PDA

View Full Version : PG Dylan Ennis (Tyler's bro) leaving Villanova

langdonfan
04-10-2015, 10:12 AM
He'd be eligible right away. Can't help but wonder if Duke would be interested. If Tyus leaves and we miss on Thornton, it could be a good move.

TKG
04-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Even things out for Nova stealing Taylor King? :cool:

NYBri
04-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Not familiar with him. Does he have game?

FerryFor50
04-10-2015, 10:43 AM
He'd be eligible right away. Can't help but wonder if Duke would be interested. If Tyus leaves and we miss on Thornton, it could be a good move.

Interesting... 2nd guard to leave Nova.

Wonder what the deal is?

Billy Dat
04-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Interesting... 2nd guard to leave Nova.

Wonder what the deal is?

He wants to play PG to try and showcase his skills for potential pro employers...he's blocked right now at Nova by Ryan Arcidiacano.

Rent-a-player!

pamtar
04-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Not familiar with him. Does he have game?

He averaged 10pts, 4 rebounds, and 3.5 steals this year. Depending on his character, he'd definitely be worth pursuing if Stones leaves IMO.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/playerstats?playerId=56265

FerryFor50
04-10-2015, 10:47 AM
He averaged 10pts, 4 rebounds, and 3.5 steals this year. Depending on his character, he'd definitely be worth pursuing if Stones leaves IMO.

Considering he's the brother of Tyler Ennis, I would have to assume he's got good character. I mean, it's possible that he's way different than Tyler, but that kid was all class.

Richard Berg
04-10-2015, 12:55 PM
We've had pretty good luck accepting the transfer of famous PG's brothers.

NSDukeFan
04-10-2015, 01:05 PM
He wants to play PG to try and showcase his skills for potential pro employers...he's blocked right now at Nova by Ryan Arcidiacano.

Rent-a-player!
Not going to Wisconsin?

If he averaged 3.5 steals per game, sign him up.

luvdahops
04-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Not going to Wisconsin?

Per CB reference, his overall numbers are:

9.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.4 bpg in 28.1 mpg

41.7% FG, 36.3% 3FG, 61.9% FT, 1.97:1 A/TO and PER of 16.9

The assists and A/TO numbers are pretty strong for someone playing primarily off the ball. The only number that really sticks out the negative is his FT%. Which would certainly be an unwelcome change from "Stones". But seems like a very viable option overall.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dylan-ennis-1.html

Rich
04-10-2015, 01:27 PM

Rent-a-player!

Can we rent with an option to buy?

mr. synellinden
04-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Can we rent with an option to buy?

You can with rubber gloves.

NYBri
04-10-2015, 02:40 PM
I see this would be his second transfer in his college career. Not sure what to make of that.

jimsumner
04-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Villanova is bringing in Jalen Brunson, one of the better points in the class of 2015.

You may recall his father Rick, who played at Temple.

Ennis is a little like Billy McCaffrey, who played the 2 at Duke but wanted to play the point because he (correctly) saw that as his only pro position.

COYS
04-10-2015, 04:01 PM
I see this would be his second transfer in his college career. Not sure what to make of that.

Barring any other red flags, I don't see this as an issue in and of itself. If he thinks he needs to showcase his PG skills to have the best opportunity after college, then he should do so. It sounds like he's not even in a position similar to Quinn's where he is almost guaranteed playing time. He will be one of three point guards on Nova's roster and stands a very good chance of falling behind both of the other two.

I would be more concerned about what this says for his skill level, even though there are some pretty good guards on Nova. However, sometime it's all about fit. Even if he's not the purest of point guards, if he is comfortable bringing the ball up the court and setting up the offense, that might be enough to help a team like Duke next year (not saying I've heard anything about the Duke staff actually contacting Ennis). Grayson has shone flashes of being able to handle the ball. Matt has been ok with the ball in his hands. Luke is reported to be pretty solid but he'll still be a freshman. Bring in one guy who has high college level experience to steady that trio and it might allow Grayson to focus more on scoring (which we'll almost certainly need from him), Matt to focus on defense and improving his offense (which we'll also need), and Luke to adapt to the college game without the extra pressure of being the primary ball handler. It also gives the team depth.

