PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast - On To The National Championship!

blazindw
04-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Well, we're in the national championship! The podcast team got together this morning to record the latest episode (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-21-45-final-four-recap-and-on-to-national-championship) for your listening pleasure! We recap the big victory over MSU and to preview the showdown with Wisconsin for all the cookies in the jar. Just in time for you to listen this evening or tomorrow morning as you prepare for the big game.

Timestamps are below. As always, check us out on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2), Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details), and Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast) and leave reviews to let us know how we're doing!

0:13 Intros
0:48 Sam and Donald make DBR Podcast history
1:20 Recap Michigan State game
15:30 Jason recounts Trice’s “jewels"
17:05 Wisconsin takes down “unbeatable” Kentucky; Stay classy, Kentucky
22:15 Stay classy, Kentucky
31:11 We break down the national championship game - Duke vs. Wisconsin
47:43 Player of the game nods; lot of shoutouts
52:27 We discuss Lyles’ elbow no-call
55:45 Jahlil’s hands make basketballs look like grapefruits
56:35 Cool video of Wisconsin’s celebration at their team hotel
57:51 Kentucky tears taste delicious
58:40 Championship game score predictions
1:00:00 Sam’s going to the ‘ship!
1:01:41 351 teams in D-1, we’re one of 2 left
1:03:00 sign off

JasonEvans
04-05-2015, 09:57 PM
If you have not seen it, here is the image (https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/584501850520612864) of Jah's hands that I was talking about. Insane!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CByRToWVIAIzsk-.png

-Jason "listen to this podcast quick... it will be dated at 9pm tomorrow night!" Evans

Newton_14
04-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys! I hope to listen to it prior to the game tomorrow night.

A couple of comments on two of the topics.

Trice Jewels- After seeing how he did not recover in the normal timeframe, and the ensuing trip to the locker room, I got seriously worried for the young man. During High School we were playing in an Easter Holiday Tournament somewhere south of Raleigh. My memory is fuzzy on the host school. Anyway, in our opening game, our catcher suffered a serious injury in that "area". The pitcher threw a curveball and it hit the back of the plate, then bounced at a weird angle, catching him directly in the jewels from the bottom up, missing his protective cup. We thought the guy was dying. They had to call the ambulance and cart him to it. Dude could not stand on his own two feet let alone walk. The paramedic told him he needed him to check to see if both were still there as the fear was one or both had been pushed up inside him. In all my life of sports that was by far the worst groin injury I saw. He was done for the 3 day tourney and was unable to play for a full week. I knew Trice was not as bad obviously, but on the replay I saw where the ball had bounced straight up into him in a similar manner, and recovery was taking too long. Surprised he managed to stay upright and continue for the one offensive and defensive possession before succumbing and going out. Scary injury.

The uncalled karate chop by Lyles- I am sorry but that was the worst no call of the year in games I saw. It is flatout ridiculous that was not called a Flagrant 1. Every single replay showed clearly it was an intentional shot to the face. None of those 3 ref's should be allowed to do the Title Game in my opinion. I would love to know what excuse they came up with to not call that. It does not matter that it was late in a National Semi-Final game. It was so egregious, you could not let it go, yet they did. That call, the charging call on Hayes, and the charging call that took away the 3 were horrible calls. Thankfully Wisconsin overcame them, but after the no call on Lyles, I was starting to convince myself the fix was in and the goal was to ensure Duke-Kentucky on Monday Night. I loved what Charles Barkley said about it after the game. That was hilarious.

Dev11
04-06-2015, 05:34 AM
I'll be totally honest, seeing one of the voices I talk to every week online live in person was a trippy experience. Thanks for having me over, DW.

Skitzle
04-06-2015, 06:16 AM
"Duke is a team that takes the ball to the hole" -Jason Evans - 10:14

So much for live by the 3, die by the 3 right?

Skitzle
04-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Which one of you was it that constantly gave Nolan Smith credit for Cooks growth in leadership this season. It was always an assumption on your part. Well enjoy the facts:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article17464481.html

blazindw
04-06-2015, 10:46 AM
I'll be totally honest, seeing one of the voices I talk to every week online live in person was a trippy experience. Thanks for having me over, DW.

We were bound to meet one of these days. Great having you over. Next time I'll have the internet microphone set up!

Which one of you was it that constantly gave Nolan Smith credit for Cooks growth in leadership this season. It was always an assumption on your part. Well enjoy the facts:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article17464481.html

That's Sam who normally points that out, although we forgot to give him his normal shoutout. So, just so we can keep up...SHOUTOUT TO NDOTSMITTY! I know he's in Indy, so Sam your task is to get a picture with the man!

