PDA

View Full Version : ACC 2015-16 guesses

gofurman
04-11-2015, 03:36 PM
How do you think the ACC finishes in 2015-16?

My way too early guess is (by tier and in order 1 - 15)
Tier 1

UNC (no losses except Tokoto)
UVA
Duke
State (a lot returning)
Miami

-----
Tier 2
Notre Dame
Syracuse
Louisville
Pitt
FSU

Tier 3
-------
Clemson
Wake
VTech
BC
GTech

Too early for all information I know. BUT, * agree? Disagree? Where and why??? I would be interested to hear your thoughts. I hate to say it but unless we keep or get someone I don't see... I think we fall below UNC and UVA. We would HAVE to have Tyus back for a shot at ACC title. Need a wing unless I am forgetting someone. PLEASE STAY Tyus and Justise. Justise is a M A N

Newton_14
04-11-2015, 04:11 PM
We have no idea where to put Duke yet. They could end up in Tier 1 or Tier 2 at this point depending on the roster. We really need Brandon Ingram to commit to Duke. I love that kids game. I would also like to have the Ennis kid from Nova as well, but we need guards, wings, and maybe one more big, though the latter is not likely.

Ingram is a huge recruit for Duke after losing Winslow to the draft. There is no way Tyus is staying either so we need guards. Adding just Ingram and Ennis would be a huge boost for next year.

Henderson
04-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Not only are there recruiting and departure variables still unresolved, but there is the new schedule that has to be considered. ACC play is always tough, but some teams have it tougher.

Like the crazy "too early" polls and predictions on the national level, way too early here too. We don't even know what the weather will be like next month.

Olympic Fan
04-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Agree that it's way too early, especially for Duke (heck, we don't even know officially that Tyus and Justise are going!)

But you wanted a general take. Here are a few of my opinions:

-- Virginia, not North Carolina, is the clearcut No. 1 going into next season -- unless Justin Anderson turns pro. The Cavs were significantly better than the Tar Heels last season (the NCAA stumble not withstanding) and both have suffered similar losses so far (Darius Atkins and JP Tokoto ... although I admit that Adkins was better). The final standing might depend on the schedule, but I think it's likely Virginia is significantly better again.

-- I think NC State is a solid 3. They lose only Ralston Turner and have West Virginia transfer Terry Henderson ready to take his place. Barber and Lacey are a dynamite backcourt and Gott's young big men will only get better. My only concern is how badly State handled the high preseason expectations in 2013 after a Sweet 16 run in 2012. They were preseason ACC favorite and top 10 and barely snuck into the NCAA Tournament.

-- I'd replace Miami with FSU at the bottom of tier one. Dwayne Bacon is going to make a huge difference at FSU -- another scorer to go along with Rathan-Mayes. And they have better balanced talent, including 3 7-footers (Turpin is gone, but they add a 7-4 guy), Miami still lacks size to balance their plethora of guards, I'd keep Miami near the top of the second echelon.

--Of the lower echelon teams, the one with the best chance to reach the middle echelon is Virginia Tech. There were a lot of good freshmen in Blacksburg (did you see Jalen Hudson in the ACC Tournament!), plus they add ACC veteran Seth Allen and a couple of big guys, which they need. I see BC still at the very bottom ... they lose more senior talent than anybody. If Hanlon goes pro, they're in the dumper.

-- Right now, Duke and Louisville are the two most volatile teams out there. Both lose a ton but both are premier programs with the ability to reload quickly. They'll have to. I think Duke is in a little bit better shape -- a better core and a chance at better additions.

gofurman
04-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Agree that it's way too early, especially for Duke (heck, we don't even know officially that Tyus and Justise are going!)

-- Virginia, not North Carolina, is the clearcut No. 1 going into next season -- unless Justin Anderson turns pro. The Cavs were significantly better than the Tar Heels last season (the NCAA stumble not withstanding) and both have suffered similar losses so far (Darius Atkins and JP Tokoto ... although I admit that Adkins was better). The final standing might depend on the schedule, but I think it's likely Virginia is significantly better again.

-- I think NC State is a solid 3. They lose only Ralston Turner and have West Virginia transfer Terry Henderson ready to take his place. Barber and Lacey are a dynamite backcourt and Gott's young big men will only get better. My only concern is how badly State handled the high preseason expectations in 2013 after a Sweet 16 run in 2012. They were preseason ACC favorite and top 10 and barely snuck into the NCAA Tournament.

