PDA

View Full Version : MBB Final Four: Kentucky/Wisconsin (Apr 4, 8:49 pm, TBS) discussion

hurleyfor3
03-29-2015, 07:10 PM
Discuss that other game here.

KYtotheCore
03-29-2015, 07:45 PM
I know one thing . . . it isn't going to be easy.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-29-2015, 08:38 PM
On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin!
Stand up, Badgers, sing!
"Forward" is our driving spirit,
Loyal voices ring.
On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin!
Raise her glowing flame
Stand, Fellows, let us now
Salute her name!

Newton_14
03-29-2015, 09:14 PM
I know one thing . . . it isn't going to be easy.
You should have lost last night.

AncientPsychicT
03-29-2015, 09:23 PM
You know what? Screw it.

If we're this close to getting the matchup, I want it to happen. I want to take down 39-0 Kentucky in the final. I want to be that team immortalized as the ones who ruined perfection. I'm not afraid of an unblemished record, and if there's any team that can challenge UK, we are definitely it.

So for this game, and this game only, go UK (assuming we beat MSU; if not, go B1G). Although I will be cheering for a close game, preferably overtime (more than one pls?).

superdave
03-29-2015, 09:25 PM
I like that Kaminsky pulls Stein out of the paint. That helps open things up. I dont know how Dekker will react to UK's length though. ND was able to open things up for Connaughton to drive so maybe Dekker can exploit that too.

I would love to see Wisco put a lot of ball pressure on the Harrison twins to slow the game down, then pack it in and make the shoot.

rfaison
03-29-2015, 09:35 PM
You know what? Screw it.

If we're this close to getting the matchup, I want it to happen. I want to take down 39-0 Kentucky in the final. I want to be that team immortalized as the ones who ruined perfection. I'm not afraid of an unblemished record, and if there's any team that can challenge UK, we are definitely it.

So for this game, and this game only, go UK (assuming we beat MSU; if not, go B1G). Although I will be cheering for a close game, preferably overtime (more than one pls?).

Exactly!! To be the best you gotta go through the best ... like we did in '91 taking down UNLV.

And don't you think the experience of being on the Duke bench as an assistant coach for that '91 UNLV game has to have been an asset for Mike Brey in preparing his team for meeting UK, and they came achingly close to pulling it off?

CoachJ10
03-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Frank the Tank means so much to this Badger offense...I would be surprised if UK didnt go right at him on defense early and often. Getting him in foul trouble would be huge.

(Ps...an aside, if Frank the Tank got called the way Jahlil does on offense, he'd have been on the pine a lot more this season and had a lot more travels called on him - sorry, one of my personal bugaboos).

brevity
03-29-2015, 10:28 PM
I want to take down 39-0 Kentucky in the final. I want to be that team immortalized as the ones who ruined perfection.

Well, okay, but we're going to have get rid of Tony Romo and Jason Garrett, and bring in Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin instead.

-bdbd
03-29-2015, 10:35 PM
Honestly, I think you guys (who want to see KY) are nuts... :p
I'm 100% for whatever gives Duke the best chance of winning the National Championship.
And it would be pretty darned tough to make the case that our odds are better against KY than against WI.

So.... go Badgers!!

Mike Corey
03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Wisconsin is the better team, with a vastly better coach, more experienced players, and much less pressure. Kentucky's tall and deep.

Wisconsin wins by 10 or more.

Here's hoping the Badgers finish what Notre Dame started.

rfaison
03-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Honestly, I think you guys (who want to see KY) are nuts... :p
I'm 100% for whatever gives Duke the best chance of winning the National Championship.
And it would be pretty darned tough to make the case that our odds are better against KY than against WI.

So.... go Badgers!!

I'm not saying that I WANT Kentucky but I do believe we need to be mentally prepared - and K is a preparation master - for that possibility ... understanding that we have to be ready for MSU first who I anticipate will be another very worthy and challenging opponent. Play on!

uh_no
03-30-2015, 12:19 AM
Wisconsin is the better team, with a vastly better coach, more experienced players, and much less pressure. Kentucky's tall and deep.

Wisconsin wins by 10 or more.

Here's hoping the Badgers finish what Notre Dame started.

I'm very torn on this game.

We've seen the kentucky weaknesses:

1) over aggression on defense, leading to fouls on fakes and over help on drives leading to getting beaten on pick&roll / backdoor cut
2) immature offense, which involves over powering teams with size and decent three point shooting, but can be stymied by teams which can match size and play good fundamental defense

ND did a GREAT job exploiting their defense, but simply did not have the right matchups to play defense well.

wisconsin certainly has the bodies to match up much better with kentucky. It's whether their offense will be able to exploit kentucky's defense that worries me. I'm believe that ND played some of the best team offense in the country with how the moved both with and without the ball. I doubt anybody got as many clean looks at the rim against UK as ND did last night. I don't know if wisconsin's offense will be just that slightly less "flowy" than ND's (yes I know they're more efficient overall) that UK will be able to more effectively slow it. That's the question.

