PDA

View Full Version : What's your ritual? THE REMIX!!!

SupaDave
04-05-2015, 12:04 AM
Thought I'd bring it back since we haven't done it a while and we've had lots of new members.

Oh yeah - we are in the championship game baby!!!

So, tell us, what's been your ritual during this tourney?

My ritual thus far has been to wear my Grant Hill jersey during this tourney. Then I go to the pizza place at half time and make all my Syracuse friends upset. So far so good.

I may not take a bath until Tuesday...

CR9
04-05-2015, 12:07 AM
First rule of Duke basketball; do not talk about Duke basketball.

(I also wear my lucky snapback)

cptnflash
04-05-2015, 12:07 AM
My wife and I attended the Syracuse game at Cameron this year to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary. During the trip, I bought a brand new Duke t-shirt at the book store. I've worn it every game of the tournament so far, unwashed. Probably won't take it off for the next 48 hours.

DukeBlueHeart4
04-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Mine is simple....I wear one of 3 Duke t-shirts, none of which boast about a national title or make disparaging marks about Carolina (the fact that there are only 3 tells you a lot about my Duke wardrobe), I go to my sister's to watch the game on her 70 inch tv where we order stuffed crust pizza, and I eat two Reese's cups after half time. It has not failed once during this tourney but that as soon as I open my first Reese's cup, we go on a run. Now, I'm not saying my Reese's are responsible, but surely these boys aren't good enough to pull that off all by themselves! :D

DukeFanSince1990
04-05-2015, 12:48 AM
I sit on the floor......not very exciting I know but I have done it since I was 10.

juise
04-05-2015, 01:04 AM
I have dressed my 10-month-old daughter in her Duke outfit 3 times this season - at UNC, SDSU, MSU. Those were all weekend games and spaced out a couple weeks. I don't know if putting it on Monday would be going to the well too often.

I have a buddy who is not watching the games live because of some bad mojo from January. He wasn't very consistent, but didn't follow the ritual for the ACC semi's. Now he's faithful to it. Sacrifice for the greater good.

mattman91
04-05-2015, 01:14 AM
I have dressed my 10-month-old daughter in her Duke outfit 3 times this season - at UNC, SDSU, MSU. Those were all weekend games and spaced out a couple weeks. I don't know if putting it on Monday would be going to the well too often.

I have a buddy who is not watching the games live because of some bad mojo from January. He wasn't very consistent, but didn't follow the ritual for the ACC semi's. Now he's faithful to it. Sacrifice for the greater good.

sacrificing 3 fully grown male goats to the basketball gods Monday at sunrise. They will be painted baby blue.

weezie
04-05-2015, 01:19 AM
^^^ Whoa, intense! mattman bringing the ritualistic slaughter big time! I like it!

I'll have the Duke Blue lacy undies, the sweet sequinned Converse and the original gangsta T-shirt.
And pants, of course.

Native
04-05-2015, 01:19 AM
Wearing a ref jersey and breaking stadium folding chairs has been going pretty well so far.

Here's to many more on Monday night.

msdukie
04-05-2015, 01:53 AM
I've worn the same clothes (everything, every layer) for every game Duke has played since Nov. 1993 whether I was there or not. (Don't worry, I have numerous sets of everything....except for my lucky jacket which sadly time is in the process of completely destroying.) I have a GTHC shirt added as an underlayer worn 2-3 times a year.

jacone21
04-05-2015, 02:23 AM
^^^ Whoa, intense! mattman bringing the ritualistic slaughter big time! I like it!

I'll have the Duke Blue lacy undies, the sweet sequinned Converse and the original gangsta T-shirt.
And pants, of course.

Please post a picture of the...

shoes.

wavedukefan70s
04-05-2015, 09:34 AM
I eat shrimp and a mt.dew black sox.black duke hat.
I bought a collectable duke devil bobblehead. Lost first game I watched with it.threw it in the woods behind my house.

weezie
04-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Please post a picture of the...
shoes.

