PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kane revives Rasheed Sulaimon with new non-story

Olympic Fan
04-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Dan Kane, the first-rate investigative reporter for the Raleigh N&O, just posted a story on the paper's website about the mystery of the Rasheed Sulaimon dismissal:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article17332781.html

I was worried to learn earlier in the week that Kane was working the story. But his story is nothing -- a fair, but bland summary of the story that frankly admits that there is no evidence to explain Sulaimon's dismissal. Was it because of the rumors (not even formal allegations) of sexual assault? Was it because of his internal behavior on the team? Kane doesn't have a clue and adds nothing new to either theory.

The only thing new is a tidbit that Sulaimon helped get the Durham nightclub Shooters II to open for a party to celebrate Coach K's 1,000th win. It's a nice color item, but I don't see how it adds anything to the core story.

cspan37421
04-03-2015, 11:38 PM
The only thing new is a tidbit that Sulaimon helped get the Durham nightclub Shooters II to open for a party to celebrate Coach K's 1,000th win. It's a nice color item, but I don't see how it adds anything to the core story.

Did you read further - potential (minor) NCAA violation? An extra benefit that other students might not get (getting the club to open, and lose money on a party)? What if that extra benefit was later found/judged to mean ineligibility? You couldn't play him again without risking a later forfeit. Perhaps that's an unlikely worst-case scenario for a "minor" violation, but unless it's deemed impossible to be judged that way, I don't know how take the chance of jeopardizing the team's season.

I suppose an indefinite suspension might have covered this base - so who knows what other factors were weighed. In any case, I do tend to agree - Kane would have done better to wait until he had something more definitive to write. Putting this scintilla of info out now is very suspicious timing.

Edit: re-reading Kane's story, I recognized he talked to anonymous "experts" who questioned whether even a one-game suspension would be imposed even if it were deemed to be an extra benefit. So I am closer to your feeling that it's a non-story. It's just that when you're dealing with potential violations, you gotta treat them as kryptonite.

Furniture
04-03-2015, 11:54 PM
The story is so nothing I don't know why it's on this forum. If it wasn't for this post I would have never even seen it......