Further, I think Brey is a better coach than Bo.

I think we agree that kentucky's gaudy record is at least some degree propped up by the weak SEC (does anyone think they have any chance in hell to be undefeated with an ACC schedule????). So the only quesiton is will they play enough games against actual good teams that one of them will knock them off? ND was easily the best team they played all year, and wisconsin even more so. I'm hoping they get beaten. I'm not sure duke or MSU is the team to do it. Lets go Badgers.

InSpades
03-30-2015, 12:28 AM
I really wish this was the 1st game so I could enjoy it... now my enjoyment will be entirely dependent upon the results of a game played before it.

I think this should be a great game. Kentucky's championship odds are *WAY* too high. At best I think they are 60/40 to win the semi-finals. Wisconsin has the size to defend Kentucky and there's a reason they are the #1 offense in the country according to KenPom. We saw what ND was able to do to Kentucky... if Wisconsin can have similar offensive success and just play a bit bitter defense they should have a good chance to win this one.

eddiehaskell
03-30-2015, 03:57 AM
You know what? Screw it.

So for this game, and this game only, go UK (assuming we beat MSU; if not, go B1G). Although I will be cheering for a close game, preferably overtime (more than one pls?).I want a natty in the worst way, but I'm almost on board with this. It would be a game for the ages...maybe one of the most watched natty games ever...the crown jewel to top off K's stellar career.

jipops
03-30-2015, 08:46 AM
I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but cbs has to be rooting for UK in this one. This probably has more of an effect on ratings for Monday night than the Duke/MSU result, with the prospect of going 40-0. If Duke is on the other side that is icing on the cake, a ratings bonanza.

davekay1971
03-30-2015, 09:15 AM
The more I think about this matchup, the more I like it for Wisconsin. Obviously KY is a very, very talented team. But CBS sport radio had a coach on (can't remember who), and he talked about the way ND's ability to spread KY out with the threat of their multiple good 3 point shooters really nullified KY's defense. Wisconsin is another team (like a certain Durham-based team) that can put 4 good 3-point shooters on the floor and force KY to spread out. Basically, KY has a matchup nightmare with Kaminsky and Dekker, and their ability to score from the perimeter is going to force at least one of KY's rim protectors out of the lane.

Defensively, Wisconsin might be better off than was ND, in that Wisconsin has bigs who might be able to slow down Towns. If it weren't for Towns absolutely eating Auguste alive, KY loses that game by 10-15 points. If I'm Wisconsin I put Kaminsky on Towns and Dekker on Cauley-Stein (who isn't much of an offensive threat), and see if Frank the Tank can limit Towns.

Maybe this is wishful thinking. I despised Calamari before their win over ND. His arrogance and unwillingness to give ND any credit was infuriating. Compare his halftime and post-game comments to K's, and see the difference between smug arrogance and class. No wonder Cheney wanted to pound Calamari into the pavement.

KYtotheCore
03-30-2015, 10:55 AM
You should have lost last night.

Maybe, but fortunately nothing is based on "should have".

KYtotheCore
03-30-2015, 11:04 AM
One thing Cal said, and I think most UK fans like me agree, is that "we're not perfect, just undefeated". We realize there's a difference. I haven't run across any UK fans in my interactions with them that are resigned to the fact that UK will go 40-0. We're hopeful, though. All fans of basketball know how hard it is to win a Nat'l Cship, much less go perfect. I don't feel it's likely, but I've been surprised throughout the season at the end of several close games. There are a few games we could've lost but didn't for whatever reason.

davekay1971
03-30-2015, 11:11 AM
One thing Cal said, and I think most UK fans like me agree, is that "we're not perfect, just undefeated". We realize there's a difference. I haven't run across any UK fans in my interactions with them that are resigned to the fact that UK will go 40-0. We're hopeful, though. All fans of basketball know how hard it is to win a Nat'l Cship, much less go perfect. I don't feel it's likely, but I've been surprised throughout the season at the end of several close games. There are a few games we could've lost but didn't for whatever reason.

Certainly no college basketball team will ever be perfect. Going 40-0 would be a form of perfection, in that the team would have faced it's full schedule, every team put in front of it both in regular season and tournament play, and was never beaten. That's all you can ask of any team. Perfect seasons are something to be celebrated, and, if KY completes a perfect season, the KY fans will justifiably celebrate that accomplishment, no matter how those wins happen. If KY beats Duke to win the National Championship on a last second full-court desperation heave that hits off the backboard, then the rim, then off the back of Quinn Cook's head, and goes in the basket after rolling three times around the rim for a one point win, it's still a 40-0 season and something to be celebrated by Wildcat nation.

