04-04-2015, 08:27 PM
That.... Was.... Awesome.... Defense

Tripping William
Monday Night, y'all!

DesertDevil
ON TO THE FINALS!!!

I don't fear Kentucky, but I'll be pulling for Wisky in game 2.

Skitzle
Refs did a terrible job on both sides, but the can't swing any game by 20pts.

The intensity Duke brought to that game didn't match the final score. They played like it was a 5pt game till there was 8 min left on the clock.

GREAT GAME. Can we play even better on Monday?

Acymetric
04-04-2015, 08:28 PM
I want Kentucky, but I won't be able to bring myself to actually pull for them tonight. I consider game 2 a win-win.

Karl Beem
04-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Both the Utes and Zags were better.

SoCalDukeFan

The intensity Duke brought to that game didn't match the final score. They played like it was a 5pt game till there was 8 min left on the clock.

We will have to.

And I think we will.

SoCal

Dukeblue91
What a great game.
The defense was awesome and one of the best I've seen by this team.
I just love this team and the way they play, especially Cook and Justice ;)
Grayson is coming on nicely too.

kaufmjo
04-04-2015, 08:30 PM

Agreed great intensity and kafir was getting murdered inside without any calls

House G
A complete dismantling. Anyone who complains about the disparity in FTs didn't watch the game.

NancyCarol
So grateful to this team and our great coach. What a game.

Lulu
04-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Hate to even talk about the refs, but yeah, they were just awful, one in particular but two were just plain bad. I saw as many bad calls go our way, too. This is pretty much the only time we're allowed to discuss the refs, after a 20 point win. For the most part it's been bad this whole tournament.

pfrduke
04-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Great game plan by K. We had a decided advantage inside, and we really exploited it. Tons of drives, tons of points in the paint, tons of free throws. This is not a jump shooting team - this is a team that can do just about whatever it wants to do on offense. We scored 81 points making 2 threes.

ice-9
04-04-2015, 08:38 PM
We won this with amazing defence and penetration (with great finishing and/or passing).

If you told me before the game that we would win by 20 points and only make two, two 3-point shots I would have said you're crazy.

devildeac
Hate to even talk about the refs, but yeah, they were just awful, one in particular but two were just plain bad. I saw as many bad calls go our way, too. This is pretty much the only time we're allowed to discuss the refs, after a 20 point win. For the most part it's been bad this whole tournament.

I wonder if the 2 acc refs are the ones you are referencing...

:rolleyes:

KenTankerous
Anyone who does not want UK on Monday does not love basketball.

duncnoah
anybody got the press conference live link?

Henderson

And yet...

bluenorth
04-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Great game, great d, great team, and great coach. K managed each situation like the hall of famer that he is.

devildeac
04-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Great game plan by K. We had a decided advantage inside, and we really exploited it. Tons of drives, tons of points in the paint, tons of free throws. This is not a jump shooting team - this is a team that can do just about whatever it wants to do on offense. We scored 81 points making 2 threes.

We won this with amazing defence and penetration (with great finishing and/or passing).

If you told me before the game that we would win by 20 points and only make two, two 3-point shots I would have said you're crazy.

And it was 2/10 on our 3s for a 20% night from long range. Impressive. Highly impressive.

brevity
04-04-2015, 08:41 PM

A 5 seed and a 2 seed were both better than a 7 seed? Go figure.

But MSU was a much better 12-loss team than UNC.

dukelifer
04-04-2015, 08:41 PM
MSU struggles in the FF and against Duke. Perhaps not too surprising. Duke played with poise even after getting MSU's best shot in the first 5 minutes. Great team effort. Bench was impressive.

TampaDukie
04-04-2015, 08:42 PM
If anyone had told me we'd win by 20 with only 2 made threes, I never would have believed it. I love this team so much, and I can't wait to cheer them on Monday night. Go Devils!

TNTDevil
04-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Agreed. It seemed like as the game progressed, all our ball-handlers felt confident they could beat their defender and did so with ease.

As for the refs...I just don't understand the complete obliviousness (all season long and, not limited to Duke opponents) to the moving screens which appear to me to be thinly-veiled lead blocks.

anonj
04-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Being a big Hurricanes fan as well as diehard Duke fan, the only in-depth analysis I can add is…

Wooooooooooooooo!!!!

devildeac
04-04-2015, 08:44 PM
MOTM? I'm voting for Cookslowfor.:o

gumbomoop
04-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Seems fair to say that the 3 teams remaining are the 3 best teams in the country by NCAAT time. Villanova was perhaps a little overvalued, though admittedly their Kenpom numbers are solid.

Anyhow, any of the 3 remaining obviously can win it, and the winner will justifiably be able to say it's the best this season. If UK loses tonight, Wisconsin will either have played better or simply be the better team.

A UK win will set up the perfect Final. A loss will lead to more talk about the relative ease of their overall schedule, particularly the SEC.

chrishoke
04-04-2015, 08:48 PM
postgame press conference link?

MChambers
04-04-2015, 08:51 PM
The refs weren't terrible. They made some mistakes, but I thought the bad calls were pretty even. It's got to be a very hard job, given the speed of the game.

cptnflash
04-04-2015, 08:51 PM

Anyone who does not want UK on Monday actually wants Duke to have the best possible chance to win a national championship. The trophy won't be any bigger if we have to beat Kentucky to get it.

kcarson
04-04-2015, 08:52 PM

I see where you're coming from, but I live in Kentucky. I don't want to hear them for two more days. I really don't want to have to deal with a loss to them in the championship, even though I'm optimistic about that one.

duncnoah
04-04-2015, 08:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjX5HeAiNVU

Henderson
04-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Doesn't this make the second game more fun to watch?

Smile, relax, grab a cold one, and repeat.

dukelifer
04-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Anyone who does not want UK on Monday actually wants Duke to have the best possible chance to win a national championship. The trophy won't be any bigger if we have to beat Kentucky to get it.

It is going to be pretty big either way

MChambers
04-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Either way. Duke will be an underdog Monday and will play against an excellent team.

MChambers
04-04-2015, 08:56 PM

Think I can have another glass of wine now!

