PDA

View Full Version : April Fools!

NancyCarol
03-31-2015, 12:15 PM
Oh how I wish I had it in my power to convince media outlets in NC to "leak" that NONE of the Duke players are leaving as one and dones and that all have committed to returning for a second season. I am fairly certain the folks over on IC would just explode the internet.

devildeac
03-31-2015, 01:09 PM
Oh how I wish I had it in my power to convince media outlets in NC to "leak" that NONE of the Duke players are leaving as one and dones and that all have committed to returning for a second season. I am fairly certain the folks over on IC would just explode the internet.

One never knows what julio might do here at DBR tomorrow...

;)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2015, 01:12 PM
One never knows what julio might do here at DBR tomorrow...

;)

Was last year the "conference realignment" joke? That one got me for about ten minutes. I was trying to reconcile Duke to the SEC until saw nothing on ESPN and saw nothing.

Back to OP, yes, that would hilarious. Except if....

:)

stillcrazie
03-31-2015, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately, I think it would give a lot of us heart attacks, too, to find out it was a joke!

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-31-2015, 01:44 PM
Yea if were going to do an April fools joke, lets not make it all one that we would all love. Prefer it be something awful that we would hate, then when we find out its an April fools joke we can all laugh at our foolishness.

MarkD83
03-31-2015, 01:49 PM
Here's a good April Fool's joke...Duke is still playing basketball and UNC isn't.....Wait a minute...Nevermind that is true.

-jk
03-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Julian does have to be a little careful. Save the free range lemurs!

-jk

pfrduke
03-31-2015, 02:00 PM

-jk

That remains one of the stupidest kerfuffles this board has ever gotten into, and that's saying something. If I remember correctly, we may have lost a regular poster or two in the aftermath (which boggles the mind).

devildeac
03-31-2015, 02:29 PM

-jk

That remains one of the stupidest kerfuffles this board has ever gotten into, and that's saying something. If I remember correctly, we may have lost a regular poster or two in the aftermath (which boggles the mind).

I remember it fairly well and would be happy to share a few PM messages (brief, I promise) if you have a bit of time and interest;).

Newton_14
03-31-2015, 08:34 PM
I remember it fairly well and would be happy to share a few PM messages (brief, I promise) if you have a bit of time and interest;).

Hit me. It must have been before my time.

Always love it when local or even National Media fall for Julian's antics.:cool:

devildeac
03-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Hit me. It must have been before my time.

Always love it when local or even National Media fall for Julian's antics.:cool:

Check your PM;).

Hope I don't lose any sleep tonight over worrying about tomorrow's shenanigans:p :rolleyes:.

burnspbesq
03-31-2015, 10:17 PM
Tyus is leaving, so Coach K goes to Coach Danowski and asks to borrow Myles Jones to be next year's point guard (not completely implausible, as Myles had some D1 basketball scholarship offers). As quid pro quo, Justise agrees to pick up a pole and learn to play LSM and take faceoffs.

Dev11
03-31-2015, 10:23 PM
Check your PM;).

Hope I don't lose any sleep tonight over worrying about tomorrow's shenanigans:p :rolleyes:.

I'll take those, too, DD. New mods should be given some kind of DBR history book.

Duvall
03-31-2015, 10:26 PM
So is this the thread for debunking lame and unfunny April Fools jokes tomorrow?

OldPhiKap
03-31-2015, 10:40 PM
I'll take those, too, DD. New mods should be given some kind of DBR history book.

That was before my time too. If someone wants to hit me with it, that would be marvy.

Newton_14
03-31-2015, 11:03 PM
So is this the thread for debunking lame and unfunny April Fools jokes tomorrow?

You have such a great sense of humor Duvall. That's why I like you so much.:)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2015, 11:30 PM
There are things here that predate me? Thought I migrated over from the nnewsliston the Mayflower, at least as a lurker.

DukieInKansas
04-01-2015, 12:25 AM
The real question is what time will the April 1 issue go live? Will it be while I'm still at work in the Central time zone - so I fall for it briefly as it is still 3/31? Who will get hit with the lasers this year? :D

CameronBlue
04-01-2015, 01:50 AM
You have such a great sense of humor Duvall. That's why I like you so much.:)

Duvall slices his arm with a Swiss Army Knife whenever he gets the impulse to smile. It's only his complete dedication that enables him to maintain his curmudgeonly demeanor when the little bottle opener tool comes up in the rotation.

jv001
04-01-2015, 06:45 AM
I'm not falling for that one. GoDuke!

Skitzle
04-01-2015, 06:51 AM
I'm not falling for that one. GoDuke!

Fell For it at first, then the url said Check date. and it was "totally" over the top :)

Good believable idea though :)

NSDukeFan
04-01-2015, 06:57 AM
Fell For it at first, then the url said Check date. and it was "totally" over the top :)

Good believable idea though :)

I figured they didn't bother with it this year, until I saw the new posts on this thread. D'oh.

ClosetHurleyFan
04-01-2015, 07:31 AM
But this long time lurking UNC fan didnt bite for a second!!! Love the spirit, but too obvious.

MChambers
04-01-2015, 07:33 AM
But this long time lurking UNC fan didnt bite for a second!!! Love the spirit, but too obvious.
I heard Coach K will counter by bringing back Andre Buckner as a special assistant.

aimo
04-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Fell for it for about five seconds, then remembered the date. Wonder if it'll leak and cause an uproar over in Crapel Hell?

superdave
04-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Well, Roy has had trouble recruiting lately and Doherty said the guys who won the 05 title were his guys.