I loathe Calipari, but not the kids who play for him, and I wouldn't begrudge KY fans their joy if the team completes the season with a natty.

rifraf
03-30-2015, 11:36 AM
I loathe Calipari, but not the kids who play for him, and I wouldn't begrudge KY fans their joy if the team completes the season with a natty.

I think this is really well said. My Dad went to Kentucky (he was there the year of the Laettner shot) and I grew up a UK fan until I went to Duke. I always pull for Kentucky and respect the hell out of the team, but I can't pull for Calipari. I think the team is playing really well and rely on each other, and if they were wearing a different blue and white uniform I think it'd be a team everyone on this board would be proud to have playing for Duke.

KYtotheCore
03-30-2015, 12:55 PM
If KY beats Duke to win the National Championship on a last second full-court desperation heave that hits off the backboard, then the rim, then off the back of Quinn Cook's head, and goes in the basket after rolling three times around the rim for a one point win, it's still a 40-0 season and something to be celebrated by Wildcat nation.

Well said. We'd take it any way we could get it. Definitely not going to overlook WI though.

Billy Dat
03-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Cal on K:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/john-calipari-mike-krzyzewski-respect

"“You talk about Mike Krzyzewski, c’mon. Wooden, Krzyzewski, and that’s about it,” Calipari said. “My respect for Mike Krzyzewski goes beyond just watching him and what he’s done in thousands of games, all that. My respect for him goes to this level. What he did for Anthony Davis, what he did for Derrick Rose, what he just did for DeMarcus Cousins on USA Basketball. All of them spent that time with him and their careers changed, the whole direction.

“My hope is that half the team becomes my guys because I see what he’s done for my guys. If you know me well enough, you know that’s moving me. The other stuff is great, and I respect him. That right there, that moves me.”

gurufrisbee
03-30-2015, 05:20 PM
When I first saw the bracket I figured on this match up (I didn't see anyone in either region who was nearly as good as those teams). And I'm glad I was right. I can't stand Kentucky and I think Wisconsin is as good of a match up as you're going to find in the country to play them. Solid defensively, extremely efficient offensively. They have a lot of size and experience and leadership. They can score outside, inside, and on the drive. If Kentucky is clicking I'm not sure anyone beats them. But if it's one of their MANY subpar performances this season, no one is better suited to take them down than the Badgers.

Atlanta Duke
03-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Hard to see how Wisconsin has a chance, given that in commemoration of its 20th anniversary ESPN.com has named its 20 greatest teams of the past 20 years (covering all sports) and concluded the 2014-15 Wildcats are #15 on that list even though it is my understanding their season has not yet ended

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=12584405

flyingdutchdevil
03-30-2015, 05:39 PM
Cal on K:

"“You talk about Mike Krzyzewski, c’mon. Wooden, Krzyzewski, and that’s about it,” Calipari said. “My respect for Mike Krzyzewski goes beyond just watching him and what he’s done in thousands of games, all that. My respect for him goes to this level. What he did for Anthony Davis, what he did for Derrick Rose, what he just did for DeMarcus Cousins on USA Basketball. All of them spent that time with him and their careers changed, the whole direction.

“My hope is that half the team becomes my guys because I see what he’s done for my guys. If you know me well enough, you know that’s moving me. The other stuff is great, and I respect him. That right there, that moves me.”

Noooooooo Billy!!! Why do you have to make me begin to like Calipari!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo!!!

In all honesty, I'm despising Calipari less and less these days. I have nothing but respect for his team right now. For what we know, he is recruiting legitimately and getting his teams to buy into his system, which is a huge accomplishment within itself. He'll never have the loyalty nor the patience that Coach K has, but he has other admirable traits.

cptnflash
03-30-2015, 05:58 PM
I have four thoughts about this game:

First, what a great matchup of strength on strength when Wisconsin has the ball! Since their last loss (which was more than a month ago), here are their offensive efficiency numbers:

Home vs. Michigan State: 119.9
@ Minnesota: 123.6
@ Ohio State: 120.9
Neutral site vs. Michigan: 132.0
Neutral site vs. Purdue: 134.5
Neutral site vs. Michigan State: 125.2
Neutral site vs. Coastal Carolina: 136.6
Neutral site vs. Oregon: 118.9
Neutral site vs. UNC: 132.2
Neutral site vs. Arizona: 131.8 (against an elite defensive team no less!)

That, my friends, is an absolutely absurd run of offensive firepower. And then on the other side, there's Kentucky, which has the best defense in the country (although no longer at all-time great levels). Can the Badgers score on Kentucky? Can Kentucky contain the Badgers? I have no idea. And neither does anyone else, even if they claim to. But we're going to find out on Saturday!