Personally, I'm very interested to see what happens at the PG spot for next season. We have enough returning talent that we can be good without adding a point guard to the roster (although I'm assuming we add at least one other recruit). Yet at the same time I think we would be so much better if we added someone to take that role away from our other perimeter players so they can concentrate on scoring.

dukelifer
04-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Villanova is bringing in Jalen Brunson, one of the better points in the class of 2015.

You may recall his father Rick, who played at Temple.

Ennis is a little like Billy McCaffrey, who played the 2 at Duke but wanted to play the point because he (correctly) saw that as his only pro position.

I would take a kid who could reproduce Billy's "junior" season. ;)

jv001
04-10-2015, 10:34 PM
I would take a kid who could reproduce Billy's "junior" season. ;)

I believe Billy had an even better senior season, but the team(Vandy) didn't do as well as the Blue Devils. GoDuke!

pamtar
04-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Oops. Brain fart, sorry...

langdonfan
04-16-2015, 04:56 PM
He's definitely in Duke's radar...http://writingillini.com/2015/04/16/illinois-basketball-dylan-ennis-cuts-list-to-8-teams/

superdave
04-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Is Ennis below Thornton and Jamal on our PG wish list? And he does not have to sit out a year, right?

CDu
04-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Is Ennis below Thornton and Jamal on our PG wish list? And he does not have to sit out a year, right?

Tough to say. A guy who averaged 3.5 apg while playing SG at the major college and who is a fifth-year senior would have some advantages over a true freshman. But there is the question of the transition from SG to PG, even if he has shown PG-like tendencies at Villanova.

And yes, he'd be a grad transfer and eligible right away.

duke09hms
04-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Tough to say. A guy who averaged 3.5 apg while playing SG at the major college and who is a fifth-year senior would have some advantages over a true freshman. But there is the question of the transition from SG to PG, even if he has shown PG-like tendencies at Villanova.

And yes, he'd be a grad transfer and eligible right away.

I'm personally not a fan of grad transfers since we know they will definitely only be here for a year. Seems much more mercenary to me. Whereas with the OADs, there's at least the possibility of them staying longer, like Tyus/Winslow might have if a strong tourney run didn't rocket their draft stock.

I'm also not a fan of losing games, so if we miss on Thornton and Murray at PG, I'll probably feel differently since we'll have no true PG. And before people mention 2010, having a senior Scheyer/junior Smith learning PG is wayyyy different from freshman Kennard/sophomore Allen/junior Jones play PG.

miramar
04-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Anything that whining Bo Ryan dislikes is fine by me at this point.

My only question is whether Ennis knows how to initiate contact to draw fouls. If so, I say sign him up.

MCFinARL
04-17-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm personally not a fan of grad transfers since we know they will definitely only be here for a year. Seems much more mercenary to me. Whereas with the OADs, there's at least the possibility of them staying longer, like Tyus/Winslow might have if a strong tourney run didn't rocket their draft stock.

I'm also not a fan of losing games, so if we miss on Thornton and Murray at PG, I'll probably feel differently since we'll have no true PG. And before people mention 2010, having a senior Scheyer/junior Smith learning PG is wayyyy different from freshman Kennard/sophomore Allen/junior Jones play PG.

In general, I see your point. But this particular year, for this particular program, a grad transfer might make sense. Duke has invested a lot of recruiting time in both Thornton (who may decide not to reclassify) and Dennis Smith Jr., point guards from 2016. A one-year grad transfer to cover the 2015-16 season, assuming neither Thornton nor Murray comes in 2015, would solve an immediate problem while not raising any playing time questions for the 2016 PG target(s).

CDu
04-17-2015, 10:16 AM

I think this captures my feelings as well. Ideally, I'd rather we recruit guys with the hope that they'll stay around a while. Obviously, though, we're in the habit of recruiting one-and-dones because we typically need that type of talent to compete at the highest level.

