PDA

View Full Version : LOVE this Duke team because... (updated with WRAL Mandy Mitchell Story)

NancyCarol
04-02-2015, 09:36 AM
They FINISH. They never give up.

I'm sure you have your reasons too and thought it would be fun to "hear" them all. Look, I'm getting so excited for the game and trying to avoid being neurotic lol. Help me out. What are your reasons?

conmanlhughes
04-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Pretty similar to your reason, but I love the swagger and fight this team displays. In recent weeks, I love the tenacious defense we have been playing. I also believe that Justise brings something different to this team that we have been lacking recently, and has now pushed us to the final weekend.

roywhite
04-02-2015, 09:49 AM
I love this team because of their togetherness, their clutch play down the stretch, the unusually strong bond they have with their coach, the joy they exhibit, and the electrifying play in particular of Justise Winslow.

elvis14
04-02-2015, 10:21 AM
I love this team because of their togetherness, their clutch play down the stretch, the unusually strong bond they have with their coach, the joy they exhibit, and the electrifying play in particular of Justise Winslow.

Very well said Roy. It's easy to like a winner. And I admit that I like this team a lot because they have been so successful and I'm so happy and proud that they have made the final four. But what sets them apart is what roywhite says. It's how they go about playing, showing closeness, having fun, bringing out the best in Coach K, etc.

Billy Dat
04-02-2015, 10:27 AM
They FINISH. They never give up.

I agree but I'll tease it out a little more to put a fine point on it:

-They FINISH
I agree with this. With the exception of the away loss at ND, we didn't cough up and leads that we should have held. All our other losses involved being down early and not making it all the way back.

-They never give up
This has been true of a bunch of Duke teams, but the exception this year is...

-They showed an amazing ability to stage dramatic comebacks
...this team actually pulled off a bunch of insane come from behind wins - St. Johns, UVA, UNC, etc.

Finally, I love our versatility on both end. On offense, we have a dominant inside presence, effective slashers and solid 3 point shooting, plus we are lethal in transition. On defense, we have regained our man to man strength but also have the zone options and press options to add to the mix. We have shown an ability to play big or small. We can really morph depending on what the opposition throws at us, and can create unpredictable gameplans.

Clay Feet POF
04-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Because all our players are getting meaningful minutes. there seems to be a real sense of camaraderie.. Coach K like to talks about turning the hand into a Fist, and when All players have real game minutes,I think you end up with TWO fists. This team allows him to do that.

Lid
04-02-2015, 10:29 AM
With the caveat that I obviously don't really know what they're thinking, they seem like they truly enjoy playing basketball, and enjoy playing it together. I especially love that they've continued to improve all year. As a fan, that's what makes it fun for me -- watching them click and grow, vs. peaking early and then trying to hold on as challengers mount.

Pursue vs. defend, and have fun doing it.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
04-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Because they are 2 games away from a national title and this is a season no one will forget!!!! LETS GO DUKE

NYBri
04-02-2015, 10:48 AM
That the team is a real team in every sense of the word.

Other years, watching Duke has been watching 1, 2, or 3 players do their thing while the others are there to support them and ended up standing around too much. (see Jabari's team) This year, I'm watching all 8 play as a team.

Had a call from a fellow Duke alum friend who made the observation that for the first time in a long while, he isn't nervous with the ball in anyone's hand. He said that even with MP3, they have learned not to put it in his hands when he can't do something good with it. I agreed, except for when Matt looks to drive into the clogged middle...his response was, "Gonzaga." Point made.

flyingdutchdevil
04-02-2015, 12:01 PM
...of Quinn Cook. Talent is a great thing to have, but so is leadership and personality.

Krzyzewskiville33
04-02-2015, 12:18 PM
I like this team because you never know who is going to take the lead on any given game. I mean the tenacity and hustle of guys like Winslow and Cook are definitely always going to be there but in terms of scoring production it's wide open. Jones, Jones, Cook, Winslow, Okafor, and even Allen have all had a chance to lead the team in scoring on a given night and it is very pleasant to see. In past years, with Jabari or Kyrie (when healthy) you had one or two guys who truly had a chance to lead the team in scoring on a given night and if they were off we didn't have the other guys around to step up. This team is complete and well rounded and that has made it a real pleasure to watch in my opinion.

captmojo
04-02-2015, 12:25 PM
It's because of watching this group's growth and steady improvement in the sport.
Where there have come to, from where they started.
The interaction between the older, experienced players and their younger team mates.

That's enough. I could go on.

Newton_14
04-02-2015, 08:50 PM
It's because of watching this group's growth and steady improvement in the sport.
Where there have come to, from where they started.
The interaction between the older, experienced players and their younger team mates.

That's enough. I could go on.

I'll add one and it will sound corny... but... one of the reasons I love this team is watching how the 3 star freshman (as well as the upperclassmen for that matter) get great joy by seeing Grayson succeed on the court. The love and camaraderie between the 4 freshmen is real. The 3 stars have every reason to be arrogant, and treat Grayson like a sub, but they treat him like a brother in arms, and show respect for his talent even though Grayson wasn't as ready for primetime as they were. They go nuts when Grayson makes a play which is why even though I sat out the argument, I agree with those who felt Grayson gave the team a spark off the bench in the SDSU game during that key run, despite not having stats.

I think their collective attitudes toward Grayson has helped him progress, and very likely has taken some of the pressure off of Grayson when he gets in games.

It has been fun to watch.

Justise Winslow has also been very fun to watch. Stone Cold Assassin, tough as nails. Singler would have loved playing with this kid. Hope he sticks around for one more season. Special player.

jv001
04-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Most everything has been said as to why I love this team, but I'll throw out one more. I love how Coach K has coached this team. All type zone defenses, improving our man to man defense, running an offense that get's everyone involved and how the coaching staff has seemed to improve Jahlil's defense. What a great season and what a great bunch of young men. Let's win two more. GoDuke!

MarkD83
04-02-2015, 09:04 PM
My comments echo a lot of previous comments but I summarize them in a different way.

Everyone on the team has "unpacked their bags" and is fully committed to THIS YEARS team. I give a lot of credit to Quin, but all of the freshman also deserve credit. Finally, Coach K deserves a lot of credit. This year I have seen the Coach K of old who is demanding great defense, but he is also the new Coach K who is now using all of the things he learned with USA basketball.

This all means that in the past few weeks I am starting to see the Duke of old when "Duke Defense" won games and Duke won the games that are close at the end (even though we all run to the medicine cabinet for tums when K goes to stall ball).

Turk
04-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Even alleged Duke hater Bill Simmons' lackeys at Grantland are showing the love:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/adjvjslacjskclklkxlc-learning-to-love-duke-basketball/

I wonder how Coach Vitale would pronounce the word "adjvjslacjskclklkxlc"??

flyingdutchdevil
04-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Even alleged Duke hater Bill Simmons' lackeys at Grantland are showing the love:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/adjvjslacjskclklkxlc-learning-to-love-duke-basketball/

Not sure, but it would probably sound like "sensational" or "scintillating" to our ears.

moonpie23
04-03-2015, 02:12 PM
they have checked their egos at the door (notice i didin't say SWAGGER)

these guys want to win......as a team......

one of my all time fav duke teams.. :cool:

revmel53
04-03-2015, 04:19 PM
It's a team first, from Quinn relinquishing point guard control to Tyus without anger or resentment, to the group pulling for each other (the other night when Tyus threw the ball off the Gonzaga player as he lay on the court out of bounds, Justice leaped almost from down under the court onto the court in excitement), to a present lack of internal competition (haven't heard anything about Justice being upset that Tyus won the Regional MVP award though to me Justice played head and shoulders above anybody); and it's a team with a heart, that just doesn't accept losing (I love the look on Tyus' face when the game is on the line and he has the ball). We will be talking about this TEAM for a long time, regardless of the outcome of this weekend's Final Four.

anonj
04-03-2015, 05:13 PM

Came here to post the same article but you beat me to it. It was refreshing to read and loved the overall tone of it. Hate him if you want, but you should really enjoy this particular team.

BrazyATX
04-03-2015, 05:20 PM
.... they represent the school and their coach in a great way, above what is to be expected.

.... they have a character. A personality that us as fans can enjoy. I think this has been lacking for a few years now, back to around 11-12 season.

.... they have a lone senior leader who we've had the opportunity to watch grow into a man, and go on to have an outstanding final season.

.... they have 4 freshman that don't seem to be selfish, who embrace Coach's teachings and drive for overall improvement and who respect greatly the leadership of the aforementioned lone senior.

.... each and every player is relatable and comparable to previous players who had great success at Duke and some beyond.

.... there are so many parallels to the 2010 darling championship team.

.... they are winners.

SoCalDukeFan
04-04-2015, 02:07 AM
First of all they got to the Final Four. After the Rivers year and the Parker year and then losing in the first round, getting to the Final Four makes me love this team.

Plays as a team. I think Coach K and staff are trying to get the best out of the team and not just the best out of the best players.

Fun to watch. From Winston on the solo break to Quinn's 3 pointers, this is a fun team to watch.

And you gotta love the improvement in the defense.

