PDA

View Full Version : 2015-2016 Schedule Speculation (Challenge game is home vs. Indiana)

pfrduke
04-08-2015, 01:00 AM
I'm still basking in the glow of last night, but schedule building is my favorite off-season activity. Who will we get to play in our title defense?

We may get a title rematch early on in the season. Duke and Wisconsin are both playing in the 2k Sports Classic, the final rounds of which will be played in MSG. Georgetown and VCU are the other guaranteed final-site participants. The campus-site games are still being populated, but my guess is we'll play Redford and maybe Siena (both confirmed participants). The dates aren't set for the early games, but my bet is that they will be 11/13 and 11/14.

We also draw Kentucky in the Champions Classic, which will be in Chicago this year. That very well could be a matchup against the #1 team in the country.

ACC/B1G will be interesting. We'll probably get a home draw this season. Maryland and Indiana will be among the Big Ten favorites, or we could draw a final four rematch with Michigan State. I suppose it's possible that they go with the finals rematch (and 2014 ACC/B1G rematch) and send the Badgers to Cameron, but the (potential) tournament matchup may be enough to keep that from happening.

I'm not sure if the A-10/ACC challenge (that we agreed to in exchange for the A10 agreeing to vacate the Barclays Center) will kick in next year or not, but if so, I'd wager Duke is involved in it and that we'll have a game in the Barclays Center in December to show for it.

So here's what we know (at least sort of) so far:

Nov. 13 (prob.) - 2k campus game (Siena/Radford?)
Nov. 14 (prob.) - 2k campus game (Siena/Radford?)
Nov. 17 - Kentucky in Chicago
Nov. 20 - 2k in MSG (Wisconsin/Georgetown/VCU)
Nov. 22 - 2k in MSG (Wisconsin/Georgetown/VCU)
Dec. 1/2 - ACC/B1G game (?)

On a somewhat related note, other ACC teams have preseason tourney slots lined up:

UVA continues to under-challenge itself in these events. It's playing in the Charleston Classic, where the best challenge is going to come from either Oklahoma State or Mississippi.
Miami is in Puerto Rice for the Tip-Off - the field includes Utah, Butler, Minnesota, and Temple
FSU is in the Paradise Jam and likely will be the favorite - field includes South Carolina, Tulsa, Depaul, and four mid-majors
Wake's going to Maui where it decidedly will not be the favorite - Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, St. John's, and UNLV all will be there
NCSU is back in one of these after a while - the Legends Classic in NY, with LSU, Marquette, and Arizona State
Clemson is playing in Vegas with Creighton, Georgia, and UMass
UNC will be a big favorite in the CBE - Kansas State, Missouri, and Northwestern (although the first two will have somewhat of a home court environment)
Syracuse is in Atlantis which again has a strong field - UConn, Gonzaga, Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, Washington, and Charlotte
Notre Dame is in Orlando - Wichita State is the main competition here
BC is in Anaheim - Arizona and Michigan State headline, with the Anteaters (Zot! Zot! Zot!) getting local support
Virginia Tech is in something called the Emerald Coast Classic with a decent field - Illinois, Iowa State, and UAB

GT, Louisville, and Pitt are not committed yet. The PNIT has open spots - only Villanova has committed - so that could snag an ACC team.

Olympic Fan
04-08-2015, 03:00 AM
ACC/B1G will be interesting. We'll probably get a home draw this season. Maryland and Indiana will be among the Big Ten favorites, or we could draw a final four rematch with Michigan State. I suppose it's possible that they go with the finals rematch (and 2014 ACC/B1G rematch) and send the Badgers to Cameron, but the (potential) tournament matchup may be enough to keep that from happening.

I suspect that if Duke and Wisconsin are in the same preseason tournament, they won't be matched against Duke in the ACC/B1G Challenge

It is interesting that the top B1G teams next year all played at home in this season's challenge -- Wisconsin, Maryland and Indiana. Michigan State had a road game, so they are due to be at home.

I know that they sometimes fiddle with the home/away rotation, but they try to stick with it. If that holds true, I think Maryland at Duke is a real possibility -- it's just too sweet for ESPN to pass up and Maryland is due a road game, while Duke is slated to be at home.

SCMatt33
04-08-2015, 10:17 AM
I don't think that Duke is really tied to home or away this year. By nature of the challenge, teams have to play consecutive years home or away to be able to rotate match ups. While Duke did play a road game last year, they played at home the two previous year (Michigan and Ohio State) and have played 6 home and 6 road games overall since they stopped going to neutral sites. If not for the preseason tourney, Bucky returning to Cameron would be most likely, but since they might have already played by then, plus the fact that there will be huge turnover on both team, mitigating the rematch feel a bit, plus the fact that a rematch atmosphere works better when the loser gets the home game, I think Duke will be sent to East Lansing. As for Duke-Maryland, I'll believe that only when I see it on the schedule. I don't think the ACC or Duke wants to let it happen at all, even if it's in Cameron. When that game gets scheduled, we'll know how powerful ESPN is compared to the ACC in this.

I also get a sneaking suspicion (and this is a pure gut feeling on my part, noting is real to my knowledge), but I think there's a good chance Duke schedules Temple at the Wells Fargo Center this year. Amile technically doesn't need a senior home game, because Duke played there in the tourney his freshman year (and incidentally, he had one of his best games that year, guarding Dougie McBuckets off the bench), but this is also a game that Duke has scheduled in the past because of Coach K's relationship with Fran Dunphy. The real kicker in my mind though, is that the East Regional is returning to Philadelphia next year. I think that it would make a ton of sense for that game to get scheduled.

I'd also expect to see a return trip from St. John's next year.

MChambers
04-08-2015, 10:25 AM
I'd also expect to see a return trip from St. John's next year.
Good point. So Chris Mullin would finally come to Duke!

Troublemaker
04-08-2015, 10:39 AM
The conference matchups for this upcoming season: (source is http://www.theacc.com/news/ACCMBB-future-matchups_04-21-14_9wyqjq )

Duke 2015-16
Home/Road: North Carolina , Wake Forest , NC State, Louisville
Home: Florida State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Notre Dame
Road: Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Boston College

For comparison's sake:

Virginia 2015-16
(Comment: Duke's top 2 home-and-homes -- UNC and NCSU -- blows away any of UVA's home-and-homes)
Home/Road: Louisville, Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson
Home: North Carolina, NC State, Boston College, Syracuse, Notre Dame
Road: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh

North Carolina 2015-16
Home/Road: Duke, NC State, Boston College, Syracuse
Home: Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh
Road: Florida State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Notre Dame

NC State 2015-16
Home/Road: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Florida State, Duke
Home: Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville, Boston College
Road: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Notre Dame

Troublemaker
04-09-2015, 06:03 PM
ACC / A-10 Challenge will begin in December

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25142446/acc-atlantic-10-challenge-to-begin-in-december-of-2015

Olympic Fan
04-09-2015, 06:54 PM
ACC / A-10 Challenge will begin in December

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25142446/acc-atlantic-10-challenge-to-begin-in-december-of-2015

So two ACC teams involved this year and two the next and two the next .... I'm guessing that six different ACC teams will be involved in all (as much as ESPN might like to keep it to 2-3 superpowers)

I'd be willing to bet big money that Duke is involved this coming year (even though UVa and UNC are going to be projected as the top two teams). Dayton, VCU and Davidson look like the strongest A-10 teams going into next year.

pfrduke
04-09-2015, 06:59 PM
So two ACC teams involved this year and two the next and two the next .... I'm guessing that six different ACC teams will be involved in all (as much as ESPN might like to keep it to 2-3 superpowers)

I'd be willing to bet big money that Duke is involved this coming year (even though UVa and UNC are going to be projected as the top two teams). Dayton, VCU and Davidson look like the strongest A-10 teams going into next year.

I wonder if K is going to lobby for Duke's participation to come the year after, as that year will be the first year we're in the Barclays for the ACC tourney.

tbyers11
04-09-2015, 07:07 PM
I wonder if K is going to lobby for Duke's participation to come the year after, as that year will be the first year we're in the Barclays for the ACC tourney.

