PDA

View Full Version : College or NFL?

Bluedawg
09-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Interesting artilce in today's Dallas Morning News College or NFL? See you Saturday (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/tcowlishaw/stories/092107dnspocowlishaw.296179b.html)

he said he prefers colelge over NFL because:

It has at least something to do with the downside of fantasy football.

Also, there are no true upsets in the NFL. The first week of the season there wasn't even a 7-point favorite. Something magical happens somewhere in the college game each week.

dukeENG2003
09-22-2007, 12:56 PM
I agree with his sentiment that there aren't any huge upsets in the NFL, but that, to me, is why the NFL is superior. Every game is competitive. I would always rather watch a close game between more evenly matched teams.

Sure, huge upsets are great, but blowouts (which is what happens most of the time when there is a big underdog) are boring. In addition, the bowl system is a joke. that alone makes the NFL FAR superior IMHO.

Factor in the superior athleticism of the NFL, and its really no contest.

Fantasy football has nothing to do with the games. Its big in the NFL, b/c it actually makes sense. In college, fantasy football (if it was played) would be far more about who the player is playing, rather than that players individual talent and thus would be far less interesting. NFL players have been asked on multiple occasions whether fantasy considerations figure into how they play, and the answer is overwhelmingly, no. Marc Bulger (my fantasy QB) has said on many occasions he could care less that he puts up good fantasy numbers, b/c they continue to lose games.

DukeUsul
09-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Grew up in suburban Philly..... What's more interesting, a Villanova or Temple game or the Eagles and Cowgirls/Skins/Giants? I didn't know anything about college football until I went to Duke. I've gotten more into college ball since then (season ticket holder since graduation) but it's been hard to really get invested in the college game.

captmojo
09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
College game. The rules are better.

DukeUsul
09-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey Capt, which rules do you like better? A life-long NFL watcher, I still get confused when a guy makes a reception with one foot in and it counts. I've never liked that one.

captmojo
09-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey Capt, which rules do you like better? A life-long NFL watcher, I still get confused when a guy makes a reception with one foot in and it counts. I've never liked that one.

I think when a guy is down, he's down. There's no need to pile on, it's only risking injury.

More importantly, I think the clock in the NFL should stop to move chains in case of a first down. I don't believe in penalizing players on the field, with a sense of urgency, with time lost because the stick men will never be able to move fast enough to please. This, I feel, is only a fairness issue.

Also, not important, but that two minute warning is just for the benefit of TV anyway. Not important because the strategy works around the extra time out.

Would you not see a lot more pass completions if the receiver only had to be "in-bounds" as opposed to "really in-bounds"?

DukeUsul
09-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Would you not see a lot more pass completions if the receiver only had to be "in-bounds" as opposed to "really in-bounds"?

Yeah you would, but I'm not sure more pass completions is necessarily a good thing (this coming from a guy who grew up watching good 'ol NFC East 10-7 brawls). But I always thought of the one-foot in rule like calling a timeout while falling out of bounds in basketball. You can't run up the sideline with one foot in and one foot out, so it never made sense to me why coming down like that should count.

Bluedawg
09-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I agree with his sentiment that there aren't any huge upsets in the NFL, but that, to me, is why the NFL is superior. Every game is competitive.

Actually it is jsut the opposite. If the favored team wins then it is not competative...the stong teams win and no one else need to show up.

Bluedawg
09-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Grew up in suburban Philly..... What's more interesting, a Villanova or Temple game or the Eagles and Cowgirls/Skins/Giants? I didn't know anything about college football until I went to Duke. I've gotten more into college ball since then (season ticket holder since graduation) but it's been hard to really get invested in the college game.

I grew up in the SEC...college football trumps all!

dukeENG2003
09-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Actually it is jsut the opposite. If the favored team wins then it is not competative...the stong teams win and no one else need to show up.

right, and in college, the favored team wins more than in the NFL, given the larger spreads and the larger spread in talent between teams. Sure, in the NFL, they aren't BIG upsets, but there are more upsets, as there are more competitive games between more evenly matched teams.

As far as rules go, +1 on the 1 foot in bounds rule being ridiculous, and I also prefer the replay rules in the NFL. Make a coach decide when to make the challenge, rather than reviewing every freaking play. I will agree with the stopping the clock on the 1st down rule, I kinda like that about college, but other than that, the rules are similar enough, that I base my preference on the better competition and superior atheletes.

Lavabe
09-22-2007, 08:29 PM
How about choice c?