So, ideally, I'd rather not go the grad transfer route either. But if the alternative is going with no true PG and two guys who have played less than 350 combined minutes at the college level, I'll take the grad transfer. I like winning more than I care about being "high and mighty" about the purity of college sports.

MCFinARL
04-17-2015, 10:37 AM
I think this captures my feelings as well. Ideally, I'd rather we recruit guys with the hope that they'll stay around a while. Obviously, though, we're in the habit of recruiting one-and-dones because we typically need that type of talent to compete at the highest level.

So, ideally, I'd rather not go the grad transfer route either. But if the alternative is going with no true PG and two guys who have played less than 350 combined minutes at the college level, I'll take the grad transfer. I like winning more than I care about being "high and mighty" about the purity of college sports.

And a good thing, because I don't think there is a lot of "purity" left in college sports, at least in basketball and football. Maybe in DIII.

In theory, I am a big fan of true "student athletes"--the idea that the athletic program should complement the academic program, rather than operating with independent goals or, worst case, the other way around (academic program "complements" the athletic program). But in fact I see that the financial engines that drive big time college basketball and football don't leave much room for that, so I am learning to settle for the Duke compromise--athletes who are willing to be fully students while they are in college, however long that may be.

CDu
04-17-2015, 11:36 AM
And a good thing, because I don't think there is a lot of "purity" left in college sports, at least in basketball and football. Maybe in DIII.

In theory, I am a big fan of true "student athletes"--the idea that the athletic program should complement the academic program, rather than operating with independent goals or, worst case, the other way around (academic program "complements" the athletic program). But in fact I see that the financial engines that drive big time college basketball and football don't leave much room for that, so I am learning to settle for the Duke compromise--athletes who are willing to be fully students while they are in college, however long that may be.

Yeah, that about sums it up for me. The idea of the student-athlete still exists, but it is no longer the primary model applied to major D-1 sports. It stinks, but that is (and has been for at least the past 30-40 years) the model we are working under. The one-and-done era just explicitly hammers it home moreso than the old days when guys stayed for 3-4 years.

Billy Dat
04-17-2015, 11:55 AM
In general, I see your point. But this particular year, for this particular program, a grad transfer might make sense. Duke has invested a lot of recruiting time in both Thornton (who may decide not to reclassify) and Dennis Smith Jr., point guards from 2016. A one-year grad transfer to cover the 2015-16 season, assuming neither Thornton nor Murray comes in 2015, would solve an immediate problem while not raising any playing time questions for the 2016 PG target(s).

I have been leaning this way, too. Granted, the two reclassifying targets could turn out to be transcendent talents ala Mr. Stones, but it's hard to expect that outcome. While a kid like Ennis will bring another program's culture with him (which, considering it's Jay Wright and Nova, aint so bad, especially for guards), he'd also be ready to play and lead from Day 1. He knows the speed and toughness of high level D1 ball. For some reason, I am getting bad feelings about this reclassification stuff, like we pushing someone to do something they aren't ready for. I must admit, I feel this way more about Thornton then Thomas because with the Americans, there's the whole fun month of McDonalds/Hoop Summit/Jordan Game that they really look forward to. Thomas has already experienced the ex-US version of that.

On the flip side, with K's career certainly in its later chapters, I'd never consider any year a throwaway. If we can get Thomas/Thornton and Ingram, we are right in the thick of the chase.

CDu
04-17-2015, 12:20 PM
On the flip side, with K's career certainly in its later chapters, I'd never consider any year a throwaway. If we can get Thomas/Thornton and Ingram, we are right in the thick of the chase.

I think these two sentences are pretty important. We have a very finite number of years left with Coach K on the sidelines. After that? Who knows what will happen? Certainly we don't have to look too far to see how quickly some proud and illustrious programs can decline once a transcendant coach leaves, as both UNC and NC State hit major hurdles with their successors (UNC eventually got their man in Williams, but it took a few shaky years to make it happen). There's no guarantee we remain an elite basketball program after Coach K retires. So I want to maximize every season we have left with Coach K. If that means adding a grad transfer or a JuCo transfer or whatever, so be it. As long as it is within the rules and doesn't jeopardize future years, I'm in favor of anything that will help.