Especially as we are already committed to to play in MSG on Nov 20/22 in the 2K Classic and we played in the Barclays Center last year in the Coaches vs Cancer

awhom111
04-09-2015, 09:48 PM
I sort of asked this elsewhere, but does anyone know if we are doing our foreign tour this summer? This is the first year we can go again and our staff will obviously be a little busy next summer.

Now that we are the NCAA Champions it would be cool to play the champions of the other NCAA in the Philippines. Maybe we could even make it a bigger college championship with teams from Japan and South Korea.

It would seem that our programs like to do something more meaningful than a trip to the Bahamas to play random teams (our soccer teams have attended the recent World Cups) so if we do cook one up, I am sure that it will be good. The time of year probably makes European club teams not the best option. National teams seem like good opponents.

wilson
04-09-2015, 10:08 PM
I have a very good chance to score tickets for an early-season non-conference game, and now I'd like to try to go for the raising of the 2015 banner. Is this traditionally just done at the first home game? Anyone know when we might expect an official announcement?

Duvall
04-09-2015, 10:29 PM
I have a very good chance to score tickets for an early-season non-conference game, and now I'd like to try to go for the raising of the 2015 banner. Is this traditionally just done at the first home game? Anyone know when we might expect an official announcement?

Any banner or ring ceremony will probably take place at Countdown to Craziness.

blazindw
04-09-2015, 10:46 PM

In 2010, they raised the banner and presented rings at Countdown to Craziness. I would bet it's the same thing again this year.

msdukie
04-10-2015, 12:19 AM
Actually the banner is raised the first time at the banquet and left up briefly to take pictures then taken down. It isn't necessarily the final banner. In 2010 they did this then took the banner down until Countdown. By the time Countdown came around, all 4 banners had been resized as they were getting too big with 4 there and the 1991 and 1992 Final Four logos on the banners were slightly (and inaccurately) modified. But then I have now established myself as the banner nitpicker.

BigWayne
04-10-2015, 03:44 AM
No telling who we'll be playing against in Chicago. Kentucky lost 7 to the NBA today.

Olympic Fan
04-11-2015, 06:22 PM

I meant look this up earlier ... I just got around to it.

It's true that we play the ACC Tournament in Washington, DC, this year, but that doesn't mean a regular season game in Barclays would be wasted.

Barclays is hosting the NCAA Tournament (second-third rounds) in 2016.

Now, so is the PNC Arena in Raleigh and that's where we'd like to go. But with Virginia and North Carolina likely to be higher ranked in preseason (NC State is hosting, so they can't play in Raleigh), it's a long-shot that Duke would get sent there. Well, maybe not a long-shot, but ost likely Duke would have to be higher seeded than either Virginia or UNC.

The next closest site is Brooklyn.

So -- just in case -- it would be a good idea to give next year's team a taste of the Barclays experience -- either in the ACC/A-10 Challenge or maybe our pre-Christmas visit to the New York area.

duke2x
04-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Duke has not scheduled more games outside Cameron than at home. We usually play a 7H-6 A/N split with the A/N being the best opponents.

Home (3): 2k, 2k, St. John's (all educated guesses)
Away/Neutral (4): UK, 2k, 2k, annual MSG/NYC game (announced and educated guesses).
TBD: Big 10 (can be home or away)

The ACC-A10 presents an interesting scheduling problem. First, if Duke plays a road game in the B-10 Challenge, the last game to schedule outside Cameron this year would be the A-10 Challenge. That would be 6. We're supposed to play Davidson in Charlotte sometime soon (2015, 2016, 2017), but that probably gets bumped. Second, there isn't a lot of room in December to play the A-10 Challenge. You've basically got the Saturday before exams (when Duke has stopped scheduling games recently and TV focuses on football), December 16-21 (where we are also likely to play 1 game in Cameron on 12/14 and then 1-2 other games), and December 29-31 (Random weeknight of bowl week and we are likely to play 1 game in Cameron on 12/27 first). I would not be surprised if they save the best for last in the A-10 Challenge (2017). We could play again in Maui then and would want more games in NYC that year.

SCMatt33
04-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Duke has not scheduled more games outside Cameron than at home. We usually play a 7H-6 A/N split with the A/N being the best opponents.

Home (3): 2k, 2k, St. John's (all educated guesses)
Away/Neutral (4): UK, 2k, 2k, annual MSG/NYC game (announced and educated guesses).
TBD: Big 10 (can be home or away)

The ACC-A10 presents an interesting scheduling problem. First, if Duke plays a road game in the B-10 Challenge, the last game to schedule outside Cameron this year would be the A-10 Challenge. That would be 6. We're supposed to play Davidson in Charlotte sometime soon (2015, 2016, 2017), but that probably gets bumped. Second, there isn't a lot of room in December to play the A-10 Challenge. You've basically got the Saturday before exams (when Duke has stopped scheduling games recently and TV focuses on football), December 16-21 (where we are also likely to play 1 game in Cameron on 12/14 and then 1-2 other games), and December 29-31 (Random weeknight of bowl week and we are likely to play 1 game in Cameron on 12/27 first). I would not be surprised if they save the best for last in the A-10 Challenge (2017). We could play again in Maui then and would want more games in NYC that year.

I'm not sure why an ACC-A10 game would necessarily make 6 pending ACC/B1G assignment. I'd assume that whatever year Duke gets that game, it will serve as Duke's de facto NYC/NJ game for the year, as opposed to an additional NYC game as you seem to assume. Duke's been willing to schedule that game against non-power conference teams before, scheduling Temple and Xavier when each was in the A-10, as well as Butler and Gonzaga. The A-10 is still a multi-bid league, and it won't be hard for Duke to get a projected tournament quality team for the game, which is what Duke normally looks for in scheduling an opponent there.

Troublemaker
04-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Last year, the ACC-Big 10 matchups for early December were announced on May 1: http://www.theacc.com/news/16th-Annual-ACC-Big-Ten-Challenge-Matchups_05-01-14_ofdy6z

So, in the next week or so, I would expect this year's matchups to be revealed.

My predictions:

(1) MD vs (1) UNC (not sure location. National Preseason #1 vs National Preseason #2?)
(2) Indiana AT (2) Duke (Hoosiers owe us a return game, and they were at home last year vs Pitt.)
(3) MichSt vs (3) UVA (not sure location)

Yogi Ferrell announced his decision to stay today, so Indiana will be Big 10 preseason #2 to Maryland's #1.
In the ACC, UVA will get underrated again and will have to play their nemesis MSU.

SCMatt33
04-27-2015, 12:08 AM
Last year, the ACC-Big 10 matchups for early December were announced on May 1: http://www.theacc.com/news/16th-Annual-ACC-Big-Ten-Challenge-Matchups_05-01-14_ofdy6z

So, in the next week or so, I would expect this year's matchups to be revealed.

My predictions:

(1) MD vs (1) UNC (not sure location. National Preseason #1 vs National Preseason #2?)
(2) Indiana AT (2) Duke (Hoosiers owe us a return game, and they were at home last year vs Pitt.)
(3) MichSt vs (3) UVA (not sure location)

Yogi Ferrell announced his decision to stay today, so Indiana will be Big 10 preseason #2 to Maryland's #1.
In the ACC, UVA will get underrated again and will have to play their nemesis MSU.

What do they owe us a return for? We played them two straight years in 05-06 and 06-07. I don't remember playing them since. Personally, I think Duke gets sent to East Lansing for a FF rematch.

duke09hms
04-27-2015, 12:15 AM
What do they owe us a return for? We played them two straight years in 05-06 and 06-07. I don't remember playing them since. Personally, I think Duke gets sent to East Lansing for a FF rematch.

God I hope not. I'm so tired of playing MSU almost every year. Indiana would be a fun matchup. One of the (former?) bluebloods that we don't play too often.

