PDA

View Full Version : 2015-2016 Duke Hate

slower
04-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Even among the haters this year, there seems to have been a reluctance to hate Jah, Tyus and Justise TOO much (although Justise has done a few things to fan the flames).

But among my Tarhole acquaintances, the Grayson-hate has already reached near-hysterical levels. As somebody in another thread posted, he and Luke may achieve "the most hated backcourt of all time" status (especially if Luke exhibits anywhere near the self-confidence of Grayson), for the usual and obvious reasons.

Duke95
04-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Hating is what UNC fans do. They'll have more time to do it after their school gets a postseason ban as well.

RCDevil
04-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Even among the haters this year, there seems to have been a reluctance to hate Jah, Tyus and Justise TOO much (although Justise has done a few things to fan the flames).

But among my Tar Heel acquaintances, the Grayson-hate has already reached near-hysterical levels. As somebody in another thread posted, he and Luke may achieve "the most hated backcourt of all time" status (especially if Luke exhibits anywhere near the self-confidence of Grayson), for the usual and obvious reasons.

Skin color has a massive amount to do with this, whether they say it or not.

JNort
04-05-2015, 12:27 PM
O they hate Cook and Rasheed very very much. Plumlee as well just cause we have had one on the team for so long

rocketeli
04-05-2015, 05:56 PM
I feel like there's something they both share, that allows people to express these feelings...but I'm not sure what it is...I feel like it's staring me in the face, though...oh well, maybe it will occur to me later.

slower
04-05-2015, 06:13 PM
I really didn't start this thread with the intention of creating a referendum on racism/reverse racism. I was just somewhat surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that people had already started hating Grayson so much. But...haters gonna hate (and they're gonna be pretty predictable about it).

bob blue devil
04-05-2015, 06:54 PM
I really didn't start this thread with the intention of creating a referendum on racism/reverse racism. I was just somewhat surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that people had already started hating Grayson so much. But...haters gonna hate (and they're gonna be pretty predictable about it).

to be fair, i wasn't in love with grayson's flexing, strutting, posing thing after his dunk. particularly as it at least looked like he was taunting trice.

Olympic Fan
04-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Not impressed very much by this thread.

UNC fans hate Duke??

Big surprise.

My definition of Duke hate is when we get bombarded by so-called journalist and broadcasters -- from Len Elmore and Bomani Jones to the guys at Grantland.

It's the institutional Duke hatred that bothers me. Not surprised at all that rival fans -- especially Maryland, UNC and Kentucky fans -- hate Duke and Duke players. I remember Christian Laettner telling me that he was glad rival fans hated him because it meant he was beating them.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-05-2015, 07:39 PM
to be fair, i wasn't in love with grayson's flexing, strutting, posing thing after his dunk. particularly as it at least looked like he was taunting trice.
If you watch the replay from the behind-the-basket angle, you'll see he is not nearly as close to Trice as it appears from the baseline extended angle. He wasn't in his face. At all. And Trice gave absolutely no indication of annoyance with Grayson. The kid was pumped. That's it.

slower
04-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Not impressed very much by this thread.

There are plenty of others for you to peruse.

slower
04-05-2015, 07:44 PM
If you watch the replay from the behind-the-basket angle, you'll see he is not nearly as close to Trice as it appears from the baseline extended angle. He wasn't in his face. At all. And Trice gave absolutely no indication of annoyance with Grayson. The kid was pumped. That's it.

I think he was flexing for the guys on the bench. He has certainly been no more demonstrative than Jah, Tyus, Amile or Justise. Just a kid enjoying the moment.

Bob Green
04-05-2015, 07:47 PM
There are plenty of others for you to peruse.

I agree with Olympic Fan, this thread is very unimpressive and its timing is bizarre.

slower
04-05-2015, 07:51 PM
I agree with Olympic Fan, this thread is very unimpressive and its timing is bizarre.

Why is the timing "bizarre"? I was just relaying what I had heard this weekend from Tar Heel fans. Read your own conspiracy theories into it if you want or have another mod delete it. It's no worse than some of the other tripe that gets posted around here.

conmanlhughes
04-05-2015, 07:51 PM
"To choose not to choose is still a choice for which you alone are responsible."
-Gary Cox

Indoor66
04-05-2015, 07:55 PM
Thank the Lord that the sensitivity meters are functioning properly.:rolleyes:

cspan37421
04-05-2015, 07:55 PM
"To choose not to choose is still a choice for which you alone are responsible."
-Gary Cox

Funny, I thought that was Neal Peart - at least the first half. ;)

slower
04-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Mods,

Put this thing out of its misery. I think some of you guys are trying to ascribe intentions to me that aren't there. Some people may get knee injuries from excessive jerking.

bob blue devil
04-05-2015, 08:13 PM

maybe. i think the play is probably a Rorschach test that'll reveal fan allegiance.

sagegrouse
04-05-2015, 08:19 PM
News from Indy -- Kentucky got booed so loud on intros, you couldn't hear the cheers. Duke had no boos.

Darn it! It's hard to be paranoid when the facts are different.

Tripping William
04-05-2015, 08:36 PM
News from Indy -- Kentucky got booed so loud on intros, you couldn't hear the cheers. Duke had no boos.