NEITHER! :mad:

Remember, I live in Atlanta, home of the hapless Falcons. :o No thank you, I cannot pull the lever for college or NFL.

But I will always pull for Duke! :D
Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. I believe I hit my monthly quota for emoticons in just this one message. HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMOTICONS!

Uncle Drew
09-22-2007, 08:34 PM
I want to know why when the ball crosses the line of the end zone that is considered a touchdown. But when a guy is going for a first down and the ball breaks the line of scrimmage the refs put the ball where the players knee hit.

I like college overtime better than the pros, so much is contingent on the luck of a coin toss. But I still enjoy watching pro football MUCH more, and no it's not just because I'm a Duke fan.

captmojo
09-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Another rule (although it's not really a rule) I'd like to see modern technology put into the game. Put an electronic chip in the ball to be a definite indicator of the ball crossing the plane of the goal line. Take the guesswork of flaking bodies off the pile and then deciding whether the ball broke the plane. This can be done.

Lavabe
09-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Another rule (although it's not really a rule) I'd like to see modern technology put into the game. Put an electronic chip in the ball to be a definite indicator of the ball crossing the plane of the goal line. Take the guesswork of flaking bodies off the pile and then deciding whether the ball broke the plane. This can be done.

While they're at it, they could make it so the chip in the football would leave on the TV screen a red trail behind the football everytime it was thrown. It would be cool to see that! And they could add sound effects too!

WHOOPS ... Fox tried that in the NHL a few years ago!

NAH ... just leave the ball the way it is.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Bluedawg
09-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I want to know why when the ball crosses the line of the end zone that is considered a touchdown. But when a guy is going for a first down and the ball breaks the line of scrimmage the refs put the ball where the players knee hit.

I like college overtime better than the pros, so much is contingent on the luck of a coin toss. But I still enjoy watching pro football MUCH more, and no it's not just because I'm a Duke fan.

I've almost gotten to look at the NFL the same was as the NBA. i can't watch NBA play bcasue its just so dull, and the NFL is gettign there. No one could have watched the GA/Bama game tonight and said the NFL was better.

If NASCAR is on at the same time as the NFL I'll watch NASCAR.

feldspar
09-23-2007, 12:08 AM
College football...meh.

Give me the NFL, where every team actually has a shot at a title when the season begins.

Contrast that with college football, where the money-hungry conferences rule all while successful "lower-tier" teams like Boise State, Utah, Tulsa, etc. have to settle for a meaningless "bowl" win after an undefeated system. Feh. It amazes me how gullible college fans still are, falling for the whole "bowl" and "BCS" systems.

crote
09-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Far and away college.

College offenses are vastly more varied and interesting. The spread option stuff that Florida, WVU, and Oregon run is tons of fun to watch, but you'd never see it consistently in the NFL because of the risk to the QB. Even the gimmicky stuff like what Texas Tech, Hawaii, and Navy run is usually a lot more fun to watch the same boring pro set stuff the NFL does all the time.

Also:

Fight songs.

The Iron Bowl, the Egg Bowl, Commander in Chief's Trophy, The Game, the Big Game, the Red River Shootout, the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, the Battle for the Boot, Bedlam, Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate, Floyd of Rosedale, etc.

Cheerleaders who don't look like they charge by the half hour.

Live animal mascots.

Stadiums that get ungodly loud.

Crowd shots of coeds.

EDSBS.com.

The dulcet tones of Mr. Keith Jackson.

The fact that in many places the mental well being of entire states hinges upon on the field success.

Steve Spurrier.

Top 25 Polls.

Rolling Toomer's Corner, touching Howard's Rock, the Rambling Wreck, "Play Like a Champion Today," the Vol Navy, etc.

Marching bands.

"Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer," "Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty," "Woooooooooooo Pig Sooie," "Go to Hell Carolina," the Seminole War Chant, etc.

Tearing down goal posts.

feldspar
09-23-2007, 12:18 AM
The Iron Bowl, the Egg Bowl, Commander in Chief's Trophy, The Game, the Big Game, the Red River Shootout, the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, the Battle for the Boot, Bedlam, Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate, Floyd of Rosedale, etc.

See, this is what I'm talking about. These are all just designed to keep you, the college fan, distracted from the fact that, depending on the year or the school you root for, your favorite team probably has absolutely ZERO chance of winning the National Championship this year.