Troublemaker
04-27-2015, 08:09 AM

Huh, how 'bout that? I completely don't remember the game we played in 06-07. The score was 54-51 Duke, so maybe it was too ugly to commit to memory. Thanks for the correction!

Dev11
04-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Who actually decides the matchups, ESPN or the conferences? I won't be surprised at all if Duke gets Maryland, just hope it's in Durham.

SCMatt33
04-27-2015, 10:04 AM
Who actually decides the matchups, ESPN or the conferences? I won't be surprised at all if Duke gets Maryland, just hope it's in Durham.

I think it's technically the conferences, though I'm sure ESPN's wishes are not ignored. I seriously doubt the ACC would allow Maryland to get a home game against Duke within the next decade judging by the bitterness/lawsuits between the two. As for potential location next year, Duke is really not tied to a home or road game as they have played 6 home and 6 road games in the challenge, and played last year on the road but two straight home games before that. So with a road game Duke will be playing 2 road games in a row, and with a home game, Duke will be playing 3 home games in 4 years. Either way, it's not perfect balance, but really the main focus of the challenge is to balance home and away over the long run, allowing themselves to mix up match ups in the short term.

Since it was brought up about who "owes" a game with Duke earlier, here is the breakdown of who Duke has played on a campus site in the challenge, with home/road splits:

3 Games:

Wisconsin (1 Home, 2 Road)
Michigan St. (2 Home, 1 Road)

2 Games:

Indiana (1 Home, 1 Road)
Ohio St. (1 Home, 1 Road)

1 Game:

Purdue (Road)
Michigan (Home)

So if you want to be technical, Duke owes two games to the state of Michigan, but Purdue and Wisconsin need to come to Durham.

sagegrouse
04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
As it stands now, Duke is the main draw* as an ACC team. What's the premier matchup against Duke? Duh.... Do you think it might be Wisconsin?

Kindly, Sage

* Defending national champion; most famous basketball coach today and one of the two or three most famous of all time; most popular program, according to the Harris Poll; most "hated" program, according to a bunch of posters on DBR

SCMatt33
04-27-2015, 11:19 AM
As it stands now, Duke is the main draw* as an ACC team. What's the premier matchup against Duke? Duh.... Do you think it might be Wisconsin?

Kindly, Sage

* Defending national champion; most famous basketball coach today and one of the two or three most famous of all time; most popular program, according to the Harris Poll; most "hated" program, according to a bunch of posters on DBR

I hint most are assuming this doesn't come to fruition because both are in the same in-season tournament and might have already played each other by the time the challenge happens. Otherwise, Wisconsin in Cameron would be a mortal lock.

arnie
04-27-2015, 11:55 AM
God I hope not. I'm so tired of playing MSU almost every year. Indiana would be a fun matchup. One of the (former?) bluebloods that we don't play too often.

I imagine MSU is much more tired of playing Duke at this point. I can see them sending us to College Park for the ratings. Not going to avoid this forever. Plus it's been awhile since MD campus has rioted.

Dev11
04-27-2015, 02:05 PM
I imagine MSU is much more tired of playing Duke at this point. I can see them sending us to College Park for the ratings. Not going to avoid this forever. Plus it's been awhile since MD campus has rioted.

Maryland has played a full basketball schedule since they left the ACC. I'm sure they didn't go 30+ games without a good old Route 1 riot.

If Wisconsin brought back more of its stars, in particular Dekker, I could see the appeal of the title game rematch like Butler in 2010 (RIP, toe de Kyrie), but they're probably going to see a big drop this year.

sagegrouse
04-27-2015, 04:02 PM

Maryland has played a full basketball schedule since they left the ACC. I'm sure they didn't go 30+ games without a good old Route 1 riot.

If Wisconsin brought back more of its stars, in particular Dekker, I could see the appeal of the title game rematch like Butler in 2010 (RIP, toe de Kyrie), but they're probably going to see a big drop this year.

Moreover, Maryland is raising its sights. Not content with burning old sofas on US-1, now the target is the library (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Crews-Respond-to-Fire-at-University-of-Maryland-Library-301421011.html?partner=nbcnews).

brevity
04-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Moreover, Maryland is raising its sights. Not content with burning old sofas on US-1, now the target is the library (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Crews-Respond-to-Fire-at-University-of-Maryland-Library-301421011.html?partner=nbcnews).

This tells me that goose-stepping morons at Maryland should try reading books instead of burning them!

throatybeard
04-27-2015, 08:27 PM
My prediction about the schedule is that many people on this board will complain loudly about the number of non-conference road games Duke plays. This number will be in the general vicinity of 0.7.

Olympic Fan
04-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Didn't we go through the debate about whether Duke gets a home game or a road game in the ACC/Big Ten challenge a dew weeks ago?

The basic facts:

1. Duke played on the road last year.
2. Duke played at home two years in a row before that.
3. In the history of the challenge, Duke has now played six games at home and six games on the road (and four neutral -- two in Greensboro; two in Chicago).
4. Maryland played at home last year against Virginia.

I think we'd see a Wisconsin at Duke rematch, except that (1) Wisconsin has been decimated by graduation and Dekker's early departure and Bo hasn't been able to reload like K; there's a good chance that Duke and Wisconsin meet a week earlier in another tournament.

Personally, I think that we'll probably see Maryland at Virginia (since Virginia was at Maryland a year ago). But the next most likely is Maryland at Duke. Indiana at Duke is my next most likely matchup for the Devils (Indiana was at home last year).

I know they don't go strictly by a home/away rotation, but they do have to even things up by the end of each contract. They usually follow the home-away plan.

gam7
05-02-2015, 02:36 AM
So here's what we know (at least sort of) so far:

Nov. 13 (prob.) - 2k campus game (Siena/Radford?)
Nov. 14 (prob.) - 2k campus game (Siena/Radford?)
Nov. 17 - Kentucky in Chicago
Dec. 1/2 - ACC/B1G game (?)

Looks like we open on 11/13 with ... Bryant (http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150407/SPORTS/150409492/14010). Apparently, the Bryant University President tweeted it out late on the night of 4/6/15. Can't imagine how that bit of news could have slipped past Duke fans that night...:cool:

SCMatt33
05-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Looks like we open on 11/13 with ... Bryant (http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150407/SPORTS/150409492/14010). Apparently, the Bryant University President tweeted it out late on the night of 4/6/15. Can't imagine how that bit of news could have slipped past Duke fans that night...:cool:

I'm guessing that was an oops release. Probably was supposed to be announced with the entirety of the match-ups for the 2K Classic. Hopefully, this means we'll know the full event schedule (including semifinal opponents) sooner rather than later.

tbyers11
05-02-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm guessing that was an oops release. Probably was supposed to be announced with the entirety of the match-ups for the 2K Classic. Hopefully, this means we'll know the full event schedule (including semifinal opponents) sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing we'll get VCU and Wisconsin/Georgetown will be the other semi. Tournament folks probably want Duke in final. A VCU team that lost Shaka and all their major incoming recruits is not going to be that good and is by far the easiest of the 3 opponents. Wisconsin and GTown both project toward bottom of top 20. Unless the tourney folks want to ensure a Duke-Wisconsin game and match us up in the semis.

Henderson
05-02-2015, 11:55 AM
I guess I was assuming more of a regularized system/schedule for deciding the matchups for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Silly me. The whole thing is just decided by a group of guys without externally-imposed decision-making parameters? And they get to tell teams, "you will play this team here."? Who are these people?

Olympic Fan
05-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Andy Katz just told the Indiana fan base that he expects Indiana at Duke to be one of the two marquee matchups in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge:

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2015/5/5/8555917/espns-andy-katz-is-predicting-indiana-will-play-at-duke-in-big-ten

He expects Maryland at UNC as the other biggie. Interesting because by strict rotation (which they don't always follow), UNC is due a road game next season. But we got two home games in a row a few years ago, so it's possible. The other three teams he mentioned are right -- Duke is due a home game; Indiana and Maryland are due road games.

