi Moore's sax]

"Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac

"Rambling on My Mind (Live)" by Eric Clapton ... from "Just One Night"(Live) ... over "Early in the Morning (Live)" by Eric Clapton

"Try a Little Tenderness" by The Commitments

"Ubi Caritas" by Maurice Durufle [Why: "Where charity and love are, God is there" -- brings tears to my eyes every Holy Thursday.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=457nVpxJDkA

OldPhiKap
04-16-2015, 10:38 PM

Mind blown!!!

Overguessed a bit, only 190 gigs. Looks like 28,314 songs.

BlueDevilBrowns
04-17-2015, 12:20 AM
My initial "Big Ten" Top Ten(in no particular order):

1. "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" - David Allen Coe

2. "Purple Rain" - Prince

3. "A Man Needs a Maid" - Neil Young

4. "It Was a Good Day" - Ice Cube

5. "Family Tradition" - Hank Williams Jr.

6. "The Great Gig in the Sky" - Pink Floyd

7. "One" - Metallica

8. "Hit 'Em Up" - 2Pac

9. "Close To You" - The Carpenters

10. "In the Air Tonight" - Phil Collins

11. "Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd

12. "The Long and Winding Road"(the stripped down version from "Let It Be... Naked") - The Beatles

13. "Sympathy for the Devil" - The Rolling Stones

14. "Black" - Pearl Jam

YmoBeThere
04-17-2015, 05:21 AM

Overguessed a bit, only 190 gigs. Looks like 28,314 songs.

Just blame it on the 1024KB versus 1000K issue...

fuse
04-17-2015, 08:29 AM
My favorite LL songs:

10. Deepest Bluest (Deep Blue Sea, one of my guilty pleasure movies about a religious cook and his parrot)
9. Going Back to Cali
8. I Need Love
7. Phenomenon
6. Jingling Baby
5. I'm that type of guy
4. Hey Lover
3. Around the Way Girl
2. Doin It
1. Mama Said Knock You Out

Tripping William
04-17-2015, 08:39 AM

"I Made a Mess of This Town" by Scott Miller ("... well you know how girls talk") .... barely beating "Amtrak Crescent"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3frZoIy280Y ..... Amtrak Crescent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPyqV-P9LY

"Rambling on My Mind (Live)" by Eric Clapton ... from "Just One Night"(Live) ... over "Early in the Morning (Live)" by Eric Clapton

"Ubi Caritas" by Maurice Durufle [Why: "Where charity and love are, God is there" -- brings tears to my eyes every Holy Thursday.]

Roi was fabulous on LLD. The Live Trax Vol. 31 version, from the 6.23.01 show in Camden, NJ, is absolutely superb.

captmojo
04-17-2015, 10:22 AM
There is no hope of making a list, according to my hot and steamy bit of brain trapped inside my skull.
I let the 'random selection' option, on my jukebox make the last eight selections. That steamy thing will always come up with the first two.

1) 'Layla'... Derek & the Dominos... It's Slow-hand & the Skydog for Christ's sake!
2) 'Don't Keep Me Wondering'... Allmans, from the Original Live at the Fillmore. The harmonies of slide guitar and blues harp, they induce swooning.

Now, the randomly selected...

3) 'Leavin' Trunk' Jaimoe's Jasssz Band version
4) 'Buried Alive in the Blues' performed by The Chicago Blues Reunion
5) 'Everyone Should Be Free' The Derek Trucks Band
6) 'Lovin' From My Baby's Eyes' Taj Mahal
7) 'Gnawin' on it' by Bonnie Raitt
8) 'What You Gonna Do" Curtis Salgado
9) 'Never Make a Move Too Soon' BB King
10) 'I Don't Live Anywhere' by Joe Bonamassa

This really is a bottomless pit.:cool:

91_92_01_10_15
04-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Lots of great lists here. This is mine:

10. Stella Blue- The Grateful Dead: There are a bunch of Dead songs that could have made this list, but I suggest this one to stand for the Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia songwriting team
9. Violin Concerto #3- Mozart: Opened me up to a new kind of music
8. Don’t Be Denied- Neil Young: Inspire yourself (This would be a good one for Grayson)
7. Please Pardon Yourself- The Avett Bros.: Forgive yourself
6. Change-Blind Melon: “I want to write my words on the face of today”
5. Bird On the Wire- Leonard Cohen: Katey Sagal did a version of this for “Sons of Anarchy” that is achingly good
4. Angel From Montgomery- John Prine: But the one I love is the Bonnie Raitt Version
3. Shining Star- the Jerry Garcia Band version: Thanks for the 25-minute version in Hampton, Jerry!
2. Strawberry Fields Forever- The Beatles: ‘Nuff said
1. Chilly Water- Widespread Panic: This list could be all Panic for me, but Chilly has always been the at the top

Others Receiving Votes:
Crimson and Clover- Tommy James and the Shondells
The Weight- The Band
Get Up, Stand Up- Bob Marley and the Wailers
Let It Rain- Derek and the Dominos
Waiting for a Superman- The Flaming Lips
Lord- Langhorne Slim
Last Dance- Neil Young
Heaven- Talking Heads
Truth Doesn’t Make a Noise- The White Stripes
Let’s Get the Show on the Road- Michael Stanley
Right Down the Line- Gerry Rafferty

rasputin
04-17-2015, 10:48 AM

I didn't see Ubi Caritas coming. I'm a tenor in my church's choir, and we have done this piece a number of times, including this year on Holy Thursday. Some very colorful harmony, and it's a most moving piece.

markbdevil
04-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Love this thread. Great idea. In no particular order either:

1. Jungleland -- Bruce Springsteen. My dad grew up in Jersey and passed along his love of Bruce to me.
2. T.B. Sheets -- Van Morrison. So incredibly soulful! Van the Man.
3. Say It Ain't So -- Weezer. Brings me back to high school and great memories.
4. The Boxer -- Simon & Garfunkel. Such a beautiful song!
5. A Pirate Looks At Forty -- Buffett. I am a big Parrot Head and this was one of this first Buffett songs I fell in love with.
6. Trouble -- Coldplay. Have always been a fan of Coldplay. One of many that are great.
7. Chicago, Djohariah, etc... -- Sufjan Stevens. Pretty much anything Sufjan. You can't go wrong.
8. Saeglopur -- Sigur Ros. Icelandic band. I don't understand any of the words but they are amazing. Really powerful music.
9. More Than A Feeling -- Boston. Pure nostalgia. Love this song.
10. Ms. Jackson -- Outkast. Obligatory rap song. I am a big rap/hip hop fan and this is one of my all time favorites.

Bonus: The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows, Degausser, Seventy Times 7 -- Brand New. Just so good!

There are many more but those are some my favorites.

Great to see some love for Sigur Ros!
Sigur Ros - Isjaki and Varuo
Elbow - Sad Captains and One Day Like This
Beatles - Two of Us
U2- Magnificent and Unforgettable Fire
XTC - Generals and Majors
Coldplay - Rush of blood to the head
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain

Reilly
04-17-2015, 11:03 AM
I didn't see Ubi Caritas coming ...

Figure my list is pretty representative of my salvation chances: I got about a 1/10th chance, and most of my list (and what I left out) is Saturday night, bluesy music or has "whiskey" somewhere in the title/lyrics. "Whiskey" by Jana Kramer is a great song, too. I stumbled on that one looking her up as I was smitten from seeing her on "Friday Night Lights" (tv show) in a small role, and found out she was s singer, too.

moonpie23
04-17-2015, 12:39 PM
i wonder if y'all all realize how much of your personalities you're revealing with this thread?? :)

I've always said that a great test for compatibility is to rent a movie or buy some music together.....:cool:

CoBlueDevil
04-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Great to see some love for Sigur Ros!
Sigur Ros - Isjaki and Varuo
Elbow - Sad Captains and One Day Like This
Beatles - Two of Us
U2- Magnificent and Unforgettable Fire
XTC - Generals and Majors
Coldplay - Rush of blood to the head
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain

Varuo is haunting! Gives me chills.

Second Stab:

Fearless -- Pink Floyd
Be Free -- Loggins & Messina
What is and what should never be -- Zeppelin
Comfort Me -- Tim McGraw
Darkness on the edge of town -- Bruce
Spaceship, Gone, I Wonder -- Kanye (I know he is completely out of his mind but his earlier stuff is really good)
What Sarah Said, Transatlanticism -- Death Cab
Untitled 8 -- Sigur Ros
Honky Tonk Woman -- Stones
Who Are You -- The Who

OldPhiKap
04-17-2015, 09:44 PM
Varuo is haunting! Gives me chills.

Second Stab:

Fearless -- Pink Floyd
Be Free -- Loggins & Messina
What is and what should never be -- Zeppelin
Comfort Me -- Tim McGraw
Darkness on the edge of town -- Bruce
Spaceship, Gone, I Wonder -- Kanye (I know he is completely out of his mind but his earlier stuff is really good)
What Sarah Said, Transatlanticism -- Death Cab
Untitled 8 -- Sigur Ros
Honky Tonk Woman -- Stones
Who Are You -- The Who

Lots of great songs on this entire thread. Had to give props to this as a truly inspired choice. Any/every song on Meddle could make a list. My favorite Floyd album, easy.

My desire to see a futbol match in Liverpool stems from the end of Fearless.

hurleyfor3
04-17-2015, 11:35 PM
i wonder if y'all all realize how much of your personalities you're revealing with this thread?? :)

That's why I'm staying out.

BluDvlsN1
04-18-2015, 12:34 AM
Great thread, impossible task ;)
I've reduced my top 10 to 25,but like many have stated it would take many 10's, it ebbs and flows with the mood of the day.
There are just so many songs in so many Genres.

Here is a first cut, but I no sooner put it together and I think of ZZtop favs, blues, classical,classic rock, jazz, mowtown, big band, music that are not on this list
What a gift music is.
What a fun exercise
In no particular order...

All I do is win, CIS, probably obvious (had to do it):cool:

Imagine..John Lennon ,performed by Randy Crawford and the Yellow Jackets at the 1981 Montreux
Jazz Festival , Casino Lights Album

Moondance,Van Morrison

Unchained Melody..Righteous Bros

Stardust, Nat King Cole

Can you stop the rain, Grover Washington Jr.

Nessum Dorma Turnadot, Pavarotti

Fascinating Rhythm, George Gershwin

Layla, Eric Clapton

Claire De Lune, Debussey

My favorite things, Dave Brubeck

I love Rock and Roll, Joan Jett

I've got you under my skin,Various

This songs for you.. Leon Russell

What a wonderful world, Louie Armstrong

Start me up, Stones

Boom, Boom,Boom, John Lee Hooker

At Last, Etta James sung by Beyonce

Summer Wind, Various

Mustang Sally, Muddy Waters

Empire State of Mind, Alicia Keyes solo

September, Earth Wind & Fire

The Shadow of your smile..Various

Stormy Monday

While my Guitar gently weeps, Clapton playing

YmoBeThere
04-18-2015, 03:31 AM
That's why I'm staying out.

To a lesser degree age also.

devildeac
04-19-2015, 08:15 PM
I left out a few more (inspired by several of the posts above):

Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits (...don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band...)
Beginnings-Chicago (yea, I know, they have trumpets:eek:; associated with my first girl friend/love)
25 or 6 to 4-Chicago (this still rocks)
Because the Night-Bruce Springsteen; Patti Smith; 10,00 Maniacs; live; unplugged; almost any version
Start Me Up-Rolling Stones (started residency; wife started MSN program and new job)
Hell-Squirrel Nut Zippers
The Impression That I Get-The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones
Vaseline Machine Gun-Leo Kottke
Do Ya-Wizzard; Electric Light Orchestra
Magic Bus (live)-The Who

fuse
04-20-2015, 08:00 AM
10. Blister in the Sun, Violent Femmes
9. Black Hole Sun, Soundgarden
8. Saturday in the Park, Chicago
7. Cooler than me, Mike Posner
6. Summer Breeze, Seals & Croft
5. Hot Fun in the Summer Time, Sly & the Family Stone
4. I Got A Feeling, Black Eyed Peas
3. Summer in the City, Loving Spoonful
2. Summertime, Will Smith
1. 409, Beach Boys ( could be all their tunes)

I am fairly certain I could rattle off another 5 or 6 summer lists easily- lots of 80s pop would fit, as well as more recent pop.

CameronBornAndBred
04-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Top Ten Summer Songs...(still an impossible list!)

