PDA

View Full Version : Noose Found In Tree Outside Bryan Center - Uggh

Newton_14
04-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Why oh why do people do things like this? Shaking My Head... Surely this was not the act of a Duke student?

http://www.wral.com/investigation-underway-after-noose-found-on-duke-campus/14553047/

Duvall
04-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Surely this was not the act of a Duke student?

Considering recent events on college campuses, that seems optimistic.

davekay1971
04-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Sick and twisted regardless of who did it. As in all things, let's hope a good investigation is done, and wait for the investigation to play out before jumping to conclusions.

Glimmer
04-01-2015, 01:55 PM
These sorts of things on college campuses are usually hoaxes perpetrated by the very parties that stand to gain from the outrage created. So I would reserve judgment until that has been ruled out.

FerryFor50
04-01-2015, 02:04 PM
These sorts of things on college campuses are usually hoaxes perpetrated by the very parties that stand to gain from the outrage created. So I would reserve judgment until that has been ruled out.

Uh, really?

What stats do you have to back up the "blame the victim" stance?

duke09hms
04-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Uh, really?

Well back in 1997, some African-American Duke students tarred a doll and strung it by a noose on campus to "raise awareness."

FerryFor50
04-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Well back in 1997, some African-American Duke students tarred a doll and strung it by a noose on campus to "raise awareness."

So once in 17 years = usually?

I mean, sure, it happens. But usually?

duke09hms
04-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Uh, really?

http://legacy.utsandiego.com/news/state/20040420-0247-ca-hatecrimehoaxes.html

Colleges perfect milieu for hate crime hoaxes AP 2004

"More than 20 hate crime hoaxes have been suspected or confirmed at college campuses nationwide in the past seven years as students draw on the socially conscious atmosphere of a college campus to perpetrate their fraud."

duke09hms
04-01-2015, 02:10 PM
So once in 17 years = usually?

I mean, sure, it happens. But usually?

Don't know about usually, but at least when it comes to Duke in the modern era, it's 1-for-1. So yeah, we'll just have to wait and see what the investigation turns up. I'd say, it's more than likely a Durhamite rather than a student.

Newton_14
04-01-2015, 02:19 PM
No matter who did it I am disturbed by it. I just cringe when I see these things and wish we could get to a place where we did not see it.

Like most have said, we need to wait for the investigation to be completed before commenting on blame/fault. I recognize it could have been anyone, including, unfortunately, someone perpetuating a fraud, but it could be what it looks like. We just don't know yet. I just mainly hate it happened at the school we all love. I saw it on WRAL and wanted to bring awareness to the board, especially those non-local.

Sad deal.

duke09hms
04-01-2015, 02:27 PM
No matter who did it I am disturbed by it. I just cringe when I see these things and wish we could get to a place where we did not see it.

Like most have said, we need to wait for the investigation to be completed before commenting on blame/fault. I recognize it could have been anyone, including, unfortunately, someone perpetuating a fraud, but it could be what it looks like. We just don't know yet. I just mainly hate it happened at the school we all love. I saw it on WRAL and wanted to bring awareness to the board, especially those non-local.

Sad deal.

I agree, it's very sad. I DO know that the BC Plaza did have a camera that connected to an internet livefeed. And in addition to security cameras, they likely have live-feeds set up so people can watch the new renovations that are happening everywhere.

How funny would it be if they were caught on here: http://plazacam.studentaffairs.duke.edu/

gus
04-01-2015, 02:35 PM
http://legacy.utsandiego.com/news/state/20040420-0247-ca-hatecrimehoaxes.html

Colleges perfect milieu for hate crime hoaxes AP 2004

"More than 20 hate crime hoaxes have been suspected or confirmed at college campuses nationwide in the past seven years as students draw on the socially conscious atmosphere of a college campus to perpetrate their fraud."

So that's the numerator. What's the denominator?

From the article you linked:

In 2002, the last year for which numbers are available, 7,462 hate crimes were reported nationwide; of those, more than 10 percent occurred at schools or colleges, according to the FBI.

so, in one year, ~750 hate crimes were reported on college campuses. That means in the 7 year period there were ~5,200 hate crimes reported on campuses. Of which 20, or 0.4%, were hoaxes.

"Usually"?

duke09hms
04-01-2015, 02:43 PM
So that's the numerator. What's the denominator?

From the article you linked:

so, in one year, ~750 hate crimes were reported on college campuses. That means in the 7 year period there were ~5,200 hate crimes reported on campuses. Of which 20, or 0.4%, were hoaxes.

"Usually"?

More than 20. Numerator unknown as well as denominator. I wasn't the one who claimed "usually," and definitions as far as what is defined a hate crime and which ones are investigated to make any such determination as hoax/real are gray at best.

So we'll just have to see how it goes and treat the individual on its own merits.

Duvall
04-01-2015, 02:54 PM
More than 20. Numerator unknown as well as denominator. I wasn't the one who claimed "usually," and definitions as far as what is defined a hate crime and which ones are investigated to make any such determination as hoax/real are gray at best.

So we'll just have to see how it goes and treat the individual on its own merits.