Of course, that's just Katz's opinion -- but since he's ESPN's chief basketball reporter and ESPN is running this thing, it's a pretty good chance he knows what he's talking about.

ACCBBallFan
05-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Andy Katz just told the Indiana fan base that he expects Indiana at Duke to be one of the two marquee matchups in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge:

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2015/5/5/8555917/espns-andy-katz-is-predicting-indiana-will-play-at-duke-in-big-ten

He expects Maryland at UNC as the other biggie. Interesting because by strict rotation (which they don't always follow), UNC is due a road game next season. But we got two home games in a row a few years ago, so it's possible. The other three teams he mentioned are right -- Duke is due a home game; Indiana and Maryland are due road games.

Of course, that's just Katz's opinion -- but since he's ESPN's chief basketball reporter and ESPN is running this thing, it's a pretty good chance he knows what he's talking about.

I tried to rank in terms of ratings or returning players, ecruits and transfers and came up with the same,top 2 without attemptig home versus away

ACC - Big 10

UNC - MD

Duke - Ind

Lville- Mich St

FSU - tOSU

Cuse - Mich

N Dame - Purdue

UVA - Illini

NC St - Wisc

Miami (FL) - Iowa

Wake - Rutgers

VA Tech - MN

Pitt - Penn State

Clemson, BC and GA Tech no dance partner from Big10

Troublemaker
05-05-2015, 07:43 PM
ACCBballFan - UVA at 7th?

CDu
05-05-2015, 07:48 PM

Wow! Yeah, I would call that... Unlikely.

SCMatt33
05-05-2015, 09:20 PM

So if you watch the video, which is simply Katz's daily "3-point shot" segment, he acknowledges that his guesses are pure speculation on his part. He also says that the match-up would "most likely" be at Cameron because Duke was on the road last year, but falls short of outright predicting it. He also talks extensively about the possibility of Duke-Maryland, but his "gut" is that it won't happen because there are other attractive match-ups out there. Another note, if you go back to his 3-point shot segment from Monday, he talks about Wisconsin's schedule for the upcoming year, including his guesses that there will be a Duke/VCU and Wisconsin/Georgetown pairing for the 2K, and that he's guessing Wisconsin at Syracuse for the challenge.

ACCBBallFan
05-05-2015, 11:24 PM

My method tends to favor teams that recruit Top 30 guys and undervalue programs like UVA and Wisc that get more out of lower ranked guys.

I have appended the ESPN and CBS way too early Top 25 if you want to reorder. By coincidence 3 matchups remain the same - UNC, Duke and FSU

ACC - Big 10

UNC (1-2) - MD (2-4)

Duke (6-7) - Ind (13-14)

Lville (21-NR)- Mich St (8-12)

FSU (25-35) - tOSU (NR)

Cuse (NR) - Mich (19-26)

N Dame (13- NR)- Purdue (29-NR)

UVA (5-7) - Illini (NR)

NC St (27-NR) - Wisc (17-25)

Miami (FL) (22-36) - Iowa (NR)

which would yield

UNC - MD

UVA-Mich St

Duke-Ind

N Dame - Wisc

Lville - Mich

Miami - Purdue

FSU - tOSU

NC St -Illini

Cuse - Iowa

DU82
05-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Word from my "spies" up north in Philly. Looks like a game is being scheduled in MSG or Barclays against Villanova. I'm guessing this is our annual NYC holiday game.

Olympic Fan
05-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Word from my "spies" up north in Philly. Looks like a game is being scheduled in MSG or Barclays against Villanova. I'm guessing this is our annual NYC holiday game.

Love it ... 'Nova is going to be a top 10, maybe top 5 team, next season.

We are also likely to play in Barclays in the ACC/A-10 Doubleheader which starts next year (it's part of the payoff the ACC is making to get Barclays for the ACC Tournament in 2017-19). Just two ACC teams will play each year, but I'd be surprised if Duke isn't in the first pairing.

mo.st.dukie
05-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Awesome. Even though it's probably just a one time thing I've always wanted Duke to get a home and home going with Nova. It would be just like the home and home with Temple since Nova also plays many of it's big home games in the 76ers arena.

English
05-12-2015, 01:19 PM

I spoke with Jay Wright a couple of weeks ago, and he specifically mentioned that the deal was nearly done for the annual Duke in NYC game to pit Duke-Villanova, prior to Justise and Tyus declaring for the draft. In the aftermath, the Duke staff backed away from the matchup considering that Duke might reconsider playing a weaker team. This, obviously, was before the commitments of Derryk Thornton and Brandon Ingram. At the time, again ~2wks ago, Jay seemed pretty convinced that the Duke-Nova ship had sailed.

Perhaps the talks are back on--I hope so. Nice matchup, and I would certainly be in attendance.

94duke
05-12-2015, 02:55 PM
This tells me that goose-stepping morons at Maryland should try reading books instead of burning them!

Couldn't spork you, but thank you, Henry. ;)

Olympic Fan
05-13-2015, 01:40 PM
ACC-Big Ten matchups should be released any day now -- it was May 1 last year ... it's almost always the first half of May.

A source at NC State just told me that Michigan will be at NC State in the Challenge. Apparently, they just got the news confirmed.

So we should know the rest very soon.

Troublemaker
05-13-2015, 01:43 PM
It's all over twitter.

Indiana at Duke, confirmed.

SCMatt33
05-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Brett McMurphy tweeting out reported challenge match ups, including Indiana at Duke.

ACC-B1G hoops challenge: Maryland at UNC, Indiana at Duke, UL at MSU, UVa at Ohio St., ND at Illinois, Wis. at Syracuse

blazindw
05-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Brett McMurphy tweeting out reported challenge match ups, including Indiana at Duke.

ACC-B1G hoops challenge: Maryland at UNC, Indiana at Duke, UL at MSU, UVa at Ohio St., ND at Illinois, Wis. at Syracuse

Here's a spreadsheet, compliments of @lebrownlow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/lebrownlow/status/598549157956161536

flyingdutchdevil
05-13-2015, 02:13 PM

Really? Indiana? Guess the Big10 is gonna be kinda crappy next year.

jhmoss1812
05-13-2015, 02:17 PM

At least you guys drew a ranked team. UVA gets to play an unranked Ohio State team on the road.

flyingdutchdevil
05-13-2015, 02:19 PM
At least you guys drew a ranked team. UVA gets to play an unranked Ohio State team on the road.

That's even worse. They should just create the "ACC/[Next Best Conference] Challenge".

Olympic Fan
05-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Well, I knew the release would be soon -- I just didn't know how soon.

A couple of quick observations:

-- Georgia Tech is the ACC team that's left out. One of the unwritten rules is that no team gets left out twice in a row. A year ago, BC was left out. Even though they are going to be projected last in the ACC next season, they can't be left out again -- hence, Georgia Tech bites the bullet. It was either going to be them or Virginia Tech and the Hokies look a little better on paper (plus, they were left out two tears ago)

-- 26 of the 28 teams involved next season are on a perfect home and away rotation (meaning the teams that were at home last year are on the road ... the teams that were on the road last yea are at home). The two exceptions are UNC, home for the second straight year, and Virginia, on the road for the second straight year.

And for the record, Indiana will almost certainly be the No. 2 pick in the Big Ten next year -- they didn't lose either of their star guards to the NBA and they added 7-1 Thomas Bryant, which should help gill their one glaring weakness.

Troublemaker
05-13-2015, 02:23 PM

That might be college hoops in general next season.

But Indiana looks like they'll be pretty good. Yogi Ferrell, James Blackmon, Troy Williams, Thomas Bryant. That should be a good game.

Derryck Thornton will get tested in the non-conference slate, going up against Ulis, Ferrell, and maybe Arcidiacano.

gam7
05-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Here's a spreadsheet, compliments of @lebrownlow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/lebrownlow/status/598549157956161536

What's the source of the rankings they are listing here?

SCMatt33
05-13-2015, 02:40 PM
That might be college hoops in general next season.

I'm already dreading how much we'll have to hear Jay Bilas talk about a "down year" in college basketball, and how there are a lot of "very good" teams, but no "great" teams.

I also find it interesting that there are only 2 teams playing in the same location (home vs road) compared to last year. Given that there have been an even number of challenges, most teams will have played an equal number of home and road games going into this year over the long term. Next year won't have that much freedom as I doubt they will have a team with 2 extra home or road games over the life of the challenge.

Avvocato
05-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Not sure anyone has seen this, but the ACC-Big Ten match-ups have been announced. Duke draws Indiana. UNC gets Maryland.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/107256/ranking-the-big-tenacc-challenge-games

Olympic Fan
05-13-2015, 02:42 PM
ESPN column on the pairings (and the fact that they had it up so fast, indicates that they've know about this for awhile):

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/107256/ranking-the-big-tenacc-challenge-games

Note -- this link includes an Andy Katz commentary

And props to Katz, who was on the money two weeks ago with his Maryland at UNC and Indiana at Duke predictions. A little inside knowledge there, Andy?

MChambers
05-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Brennan's piece on the matchups says UNC is adding two four star newcomers? Is that a reference to Maye and Williams?

jacone21
05-13-2015, 03:04 PM
On the Georgia Southern campus today, I'm hearing rumors that the Eagles will be on the Duke schedule next season.

Wish it were football!

SCMatt33
05-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Brennan's piece on the matchups says UNC is adding two four star newcomers? Is that a reference to Maye and Williams?

Yes, ESPN is the only service that lists Maye as a four star and not a three star recruit.

Olympic Fan
05-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Just to update what we know (and think we know) about the 2015-16 schedule:

Nov. 13 -- 2k preliminary game in Cameron (maybe vs. Bryant College)
Nov. 14 -- 2K preliminary game in Cameron
Nov. 17 -- Kentucky in Chicago
Nov. 20 -- 2K semifinals in Madison Square Garden vs. VCU (probably), Wisconsin or Georgetown
Nov. 22 -- 2k semifinals in Madison Square Garden vs. Georgetown (my guess) or Wisconsin or VCU
Dec. 2 -- Indiana in Cameron (ACC/Big Ten)
Dec. 18-22 -- Game in New York (or Meadlowlands or Barclays in Brooklyn) vs. Villanova or somebody else
Late December -- Possible game in Barclays as part of ACC/A-10 doubleheader vs. Dayton? or Davidson? (just guessing ... no guarantee Duke is in this this season)

ACC home games: UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, FSU, Notre Dame, Virginia, VPI and Syracuse
ACC road games: UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, Miami, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Clemson and BC

Other non-conference: St. John's in Cameron?

That's 24 games we know for sure (the 18 ACC games, the four 2k games, the games with Kentucky and Indiana)

That leaves seven more games ... if we add St. John's, Villanova and the potential ACC/A-10 game, that's three more games to fill. Georgia Southern could be one of those, but it's also likely to be one of the 2k preliminary games. I think we'll have a weak non-conference foe in late November, between the 2k finals and the ACC/Big Ten ... also a week post-exam game in mid-December (before the showcase game in the New York area).

Any corrections or additions are welcome

jacone21
05-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Just to update what we know (and think we know) about the 2015-16 schedule:

Nov. 13 -- 2k preliminary game in Cameron (maybe vs. Bryant College)
Nov. 14 -- 2K preliminary game in Cameron
Nov. 17 -- Kentucky in Chicago
Nov. 20 -- 2K semifinals in Madison Square Garden vs. VCU (probably), Wisconsin or Georgetown
Nov. 22 -- 2k semifinals in Madison Square Garden vs. Georgetown (my guess) or Wisconsin or VCU
Dec. 2 -- Indiana in Cameron (ACC/Big Ten)
Dec. 18-22 -- Game in New York (or Meadlowlands or Barclays in Brooklyn) vs. Villanova or somebody else
Late December -- Possible game in Barclays as part of ACC/A-10 doubleheader vs. Dayton? or Davidson? (just guessing ... no guarantee Duke is in this this season)

ACC home games: UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, FSU, Notre Dame, Virginia, VPI and Syracuse
ACC road games: UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, Miami, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Clemson and BC

Other non-conference: St. John's in Cameron?

That's 24 games we know for sure (the 18 ACC games, the four 2k games, the games with Kentucky and Indiana)

That leaves seven more games ... if we add St. John's, Villanova and the potential ACC/A-10 game, that's three more games to fill. Georgia Southern could be one of those, but it's also likely to be one of the 2k preliminary games. I think we'll have a weak non-conference foe in late November, between the 2k finals and the ACC/Big Ten ... also a week post-exam game in mid-December (before the showcase game in the New York area).

The rumor I'm hearing for Georgia Southern is a 12/15 date.. I haven't heard official confirmation yet.

devildeac
05-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Huh, how 'bout that? I completely don't remember the game we played in 06-07. The score was 54-51 Duke, so maybe it was too ugly to commit to memory. Thanks for the correction!

I was fortunate enough to attend that game. It was indeed ugly. But, on the lighter side, Kelvin called me, too;).

Dev11
05-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Kentucky, Indiana, Villanova, and two of Georgetown/Wisconsin/VCU is a really solid non-conference schedule, especially with only one of those at home.

rocketeli
05-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Yes, ESPN is the only service that lists Maye as a four star and not a three star recruit.

Another page in the long book of love between ESPN and UNC. Maye got an upgrade to try and make their recruiting class look less lame.

Guess the guy Bill Simmons didn't hate Duke enough (coulda fooled me)

Duvall
05-13-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm already dreading how much we'll have to hear Jay Bilas talk about a "down year" in college basketball, and how there are a lot of "very good" teams, but no "great" teams.

Good luck hearing that from ESPN in a year when UNC is ranked in the top five, for however long that lasts.

-bdbd
05-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Here's the view from College Park:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/

They are getting pumped for what they expect to be their "championship season," what with their "roster just littered with future NBA stars..."

Glad they are traveling to Chapel Hill, rather than other way around. Safer for NC players that way.... Also very glad Duke is hosting Indy. I think that we'll be favored. Given all of the youth, I expect us, again, to be a lot better in March than in Nov. as a team.

-jk
05-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Here's the view from College Park:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/

They are getting pumped for what they expect to be their "championship season," what with their "roster just littered with future NBA stars..."

Glad they are traveling to Chapel Hill, rather than other way around. Safer for NC players that way.... Also very glad Duke is hosting Indy. I think that we'll be favored. Given all of the youth, I expect us, again, to be a lot better in March than in Nov. as a team.

Your link isn't working for me...

Edit: Never mind. I found it (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2015/05/13/maryland-basketball-to-meet-north-carolina-in-big-ten-acc-challenge/). The quotes were "position itself as a national contender" and "a roster littered with NBA prospects" which bollixed my google-fu. Hyperbole; got it...

-jk

wolfpack
05-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Am I the only one that's really skeptical on Maryland? It wouldn't surprise me at all if they end up being a fringe top 25 team.

gumbomoop
05-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Am I the only one that's really skeptical on Maryland? It wouldn't surprise me at all if they end up being a fringe top 25 team.

I'll be very surprised if they're not consensus preseason top 3-4, possibly 1-2. Based on my (and probably general) criteria -- talent, experience, depth -- they deserve high pre-rank.

Turgeon probably has 9 guys who can play, most of whom have more than sufficient experience, one of whom (Trimble) looks a super talent, and several of whom are likely to be very good. Trimble had a superb frosh season. Layman can play wing 3 or stretch 4. If Turgeon wants to play big, using Layman at wing 3, he has 4 bigs he can rotate. Rasheed's arrival gives them 3 wing 2/3s.