Summertime Rolls - Janes Addiction
Cruel Summer - Bananarama (Admit it, you could totally sing along)
Sunshine Daydream - Grateful Dead
Good Vibrations - Beach Boys. (BBs, obligatory in any summer list)
Here Comes the Sun - Beatles
Summer Nights - Travolta & Newton-John. (Grease soundtrack)
Under The Boardwalk - Drifters
School's Out For Summer - Alice Cooper. (I don't even like AC, but that was fun to sing in early June)
I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash
Vacation - The Go-Gos

devildeac
04-20-2015, 11:10 AM
10. Blister in the Sun, Violent Femmes
9. Black Hole Sun, Soundgarden
8. Saturday in the Park, Chicago
7. Cooler than me, Mike Posner
6. Summer Breeze, Seals & Croft
5. Hot Fun in the Summer Time, Sly & the Family Stone
4. I Got A Feeling, Black Eyed Peas
3. Summer in the City, Loving Spoonful
2. Summertime, Will Smith
1. 409, Beach Boys ( could be all their tunes)

I am fairly certain I could rattle off another 5 or 6 summer lists easily- lots of 80s pop would fit, as well as more recent pop.

I officially hate you now :p. (kidding, of course)

In no particular order:

Boys of Summer-Bryan Adams
Racing in the Streets-Bruce Springsteen
(name 1)-Chairman of the Board
(name 2)-Tams
(name 5)-Embers
(name a bunch)-Band of Oz
(name them all)-Drifters
Centerfield-John Fogarty
Summertime Blues-Eddie Cochran or The Who-take your pick
See You in September-various artists, guess my favorite is The Four Seasons

fuse
04-20-2015, 12:06 PM
I officially hate you now :p. (kidding, of course)

In no particular order:

Boys of Summer-Bryan Adams
Racing in the Streets-Bruce Springsteen
(name 1)-Chairman of the Board
(name 2)-Tams
(name 5)-Embers
(name a bunch)-Band of Oz
(name them all)-Drifters
Centerfield-John Fogarty
Summertime Blues-Eddie Cochran or The Who-take your pick
See You in September-various artists, guess my favorite is The Four Seasons

All in good fun.
Perhaps you meant Boys of Summer by Don Henley, or Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams :confused: :p

devildeac
04-20-2015, 12:58 PM
All in good fun.
Perhaps you meant Boys of Summer by Don Henley, or Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams :confused: :p

You are correct. I got my titles and artists confused. I'll take them both so make it 10A and 10B.:o.

I'll co-sign what many posters have already stated that this is an excellent idea for a thread. Maybe you should start more music threads;).

OldPhiKap
04-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Top ten summer songs:

Side one
No. Title Length
1. "Coming in from the Cold" 4:30
2. "Real Situation" 3:08
3. "Bad Card" 2:50
4. "We and Dem" 3:12
5. "Work" 3:41
Side two
No. Title Length
6. "Zion Train" 3:36
7. "Pimper's Paradise" 3:27
8. "Could You Be Loved" 3:57
9. "Forever Loving Jah" 3:52
10. "Redemption Song" 3:47

Lather, rinse, repeat.

lotusland
04-20-2015, 01:27 PM
I'll post my most meaningful??? 10 as the ones that bring back the most memories or got the most plays and I'll come back later with the top 10 on my ipad currently. In random order:

Sympathy of the Devil - hundreds of miles down dirt roads and Bud cans with the fellas singing "Hoot Hoo, Hoot Hoo"
Burnin' Down One Side by Robert Plant - Song my Dad asked me to turn down the most while getting ready for school. Apologies to "The Crunge"
So Lonely by the Police - edges Born in the 50s by just a hair
Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits - I love the Indigo Girls cover too
Water of Love by Dire Straits - edges Wild West End, Down to the Waterline and 6-Blade Knife off the debut album
Souvenirs by John Prine - hard to pick 1 from Prine
Somebody's Baby by Jackson Brown - not a great song but instant memories of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"
Love You to the Letter by Anita Baker - best song off favorite record -Compositions
Tom Ames Prayer by Steve Earle - best song ever
Hardcore Troubadour by Steve Earle - First Studio album after his 4 year "vacation in the guetto"

OK after thinking about my top 10 list for "memories/nostalgia" for a few days I definitely need to add "She's always in my Hair" by Prince and "Everything is Broken" by Dylan.

Now I'll take a stab at the curent top 10 on my iPad (I like live music best so I actually spend more time on Youtube than my iPod):

Charlie Robison - Sunset Boulevard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFJ-l6bHTH8&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ew&index=67

Devil Makes Three - All Hail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbNxGqaorY4&index=8&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ew

Sturgill Simpson - Life of Sin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70HJMikcBo

Corey Branan - On the Corner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4D1Km64kUE&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ew&index=2

Lera Lynn - Good Hearted Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbNxGqaorY4&index=8&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ew

Shovels and Rope - Cavalier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4KPmhneGQU

Mozella - You Don't Love Anyone but Yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-GTKTmSWO8

Ariana Gillis - Forget me not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW7kYCFFeHY&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ew&index=14

Holly Williams (Hank Jr.'s daughter) - Drinkin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QW5t9w0j1w&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ew&index=69

Chris Knight - Heart of Stone htthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGXnkwWXKk&index=23&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ewp://

nmduke2001
04-20-2015, 01:57 PM
This is really tough. Probably not my final list but those that came to mind:

Dream on - Aerosmith (Something about this song, just really like it)
Hotel California - Eagles (I prefer the live version from hell freezes over)
Come Together - The Beatles (my favorite Beatles song. It's like an intro to grunge)
One - Metallica (Metallica has a lot of good music, this is my favorite)
I want it that way - Backstreet Boys (don't judge me)
99 Problems - Jay-z (such a great story)
Hypnotize - Notorious B.I.G. (my favorite rap song of all time)
Ain't no sunshine - Bill Withers (just go listen; you'll get it)
Can't help falling in love - Elvis (my wedding song)
Don't stop believin' - Journey (we had an epic sing along for my 10 year Duke reunion)

Can't believe this list doesn't have any MJ, Nirvana, Phil Collins, Prince, Marley, Green Day, Guns and Roses or many more. Maybe I need to reconsider.

lotusland
04-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Some favorite comedic stuff from a funny guy. No particular order for these. Nowhere near comprehensive, so additions welcome. Some of these are sly/clever, others giggly, some are biting, others gentle. Many require the listener to picture the scene in the mind's eye.

Black Diamond Bay -- Especially the scene where the woman cries, "There's danger near" as the Greek commits suicide.

Idiot Wind -- For such a bitter song, it opens with the story about the narrator being hounded by the press, taking some guy's wife to Italy, inheritance, and the absolutely hilarious punch line: "I can't help it if I'm lucky."

Queen Jane Approximately -- "Now when all of the bandits that you turned your other cheek to, All lay down their bandanas and complain." Just picture that scene. Picture it.

Highway 61 Revisited -- most of it; God telling Abraham he better run; 5th daughter, 12th night, 2d mother, 7th son; gambler finds promoter to promote next world war ("But yes I think it can be very easily done").

Love Minus Zero/No Limit -- Near end of beautiful love song, this biting note: "Bankers' nieces seek perfection, expecting all the gifts that wise men bring."

Tombstone Blues -- rhyming "boys in," 4 lines later, with "poison."

The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest -- The setup to the punchline: "It's not a house, it's a home"; and the punchline: "And don't go mistaking Paradise, For that home across the road."

Drifter's Escape -- Deus ex machina, I think, to allow the drifter to escape.

Went to See the Gypsy -- "He did it in Las Vegas, And he can do it here." I'm guessing the gypsy spent considerable time in "little Minnesota towns," not so much in Vegas.

Clothes Line Saga -- "Are those clothes yours?" "Some of 'em, not all of 'em." "Ya always help out around here with the chores?" "Sometime, not all the time." Saga, indeed.

Liner notes to album, John Wesley Harding -- the story of Frank and the three kings, especially Frank calling their bluff: "And just how far would you like to go in?" "Not too far, but just far enough so's we can say that we've been there.":

I'll give it a go:

Dale Watson - I lie When I Drink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SobnlBTqGjQ&index=32&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ew

Robert Earl Keen - The Cam Lo Mein https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCNYqTAmhoc

Hayes Carl - Another Like You https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZMnEBGMR0&list=PLqWnYCyni7-6Sr2dVC9vMB61-j5acb3Ew&index=28

Todd Snider - Conservative Christian, Right Wing Republican, Straight White American Male
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5hlil50vi4) Bonus: the funny story behind said song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhnf9x-Jfm4

Robert Earl Keen - The Little Things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvV6HQWuR-s

Lyle Lovett - Fat Babies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvV6HQWuR-s

Hayes Carl - She Left Me For Jesus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhkHG-oKCEU

John Prine - Lets Talk Dirty In Hawaiian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee7DShR1EX8

REK - Copenhagen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK2WEPdbmUc

REK - Swervin' in my Lane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYnBOVgkg9U

sagegrouse
04-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Oh, man! This list is full of great memories.

Chuck Willis, C.C. Rider
Jimmy Reed, Baby What You Want Me to Do (Also, known as You Got Me Running)
Elvis, Heartbreak Hotel (Saw him sing it in the ballpark in Charleston in 1956)
Stones, Honky Tonk Women (Yeah, this list is gettin' real earthy!)
Beatles, Ticket to Ride
Jerry Butler, He Will Break Your Heart (He Don't Love You Like I Love You) (A staple at parties at Duke in the 1960's)
Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone
Little Richard, Long Tall Sally
Chuck Berry, Johnnie B. Goode
The Band, Up on Cripple Creek

91_92_01_10_15
04-20-2015, 03:54 PM
I should have never forgotten "Isadora Duncan" by Vic Chesnutt.

If you like emotion in your lyrics, and you have never heard his first album, "Little," do yourself a favor.

devildeac
04-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Classical selections:

Sonata No. 14 (Moonlight)-Beethoven
Symphony No. 3-Beethoven
Symphony No. 5-Beethoven
Symphony No. 9-Beethoven
Brandenburg Concertos (all; yes, really)-Bach
Peer Gynt: Suite No. 1 (particularly, In the Hall of the Mountain King)-Grieg (The Electric Light Orchestra "covered" this on On the Third Day:o)
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 1-Tchaikovsky
Piano Concerto No. 1-Rachmaninov
Appalachian Spring-Copland
Symphony No. 9-Dvorak

As in my other lists (or should that be Liszt:o), I'm sure I missed 10-20 others.

OldPhiKap
04-20-2015, 08:33 PM
1. Valley Girl -- Frank Zappa
2. ( ____________ ) (a/k/a Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues) -- Todd Snider
3. Werewolves of London -- Warren Zevon
4. Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah -- Allan Sherman
5. Dear Abby -- John Prine
6. Traveling Man (live versions) -- David Bromberg
7. Abominable Snowman in the Supermarket -- Jonathan Richman
8. The Piano's Been Drinking (Not Me) -- Tom Waits
9. Her First Mistake -- Lyle Lovett
10. A Boy Named Sue -- Shel Silverstein

Honorable mention:

Merry Christmas from the Family -- Robert Earl Keen
Conversation With the Devil -- Ray Wiley Hubbard
Bob Dylan's 115th Dream
Love Stinks -- J. Giles Band
Village Geen Preservation Society -- Kinks
A Quick One (While He Is Away) -- the Who

killerleft
04-20-2015, 11:06 PM
Another 'humorous songs' list:

Kansas City Star, Roger Miller
Chug-a-Lug, Roger Miller
Do-Wacka-Do, Roger Miller
You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd, Roger Miller
My Uncle Used to Love Me But She Died, Roger Miller
Ahab the Arab, Ray Stevens
Monster Mash, Bobby 'Boris' Pickett
Almost Persuaded, Sheb Wooley
The Purple People Eater, Sheb Wooley
King of the Road, Roger Miller

Roger Miller.

gumbomoop
04-20-2015, 11:20 PM
OldPhiKap's mention above ^ of Robert Earl Keen's, uh, modern, uproarious Christmas song reminds me to mention a very few other modern classics (?), some funny, some lovely.

1. Dar Williams, The Christians and the Pagans
2. Chuck Brodsky, On Christmas I Got Nothing [If by chance you've never heard of Brodsky -- balladeer, social commentary, a different voice, literally and metaphorically -- check out his baseball-themed albums. His most famous song is probably Dock Ellis' No-No; also Bonehead Merkle. Brodsky's non-baseball stuff is by turns humorous and compelling. Never a dull moment.]
3. Christmas Jug Band, Santa Lost a Ho
4. Chrissie Hynde, In the Bleak Midwinter [just beautiful, on a Christmas album by The Blind Boys of Alabama]
5. John Lennon, So This Is Christmas

sagegrouse
04-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Another 'humorous songs' list:

Kansas City Star, Roger Miller
Chug-a-Lug, Roger Miller
Do-Wacka-Do, Roger Miller
You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd, Roger Miller
My Uncle Used to Love Me But She Died, Roger Miller
Ahab the Arab, Ray Stevens
Monster Mash, Bobby 'Boris' Pickett
Almost Persuaded, Sheb Wooley
The Purple People Eater, Sheb Wooley
King of the Road, Roger Miller

Roger Miller.

I don't suppose you were a fan of, who was it? -- Lonnie Donegan, who wrote: "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor on the Bedpost Over Night?"

OldPhiKap
04-21-2015, 08:08 PM
"Right Place, Wrong Time" by Dr. John just popped up on my shuffle -- that could make several of my lists.