SoCal

gwlaw99
04-04-2015, 02:53 AM
All the things that have been said before. I love how this team has grown defensively. It has been quite some time since we had a really good defensive team. This team started out an average team, but has clearly worked really hard on defense and it is paying off.

NSDukeFan
04-04-2015, 07:06 AM
First of all they got to the Final Four. After the Rivers year and the Parker year and then losing in the first round, getting to the Final Four makes me love this team.

Plays as a team. I think Coach K and staff are trying to get the best out of the team and not just the best out of the best players.

Fun to watch. From Winston on the solo break to Quinn's 3 pointers, this is a fun team to watch.

And you gotta love the improvement in the defense.

SoCal

What's more fun? Winslow on the break looking smooth dribbling up the floor before Euro stepping offensively or gliding back defensively, sizing up his prey before erasing his opponent's shot?

MarkD83
04-04-2015, 08:35 AM
It is April and they are still playing!!!!!!!!!!

Go Duke!!!!!!!

Yes, I am screaming but not too loudly because there are other people still asleep in my house.

Utley
04-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Duke teams with a great point guard are a thing of beauty - especially one that keeps us aggressive by pushing the ball

These kids are charismatic - they look cool - they play cool - most likeable team maybe ever. They also really seem like class acts who really love each other

They have provided so many wonderful memories - I was in person for both the 1k and UNC home which are among my favorite live wins. I'm hoping they have a few more to come

They are undeterred by adversity on and off the court

Coach K loves them - he has a bounce in his step and a sense that he could get #5

They made it to the Final 4 - God I treasure everyone of these rides

They are the kind if really friggin good you rarely get to enjoy and need to savor every moment

Let's Go Duke!

-bdbd
04-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Heart!!!

They have it. :D

Henderson
04-04-2015, 12:14 PM
For them, I love the love they seem genuinely to feel for each other.

For me, I love the optimism they've given me all year.

And props to the OP for starting this thread.

NancyCarol
04-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the great replies. I'm soooooooooooo excited for today's game. Go Duke.

Duke76
04-04-2015, 12:25 PM
For them, I love the love they seem genuinely to feel for each other.

For me, I love the optimism they've given me all year.

And props to the OP for starting this thread.

because they bring me to tears of joy

Tripping William
04-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I have often heard coaches talk about the importance of getting a team to "gel." As I think about it, perhaps the thing I love most about this team is how obviously they have gelled. That was not a given, with these component parts, but seeing the increased synergy as the year has progressed (and, yes, especially after the turmoil following the first loss to Notre Dame) has been beautiful to watch.

I want to see two more games from this really fun team!

YmoBeThere
04-04-2015, 08:43 PM
They keep getting better with each game!

PhillyDuke
04-05-2015, 02:29 AM
Because they're flippin fighters...they fight like the DUKE teams of old!!!!

TruBlu
04-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Because they're flippin fighters...they fight like the DUKE teams of old!!!!

Amen. (If by "teams of old" you mean 2010.)

DukeDevil
04-05-2015, 09:20 AM
It is April and they are still playing!!!!!!!!!!

Go Duke!!!!!!!

Yes, I am screaming but not too loudly because there are other people still asleep in my house.

It's April, fools! Wooooo!
I love so many things about this Duke team, at the moment I love that they let me enjoy a semi final game with little to no stress after the first 4 minutes.

Newton_14
04-06-2015, 10:50 AM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/what-i-ve-learned-after-3-weeks-with-duke/14561725/

Good story by WRAL Sports Anchor Mandy Mitchell who has been with our Blue Devils covering them throughout the entire tourney. Some really good commentary here and a few inside tid bits. My favorite? Jahlil and Quinn room together on road trips. After Quinn falls asleep, Jahlil unplugs Quinn's phone so the battery will be dead when he wakes up the next morning! :)

Also she speaks to her sense that there is no entitlement or sense of privilege with this group. Awesome to have a sports journalist make that statement!

Enjoy!

Go Duke!

Tom B.
04-06-2015, 02:18 PM

I think that's how you spell Bill Raftery's pronunciation of "man to man."

NancyCarol
04-06-2015, 04:25 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/what-i-ve-learned-after-3-weeks-with-duke/14561725/

Good story by WRAL Sports Anchor Mandy Mitchell who has been with our Blue Devils covering them throughout the entire tourney. Some really good commentary here and a few inside tid bits. My favorite? Jahlil and Quinn room together on road trips. After Quinn falls asleep, Jahlil unplugs Quinn's phone so the battery will be dead when he wakes up the next morning! :)

Also she speaks to her sense that there is no entitlement or sense of privilege with this group. Awesome to have a sports journalist make that statement!

Enjoy!

Go Duke!

I have career envy.