COYS
04-17-2015, 02:37 PM
I think these two sentences are pretty important. We have a very finite number of years left with Coach K on the sidelines. After that? Who knows what will happen? Certainly we don't have to look too far to see how quickly some proud and illustrious programs can decline once a transcendant coach leaves, as both UNC and NC State hit major hurdles with their successors (UNC eventually got their man in Williams, but it took a few shaky years to make it happen). There's no guarantee we remain an elite basketball program after Coach K retires. So I want to maximize every season we have left with Coach K. If that means adding a grad transfer or a JuCo transfer or whatever, so be it. As long as it is within the rules and doesn't jeopardize future years, I'm in favor of anything that will help.

I'll go so far as to say I actually like the fact that K and the staff have decided to look at grad transfers. While I get that it's a little less fun knowing for certain that a player is going to be around for only one year, I think the grad transfer option is wonderful for players and programs, alike. Players get a chance to play out their final year of eligibility in a program that they feel suits them better without having to suffer the penalty of sitting out for a year. The schools get the chance to bring in experienced, mature players to help bridge the gap left by sudden transfers, early departures, or injuries. I understand why the NCAA has restrictions on non-grad transfers, though I dislike them. However, I like the fact that guys who graduate in three years (or four with a redshirt year) earn the right to essentially become free agents if they want.

Richard Berg
04-17-2015, 03:44 PM
I'll go so far as to say I actually like the fact that K and the staff have decided to look at grad transfers. While I get that it's a little less fun knowing for certain that a player is going to be around for only one year, I think the grad transfer option is wonderful for players and programs, alike. Players get a chance to play out their final year of eligibility in a program that they feel suits them better without having to suffer the penalty of sitting out for a year. The schools get the chance to bring in experienced, mature players to help bridge the gap left by sudden transfers, early departures, or injuries. I understand why the NCAA has restrictions on non-grad transfers, though I dislike them. However, I like the fact that guys who graduate in three years (or four with a redshirt year) earn the right to essentially become free agents if they want.
I wonder how the deans of Fuqua / Nicholas / Trinity / etc feel about them.

Duvall
04-17-2015, 03:46 PM
I wonder how the deans of Fuqua / Nicholas / Trinity / etc feel about them.

Probably the same way they feel about redshirt senior seeking graduate degrees in various sports.

CDu
04-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Probably the same way they feel about redshirt senior seeking graduate degrees in various sports.

Right. And while we're at it, one-and-done freshmen (heck, almost any of the major sport freshmen athletes) who wouldn't have gotten in were it not for their athletic skills.

We've long ago crossed the Rubicon with regards to the athletics/academics hurdle. The grad student hurdle is just a different one. And given that (unlike freshmen at Duke, where there are a finite number of spaces available) there isn't as binding a restriction on graduate program class sizes, it may be a less awful hurdle than the ones we've long since crossed.

Lennies
04-17-2015, 03:52 PM
Dylan Ennis would be a great get for Duke. He played point guard at Rice and set the freshman record for assists before transferring to Villanova. He tore his MCL during his redshirt year and got a slow start at 'Nova, but he was very good last year. At the beginning of the season he was looking like Villanova's best player. He is a streaky shooter, but he's a good ball handler, very good defender and good rebounder. He seemed like a great teammate at Villanova. Villanova has a very solid senior point guard and a 5-star freshman point guard coming in, so Dylan's desire to transfer is understandable. I think he transferred to Villanova because he wasn't recruited highly out of high school and he wanted a higher level of competition than Conference USA (Rice).