Damn, now "Pulling Mussels From a Shell" by Squeeze . . . .

devildeac
04-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Some humorous stuff (at least to me anyway:o):

Eat It-Weird Al Yankovic (not to be confused with our new recruit, Vrankovic:p)
Fat-Weird Al Yankovic
Masochism Tango-Tom Lehrer (we have indeed danced a Tango to this-on the dance floor)
Gitarzan-Ray Stevens
One More Minute-Weird Al Yankovic (our son's a capella group, Rhythm and Blue, covered this when he was musical director)
Toast-Heywood Banks
Lumberjack Song-Monty Python (I chop down trees and I wear high heels...)
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer-Elmo and Patsy
12 Days of Christmas-Straight No Chaser
Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road-Loudon Wainwright III

fuse
04-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Glad to see Weird Al Yankovic get called out in the funny songs category.

Is Bruno Mars use of horns in Uptown Funk the best since Chicago 25 or 6 to 4?

OldPhiKap
04-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Cake uses some tasty horns.

captmojo
04-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Warren Haynes with horns. That's all I'll say.

OldPhiKap
04-22-2015, 08:55 AM
James Brown always had a powerful horn section too. All the way to the end.

Driving in to work this morning, the live version of Free Bird came on the radio. I know that it is prototypical geezer rock and all, but -- damn.

CameronBornAndBred
04-22-2015, 09:15 AM
James Brown always had a powerful horn section too. All the way to the end.

Bruce Hornsby played with the Grateful Dead on a bunch of songs that could be on my list. He turned out to be a happy surprise; he was never my style of music so I was not looking forward to seeing him on stage with Jerry and company.

devildeac
04-22-2015, 09:21 AM

Just watched/listened to both of them (Chicago Live at Red Rocks plus the original version). I'm a geezer so I'll still take Chicago but that Bruno Mars video is pretty darned good and the devildeacs would enjoy dancing to that;).

Hancock 4 Duke
04-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Sing About Me - Kendrick Lamar
Sing for the Moment - Eminem
Mortal Man - Kendrick Lamar
ADHD - Kendrick Lamar
Marvin's Room - Drake
NY State of Mind - Nas
Forgot About Dre - Dr. Dre
Runaway - Kanye West
Stan - Eminem
Dark Fantasy - Kanye West

fuse
04-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Since folks think whittling to ten is hard, I thought maybe your top ten in a theme might keep the thread fun and going.

First on deck? Name your ten favorite songs to play when you have something to celebrate.

devildeac
04-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Since folks think whittling to ten is hard, I thought maybe your top ten in a theme might keep the thread fun and going.

First on deck? Name your ten favorite songs to play when you have something to celebrate.

Mine's pretty easy:

Runnin' with the Devil-Van Halen
One Shining Moment
Devil Inside-INXS
The Devil Went Down to Georgia-Charlie Daniels Band (well, we did live there for 5 years)
Blue Devil-Hank Williams III (ok, I've never really listened to this but you said 10 songs:p)

This one was a piece of cake.

Next assignment;).

fuse
04-24-2015, 07:27 AM
10. Celebration, Kool & The Gang
9. Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
8. Are You That Somebody, Aaliyah
7. I got a feeling, Black Eyed Peas
6. Imma Be, Black Eyed Peas
5. If I had a million dollars, Bare Naked Ladies
4. Big Time, Peter Gabriel
3. Running Down a Dream, Tom Petty
2. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Usher
1. Love Shack, B-52s

For me this is a high energy category that could go on for days, and in recent years would heavily slanted towards hip hop.

In no particular order, some honorable mentions:
I Feel For You, Chaka Khan
Run It, Chris Brown
Fighter, Christina Aguilera
Rockstar, Nickelback
Turn Down For What, Lil Jon
Lose Yourself, Eminem
Like a G6, Far East Movement
Paralyzed, Finger Eleven

I'll stop there, this list could go on and on.....

devildeac, I'm thinking every Monday I may try to roll out a new theme.
I've already been introduced to a bunch of good new music on this thread as well as reminded about songs I had not listened to in ages. No ego here- hope others will toss out more lists and ideas.

captmojo
04-24-2015, 10:00 AM

It's no better for me, since I am in a state of perpetual celebration.

Celebration Day......Led Zeppelin?
I Just Want to Celebrate........Rare Earth?

BluDvlsN1
04-25-2015, 11:50 PM
10. Celebration, Kool & The Gang
9. Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
8. Are You That Somebody, Aaliyah
7. I got a feeling, Black Eyed Peas
6. Imma Be, Black Eyed Peas
5. If I had a million dollars, Bare Naked Ladies
4. Big Time, Peter Gabriel
3. Running Down a Dream, Tom Petty
2. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Usher
1. Love Shack, B-52s

For me this is a high energy category that could go on for days, and in recent years would heavily slanted towards hip hop.

In no particular order, some honorable mentions:
I Feel For You, Chaka Khan
Run It, Chris Brown
Fighter, Christina Aguilera
Rockstar, Nickelback
Turn Down For What, Lil Jon
Lose Yourself, Eminem
Like a G6, Far East Movement
Paralyzed, Finger Eleven

I'll stop there, this list could go on and on.....

devildeac, I'm thinking every Monday I may try to roll out a new theme.
I've already been introduced to a bunch of good new music on this thread as well as reminded about songs I had not listened to in ages. No ego here- hope others will toss out more lists and ideas.

Great idea fuse, there have been many postings, mine included
that find it near impossible to narrow the field,cspan37421 too
suggested applying filters.

This seems to be an approach that can help the thread stay active and
Interesting. I have found music to listen here that I might not normally
have heard.

This list while not designed to be definitive, but it is represenative of
music, that energizes, and feels good, particularly if it's loud.:D
Many of my lists will have Blues representations in it, but thats a whole other story.:cool:

Lagrange , ZZ Top
Shout, Isley Brothers
Old Time Rock and Roll, Bob Seger
Smokstack lightnin,Howlin Wolf
Walk This Way, Aerosmith
We Built This City,Journey
Don't stop believn',Journey
Tush, ZZ Top
I feel good, James Brown
Melody Gardot. Who will comfort me

fuse
04-26-2015, 08:45 AM
Great idea fuse, there have been many postings, mine included
that find it near impossible to narrow the field,cspan37421 too
suggested applying filters.

This seems to be an approach that can help the thread stay active and
Interesting. I have found music to listen here that I might not normally
have heard.

This list while not designed to be definitive, but it is represenative of
music, that energizes, and feels good, particularly if it's loud.:D
Many of my lists will have Blues representations in it, but thats a whole other story.:cool:

Lagrange , ZZ Top
Shout, Isley Brothers
Old Time Rock and Roll, Bob Seger
Smokstack lightnin,Howlin Wolf
Walk This Way, Aerosmith
We Built This City,Journey
Don't stop believn',Journey
Tush, ZZ Top
I feel good, James Brown
Melody Gardot. Who will comfort me

Great list.
We built this city is actually Jefferson Starship ( or airplane or whatever iteration they called themselves when the song was released). It's actually a rare song that makes me cringe when I hear it, but since this thread is your favorite music and not foolish fraternity stories, I'll save that tidbit for another time. Great song, just hard for me to listen to.

YmoBeThere
04-26-2015, 09:38 AM
but since this thread is your favorite music and not foolish fraternity stories, I'll save that tidbit for another time. Great song, just hard for me to listen to.

I wasn't in a frat so can't start that thread, but I do enjoy stories of people making fools of themselves.

BluDvlsN1
04-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Great list.
We built this city is actually Jefferson Starship ( or airplane or whatever iteration they called themselves when the song was released). It's actually a rare song that makes me cringe when I hear it, but since this thread is your favorite music and not foolish fraternity stories, I'll save that tidbit for another time. Great song, just hard for me to listen to.

Good call,
I pulled it off my IPod, and it was filed under Journey, and I think they did use/sing the
Song, but as to origins, yep slipped by me. :confused:

Thanks

YmoBeThere
04-26-2015, 11:06 AM
The year of my birth and one which I know very little about musically. So, I looked up the Billboard Hot 100 songs for that year for the first time ever and thankfully I was in utero for part of the year. 3 Dog Night, really? Different strokes for different folks...

Here are my selections for the Top Ten of that year(as a subset of the Billboard Hot 100):

Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
Riders on the Storm - The Doors
Wild World - Cat Stevens
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Bee Gees
Mr. Bojangles - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
You've Got A Friend - James Taylor
Take Me Home, Country Roads - John Denver
She's a Lady - Tom Jones
Superstar(Andrew Lloyd Webber version) - Murray Head & The Trindad Singers
Signs - Five Man Electrical Band, not bad but I'm much more familiar with the Tesla cover

Not really an epic year, IMHO.

BluDvlsN1
04-26-2015, 12:44 PM
The year of my birth and one which I know very little about musically. So, I looked up the Billboard Hot 100 songs for that year for the first time ever and thankfully I was in utero for part of the year. 3 Dog Night, really? Different strokes for different folks...

Here are my selections for the Top Ten of that year(as a subset of the Billboard Hot 100):

Wild World - Cat Stevens
She's a Lady - Tom Jones
Signs - Five Man Electrical Band, not bad but I'm much more familiar with the Tesla cover

Pretty special year for me,was fresh out of the Marine Corps,
VietNam was still on fire, and the year my oldest daughter was born.

There was much happening then in the music world as always.

Beyond your list which,for the time was representative, but music in general seemed expansive during that time.

There was also the dawning of Elton John's career, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young,were active collectivly and individually, Credence Clearwater Revival CCR were a mainstay, Grand Funk Railroad was "The" loudest band to hear in concert, Judy Collins ,who Steven Stills wrote and released in '69 "suite Judy Blue Eyes"and Crosby Stills & Nash performed and was very popular in '71 and beyond, and then, the British influence, R&B and so much more.

Your list brings back many great memories, I'm sure for your family also.
Thanks for bringing it up.

It was a unique era.
Being an "very old dawg"it was a continuance of a transformation in the
music world, that's my short version.

As a footnote to anyone so inclined, check out the 2008 Movie Cadillac Records, while not perfect by any means it is a fair outline of the trasition of music from Blues era ,to Rock n Roll, thru to the British invasion.

duke74
04-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Pretty special year for me,was fresh out of the Marine Corps,
VietNam was still on fire, and the year my oldest daughter was born.

There was much happening then in the music world as always.

Beyond your list which,for the time was representative, but music in general seemed expansive during that time.

There was also the dawning of Elton John's career, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young,were active collectivly and individually, Credence Clearwater Revival CCR were a mainstay, Grand Funk Railroad was "The" loudest band to hear in concert, Judy Collins ,who Steven Stills wrote and released in '69 "suite Judy Blue Eyes"and Crosby Stills & Nash performed and was very popular in '71 and beyond, and then, the British influence, R&B and so much more.

Your list brings back many great memories, I'm sure for your family also.
Thanks for bringing it up.

It was a unique era.
Being an "very old dawg"it was a continuance of a transformation in the
music world, that's my short version.

As a footnote to anyone so inclined, check out the 2008 Movie Cadillac Records, while not perfect by any means it is a fair outline of the trasition of music from Blues era ,to Rock n Roll, thru to the British invasion.

1970-1 was my first year at Duke - Windsor House...If I recall, "After the Goldrush" (1970 - Fall) was also big...as was "Tapestry."

devildeac
04-26-2015, 01:42 PM

Wild World - Cat Stevens
She's a Lady - Tom Jones

I'll see (and listen to) your 10 and raise you 15;).

Reason to Believe-Rod Stewart
Maggie May-Rod Stewart
Black Magic Woman-Santana
Brown Sugar-Rolling Stones
Stairway to Heaven-Led Zeppelin
Have You Seen the Rain-CCR
Won't Get Fooled Again-Who
Aqualung-Jethro Tull
Love Her Madly-Doors
What's Goin' On-Marvin Gaye
Get It On-T. Rex
I'm Eighteen-Alice Cooper
Roundabout-Yes
Changes-David Bowie
It's Too Late, Baby-Carole King

Senior year of HS with more of an influence from FM/"underground" radio than Billboard Top 100. A couple of those made my all-time top 10 list (I think:o). Some great memories/LPs/vinyl records from that list.

BluDvlsN1
04-26-2015, 03:32 PM
I'll see (and listen to) your 10 and raise you 15;).

Reason to Believe-Rod Stewart
Maggie May-Rod Stewart
Black Magic Woman-Santana
Brown Sugar-Rolling Stones
Have You Seen the Rain-CCR
Won't Get Fooled Again-Who
Aqualung-Jethro Tull
Love Her Madly-Doors
What's Goin' On-Marvin Gaye
Get It On-T. Rex
I'm Eighteen-Alice Cooper
Roundabout-Yes
Changes-David Bowie
It's Too Late, Baby-Carole King

Senior year of HS with more of an influence from FM/"underground" radio than Billboard Top 100. A couple of those made my all-time top 10 list (I think:o). Some great memories/LPs/vinyl records from that list.

And just under a decade of having a radio not plugged into a wall somewhere (transistor).
On your really cool list is Santana. Great choice, while from a guitar standpoint Clapton was, well, Clapton.
I always enjoyed C. Santana, and my personal favorite was always Samba Pa Ti.

OldPhiKap
04-26-2015, 03:54 PM
In the grocery store the other day, and "Coward of the County" was on the radio. Really random, had not heard that in forever. It got me to thinking of songs that were made into movies (TV or regular) or essentially inspired such a show Only three come to mind:

Coward of the County -- Kenny Rogers
The Gambler -- Kenny Rogers (several IIRC)
Harper Valley P.T.A. -- Tom T. Hall (made famous by Jeannie C. Riley)

I am sure I am missing some. What else?

Tommac
04-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Great list.

They were just plain Starship by the time We Built This City was released. Grace Slick was still in the band but Paul Katner and Marty Balin had left. It was sung by Mickey Thompson. I think the band had to shorten the name when Paul Katner left due to name ownership issues. I cringe when I hear the song now too.

Bob Green
04-26-2015, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure how I missed this thread and I certainly cannot limit my music to 10 songs, but here are 10 songs I really like:

1. While my Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles (George Harrison)
2. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
3. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
4. American Pie - Don McLean
5. Truckin - The Grateful Dead
6. Can't You See - Marshall Tucker Band
7. Feelin Alright - Joe Cocker
8. Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull
9. Get Back - The Beatles (Paul McCartney)
10. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

I could easily list another 10.

devildeac
04-26-2015, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure how I missed this thread and I certainly cannot limit my music to 10 songs, but here are 10 songs I really like:

Several of us have listed another 10. And then another 10...

:o;)

OldPhiKap
04-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Where are all the quants and spreadsheeters? We need a breakdown of repeat tunes, and repeat bands.

Then, see what Kenpom thinks of it.

devildeac
04-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Where are all the quants and spreadsheeters? We need a breakdown of repeat tunes, and repeat bands.

Then, see what Kenpom thinks of it.

Their "offensive" efficiency at this concert was better than Wisconsin's in the FF:

"The Who were listed as the "record holder", at 126 dB, measured at a distance of 32 meters from the speakers at a concert at The Valley in London on 31 May 1976."

There are several other bands reported to have achieved a higher measurement but not in D1 level R&R:rolleyes:.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudest_band_in_the_world

Plus, The Who is rumored to be using rent-a-players since Moon and Entwistle died.

It's also widely known that Townsend and Daltrey get all the calls.

OldPhiKap
04-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Their "offensive" efficiency at this concert was better than Wisconsin's in the FF:

"The Who were listed as the "record holder", at 126 dB, measured at a distance of 32 meters from the speakers at a concert at The Valley in London on 31 May 1976."

There are several other bands reported to have achieved a higher measurement but not in D1 level R&R:rolleyes:.

Plus, The Who is rumored to be using rent-a-players since Moon and Entwistle died.

I have seen The Who at least four times (closest guess at this point). Real rock and roll, baby!

fuse
04-26-2015, 09:54 PM

I sporked you for this post and also nominate it for the unofficial best post of the year. Well played!

fuse
04-26-2015, 10:01 PM
I said I'd try to do this on Mondays, getting an early start.

List your ten favorite songs featuring a great guitar riff or guitar solo.

devildeac
04-26-2015, 10:15 PM
I sporked you for this post and also nominate it for the unofficial best post of the year. Well played!

And a humble and gracious thank you. :o

BluDvlsN1
04-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Busy tomorrow, early entry, 1st cut.

Superstition, Stevie Wonder.. An iconic song largely on the bass guitar
Layla, Eric Clapton Opening Riff and beyond
Samba Pa Ti, Carlos Santana
While My Guitar Gently Weeps,George Harrison, personal preferance
Harrison and Clapton together
Gonna Shoot You right down, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page,
Jimmy Rogers,Robert Plant
Roadhouse Blues, Jeff Healy
Voodoo Child, Orianthi
Blues for M At Tollwood 2011, Ana Popovich
Just Got Paid, Joe Bonamassa
LaGrange, ZZ Top
Sweet Home Chicago, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Johnny Winter,Robert Cray
Hubert Sumlin and more
The Thrill is gone, BBKing Live at Montreaux 1993

captmojo
04-27-2015, 10:05 AM
I'll try to satisfy two questions.
---Best guit fiddle stuff and tunes from 1971---

One answer, because my winner would be an entire album.
'Live, at The Fillmore East, The Allman Brothers Band

This record caused me to begin to part my hair down the middle.

+ two, Thom Doucette and Elvin Bishop (Drunken Hearted Boy) an anthem if there ever was one
And, as for Ace Douce, when was the last time you ever heard the harmony of slide guitar and blues harp, so well done?

Tommac
04-27-2015, 10:40 AM

Bob, We must be close in age because we have similar music tastes. I didn't pick any of your songs but all of mine were in that era which we now call classic rock.

Jarhead
04-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Can't help but notice that many folks have far more than ten favorites. As for me, I'm sure that Ill have a lot more than ten, but that's because I started out with the big band era. My music library consists of CDs, vinyl 331/3 records, and a bunch of uncatalogued background music on my computer. Eagles music is playing right now. Having recently moved last fall, the CD's and records are still packed in storage boxes. Before I unpack them i will have to set up my sound system, so I won't be able to prepare any version of a top 10 list for a while. Being retired, I am so busy that finding the time is impossible.

I hope this thread doesn't go away.5055

fuse
04-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Guitar Riffs / Solos - this was a list that I might have been able to get into at least triple digits....

10. Star Spangled Banner, Jimi Hendrix
9. Reeling in the Years, Steely Dan
8. Sultans of Swing, Dire Straits
7. Cult of Personality, Living Colour
6. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
5. Loser, Beck
4. Black Magic Woman, Santana
3. Dirty Diana, Michael Jackson
2. Free Bird, Lynyrd Skynyrd
1. Barracuda, Heart

There's probably opportunity to do this by decade- not sure if this is my best/final shot, I do think all have awesome guitar.
Leaving off Clapton, Led Zeppelin (among others) an injustice but part of the fun :-)

Reilly
04-27-2015, 03:42 PM
... songs that were made into movies (TV or regular) or essentially inspired such a show Only three come to mind:

Coward of the County -- Kenny Rogers
The Gambler -- Kenny Rogers (several IIRC)
Harper Valley P.T.A. -- Tom T. Hall (made famous by Jeannie C. Riley)

I am sure I am missing some. What else?

Cheating via wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_based_on_songs

lotusland
04-27-2015, 05:55 PM
It would be tough to list just the 10 best Zeppelin riffs . Basically guitar riffs are why I think Jimmy Page and Keth Richard are great Guitarist. Maybe Eric Johnson and Pat Metheny are more skilled but who wnats to play air guitar to that?

1. Satisfaction
2. Layla
3. Back in Black
4. Johnny B. Goode
5. Whole 'Lotta Love
6. Barracuda
7. Honky Tonk Women (Guitar and Cow bell)
8. Black Dog
9. Jumpin' Jack Flash
10.Kashmir

Honorable mention:
1. The Ocean
2. Moby Dick
3. Living Loving Maid
4. Dancing Days
5.Bring it on Home
6. Misty Mt. Hop
7. Gimme Shelter
8. Imminence Front
9. D'yer Mak'er
10 Start Me Up - cuz I was front row and center in Carter Finley '89 when this happened https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IOL-VT-WnE

devildeac
04-27-2015, 07:15 PM
No special order:

25 or 6 to 4-Chicago
Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits
While My Guitar Gently Weeps-Beatles with L'Angelo Misterioso
Layla-Derek and the Dominos
Crossroads-Cream
Last Steam Engine Train-John Fahey or Leo Kottke (take you pick)
Surfing with the Alien-Joe Satriani
Busted Bicycle-Leo Kottke

OldPhiKap
04-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Because you know you've done it.

1. Tom Sawyer -- Rush
2. Karn Evil 9 -- Emerson, Lake & Palmer
3. La Grange -- ZZ Top
4. Won't Get Fooled Again -- The Who (could pick Magic Bus or My Generation too I guess)
5. Stairway -- Zep (could have picked Moby Dick but that would be a self-indulgent air drum)
6. Brain Damage --> Eclipse -- Pink Floyd (Technically two songs, but not by the time you get to the end of the album)
7. Time Loves A Hero -- Little Feat
8. Any song by The Band (I'll go with Up On Cripple Creek but almost any would make the list -- rest in peace, Levon)
9. Kid Charlamagne -- Steely Dan
10. (What's So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding -- Elvis Costello version (although Nick Lowe original rocks)

Now, waiting for Weezie to call me an old geezer again)

captmojo
04-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Because you know you've done it.

1. Tom Sawyer -- Rush
4. Won't Get Fooled Again -- The Who (could pick Magic Bus or My Generation too I guess)
5. Stairway -- Zep (could have picked Moby Dick but that would be a self-indulgent air drum)

Trying to keep up with Peart, Moon or Bonzo, is best attempted through the air.

Udaman
04-29-2015, 11:43 AM
10 is just too tough. I have a mix in ITunes that I call Top 100, and even that's tough (and changing). If I had to pick my absolute favorites they would be

Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John
Southern Cross - CSN
Imagine - Lennon
Levon - Elton John
The Boxer - S&G
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel
I Don't Care Anymore - Phil Collins (greatest breakup song ever)
Amie - Pure Prairie League
Lay Your Hands on Me - Thompson Twins
Never Been to Spain - Three Dog Night
Stairway - Duh
Hotel California - Duh
Me and Bobby McGee - Joplin
Pink Houses - Melloncamp
Love the One You're With - Stills
Hey Jude - Duh
Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
Into the Mystic - Van Morrison
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Beast of Burden - Stones
Sympathy for the Devil - Stones
You Can't Always Get What You Want - Stones
Don't Let me Down - Beatles
Oh Darling - Beatles
Don't Come Around Here No More - Petty
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Regatta de Blanc - Police
So Lonely - Police
Landed - Ben Folds
All I Want is You - U2
With or Without You - U2
One - U2
You Got Lucky - Petty
Wrapped Around Your Finger - Police
You're All I've Got Tonight - Cars
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out - Bruce
Love Reign O'er Me - The Who
Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
Barbara O'Reily - The Who
Take It To the Limit - Eagles
Change of Heart - Petty
Late in the Evening - Paul Simon

There's no way I could try and pick a true Top 10 from that group, because depending on the day or mood I'm in, one would move up or down. But I could listen to those songs on shuffle all day, every day and never get bored.

CameronBlue
04-30-2015, 01:08 AM
No special order:

25 or 6 to 4-Chicago
Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits
While My Guitar Gently Weeps-Beatles with L'Angelo Misterioso
Layla-Derek and the Dominos
Crossroads-Cream
Last Steam Engine Train-John Fahey or Leo Kottke (take you pick)
Surfing with the Alien-Joe Satriani
Busted Bicycle-Leo Kottke

During a tribute to Harrison which is on YouTube, Prince or Mr. X, or the Artist formerly known as a symbol that could pass as a legal signature on a ballot in the Deep South, circa 1964, that "guy" did a solo you absolutely have to see. He may not know his name but he is a damn fine guitarist as I presume everyone here knows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y Now I will retire to my music room with my Martin and continue with my juke box hero fantasy. Hey don't laugh, I've mastered "Classical Gas" (but the dog gets most of the credit.)

Bob Green
05-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Not to rain on this happy parade, but I just read B.B. King is experiencing rapidly failing health due to his decades long battle with diabetes.

OldPhiKap
05-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Not to rain on this happy parade, but I just read B.B. King is experiencing rapidly failing health due to his decades long battle with diabetes.

And Ben E. King passed today.

-jk
05-01-2015, 09:04 PM

Stand By Me...

-jk

OldPhiKap
05-01-2015, 09:53 PM

Since I named it as one of my top ten:

http://youtu.be/xVxCtt3s_1M

(This version with Tracy Chapman).

And, one with Jerry and Grisman:

http://youtu.be/9zquX7Vrn-Q

(Mandatory noodling at beginning, of course)

devildeac
05-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Stand By Me...

-jk

Said the exact same thing to my wife when she informed me this afternoon. Great minds...

devildeac
05-01-2015, 11:11 PM

Stand By Me...

-jk

Save the Last Dance for Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-XQ26KePUQ

Can't count the number of times my wife and I have danced to this great song. Shag, Cha-cha or Salsa. Ben E. King, Drifters, Michael Buble. Any version. Any time. :(

YmoBeThere
05-01-2015, 11:50 PM
I was 13/14 when Stand By Me came out in movie form and introduced Ben E. King to so many of us. For me it was the perfect time for that coming of age movie and his song put the bow on the package.

Reilly
05-02-2015, 06:31 AM

Stand By Me...

Through some dumb luck (my brother winning tickets and a free trip via a radio station giveaway; and only then b/c my brother-in-law called into the station impersonating my brother b/c he was on the clock after his postcard had been drawn), I was able to go to the 1987 Prince's Trust concert at Wembley Indoor Stadium -- Prince Charles and Lady Di hosting (they really seemed a misfit to my eye), and Clapton, Elton John, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Bryan Adams among others playing. I had seats on the floor about 15 rows from the stage.

When Eric Clapton introduced Ben E. King to sing "Stand by Me", Clapton said something to the effect of "it's the greatest love song ever written."

devildeac
05-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Through some dumb luck (my brother winning tickets and a free trip via a radio station giveaway; and only then b/c my brother-in-law called into the station impersonating my brother b/c he was on the clock after his postcard had been drawn), I was able to go to the 1987 Prince's Trust concert at Wembley Indoor Stadium -- Prince Charles and Lady Di hosting (they really seemed a misfit to my eye), and Clapton, Elton John, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Bryan Adams among others playing. I had seats on the floor about 15 rows from the stage.

When Eric Clapton introduced Ben E. King to sing "Stand by Me", Clapton said something to the effect of "it's the greatest love song ever written."

Sounds like a real Magic Moment;). Great story.

devildeac
05-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Fuse is out of town for the weekend (some cryptic note about sports and suds;)) and I've been listening to Ben E. King, the Drifters and "beach music" all morning and thought of this one:

Favorite/Best Cover Songs-name your top 10 (or 20).

TruBlu
05-02-2015, 01:57 PM
I was 13/14 when Stand By Me came out in movie form and introduced Ben E. King to so many of us. For me it was the perfect time for that coming of age movie and his song put the bow on the package.

Youngster! I was 13/14 when the song came out. Stand by Me didn't make my top ten list, but was a high honorable mention.

OldPhiKap
05-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Fuse is out of town for the weekend (some cryptic note about sports and suds;)) and I've been listening to Ben E. King, the Drifters and "beach music" all morning and thought of this one:

Favorite/Best Cover Songs-name your top 10 (or 20).

Top ten cover songs:

1. (What's So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding -- Elvis Costello (Nick Lowe)
2. All Along the Watchtower -- Hendrix (Dylan)
3. Feelin' Alright -- Joe Cocker (Dave Mason/Traffic)
4. Money (That's What I Want)-->Pressure Drop -- David Gray (Barrett Strong; Jimmy Cliff)
5. You Can't Always Get What You Want --> Love the One You're With -- Neville Bros. (Stones; CSN)
6. Not Fade Away (Brent Mydland versions) -- Grateful Dead (Buddy Holly)
7. Another Brick in the Wall -- Keller Williams (Pink Floyd)
8. Free Fallin' -- John Mayer (Tom Petty)
9. I Fought the Law (and the Law Won) -- The Clash (Bobby Fuller Four)
10. Pretty Woman -- Van Halen (Roy Orbison)

YmoBeThere
05-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Youngster! I was 13/14 when the song came out. Stand by Me didn't make my top ten list, but was a high honorable mention.

LOL, the 20 and early 30 somethings I work with think I'm old...

My 10 best covers:
With a Little Help from My Friends - Joe Cocker (The Beatles)
Suspicious Minds - Fine Young Cannibals (Elvis Presley)
Big Yellow Taxi - Counting Crows (Joni Mitchell)
Pretty Woman - Van Halen (Roy Orbison) concur with OPK on this one
Knockin' on Heavens Door - Guns N Roses (Bob Dylan) have a bootleg copy on cassette that is the best version I've ever heard
Hurt - Johnny Cash(Nine Inch Nails) role reversal here as the master borrows from the youngsters
I Will Survive - Cake(Gloria Gaynor)
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm(Michael Jackson)
Blue Hawaii - Willie Nelson(Elvis Presley) from a favorite of mine, The Honeymoon in Vegas soundtrack
Better Man - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band with Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) not really released but readily available via YouTube. I listen to this song just for the transition from Clarence on the sax to the guitars.
A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall - Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians (Bob Dylan) in case Better Man doesn't count

OldPhiKap
05-02-2015, 03:33 PM
LOL, the 20 and early 30 somethings I work with think I'm old...

My 10 best covers:
With a Little Help from My Friends - Joe Cocker (The Beatles)
Suspicious Minds - Fine Young Cannibals (Elvis Presley)
Big Yellow Taxi - Counting Crows (Joni Mitchell)
Pretty Woman - Van Halen (Roy Orbison) concur with OPK on this one
Knockin' on Heavens Door - Guns N Roses (Bob Dylan) have a bootleg copy on cassette that is the best version I've ever heard
Hurt - Johnny Cash(Nine Inch Nails) role reversal here as the master borrows from the youngsters
I Will Survive - Cake(Gloria Gaynor)
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm(Michael Jackson)
Blue Hawaii - Willie Nelson(Elvis Presley) from a favorite of mine, The Honeymoon in Vegas soundtrack
Better Man - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band with Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) not really released but readily available via YouTube. I listen to this song just for the transition from Clarence on the sax to the guitars.
A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall - Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians (Bob Dylan) in case Better Man doesn't count

These two belong on any list, agreed.

dball
05-02-2015, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE= Hey don't laugh, I've mastered "Classical Gas" (but the dog gets most of the credit.)[/QUOTE]

Not the first dog to be blamed for gas.

BluDvlsN1
05-02-2015, 04:06 PM
With links

Imagine, John Lennon. By Randy Crawford at Montreaux, Casino Lights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJViwpo0KlQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Can You Stop the Rain, Pebo Bryson, performed by Grover Washington Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlpGbx2hPzA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ain't no Sunshine, Bill Withers, performed by Boney James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skfDD-Sa3Sk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

At Last, Etta James, performed by Beyonce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8FHwsATN0E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Human Nature, Michael Jackson, performed by Miles Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NvLieJFjh8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It was almost like a song, Hal David, performed by Johnny Hartman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cPqf_4h7IY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Between the Sheets, Isley Brothers, performed by Fourplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXNK2refwpY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Walk on by, Burt Bacharach, performed by Peter White & Boney James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NUDi5o2u40&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Who is that Lady, Isley Brothers, performed by Peter White

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6bVu6Ok_8w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For all we know, J.Fred Coots, Performed by Kirk Whalum, Sax is for Lovers

(Best Available)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRtuejdeUWo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

St. Elsewhere, Dave Grusin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9zA4rUDbjI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Reilly
05-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Covers -- just two

"In Your Eyes" by Jeffrey Gaines (Peter Gabriel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWk7HkkytuQ

"You and Tequila" by Kenny Chesney ft. Grace Potter (Deana Carter and Matraca Berg)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8XkLrErSHw

devildeac
05-03-2015, 06:10 AM
In no particular order:

Title-Original Artist-Cover Artist/s

Locomotion-Little Eva/Grand Funk Railroad
Dancing in the Street-Martha and the Vandellas/Van Halen
Devil in the Blue Dress-Shorty Long/Mitch Ryder/Bruce Springsteen
Sing, Sing, Sing-Louis Prima/Benny Goodman Orchestra
Rock Lobster-B52s/DUMB (just had to include this:o)
Pink Cadillac-Bruce Springsteen/Natalie Cole
Roll Over Beethoven-Chuck Berry/Beatles/Electric Light Orchestra
Crossroads-Robert Johnson/Cream
Up the Ladder to the Roof-Supremes/Nylons/Rhythm and Blue (our son's a capella group at Duke:o)
Heard It through the Grapevine-Smokey and the Miracles/Marvin Gaye/Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Way You Look Tonight-Fred Astaire/Frank Sinatra/Michael Buble
Sway (Quien Sera)-Demetrio and Ruiz/Dean Martin/Michael Buble
You Really Got Me-Kinks/Van Halen
Man Who Sold the World-David Bowie/Nirvana
All the Young Dudes-Mott the Hoople/David Bowie
All Along the Watchtower-Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix/Dave Matthews Band
Proud Mary-Creedence Clearwater Revival/Ike and Tina Turner
Higher Ground-Stevie Wonder/Red Hot Chili Peppers
With a Little Help from My Friends-Beatles/Joe Cocker
Smooth Criminal-Michael Jackson/Alien Ant Farm
Oh, Pretty Woman-Roy Orbison/Van Halen
Blinded by the Light-Bruce Springsteen/Manfred Man
Because the Night-Patti Smith/Bruce Springsteen/10,000 Maniacs
Fire-Pointer Sisters/Bruce Springsteen

(I lost count:o.)

I'm going to have to listen to the original and cover versions of Hurt based on OPK's and YBT's lists above. I know the original I Will Survive but am not familiar with Cake's version. Ahhh, more time "wasting" today:o.

OldPhiKap
05-03-2015, 08:09 AM
In no particular order:

Title-Original Artist-Cover Artist/s

Locomotion-Little Eva/Grand Funk Railroad
Dancing in the Street-Martha and the Vandellas/Van Halen
Devil in the Blue Dress-Shorty Long/Mitch Ryder/Bruce Springsteen
Sing, Sing, Sing-Louis Prima/Benny Goodman Orchestra
Rock Lobster-B52s/DUMB (just had to include this:o)
Pink Cadillac-Bruce Springsteen/Natalie Cole
Roll Over Beethoven-Chuck Berry/Beatles/Electric Light Orchestra
Crossroads-Robert Johnson/Cream
Up the Ladder to the Roof-Supremes/Nylons/Rhythm and Blue (our son's a capella group at Duke:o)
Heard It through the Grapevine-Smokey and the Miracles/Marvin Gaye/Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Way You Look Tonight-Fred Astaire/Frank Sinatra/Michael Buble
Sway (Quien Sera)-Demetrio and Ruiz/Dean Martin/Michael Buble
You Really Got Me-Kinks/Van Halen
Man Who Sold the World-David Bowie/Nirvana
All the Young Dudes-Mott the Hoople/David Bowie
All Along the Watchtower-Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix/Dave Matthews Band
Proud Mary-Creedence Clearwater Revival/Ike and Tina Turner
Higher Ground-Stevie Wonder/Red Hot Chili Peppers
With a Little Help from My Friends-Beatles/Joe Cocker
Smooth Criminal-Michael Jackson/Alien Ant Farm
Oh, Pretty Woman-Roy Orbison/Van Halen
Blinded by the Light-Bruce Springsteen/Manfred Man
Because the Night-Patti Smith/Bruce Springsteen/10,000 Maniacs
Fire-Pointer Sisters/Bruce Springsteen

(I lost count:o.)

I'm going to have to listen to the original and cover versions of Hurt based on OPK's and YBT's lists above. I know the original I Will Survive but am not familiar with Cake's version. Ahhh, more time "wasting" today:o.

All the Young Dudes was actually written by Bowie, but recorded first by MtH. (Which is another whole list I guess)

You really need to see the Hurt video, it is powerful. It was released just a short time before June Carter Cash passed. Really really powerful:

http://youtu.be/vt1Pwfnh5pc

And of course, Cake (a live version, but the album one rocks too):

http://youtu.be/cvsI3jc4pPA

OldPhiKap
05-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Forgot to add: Mott the Hoople also had a hit with a cover of Velvet Underground's (I.e. Lou Reed's) Sweet Jane -- but Cowboy Junkies nailed that song too.

devildeac
05-03-2015, 01:57 PM
All the Young Dudes was actually written by Bowie, but recorded first by MtH. (Which is another whole list I guess)

You really need to see the Hurt video, it is powerful. It was released just a short time before June Carter Cash passed. Really really powerful:

Oh, I knew Bowie wrote All the Young Dudes and I think recorded it several months after MtH. Wasn't quite sure how to list that:confused:. Maybe something like "Songs written by one artist, recorded by another artist and then covered by the original composer." Yeah, that works:p. I agree with you, sounds like it's time for another list with that criterion! Kinda the same thing with Because the Night. Springsteen wrote most of it I think and then passed it on to Patti Smith to modify and then record and then recorded it himself:eek:. Similar things that I read about Fire and Pink Cadillac.

I listened to both versions of I Will Survive and like Gaynor's version better, even though disco sucks. The fans in Detroit were correct:o. I watched/listen to both versions of Hurt on my phone this AM and reckon that wasn't doing the song/performance due Justise (see what I did there?) so I'll re-watch them on a PC monitor when I get home a bit later today. Thanks.

devildeac
05-03-2015, 09:45 PM

The Hurt video is dark, stark, chilling and haunting. The production of it, accompanied by that song, the lyrics and Cash's voice/intonation is riveting. Great suggestion. I'll move that into my top 5 covers. Perhaps top 3. Maybe higher.

OldPhiKap
05-03-2015, 10:09 PM
The Hurt video is dark, stark, chilling and haunting. The production of it, accompanied by that song, the lyrics and Cash's voice/intonation is riveting. Great suggestion. I'll move that into my top 5 covers. Perhaps top 3. Maybe higher.

Cash gave the director access to all his old videos, etc. johnny had a house in Jamaica, and the director brought the video to him. Johnny did not want to release it, the rest of the family convinced him to do it.

June CC died shortly thereafter, and then of course John followed soon behind.

My favorite release after his passing:

http://youtu.be/eJlN9jdQFSc

(A lot of folks mentioned in this thread are in this short video. Plus a bunch who should be).

YmoBeThere
05-03-2015, 10:40 PM
My claim to fame in the late '90's was that I lived up the street from the Cash place in Hendersonville, TN northeast of Nashville. I drove by the House of Cash store/museum on a near daily basis. It was right across from Twitty City. Most of the older country stars were up to the northeast of town. The newer era of country stars made their homes in the Franklin and Brentwood part of town. Eventually, many ended up near Music Row a couple blocks from Vandy(where I went to grad school). Taylor Swift was a few floors up from some friends in the Adelicia. I think she has since sold her place there.

devildeac
05-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Cash gave the director access to all his old videos, etc. johnny had a house in Jamaica, and the director brought the video to him. Johnny did not want to release it, the rest of the family convinced him to do it.

June CC died shortly thereafter, and then of course John followed soon behind.

My favorite release after his passing:

http://youtu.be/eJlN9jdQFSc

(A lot of folks mentioned in this thread are in this short video. Plus a bunch who should be).

>25 million views. Scary stuff.

lotusland
05-05-2015, 12:22 PM
With my cover songs list I choose to examine a songwriter that I came to know from being covered by so many other great songwriters. Today every wannabe songwriting prodigy from Jeff Tweedy of Wilco and Connor Oberst of Bright Eyes to Lera Lynn claim influence by TVZ. Townes Van Zandt was and is an almost mythical figure who reminds me of the Dean Moriarty character in Kerouac’s On the Road…

“Oh, Dean, where do we start? To Sal you are "angel" and "devil," "Shrouded Traveler," "Holy Goof," "saint," "God," "Angel of Terror," "Soul of Beat," "con-man," and countless others. You are somehow both a pedophile and sexual icon, hero and potential drug addict, criminal and holy guru. Men want to be you, women want to sleep with you.”

I still don’t care for Townes’ limited voice and prefer these cover versions but I’ve come to appreciate his solemn lyrical genius. I’ll start the list with the only song resembling a hit that Townes ever wrote:

TVZ/Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard - Poncho and Lefty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvdmxszsDM8

TVZ/Steve Earl – Two Girls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2xqqV3dvrs
“The swimmin’ hole was full of rum – I tried to find out wh but all I learned, was this my friend, you gotta swim before you fly…”

TVZ/Lucinda Williams – Nothin’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48KVVFiL0b4 – No one does bleak and sorrowful without being whiney like Townes and Lucinda!

TVZ/Nancy Griffith – Tecumseh Valley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN4EXY91SJw off Nancy’s Other Voices Other Rooms album of covers

TVZ/Pat Green and Natalie Maines – Snowin’ on Raton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDh-V6pk2C4 Can’t be a Texas songwriter without and obligatory Townes Cover. REK also does a nice cover of this one

TVZ/Lyle Lovett – Flyin’ Shoes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3oY7b-Q4Eg Makes dying sound really peaceful doesn’t it?

TVZ/Emmy Lou Harris – If I needed You https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a3jr-Xn1GM
TVZ/Cowboy Junkies - Highway Kind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbmglL8plEI
TVZ/ Deer Tick - White Freightliner Blues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSs-Pitom4s
White Freightliner is a heroin song. Townes was a “casual user” but alcohol was his Achilles heel. Still he knew a lot of folks who succumbed to it. Great covers also by Gillian Welch, Billy Joe Shaver, Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett and The Flatlanders

TVZ/Star Anna – Rake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB9nPDrFFWw
TVZ/Whitey Morgan – Waitin’ ‘Round to Die https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHhZO21SGI4
TVZ/Guy Clark – To Live’s to Fly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APTmx2uqdO8

TVZ/Steve Earle and Justine Towns Earle – Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvlxzQeUsQo

Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold highlights Townes’ infatuation with gambling. The song has about 1000 words and the trick is to figure out the winning hand from the lyrics

Townes’ was known as a terrible alcoholic and, not coincidentally, a horrible gambler. The following story, told live at the Bluebird in Nashville with Guy Clark and Steve Earle about losing his gold tooth shooting dice, is a great example and maybe the funniest true story I’ve ever heard. Enjoy the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhzifgtKiYQ

Townes was a gregarious and tragic figure who, in addition to alcoholism, suffered mightily from clinical depression, which explains how he could inspire uproarious laughter in on moment and desperation the next as with the song he played following that story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZd8HsQAFAY

If you’re curious to learn more about Townes check out the documentary, Be Here to Love Me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydd2zoP1Tz0

BluDvlsN1
05-05-2015, 02:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YtwZxrnfNU

fuse
05-09-2015, 05:22 PM
I owe some air drumming and covers to the conversation (kudos for the Alien Ant Farm Smooth Criminal cover of Michael Jackson, imho might surpass the original, a rare feat.)

A bit early due to Mother's Day and my Monday being a bit hectic.

If the ear worm reference is unfamiliar, an ear worm is a song once you've heard it, it gets stuck in your head.

Anecdotally, I'm told the theme song from Sanford and Son is a tried and tested way to rid yourself of a pesky ear worm.

Can't wait to read how this ones turns out.

OldPhiKap
05-09-2015, 05:46 PM
I owe some air drumming and covers to the conversation (kudos for the Alien Ant Farm Smooth Criminal cover of Michael Jackson, imho might surpass the original, a rare feat.)

If the ear worm reference is unfamiliar, an ear worm is a song once you've heard it, it gets stuck in your head.

Anecdotally, I'm told the theme song from Sanford and Son is a tried and tested way to rid yourself of a pesky ear worm.

This should help then:

http://youtu.be/EqqMjrw91OY

Reilly
05-11-2015, 01:19 PM
I heard this song played recently, and it seemed familiar to me, echoing some rock song. Yet I couldn't think of the name any particular rock song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouK67-J3mEM

[I realize this is off-topic. My understanding of the rules of the game, however, is that no moderator is allowed to delete or move a post unless the poster says something to the effect of "Mods, please feel free to delete or move this" in the body of the post. I guess those are the rules, I see it written pretty often -- and I'm not saying that this time, so hopefully my question will get answered and my mind will be quieted.]

dball
05-11-2015, 03:00 PM
I heard this song played recently, and it seemed familiar to me, echoing some rock song. Yet I couldn't think of the name any particular rock song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouK67-J3mEM

[I realize this is off-topic. My understanding of the rules of the game, however, is that no moderator is allowed to delete or move a post unless the poster says something to the effect of "Mods, please feel free to delete or move this" in the body of the post. I guess those are the rules, I see it written pretty often -- and I'm not saying that this time, so hopefully my question will get answered and my mind will be quieted.]

Reminiscent of Marshall Tucker Band's "Fire on the Mountain" or at least that was first that occurred to me.

neemizzle
05-12-2015, 03:48 AM
I love this thread, because I'm a musicaholic.

My music isn't necessarily what everyone listens to though. But give it a shot!

10. I Believe by KB; If you know the soccer chant, chances are you'll know this (www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIbY0aiNDj4)

9. Not Gonna Die by Skillet; really love this song. Album? Not so much. Song? Absolutely. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJ7NZMH70M)

8. Mansion by NF; this guy has skill. Reminds me of Eminem in his lyrics. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpTBiwlOldE)

7. More Than Useless by Relient K; my Sunday drive song (www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1oN9vskt4w)

6. Uno Uno Seis by Andy Mineo; my "try to rap" song (www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lb9TMg5WM)

5. Fear by Lecrae my other "try to rap" song (www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvyIm5ZpW78)

4. Every New Day by Five Iron Frenzy; have loved this song for years. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjkTxmxtJ5c)

3. Fire Away by Tedashii; heard this song performed live when he did it live for the very first time in public (www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYT1cZhsfVI)

2. We Won't Be Shaken by Building 429; love love love this song! (www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDYWOH-q-RI)

1. Defender by Kings Kaleidoscope; heard this live 2 weeks ago. AMAZING band. Played basketball with them. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETswsebezcs)

fuse
05-17-2015, 09:18 PM

Been busy- haven't seen anyone take the ear worm bait, so I thought I'd tee it back up.

Kicking off a new thread that I think will generate some more music fun.

Jarhead
05-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Been busy- haven't seen anyone take the ear worm bait, so I thought I'd tee it back up.

Kicking off a new thread that I think will generate some more music fun.

Now just hold on there. I've been going through, in my mind mostly, a couple of thousand songs to rate in my top ten and I have eliminated only China Night. You know, it starts out, "she ain't got no yoyo...". so don't distract me. Since Mrs. Jarhead and I moved to our new home 6 months ago, I'm nowhere near hooking up my sound system, so I haven' unpacked my records, discs, or magnetic media. I only have ear worms with which to work. I woke up humming China Night the other night.

lotusland
06-11-2015, 04:10 PM
1. Go Wherever You Want to Go - Patty Griffin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPeIrp-aIOY
2. Semper Fi – John Gorka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9j1ybacUU
3. Waiting on June – Holly Williams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUH8VszQun8
4. Bridal Train – The Waifs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjDzP0r7KY
5. Johnny Come Lately – Steve Earle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMALsal-Vck
6. Let Them In – John Gorka (actually John put to music a poem found in a military hospital in the Philippines during WW2. The author was later identified as a nurse at the hospital after the song can out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0jKD48TrW8
7. Making Pies – Patty Griffin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HC7KABegj0
8. “Faithful Son” – Patty Griffin
9. “Irish Boy” – Patty Griffin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPOJEqE47w0
10. “Not a Bad Man” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYzJsbvNE6E
11. “Gonna Miss You When You’re Gone” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aadisBjQrI
12. “Please don’t let me die in Florida” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UcVtuwcKOo

Got to thinking about this after watching Holly Williams sing “Waitin’ on June” yesterday how these songs seem to be more common as the last folks of that generation pass on. The Generation marked by quiet dignity, humble service and faithfulness seems foreign to the “Me” generations that followed. I’m glad those guys didn’t stop on Omaha Beach to post a selfie on Facebook.

Patty Griffin’s last record “American Kid” was influenced primarily by time caring for her father in the year or so before he died. He was apparently a man of few words who always seemed a bit of a mystery to her. Typically, he said very little about the War and she was left to infer the magnitude of it’s influence on him from the pauses and silences between his sparse comments. And so the record shares how she came to know him during his last days or at least thought that she did.

“Oh my God, I cry in fear; Afraid you have forgot me here; Afraid you have forgotten one; Your quiet, dull and faithful son…Went to work: I worked all day; When I wanted to run I stayed. I kept the promises I made; I kept the promises I made…And I never would tell you then, so I never will tell you now all the things that break an old man down. The real truth is I don’t know how.”

“Well I danced in the arms of a black haired girl in Scollay Square after the war. And I drank to get drunk and sank and I stunk like a drunk on the subway floor…There are some things that must remain secret. You can find no good reason to tell. There’s too many men telling their secrets these days. So I’d like to tell them to all go to Hell. So I never had dreams and they never came true as far as you know anyway…”

“I am not a bad man; I want you to know. I signed up when I was 19. Now I’m 24 years old. There’s ghosts that follow me around. Things I said and did. But I am not a bad man; Just an American kid.”

“But I know you’re headed somewhere else. And now the secrets that you keep will be the things I’ll never know. Doesn’t matter either way; I’ll still miss you when you go.”

“Well I went to war to fight the Japs; When the war was over I through my cap just as far as you can throw a thing. I went home and gave my girl a ring. I put the Highways and the blacktop down, turned the prairies into the towns and those hills gave way just like a wedding gown; I put the highways and the blacktop down”

OldPhiKap
06-11-2015, 06:59 PM
1. Go Wherever You Want to Go - Patty Griffin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPeIrp-aIOY
2. Semper Fi – John Gorka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9j1ybacUU
3. Waiting on June – Holly Williams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUH8VszQun8
4. Bridal Train – The Waifs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjDzP0r7KY
5. Johnny Come Lately – Steve Earle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMALsal-Vck
6. Let Them In – John Gorka (actually John put to music a poem found in a military hospital in the Philippines during WW2. The author was later identified as a nurse at the hospital after the song can out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0jKD48TrW8
7. Making Pies – Patty Griffin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HC7KABegj0
8. “Faithful Son” – Patty Griffin
9. “Irish Boy” – Patty Griffin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPOJEqE47w0
10. “Not a Bad Man” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYzJsbvNE6E
11. “Gonna Miss You When You’re Gone” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aadisBjQrI
12. “Please don’t let me die in Florida” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UcVtuwcKOo

Got to thinking about this after watching Holly Williams sing “Waitin’ on June” yesterday how these songs seem to be more common as the last folks of that generation pass on. The Generation marked by quiet dignity, humble service and faithfulness seems foreign to the “Me” generations that followed. I’m glad those guys didn’t stop on Omaha Beach to post a selfie on Facebook.