DukieInKansas
04-04-2015, 08:58 PM
MOTM? I'm voting for Cookslowfor.:o

I'm voting for Slowforcook

NYBri
04-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Overpowering win. Great Defense.

Anyone else see that Okafor was at the top of the key setting screens more than usual? Usually for JW?

dukelifer
04-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Either way. Duke will be an underdog Monday and will play against an excellent team.

Duke under the radar the whole tourney - amazing

gumbomoop
04-04-2015, 09:01 PM

Amen. This should be a great game, and it's nice to want to watch it, knowing that we'll be there Minday night for a final great matchup, no matter the opponent. Wisconsin sure looks for real to me.

roywhite
Have to laugh at the talking heads who picked Michigan State here. Reggie Miller and Steve Smith were just totally off.

Okay, easy to see this in retrospect, but you gave the coaching edge to Izzo?? And you didn't realize how well Duke was playing on defense? Scoreboard, guys.

Under the radar is working fine so far.

arnie

I don't think so. We could be 1/2-1 pt favorite against Wisconsin and 4-5 dog against KY. I'm definitely hoping for KY loss.

devildeac
04-04-2015, 09:03 PM
I'm rooting for a 131-130 7 OT game now that finishes about 2 am with the winning team going out til noon or so Sunday on a wild celebratory excursion.

Henderson
04-04-2015, 09:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjX5HeAiNVU

The Question Nazi is really annoying.

Merlindevildog91
04-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Not too impressed with Izzo's conference. Complaining about the refs and saying he needs to recruit better. I always thought he was classier than that. Quit channeling your inner Ol' Roy, dude, and don't throw your guys under the bus.

devildeac
04-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Not too impressed with Izzo's conference. Complaining about the refs and saying he needs to recruit better. I always thought he was classier than that. Quit channeling your inner Ol' Roy, dude, and don't throw your guys under the bus.

I'll guess he didn't complain about the multiple times our guys got leveled on drives without fouls being called. :rolleyes:

g-money
04-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Great win!! So psyched for our guys!

The refs were bad, but the bottom line is that MSU could not stop our penetration.

If we play this well on Monday, I think we can beat anybody.

On a related note, did I hear correctly in the pregame that Cal didn't show his players any footage of Wisconsin this week? That is unfathomable.

MartyClark
04-04-2015, 09:17 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I live in Kentucky. I don't want to hear them for two more days. I really don't want to have to deal with a loss to them in the championship, even though I'm optimistic about that one.

In my perfect scenario, Duke beats Kentucky in the final. Nevertheless, go Badgers!! I can't root for Kentucky and I also think has a better chance against Wisconsin.

Great effort by this team today. This has been a special year.

Merlindevildog91
04-04-2015, 09:18 PM
I'll guess he didn't complain about the multiple times our guys got leveled on drives without fouls being called. :rolleyes:

Nope. He remembers the good old days when they could play Big Ten football, uh, basketball (yes, he actually said "football" first). I guess he didn't realize Duke is a football school now.:cool:

fuse
04-04-2015, 09:19 PM
One more.

Win for Quinn!

CDu
04-04-2015, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I like Izzo and think he is a terrific coach, but this is a common refrain from him. When the refs don't let his team play football, he complains.

Won't let that ruin my night now. On the championship game! Hard to believe that after a long season we are 40 good minutes away from a championship. Let's hope our guys continue to play with the poise that they have shown throughout this tourney.

GO DUKE!!!

Duke76
04-04-2015, 09:23 PM

yes we can....effort was 100%, we can duplicate that but we can shoot a higher percentage from floor and more 3's

KenTankerous
04-04-2015, 09:26 PM

Oh I live in Kentucky. I realize wearing my Duke gear after Monday is going to be suicidal, literally.

But as a basketball fan.

Go big blue! I want UK Duke

millerecu
04-04-2015, 09:26 PM
There are some nervous Carowina fans right now....they are currently searching for another fake championship from the 1920 somethings in the event Duke gets another one on Monday. Go Duke!

Skitzle
04-04-2015, 09:27 PM
If the gods say that we will win Monday's game, I'd like to play Kentucky. Ruining the perfect season would be oh so sweet.

If the gods say that we will lose on Monday, I'd like to play Wisconsin, because I don't want to lose to Kentucky while Calipari is coaching them ever.

This is how I feel.

gocanes0506
04-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Overpowering win. Great Defense.

Anyone else see that Okafor was at the top of the key setting screens more than usual? Usually for JW?

I think we'll see that Monday as well. Need to get the bigs out of the paint for penetration by the guards.

Great win! Refs were terrible in stretches for both teams.

fuse
04-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Just wanted to take a moment to revel in and acknowledge how special this game and victory is.

As fans, it's pretty easy to say this outcome was expected at the start of the season.

Nothing is guaranteed.

This has been as fun a team to watch as I can recall.

pfrduke
04-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Updating our aggregate performance following the Michigan State game:

Out of 200 tournament minutes, we've been in the lead for 173 minutes and 44 seconds. 92 minutes and 34 seconds of that (46% of all total game minutes) has been by double digits. The trailing time was added to today - it went from 6:36 through four games to 15:42 through 5 games. But in the second halves - 100 minutes of basketball, Duke has been in the lead for 95 minutes and 17 seconds. It's been a virtuoso performance.

Also, now accounting for the semifinal game, Duke has given up 275 points in 315 possessions - good for .873 points per possession. Whoever we face on Monday will by far be the toughest test of the tourney so far, but to date Duke has met every challenge and then some.

dairedevil
04-04-2015, 09:54 PM
ESPN Headline: Top Stats to Know Duke v Michigan State

"Izzo suffered his fifth loss in the national semifinals, one shy of Dean Smith for the most all time." It's not often we see Dean Smith with negative stat :D

BlueTeuf
04-04-2015, 10:07 PM

"Izzo suffered his fifth loss in the national semifinals, one shy of Dean Smith for the most all time." It's not often we see Dean Smith with negative stat :D

Not really negative if he also had 5 or 6 wins. Bogus stat, IMO.