Here's a good profile about Dylan, I fast forwarded it to my favorite play from last season: Player Profile: Dylan Ennis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PdfVQFKhtU&t=4m18s)

CDu
04-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Dylan Ennis would be a great get for Duke. He played point guard at Rice and set the freshman record for assists before transferring to Villanova. He tore his MCL during his redshirt year and got a slow start at 'Nova, but he was very good last year. At the beginning of the season he was looking like Villanova's best player. He is a streaky shooter, but he's a good ball handler, very good defender and good rebounder. He seemed like a great teammate at Villanova. Villanova has a very solid senior point guard and a 5-star freshman point guard coming in, so Dylan's desire to transfer is understandable. I think he transferred to Villanova because he wasn't recruited highly out of high school and he wanted a higher level of competition than Conference USA (Rice).

Here's a good profile about Dylan, I fast forwarded it to my favorite play from last season: Player Profile: Dylan Ennis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PdfVQFKhtU&t=4m18s)

Thanks for the post. Informative, especially the part that he is actually a PG-converted-to-SG-looking-to-go-back-to-PG rather than a SG-looking-to-play-PG. Came to college as a PG at Rice, transferred to a bigger program, but found himself behind other PG.

So we've seen he can score, he can defend, and he has PG experience. It's worth noting that he has spent his four years in college at private schools with solid (Villanova) to good (Rice) academic reputations. So it's not as much of a black eye academically than it would be for a kid who came from, say, Kentucky.

I have no idea if (or how hard) we are pursuing him or if we have a chance, but I'm certainly feeling better about his ability to play PG given that (a) he has played PG at the mid-major level and (b) he clearly has the athleticism to play at the major college level.

Billy Dat
04-17-2015, 04:03 PM
He played point guard at Rice

Wait a minute, we have a chance to have two former Rice players (Sean Obi) on our team at the same time.

"Duke, the Rice of the South!"

I am now convinced this has to happen.

BD80
04-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Wait a minute, we have a chance to have two former Rice players (Sean Obi) on our team at the same time.

Sounds like puffery to me.

kAzE
04-18-2015, 02:48 AM
I'll take Ennis AND Thornton . . . neither one of them is playing 40 minutes a game, and 2 point guards is better than 1. Plus, last time we had a senior point guard play with a freshman point guard, that turned out fairly well.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-18-2015, 04:30 AM
Sounds like puffery to me.

To you, sure.

Sounds like a Krispy Treat to me.

neemizzle
04-18-2015, 05:42 AM
I'll take Ennis AND Thornton . . . neither one of them is playing 40 minutes a game, and 2 point guards is better than 1. Plus, last time we had a senior point guard play with a freshman point guard, that turned out fairly well.

^^^^This.

I had read somewhere (not sure where) that Thornton was considering redshirting if he did reclassify. Not sure if that was 100% the truth where I read it from, but can anyone else shed light on that?

From the sounds of Ennis though, he sounds solid. In all seriousness, I just want a PG. Not just last year, but in years past, when we've had a legit PG handling the ball (Scheyer in 2010 and Nolan when Irving was out in 2011 still counts IMO) we flourish. I've always said if Kyrie didn't go down that year, and if he would have been healthy all year long, who knows, might have been back to back. Our Title teams have had a good PG handling the ball.

1991/1992 - Bobby Hurley
2001 - Jason Williams
2010 - Jon Scheyer (He really became one that year, regardless of what anyone says)
2015 - Tyus Jones/Quinn Cook

So really, that PG gives us that extra push.

This is just my opinion though.

;)

Kedsy
04-18-2015, 08:08 AM
^^^^This.

I had read somewhere (not sure where) that Thornton was considering redshirting if he did reclassify. Not sure if that was 100% the truth where I read it from, but can anyone else shed light on that?

From the sounds of Ennis though, he sounds solid. In all seriousness, I just want a PG. Not just last year, but in years past, when we've had a legit PG handling the ball (Scheyer in 2010 and Nolan when Irving was out in 2011 still counts IMO) we flourish. I've always said if Kyrie didn't go down that year, and if he would have been healthy all year long, who knows, might have been back to back. Our Title teams have had a good PG handling the ball.

