PDA

View Full Version : Czyz Decision Next Week

Patrick Yates
09-21-2007, 12:21 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=681945&nid=3117524&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d681945%26nid%3 d3117524%26fhn%3d1

Sorry for the length of the Link, but it goes to Czyz's player page on Scout. The article itself is premium, but if you scan the entire page you will see that Olek is going to decide this weekend after his visit to UL.

Apparantly, he has eliminated FL, a wise decision given their Frosh and Incomming Recruits. Apparently, he is down to Duke and UL.

I do not know what Olek is thinking, but it will be good to know his decision, one way or the other, as this will really influence Duke going forward.

Patrick Yates

prefan21
09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
I haven't kept up tremendously well with Duke's current recruiting...

What's K's philosophy with Monroe, Williams, and Czyz? Why them, in particular, out of the top 100? What kind of team is he trying to build?

Help me out with the big picture :)

Ignatius07
09-21-2007, 01:21 PM
For those that know, how does a possible Czyz commitment affest 09 recruiting? That is, would we not go after a big in that class if we got a commitment from him?

I hope he does pick Duke because I trust K and his recruiting, but he is ranked pretty low in a supposedly weak class, which leads me to believe that K expects him to be something other than a traditional big.

throatybeard
09-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Well anybody with that many Zs and Ys in his name must be good.

Troublemaker
09-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Olek's attributes are as rare as a syzygy.

I would be excited if he commits. You're talking about a 3 or 4 yr player (he's a 6'7" post player) with an excellent motor, strength, and hops. Hopefully he'll be like Jon Brockman with less bulk but more leaping ability.

VaDukie
09-21-2007, 02:55 PM
A lot of people talk about K needing to find some more diamonds in the rough - Olek looks like that kind of player. And considering the caliber of coaches that have been going after him, I think he'll turn out to be very valuable. COME TO DUKE!

SilkyJ
09-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I haven't kept up tremendously well with Duke's current recruiting...

What's K's philosophy with Monroe, Williams, and Czyz? Why them, in particular, out of the top 100? What kind of team is he trying to build?

Help me out with the big picture :)

In terms of overall philosophy, I have said before and will say again that I believe coach k is adapting to the new college landscape that has finally caught up to us (meaning transfers and early entries to the NBA) and he is now "re-loading" with at least a couple bigtime players every year (in the past I think his philosophy was bring in a stud class of 3-5 players every 2-4 years, and in the "off" years, supplement with small classes fitting specific needs) Now I think with all the talent we have, anyone could head to the draft or transfer at any moment, so we have to bring in multiple bigtime players every year. And of course, you have to think about "needs" with regards to positions:

Our PG situtation should be well in hand for a few years with Greg/Nolan, and while we are deep on the wing, you can never have enough scorers, and we will lose demarcus after this year, marty will be a senior in '08/09 and who knows what will happen with Gerald, so you've gotta bring in a wing player (williams)....as for monroe: we need big, not to mention he's at least a top 3 recruit, so you dont need much more reasons than that. By the time czyz would get on campus Zou/lance will be juniors, singler will be a soph, and could potentially be gone, so it can hurt to add another big to the class.

RelativeWays
09-21-2007, 05:36 PM
How do you pronounce Czyz anyway? "Shiz"? The crazies will love that.

ACCBBallFan
09-21-2007, 10:30 PM
For those that know, how does a possible Czyz commitment affect 09 recruiting? That is, would we not go after a big in that class if we got a commitment from him?

I hope he does pick Duke because I trust K and his recruiting, but he is ranked pretty low in a supposedly weak class, which leads me to believe that K expects him to be something other than a traditional big. Not sure I qualify as someone in the know, but IMO no effect on 2009 recruiting because guys like King and Singler could be bigs or SFs depending on the rest of the team composition.

In theory Monroe would be one and done, possibly two, but guys like Lance, Zoubek, King will be around for a while and McClure has this year and next.

duketaylor
09-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Not really an inside player, more of a 3/small 4. Raw offensively but runs the court well. Some see him as just another body on the bench, some a bit more. Nobody I know that's seen him play is terribly excited about landing him. Can't say that about Greg Monroe and E Williams.
His last name is pronounced "Sizz". K will try to land a decent size class in '09.
Any other questions?

Jaymf7
09-21-2007, 10:57 PM
How do the two compare? I hear Czyz is supposed to be a great athlete with very, very raw skills. He may be a bit taller than Wallace, but are there other material differences?

watzone
09-22-2007, 08:39 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=681945&nid=3117524&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d681945%26nid%3 d3117524%26fhn%3d1

Sorry for the length of the Link, but it goes to Czyz's player page on Scout. The article itself is premium, but if you scan the entire page you will see that Olek is going to decide this weekend after his visit to UL.

Apparantly, he has eliminated FL, a wise decision given their Frosh and Incomming Recruits. Apparently, he is down to Duke and UL.

I do not know what Olek is thinking, but it will be good to know his decision, one way or the other, as this will really influence Duke going forward.

Patrick Yates

As my readers know, Czyz dropped UF a long time ago. In fact, it was UF that more or less dropped him. This is one of the few prospects that I have never seen live, in that he stayed on the west coast. He will indeed make a decision next week and I think Duke is in a very strong position to land his service. On film, he has potential and is athletic. Some have compared him to Danny Meaghar, but he can shoot better. I am not sure if this is totally accurate, but if he hustles like the spitmeister (LS), he will be a nice addition. He is indeed raw, but not nearly as unprepared as some may have you think. IOW, he will work hard to improve his game. He plays in an outstanding Las Vegas league. With the influx of people moving into the city, it breeds good comp. He faces the likes of Luke Babbitt and his numbers have improved every year.

Troublemaker
09-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Unless my Polish friend is wrong (or Olek pronounces it outside the norm), his last name is pronounced "Chizz"

Krimson King
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Duke is the team to beat here

dkbaseball
09-22-2007, 12:18 PM
He plays in an outstanding Las Vegas league. With the influx of people moving into the city, it breeds good comp. He faces the likes of Luke Babbitt and his numbers have improved every year.

Reno, not Vegas, at least during the school year. Same with Babbitt. Reno High is about a mile away from my place of residence, so I will file a scouting report at first opportunity, if he declares for Duke. I really like what I see on his highlight reel. Aggressive, confident, loves to flush the ball, and already has good natural strength and size (he's supposed to be four inches taller than Wallace) without having yet found his way to the weight room. A four-year player who will probably work hard to improve and relate well to K. I think he'll be an excellent addition.

The local paper says it's pronounced Chizz.

gotham devil
09-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Reno, not Vegas, at least during the school year. Same with Babbitt. Reno High is about a mile away from my place of residence, so I will file a scouting report at first opportunity, if he declares for Duke. I really like what I see on his highlight reel. Aggressive, confident, loves to flush the ball, and already has good natural strength and size (he's supposed to be four inches taller than Wallace) without having yet found his way to the weight room. A four-year player who will probably work hard to improve and relate well to K. I think he'll be an excellent addition.

You're right.
Reno also produced David Padgett of Kansas/Louisville.

watzone
09-27-2007, 09:52 AM

Yes on all counts. I had a brain poot. According to his coach, Olek will be used differntly this year. I think that he plays in the opposite division as Babbit, but either way, I look forward to their battles. Having interviewd Babbitt, I can tell you that he is a hell of a good kid. In fact, had Duke not signed both Singler and King, he would have remained a target.