Second, as someone else already mentioned, if ever there was going to be a ratings-induced conspiracy, it would be to make sure that Kentucky and Duke make the finals. Given the hype around both teams all year, and their history, and the coaches involved, it would probably be the most watched college basketball game of all time (certainly the most watched in the cable / dish / social media / "we have a million other things to do all the time" era). If the Badgers want to win, they'd better make sure it's not a one possession game at the end.

Third (and as a counterweight to the previous point), the revenge factor. How many times in sports (college, pro, or otherwise) does a team suffer a bitter defeat, use it as motivation all year, give everything they have to put themselves in position to win a rematch... and then never get the opportunity? It happens all the time! We just don't hear about it. But this time, it's actually happening! The same two teams, on the same stage. I bet the Wisconsin kids can't wait for Saturday night.

Fourth, above all else, I want Duke to have the best possible chance to win a national championship. And I think our chances of beating Wisconsin are much better than our chances of beating Kentucky, because Kentucky is A) the better team, and B) a tougher matchup for us because of their ridiculous size and depth inside.

So I'm in the camp that thinks those of you rooting for the "opportunity" to play Kentucky are nuts. Let's go Buzzcuts!!

Newton_14
03-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Cal on K:

Sorry Billy, but Cal is fake, disingenuous, narcissitic, etc. I don't buy any of that. Every time they put a mic in front of him over the weekend he was a pompous arse. Yesterday at the half of the Louisville/Mich St game, the interviewed him with one of the Harrisons and Cauley-Stein, and asked him his thoughts on Wisconsin. He spent about 10 seconds with a couple of lines about Wisconsin being good, then immediately said "but I want to talk about me man, and how lucky I am to coach my team and these two kids. They did not have to come back man, both were going to be 1st Round picks, but they trusted me with their careers and the other guys trusted me with their careers by coming here, and don't I have a great team man..." and some other such gibberish after that. It was sickening. I have always maintained the guy can coach, especially on the defensive side, but his arrogance and look at me aint I great schitck is appalling. He could have simply answered the question and spoke correctly about how great this Wisconsin team is and what a formidable opponent they will be, but it was all "look at me, man, look at me". Then the halftime comments during the ND game, giving zero credit to how well ND was playing and the whole "we'll be fine" nonsense. Watching him panic in the last 8 minutes of that game, turning to the bench trying to decide which sub to send in was funny. I only wish ND could have closed the deal, so Cal would have gotten what he deserved.

jv001
03-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Sorry Billy, but Cal is fake, disingenuous, narcissitic, etc. I don't buy any of that. Every time they put a mic in front of him over the weekend he was a pompous arse. Yesterday at the half of the Louisville/Mich St game, the interviewed him with one of the Harrisons and Cauley-Stein, and asked him his thoughts on Wisconsin. He spent about 10 seconds with a couple of lines about Wisconsin being good, then immediately said "but I want to talk about me man, and how lucky I am to coach my team and these two kids. They did not have to come back man, both were going to be 1st Round picks, but they trusted me with their careers and the other guys trusted me with their careers by coming here, and don't I have a great team man..." and some other such gibberish after that. It was sickening. I have always maintained the guy can coach, especially on the defensive side, but his arrogance and look at me aint I great schitck is appalling. He could have simply answered the question and spoke correctly about how great this Wisconsin team is and what a formidable opponent they will be, but it was all "look at me, man, look at me". Then the halftime comments during the ND game, giving zero credit to how well ND was playing and the whole "we'll be fine" nonsense. Watching him panic in the last 8 minutes of that game, turning to the bench trying to decide which sub to send in was funny. I only wish ND could have closed the deal, so Cal would have gotten what he deserved.

But Newt, I bet you don't dislike Cal as much as you do the Uncheats! :cool: I know I don't. GoDuke!

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2015, 07:07 PM
Hard to see how Wisconsin has a chance, given that in commemoration of its 20th anniversary ESPN.com has named its 20 greatest teams of the past 20 years (covering all sports) and concluded the 2014-15 Wildcats are #15 on that list even though it is my understanding their season has not yet ended

ESPN did this about 10 years ago before the USC/Texas Rose Bowl game. They had that particular USC team as the 2nd greatest of all time behind the loaded 2001 Miami Hurricanes and we all know what ended up happening in the Rose Bowl. I believe Herbstreit is still weeping.

By the way that list is a joke no 2001 Hurricanes or 1995 Cornhuskers. Those are the two most dominant college football teams the last 20 years.

Billy Dat
03-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Noooooooo Billy!!! Why do you have to make me begin to like Calipari!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo!!!