1991/1992 - Bobby Hurley
2001 - Jason Williams
2010 - Jon Scheyer (He really became one that year, regardless of what anyone says)
2015 - Tyus Jones/Quinn Cook

So really, that PG gives us that extra push.

This is just my opinion though.

;)

Wait, I thought all our title teams have had versatile future NBA small forwards playing great defense and presenting matchup problems for opponents? Or was it that all our title teams have had extraordinary centers? Sorry, I must be a little confused.

Fact is, our title teams have all had really good players at multiple positions, which is one of the main reasons they were title teams. It's unlikely that any one position is either necessary or sufficient to win a title.

Also, we've had teams with great PGs that didn't come close to a title: 1987 (senior Tommy Amaker) and 1993 (senior Bobby Hurley) come to mind. And we've had teams get very close to a title without a star PG giving us "that extra push," for example 1994 (freshman Jeff Capel) and 1988 (junior Quin Snyder). I mean, did Scotty Thurman make that winning three-pointer in 1994 because we lacked a true PG?

Would it be better to have a great PG than not? Sure. But the rest of it doesn't really mean that much.

Also, you possibly heard about Thornton thinking about redshirting right here on DBR. I believe it has been discussed in both the 2015 recruiting thread and the D. Thornton thread.

MCFinARL
04-18-2015, 10:10 AM

I am now convinced this has to happen.

Um, isn't Rice the Rice of the South? Maybe "Duke, the Rice of the southern Mid-Atlantic!"

neemizzle
04-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Wait, I thought all our title teams have had versatile future NBA small forwards playing great defense and presenting matchup problems for opponents? Or was it that all our title teams have had extraordinary centers? Sorry, I must be a little confused.

Fact is, our title teams have all had really good players at multiple positions, which is one of the main reasons they were title teams. It's unlikely that any one position is either necessary or sufficient to win a title.

Also, we've had teams with great PGs that didn't come close to a title: 1987 (senior Tommy Amaker) and 1993 (senior Bobby Hurley) come to mind. And we've had teams get very close to a title without a star PG giving us "that extra push," for example 1994 (freshman Jeff Capel) and 1988 (junior Quin Snyder). I mean, did Scotty Thurman make that winning three-pointer in 1994 because we lacked a true PG?

Would it be better to have a great PG than not? Sure. But the rest of it doesn't really mean that much.

Also, you possibly heard about Thornton thinking about redshirting right here on DBR. I believe it has been discussed in both the 2015 recruiting thread and the D. Thornton thread.

Haha, you got me. I was dumb and didn't really pay attention to what I was posting! Hahaha! +1!

langdonfan
04-21-2015, 01:03 AM
Just an update, a couple of reports earlier tonight indicated that Ennis has dropped Purdue from his list. Down to seven...

dukelifer
04-21-2015, 09:50 AM

I am pretty sure we lost in 1994 because Antonio Lang cut his finger nails the night before the finals.

porkpa
04-21-2015, 09:58 AM
There is something about a kid who deserts not one, but two programs that places a question mark in my mind. I hope its just a question of circumstances and not character.

Henderson
04-21-2015, 10:14 AM
There is something about a kid who deserts not one, but two programs that places a question mark in my mind. I hope its just a question of circumstances and not character.

Maybe it poses the initial question, but if the question is satisfactorily answered, it's not an issue, and in this case I think that question has been answered sufficiently. Good guy, good family, graduating from Villanova this spring, just looking to set himself up better for life after college. If there were a character issue, I don't think Duke would be recruiting him.

If I were hiring for my company, and an applicant had spent 1 year at one job then 3 years at his most recent job, I wouldn't question his or her character for that reason alone.

Plus look at this guy's shoulders. With Justise gone, Coach K could use a replacement player on whose shoulders one could land a fighter jet.