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Have to laugh at the talking heads who picked Michigan State here. Reggie Miller and Steve Smith were just totally off.

Okay, easy to see this in retrospect, but you gave the coaching edge to Izzo?? And you didn't realize how well Duke was playing on defense? Scoreboard, guys.

Under the radar is working fine so far.

Reggie Miller is not very good at his job.

brevity
04-04-2015, 10:16 PM

For about a minute, after Izzo and the bench received a warning, I wondered if Izzo would pay Dean Smith the ultimate tribute and get ejected from the Final Four. Roy would be so jealous.

dairedevil
04-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Of course it's a bogus stat..it's about as meaningful as the fact that Duke is playing its third NCAA championship game in Indianapolis, having won the first two times. It's just filler on an ESPN blog.

It seems that you rarely read negative stuff about Coach Smith, especially since his death this year.

dukebluelemur
04-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Reggie Miller is not very good at his job.

Reggie always was fond of long shots....

But seriously, I always just assume the talking heads are given their positions by the producers. Cant hold their picks against them.

duncnoah
04-04-2015, 10:31 PM
The Question Nazi is really annoying.

I noticed that too...normally they are very polite and only get rude when it is in an effort to protect the players/coach from repeated stupid questions. May have been a nazi for izzo...

BlueTeuf
04-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Of course it's a bogus stat..it's about as meaningful as the fact that Duke is playing its third NCAA championship game in Indianapolis, having won the first two times. It's just filler on an ESPN blog.

Copy; understood.

davekay1971
04-04-2015, 10:54 PM

It seems that you rarely read negative stuff about Coach Smith, especially since his death this year.

Of course, to lose that many national semifinal games, you have to get there a lot. It's a negative stat in the same way that the Vikings losing all those Super Bowls is a negative stat.

Given that Dean will have 2 of Carolina's 3 remaining natty's after the NCAA finally gets around to bringing the hammer down on the Heels, the UNC faithful will proudly honor all of Dean's national semifinal losses...

duke79
04-04-2015, 10:58 PM
I hate Kentucky as much as the next person on this Board and I think they're truly the evil empire, but I would love to see Duke play them on Monday night. Admittedly, they may be harder for Duke to beat than Wisconsin and I'm not sure we match up well against them, but I think it would truly be a marquee matchup - almost inarguably the two premier college basketball programs in the country (over the last 20 year or so and maybe even farther back). Sort of like when the Larry Bird-led Celtics were playing the Magic Johnson-led LA Lakers for the NBA championship. Or like the Allies fighting the Nazis in WW II. It's hard to imagine a better match-up for sports fans. Plus, I would LOVE to see Duke beat them.......and I think it's possible, if we play well.

cspan37421
04-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Or like the Allies fighting the Nazis in WW II.

Wait ... did you just go Godwin's on the NCAA Championship?

camion
04-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Wait ... did you just go Godwin's on the NCAA Championship?

Seems so. I guess that means:

It's over.

ncexnyc
04-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Fantastic team win with contributions from everyone.

I've got Monday night off and hopefully it won't be as nail biting as the 2010 game, but somehow I don't think that is going to be the case. Oh well, time to restock on the Tums.

devildeac
04-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Fantastic team win with contributions from everyone.

I've got Monday night off and hopefully it won't be as nail biting as the 2010 game, but somehow I don't think that is going to be the case. Oh well, time to restock on the Tums.

And make a visit to The Mash House and/or Huske Hardware;).

gurufrisbee
04-04-2015, 11:44 PM
Great win! So fun to see big contributions all game long from the "other four" who don't get the feature much. Big stuff from Grayson, Plumlee, Amile, and Matt. And our defense is still clicking. Super excited to have a shot at the big one Monday! Go Blue Devils!

Olympic Fan
04-04-2015, 11:54 PM

I've always said I'd rather lose in the Final Four than not get there. I don't think its a negative stat to point out that Izzo (or Smith) has the most semifinal losses.

For the record, the top 10 coaches in Final Four appearances (at least five appearances) and their record in the semifinals:

1. John Wooden 10-2
2. Mike Krzyzewski 9-3
3. Adolph Rupp 5-1
4. Dean Smuth 5-6
5. Roy Williams 4-3
6. Bob Knight 3-2
7. Rick Pitino 3-4
8. (tie) Guy Lewis 2-3
Lute Olson 2-3
10. Tom Izzo 2-5

It bugged me that with all the slurping of Izzo as a great tournament coach this past week, almosty no one mentioned that he was terrible in the Final Four ..,. while only Wooden has been better in the Final Four than K.

CDu
04-05-2015, 12:02 AM
I've always said I'd rather lose in the Final Four than not get there. I don't think its a negative stat to point out that Izzo (or Smith) has the most semifinal losses.

For the record, the top 10 coaches in Final Four appearances (at least five appearances) and their record in the semifinals:

1. John Wooden 10-2
2. Mike Krzyzewski 9-3
3. Adolph Rupp 5-1
4. Dean Smuth 5-6
5. Roy Williams 4-3
6. Bob Knight 3-2
7. Rick Pitino 3-4
8. (tie) Guy Lewis 2-3
Lute Olson 2-3
10. Tom Izzo 2-5

It bugged me that with all the slurping of Izzo as a great tournament coach this past week, almosty no one mentioned that he was terrible in the Final Four ..,. while only Wooden has been better in the Final Four than K.

Izzo's teams are famous for punching above their weight. But eventually they face a team with much more talent. Like in 1999 with Duke. Like in 2009 against UNC. And again this year. Really, aside from losing to Butler in 2010, they haven't lost games they were supposed to win.

Izzo does a great job despite adverse recruiting conditions (East Lansing? Blah!). He gets some talent, but usually not quite enough.

Furniture
04-05-2015, 12:03 AM
ESPN talking butts going with Wisconsin. Only Charles B with Duke?

NashvilleDevil
04-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Izzo's teams are famous for punching above their weight. But eventually they face a team with much more talent. Like in 1999 with Duke. Like in 2009 against UNC. And again this year. Really, aside from losing to Butler in 2010, they haven't lost games they were supposed to win.

