PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast - NATIONAL CHAMPS!

blazindw
04-07-2015, 11:55 PM
The 22nd episode of the DBR podcast (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/podcast-22-47-national-champs) is, of course, the most special one to date. This was recorded earlier this morning and we wax poetic about our national champion basketball team! Cameron the Dog features in the middle of this one.

Check it out here, and as always, you can subscribe to us through iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2), Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details), and Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast). Our podcast is undefeated in the NCAA tournament!

0:13 Intros
1:23 Sam breaks down what it was like in Indy
5:35 Grayson Allen is a hero
11:00 Tyus Stones love fest
16:30 Jason praises Matt Jones and Amile Jefferson’s defense
17:35 Cameron goes nuts over a squirrel and our defense
20:35 Donald shows Quinn Cook some love
22:50 Sam saw Nolan Smith’s proud father look
23:29 Sam gives praise to Justise and our defense
24:30 Jason and Sam break down Jah’s performance
27:38 Coach K’s legacy and his coaching during the title game
35:35 We rake Bo Ryan over the coals
45:00 Player of the Game: Grayson Allen
51:45 Parting shots
55:35 Sam tells everyone to go to a Final Four at least once
57:35 More podcasts coming! Sign off

pfrduke
04-07-2015, 11:57 PM
Listened to this earlier today (no more jinx fears) - well done, especially by the dog.

subzero02
04-08-2015, 12:05 AM
My black lab is named Cameron, she'll be 9 in May.

pfrduke
04-08-2015, 12:16 AM
My black lab is named Cameron, she'll be 9 in May.

Like you and Jason, my dog (whose picture you can see above) is a Cameron. She'll be 10 in a week.

JasonEvans
04-08-2015, 10:20 AM

One of my favorite pics of Cameron, when my sons found an old, unused baby diaper and cruelly put it on the dog. He was not happy.

This is how Cam spends most of his time, sleeping on our beds... 5001

And playing with his tennis balls...5002

-Jason "...and barking at squirrels, which he does excessively in the latest podcast" Evans

JasonEvans
04-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Question for the masses... what topics should we be talking about now that the season is over?

Kids (Duke and non-Duke) declaring for the NBA Draft?
Dukies in the NBA?
Controversy over officiating in national title game?
Top moments from the year and other reflections?
Media reaction to the Duke national title?

Which of those interest you and/or what else should we cover?

-Jason "the people's podcast..." Evans

Billy Dat
04-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Question for the masses... what topics should we be talking about now that the season is over?

Dukies in the NBA?

First off, props to Cameron for his ongoing barking when the topic of our defense came up. That was no squirrel, that was the smartest basketball dog since Air Bud making sure everyone knows why we won the title.

As for post-championship topics, I think you should follow the news:

-Recruiting
This is a huge off-season topic. If Tyus leaves, we've only got 7 scholarship players so you know K and staff are going to be busy trying to nab any of the undeclared seniors or checking out the transfer market. Finding a solid professional guest(s) or one of the DBR regulars who follow recruiting closely would be great.

-Summer activities
Guys on the team playing on Team USA squads or in other events, K Academy, etc.

-Duke in the NBA (games)
This is always one of my favorite topics so I'd love to see it covered. You could not only reflect on the regular season as it comes to a close in a few weeks, but we'll have a bunch of guys in the playoffs...Kyrie, Dunleavy, Mason (maybe), JJ, Austin, Elton

-Duke in the NBA (draft and summer league)
The playoffs lead right to the draft and to summer league, plus all the free agency moves. We will obviously have a lot of guys being drafted, and a lot of guys playing summer league. There will also be a Team USA gathering in Vegas as summer league is happening which is always ripe for material with K, our staff, and Kyrie certainly being involved

-Conference News and Notes
You could pump up the offseason content by discussing anything important happening around the ACC

-Duke Alumni
You could touch on anything of relevance happening with all of the branches of the K tree - Collins, Wojo, Dawkins, Amaker, Hurley - it's getting to be quite a list

Skitzle
04-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Dukies in the NBA?

Draft and Recruiting are top on the list.
Summer Activities and Rosterbation (as I like to call it) (Am I a wanker for saying that? Pun not intended)
Around the ACC and NBA and Basketball would be third on my list

I've had enough about blown calls.

The medias take bout the championship would be cool, but only if there were any legitimate insights.

Billy Dat
04-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Rosterbation

Ha, certainly a full hour devoted to predictions about the rotation and minutes allotment would be of huge appeal to a focused but passionate minority!

Bottom line, I think your move up the iTunes charts shows that you've got something good here and it's still a bit of an audience market share grab right now, the medium is still in its infancy.

As a devoted listener to many pods, the one thing I count on is frequency - give me something to keep downloading and listening to...which is why I'd advise against taking any kind of extended break.

wilson
04-09-2015, 10:53 AM
First of all, great job on the podcasts...I really enjoyed listening to the Championship edition yesterday on the way to/from work.

I would really like to see (well, hear) a retrospective on the championship that is centered upon subtle or less-noticed "turning point" moments, whether those moments came within the game (e.g. the insertion of Amile for defensive purposes) or within the season's overall rhythms. I'm inspired by the following article, which highlights a couple of moments from earlier in the season that, in retrospect, portended some of the key successes during the title game:
http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/acc_basketball/strelow-seemingly-unimportant-decisions-can-turn-into-championship-producing-moments/article_c80c5952-de2e-11e4-8ca5-b35e5b05ae10.html
One of those moments was a driving layup attempt by Grayson during the Utah Sweet 16 game. That shot was blocked, but the play served as a template/catalyst for Grayson's heroics vs. Wisconsin.
The second moment highlighted in the article is Marshall Plumlee's assist to Grayson for the three which kick-started the rally during the title game. "Plumlee recorded three assists in Duke's season-opening rout of Presbyterian and only eight more in the next 37 games," writes the article's author, but "he had the biggest assist in Monday's national final."
This kind of analysis, to me, bespeaks some of the things that K (and all of us) celebrate about the Duke program...celebrating special individual moments, and valuing contributions that don't necessarily feature prominently in highlight reels or box scores. I really like this article (and encourage everyone to read it), and I think it's a neat, more unconventional premise for a podcast that could make for some cool in-depth examination of the many unseen moments that helped build toward this championship.