Sorry Billy, but Cal is fake, disingenuous, narcissitic, etc. I don't buy any of that.

Fellas, I wasn't trying to make him sound nice, I just thought it was relevant. He's totally out for #1, I found it interesting that he spoke about K in terms of how he's helped the Team USA Kentucky alums. I root against him at every turn.

subzero02
03-30-2015, 08:26 PM

That's absolutely ridiculous.... ESPN is bleeding more credibility each day. Kentucky clearly should be ranked in the top 5.

Newton_14
03-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Fellas, I wasn't trying to make him sound nice, I just thought it was relevant. He's totally out for #1, I found it interesting that he spoke about K in terms of how he's helped the Team USA Kentucky alums. I root against him at every turn.

All good Billy. I just don't buy anything he says as genuine. With his ego, I find it hard to believe he truly feels K did his former players any good, but that's just my personal opinion.

Hopefully Wisconsin sends them packing and they don't even get a chance to play on Monday Night. Even if we lose to Sparty or Wisc, I can live with that as long as Kentucky goes home empty.

AncientPsychicT
03-31-2015, 05:22 AM
That's absolutely ridiculous.... ESPN is bleeding more credibility each day. Kentucky clearly should be ranked in the top 5.

It's pretty hard to bleed credibility when you don't have any left.

jimrowe0
04-02-2015, 09:01 PM
This article pretty much says exactly how I feel. Kentucky is running into a Wisconsin team with unbelievable efficiency on the offense end. I'll take Wisconsin in this game.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25133355

Best offensive efficiency in modern era and trending up at 127.5 with a nearly 1.3 PPP. And then you factor in how Wisconsin doesn't slice at itself. The team's foul-per-game rate is 12.4, the lowest in the country, and its turnover percentage sits at 12.3 percent of possessions. That's also the lowest in the country. It's done this against the eighth-toughest schedule nationally.

NashvilleDevil
04-02-2015, 09:06 PM
It's been said but Kentucky is going to have earn this title. Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and possibly Duke will be the three best offenses that UK faced all year. I hope Wisconsin doesn't brain fart the game away like Notre Dame did.

Newton_14
04-02-2015, 10:00 PM
This article pretty much says exactly how I feel. Kentucky is running into a Wisconsin team with unbelievable efficiency on the offense end. I'll take Wisconsin in this game.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25133355

Best offensive efficiency in modern era and trending up at 127.5 with a nearly 1.3 PPP. And then you factor in how Wisconsin doesn't slice at itself. The team's foul-per-game rate is 12.4, the lowest in the country, and its turnover percentage sits at 12.3 percent of possessions. That's also the lowest in the country. It's done this against the eighth-toughest schedule nationally.

The most impressive stat to me, revealed in the article, is the fact that 5 different Badgers AVERAGE at least 2 made 3 pointers PER GAME. That's insane.

NSDukeFan
04-02-2015, 10:24 PM
How fun do Dekker - Cauley-Stein and Kaminsky-Towns sound for matchups? This could be fun, like the Notre Dame game, minus the ending.

ChrisP
04-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Perhaps this has happened in recent years and I just didn't pay as much attention because A) Duke wasn't in the FF since 2010 and B) I used to have cable but...what kind of a world are we living in that the NATIONAL SEMIFINALS are not on the "big boy" network of CBS? Are dogs and cats also living together?

I mean, it's the freakin' Final Four, man! What, is there a super important episode of JAG coming on Saturday night or something? I certainly hope the national championship is going to be on CBS. Just seems weird to me that TBS gets these games.

CDu
04-02-2015, 10:46 PM
The most impressive stat to me, revealed in the article, is the fact that 5 different Badgers AVERAGE at least 2 made 3 pointers PER GAME. That's insane.

I don't think that is right. Wisconsin "only" has 274 made 3s in 38 games. That is about 7 made 3s per game for the team. They are a terrific shooting team with Kaminsky, Gasser, Koenig, Hayes, and Jackson all shooting 37% or better from 3. But they aren't quite THAT terrific. ;)

CDu
04-02-2015, 11:05 PM
How fun do Dekker - Cauley-Stein and Kaminsky-Towns sound for matchups? This could be fun, like the Notre Dame game, minus the ending.

I would actually expect Dekker to guard Lyles and Hayes (their starting PF) to guard either Towns or Cauley-Stein. Though there will be some minutes when Wisconsin goes smaller and Dekker plays PF. Just not that many, barring foul trouble.

That is part of what gives me hope for Wisconsin. They aren't quite as big as UK, but they do have 4 regulars 6'8" or taller, all of whom are comfortable out on the perimeter.

brevity
04-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Perhaps this has happened in recent years and I just didn't pay as much attention because A) Duke wasn't in the FF since 2010 and B) I used to have cable but...what kind of a world are we living in that the NATIONAL SEMIFINALS are not on the "big boy" network of CBS? Are dogs and cats also living together?

