PDA

View Full Version : Summer intern housing in DC

BlueTeuf
04-02-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm looking for any ideas/experience.

Our son will need summer housing as an intern in DC from second week of May through mid-August. He won't have a car - and he doesn't have any classmates headed there. I've looked around on the internet and initially was drawn to the GWU/Catholic U/American U's summer housing options - but they open too late and close too early. Price matters - but we've reconciled ourselves to it being more expensive than we expected.

Anybody done this recently - themselves or an offspring?

DST Fan
04-03-2015, 02:35 PM
I have no experience with Washington Intern Student Housing (WISH), but I have noticed the group's office during my travels on Capitol Hill the past few years.

http://internsdc.com/

BlueTeuf
04-03-2015, 05:32 PM
I have no experience with Washington Intern Student Housing (WISH), but I have noticed the group's office during my travels on Capitol Hill the past few years.

http://internsdc.com/

Thanks! We've looked through their website - would love to hear if anybody has any personal experience. They do have a session that covers the window, but the $4,600 for a double has us continuing to look for additional options.

DukeHoo
04-04-2015, 11:06 AM
I live near Washington DC. My advice is to look at Craigslist's house page (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/sub) or to simply ask around if your son knows people in the DC Metro area. There's a regular cycle of students and interns coming and going, so there should be someone looking to sublet an apartment during the summer. The issue is that this is mostly a secondary market, so you're going to poke around.

If your son isn't bringing a car, he will also need something Metro (the subway system) adjacent. Since Metro goes out into the surrounding suburbs, your son can also look there for housing there. Arlington, Alexandria, Tyson's Corner, Bethesda, Rockville, and Silver Spring all have apartment complexes close to Metro stations, and they are likely cheaper than many locations in the city itself. The commute will be a little longer, but that's not a huge deal depending on where he's working in the city. Your son will likely want to acquaint himself with the Metro lines in order to figure out the best place to look (which has the added benefit of narrowing the search a bit).

As an added bit of advice, I also think he should get a SmartCard for use on the Metro and MetroBuses. These are reusable plastic cards, and Metro provides a fare discount for using them (about $1 less per trip).

Jim3k
04-05-2015, 02:57 AM
I'm looking for any ideas/experience.

Our son will need summer housing as an intern in DC from second week of May through mid-August. He won't have a car - and he doesn't have any classmates headed there. I've looked around on the internet and initially was drawn to the GWU/Catholic U/American U's summer housing options - but they open too late and close too early. Price matters - but we've reconciled ourselves to it being more expensive than we expected.

Anybody done this recently - themselves or an offspring?

Not recent, but my son's college had a housing arrangement at a complex known as Meridian at Courthuse Common II in Arlington--Metro stop nearby. Check your PM.

duketaylor
04-05-2015, 02:31 PM
My daughter is a senior at GW, and has worked for GW Housing previously and will again this summer. She may be able to provide some advice, please PM me and I'll forward her contact info to you.

GO DUKE!!!! BEAT WISKY!!!!