-- I'd replace Miami with FSU at the bottom of tier one. Dwayne Bacon is going to make a huge difference at FSU -- another scorer to go along with Rathan-Mayes. And they have better balanced talent, including 3 7-footers (Turpin is gone, but they add a 7-4 guy), Miami still lacks size to balance their plethora of guards, I'd keep Miami near the top of the second echelon.

--Of the lower echelon teams, the one with the best chance to reach the middle echelon is Virginia Tech. There were a lot of good freshmen in Blacksburg (did you see Jalen Hudson in the ACC Tournament!), plus they add ACC veteran Seth Allen and a couple of big guys, which they need. I see BC still at the very bottom ... they lose more senior talent than anybody. If Hanlon goes pro, they're in the dumper.

-- Right now, Duke and Louisville are the two most volatile teams out there. Both lose a ton but both are premier programs with the ability to reload quickly. They'll have to. I think Duke is in a little bit better shape -- a better core and a chance at better additions.

Miami has jekiri for size. Right?

Saratoga2
04-11-2015, 08:17 PM

We don't have long to wait to confirm our loss of players to the NBA draft. Okafor is gone already and the others will likely announce shortly. I do hope we get a couple of additional recruits to bolster what we currently have. In my view, we should also expect some of our players to improve going into next season. My hope in this regard is:
1. Matt works on his shooting form to become more consistent. He is already a premier defender and he is unlikely to improve his slashing and finishing due to his average athleticism so improving his shooting is key for him.
2. Grayson can improve his defense by learning to be slightly less aggressive. We will need him on the floor next year so he needs to avoid picking up cheap fouls.
3. Amile may finally feature some offense. More confidence with him than ability. I expect him to be a captain next year and we will need his offense.
4. Sean is a total unknown at this time so it wiill be a wait and see with him.
5. Marshall will probably not develop much. His size and energy will be needed but I expect the same player back.

What little I have seen of Luke and Chase has left me with the belief that Luke will contribute right away but I see Chase as having to make a transition into the physical nature of college ball. Justin is a wild card.

Anyone picking UNC should consider the liklihood of sanctions coming down on them and the impact that may have on their team and their outlook next year. The ACC will continue to be tough and I think ND should be considered to be a threat as well as Virginia.

gofurman
04-11-2015, 11:58 PM
We don't have long to wait to confirm our loss of players to the NBA draft. Okafor is gone already and the others will likely announce shortly. I do hope we get a couple of additional recruits to bolster what we currently have. In my view, we should also expect some of our players to improve going into next season. My hope in this regard is:
1. Matt works on his shooting form to become more consistent. He is already a premier defender and he is unlikely to improve his slashing and finishing due to his average athleticism so improving his shooting is key for him.
2. Grayson can improve his defense by learning to be slightly less aggressive. We will need him on the floor next year so he needs to avoid picking up cheap fouls.
3. Amile may finally feature some offense. More confidence with him than ability. I expect him to be a captain next year and we will need his offense.
4. Sean is a total unknown at this time so it wiill be a wait and see with him.
5. Marshall will probably not develop much. His size and energy will be needed but I expect the same player back.

What little I have seen of Luke and Chase has left me with the belief that Luke will contribute right away but I see Chase as having to make a transition into the physical nature of college ball. Justin is a wild card.

Anyone picking UNC should consider the liklihood of sanctions coming down on them and the impact that may have on their team and their outlook next year. The ACC will continue to be tough and I think ND should be considered to be a threat as well as Virginia.
Dumb question. Who is justin? Do you mean Justise?

hurleyfor3
04-12-2015, 12:03 AM
Every year there's one or two surprise teams. As in I don't remember them being in the ACC before. I predict next year it'll be Cincinnati and maybe Ohio State.

brevity
04-12-2015, 12:44 AM
Dumb question. Who is justin? Do you mean Justise?

He means Justin, as in Justin Robinson. Previous thread here (forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34767).

Every year there's one or two surprise teams. As in I don't remember them being in the ACC before. I predict next year it'll be Cincinnati and maybe Ohio State.

Cincinnati in the ACC? Well, as long as it ticks off Connecticut.