PDA

View Full Version : Off the ball?

freshmanjs
04-04-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm sure there is a reason why this is a silly question, but I keep wondering. In late game situations, when teams are fouling intentionally, why do they always foul the guy with the ball? Why not foul off the ball? Even if the ball is Quinn's hand, why don't they foul someone else?

Henderson
04-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm sure there is a reason why this is a silly question, but I keep wondering. In late game situations, when teams are fouling intentionally, why do they always foul the guy with the ball? Why not foul off the ball? Even if the ball is Quinn's hand, why don't they foul someone else?

1. Because that's not where the attention of referees is focused and therefore might not be called.

2. Because if a player fouls hard enough off the ball to draw the attention of referees, it risks being called for what it is.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Because recently, in the last minute or two when we're nursing a small lead, Jah is on the bench when we're on defense. If they foul him there we'll retain possession after the "T".

:)

CR9
04-04-2015, 05:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack-a-Shaq#Wilt_Chamberlain_and_the_off-the-ball_foul_rule

The NBA decided to address this undesirable situation by instituting a new rule regarding off-the-ball fouls—that is, committing a personal foul against an offensive player who neither has the ball nor is making an effort to obtain it. The new rule stated that if the defensive team commits an off-the-ball foul within the last two minutes of the game, the offensive team would be allowed to keep possession of the ball after the awarding of either one or two free throws.

I know it addresses the NBA rule but I believe it to applicable to the collegiate game as well.

53n206
04-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Because recently, in the last minute or two when we're nursing a small lead, Jah is on the bench when we're on defense. If they foul him there we'll retain possession after the "T".

:)

OZZIE, you should be ashamed. I hope your mother doesn't see your note. It was a good question. I know because I was wondering the same thing.

captmojo
04-06-2015, 09:17 AM
OZZIE, you should be ashamed. I hope your mother doesn't see your note. It was a good question. I know because I was wondering the same thing.

I gotta side with Ozzie on this one.

One smartalec salutes another. :D

Henderson
04-06-2015, 09:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack-a-Shaq#Wilt_Chamberlain_and_the_off-the-ball_foul_rule

I know it addresses the NBA rule but I believe it to applicable to the collegiate game as well.

Here's a link to the entire NCAA rulebook, which is slightly different on this point.

https://www.southern.edu/intramurals/Documents/BR15.pdf

Rule 4, Article 2.c.4 makes it a Flagrant 1 for a player to foul a player (not directly involved in the play) off the ball for the purpose of stopping the clock.

That doesn't mean it'll be noticed or called a Flagrant 1 by the official, but it's a mighty big risk to take in an end-of-game situation.

gus
04-06-2015, 09:51 AM
I thought this was going to be about Trice.