Izzo does a great job despite adverse recruiting conditions (East Lansing? Blah!). He gets some talent, but usually not quite enough.

Michigan St was a 1 seed in 1999

AncientPsychicT
04-05-2015, 12:22 AM

They were a 1 seed the next season too when they won the title with Mateen Cleeves and co. They then lost as a 1 seed in the 2001 Final Four to 2-seed Arizona, a team that I would not say was obviously more talented than the Spartans. Michigan State and Izzo may not always have the talent, but they certainly did during that 1999-2001 run IMO.

Exiled_Devil
04-05-2015, 12:33 AM
Anyone know of a replay of the game? I don't see one on TBS, and I forgot to DVR it at home...

InSpades
04-05-2015, 12:35 AM
ESPN talking butts going with Wisconsin. Only Charles B with Duke?

We've been picked against more than we should throughout the tournament... why would this be any different? We beat them by 10 on their home court. We are playing our best basketball of the year by far. It's rare to say this but it seems like Duke has been disrespected by the talking heads. Who cares? Thankfully the game is played on the court. Bring them on!

DukeBlueHeart4
04-05-2015, 12:37 AM
Anyone know of a replay of the game? I don't see one on TBS, and I forgot to DVR it at home...

You should be able to watch it online here: http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live

CharlestonDave
04-05-2015, 12:41 AM
We've been picked against more than we should throughout the tournament... why would this be any different? We beat them by 10 on their home court. We are playing our best basketball of the year by far. It's rare to say this but it seems like Duke has been disrespected by the talking heads. Who cares? Thankfully the game is played on the court. Bring them on!

This not the same Wisconsin team that we beat earlier nor are we the same team. It should be a great game. I think the key match up will be Justice against Dekker.

CharlestonDave
04-05-2015, 12:42 AM
I hate Kentucky as much as the next person on this Board and I think they're truly the evil empire, but I would love to see Duke play them on Monday night. Admittedly, they may be harder for Duke to beat than Wisconsin and I'm not sure we match up well against them, but I think it would truly be a marquee matchup - almost inarguably the two premier college basketball programs in the country (over the last 20 year or so and maybe even farther back). Sort of like when the Larry Bird-led Celtics were playing the Magic Johnson-led LA Lakers for the NBA championship. Or like the Allies fighting the Nazis in WW II. It's hard to imagine a better match-up for sports fans. Plus, I would LOVE to see Duke beat them.......and I think it's possible, if we play well.

Allies against the Nazis , not the best analogy !!!

InSpades
04-05-2015, 12:52 AM
This not the same Wisconsin team that we beat earlier nor are we the same team. It should be a great game. I think the key match up will be Justice against Dekker.

People always say things like this but... for the most part they are the same teams. We will play 7 of the 8 guys we played in that game. They'll play the same guys for the most part (although Jackson who had a great game is now coming off the bench due to injury). Of course it doesn't mean the result will be the same but... all other things being equal, I'll take the team that won the 1st matchup in the 2nd matchup.

If anything the rematch should favor Duke. We have 4 freshman who play major parts... they have none. Younger players generally improve a lot more than older players.

We shot lights out from 3 in the 1st matchup but we actually shot even better from 2. They let us shoot 65% from the field. If that happens again... trouble for them.

uh_no
04-05-2015, 12:57 AM
As much as I love to win, I feel so much for MSU. they've had some amazing tournament success, and despite that, rarely hit the promised land

this year they ran into a train wreck vs DUKE!!!
last year they lost to eventual champion uconn
2 years ago they ran into DUKE
3 years ago they ran into probably second best team UL
5 years ago they ran into butler in the final 4
6 years ago they ran into the frequent traveler in the final

My point isn't that they should have beaten those teams, but they seem to play up to their level. when they go out, it's always to a worthy team. This isn't meant to be a knock on duke, and their few early outs, but praise for how well they play in the tournament. Izzo is a great coach. After K, he might have the most of my respect out of any coach in the country.

Here's to Tom Izzo, a stand up guy and a great coach.

I said before the game

I think a MSU victory looks like valentine going for a bunch of points along with trice and forbes providing enough of a threat to allow trice to carve us up. They're going to have to put up points, since I don't think they have the defense to hold us back. Jah gets in foul trouble, mitigating our size advantage down low, and MSU's guards stick to tyus/quinn like nappier/boatright did in the tournament last year. As a classic MSU team, they get more opportunities by beating us on the boards.

I think a Duke victory looks like: pretty much anything else. They realize they can't stop jahlil, they have no answer for justice, and maybe or maybe not we get some threes to fall.

Lets see
1) valentine going for a bunch....he got 7-11...good on him. great player
2) forbes allowing trice to "carve us up"...forbes did diddly, and while trice had 16, it was a relatively inefficient 16...going 2-7 from 3, and 4-6 otherwise. It's his season average, and we didn't allow him to go crazy
3) put up a bunch of points: they put up a 92. That's duke's average...and not going to get it done against a duke team that puts up a 122, and whose lowest adjusted output all season was a 97.5 against uconn. (JK it was a 97.3 vs ND...but had to salvage SOMETHING good out of the huskies seasoson!)
4) jah gets in foul trouble mitigating our size down low: 2PF and he killed them all game
5)MSU's guards do a good job on tyus/quinn: Quinn with 17 points.
6) more they beat us byt 1.1% on both O and D boards. as the fancy lawyers would say: De Minimis

1) can't stop jahlil: 18 points and getting their entire team in foul trouble? Both their centers finished with 4.
2) no answer for justice: 19 and 9
3) some threes to fall: 2-10. didn't take them much. didn't need them.

basically the ONLY thing that went MSU's way was that their two big scorers scored as expected. In the end, they couldn't match up with duke in really any sense. we killed them down low and they didn't stand a chance. two mediocre 6'9 (with all due respect and honesty) guys simply arne't going to stop okafor. they had a great run, and ran into a great team.

Duke is playing amazingly well. I was skeptical after the three losses. this would still be an amazing turn around for duke regardless of the outcome monday.

In my opinion this is K's best coaching job ever. many of us thought it was time to turn in the towel after miami....and here we are playing for the natty. I'm not ashamed to say I had doubts, they were reasonable and just. I don't think even coach K can deny the concern after admittedly having spent all night figuring out how to fix it after the miami game with the coaches. Well, congratulayions, guys. you figured it out. 1 more game to go down forever.

Lets do this

DDMF

burnspbesq
04-05-2015, 12:59 AM
Inside Carolina is amusing tonight, in its usual pathetic way.

Did you know that Duke had a ridiculously easy draw? Or that UNLV threw the 1991 semifinal game?

Neither did I. But it must be true, cuz i read it on IC

uh_no
04-05-2015, 01:20 AM
also, the national anthem was super cool. loved the idea....but for the fact that the UK person was not good....as American idol might say "a bit pitchy dog," and a "pitchy" doesn't cut it with 4 part harmony.

gumbomoop
04-05-2015, 01:33 AM
Great win! So fun to see big contributions all game long from the "other four" who don't get the feature much. Big stuff from Grayson, Plumlee, Amile, and Matt. And our defense is still clicking. Super excited to have a shot at the big one Monday! Go Blue Devils!

Amen, amen, amen. Special tip of hat to bench. Amile with 7 rebounds in 11 min, Marshall with 3 and a block in 10, and Greyson -- who now seems to have K's green light to create O from certain sets -- with 17 big minutes, 9 points, 5 rebounds. Fifteen rebounds from the bench. 15. Need something like that Monday night.

The loss of 2 players ahead of Grayson has opened things up for him. He's become our off-the-bench O.

weezie
04-05-2015, 01:41 AM
also, the national anthem was super cool. loved the idea....but for the fact that the UK person was not good....as American idol might say "a bit pitchy dog," and a "pitchy" doesn't cut it with 4 part harmony.

It was. Sounded great in person. Those kids can sing!

subzero02
04-05-2015, 02:33 AM

Utah played a marvelous defensive game, especially against Okafor.

chi
04-05-2015, 03:54 AM
On a related note, did I hear correctly in the pregame that Cal didn't show his players any footage of Wisconsin this week? That is unfathomable.

I read earlier that Calipari does not show his players much tape, saying something like, " we mainly care about what we do and not what the other team does". also think this is a bad practice ...

Bob Green
04-05-2015, 09:43 AM
My expectations were completely wrong in regard to the rotation. I posted pregame that Coach K would utilize a 6.5 man rotation and was completely surprised Jefferson, Allen and Plumlee all played double digit minutes.

dbcooper
04-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Anyone else think the loss in the ACC Tourney to ND helped Duke stop the bleeding and get refocused after the horrible first 4 mins against Mich. St.?

They took a mirage of 3's and were down big early and this game was going sideways for Duke. I am sure K used the ND loss as a learning tool and Duke got back on track - At least it didn't take 24 minutes this right the ship.

I love how this team plays with heart and emotion! (just get back on D after and awesome dunk - Justise & Grayson);)

Beat the Badgers, Go Duke!

DB ---E

Henderson
04-05-2015, 10:07 AM

You should be able to watch it online here: http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live

I'm only seeing 2 minute recaps everywhere I look, including at the above link. That seems to be the case with all of our NCAAT games. If anyone has a link to a full-game replay of last night's game (or any of the others), I'd like to watch some blood pressure-friendly Duke basketball today.

gumbomoop
04-05-2015, 10:17 AM
My expectations were completely wrong in regard to the rotation. I posted pregame that Coach K would utilize a 6.5 man rotation and was completely surprised Jefferson, Allen and Plumlee all played double digit minutes.

One of the unanticipated (by me) advantages of having only 8 guys is how K actually now has an 8, rather than 6-7, rotation. Moreover, we can expect at least one, sometimes two, and last night three, of our subs to contribute significantly. Again, 15 rebounds last night from bench.

Will need strong rebounds from Amile and Marshall, as Wisconsin absolutely crushed UK on boards last night. Badgers are taller at every starting spot, stronger at most. Good thing we're playing our best, because so are they.

Another unanticipated plus of "the 8" is how close they seem to be. K keeps saying -- with hints of sincerity, conviction, and what looks suspiciously like really real affection-- that he loves this team.

bob blue devil
04-05-2015, 10:23 AM
izzo has accomplished something coach k never will - izzo has a win against the best coach in college basketball. ;)

my take on izzo's tournament success is this, he's a great coach who has also gotten extremely lucky. in his last 2 final four runs, out of his 8 wins, he's had none by more than 7 points. he's also had relatively accomodative paths.

folks talking about dean smith having the most semi-final losses in history might want to look at who has the most championship game losses in history... here's a hint: it ain't dean

House G
04-05-2015, 10:31 AM

I told my son just before tipoff that Coach K needed to play all 8 guys as he had done throughout the tourney. I was concerned that he might shorten his bench. I believe we may have extended the lead with Oak and Winslow on the bench. What a luxury to have guys like Plumlee and Jefferson who know their roles--they are unsung heroes. And the choirboy? He keeps getting better and better. He is one aggressive dude for a freshman--not afraid to drive against the bigs, pull up for a long J, or (my favorite) dive for a loose ball.

ac12
04-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Spartan here checking in to say congrats. Your team played one hell of a game. We just looked totally unprepared for the trapping and the press. Your guys were flying around on defense like their lives depended on it. I have been to many Duke games over the years (family has alums from Duke, MSU, Indiana, UVA, and Kansas) and your fans are always pleasant. Good luck against Bucky!

uh_no
04-05-2015, 10:34 AM
I told my son just before tipoff that Coach K needed to play all 8 guys as he had done throughout the tourney. I was concerned that he might shorten his bench. I believe we may have extended the lead with Oak and Winslow on the bench. What a luxury to have guys like Plumlee and Jefferson who know their roles--they are unsung heroes. And the choirboy? He keeps getting better and better. He is one aggressive dude for a freshman--not afraid to drive against the bigs, pull up for a long J, or (my favorite) dive for a loose ball.

or alley-oop to himself!