I mean, it's the freakin' Final Four, man! What, is there a super important episode of JAG coming on Saturday night or something? I certainly hope the national championship is going to be on CBS. Just seems weird to me that TBS gets these games.

This article (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/03/the-final-four-airs-on-tbs-not-cbs-this-year-and-that-is-just-the-beginning/) explains why CBS had to compromise.

The move of the Final Four to cable is not the result of disinterest on the part of CBS (i.e., the Final Four is not being ‘relegated’ to cable). It is simply the case that without Turner Sports, CBS would not have any NCAA Tournament games... Since Turner is the only reason CBS still has the NCAA Tournament, and since Turner is footing more than half of the bill, it only makes sense that the Turner networks would get some of the most valuable games. For CBS, a diminished role in the NCAA Tournament is far better than no role at all.

There's a schedule provided in the above link. CBS is showing Monday night's game. But find a sports bar in 2016 and other even-numbered years. The entire Final Four is on TBS.

NSDukeFan
04-03-2015, 06:43 AM
I would actually expect Dekker to guard Lyles and Hayes (their starting PF) to guard either Towns or Cauley-Stein. Though there will be some minutes when Wisconsin goes smaller and Dekker plays PF. Just not that many, barring foul trouble.

That is part of what gives me hope for Wisconsin. They aren't quite as big as UK, but they do have 4 regulars 6'8" or taller, all of whom are comfortable out on the perimeter.

After the game Dekker had against Arizona, Cauley-Stein would have to be guarding him, though, wouldn't he?

CDu
04-03-2015, 08:13 AM
After the game Dekker had against Arizona, Cauley-Stein would have to be guarding him, though, wouldn't he?

I would guess Cauley-Stein guards Kaminsky and Lyles guards Dekker. But that is just a guess.

NSDukeFan
04-03-2015, 11:01 AM
I would guess Cauley-Stein guards Kaminsky and Lyles guards Dekker. But that is just a guess.

Maybe so. It should be fun to watch no matter who ends up guarding each other. It has been a great tournament so far and I am glad that Duke is still around, so that I have been able to continue to enjoy it. I didn't watch nearly as much last year after the disappointing first round (real first round.)

subzero02
04-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Lyles vs. Dekker will be a great matchup. It will be interesting to see what Ryan will do with Kaminsky on offense. Pulling Cauley-Stein away from the basket by placing Kaminsky on the perimeter could make it possible for Koenig and Dekker to drive to the hoop. I do think Towns will overpower Kaminsky in the post. We will see if Ryan uses a double team to get the ball out of his hands.

CDu
04-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Maybe so. It should be fun to watch no matter who ends up guarding each other. It has been a great tournament so far and I am glad that Duke is still around, so that I have been able to continue to enjoy it. I didn't watch nearly as much last year after the disappointing first round (real first round.)

Agreed, and I feel the same way about this year's tourney and felt the same disinterest in last year's tourney. It was just depressing.

Newton_14
04-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Agreed, and I feel the same way about this year's tourney and felt the same disinterest in last year's tourney. It was just depressing.
I was so depressed last year, I walked straight out of the PNC Arena, not staying for the 2nd game, drove across town to Capital Ford, bought a new car, and did not watch another game until the Final Four when I watched Wisc/Kentucky, and then the title game. It was just a brutal month of March for me (outside of the car of course, which I love!).

It was funny, but at the dealership I ran into one of NC State's former assistants Larry Harris who went to work there as a Salesman when Lowe got fired. We talked hoops for about 30 minutes. Very nice guy. He stated the obvious ... "Your boys just couldn't play any defense buddy. They hadn't played any all season. You didn't think they would start now did you?" :)

weezie
04-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Wow Newton, you are a fine human being and a gentleman. I think I would have either cried or jumped over the desk and throttled him.
You, sir, are a credit to Blue Devils everywhere.

JNort
04-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Most dominate college teams since 1985 plus undefeated Indiana. Duke has the two most dominate teams and 5 of the overall 30.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/this-years-kentucky-team-is-more-dominant-than-indianas-undefeated-1976-squad/?ex_cid=espnFB

WakeDevil
04-03-2015, 10:27 PM
It would help if the OP edited the title.

JNort
04-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Considering

A) I can't edit it
B) I'm on a mobile device with small buttons

It won't kill you so just chill and enjoy the link

Tripping William
04-04-2015, 09:15 PM
My heart says Bucky. My wallet says Tucky. Buzzcuts hangin' so far.

InSpades
04-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Terrible call there. Guy was not close to re-establishing. Somehow I don't mind though :).

dukelifer
04-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Terrible call there. Guy was not close to re-establishing. Somehow I don't mind though :).