Patty Griffin’s last record “American Kid” was influenced primarily by time caring for her father in the year or so before he died. He was apparently a man of few words who always seemed a bit of a mystery to her. Typically, he said very little about the War and she was left to infer the magnitude of it’s influence on him from the pauses and silences between his sparse comments. And so the record shares how she came to know him during his last days or at least thought that she did.

“Oh my God, I cry in fear; Afraid you have forgot me here; Afraid you have forgotten one; Your quiet, dull and faithful son…Went to work: I worked all day; When I wanted to run I stayed. I kept the promises I made; I kept the promises I made…And I never would tell you then, so I never will tell you now all the things that break an old man down. The real truth is I don’t know how.”

“Well I danced in the arms of a black haired girl in Scollay Square after the war. And I drank to get drunk and sank and I stunk like a drunk on the subway floor…There are some things that must remain secret. You can find no good reason to tell. There’s too many men telling their secrets these days. So I’d like to tell them to all go to Hell. So I never had dreams and they never came true as far as you know anyway…”

“I am not a bad man; I want you to know. I signed up when I was 19. Now I’m 24 years old. There’s ghosts that follow me around. Things I said and did. But I am not a bad man; Just an American kid.”

“But I know you’re headed somewhere else. And now the secrets that you keep will be the things I’ll never know. Doesn’t matter either way; I’ll still miss you when you go.”

“Well I went to war to fight the Japs; When the war was over I through my cap just as far as you can throw a thing. I went home and gave my girl a ring. I put the Highways and the blacktop down, turned the prairies into the towns and those hills gave way just like a wedding gown; I put the highways and the blacktop down”

Great list, look forward to exploring.

Favorite song about WW I. Only an Irishman could tell a song so sad (about Australia -- even sadder if you really know what Waltzing Matilda is about and the meaning of the lyrics):

http://youtu.be/PFCekeoSTwg

Not to bring tears to your eyes on a Thursday, but . . . .

Tripping William
06-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Prior to this performance:

"This is a song about my grandfather and he fought Rommel in North Africa. They kicked some I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. Rommel was no pushover." --Dave Matthews (singing "Oh" at Radio City Music Hall in 2007)

http://youtu.be/Vg-dBKWQVV8

My grandfather was injured in the Battle of the Bulge, receiving a Purple Heart. I identify.

Let me also add that, for my grandfather at least, Glenn Miller was the musical embodiment of his generation. He recuperated in a hospital near Dover, England, so White Cliffs of Dover always held a special place in his heart.

http://youtu.be/M4KKMGxVblQ

He died October 20, 1995, while I was at Duke Law. I miss him to this day.

lotusland
06-15-2015, 04:16 PM
1. “Songs About Texas” Pat Green - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z242kzdYs3A
2. “Tom Ames Prayer” Steve Earle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=793o8zRFVA8
3. “Corpus Christi Bay” Robert Earl Keen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0SR6nhlQrU
4. “Texas Eagle” – Steve Earle with The Del McCoury Bank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSK18G55xP4
5. “That’s Right You’re Not From Texas” Lyle Lovett and his Large Band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8rs_0XLyg
6. “Leveland” James McMurtry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-D824LHti4
7. Amarillo Highway Robert Earl Keen cover of a Terry Allen Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGFR__fGg8A
8. “All the Rage in Texas” The Derailers (Austin by way of Portland) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNfbKazxu_s
9. “My Hometown” Charlie Robison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg1pYtoWL6c
10. “Long Tall Texan” Sleepy LaBeef https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ8pc448YBo

-jk
06-15-2015, 04:39 PM
3. “Corpus Christi Bay” Robert Earl Keen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0SR6nhlQrU
4. “Texas Eagle” – Steve Earle with The Del McCoury Bank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSK18G55xP4
5. “That’s Right You’re Not From Texas” Lyle Lovett and his Large Band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8rs_0XLyg
7. Amarillo Highway Robert Earl Keen cover of a Terry Allen Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGFR__fGg8A
8. “All the Rage in Texas” The Derailers (Austin by way of Portland) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNfbKazxu_s

Where's the song about weird cow bbq? :)

-jk

lotusland
06-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Where's the song about weird cow bbq? :)

-jk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdyG_tDI-k

OldPhiKap
06-15-2015, 07:28 PM

No Ray Wiley Hubbard? http://youtu.be/8-cFtSPIF4Q

lotusland
06-15-2015, 09:10 PM
No Ray Wiley Hubbard? http://youtu.be/8-cFtSPIF4Q

Well I easily could have made a list of 0 or 30 and Ray Wiley Hubbard would probably make that list.

YmoBeThere
06-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Well I easily could have made a list of 0 or 30 and Ray Wiley Hubbard would probably make that list.

Corpus Christi but no El Paso?

lotusland
06-15-2015, 10:45 PM
Corpus Christi but no El Paso?

I'm not sure I know an El Paso song. Please share your favorites for my edification.

devildeac
06-15-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure I know an El Paso song. Please share your favorites for my edification.

Would this work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-y3DB0wLh4

;)

lotusland
06-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Would this work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-y3DB0wLh4

;)

Yep that works nicely. I'm not a huge Marty Robbins fan but I certainly do know the song.

YmoBeThere
06-15-2015, 11:18 PM
That was the one! And since I spent a couple days there over the holidays for the Sun Bowl, I felt the need to stick up for it.

OldPhiKap
06-16-2015, 07:37 AM
That was the one! And since I spent a couple days there over the holidays for the Sun Bowl, I felt the need to stick up for it.

El Paso was a great place to go bowling, agreed. Very welcoming city.

If you don't like Marty Robbins, maybe this cover version:

http://youtu.be/v5YZ8qUeoHk

lotusland
06-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Interestingly or not, both have penned songs about roads in Houston:

Wallisville Road by Lyle http://www.music-maps.com/songs/125/wallisville-road
Telephone Road by Steve Earle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibYBuV0IrTo

A nd both penned songs about a San Antonio Girl.

SE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0c16yUI9o
LL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkh3DuWIdSw

I'm not sure whether or not it's the same girl.

captmojo
06-16-2015, 02:06 PM

I'm just pleased as punch to see that 'Luckenbach' is NOT included here!

I had to hear it shouted, "One more time!" all too often.

devildeac
06-27-2015, 09:27 AM
BTTT. Any folks want to try naming their top 10 live songs/albums/CDs?

YmoBeThere
06-27-2015, 09:56 AM
I have a clear favorite for live song, Guns and Roses covering Bob Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door. This was around '89-'90, so long before they released it on an album. I have it on cassette somewhere around here.

Jungleland by Springsteen is also great live and my favorite more recent vintage song is Better Man with Eddie Vedder, The Boss and the Band circa 2004. The transition from guitars to saxophone and back is incredible.

OldPhiKap
06-27-2015, 10:11 AM
best live albums:

1. Waiting for Columbus - Little Feat
2. Live at the Regal -- BB King
3. One from the Vault -- Grateful Dead (Winterland '74}
4. Love Peace Power -- James Brown (Paris '71}
5. Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary -- Everyone
6. The Last Waltz-- The Band
7. Stop Making Sense -- Talking Heads
8. Led Zeppelin live at the BBC
9. Clash at Shea Stadium (1982)
10. Patsy Kline Live at the Cimmeron

lotusland
06-28-2015, 06:51 AM
"Live From Mars" Ben Harper - his music comes across way more organic in a live performance than his records and connects with me in a more personal way. This is probably my favorite live album ever.

Steve Earl at ACL 1986 - Exit 0 and Guitar Town are a bit heavy in 1980s over production so the live versions are a better versions of his early more rockabilly songs imo.

Steve Earl, Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt live at The Bluebird Cafe - great stories behind the songs

"A Kiss in Time" Patty Griffin - well she could sing the phone book and mesmerized me but live with Emmy Lou and Buddy and Julie Miller is just sublime

OldPhiKap
06-28-2015, 07:41 AM
"Live From Mars" Ben Harper - his music comes across way more organic in a live performance than his records and connects with me in a more personal way. This is probably my favorite live album ever.

Steve Earl at ACL 1986 - Exit 0 and Guitar Town are a bit heavy in 1980s over production so the live versions are a better versions of his early more rockabilly songs imo.

Steve Earl, Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt live at The Bluebird Cafe - great stories behind the songs

"A Kiss in Time" Patty Griffin - well she could sing the phone book and mesmerized me but live with Emmy Lou and Buddy and Julie Miller is just sublime

Townes' voice sounds pretty rough @ The Bluebird -- not sure how long it was recorded before he died. But three incredible songwriters all together. Three legends that more people should know about than do.

lotusland
06-28-2015, 07:57 AM
Townes' voice sounds pretty rough @ The Bluebird -- not sure how long it was recorded before he died. But three incredible songwriters all together. Three legends that more people should know about than do.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Townes voice but the stories a camaraderie at the bluebird are great. Townes fans say his "Live at the Old Quater" in Houston is his best work but I don't own that one.

lotusland
06-28-2015, 08:04 AM

Also "Together at The Bluebird" was recorded in September 1995 and Townes died January, 1997 so less than a year and a half apart.

NSDukeFan
06-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Reply to original thread title:

It Hasn't Hit Me Yet - Blue Rodeo
Where The Streets Have No Name - U2
The Scientist - Coldplay
New Orleans is Sinking - Tragically Hip
Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
Ready To Start - Arcade Fire (not sure if that is my favourite of theirs, but had to include them)
I Will Wait - Mumford & Sons
Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles

With apologies to:

All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
Stand By Me - Ben E. King
Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Teenage Wasteland - The Who
Imperial March - John L.
Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds
and many others

Fun exercise and I have enjoyed the many posts in this thread. Music is awesome.

OldPhiKap
06-28-2015, 09:40 PM

The Scientist - Coldplay
Ready To Start - Arcade Fire (not sure if that is my favourite of theirs, but had to include them)

With apologies to:

Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
Baba O'Riley - The Who
Imperial March - John L.
and many others

Fun exercise and I have enjoyed the many posts in this thread. Music is awesome.

Fixed one title for you. Great list.

NSDukeFan
06-28-2015, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the correction.

devildeac
06-28-2015, 10:13 PM

The Scientist - Coldplay

With apologies to:

Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
Teenage Wasteland - The Who
Imperial March - John L.
and many others

Maybe the Canadian release was indeed entitled Teenage Wasteland.

(kidding, kidding)

OldPhiKap
06-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Maybe the Canadian release was indeed entitled Teenage Wasteland.

(kidding, kidding)

If I lived in a place that beautiful, I'd call it whatever the hell I felt like calling it!

lotusland
07-03-2015, 08:36 PM
No Lee Greenwood schlock here:

1. Prince – America “Jimmy Nothin’ never went to school… Wouldn’t pledge allegiance...Said it wasn’t cool. Nothin’ made Jimmy proud…Now Jimmy lives on a mushroom cloud. America, America - God shed his grace on thee… America, America – Keep her children freeeeee.”
2. Prince – Free “Be Glad that you are free. There’s many a man who’s not. Be glad for you you’ve had and baby what you got. Be glad that you are free…free to change your mind…free to go most anywhere anytime.”
3. Tom Petty - American Girl “Oh Yeah..all right…take it easy baby…make it last all night (make it last all night). She was an AMERICAN GIRL”
4. James Brown – Living in America “Hand to hand across the Nation. Living in America – gotta have a celebration
5. Simon and Garfunkel – America “It took me four daysTo hitch-hike from Saginaw. I've come to look for America."
6. Johnny Cash - Ragged Old Flag https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=15&v=C2hYUP2mifI
7. Chuck Berry - Back in the U.S.A.
8. Ray Charles – America the Beautiful
9. Woody Guthrie - This Land is My Land
10. Kim Wilde - Kids in America
Honorable Mention
11. Dave Alvin – 4th of July
12. Bruce Springsteen – 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)

Tripping William
07-03-2015, 08:56 PM
No Lee Greenwood schlock here:

1. Prince – America “Jimmy Nothin’ never went to school… Wouldn’t pledge allegiance...Said it wasn’t cool. Nothin’ made Jimmy proud…Now Jimmy lives on a mushroom cloud. America, America - God shed his grace on thee… America, America – Keep her children freeeeee.”
2. Prince – Free “Be Glad that you are free. There’s many a man who’s not. Be glad for you you’ve had and baby what you got. Be glad that you are free…free to change your mind…free to go most anywhere anytime.”
3. Tom Petty - American Girl “Oh Yeah..all right…take it easy baby…make it last all night (make it last all night). She was an AMERICAN GIRL”
4. James Brown – Living in America “Hand to hand across the Nation. Living in America – gotta have a celebration
5. Simon and Garfunkel – America “It took me four daysTo hitch-hike from Saginaw. I've come to look for America."
6. Johnny Cash - Ragged Old Flag https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=15&v=C2hYUP2mifI
7. Chuck Berry - Back in the U.S.A.
8. Ray Charles – America the Beautiful
9. Woody Guthrie - This Land is My Land
10. Kim Wilde - Kids in America
Honorable Mention
11. Dave Alvin – 4th of July
12. Bruce Springsteen – 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)

No Saturday In The Park? The Windy City weeps.