So instead, they have meaningless (but cleverly named and marketed) "special" games called "Bowl Games" and "Rivalry Games" with cute trophies and clever nicknames and dueling mascots and bells and axes and all sorts of meaningless props...all designed to distract you from the fact that YOUR TEAM HAS NO CHANCE OF SUCCESS.

Golly, how exciting is that??

Kind of reminds me of youth sports these days where every team, no matter of how good or crappy they did that year, gets the same meaningless trophy.

"Bowl Season" is a joke.

Nah. Give me the NFL, complete with the biggest sporting even of the year, the SUPER Bowl, where a real champion is crowned.

Bluedawg
09-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Far and away college.

College offenses are vastly more varied and interesting. The spread option stuff that Florida, WVU, and Oregon run is tons of fun to watch, but you'd never see it consistently in the NFL because of the risk to the QB. Even the gimmicky stuff like what Texas Tech, Hawaii, and Navy run is usually a lot more fun to watch the same boring pro set stuff the NFL does all the time.

Also:

Fight songs.

Live animal mascots.

Crowd shots of coeds.

EDSBS.com.

The fact that in many places the mental well being of entire states hinges upon on the field success.

Steve Spurrier.

Top 25 Polls.

Rolling Toomer's Corner, touching Howard's Rock, the Rambling Wreck, "Play Like a Champion Today," the Vol Navy, etc.

Marching bands.

"Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer," "Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty," "Woooooooooooo Pig Sooie," "Go to Hell Carolina," the Seminole War Chant, etc.

Tearing down goal posts.

Like i said...the NFL is dull!

crote
09-23-2007, 01:09 AM
See, this is what I'm talking about. These are all just designed to keep you, the college fan, distracted from the fact that, depending on the year or the school you root for, your favorite team probably has absolutely ZERO chance of winning the National Championship this year.

So instead, they have meaningless (but cleverly named and marketed) "special" games called "Bowl Games" and "Rivalry Games" with cute trophies and clever nicknames and dueling mascots and bells and axes and all sorts of meaningless props...all designed to distract you from the fact that YOUR TEAM HAS NO CHANCE OF SUCCESS.

Golly, how exciting is that??

Kind of reminds me of youth sports these days where every team, no matter of how good or crappy they did that year, gets the same meaningless trophy.

"Bowl Season" is a joke.

Nah. Give me the NFL, complete with the biggest sporting even of the year, the SUPER Bowl, where a real champion is crowned.

What? Are you serious? How can a Duke fan not understand the unbridled greatness of college rivalries?

Anyway, by your logic sports are only worthwhile or entertaining if your team wins a title. If that's really how you feel, God save you.

feldspar
09-23-2007, 01:17 AM
What? Are you serious? How can a Duke fan not understand the unbridled greatness of college rivalries?

Anyway, by your logic sports are only worthwhile or entertaining if your team wins a title. If that's really how you feel, God save you.

You didn't read carefully enough.

My logic is that sports are worthwhile and entertaining when each team has (in theory) the same shot at winning it all, being the champion, rising to the top, getting the glory, wearing the slipper, you name it.

College football is the ONLY major sport I can think of where a team goes into a season knowing it legitimately does not have a chance in Hades of vying for the national championship. I wonder when all of you who bow at the altar of college football are going to wake up and realize that fact. The MONEY has ruined the game, the competitiveness, and made college football a club of elitist, greedy, selfish, prideful conferences. It's sad and pathetic.

In college basketball, having a shot at the championship is a reality. Everyone, whether it be Duke or George Mason, UNC or Chaminade, has a shot of making it to the tourney and being only 6 wins away from the championship. Which is why I love college basketball. Cinderella stories abound. As do the rivalries. They're actually BETTER in basketball, because....wait for it...the games actually MEAN something.

In college football? Too bad, Boise State. You're not a BCS school, so all you have to show for last year is a meaningless "Bowl" win. Thanks for trying. Go back to your piddly conference now.

Naw, give me the NFL, where at least they're willing to admit that it's all about the money, as opposed to college where the "BCS" and the Bowl system are trumped up to be some awe-inspiring traditions as opposed to the money-sucking hypocritical system that it really is.

Give me college basketball, where the George Masons of the world get to live a dream that the BSUs and Utahs of the world NEVER will.

crote
09-23-2007, 02:02 AM
I still don't buy that logic.

You can't tell me there's no intrinsic value to beating a rival completely independent of any championship implications. By the time of the Capel shot game in '95 we had no championship aspirations. Wasn't going to happen. Are you saying that winning that game would have been meaningless?

As for the bowl system, it is doubtlessly flawed but still fun as all get out. Should Boise State have had a shot at the national title last year? Yeah. Does the fact that they didn'make their victory over OU pointless and the game itself a boring, forced affair? Hardly.

Bob Green
09-23-2007, 06:13 AM

You opened the door very wide for smart aleck remarks. But as a Moderator, I don't want to get moderated.

Bluedawg
09-23-2007, 10:05 AM
College football...meh.

Give me the NFL, where every team actually has a shot at a title when the season begins.

Contrast that with college football, where the money-hungry conferences rule all while successful "lower-tier" teams like Boise State, Utah, Tulsa, etc. have to settle for a meaningless "bowl" win after an undefeated system. Feh. It amazes me how gullible college fans still are, falling for the whole "bowl" and "BCS" systems.

You are speaking about a select few who actually have a realistic chance to make it to a "play-off" system. The "money-hungry" actually shows itself in the opportunity teams have to be seen.

On College Football Saturday I there were 19 games available to be watched, 38 teams who will get getting exposure and with exposure comes better recruiting. However today on NFL Sunday there are 4 games available. The only way to see more NFL games is by buying a special package to allow me to see what college football offers me for free. Then on top of that, if the Panthers do not play at 1:00 either because they have an off day or they are playing the late game my Fox affiliate will not show any football. I watch the Panthers of I watch no one. Who is truly “money-hungry”?

Indoor66
09-23-2007, 10:19 AM
You are speaking about a select few who actually have a realistic chance to make it to a "play-off" system. The "money-hungry" actually shows itself in the opportunity teams have to be seen.

On College Football Saturday I there were 19 games available to be watched, 38 teams who will get getting exposure and with exposure comes better recruiting. However today on NFL Sunday there are 4 games available. The only way to see more NFL games is by buying a special package to allow me to see what college football offers me for free. Then on top of that, if the Panthers do not play at 1:00 either because they have an off day or they are playing the late game my Fox affiliate will not show any football. I watch the Panthers of I watch no one. Who is truly “money-hungry”?

I have personally solved that problem. I watch no football.

Troublemaker
09-23-2007, 10:19 AM
crote is on the mark regarding the varied styles of play in college making it the better product. It's just very interesting to see Michigan pound a conventional team like PSU but not be able to keep up with the spread offenses of App St and Oregon. Also, the passion, the rooting for your alma mater (Dukies have it bad here, but I'm talking in general), the college rivalries, the Saturday cookouts and tailgates. It's just better.

dukeENG2003
09-23-2007, 10:44 AM
On College Football Saturday I there were 19 games available to be watched, 38 teams who will get getting exposure and with exposure comes better recruiting. However today on NFL Sunday there are 4 games available. The only way to see more NFL games is by buying a special package to allow me to see what college football offers me for free.

Frankly, I don't care which system is more "about the money". Its really no surprise the NFL package is more expensive, they are superior atheletes, who are no longer being exploited by the NCAA while others make tons of money off of them (yeah, I poked that hornets nest).

Sit and watch a day of NFL sunday ticket sometime, 8 thrilling games going on at once, and being able to see every touchdown, every game winning field goal, every big hit.

Honestly, theres just too many teams in college football for me to be interested in it. Its all the fluff games that make the rivalry games that much more tantalizing, as opposed to the NFL, where its a big game every week. We're clearly never gonna agree on this one though. I still watch college football, don't get me wrong, but its just not as interesting to me, except for those big rivalry games. I really can't understand how anyone would defend the bowl system though, its a joke.

mapei
09-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I much prefer the NFL to college football, and I much prefer college basketball to the NBA. I think it has a lot to do with the culture you live in. The DC area has almost no meaningful college football culture, but a long and very rich pro football culture. The reverse is true for basketball, and I also have the benefit of having grown up in NC, where basketball was more important than football even at my high school, and where the college basketball tradition is maybe the richest in the country.

I can take or leave college football. Even when I take it, it's usually not for long; I end up turning the game off after a bit. Yesterday I flipped around from one college game to another and my most lasting impression was what jackasses most of the coaches seemed to be.

And, it least in my case, it has nothing whatever to do with the national championship.

What football to I like better than either college or pro? High school. There are three high schools within walking distance of my house, all with low-key programs that proivide a delightful afternoon's entertainment. You get ridiculously close to the sidelines and it's great fun, better than anything the TV can provide.

Bluedawg
09-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Frankly, I don't care which system is more "about the money". Its really no surprise the NFL package is more expensive, they are superior atheletes, who are no longer being exploited by the NCAA while others make tons of money off of them (yeah, I poked that hornets nest).

"superior athletes" They are the same athletes just older and more experienced. You do realize the pro athletes used to be college athletes?

Sit and watch a day of NFL sunday ticket sometime, 8 thrilling games going on at once, and being able to see every touchdown, every game winning field goal, every big hit.

Sit and watch a day of 19 college game, for free. i didn't watch all 19 but of the ones i saw there was not a bad one in sight.

Honestly, theres just too many teams in college football for me to be interested in it. Its all the fluff games that make the rivalry games that much more tantalizing, as opposed to the NFL, where its a big game every week. We're clearly never gonna agree on this one though. I still watch college football, don't get me wrong, but its just not as interesting to me, except for those big rivalry games.

the NFL is 4 hand picked games, unless you want to pay $30.00 a month then instead of 4 games you get 8. $30.00 for 8 games or 19 games for free. Oh yes you made a great deal.

I really can't understand how anyone would defend the bowl system though, its a joke.

So far no body has. the point in the article I linked to, and one i agree with, is that college football is more exciting.

Bluedawg
09-24-2007, 12:03 AM
I much prefer the NFL to college football, and I much prefer college basketball to the NBA. I think it has a lot to do with the culture you live in. The DC area has almost no meaningful college football culture, but a long and very rich pro football culture. The reverse is true for basketball, and I also have the benefit of having grown up in NC, where basketball was more important than football even at my high school, and where the college basketball tradition is maybe the richest in the country.

I grew up in south Georgia, the heart of the SEC, the king of college football. The only close to college football was high school football. People sold out high school games. people whose kids were long gone still went and supported the school. Every other sport was there just to give you something to occupy your time until college football returned.

During the off season the main topic of conversation was...you guessed it CF!

throatybeard
09-24-2007, 01:55 AM

They predated all that.

Anyway, to answer the Q, I respect the NFL but I love College FB. I'll take either of them over any form of basketball anyday.

throatybeard
09-24-2007, 01:58 AM
I grew up in south Georgia, the heart of the SEC, the king of college football. The only close to college football was high school football. People sold out high school games. people whose kids were long gone still went and supported the school. Every other sport was there just to give you something to occupy your time until college football returned.

During the off season the main topic of conversation was...you guessed it CF!

Dude, you should get a Sunday AJC. The sports section had a big story about the gradual hemorrhage of power from South GA HS FB to the metro area. This has happened as the abomination that is suburban/exurban ATL has gained population. Sad.

bdh21
09-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Tell FIU that its all meaningless fluff when they play Miami. They may not have had a shot to win the game, but that didnt stop the kid from swinging his crutches like a maniac.

The NFL is an experiment in parity gone horribly dull...

dukeENG2003
09-24-2007, 09:06 AM
"superior athletes" They are the same athletes just older and more experienced. You do realize the pro athletes used to be college athletes?

? Are you contending that ANY college team would stand a chance against an NFL team? I certainly hope not.

NFL players are bigger, faster, and stronger than college football players. Of course I'm aware of where they came from, but age and experience, not to mention weeding out of those who don't have the talent to make it, leads to more talented teams, top to bottom. I'll take the [insert name of whatever team you think is the worst in the NFL] over USC or LSU any day.

As far as the $ factor, I don't think the debate was which is a better value, but which is better football. Actually, I guess it was which you prefer, and despite the extra cost, I much prefer to watch better players in more evenly matched games.

I think the environment you grow up in DEFINITELY determines which you prefer. I was raised a Duke fan, and although I've been in the stands as much as I can for Duke, its hard to get too excited about ACC football in general (I think you'll agree that the ACC is a pretty weak football conference), especially combined with the very limited success my primary rooting interest has had. We all like to see games decided by great plays, not by mistakes.

I'm starting to watch more SEC football now since my wife is a Vol through and through, and I certainly think there are some entertaining games, but when you take rooting interests out of the equation (I know, difficult for you to do, but easy for me, again going back to environment), I don't think anyone can debate that the NFL has the best players in the world, which is what decides it for me.

feldspar
09-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Sit and watch a day of 19 college game, for free.

Really? 19 games on network TV? What area do you live in? Where I live, you have to pay your cable and/or Dish company money in order to get this many games in one day.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Your beloved college game is not nearly as pure as you would make it out to be.

dukeENG2003
09-24-2007, 10:22 AM
hehe, I think he was just trying to compare it to NFL sunday ticket, which is an extra $200ish on TOP of normal satellite service. It IS quite expensive, I can't argue that, but I find that the features included, along with the quality of athletes makes it worth it.

Another reason I don't mind paying the extra $ for directv's sunday ticket:

I don't watch a single commercial on sundays, as soon as one game goes to commercial, I change to a different game, or, if I'm lazy, I use the red zone channel, which does it for me :D I suppose if you juggled things properly, you could do something similar with college ball, but it'd be a heck of a lot harder not having all the channels lined up next to each other.

Chard
09-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Far and away college.

Also:

Fight songs.

Live animal mascots.

Crowd shots of coeds.

EDSBS.com.

Steve Spurrier.

Top 25 Polls.

Marching bands.

Tearing down goal posts.

College by far and for basically the same reasons as above but I'll add one more: App State vs. Michigan. I've never felt that way after a Denver Broncos win, even their Superbowl wins. The two championships felt better than any Broncos win as well. To give you a little perspective on my opinion I was born in Denver and graduated from ASU.

I like the NFL but sometimes I end up sleeping the game away. I'm not a huge Panthers fan so I don't like being forced to watch them when there are more interesting games on. However, my first year of fantasy football and my acquisition of Steve Smith have made this season so much more interesting.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the current system to determine a FBS champion is acceptable. It is not. The proper way to do that is with a playoff system such as the FCS. Don't get me started.

If you don't watch football, we don't want to hear from you anyways.

Ditto on Throaty's sentiments. I'd watch a college football game before a college basketball game. I love both dearly but have my priorities.

mapei
09-24-2007, 01:05 PM
What I find interesting is that, even on a board of self-selected college sports fans, the NFL is winning the poll.

elvis14
09-24-2007, 03:04 PM
I voted NFL. I do like both. Here are a few random thoughts:

- I love watching NFL football on TV. It's a great game, the league is run fairly well, and most of the rules I'm OK with (sure there are exceptions but that's OK).

- I like watching College football on TV if it's a team that I care about or a big game that's evenly matched. That's not often the case.

- If I'm going to see a game in person, I would much rather go to a college game. I'm a Clemson grad and a Redskins fan. Been to see games at both venues (and others) and the college game is just much more fun to attend...not because of the game itself but the atmosphere created by the fans. I tend to find myself at a few NCSU football games with friends each year....good times good times :-)

- Calling the NFL game dull and comparing it to the NBA...well lets just say that I disagree.

- I'm one of those people that thinks Division 1 college football really needs a playoff system (like the other Divisions have).

- I do prefer the way the college game does overtime (minor point, however).

throatybeard
09-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Two points:

1) The lack of a playoff system, while annoying, is extrinsic to the game itself. Golf isn't suddenly a completely different sport simply because the PGA cooked up a lame "playoff" modeled on NASCAR's lame attempt to make a playoff at the end of the year.

Football is a sport. I-A is a league. Hockey is a sport that has neither more nor less value than it did in 2002. The NHL is a league with a death wish.

2) The professional version of a game should be better on the field/ice/court. If there's even an argument, (exhibit A, the NBA), that means the pros are failing to be sufficiently compelling.

Clipsfan
09-24-2007, 04:04 PM

They shouldn't put the ball where his knee hit, but rather where the ball was when his knee hit.

Clipsfan
09-24-2007, 04:15 PM
What I find interesting is that, even on a board of self-selected college sports fans, the NFL is winning the poll.

True, we are self-selected college sports fans, but we also tend to root for a team that has been awful for quite a while. As a result, many of us are much lesser college football fans than college basketball, for example, and apparently pro football. If Duke had been much better at football I bet the results of the contest would be quite different.

mapei
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Excellent point.

SilkyJ
09-25-2007, 02:40 PM

They don't do that, at least not intentionally. The rules is that the "spot" should always be where the ball is when the knee (or elbow or whatever) touches the ground.

Thats what she said.

Bluedawg
09-25-2007, 11:38 PM

Look again:

Prefer the College game 23 50.00%
Prefer the NFL Game 23 50.00%

Bluedawg
09-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Dude, you should get a Sunday AJC. The sports section had a big story about the gradual hemorrhage of power from South GA HS FB to the metro area. This has happened as the abomination that is suburban/exurban ATL has gained population. Sad.

First Atlanta is not South GA, Second, i was just there, trust me...HS/CF football rules.

throatybeard
09-25-2007, 11:52 PM
First Atlanta is not South GA

No one said it was.