Wisconsin playing well right now. Clearly playing hard.

DesertDevil
04-04-2015, 09:40 PM
I was so depressed last year, I walked straight out of the PNC Arena, not staying for the 2nd game, drove across town to Capital Ford, bought a new car, and did not watch another game until the Final Four when I watched Wisc/Kentucky, and then the title game. It was just a brutal month of March for me (outside of the car of course, which I love!).

It was funny, but at the dealership I ran into one of NC State's former assistants Larry Harris who went to work there as a Salesman when Lowe got fired. We talked hoops for about 30 minutes. Very nice guy. He stated the obvious ... "Your boys just couldn't play any defense buddy. They hadn't played any all season. You didn't think they would start now did you?" :)

My smart butt would have responded with "sorry Larry, no offense, but I'd rather have an opinion given to me by someone who can stay employed as a basketball coach, not have to become a car salesman".

But that's just me. LOL

tbyers11
04-04-2015, 09:45 PM
My smart butt would have responded with "sorry Larry, no offense, but I'd rather have an opinion given to me by someone who can stay employed as a basketball coach, not have to become a car salesman".

But that's just me. LOL

I would have done that too. Unless I was trying to get a good deal on a car. :D

dukelifer
04-04-2015, 09:55 PM
I would have done that too. Unless I was trying to get a good deal on a car. :D

Tied at the half - man these teams are playing hard. KY shooting near 60 percent. Hard to see Wisconsin winning this but we shall see

DUKEinFW
04-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Tied at the half - man these teams are playing hard. KY shooting near 60 percent. Hard to see Wisconsin winning this but we shall see

They basically led the entire half...why can't they win?

pfrduke
This has nothing to do with basketball, but that was quite a collection of heavy hitters in the Tidal ad.

MChambers
Pretty sure Wisconsin is winning by one.

I think Wisconsin will prevail. Kentucky's half court offense isn't all that good.

Henderson
04-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Dekker's condition?

InSpades
04-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Pretty sure Wisconsin is winning by one.

I think Wisconsin will prevail. Kentucky's half court offense isn't all that good.

Last shot was a 2 not a 3...

Kentucky shooting 60%. 2 for 2 from 3. 4 for 4 at the line. Best defense in the land. Somehow tied at half?

Harrisons are playing real well so far.

Should be a great 2nd half. Come on Kaminsky/Dekker!

cptnflash
04-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Weird first half statistically... Wisconsin owning the boards and UK shooting the lights out.

Just need to win the second half by one. Come on Badgers!!

DUKEinFW
04-04-2015, 10:04 PM
It will be a battle no matter who wins...we're ready...in K I trust

gumbomoop
04-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Dekker has to play inspired, confident, aggressive.

CDu
04-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Kaminsky showing why he was player of the year. Dicing up UK's D.

moonpie23
04-04-2015, 10:21 PM
when are they going to T cal up for being on the court?

CDu
04-04-2015, 10:29 PM
For all the talk about how much talent UK has, Wisconsin has the best player on the court. And they might have the second-best (at worst third best) in Dekker.

Duke79UNLV77
04-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Lyles took about 5 steps before that shot.

gwlaw99
04-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Wisconsin guards look vulnerable to ball pressure.

DesertDevil
04-04-2015, 10:37 PM
How has Harrison from KY not gotten T'd up? He's yelled/whined so loud on 2 calls that you could hear what he said on tv.

MrPoon
Towns is the second best player on the floor but the "line change" all season mans he doesn't stay in and take over.

devildeac

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lynyrdskynyrd/gimmethreesteps.html

devildeac
04-04-2015, 10:39 PM

Looks like Wisc only gets 2 steps though

Eternal Outlaw
04-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Terrible call to wipe 3 off the board

moonpie23
04-04-2015, 10:46 PM
uk hanging stout......just took the lead....

forget about all the "hype", they've earned where they are right now...

g-money

Geez, I thought they'd fixed that rule in the offseason. Aaargh.

dcdrumsinc

This

devildeac
04-04-2015, 10:49 PM

Geez, I thought they'd fixed that rule in the offseason. Aaargh.

This

Wisc team stream and our own airowe agreed.

Tripping William
04-04-2015, 10:54 PM
So Big Blue Nation thinks Laettner should have been tossed, but Lyles gets a no-call? Really??

g-money
04-04-2015, 10:54 PM
What on earth?

pfrduke
04-04-2015, 10:55 PM
Kentucky gets all the calls?

fisheyes
Wisco getting hosed

wavedukefan70s
Wow no flagrant on ky.