CDu
04-05-2015, 10:41 AM

And they lost to a much better, more talented 1 seed (arguably one of the most talented teams of the last 20 years).

superdave
04-05-2015, 10:47 AM

If this game were closer, Coach K would have had a very short bench. It will likely be shorter on Monday. I'd expect Grayson and Marshall to get 2-3 first half minutes then maybe none in the second half. I hope we're up big and that's not the case again though.

Les Grossman
04-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Not because we go to the FF every year, but because when we do, what a fun ride it is!

It just occurred to me this morning that tomorrow night is the last game as a Blue Devil we will watch Quinn Cook play. He has been a delight to watch for 4 years, and is a shoe-in for my Favorite Blue Devils list. Thanks Quinn!

Les Grossman
04-05-2015, 10:52 AM
If this game were closer, Coach K would have had a very short bench. It will likely be shorter on Monday. I'd expect Grayson and Marshall to get 2-3 first half minutes then maybe none in the second half. I hope we're up big and that's not the case again though.

We are going to need lots of minutes from MP3 and/or Amile, to Keep Frank Kominsky from going off from medium and long range (where, I assume, Okafor will not follow him).

And Grayon has to be ready to play significant minutes, as it is going to take a big time defensive effort to contain Decker--and fouls will surely follow.

I think we will win, but all 8 will have to be involved

superdave
04-05-2015, 11:01 AM
I am going to have to re-watch this game, maybe tonight. But the thing that won this was that we had an athletic or size, or quickness advantage at every position and when you play hard, with abandon, it is just too much for 99% of college teams to overcome. We had NBA talent out there going all out. That is something special.

If we play with the same speed and abandon vs Wisconsin then we should be in good shape. It will also help to hit some 3s and throw some defensive curveballs at Dekker and Kaminsky.

But we are The Hot Team in the tournament and it is all on the defensive end. We're now #12 in AdjD on KenPom. That improvement each and every game over this tournament is special. It's banner-worthy. One more game to go.

superdave
04-05-2015, 11:04 AM
We are going to need lots of minutes from MP3 and/or Amile, to Keep Frank Kominsky from going off from medium and long range (where, I assume, Okafor will not follow him).

And Grayon has to be ready to play significant minutes, as it is going to take a big time defensive effort to contain Decker--and fouls will surely follow.

I think we will win, but all 8 will have to be involved

I would much rather play really good help D on Dekker and Kaminsky so they cannot operate inside. Push them outside and make them one dimensional jump shooters. I think when they are catching and scoring on the move it has your defense on its heels. Not good. Pack it in and make them shoot long 2s, but don't let them drive or have anything clean inside. At least that's my thought. Might need to re-read the post-game thread from December.

91_92_01_10_15
04-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Spartan here checking in to say congrats. Your team played one hell of a game. We just looked totally unprepared for the trapping and the press. Your guys were flying around on defense like their lives depended on it. I have been to many Duke games over the years (family has alums from Duke, MSU, Indiana, UVA, and Kansas) and your fans are always pleasant. Good luck against Bucky!

Thanks for your gracious first post. Welcome.

Congratulations on a great season.

Saratoga2
04-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Congratulations to Duke University, its coaches and players for playing their best basketball when it counts most. This was another team win with contributions coming from all the players including the bencxh. Coach K mixed up his defenses when needed and substituted to avoid having our players foul out. MP3 and Okafor player together when both Justise and Amile were getting into foul trouble. That is his fall back position and he may use it against Wisconsin. Congratulations also to Quinn for being the leader this team needs. The improvement in defense starts with him. Its nice to see clean programs continue into the final game.

Wisconsin also deserves congratulations for their hard fought win over a talented but petulant Kentucky team. They had no McDonald's all Americans but Bo Ryan has developed them into a cohesive and effective unit. It will be and honor to meet them in the finals, just so we don't have to listen to the overblown hype of Kentucky, who showed they were beatable against ND and then fell to this good Wisconsin team.

Negatives go to the media, who fawned over Kentucky and Calipari, making them the greatest team ever (didn't last long) and him a great coach (his moves in the game weren't all that smart), when Kentucky hadn't really met a top ten foe. I am still suspicious about Kentucky recruiting as it seems unbelieveable that any team could get so many top recruits without some sleight of hand.

Duke/MSU Game:
Duke lost the opening tip (almost always) and then were flummoxed for the first couple of minutes, not getting back into their defense and facing MSU quicky. Coach K reminded the team that they needed to play defense and like night and day, MSU offense became ineffective. Meanwhile it was clear that Duke was going inside at every opportunity and either drawing fouls or getting the ball into Jahlil. This approach began putting the MSU bigs into foul trouble. We also started to have foul trouble for Justise, then Amile and Quinn, so Coach K went zone for a while and put in a two big lineup of MP3 and Jahlil and that proved effective. Grayson was used freely as well and it is clear that he is our 5th or 6th offensive threat depending on how you look at it.

When we went to a slowdown with at least 8 1/2 minutes left I said oh no, we want to make this a close game. Our lead dropped by 7 points in a couple of minutes. Fortunately, we got back to scoring and the lead started rising again.

Against Wisconsin:
I think the odds will line up around 50/50. Wisconsin is bigger at every position and plays excellent team ball. Low turnovers, good rebounding and good foul shooting. While smaller, Duke is also quicker and we can score from all positions. Our defense appears to be even better than Wisconsins, which is good. It will be a great game and it is an honor to play against a clean program with such a solid team.

MarkD83
04-05-2015, 12:04 PM

And part of what I love about how well this team is doing is that they have a short bench with everyone knowing their role.

In fact since this is the LAST NCAA Men's BBall Game for 2014-15 and Duke is playing in it...I don't care if K plays 5 guys for 40 mins as long as it works.

roywhite
04-05-2015, 12:59 PM

I think Grayson has become part of the game plan. He had 10 minutes in the first half and 17 minutes overall, contributing 9 points, 5 rebounds, defensive pressure, and all-around hustle.

I like the idea of using him liberally to keep up perimeter defensive pressure, and be able to drive on offense. Could be an important contributor Monday.