Or, absent said individual, just assume that people are making things up.

duke09hms
04-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Or, absent said individual, just assume that people are making things up.

Individual event was the reference given the "its."

That is quite the assumption you are making, my friend.

cspan37421
04-01-2015, 09:39 PM
In the absence of any evidence, there is the option to not assume anything.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
04-02-2015, 07:32 AM
No need to bring it to the attention of the board because CBS morning news just did a story on it calling it just the latest instance of racism at Duke University. Apparently a black student also says she was taunted recently by white students chanting the racially charged song from the frat at Oklahoma. Then of course they ended the story with this nugget, "these latest allegations come as Dukes high profile basketball team heads to the final four this weekend."

77devil
04-02-2015, 12:39 PM
No need to bring it to the attention of the board because CBS morning news just did a story on it calling it just the latest instance of racism at Duke University. Apparently a black student also says she was taunted recently by white students chanting the racially charged song from the frat at Oklahoma. Then of course they ended the story with this nugget, "these latest allegations come as Dukes high profile basketball team heads to the final four this weekend."

Fortunately, hardly anyone watches the CBS Morning News.

Mike Corey
04-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Fortunately, hardly anyone watches the CBS Morning News.

Just 3.45 million people.

weezie
04-02-2015, 01:30 PM
It was on the evening news last night. A tad more might watch CBS around dinner but it was a short mention

J.Blink
04-02-2015, 02:05 PM
I sincerely hope the noose was not the work of any Duke student or faculty. I live in Durham and graduated from Duke 10 years ago, and I just can't fathom that this would have happened on campus. It's incredibly shocking. I have to admit, my first suspicion was that this was not a real act of white (or other) students performing a hate crime, but perhaps a misguided attempt to race some issues on campus. I'm equally horrified and incredulous about the reports of the Oklahoma song being sung by students on East campus, though again, I have to say that I feel suspicious about these two events happening so close in time. I, of course, do not know what really happened, and either way, it's just a bad situation.

Others have stated or disputed that these of events are often hoaxes. I have no idea what the numbers are. If anybody has any data on how many nooses show up on college campuses, and who the culprits are, that would be very interesting. A quick google search turns up more instances of nooses on campuses over the last decade than I had hoped to find (Maryland, West Florida, Central Michigan, etc.). I was unable to see if they ever caught who placed the nooses in most of the cases.

One very recent exception. Nooses found at UC Berkeley were placed by a "collective of queer and POC artists":

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2014/12/13/effigy-hung-from-sather-gate-before-berkeley-protest-march/

The only other similar on-campus noose appearance that I've ever heard of being resolved did turn out to be a hoax (by faculty member even):

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/nyregion/24columbia.html

I don't think there's a particularly good outcome for Duke, and I hate to say "I hope it's a hoax"—but, that would be better than the alternative.

blazindw
04-02-2015, 04:28 PM
It appears the culprit has been identified:

RT @AP: BREAKING: Duke University: Student has admitted to hanging noose in tree and is no longer on campus.

EDIT: More information from the Chronicle (http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/04/02/student-admits-tying-noose-no-longer-campus#.VR2m9ctVikp).

Newton_14
04-02-2015, 04:43 PM
It appears the culprit has been identified:

RT @AP: BREAKING: Duke University: Student has admitted to hanging noose in tree and is no longer on campus.

EDIT: More information from the Chronicle (http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/04/02/student-admits-tying-noose-no-longer-campus#.VR2m9ctVikp).

I just watched the WRAL presser. It was an undergrad. Race/Gender not revealed. Motive not revealed. Duke will take normal actions. Student will go before the Judicial Council, and receive just punishment that could range from minor discipline to expulsion. Formal investigation will take place. Duke also working with SBI and FBI to see if criminal charges are required. Was not caught on video. Tips from the community led to identification. Student confessed to doing it.

duke79
04-02-2015, 05:42 PM
I just watched the WRAL presser. It was an undergrad. Race/Gender not revealed. Motive not revealed. Duke will take normal actions. Student will go before the Judicial Council, and receive just punishment that could range from minor discipline to expulsion. Formal investigation will take place. Duke also working with SBI and FBI to see if criminal charges are required. Was not caught on video. Tips from the community led to identification. Student confessed to doing it.

http://news.yahoo.com/duke-student-admitted-hanging-noose-tree-202604239.html

This will NOT be good for Duke. Why do some Duke students do stupid things?

BD80
04-02-2015, 08:33 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/duke-student-admitted-hanging-noose-tree-202604239.html

This will NOT be good for Duke. Why do some Duke students do stupid things?

"Stupid?" That is WAY beyond stupid. Anyone even remotely responsible should be harshly punished. The metaphoric lynching the culprit(s) will receive in the press will be horrible, but not punishment enough.

77devil
04-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Just 3.45 million people.

Which is over 60% below ABC and almost that far behind NBC.

Tom B.
04-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Duke also working with SBI and FBI to see if criminal charges are required.

At the risk of going too far in the PPB direction....

This was a colossally stupid, insensitive, and inflammatory act. But a crime? C'mon.