Believe me, that's all you'd want to see! :eek:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-05-2015, 10:09 AM
sacrificing 3 fully grown male goats to the basketball gods Monday at sunrise. They will be painted baby blue.

If I weren't thousands of miles away, I would join your ritual.

Or at least watch the game together.

Henderson
04-05-2015, 10:17 AM

If I weren't thousands of miles away, I would join your ritual.

Or at least watch the game together.

I cook a mean braised goat. Maybe if the three hides are mounted, mattman could hang them in the Dean Dome with the Helms banner. I'll help if needed. Gotta have bread with goat.

hurleyfor3
04-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Need to find some blue hair dye...

DukeDevilDeb
04-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Been here for all 4 previous championships but have changed up the ritual for this one.

Started in the first game of this tournament:

I wear my 2010 National Championship shirt... they did well Houston to Indy, so should this team!

Wear my Duke Basketball Shoelaces (yeah, I know! But they have come up big this year!)

Let my friend's cat sleep on my Duke jacket... this has been especially effective. Once during the tournament when things seemed out of hand, I ran upstairs, grabbed the cat, plunked him on the jacket, and said "STAY!" He did! Amazing!

Most of all, I send my best vibes to college basketball's greatest coach ever, a support staff of some of the finest people in the world, to the players (many of whom I have had in class and truly love as honorable and ethical human beings--and they are nice too!), and to the best Academic Coordinator men's basketball has every had!

Go DUKE! Show the world that a program that follows the rules and values academics as well as athletics is #1!

Atldukie79
04-05-2015, 12:57 PM
So the traditional Duke game ritual which is continuing through the tournament involves:

1) Getting my 3 grown sons (in their 20's) along with my brother, sister and wife on a text group. We bang the keys throughout the game. I predictably "freak out" (or so my kids think) every time we stall "too soon".
2) My superstition is to stand until we hit our first 3 pointer. (you can thank me later...the streak lives for decades)

This year I have added another, more serious ritual. My Dad has been in the Durham VA Hospice for the past 30 days. I have relocated to Durham for the duration. I stand by Dad's bed and hold his hand. (Makes keeping the 3 point ritual of standing rather moot) Sometimes he follows the game, sometimes not. But this is a ritual I am glad to continue.

I had a chance to go to Indy, but needless to say, I am in the right place...

Newton_14
04-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Thought I'd bring it back since we haven't done it a while and we've had lots of new members.

Oh yeah - we are in the championship game baby!!!

So, tell us, what's been your ritual during this tourney?

My ritual thus far has been to wear my Grant Hill jersey during this tourney. Then I go to the pizza place at half time and make all my Syracuse friends upset. So far so good.

I may not take a bath until Tuesday...
I have been riding my road blue #12 Winslow jersey for sometime now, but it has not been washed since the tourney began. Going to ride that horse one more time Monday Night Supa!

(and hopefully for how ever many games we play next season with Justise at the Forward spot! Please please please!!)

Jackson
04-05-2015, 02:14 PM
I've worn my #4 JJ Redick away jersey every game during the tournament. My daughter who has watched the games with me has worn blue Duke hoodie. No changes for the final game. When we win, you're all welcome. It's only crazy if it doesn't work!

superdave
04-05-2015, 03:53 PM
I have been wearing my 2010 title tshirt this whole tournament.

I also have a Laettner T-Wolves tshirt or a Duke basketball camp tshirt from about 1993 I could break out if needed. But that's really digging deep. I trust this team to keep me from having to chip in.

NancyCarol
04-05-2015, 04:29 PM
I'll wear my ORDER HAS BEEN RESTORED t shirt, get great sushi, turn off the phone and lights, lock the door and make sure my little puppy has her hidey place all set for when I start screaming at the TV. It is well known in my family and circle of friends that I must be alone when Duke plays. Go Duke.

hurleyfor3
04-05-2015, 05:34 PM
I've worn my #4 JJ Redick away jersey every game during the tournament...

That reminds me. At the remote lot at DEN, I parked in row JJ-4, as I usually do.