As to where they'll end up, IMO the big question will be chemistry. How will promising soph wings Nickens and Wiley respond to losing significant minutes to Rasheed? How smoothly will Sulaimon and Diamond Stone fit in? I assume Robert Carter will work in nicely, as he's been there a year on a redshirt.

So it would certainly surprise me to see them drop to fringe-25 by season's end. They have good reason to be optimistic.

Duvall
05-13-2015, 08:36 PM
So it would certainly surprise me to see them drop to fringe-25 by season's end. They have good reason to be optimistic.

And yet...they also have Turgeon.

davidson
05-13-2015, 09:59 PM

Duke will not be part of the ACC-A10 challenge this year at Barclays. I'm sure that K probably prefers to do that in the same year that the ACC tourney is in Brooklyn, but don't think that preference has anything to do with not being included next year.

Davidson at Duke is still on the table for next season. Should be decided soon.

UtahStateOutsider
05-14-2015, 12:30 AM
Hey I'm a Utah State guy and have heard rumblings of a one & done with Duke for next season but can't find anyone (that I trust) willing to say for sure. Basically wondering if any Duke fans have heard anything. Didn't see anything about it in the thread so figured I'd just ask. Thanks

flyingdutchdevil
05-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Another page in the long book of love between ESPN and UNC. Maye got an upgrade to try and make their recruiting class look less lame.

Guess the guy Bill Simmons didn't hate Duke enough (coulda fooled me)

Seriously? Duke fans are complaining about ESPN favoritism towards UNC? Is the pot calling the kettle black? Must be.

szstark
05-14-2015, 09:31 AM
How does a highly ranked (pre-season) Virginia team get to play an unranked team in the challenge? I thought the pairings were designed to put highly ranked teams against other highly ranked teams.:confused:

Dev11
05-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Seriously? Duke fans are complaining about ESPN favoritism towards UNC? Is the pot calling the kettle black? Must be.

Yeah, it's insane to think that ESPN has any specific bias for UNC over Duke. ESPN owns ACC broadcast rights, so they'd probably prefer both programs to be good. Additionally, Jay Bilas isn't one to spout a party line. He says what he thinks. If Jay says that college basketball is down, he believes it. ESPN doesn't want college basketball to be down.

The poster quoted by fdd also mentioned Bill Simmons. I don't think Simmons ever had any input on ESPN's college basketball recruiting rankings, and on the slim chance he did, he definitely doesn't have it anymore, given the recent news of his pending departure (I'm surprised we haven't discussed that yet, perhaps on the Off-Topic board).

Dev11
05-14-2015, 10:10 AM

A solid 4 seed from last season loses Dez Wells and adds Robert Carter, Diamond Stone, and Rasheed Sulaimon. That sounds like a top ten team to me. They have experience and talent, and the only team from their conference that was better than they were last year, Wisconsin, lost a large percentage of their production.

Maryland should be very good next season. Let's see how they deal with the expectations.

flyingdutchdevil
05-14-2015, 11:00 AM

Maryland has the best starting five in the country, bar none. Trimble is a wonderful talent who can score with the best of them. Layman is a lanky Swiss Army Knife. Diamond Stone is the 6th best prospect in the country according to RSCI. Carter is a proven ACC player who will be more mature with a senior's body. And Sulaimon has undeniable talent. The question is whether Mark Turgeon can put it all together.

Duke95
05-14-2015, 11:37 AM

No way. They're as talented as anyone in the country.

Duvall
05-14-2015, 12:54 PM
A solid 4 seed from last season loses Dez Wells and adds Robert Carter, Diamond Stone, and Rasheed Sulaimon. That sounds like a top ten team to me.

Well, except that Maryland was really a solid 8-seed that enjoyed a lot of lucky bounces in a soft conference. They have added three new starters though, so a jump to the top ten is certainly plausible if you ignore the Turgeon factor.

Olympic Fan
05-14-2015, 12:57 PM

As the one guy on this board who is skeptical about UNC (I strongly believe they will be a second-10 team again), I sympathize with you.

But I don't agree about Maryland. Their big problem last year was lack of size down low. Adding 250-pound PF Robert Carter (who averaged 12.0 ppg and 6.3 rpb in ACC player two years ago) and 6-10 C Diamond Stone should really help there. And Rasheed fills the gap created by their one loss -- Dez Wells. They have potentially the best PG in college basketball in Melo Trimble.

Obviously, the chemistry has to come together -- and with Rasheed's history, that's a question -- but in terms of talent and depth (ad experience) they look as good as anybody on paper, They have to be in the preseason top five.

Olympic Fan
05-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Nice ESPNM summary on Indiana's prospects posted today:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/107282/looking-ahead-indiana-hoosiers

Author C.L. Brown suggests that Indiana's starting rotation could be as good as Maryland's.

To me, it looks like Indiana will be a superb perimeter team with major questions in the post -- freshman Thomas Bryant is a top-flight center prospect, but he's rated well below Chase Jeter, so it might be a bit much to ask him to be dominant (especially in his first month of a college player). I don't expect Jeter to carry the load in the post right away.

Bryant is their one real post option -- Troy Williams, a 6-7 wing, was their best rebounder and inside scorer a year ago.

But the guards -- especially Poteet and Blackman, plus Williams on the wing -- are very, VERY good.

Jarhead
05-14-2015, 01:41 PM

A solid 4 seed from last season loses Dez Wells and adds Robert Carter, Diamond Stone, and Rasheed Sulaimon. That sounds like a top ten team to me. They have experience and talent, and the only team from their conference that was better than they were last year, Wisconsin, lost a large percentage of their production.

Maryland should be very good next season. Let's see how they deal with the expectations.

I don't understand why the Terps are so highly regarded in next season's ranking speculation. It seemed to even escalate with the Suliamon transfer, but even then I don't know why. His talents aren't that great. To me, he never seemed to be in the flow with the rest of the guys on the court. Also, the Terps did so well in the B1G simply because that league was so weak last season, don't you think. I put the Terps in the same class as Carolina. They'll be perhaps a 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA Tourney next spring. Duke? They'll fight their way to a 2 seed, for sure.

wolfpack
05-14-2015, 06:15 PM
I forgot about the Robert Carter addition. I'm always hesitant with teams that don't have anyone that have ever won a game of meaning so I'm just hesitant to embrace them as a title contender.

Olympic Fan
05-14-2015, 06:54 PM
I forgot about the Robert Carter addition. I'm always hesitant with teams that don't have anyone that have ever won a game of meaning so I'm just hesitant to embrace them as a title contender.

So I assume you join me in my skepticism about UNC ... right?

And Jarhead, what's with the contempt for Sulaimon's abilities?

I know he had issues between the ears, but on the court, he was a guy who started as a freshman and averaged 11.6 points for an Elite Eight team. His game does have limitations, but in 90 college games he averaged 10 points a game and shot 39 percent on almost 300 3-point attempts. He's had a positive career assist to turnover ration of 1.8 to one. And he can play good defense when he wants to (in 2013, K called him the best on-the-ball defender on the roster).

Not saying he's the second coming, but he's a guy that was projected as a borderline first-round NBA draft pick after his freshman year. He ruined that by being a knucklehead -- and I think it's fair to question whether he'll help or hurt Maryland's team chemistry. Has he learned his lesson? I don't know ... we'll see.

But to suggest that he's not that good -- his closest similarity scores on Pomeroy compare him to 2014 James Young (a first-round draft pick), 2015 Frank Mason and 2014 Andrew Harrison. Those are good college players on very good college teams ... so was Sulaimon as a freshman.

wolfpack
05-14-2015, 09:06 PM
So I assume you join me in my skepticism about UNC ... right?

I do, they can't defend, they can't shoot, I just think this core of Paige, Johnson and Meeks are what they are a top 15 team not a top 5. Now if Paige plays like he did during his sophomore year and Justin Jackson plays the whole season like he did the last 10 games or so then I'll start to believe this team is a contender.

Olympic Fan
05-14-2015, 11:28 PM
Let's see ... Last year, Maryland was 28-7 and was ranked No. 12 in the last AP poll ... UNC was 26-12 and ranked No. 15 in he final AP poll

Maryland lost Dez Wells ... UNC lost JP Tokoto

Maryland added Diamond Stone (a top 10 freshman), Robert Carter (a third-year player who averaged 12 pts and 6 rebs as a freshman in the ACC) and Rasheed Sulaimon a forth-year college veteran who has scored more than 900 points in his career, plauong in the ACC ... UNMC has added two borderline top 100 prospects

Which one is the more viable preseason pick?

PS UNC did last one more game in the 2015 NCAA tournament -- but only because Melo Trimble suffered a concussion midway through the West Virginia game and missed most of the second half).

Dev11
05-15-2015, 10:14 AM
It's disingenuous to not discount Marcus Paige's injuries when thinking about how much UNC could be next season. He clearly was not himself this year. I also think in this era where successful teams see huge attrition, you can't knock a team for not having been there before. Duke this past season looked as poised as any team in the country in big games, and prior to the season, the guys on the team had played in very few of those types of games. If experience counted for so much, Wisconsin should have put Duke away both times they played.

MChambers
05-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Let's see ... Last year, Maryland was 28-7 and was ranked No. 12 in the last AP poll ... UNC was 26-12 and ranked No. 15 in he final AP poll

Maryland lost Dez Wells ... UNC lost JP Tokoto

Maryland added Diamond Stone (a top 10 freshman), Robert Carter (a third-year player who averaged 12 pts and 6 rebs as a freshman in the ACC) and Rasheed Sulaimon a forth-year college veteran who has scored more than 900 points in his career, plauong in the ACC ... UNMC has added two borderline top 100 prospects

Which one is the more viable preseason pick?

PS UNC did last one more game in the 2015 NCAA tournament -- but only because Melo Trimble suffered a concussion midway through the West Virginia game and missed most of the second half).
Maryland was #32 in the final Pomeroy rankings; UNC was #11. Maryland had a better won-loss record, but played a weak schedule and also benefited from winning a lot of close games (#2 in Pomeroy's "Luck" category).

I agree that Maryland added a lot in Stone, Carter, and Sulaimon, so that offsets quite a bit of the difference, although I think they'll miss Wells quite a bit. Guess I'd reluctantly rank UNC higher, but I'm not all that impressed by either team as a preseason pick.

Duvall
05-20-2015, 06:57 PM
The first ACC-A10 doubleheader in Barclays looks to be...Virginia Tech-George Washington and Boston College-Fordham on December 22. (https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/601064106939064321)

Hm. A10 may have cause to be upset about that one.

SCMatt33
05-20-2015, 08:28 PM
The first ACC-A10 doubleheader in Barclays looks to be...Virginia Tech-George Washington and Boston College-Fordham on December 22. (https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/601064106939064321)

Hm. A10 may have cause to be upset about that one.

I'm sure the A10 knew this was coming. The contract had to stipulate the quality of teams from each league. If nothing was written in the contract (i.e. must be a team from top half previous year or one out of Duke, UNC, Cuse, etc.) they knew that they would only get bottom feeders. Maybe the A10 didn't have better bargaining power. Given that the Barclays Center and the ACC both wanted this to happen, the A10 had to allow it or risk being banished back to Boardwalk Hall when their current contract expires. Most people assumed that they were at least getting a bone thrown to them in the form of a top level team in the deal, but apparently not. Also, to be fair, it's not the A10 is throwing Dayton and VCU out there. It's Fordham and GW, though GW was decent last year.

UtahStateOutsider
05-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Guess the rumors I had heard were true.

Tripping William
05-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Rod Tueller's bringing a team to Cameron? Wait, I think I'm showing my age .....

gam7
05-26-2015, 08:20 PM

Props to you and your source. Thanksgiving Sunday. Kind of a strange opponent. Link:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2554602-155/utah-state-basketball-aggies-to-play

duke2x
05-26-2015, 08:26 PM
11/29 is the date. It's a Sunday on ESPN-U. Link (http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/story/utah-state-to-play-national-champion-duke-on-novem/15526/2bvLBUCuRkqqK_dbeGj4uQ)

UtahStateOutsider
05-26-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm glad to know I can trust the source. It is a very odd date but I'm very excited for Utah State to get to play Duke & Coach K. I'm hopeful USU will finish no worse than third in the Mountain West so it's not a bad game for Duke either, IMO.

neemizzle
05-27-2015, 03:53 AM
It's disingenuous to not discount Marcus Paige's injuries when thinking about how much UNC could be next season. He clearly was not himself this year. I also think in this era where successful teams see huge attrition, you can't knock a team for not having been there before. Duke this past season looked as poised as any team in the country in big games, and prior to the season, the guys on the team had played in very few of those types of games. If experience counted for so much, Wisconsin should have put Duke away both times they played.

That's the problem I have with Paige, as I have from day one when he stepped on the court. We've heard this talk of "him not being himself" for 3 years now. He's either been okay, a second half player, and this year his plantar in his foot, regardless of how he's been, he arguably hasn't been "himself" his entire UNC career, right?

At least that's what I've gathered. Don't get me wrong, the kid is a solid talent and a smart guy, but it's his senior year this year right? It's time to really step up and do something. Tokoto left because he wasn't developing under Roy, and McAdoo left a year after he would have been a legit first rounder and then the year he leaves, he rides the pine in the league (not to mention played the D-League for the majority of it). These UNC guys aren't really developing the way their fans want them to (and it's quite hilarious.)

Has anyone else heard about the possible Nova game in December? How good will they be this year?

Duvall
06-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Duke-Utah in MSG, December 19. (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060415aab.html)

Tripping William
06-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Duke-Utah in MSG, December 19. (http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060415aab.html)

Cool. Combined with the visit by Utah St., does this put Duke in the running for the Old Oquirrh Bucket (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Oquirrh_Bucket)?

Troublemaker
06-05-2015, 08:38 AM

Oh man, that's going to be a tough game. Utah basically only lost Delon Wright, and Brandon Taylor can play PG.

Their projected starting lineup of

PG - Sr Taylor
W - Sr Tucker
W - Sr Loveridge
PF - So Chapman
C - So Poetl

will be a problem to deal with.

Still an outstanding shooting team with quickness. Still an NBA lottery pick at center.

pfrduke
06-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Updated schedule:

Nov. 13 - Bryant @ Duke (2k Sports home game)
Nov. 14/15 - Radford (prob.) @ Duke (2k Sports home game)
Nov. 17 - Duke v. Kentucky in Chicago
Nov. 29 - Utah State @ Duke
Dec. 2 - Indiana @ Duke (ACC/B1G)
Dec. 19 - Duke v. Utah in MSG

It sounds like there's maybe a Georgia Southern matchup on Dec. 15 in Cameron. So that's 9 games right there. There will be a couple close-to-New Year's home games in the mix, as there always are, so that would be 11. Leaves 2 non-conference games to be scheduled, one of which could be a rematch with St. John's.

I suspect the Utah game means that a Villanova matchup in NYC is off the table, but we'll see.

duke2x
08-12-2015, 02:57 PM
1/18 Syracuse
1/25 @Miami
2/8 Louisville

That gives us:
4-5 ACC games + bye
Syracuse
0-1 ACC game (Saturday)
@Miami
2-3 ACC games
Louisville
0-1 ACC game
probably at UNC
3-4 ACC games
UNC, probably the Saturday before the ACC-T.

SCMatt33
08-12-2015, 04:02 PM
1/18 Syracuse
1/25 @Miami
2/8 Louisville

That gives us:
4-5 ACC games + bye
Syracuse
0-1 ACC game (Saturday)
@Miami
2-3 ACC games
Louisville
0-1 ACC game
probably at UNC
3-4 ACC games
UNC, probably the Saturday before the ACC-T.

Here is the link to the full slate for those interested. (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/108333/full-big-monday-slate-released-kansas-unc-highlight-the-list) Notably, every single ACC game features either Duke (3 times), UNC (3 times) or UVA (2 times), though never against each other. Miami, Syracuse and Louisville also have 2 appearances, while NC State and Florida State get 1 each.

As for Duke's part of the schedule, I like getting 2 out of the three at home as these games are typically on a short turnaround from a Saturday game and being at home for that (even if there was a road game 2 days before) is better than being on the road IMO. UNC has the opposite, but they do get their home game on the last week of the season, meaning that they will get 4 days rest before the game at Cameron. Hopefully, Duke gets a Tuesday game that week so there's not too much of a rest disparity. It will also be interesting to see where Duke's bye falls. With an odd number of teams, there will be one bye during each week and 1 during each weekend. Knowing that there is no late non-conference game this year, Duke will definitely get a full week off at some point, though I suppose it's possible that it will fall on a weekend between a Wednesday and a Monday game to avoid a 3 games in 6 days stretch. Either way, getting excited to see dates and times as that means basketball is getting ever closer!

Furniture
08-13-2015, 11:54 PM

gurufrisbee
08-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Do we have any idea when the full schedule is out?

pfrduke
08-24-2015, 12:44 AM
Do we have any idea when the full schedule is out?

It historically was the third Friday in August, but in recent years has slipped to as late as the first week of September. So, in other words, should be very soon.

TerpsInACC
08-28-2015, 05:06 PM
It is a shame that my two favorite teams are not playing in the 2015 ACC-Big Ten Challenge. It would have had record ratings for my Maryland Terrapins to invade Cameron to take on Duke. Last year's national champions vs. this year's preseason #1 plus we have Rasheed. I respect Coach K but he should pushed for this game for the fans. by the way, my third favorite team = the Tar Heels of North Carolina.

TruBlu
08-28-2015, 06:30 PM
It is a shame that my two favorite teams are not playing in the 2015 ACC-Big Ten Challenge. It would have had record ratings for my Maryland Terrapins to invade Cameron to take on Duke. Last year's national champions vs. this year's preseason #1 plus we have Rasheed. I respect Coach K but he should pushed for this game for the fans. by the way, my third favorite team = the Tar Heels of North Carolina.

A batting average of .333 would get you on the All-Star team in baseball. (Just to make sure everyone understands, The Terps and heels are the strikeouts.):)

Eternal Outlaw
08-28-2015, 08:36 PM

For the fans? I think a lot of us fans believe by choosing to leave the ACC, Maryland made it clear they valued $$$ over everything else including at least one meeting a year vs Duke. I have no desire to ever see them in Cameron again because that's them getting their cake and eating it too.

Olympic Fan
08-28-2015, 09:55 PM
For the fans? I think a lot of us fans believe by choosing to leave the ACC, Maryland made it clear they valued $$$ over everything else including at least one meeting a year vs Duke. I have no desire to ever see them in Cameron again because that's them getting their cake and eating it too.

As much as I am glad to see Maryland gone and never want them back in the ACC -- or playing against Duke in Cameron or anywhere else -- I don't blame the Terp fans for the stupid and greedy decision by a handful of carpetbagger administrators who took this action without the support of the great majority of Maryland fans. It was done in secret by men who lied both to the ACC and their own fan base.

devildeac
08-28-2015, 09:57 PM
A batting average of .333 would get you on the All-Star team in baseball. (Just to make sure everyone understands, The Terps and heels are the strikeouts.):)

I dunno. Even Meat Loaf did better than that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

Newton_14
08-28-2015, 11:04 PM

Dude, they must have a very potent form of Crack in your neighborhood! Your favorite team is Maryland, your second favorite team is Duke, and your 3rd favorite team is Unc-Cheat???????

There are no words.........

I love me some Big 10 Football! Favorite team is Michigan and second favorite is Ohio St! I love me some Major League Baseball! Favorite team is Boston Red Sox and second favorite is New York Yankees! I love me some NFL Football! My favorite team is the Dallas Cowboys and my second favorite is Washington Redskins!!!

On a serious note, not only would Coach K, NOT push for that game, he would insist that it never happen. K is loyal as loyal comes to the ACC and he views Maryland as the enemy now for them reneging on the commitment they made to not leave the ACC, and hurting the conference in the process, especially being a Charter Member. He will be doing Maryland no favors on any level.

There is no way a Maryland team trots through that tunnel again in CIS, as long as K has a say in the matter. Not happening.

brevity
08-28-2015, 11:10 PM
I dunno. Even Meat Loaf did better than that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

"Meat Loaf"? His name is Robert Paulsen.

accfanfrom1970
08-29-2015, 12:55 AM

Marvin Aday

JohnJ
08-29-2015, 12:48 PM

Way too subtle Fight Club reference. I like it!

Eternal Outlaw
08-29-2015, 03:13 PM
As much as I am glad to see Maryland gone and never want them back in the ACC -- or playing against Duke in Cameron or anywhere else -- I don't blame the Terp fans for the stupid and greedy decision by a handful of carpetbagger administrators who took this action without the support of the great majority of Maryland fans. It was done in secret by men who lied both to the ACC and their own fan base.

I don't believe the Terp fans have anything to complain about.

One, they were big time complainers of how they were lower class citizens in the ACC. Not saying that played a huge affect on the administration to make the move but I have a hard time to sympathize when it seems they got what they wanted which was out from under Duke/UNC shadow that held them down.

Two, their fans created a terrible environment for road games. Again I wouldn't say this had an affect for the decision to move but it just points again to a bad attitude and lack of respect.

Top down the attitude in that place doesn't seem good. It's easy for the fans to act like victims now that it has happened. But with the attitude they've shown over the years, can we really be so sure they wouldn't have done the same thing if they had the choice? I know I'm not, I think most of them would have either in the moment or as soon as they were 'screwed again' by Duke or UNC. My brother graduated from Wisconsin, what do you think some of the new fellow conference fans were telling him after the title game with those calls? That's what happens when you play Duke and they are glad to be out.

TerpsInACC
08-30-2015, 12:48 AM
It is nice to see that at least one Duke fan, "Olympic Fan" understands what I wrote above. Yes, the Maryland athletic department made some dumb financial decisions and yes we have some immature students at the games, but it is us lifetime ACC fans up here in College Park that get screwed. With that said, Duke vs. Maryland in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge would have had the highest ratings in college basketball until at least mid-February 2016. I would love for Notre Dame to go to the Big Ten where they belong and Maryland back in the ACC but the moderator here ended my thread on that topic. Good luck but I am sure Duke will have another great team thanks to Coach K.

Olympic Fan
09-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Just wanted to revive this thread because there was an article today by Jeff Goodman on ESPN, ranking the top 40 games for the coming season. It's an Insider article, so I can't link it, but I did note that four of the top 10 games on the list involved Duke -- including No. 1 Duke-Kentucky ... No. 3 UNC at Duke ... No. 7 Indiana at Duke and No. 10 Duke at UNC. Virginia at Duke made the list at No. 20 and Duke at Louisville was at No. 22.

Pretty impressive lineup.

gam7
09-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Just wanted to revive this thread because there was an article today by Jeff Goodman on ESPN, ranking the top 40 games for the coming season. It's an Insider article, so I can't link it, but I did note that four of the top 10 games on the list involved Duke -- including No. 1 Duke-Kentucky ... No. 3 UNC at Duke ... No. 7 Indiana at Duke and No. 10 Duke at UNC. Virginia at Duke made the list at No. 20 and Duke at Louisville was at No. 22.

On Duke-UK, you won't find a better match-up of programs, but I give it a 0.37% chance that that game is in the conversation for best game of the 2015-16 regular season at the end of the season, given the inexperience of both teams, the early season date, and adjustment by teams and refs to the new rules.

flyingdutchdevil
09-24-2015, 04:06 PM

OF - why can't you link it? If you don't have Insider, you can still access the URL and the first paragraph, but not the information. I understand that we can't divulge into from premium sites, but we also can't link to the page? Is that correct. Seems very strange to me.