PDA

View Full Version : Duke v. Wiscy MVP

pfrduke
04-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Pick your winner.

CR9
04-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Gonna go off the grid and say Amile. His defense on 3 different players (Hayes, Dekker, Kaminsky) was outstanding.

FerryFor50
04-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Tyus, but Grayson's points were nearly as important.

Acymetric
04-07-2015, 12:28 AM
Grayson, Tyus played great but 4 extra points on the box score can't account for the way Grayson kept us in the game when we needed it. Gutsy performance from a guy who was at best a role player most of the year (with a few big games over the course).

Amile definitely held down the interior for us maybe as well as he has all year and we needed it.

gurufrisbee
04-07-2015, 12:28 AM
Can't do it. Those two each deserve it.

CDu
04-07-2015, 12:29 AM
On championship night, I refuse to vote. I want to give it to the team. Yes, there were brilliant individual performances, but pretty much everyone had a big hand in this win. The team defense down the stretch was stifling.

wilson
"Someone else," because, my goodness, this TEAM.

mgtr
Grayson, since we expect Tyus to bring it. Unfair, but that is life!

dukelilsis
04-07-2015, 12:33 AM
Grayson!

bjornolf
04-07-2015, 12:33 AM
To me, Tyus is MVP, Grayson is MOTM.

Newton_14
04-07-2015, 12:36 AM
I honestly went back and forth in agony on this, the most important MOTM of the season. I am such a huge Grayson Allen fan, and I am such an admirer of Tyus Jones' game. I feel the way that K felt when he said "Grayson righted the ship and got us back on keel, but Tyus Jones....took over down the stretch". After all that agony I reasoned that without Grayson's heroics (he just trumped Dunleavy folks) there is no opportunity for Tyus to take us home. With that I voted for Grayson. 16 tough as nails points over Dekker, over Kamisky, over everybody they put on the kid. Money from the line. Drained a very Winslow-esque momentum changing 3.

Grayson by a hair over Tyus.

Shout out to Amile for all the dirty work, he even led a fast break with an assist to Grayson. Mad defense on big Frank, mad rebounding.
Shout out to Winslow for tough defense and tough rebounding and timely assists and buckets.
Shout out to Matt Jones for killer defense on Dekker all game long. Shut the dude down on the perimeter.
Shout out to Quinn for tough defense and hanging in there on a night when effective defense was being played on him. They never gave him a clean look.
Plumdawg hung in there and helped hold down the fort in the critical last 4 minutes of half 1.
Jahlil was frustrated and a little nervous but he had two key rebounds and two huge buckets after the final TV timeout.

All 8 contributed and together they got this done. One of my favorite Duke Blue Devil Teams of all time! Love those kids!

Congrats 2014-15 Duke Blue Devils- You are The Men Of The Season Long Match!

gcashwell
04-07-2015, 12:36 AM
I didn't vote, but without Grayson, tyus' late heroics don't matter.

It was a team win!

pfrduke
04-07-2015, 12:39 AM
I voted Tyus. And did the Sam Cassell dance for him. He took some objectively terrible shots down the stretch, but made them all and gave us all the margin we needed. Grayson kept us in the game when it was looking grim, but Tyus Jones took care of closing time. And thank goodness.

cspan37421
04-07-2015, 12:42 AM
I didn't vote, but without Grayson, tyus' late heroics don't matter.

It was a team win!

Yes yes.

But if you have to pick one, I'd say that without Grayson's heroics, Tyus' contributions would just make it a close loss. Same thing I guess. :)

superdave
04-07-2015, 12:45 AM
I went Tyus. His floater that dropped plus the FT was huge. His pull up 3 was big. His free throws were perfect. He carried us for three stretches that come to mind.

Grayson was huge and just has so much desire. Hard not to vote for him. His biggest play was that tipped pass at midcourt. He just exuded energy and it caught on.

Special mentions to Amile and Matt for wearing the jerseys of a couple of Wisco guys tonight. They fought like crazy for position and got stops.

And finally the MVP of this team is Quinn. He was the piper all season. Those guys think of him in reverent terms and that is really cool.

devildeac
04-07-2015, 12:53 AM
Needed to add K for great coaching as he rolled with Greyson and Amile in the 2nd half.

westwall
04-07-2015, 01:05 AM
I reasoned that without Grayson's heroics (he just trumped Dunleavy folks) there is no opportunity for Tyus to take us home. With that I voted for Grayson. Grayson by a hair over Tyus.

I said the same in another thread and thus have voted for Grayson, the game-changer.

wsb3
04-07-2015, 01:09 AM
Have to go with Grayson. As Coach K said, "We were dead in the water."

Jim3k
04-07-2015, 01:22 AM
I go with Amile. Given the foul trouble that Justise and Jah were dealing with and who were forced to sit, their replacement Amile was more than just outstanding. He fought Kaminsky to a draw. Without that, nobody's offensive heroics would have mattered.