Duke95
04-21-2015, 10:16 AM

So, did you do anything to investigate this "question mark" in your mind?

tallguy
04-21-2015, 10:25 AM

I hate this sort of reasoning. First off, he's not "deserting" Villanova- he graduated. There's literally no reason to stick around at a school after you graduate if they are not going to further your career goals. Villanova is not going to use him as a point guard, the position he has to play in order to make a career out of basketball, so why on earth would he waste a precious year of his (limited) career potential there? Second, regarding his first transfer...he had a chance to go from Rice to freaking Villanova. That's a huge opportunity in terms of exposure and competition level that any potential professional basketball player would be lucky to receive.

People need to stop vilifying transfers...there is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with transferring. Yes, there are serial transferers, but most the time it's simply a fit issue- maybe the coach left/got fired, maybe they don't like being so far from home, a better situation opened up, or a myriad of other reasons. It's their decision (at least, outside of the ridiculous amount of power the school has to block the transfer), and these young ADULTS should be able to decide where they want to play. You wouldn't begrudge a normal student transferring from Villanova to Harvard, would you?

Duke95
04-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Maybe it poses the initial question, but if the question is satisfactorily answered, it's not an issue, and in this case I think that question has been answered sufficiently. Good guy, good family, graduating from Villanova this spring, just looking to set himself up better for life after college. If there were a character issue, I don't think Duke would be recruiting him.

Exactly.

MarkD83
04-21-2015, 12:21 PM
This discussion is rather comical.

On the one hand we talk about how great college is and that players regardless of talent level should stay as long as possible because getting an education is a good thing and playing for someone like Coach K will further improve their basketball skills.

Then we question the character of players who still want to use all of their eligibility, stay in college to take more classes and improve their basketball skills by playing for a great coach.

I think we should applaud all of the players like Dylan who already have their college degrees and still want to play in college.

Dylan, I like the way you think and you need to attend Duke to be coached by the best BBall coach in the world who has coached two olympic champions, two world champions and Five NCAA National Champions. And by the way I do believe there are plenty of really good graduate departments at Duke so you should be able to find a course or two that are top notch.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Wonder if Thornton's commit takes Ennis out of the picture

CDu
04-21-2015, 01:25 PM
This discussion is rather comical.

On the one hand we talk about how great college is and that players regardless of talent level should stay as long as possible because getting an education is a good thing and playing for someone like Coach K will further improve their basketball skills.

Then we question the character of players who still want to use all of their eligibility, stay in college to take more classes and improve their basketball skills by playing for a great coach.

I think we should applaud all of the players like Dylan who already have their college degrees and still want to play in college.

Dylan, I like the way you think and you need to attend Duke to be coached by the best BBall coach in the world who has coached two olympic champions, two world champions and Five NCAA National Champions. And by the way I do believe there are plenty of really good graduate departments at Duke so you should be able to find a course or two that are top notch.

To be fair, nobody is criticizing him for wanting to use all of his eligibility. The criticism (and it certainly appears to be from a limited group, and not overly critical anyway) is that he is choosing to use all of his eligibility at a place other than the place he has spent the last 3 years. No reason he couldn't spend that fourth year of eligibility while continuing his education at Villanova.

That said, I completely agree that one shouldn't necessarily be frowned upon for seeking to maximize one's opportunities given the available within-the-rules options.

Regardless, I suspect that it is a moot point now that we have Thornton on board. I can't imagine he'd want to transfer to another situation with questionable opportunity to start at PG.

duke blue brewcrew
04-21-2015, 01:34 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Even with an Ingram committment, I believe Duke have the roster room to work it, if Ennis still wants to come. The Blue Devils could really use the depth at the PG spot IMO.

Oriole Way
04-21-2015, 01:37 PM

I don't think there's any chance of Ennis coming to Duke now. He wants to play in the NBA, and to do that, he is best-served showcasing himself at a school where he can start and get maximum minutes. That's no longer likely at Duke with Thornton on board.

In fact, continuing to pursue Ennis will likely contradict the staff's pitch to Thornton. I expect Duke to politely let Ennis know they are no longer interested, although it will be a mutual loss of interest by both the school and the player.

CDu
I was wondering the same thing. Even with an Ingram committment, I believe Duke have the roster room to work it, if Ennis still wants to come. The Blue Devils could really use the depth at the PG spot IMO.

With or without Ingram, I would think it is unlikely Ennis would be interested now. He appears to be seeking the opportunity to be the starting PG (something he wasn't going to get at Villanova). With Thornton on board, that opportunity becomes much more questionable at Duke. So while we'd have the space for him, I don't think we'll have the role for him.

JasonEvans

While I don't have any official inside info, I believe that Duke wanted either Thornton or Ennis, not both. Plus, Ennis wants a situation where he will be able to play 30 or so minutes per game at PG. That is going to be difficult at Duke with Thornton on board (I expect Thornton to play 20-25 mpg with the rest going to Grayson and/or Kennard).

-Jason "if Ennis and Duke still want each other, that would be fabulous, but I now suspect it will not happen" Evans

Troublemaker
This thread is approaching lockable, imo. But might as well wait for Ennis to cut Duke from his list.

From the ESPN article about Derryck's verbal to Duke:

"Last night, Coach K [Mike Krzyzewski] and [assistant] Jeff Capel came in for the visit and they told me how much confidence they have in me to be their point guard next year. They were very prepared about my game and their plan for me.

"They told me they could have went after fifth-year transfers but wanted me instead. I am excited about the opportunity and the challenge."

mr. synellinden
04-21-2015, 01:47 PM
So we're sure this is not the reclassify, commit and redshirt plan that was rumored earlier. Meaning if he qualifies by taking the SAT and enrolls, he expects to play next year, not redshirt? That would have been the only scenario where I could see us going after Ennis as well.

Also, I wonder what impact this might have on Dennis Smith's recruitment - he might now want to wait and see if Thornton goes pro after a year (do people think that's possible? For a top 10-20 PG recruit, I think that would be less common but not out of the realm of possibility) -- or he might think that the Cook - Jones backcourt did pretty well, and maybe that's a blueprint for Smith and Thornton to play alongside one another (it also worked out pretty well for Dawkins and Amaker and Williams and Duhon).

Oriole Way
04-21-2015, 01:47 PM
So we're sure this is not the reclassify, commit and redshirt plan that was rumored earlier. Meaning if he qualifies by taking the SAT and enrolls, he expects to play next year, not redshirt? That would have been the only scenario where I could see us going after Ennis as well.

Also, I wonder what impact this might have on Dennis Smith's recruitment - he might now want to wait and see if Thornton goes pro after a year (do people think that's possible? For a top 10-20 PG recruit, I think that would be less common but not out of the realm of possibility) -- or he might think that the Cook - Jones backcourt did pretty well, and maybe that's a blueprint for Smith and Thornton to play alongside one another (it also worked out pretty well for Dawkins and Amaker and Williams and Duhon).

The ESPN story on Thornton's commitment clearly states that Thornton will reclassify to play next season. No redshirt.

CDu
04-21-2015, 01:49 PM

I'm quite sure Coach K has mentioned the Williams/Duhon connection. Now that Jones and Cook have won a title together, I'm sure he'll be presenting that to Smith as another example. And, as you mention, there is always the chance that Thornton goes pro after next year anyway, leaving the PG position all to Smith.

DangerDevil
04-23-2015, 08:24 AM
His list is down to three: Baylor, Illinois, and Oregon.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/22/report-former-villanova-guard-dylan-ennis-cuts-list-to-three/

brevity
05-07-2015, 03:01 AM
His list is down to three: Baylor, Illinois, and Oregon.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/22/report-former-villanova-guard-dylan-ennis-cuts-list-to-three/

For the sake of closure:

Jeff Borzello (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/596059378102374400) ‏@jeffborzello

Villanova grad transfer Dylan Ennis is headed to Oregon, source told ESPN. Will play right away.

2:10 PM - 6 May 2015

Evan Daniels (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/596059046639226881) @EvanDaniels

Picking up Dylan Ennis is significant for Oregon. Averaged 9.9 points, 3.7 rebounds & 3.5 assists last year for Villanova.

2:08 PM - 6 May 2015