Henderson
04-05-2015, 01:07 PM
I think Grayson has become part of the game plan. He had 10 minutes in the first half and 17 minutes overall, contributing 9 points, 5 rebounds, defensive pressure, and all-around hustle.

I like the idea of using him liberally to keep up perimeter defensive pressure, and be able to drive on offense. Could be an important contributor Monday.

I do like the fact that Bo Ryan will have to say to his team at some point, "And if Grayson Allen is playing, you do this and that; here's what he likes to do; here are his tendencies."

Give 'em lots to game plan around.

Utley
04-05-2015, 01:08 PM
We were spitting next to Mike Lupica and his sons last night. He went down to the court area early in the game and came back with about 15 minutes left. He said you would need believe the intensity at which Duke was playing defense and that he couldn't see the. Losing if they could maintain that level.

Not surprisingly this was a great call - after the initial Spart barrage they only scored what feels like 10 or so points during the rest of the first half.

BlueTeuf
04-05-2015, 01:19 PM
To stem off fatigue - with its many repercussions.

My theory is that, on average, freshman don't have the endurance of upperclassmen - a year experience elevates youthful understanding and an off-season is a key asset in progressing to the next fitness level. The bigger the player - the more accurate my observation.

A deeper rotation is a needed for a freshman-laden team.

DukeDevil
04-05-2015, 01:27 PM
or alley-oop to himself!

Does that count as a rebound and an assist?

uh_no
04-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Does that count as a rebound and an assist?

i'd imagine a rebound...though he should get both!

the thing i can't understand having watched the play multiple times is what happened to the guy guarding grayson after the three pointer??? it almost looked like he went to go inbound the ball, thinking it was going in.

either way, good on marshall for setting a screen on the entire MSU team to keep the lane clear.

DukeDevil
04-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Also...what was with Okafor's fastball passes? holy heater batman!

MChambers
04-05-2015, 02:02 PM
We were spitting next to Mike Lupica and his sons last night. He went down to the court area early in the game and came back with about 15 minutes left. He said you would need believe the intensity at which Duke was playing defense and that he couldn't see the. Losing if they could maintain that level.
Were you within spitting distance of the court?

Henderson
04-05-2015, 02:27 PM

Not surprisingly this was a great call - after the initial Spart barrage they only scored what feels like 10 or so points during the rest of the first half.

Were you within spitting distance of the court?

Actively apparently. But the dude's a fan. Go Utley!

Newton_14
04-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Awesome awesome awesome!! I am so stoked for these guys to be playing for the Freakin National Championship on Monday! Win or lose, how great is that? We have a chance to win the title which at the beginning of the season is all you can ask for.

Few thoughts on the game itself.

K was awesome. He has coached so well this year it's hard to quantify it. Seriously.

The first thing that jumps out at me from the game plan, was the very obvious plan to drive to the basket hard from the wings and down the middle of the lane to either draw the foul, score, or both. This was huge in leading to the win. All of Tyus, Quinn, Justise, Matt, and Grayson, were obviously told to take your man to the rack off the bounce at every single opportunity. Not sure what K and staff saw on tape in scouting but they saw something. It worked beautifully. We got tons of points via finishing or going the line from that part of the game plan. Having 5 guys that can do it effectively certainly helps. Well done K. That was brilliant.
Digging down, helping in the post when Dawson (mainly) had post catches. This went above and beyond normal help defense. Every time Dawson caught it down low he was swarmed from a guard helping and sometimes the other big helped from the weakside as well. That was very disruptive, and led to either direct steals, kickouts, or missed shot attempts. Again brilliant.
The myriad of ways/methods used to get Jahlil touches. I saw sets we had not seen all year. Post entries from the top of the key seemed to confuse Mich St and led to 3 or 4 of Jahlil's scores including one key And-1 bucket, but if you watch the tape, we used various wrinkles to get Jahlil the ball using both sides of the court from baseline to top of the key. Very effective.

Overall defense. After we got up off the floor from the 14-6 punch in the mouth, the defense clamped down in a serious way. We got stop after stop after stop, and were it for not wasting several offensive possessions with bad shots, we would have been up 15+ at halftime. I thought Mich St was very fortunate to not be totally buried by halftime even with the 14-6 head start. The defense though, was just beautiful to watch.
Bench play. We rode our bench hard last night, partly due to early foul trouble, and partly due to how well they played. I though Grayson looked more comfortable than he had all season, which is amazing given the stage of a Final Four. He played outstanding basketball on both ends. Future star. Amile and MP3 though, both had strong games. There was just about no drop off when any or all of those 3 guys came in. It may have been the best the bench has played all tourney long, again on the biggest of stages.
Overall offense. 81 points with only 2 made 3 pointers, and after a very slow start with only 6 points in like the first 4 minutes, is darn strong. And that's after going to the stall with 8 minutes to go. Even more amazing.

On to the title game! Wisconsin will be a very formidable opponent. My hope is that they won their National Championship last night, and can't get back up to the level they need to beat Duke. They did a lot of celebrating on the floor and in the locker room. Maybe it doesn't hurt them, but maybe it does.

Awesome game! Going to play for it all Monday Night! Good times!! Go Duke!!

OldPhiKap
04-05-2015, 02:43 PM

K sad that Grayson is our best driver of the ball. When asked about the bench (which included Okafor at the time) going nuts with Grayson's rebound/jam, K said the kids are happy even though Grayson can do something better than they can. Pretty strong endorsement.

Grayson wasn't in to fill time. K decided we needed to drive after the first four minutes, and Grayson played big minutes n that stretch thereafter.

Marshall also had big minutes. Amile played great.

Eight guys, all needed and contributed.

Newton_14
04-05-2015, 02:58 PM

A sincere thanks for dropping in to post after a tough loss. Congrats on making it to the Final Four, especially doing so as a 7 Seed. You guys beat a really good UVA team to get there. Most of us here are Sparty admirer's, and have much respect for Izzo and the program.

Come back anytime during the basketball season to talk hoops. We enjoy having fans of other schools come here to discuss hoops, give us a different perspective, and keep us from drinking too much of our Duke Blue Kool-Aid! Having a Big 10 voice here would be great.

thanks again!