Whoever did this will (justifiably) become a pariah, and may be subject to university discipline. But rattling the sabre of criminal prosecution over this puts us on a dangerous path, IMO.

Nick
04-03-2015, 02:54 PM
There was a similar incident in the late 90s (http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/1997/11/17/two-undergraduates-admit-wednesdays-mock-lynching#.VR7hAvnF_IZ). Two undergrads admitted to doing so to make a political statement and no charges were filed.

cspan37421
04-03-2015, 06:38 PM
"This particular event just pulled back the veil from structural problems that surround us daily," English Professor Karla Holloway wrote in an email interview. "Until Duke meets these issues of inequity, respect and a deep investment in diversity as our everyday and ordinary value, the opportunity for such an upheaval remains."

- http://www.ibtimes.com/duke-university-noose-incident-seen-tipping-point-black-students-feeling-marginalized-1868426

Sounds like she's ready to cry injustice no matter who placed the noose in the tree.

Some of you may remember her from the Lacrosse case.

JNort
04-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Since when does a noose mean racism? Never have I seen this connection. Suicide I could understand but this to me is some sad individual who like someone said previously is just forcing an agenda

pfrduke
04-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Since when does a noose mean racism? Never have I seen this connection. Suicide I could understand but this to me is some sad individual who like someone said previously is just forcing an agenda

Are you unfamiliar with lynching as a thing? Because it was a serious thing for, I don't know, a century or so.

cspan37421
04-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Since when does a noose mean racism?

A noose can symbolize a lot of things (capital punishment, suicide), but racially-motivated murder by hanging (lynching) is certainly prominent among them. I suggest you review this page from PBS's American Experience series:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/till/peopleevents/e_lynch.html

Henderson
04-04-2015, 01:50 PM

Reminds me of the time I was playing golf and badly sliced my ball into a pine swamp far from the fairway. My playing partner and I looked at each other. Then he winked and said, "Yeah, that'll play."

davekay1971
04-04-2015, 02:20 PM
I would like to see Duke reveal the identity and motives of the culprit.

Why the identity? Assuming the culprit is 18 or older, he/she is an adult and should be held accountable for his/her actions. For whatever reason, many young adults seem to think heinous actions are okay if they're committed as a "joke", or on social media, or whatever. I'm sorry, but this was an act which has caused many people at and around Duke to feel hurt, and it has brought embarrassment on the University. The culprit should not be allowed to hide behind anonymity.

Why the motives? Obviously, just look at this thread. Already there is a clear division between the "another horrible example of racism" and the "probably another Oberlin style hoax" sides. Speculation is harmful in this kind of situation. Posters on this thread have made good points on both sides: there are way too many instances of racism on campuses even in recent years...and there are also instances of hoaxes designed, for whatever reason, to create false incidents of racism. It would be nice to know what the culprit was thinking when he or she did this.

As for the news reporting, why are "professional" news organizations calling this an act of racism when the motivation of the culprit is still unknown? There's no denying the racist imagery of a noose in a tree. But that doesn't yet mean the media should determine this to be an incident of racism. The media has a responsibility to investigate and report, not to assume.

DukieInKansas
04-04-2015, 02:39 PM
I would like to see Duke reveal the identity and motives of the culprit.

Why the identity? Assuming the culprit is 18 or older, he/she is an adult and should be held accountable for his/her actions. For whatever reason, many young adults seem to think heinous actions are okay if they're committed as a "joke", or on social media, or whatever. I'm sorry, but this was an act which has caused many people at and around Duke to feel hurt, and it has brought embarrassment on the University. The culprit should not be allowed to hide behind anonymity.

Why the motives? Obviously, just look at this thread. Already there is a clear division between the "another horrible example of racism" and the "probably another Oberlin style hoax" sides. Speculation is harmful in this kind of situation. Posters on this thread have made good points on both sides: there are way too many instances of racism on campuses even in recent years...and there are also instances of hoaxes designed, for whatever reason, to create false incidents of racism. It would be nice to know what the culprit was thinking when he or she did this.

As for the news reporting, why are "professional" news organizations calling this an act of racism when the motivation of the culprit is still unknown? There's no denying the racist imagery of a noose in a tree. But that doesn't yet mean the media should determine this to be an incident of racism. The media has a responsibility to investigate and report, not to assume.

I think assuming is an American pastime. ;)

I, too, await word of the motivation.

cspan37421
04-04-2015, 05:45 PM
... it's not "R.M."

http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triangle-sandhills/colleges-universities/2015/04/3/duke-administrators-urge-students-to-stop-rumors-about-who-hanged-noose.html

For those of us here a bit older, there's some local messaging app that has become popular on campus called Yik Yak, and apparently it can be quite the rumor mill, fueled by anonymous posting. I suspect there's a good probability that several people would know if a student suddenly was no longer seen in their dorm hall. (but not the case if they were an off-campus senior or grad student, or maybe in a Central Campus apt).

Anyway, according to Mr. Moneta, this R.M. person was mis-identified as being involved, and is getting a lot of undeserved flack.