Yeah, but that was last night ..... ;-)

Actually, if haters gonna hate, I hope that they hate Duke 2016 because we are the 2015 champs! And that they hate Grayson Allen because he is the 2015 MOP.

stillcrazie
04-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Nice article:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/adjvjslacjskclklkxlc-learning-to-love-duke-basketball/

Newton_14
04-05-2015, 10:49 PM

Are you being serious? I suppose that makes sense somewhat as I doubt either Wisconsin or Mich St fans fall into the "I hate Duke" camp, but UK certainly does and I expected them to have more fans there than anybody.

Interesting

Edouble
04-06-2015, 02:50 AM
Mods,

Put this thing out of its misery. I think some of you guys are trying to ascribe intentions to me that aren't there. Some people may get knee injuries from excessive jerking.

You're thinking of Ademola Okulaja.

porkpa
04-06-2015, 05:47 AM
I understood the Laettner hate. There where actually times when he deserved it.
What I could never understand was all the hatred given to J J. He always came across to me as an outstanding young man who was also a terrific basketball player. Sure there was the the occasional floor slapping. But that was done to motivate his teammates, not to show up the opposition.
Can somebody please explain?

freshmanjs
04-06-2015, 07:40 AM
What I could never understand was all the hatred given to J J. He always came across to me as an outstanding young man who was also a terrific basketball player. Sure there was the the occasional floor slapping. But that was done to motivate his teammates, not to show up the opposition.

he was fond of the shocker.

CDu
04-06-2015, 08:20 AM

Besides the obvious (already hinted at in this thread)? Redick was a huge trash talker. His overt cockiness on the floor certainly added to the hate.

ns7
04-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Besides the obvious (already hinted at in this thread)? Redick was a huge trash talker. His overt cockiness on the floor certainly added to the hate.

I always thought that JJ started being cocky because everyone hated him from the start. He was pretty tame his freshman year.

captmojo
04-06-2015, 08:44 AM
After the video-reviewed, no-call of 'The Neck-Slap', I don't ever want to hear another reference from Kentucky people about how Laetnner deserves any hatred.

That's a lot of hyphens, ain't it?

KandG
04-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Not to dredge up any more tiresome "hate" articles (which don't seem to have the impact they used to -- that's what 5 championships and 2 in 5 years does), but I didn't see this piece by Will Leitch linked on the front page and thought it was really good as far as riffs on Duke hate go:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/116736548/grayson-allen-duke-blue-devils-national-championship-game

"No one wants to admit it, but for the last five or six years, we have all had a Duke problem. We've done what we can to ignore this problem, to pretend it doesn't exist, but deep down, we've known the truth but just couldn't say it. So it's time to get it out in the open: Duke hasn't been that hateable.

...Duke has changed over the last few years, as Coach K has become more involved with USA Basketball and has embraced the idea of one-and-dones, evolving in a way his mentor Bob Knight never did. This year's team has two of the top five picks in DraftExpress' NBA mock draft and is stacked with charismatic, fun, likable players up and down its roster. If this team had GONZAGA on the front of its jerseys, you would totally love them."

Also, I know Bill Simmons is a sore subject around here (for very good reason), but he tweeted about how he liked this latest Duke team, and got in another (sort of) plug in his latest Grantland column on the NBA teams outside of the playoffs. He wants the Orlando Magic to draft Justise in the worst possible way:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbas-furious-17-capturing-the-noncontenders-state-of-mind/

"God, I love the thought of Winslow on this team. That reminds me, is there a support group for sports fans who despised Duke for the past 20-plus years with a passion normally reserved for meter maids and traffic jams, only they thoroughly enjoyed watching the Blue Devils’ collection of 2015 players and even found themselves rooting for them a couple of times?"

Tripping William
04-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Yeah, but that was last night ..... ;-)

Actually, if haters gonna hate, I hope that they hate Duke 2016 because we are the 2015 champs! And that they hate Grayson Allen because he is the 2015 MOP.

I just realized I came really damn close here. Hate away, haters! :)

captmojo
04-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Not to dredge up any more tiresome "hate" articles (which don't seem to have the impact they used to -- that's what 5 championships and 2 in 5 years does), but I didn't see this piece by Will Leitch linked on the front page and thought it was really good as far as riffs on Duke hate go:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/116736548/grayson-allen-duke-blue-devils-national-championship-game

"No one wants to admit it, but for the last five or six years, we have all had a Duke problem. We've done what we can to ignore this problem, to pretend it doesn't exist, but deep down, we've known the truth but just couldn't say it. So it's time to get it out in the open: Duke hasn't been that hateable.

...Duke has changed over the last few years, as Coach K has become more involved with USA Basketball and has embraced the idea of one-and-dones, evolving in a way his mentor Bob Knight never did. This year's team has two of the top five picks in DraftExpress' NBA mock draft and is stacked with charismatic, fun, likable players up and down its roster. If this team had GONZAGA on the front of its jerseys, you would totally love them."

Also, I know Bill Simmons is a sore subject around here (for very good reason), but he tweeted about how he liked this latest Duke team, and got in another (sort of) plug in his latest Grantland column on the NBA teams outside of the playoffs. He wants the Orlando Magic to draft Justise in the worst possible way:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbas-furious-17-capturing-the-noncontenders-state-of-mind/

"God, I love the thought of Winslow on this team. That reminds me, is there a support group for sports fans who despised Duke for the past 20-plus years with a passion normally reserved for meter maids and traffic jams, only they thoroughly enjoyed watching the Blue Devils’ collection of 2015 players and even found themselves rooting for them a couple of times?"

Nothing is forever. Death, taxes, all things can be shaped and changed.

This one? All I can think of is, we'd better get right with God. :D