I loved what Grayson did to start the comeback and what Tyus did at the end. But do we go on a 29-15 run (if I heard it right) to end the game without Amile's defense in the post? He's quicker than Jah and could extend where Jah could not. He's 6'9" himself, is really long, rebounds and blocks out well. And his energy level tonight was the best I've seen from him in a while. Big Frank could not really do what Big Frank normally does. And that runout was fun to watch--channeled Justise I think.

gwlaw99
04-07-2015, 01:27 AM
I had to go with Grayson. We're down by 9 and it's getting ugly. Grayson brings us back from the dead. Thus brings it home, but without Grayson, there is no comeback.

COYS
04-07-2015, 01:27 AM
My mobile browser won't let me vote, but if the could I'd vote for Tyus. That being said, I don't want Grayson to be the only bench player to get a nod. Amile was a beast all game on defense. Blocks, rebounds, that nice reverse layup, and then his time guarding Frank the Tank at the end of the game -- he did all the dirty work. Grayson got buckets and Amile got stops. He took his diminished role in stride and came out and did exactly what the team needed at the moment when the team needed it most. Tyus is still my MOTM, but Amile and Grayson made vastly different but equally huge contributions.

COYS
04-07-2015, 01:30 AM
My mobile browser won't let me vote, but if the could I'd vote for Tyus. That being said, I don't want Grayson to be the only bench player to get a nod. Amile was a beast all game on defense. Blocks, rebounds, that nice reverse layup, and then his time guarding Frank the Tank at the end of the game -- he did all the dirty work. Grayson got buckets and Amile got stops. He took his diminished role in stride and came out and did exactly what the team needed at the moment when the team needed it most. Tyus is still my MOTM, but Amile and Grayson made vastly different but equally huge contributions.

To back up my point, Amile had the highest plus minus on the team, with +11. I know plus minus isn't everything, but dang, that's amazing.

Wander
04-07-2015, 01:46 AM
These threads have gotten too cute this season with not listing everyone - Jefferson isn't my vote but he deserves to be listed, as did Quinn Cook in one of the earlier polls. I also second bjornolf's note that there's a difference between best player, MVP, and MOTM.

DU82
04-07-2015, 02:11 AM
Grayson saved us when we were down, Tyus won it.

BluDvlsN1
04-07-2015, 02:46 AM
For me, it's not possible to identify a single player who outperformed all others that was decisive in the game.

Without T. Stones contributions we would not have been close enough for Grayson to make a difference.
Without Grayson's igniting performance we would not have been in position for Jah to make his critical plays.
Without Matt Jones and Amile's defense aiding our ability to get stops, none of the rest would matter.
Without Coach K, we're probably not having this conversation.

And does it really matter?...
Team Game
Team Win

National Champs!

Edouble
04-07-2015, 04:29 AM
It was not only the number of points that Grayson scored, and their numerical affect on the scoreboard.

It was the manner and the zest with which he scored said points.

He YELLED at the bench. He SCREAMED at Duke. He woke our team from the dead.

I don't know why it was his night to do it. On another night, it could have been Quinn, or Justise, or Oakafor, or anyone, but tonight the job fell the the absolute unlikeliest of heroes. Indeed, young Grayson righted Duke's ship!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-07-2015, 06:54 AM
I split my vote. Grayson here and Tyus on the DBR poll!

jv001
04-07-2015, 07:07 AM
I finally picked Grayson over Tyus but would not have been wrong with either. But huge shout outs for Amile and MPIII for their hard work as well. Then there was Jahlil making big plays at the end, Quinn letting the game come to him and not forcing things. Justise his usual warrior self playing hard despite foul trouble. Matt playing tough defense on Deker. As Coach K said, "eight is enough", GoDuke!

Saratoga2
04-07-2015, 07:52 AM
I was considering Tyus Allen but Grayson Jones was just a tad better.

duke blue brewcrew
04-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Grayson Allen get's my vote. We all know what Tyus did coming down the stretch. As my buddy texted me during the game, his nickname should be Tyus "Big Stones" Jones. That said, Jones' late game heroics were for nothing without the incredible heroics of Grayson. When Duke needed it most, they were down & nearly out in the game, the kid attacked the rim like it stole something from him and was Charlie Hustle on every loose ball. I loved how Duke came together as a TEAM, and adjusted to adversity. GO DUKE! NATIONAL CHAMPS! ONE FOR THE THUMB BABY!

MCFinARL
04-07-2015, 12:11 PM
On championship night, I refuse to vote. I want to give it to the team. Yes, there were brilliant individual performances, but pretty much everyone had a big hand in this win. The team defense down the stretch was stifling.

Agree with this. I voted for Grayson because the timing of his contributions was so key, but I wanted there to be an option for "Everyone." Everyone made significant contributions to this championship.

Neals384
04-07-2015, 01:24 PM
To back up my point, Amile had the highest plus minus on the team, with +11. I know plus minus isn't everything, but dang, that's amazing.

+15!