Duke fans, give this man some trident points!

OldPhiKap
04-05-2015, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the classy post, please visit again. We enjoy discussions with good posters from many schools. Mad props to what y'all did this year.

CDu
04-06-2015, 09:38 AM

Yup. Going into the game, I thought Coach K would go to a 6.5 man rotation like he usually does in big games). I have never been happier to be wrong, as Allen played significant minutes (and played well).

I think tonight's game is one where we need to punish their guards. Wisconsin should be a push (or worse) in the frontcourt matchups (due to their length and versatility), but we should have a big edge at guard. We should look to drive and put Kaminsky in a position to either foul the driver or give up layups.

peterjswift
04-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Five years ago, the day of the final four, my old-school 56" rear projection TV failed on me...and I bought a brand new flat-screen tv to replace it to make sure I could see the game (and I made my inaugural post on DBR about it (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?20481-MBB-Duke-WVU-Pre-Game-and-In-Game-Thread&p=390534#post390534)).

Clearly the struggles I had with my tv that day contributed toward a good win for Duke against WVU, and a good ending to the season days later.

This year wasn't quite as pronounced, but I recently took a new job as a camp director at a small residential camp in PA, and as a result, my family moved to the camp last week. There's no cable at the camp, so we cancelled our cable to eliminate that unnecessary expense - not realizing this would eliminate our access to xfinity's streaming services. I spent thursday and friday trying to find an alternative - finally went with "SlingTV" - only to realize that I didn't have a working HDMI cable to get the stream from my laptop to TV. Fast forward a few hours, and I managed to get some VGA cables connected and we were able to successfully watch Duke beat MSU (with only a few interruptions). It wasn't nearly the struggle as 2010...but it did seem eerily familiar. Thankfully, the result was the same. Hopefully the season ends similarly.

Now I just need to figure out how to watch CBS online tonight....

gus
04-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Five years ago, the day of the final four, my old-school 56" rear projection TV failed on me...and I bought a brand new flat-screen tv to replace it to make sure I could see the game (and I made my inaugural post on DBR about it (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?20481-MBB-Duke-WVU-Pre-Game-and-In-Game-Thread&p=390534#post390534)).

Clearly the struggles I had with my tv that day contributed toward a good win for Duke against WVU, and a good ending to the season days later.

This year wasn't quite as pronounced, but I recently took a new job as a camp director at a small residential camp in PA, and as a result, my family moved to the camp last week. There's no cable at the camp, so we cancelled our cable to eliminate that unnecessary expense - not realizing this would eliminate our access to xfinity's streaming services. I spent thursday and friday trying to find an alternative - finally went with "SlingTV" - only to realize that I didn't have a working HDMI cable to get the stream from my laptop to TV. Fast forward a few hours, and I managed to get some VGA cables connected and we were able to successfully watch Duke beat MSU (with only a few interruptions). It wasn't nearly the struggle as 2010...but it did seem eerily familiar. Thankfully, the result was the same. Hopefully the season ends similarly.

Now I just need to figure out how to watch CBS online tonight....

if you have an ipad or some such device, there is an NCAA streaming app. I had to rely on that on Saturday when SlingTV utterly failed to stream the game.

Henderson
04-06-2015, 11:53 AM
if you have an ipad or some such device, there is an NCAA streaming app. I had to rely on that on Saturday when SlingTV utterly failed to stream the game.

Do you have a link to the NCAA stream that is ipad friendly? Does it require a subscription to a TV cable package?

peterjswift
04-06-2015, 12:00 PM

I have the NCAA app on my ipad, so I can stream it, but it isn't chromecast friendly. I was hoping to find something I could use to connect to my tv. SlingTV doesn't do any of the major networks, so CBS isn't even an option.

I think the firstworldproblems hashtag definitely applies here. If the worst thing that happens to me today is that I have to watch the game on my ipad instead of on my tv....well, then today was a pretty good day.

Actually - this isn't entirely correct. The NCAA app on my ipad wouldn't load the game(s) saturday night (I tried just to see), because it said I didn't have the right cable package. I think it might require a cable package.

However, the NCAA.com site did work on my laptop, but I understand there might be a limit to how many hours you can stream on a computer on there.

peterjswift
04-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Do you have a link to the NCAA stream that is ipad friendly? Does it require a subscription to a TV cable package?

I think I figured this out:

How do I know how much time I have remaining during my preview period?
When you are watching live video, you will receive alerts reminding you to log in for unlimited access for all games. Live games broadcast on CBS do not require login.

This is from the NCAA.com streaming site FAQ. So it sounds like you do NOT have to be logged in to a cable provider to watch the National Championship. And the games on Saturday were on TBS, which is probably why the app wouldn't let me watch.

So - the NCAA.com app or website should work just fine for tonight's game, without any cable TV package.

Native
04-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Five years ago, the day of the final four, my old-school 56" rear projection TV failed on me...and I bought a brand new flat-screen tv to replace it to make sure I could see the game (and I made my inaugural post on DBR about it (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?20481-MBB-Duke-WVU-Pre-Game-and-In-Game-Thread&p=390534#post390534)). Clearly the struggles I had with my tv that day contributed toward a good win for Duke against WVU, and a good ending to the season days later.

I think you should go buy a new flat-screen.

gus
04-06-2015, 12:19 PM

I just did a search in the app store for "NCAA".

I don't think any subscriptions (or borrowed passwords) were necessary.

peterjswift
04-06-2015, 01:29 PM
I think you should go buy a new flat-screen.

I'm happy to. Maybe fellow DBR posters can fund that venture. If everyone chips in $20, I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Henderson
04-06-2015, 02:02 PM
I just did a search in the app store for "NCAA".

I don't think any subscriptions (or borrowed passwords) were necessary.

Sorry, which app? I'd have queried you by PM, but I thought others might be interested too.

peterjswift
04-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Sorry, which app? I'd have queried you by PM, but I thought others might be interested too.

Follow the links to the various app stores from: http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live

It is called "March Madness Live" - in the bottom left-hand corner of the page there are links to the itunes, google play and windows app stores.