DukeFanSince1990
04-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Got me again......

hudlow
04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Put it up on my FB page...

Trolling....

hud

Indoor66
04-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Actually, the "move" by Roy might be an improvement!

duke79
04-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Yea, I'm embarrassed to admit this.......but you got me too. I couldn't sleep and logged on to DBR at about 5:00 AM. Read the story about Doherty and thought.....wow, that is bizarre move by Roy. I wonder what the people at IC are saying about this move. Then......it dawned on me what date it was. Nice job.....it was not totally implausible so not something you might outright dismiss.

I remember when I was an undergrad at Duke that the Chronicle did a story on April 1 that Duke had been invited to join the Ivy League. LOL. Some students fell for it, for a while.

PackMan97
04-01-2015, 11:40 AM

Be careful, the folks at IC would probably just accuse Duke of putting these one and dones into a fake curriculum to keep them eligible to play while making sure they get the nicest late model rental cars paid for by a shaddy character to drive around town. Next they might think you'd hire parents for jobs they aren't qualified for while you flew them all over the country on Duke's dime so they could see their sons play college basketball. Of course, the IC crew wouldn't be done yet, they'd also point out players getting busted with drugs and guns in a rental car paid for by a third party, parents living in houses far exceeding anything they had before and a interesting connection to your dental school which ties back into that shady guy renting all your players nice cars.

So, becareful...I think it's right to be suspicious of teams that always seem to keep guys from going pro.

Henderson
04-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Be careful, the folks at IC would probably just accuse Duke of putting these one and dones into a fake curriculum to keep them eligible to play while making sure they get the nicest late model rental cars paid for by a shaddy character to drive around town. Next they might think you'd hire parents for jobs they aren't qualified for while you flew them all over the country on Duke's dime so they could see their sons play college basketball. Of course, the IC crew wouldn't be done yet, they'd also point out players getting busted with drugs and guns in a rental car paid for by a third party, parents living in houses far exceeding anything they had before and a interesting connection to your dental school which ties back into that shady guy renting all your players nice cars.

So, becareful...I think it's right to be suspicious of teams that always seem to keep guys from going pro.

I don't think Duke players or coaches care about what delusions are expressed at IC. If you do things right, you have no problem, despite any rantings of opposing fans.

I think you may be getting a little giddy about PackPride's success in furthering the UNC-CH story. It's not a story because PackPride posted accusations. It's a story because the accusations were true.

Programs aren't taken to the woodshed because of fan site accusations; they are taken to the woodshed when the accusations have substance.

Kedsy
04-01-2015, 12:06 PM
I don't think Duke players or coaches care about what delusions are expressed at IC. If you do things right, you have no problem, despite any rantings of opposing fans.

I think you may be getting a little giddy about PackPride's success in furthering the UNC-CH story. It's not a story because PackPride posted accusations. It's a story because the accusations were true.

Programs aren't taken to the woodshed because of fan site accusations; they are taken to the woodshed when the accusations have substance.

Read his post more carefully. He's taking a shot at UNC, not Duke.

willywoody
04-01-2015, 12:07 PM
I was believing the story for about 10 minutes until I read another April Fools story and it hit me. Good job once again.

Henderson
04-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Read his post more carefully. He's taking a shot at UNC, not Duke.

Believe me, I got it, including the references to the influence and importance of fan posts.

Tom B.
04-01-2015, 12:17 PM
My favorite DBR April Fools story is from a while back -- 2000 or 2001, or it might even have been in the late 1990s -- when DBR reported that the EPA was shutting down Krzyzewskiville for failing to obtain discharge permits and other Clean Water Act violations. They even linked to a mocked-up cease-and-desist letter on EPA letterhead. It caused a huge uproar on the boards that went on for almost the whole day, before it finally dawned on everyone that it was a prank.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-01-2015, 12:30 PM
My favorite DBR April Fools story is from a while back -- 2000 or 2001, or it might even have been in the late 1990s -- when DBR reported that the EPA was shutting down Krzyzewskiville for failing to obtain discharge permits and other Clean Water Act violations. They even linked to a mocked-up cease-and-desist letter on EPA letterhead. It caused a huge uproar on the boards that went on for almost the whole day, before it finally dawned on everyone that it was a prank.

I'm charging my phasers so I can go hunt me some free-range lemurs in the Duke Forest. :cool:

Oh, wait. That's just crazietalk! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

captmojo
04-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm charging my phasers so I can go hunt me some free-range lemurs in the Duke Forest. :cool:

Oh, wait. That's just crazietalk! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Wow! That was you? I heard Winslow had been suspended because he was charging a laser for those lemurs. ;)

moonpie23
04-01-2015, 06:42 PM
didn't see if THIS (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/4/1/8324669/roy-williams-to-rehire-matt-doherty-as-assistant-check-date) had been posted..

roy is smart...

Newton_14
04-01-2015, 07:52 PM
didn't see if THIS (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/4/1/8324669/roy-williams-to-rehire-matt-doherty-as-assistant-check-date) had been posted..

roy is smart...

Sorry if the meaning/intent of your post flew way over my head and I am the one off base here, but you realize that story is this year's April Fools story by Julio, right?

moonpie23
04-01-2015, 09:39 PM
sarcasm just seems to flop on boards.. :(

it was posted on my facebook, i knew it was an AFJ and just copied the link and posted here...... :(

my bad

-jk
04-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Hah! Sarcasm flops everywhere on the interwebs!

Go figure...

-jk

captmojo
04-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Could'a been worse.
Less believable, but replace the name Matt, with Larry Brown. Even worse...Johnny Dawkins!
:eek: