PDA

View Full Version : Five Banners T-Shirt - DON'T Get Yours Today!

DukeDevilDeb
04-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Always looking to support the Blue Devils, DBR, Blue Devil fans, etc.

So when I saw the ad for the Five Banners T-Shirts, I sent off for two of them right away. Let me recommend that you not do the same.

I received them just a few minutes ago. The one that I ordered for myself looks as though it will fit; not so sure about the extra large. But that isn't really the problem.

First, the shirts are NOT Duke Blue... not even CLOSE to Duke Blue. In fact, the two shirts are different shades of blue, especially when you put them side by side.

But ok, that happens... not Carolina Blue either (thank heavens).

And it does have 5 banners on it: 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2015

But NOWHERE does it say DUKE on it... not even a Duke D on it. Not a blue devil or any logo that might be associated with my favorite basketball team. And because the color is not even right, there is no way to know (especially if you are a casual observer) what those 5 banners are for!

If you are a Duke fan, you would recognize the dates. But, sadly to say, much of the world isn't.

This happened once before (not a DBR issue) when a 2001 national championship t-shirt was released with nothing more than 2001 National Champions on it... sort of "fill in your own university name" design.

Even thought maybe it would be on the back, turned it over, and was disappointed again.

These shirts are not inexpensive, even though they may appear that way if you feel the fabric. But to not have my team's name or mascot, a picture of Coach K or Brodhead, SOMETHING THAT SAYS DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

CameronBornAndBred
04-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Unless it is licensed by Duke, it CAN'T say Duke. Or use any other trademarked names associated with the school. I give DBR a pass since they follow those guidelines (which isn't always easy, but does spur creativity), but I have many issues with shirts that DO blatantly steal logos and/or names, such as several that are available on Facebook like the "Super Duke" shirts (which manage to steal from both Duke and DC Comics, that's impressive).

P.S..I'm assuming the funds from the sales go towards DBR, which you read, so not all is lost.

DukeDevilDeb
04-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Unless it is licensed by Duke, it CAN'T say Duke. Or use any other trademarked names associated with the school. I give DBR a pass since they follow those guidelines (which isn't always easy, but does spur creativity), but I have many issues with shirts that DO blatantly steal logos and/or names, such as several that are available on Facebook like the "Super Duke" shirts (which manage to steal from both Duke and DC Comics, that's impressive).

P.S..I'm assuming the funds from the sales go towards DBR, which you read, so not all is lost.

And if I got nothing more than to read DBR, that would be fine... Just expectations not met... Next time, I'll know!

hudlow
04-13-2015, 03:50 PM
And if I got nothing more than to read DBR, that would be fine... Just expectations not met... Next time, I'll know!

I got the same shirt today and pretty much have to agree with DukeDevilDeb's observations....

I hope DBR gets some support from advertising these shirts.

hud

Rich
04-13-2015, 04:29 PM
I hate to be all "Buyer Beware," but the website specifically says "This shirt is a BreakingT original, and is not official collegiate merchandise, nor is it endorsed by any team, school, or individual player. It's designed by fans, for fans." Also, the picture of the shirt does not show any Duke logos or other indicia. Why would you expect anything different?

As someone whose profession is in the area of licensed merchandise, IMO if you bought this shirt you should have known better. You should always look for officially licensed merchandise from the sports leagues or, in this case, the Collegiate Licensing Company. Generally, there is greater quality control when you do it that way and the merchandise wears better and lasts longer. Next time, send a check to DBR to support their cause and buy your T-shirt or cap elsewhere.

rifraf
04-13-2015, 06:03 PM
To post a dissenting opinion, we just got ours and another friend ordered them as soon as I showed them to her. They're very comfortable in that thin/distressed/old-worn-in-T-shirt kind of way that is very popular in shirts these days. I also love that they are very subtle in their celebration of Duke. There are 100s of National Championship shirts that scream Duke or have the logos on them (I ordered some of those as well) but there is something to be said about this understated style.

hudlow
04-13-2015, 06:50 PM
I hate to be all "Buyer Beware," but the website specifically says "This shirt is a BreakingT original, and is not official collegiate merchandise, nor is it endorsed by any team, school, or individual player. It's designed by fans, for fans." Also, the picture of the shirt does not show any Duke logos or other indicia. Why would you expect anything different?