JasonEvans
04-06-2015, 12:28 PM
The uncalled karate chop by Lyles[/B]- I am sorry but that was the worst no call of the year in games I saw. It is flatout ridiculous that was not called a Flagrant 1. Every single replay showed clearly it was an intentional shot to the face. None of those 3 ref's should be allowed to do the Title Game in my opinion. I would love to know what excuse they came up with to not call that. It does not matter that it was late in a National Semi-Final game. It was so egregious, you could not let it go, yet they did. That call, the charging call on Hayes, and the charging call that took away the 3 were horrible calls. Thankfully Wisconsin overcame them, but after the no call on Lyles, I was starting to convince myself the fix was in and the goal was to ensure Duke-Kentucky on Monday Night. I loved what Charles Barkley said about it after the game. That was hilarious.

I didn't hear where Sir Charles said... someone clue me in!

Also, as I noted on the podcast, moments after the absurd no-call on the whack in the face, the refs game one back to Wisconsin with Hayes' post-shot-clock putback. No way that shot beat the clock, not even close, in my opinion. Those were some key points for Wisconsin.

-Jason "I do agree that the fix was in! Kentucky gets all the calls! ;) " Evans

Newton_14
04-06-2015, 12:50 PM
I didn't hear where Sir Charles said... someone clue me in!

Also, as I noted on the podcast, moments after the absurd no-call on the whack in the face, the refs game one back to Wisconsin with Hayes' post-shot-clock putback. No way that shot beat the clock, not even close, in my opinion. Those were some key points for Wisconsin.

-Jason "I do agree that the fix was in! Kentucky gets all the calls! ;) " Evans

After the game Charles said "Hey Kenny, I would have loved to have played in that game cause you could smack the hell out of someone and not get called for it"

Dev11
04-06-2015, 02:19 PM

Basking in the glory of my own wild guesses. Thanks for the link.

If you were watching Sportscenter a little bit ago and saw the canned staredown between a blond Wisconsin fan and a short Duke fan, that was me. She was really intimidated.

Henderson
04-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Another good podcast from you guys. Congrats. The pronunciation of player names is tricky, and I enjoyed the reasoned optimism. It was a good pump-up for tonight. Thanks again for doing these.

Billy Dat
04-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Jason's repeated use of "curb stomped!" kept flashing me back to "American History X" and sent chills down my spine. I enjoyed the particular relish with which he used the term, and have particularly enjoyed when this Mr. Hyde side shows itself on the pod. I think you guys need to find audio of the Crazies chanting "the beast is outta the cage" for Matt Christensen and drop it in when Jason starts going on one of these impassioned jags. May we figuratively curb stomp the Badgers tonight!!!!

theschwartz
04-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Another great podcast, guys! Just one minor point: someone mentioned that all the Kentucky guys took off after the buzzer and only Calipari stuck around to shake hands. All the Kentucky freshmen went through the handshake line (Towns, Booker, Ulis, and Lyles). Towns especially seemed like a good dude and very congratulatory of the Wisconsin players & coaches. You could see WCS entering the tunnel as this was happening. Not a Kentucky fan by any means, but just didn't want to paint the entire team with the same negative brush.

Newton_14
04-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Another great podcast, guys! Just one minor point: someone mentioned that all the Kentucky guys took off after the buzzer and only Calipari stuck around to shake hands. All the Kentucky freshmen went through the handshake line (Towns, Booker, Ulis, and Lyles). Towns especially seemed like a good dude and very congratulatory of the Wisconsin players & coaches. You could see WCS entering the tunnel as this was happening. Not a Kentucky fan by any means, but just didn't want to paint the entire team with the same negative brush.
Glad you brought this up. I listened to the podcast today and caught that too. I hate Kentucky as much as the next guy, but we do need to be fair. Watching on TV I saw the UK Frosh shaking hands, which was good to see. They panned to the tunnel where WCK was already far from the court. Now he stated that he wanted to shake hands but there were too many people on the court, which like I said in the other thread, that possibly meant the Wisc on court celebration lasted too long for him so he bolted. I can halfway understand that, but hey, the freshmen politely waited for it to end and then did their duty graciously. No reason the upperclassmen couldn't have done that.

blazindw
04-07-2015, 02:48 AM
The DBR Podcast is undefeated in the NCAA Tournament! New episode will be recorded in the morning...celebrate this one, Blue Devils!!