Also, I've been wearing the same shirt I wore for the 2010 postseason run (duke is now 6-0 when I wear it) and last night I stayed at the same hotel as for the 2010 championship game. I switched to a nicer place tonight though.

BlueHeaven
04-05-2015, 08:38 PM
My daughter put my stuffed blue devil on my nightstand during the second Carolina game. Since then, it hasn't left. So, I'm not sure if it's the chocolate chip cookies I made, the yellow cake with chocolate frosting that says "let's go Duke" on it, or my t-shirt. In an abundance of caution, I'll be doing all three tomorrow. I cannot watch with anyone outside my family and must talk to my father during halftime. I'm already nervous.

noyac
04-06-2015, 12:18 AM
So the traditional Duke game ritual which is continuing through the tournament involves:

1) Getting my 3 grown sons (in their 20's) along with my brother, sister and wife on a text group. We bang the keys throughout the game. I predictably "freak out" (or so my kids think) every time we stall "too soon".
2) My superstition is to stand until we hit our first 3 pointer. (you can thank me later...the streak lives for decades)

This year I have added another, more serious ritual. My Dad has been in the Durham VA Hospice for the past 30 days. I have relocated to Durham for the duration. I stand by Dad's bed and hold his hand. (Makes keeping the 3 point ritual of standing rather moot) Sometimes he follows the game, sometimes not. But this is a ritual I am glad to continue.

I had a chance to go to Indy, but needless to say, I am in the right place...

I am in Indy and this post touched me deeply. I will be rooting for Duke of course and I will definitely be rooting for you and your Dad.

Edouble
04-06-2015, 02:47 AM
I stand during most of the game and keep the box score on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper folded in two.

I emote fully with lots of yelling during the game, followed by laughter and craft beer during the post-game press conferences.

I always watch the games with my mom, Trinity '74, the best Duke fan that I know.

I wear some kind of Duke tee shirt, only for pride, not for superstition.

Reilly
04-06-2015, 08:54 AM
I stand during most of the game and keep the box score on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper folded in two ...

What does your version of the box score look like -- that is, what all are you tracking? Made and misssed shots? Rebounds, etc ...

I keep a running tally of who scored for Duke and what that made the score, w/ summaries for the TV timeout segments.

So, my piece of paper may look like this:

2 3-0
12 5-2
15 7-7
12 10-8
----------------------- 10-9 +1 15:43

... which means Cook scored to make it 3-0, then Winslow scored to make it 5-2, then Okafor scored to make it 7-7, Winslow scored to make it 10-8. And Duke won the first segment 10-9 (+1) w/ a TV timeout at the 15:43 mark.

It really helps me follow the rhythm of the game, and at a quick glance helps me call to mind any specific play ("oh yeah, that's right, the score was x to y when player A hit that massive 3 to make it x+3 to y").

peterjswift
04-06-2015, 10:00 AM
I always have a Diet Dr. Pepper to go with every game. Earlier this season, for the Louisville game @ Yum, I had store brand "Diet Dr. W" from Wegmans instead of the real thing. I've been buying the store brand ever since.

nyesq83
04-06-2015, 12:37 PM
I eat oysters (1991) or I assemble bookshelves - it worked for for 1992, 2001 and 2010 Natty Champs.

duke09hms
04-06-2015, 12:39 PM
For this year's tournament run, I've been watching alone on the computer in the lab. Sigh, guess I'll have to do the same tonight.

LET'S GO DUKE!!

BrazyATX
04-06-2015, 01:50 PM
First rule of Duke basketball; do not talk about Duke basketball.

Henderson
04-06-2015, 02:13 PM
For this year's tournament run, I've been watching alone on the computer in the lab. Sigh, guess I'll have to do the same tonight.

LET'S GO DUKE!!

You're on a roll, brother. Take one more for the team.

Duke Computer Power is on the case!

Edouble
04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
What does your version of the box score look like -- that is, what all are you tracking? Made and misssed shots? Rebounds, etc ...

I keep a running tally of who scored for Duke and what that made the score, w/ summaries for the TV timeout segments.