As someone whose profession is in the area of licensed merchandise, IMO if you bought this shirt you should have known better. You should always look for officially licensed merchandise from the sports leagues or, in this case, the Collegiate Licensing Company. Generally, there is greater quality control when you do it that way and the merchandise wears better and lasts longer. Next time, send a check to DBR to support their cause and buy your T-shirt or cap elsewhere.

Good points Rich and from time to time I have to be reminded to read the fine print.

As long as it will provide a little angst to my Tar Heel acquaintances, it will have served its purpose and be worth the $$$.

I'll pick up something more "substantial" when the rush cools off.

DukeFanSince1990
04-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Good points Rich and from time to time I have to be reminded to read the fine print.

As long as it will provide a little angst to my Tar Heel acquaintances, it will have served its purpose and be worth the $$$.

Yep, a die hard Carolina fan will know exactly what they are looking at.

cspan37421
04-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Then surely there is no issue with another 5 banners shirt, perhaps shade it a bit off of sky blue, which might say "EZ-Bake Champs 1924", 1982, and "TBR" stamped through years 1993, 2005, and 2009.

TBR = "to be repealed".

Proceeds to DBR, of course.

arlight
04-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Are you talking about the "Banner Hunters" one?

BD80
04-13-2015, 10:57 PM

2015 gear should be greatly reduced when the 2015-6 Back-to-Back gear comes out

cspan37421
04-13-2015, 11:07 PM

I like the way you think!

A recent picture of Bobby Hurley on DBR showed his NCAA championship ring ... I could read the words "Back to Back" on it.

DukeDevilDeb
04-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Then surely there is no issue with another 5 banners shirt, perhaps shade it a bit off of sky blue, which might say "EZ-Bake Champs 1924", 1982, and "TBR" stamped through years 1993, 2005, and 2009.

TBR = "to be repealed".

Proceeds to DBR, of course.

Great idea!:D

Rich
04-14-2015, 02:14 PM

And garage sale/flea market giveaways when we get to Threepeat®! Of course, we'll have to pay Pat Riley licensing fees for the use of that phrase as he's the owner in connection with apparel, hats, etc.

El_Diablo
04-14-2015, 03:47 PM
Are you talking about the "Banner Hunters" one?

No, this one: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/4/11/8386811/championship-t-shirts-five-banners

NancyCarol
04-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Glad I didn't order it. I noticed it didn't say DUKE. So I ordered a couple of the official ones. Still waiting for them.

Duke4life92
04-14-2015, 07:19 PM

What i was thinking,i always look at a t-shirt before i buy.This one was just plain,nothing special.

DukeFanSince1990
04-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Update to this lukewarm topic.

Took my family to Morehead City today to see the Nina and Pinta replicas. More on that topic can be found here (http://www.thenina.com/).

Any way, got a lot of looks and one compliment on the shirt. And it is VERY comfortable too. Just my $.02.

p.s. Cant believe anyone crossed the ocean blue in those little boats.

CameronBornAndBred
04-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Update to this lukewarm topic.

Took my family to Morehead City today to see the Nina and Pinta replicas. More on that topic can be found here (http://www.thenina.com/).

Any way, got a lot of looks and one compliment on the shirt. And it is VERY comfortable too. Just my $.02.

p.s. Cant believe anyone crossed the ocean blue in those little boats.
I work in Morehead, and drove past the waterfront today to check them out. If I had known you were around, I would have kept an eye out for the shirt. ;)
MHC has good representation from Duke fans thanks in part to the marine lab in Beaufort.

DukeFanSince1990
04-17-2015, 09:59 PM
I work in Morehead, and drove past the waterfront today to check them out. If I had known you were around, I would have kept an eye out for the shirt. ;)
MHC has good representation from Duke fans thanks in part to the marine lab in Beaufort.

It was a good time, we hit the aquarium too.

Newton_14
04-17-2015, 11:56 PM
Ah, the Morehead/Atlantic Beach is our home away from home and by far my favorite vacation spot. We go down at least once every year and try to make a weekend trip sometimes when we can. I see the Marine Lab every year as we always head down to Beaufort on the Friday or Saturday Night. Love that place too. Awesome atmosphere and we love walking the board walk and checking out the yachts. I think it is the one place I would live besides where I live now. If I ever win the lottery CB&B you are going to have to put up with me early an often!

It was a good time, we hit the aquarium too.
If you are still there, be sure to go check out Fort Macon. It is well worth it!