OldPhiKap
08-01-2015, 03:31 PM
A thread on the main page brought up Talking Heads' Remain in Light. Certainly deserves a shout-out on this thread if I have failed to do so.

Oh, and the other day I pulled out Blood on the Tracks and listened in entirety for the first time in about four years. Wow. Bang. Again.

weezie
08-01-2015, 03:57 PM
I'm pretty sure we'll play "Girlfriend Is Better" at my husband's wake, hopefully not too soon on that.

Both kids know the lyrics perfectly.

captmojo
08-10-2015, 11:16 AM
BTTT. Any folks want to try naming their top 10 live songs/albums/CDs?

Live eh? Mmmmm.....

Live at the Fillmore East Allman Bros
Johnny Winter And
Jimmy Thackery & The Drivers in Detroit
Live at Leeds The Who
Waiting for Columbus Little Feat
Live in Chicago Luther Allison
Live at San Quentin BB King
Buried Alive in the Blues The Chicago Blues Reunion
The Last Waltz The Band
Four Way Street CSN&Y
Pulse Pink Floyd
Band of Gypsies
17-11-70 Elton John

I could go on, and on, and on...

YmoBeThere
08-11-2015, 06:05 AM
Live at Wembley Stadium - Queen is the only live album I have in my collection. Well, of a rock and roll nature. I've got some classical, vocal/opera stuff also.

lotusland
08-11-2015, 09:44 PM
Live eh? Mmmmm.....

Live at the Fillmore East Allman Bros
Johnny Winter And
Jimmy Thackery & The Drivers in DetroitLive at Leeds The Who
Waiting for Columbus Little Feat
Live in Chicago Luther Allison
Live at San Quentin BB King
Buried Alive in the Blues The Chicago Blues Reunion
The Last Waltz The Band
Four Way Street CSN&Y
Pulse Pink Floyd
Band of Gypsies
17-11-70 Elton John

I could go on, and on, and on...

A close friend of mine booked blues bands for Intrepid Artists for a while and Jimy Thackery was one of their biggest acts at the time so I saw him and his band play many times. He's a great guitarist and a very interesting but somehwat mercurial guy. His band is named The Drivers because Jimmy doesn't have a drivers license so the base player and drummer drive the van everywhere. Jimmy also didn't have a bank account back in the 90s. I have a pretty impressive guitar pick collection but I could not get Jimmy to part with one because he plays with imported picks made from actual tortoise shell which is apparently illegal and hard to come by. Had back stage passes at Memphis in May one year in the late 90's for weekend when Jimmy played there and got to meet Luther Allison shortly before he died along with his son Bernard who is also a pretty impressive guitarist. Also got to chat awhile with Keb Mo and was introduced to Bonnie Raitt just before her set. I'm big Bonnie Raitt fan but she was in a foul mood and apparently is known for being a handful on the road. I think artists often have a weird outlook which makes industry folks shake thier heads. I've known club owners, artist managers and the owner of a concert security firm and I've heard some crazy stories.

My favorite live albums are by my favorite artists so it's not that interesting a list. However, I'll never forget the first live album I bought even though I haven't listened to it since Middle School.

"You wanted the best - you got the best. The hottest band in the WORLD...KISS"
" You've been great; We've been KISS...Goodnight!"

BluDvlsN1
08-12-2015, 01:19 PM
This isn't a top ten post, may even be old news, but wanted to share
because it is so cool :cool:.

Most here will surely get this..

Can't get the song out of my head after seeing this.:rolleyes:

YmoBeThere
08-12-2015, 01:53 PM

No need to get so worked up, take it easy.

devildeac
08-12-2015, 02:19 PM

That is such a fine sight to see...

rasputin
08-12-2015, 03:27 PM
That is such a fine sight to see...

who's next door?

BluDvlsN1
08-12-2015, 03:50 PM
who's next door?

"It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford"
(notice reflection?)

rasputin
08-12-2015, 03:56 PM
"It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford"
(notice reflection?)

Holy smokes. My memory from forty years ago is lousy.

Anyway, is she slowing down? If so, why?

devildeac
08-12-2015, 05:18 PM
who's next door?

Holy smokes. My memory from forty years ago is lousy.

Anyway, is she slowing down? If so, why?

I think you want the Misheard Lyrics thread:rolleyes:;).

A: "...to take a look at me."

YmoBeThere
09-20-2015, 12:32 PM
DevilAlumna - you did miss this thread.

Billy Dat
09-22-2015, 10:30 AM

This is a great thread, I applaud the recent bumping of it back to the top of the page because I missed it the first time, must have been too busy trying to find every bit of post-championship coverage on the web.

You posed an interesting question, gumbomoop. I am a music nutter and am also newly middle aged. What I find, and I am sure there are stats to back this up, is that the majority of people's "music education", for lack of a better term, ceases when they leave college or shortly after. During the years of their education, they are surrounded by young people and music is everywhere, playing at parties, etc. Music is a huge soundtrack for young people's lives. When work begins, unless someone keeps an active interest in exploring new music, that person's tastes "freeze". They don't discover new artists, they stop going to see live shows, their collection doesn't grow. I am in my early 40s, and a lot of my non music-nutter friends still basically listen to either the classic rock that formed their music education when they were 10-18, or they like what was popular when we were in college - grunge. 20+ years have passes since we graduated and a ton of great bands in all genres have emerged yet they know nothing of them - Wilco, Radiohead, TV on the Radio, et al. Those that were huge early 90s hip hop fans never graduated to JayZ, Kendrick Lamar, etc. And, this thread has mentioned lots of other great artists who have emerged over the past 20 years - the Avett Brothers, Arcade Fire, I mean, it seems very natural that a U2 fan would at least give Arcade Fire a try, but those U2 fans might not be plugged in enough to even know that Arcade Fire exists. Trying new music has never been easier as it is literally available for free on YouTube and a dozen other places, but people wanting to plug back in need curators to filter the ocean, to regulate the fire hose. This thread has been great for that. When someone sees how into music I am, I usually get two questions, "How do you find new bands to listen to?" and "Can you recommend some stuff I might like?"

Billy Dat
10-13-2015, 12:32 PM
CBS college hoops writer, Matt Norlander, has a newly launched music discussion podcast that you all should check out..it's called "Records and Riffs" and you can grab it on iTunes and elsewhere. he launched the first season Netflix-style by making 10+ episodes immediately available for download.

http://www.mattnorlander.com/norlanderblog/

burnspbesq
10-13-2015, 06:47 PM
OK, I'll bite.

"So What," Miles Davis
"A Love Supreme," John Coltrane
"Brandenburg Concerto No. 5," J.S. Bach (my preferred recording is the Munich Bach Orchestra, conducted by Karl Richter, from 1970, but the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, conducted by Sir Neville Mariner, also works for me)
"Take Me to the River," Talking Heads
"Elephant," Jason Isbell
"You're All I Need to Get By," Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
"See How We Are," X
"A Million Miles Away," The Plimsouls
"If I Needed Someone," The Beatles
"Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, 'From the New World,'" A. Dvorak (preferred recording is the Baltimore Symphony conducted by Marin Alsop)

burnspbesq
10-13-2015, 07:04 PM
And five more that it killed me to leave off the list of ten:

"Blue Moon with Heartache," Rosanne Cash
"From Ankara to Izmir," Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenberg, and Edgar Meyer
"Stolen Moments," Oliver Nelson
"Is This All There Is," Los Lobos
"Defying Gravity," Jesse Winchester

OldPhiKap
10-13-2015, 07:54 PM
OK, I'll bite.

"So What," Miles Davis
"A Love Supreme," John Coltrane
"Brandenburg Concerto No. 5," J.S. Bach (my preferred recording is the Munich Bach Orchestra, conducted by Karl Richter, from 1970, but the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, conducted by Sir Neville Mariner, also works for me)
"Take Me to the River," Talking Heads
"Elephant," Jason Isbell
"You're All I Need to Get By," Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
"See How We Are," X
"A Million Miles Away," The Plimsouls
"If I Needed Someone," The Beatles
"Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, 'From the New World,'" A. Dvorak (preferred recording is the Baltimore Symphony conducted by Marin Alsop)

And five more that it killed me to leave off the list of ten:

"Blue Moon with Heartache," Rosanne Cash
"From Ankara to Izmir," Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenberg, and Edgar Meyer
"Stolen Moments," Oliver Nelson
"Is This All There Is," Los Lobos
"Defying Gravity," Jesse Winchester

I want to party with you. Strong onions.

burnspbesq
10-13-2015, 08:50 PM
I want to party with you. Strong onions.

Check with me when the lax schedule comes out. Time and money permitting, I may come East for the Syracuse game.

Or send me a 4 terabyte hard drive, and I'll make you a copy of my iTunes library.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Check with me when the lax schedule comes out. Time and money permitting, I may come East for the Syracuse game.

Or send me a 4 terabyte hard drive, and I'll make you a copy of my iTunes library.

Nice, I have about 245 gigs last I checked. May follow up with you on that.

swood1000
10-15-2015, 08:21 AM
A moving target:

Sing, Sing, Sing — Benny Goodman Live at Carnegie Hall 1938
Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto — Isaac Stern/Ormandy
Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 — Van Cliburn
Mack The Knife — Bobby Darin
Crazy — Patsy Cline
Roll Over Beethoven — Beatles
Mellow Blues, Pt. 1 — Sonny Thompson/Eddie Chamblee
Rock, Rock, Rock — Amos Milburn
Dvorák Violin Concerto in A Minor — Perlman/Barenboim
Chopin Berceuse In D Flat, Op. 57 — Tamás Vásáry

gumbomoop
10-16-2015, 12:24 AM
What I find, and I am sure there are stats to back this up, is that the majority of people's "music education", for lack of a better term, ceases when they leave college or shortly after. During the years of their education, they are surrounded by young people and music is everywhere, playing at parties, etc. Music is a huge soundtrack for young people's lives. When work begins, unless someone keeps an active interest in exploring new music, that person's tastes "freeze".

A moving target.

Allow me to respond belatedly to Billy Dat's post by adapting swood's phrase to my own experience since university days.

My own tastes definitely did not freeze.

I rarely listen to classical music, and have for many years been out of touch with mainstream (?) pop artists. I've listened to and still enjoy major artists such as the Beatles and Stones, and think Bob Dylan an amazing lyricist and sneaky comic genius over his 55-year career.

But, as to tastes, it was only after Jerry Garcia's death that I became a big fan of the Grateful Dead. I now listen to a lot of Grateful Dead concerts from decades back. As swood says, my own target these days moves around a whole lot, though generally within the very broad, nearly undefinable category of "Americana/roots music." I could list Donna the Buffalo, Widespread Panic, Levon Helm/The Band, Cowboy Junkies, the Avett Brothers, Patsy Cline, The Honeycutters, Tedeschi-Trucks Band, Heartless Bastards, Hot Club of Cowtown, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Neko Case, Los Lobos, Iris DeMent, Jazz Is Dead, and hundreds -- multiple hundreds, a moving target -- of others. Not to mention Louis Armstrong, who's certainly "Americana." (I can listen to "West End Blues" over and over.)

My post here is a response to Billy Dat's response to my earlier post asking about people (like me/us) who listen to a lot of (any kind) of music versus people who seem to pay little attention at all to music. In some basic sense, it strikes me that folks for whom music is no part of their lives live in a fundamentally different world from my world. Their consciousness and mine seem somehow to inhabit different planes, spheres, whatever, something. And as one who is not musically literate -- I play no instrument, don't "understand" music -- I'm certain my passionate love of music is nevertheless limited.

But my basic question concerns neither tastes nor moving targets. The question that puzzles me to the point of obsession is: how can anyone not listen to some kind of music, and a lot?

Devilwin
07-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Hey Jude - Beatles
I Get Around - Beach Boys
Stop,Stop,Stop - Hollies
Just A Little - Beau Brummels
Candy Girl - Four Seasons
Lies - Knickerbockers
The Walls Came Down - The Call
And Your Bird Can Sing - Beatles
Turn, Turn, Turn - The Byrds
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World

toughbuff1
07-06-2016, 07:36 AM
I limited myself to one song per person (or band) because otherwise it would be dominated by Beatles songs. And also, this is a top 16, because I just couldn't cut it down to ten.

t15. "Long train Running" by The Doobie Brothers
t15. "Can't you See" by The Marshall Tucker Band
14. "One" by U2
13. "Overkill" by Colin Hay (acoustic)
12. "Please Do Not Go" by the Violent Femmes
11. "Superman" by R.E.M.
10. "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by the Temptations
9. "I Shall Be Released" by The Band
8. "Back To Black" by Amy Winehouse
7. "Georgia" by Ray Charles
6. "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry
4. "Every Breath You Take" by The Police
3. "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" by The Clash
2. "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin
1. "I Saw Her Standing There" by The Beatles

*If you had asked me in the early 90's, the list would have consisted entirely of songs from Ten and Nevemind