So, my piece of paper may look like this:

2 3-0
12 5-2
15 7-7
12 10-8
----------------------- 10-9 +1 15:43

... which means Cook scored to make it 3-0, then Winslow scored to make it 5-2, then Okafor scored to make it 7-7, Winslow scored to make it 10-8. And Duke won the first segment 10-9 (+1) w/ a TV timeout at the 15:43 mark.

It really helps me follow the rhythm of the game, and at a quick glance helps me call to mind any specific play ("oh yeah, that's right, the score was x to y when player A hit that massive 3 to make it x+3 to y").

I like your "game flow" boxscore.

Mine is a pretty soft box score. I track points for each player on both teams: field goals, three pointers, free throws, and missed free throws, as well as fouls.

SupaDave
04-07-2015, 12:58 AM
Thank you all!!!!

wallyman
04-07-2015, 12:58 AM
Same blue jeans, ll bean blue shirt, over Duke basketball t shirt purchased at Cameron. Plus dinner of pad Thai and three California rolls. Serves two. It worked!!!! What a tournament.

TampaDukie
04-07-2015, 01:01 AM
In my office, I have a plush toy that spells out Duke. On Thursday, it fell behind my desk, and I retrieved it and put it back. When I walked into the office today, I realized it was upside down. I wanted to fix it so badly, but thought, "Well it was that way over the weekend when we beat Michigan State. I should leave it alone." So I did for good luck, even though seeing it upside down drove me crazy all day long. It was more than worth the agitation!

Edouble
04-07-2015, 04:22 AM
I stand during most of the game and keep the box score on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper folded in two.

I emote fully with lots of yelling during the game, followed by laughter and craft beer during the post-game press conferences.

I always watch the games with my mom, Trinity '74, the best Duke fan that I know.

I wear some kind of Duke tee shirt, only for pride, not for superstition.

Tonight, when we were down 9 in the second half, Mom tried to walk out of the room.

I told her that she needed to sit the heck down and stay in front of the TV because there were 13 minutes left and we were winning this thing. Sometimes game rituals are more important than not cursing out your own mother.

DUKIE V(A)
04-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Mine is simple....I wear one of 3 Duke t-shirts, none of which boast about a national title or make disparaging marks about Carolina (the fact that there are only 3 tells you a lot about my Duke wardrobe), I go to my sister's to watch the game on her 70 inch tv where we order stuffed crust pizza, and I eat two Reese's cups after half time. It has not failed once during this tourney but that as soon as I open my first Reese's cup, we go on a run. Now, I'm not saying my Reese's are responsible, but surely these boys aren't good enough to pull that off all by themselves! :D

Dear DukeBlueHeart4-

Thank you for your incredible commitment to the team. I feel bad asking for more after all you have done and don't mean to sound ungrateful, but in the future will you please consider enjoying your Reese's cups a bit earlier in the second half? You had people (me especially) at a Duke watch party begging and pleading for you to commence with the peanut butter cupage already. At one point, my wife asked if she should go upstairs to fetch everyone a package. Thankfully, we were patient and fought the urge to intervene. We noticed the laserlike accuracy and extra bounce in Grayson's step after your first bite. Thank you for not waiting any longer.

Sincerely,
Dukie V(A)

peterjswift
04-07-2015, 02:37 PM
When Duke was down by 9, one of my smart-alec friends texted me with the statement: "You doing okay?"

As tempted as I was to write back with: "there's 12 minutes to go, just sit tight" - I just ignored it. When Duke was making the run - I was again tempted to text back a comment. Then when Duke took the lead - the temptation was almost too much to overcome - but I fought it and waited until the game was over to write back: "doing fine, what's up?"

So, friends, you can thank me for the victory, since I never succumbed to the temptation to jinx it.

I also drank 3 cans of Diet Dr. W, which I think might have had an impact as well.

Reilly
04-10-2015, 08:05 AM
I like your "game flow" boxscore ...

Though it is very simple, it somehow really helps me find "deeper patterns and hidden movement" -- a phrase from this post on stats and baseball that I found interesting (found both the phrase and the post interesting)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/dont-let-op-eds-ruin-baseball/