DukieInKansas
That's ok, they had a make=up call on the other end. ;)

Henderson
Cal called an excellent timeout with about 14:00 to play and down 8.

cspan37421
04-04-2015, 10:56 PM
TBS wants Duke vs. Kentucky, and the zebras know it.

77devil
Fix is in.

Eternal Outlaw
Wisconsin getting jobbed now

davekay1971
So Big Blue Nation thinks Laettner should have been tossed, but Lyles gets a no-call? Really??

Big Blue says "I didn't see no stinkin' elbow to the face"

devildeac
04-04-2015, 10:57 PM
gutless, gutless no call. Should have been f2 (2 shots, ball and ejection).

pfrduke
04-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Huge defensive series.

InSpades
04-04-2015, 10:58 PM
No flagrant was atrocious. What was he doing w/ his arm if he wasn't trying to hit the guy in the face? The ball was nowhere near him.

Duke79UNLV77
04-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Those refs should never work another FF game after the no flagrant call. Basketball is a tough game to officiate on the fly, but when you get to see the replay in slow-mo, there's no way you could miss that. The only question should have been flagrant 1 or 2.

pfrduke
04-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Well at least there's one makeup call.

dcdrumsinc
04-04-2015, 11:02 PM
These refs blow

Tjenkins
04-04-2015, 11:03 PM
Wisconsin's basket after the shot clock sort of makes up for the non-flagrant foul call.

CDu
A littlekharmic justice.

Tripping William
Big Blue says "I didn't see no stinkin' elbow to the face"

So Cal shouldn't sit him voluntarily?

MrPoon
04-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Two embarrassingly bad calls, no flagrant, no shot clock, good news, we will have different refs Monday.

pfrduke
04-04-2015, 11:05 PM
And there's makeup call #2.

wavedukefan70s
04-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Wow just wow.

Eternal Outlaw
04-04-2015, 11:06 PM
POY can't even get the same call that went against them. 6 point swing on them

CR9
04-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Where is Booker? Has he even played this half?

CDu
Some horrific officiating in this game, both ways. Just get a stop Wisconsin!

wavedukefan70s
Do you foul uk?

fisheyes
04-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Some horrific officiating in this game, both ways. Just get a stop Wisconsin!

Really embarrassing.

ChillinDuke
04-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Finish!!!

- Chillin

g-money
04-04-2015, 11:11 PM
WOW. Stunned. Can it be???

wavedukefan70s
04-04-2015, 11:12 PM
Need five over times.plus a hour delay on a broken backboard.;)

DesertDevil
04-04-2015, 11:13 PM
D up wisky!!

arnie
04-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Where do I get 38-1 tees? Haha

gumbomoop
04-04-2015, 11:14 PM
The narrative will be: UK wasn't sufficiently tested during the season. Would that be an accurate narrative? Or is it more simple? Wisconsin played better. Simpler still? Wisconsin is the better team.

I'm asking.

Tripping William
04-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Does Ashley Judd play piccolo?

Henderson
Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!

DukieInKansas
The narrative will be: UK wasn't sufficiently tested during the season. Would that be an accurate narrative? Or is it more simple? Wisconsin played better. Simpler still? Wisconsin is the better team.

I'm asking.

Some of both. Wisconsin is the better team tonight. UK wasn't tested enough at the end of a game to really know how to handle this.

CDu

I'm asking.

All of the above?

Newton_14
04-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Where do I get 38-1 tees? Haha
This is awesome! Go to Hell Kentucky and join the cheaters. Hang that 38-1 Banner!!

Go Duke!!

Atlanta Duke
04-04-2015, 11:18 PM
So I guess Kentucky may drop down in its ranking by ESPN.com as one of the 20 best teams in all sports of the past 20 years?

devildeac
04-04-2015, 11:18 PM
Think the UK faithful will make up t-shirts that say "I still hate Kaminsky?"

:rolleyes:

Lulu
04-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Is anyone else really bummed? I wasn't entirely sure who I was rooting for, but really really wanted the chance to be the ones that beat Kentucky. We never get to be real underdogs. I'll dread losing the title game to a team we already beat early this season, while it would have been an awesome change of pace to be the underdog with a chance to spoil history (again).

cptnflash
Anyone have the postgame press conference link?

DukieInKansas
This is awesome! Go to Hell Kentucky and join the cheaters. Hang that 38-1 Banner!!

Go Duke!!

As much as I would have liked the KY-Duke game, it is satisfying to see them fall one game short of trying to win the whole thing undefeated.

dukelifer
04-04-2015, 11:20 PM
Did not expect this. CBS execs are not happy right now. Happy for the Badgers- they played very hard today

FerryFor50
What happened was that one of those inadvisable step back threes in the closing moments finally went in against Kentucky. Quite a few teams took them in upset bids, but never could knock them down till Dekker dud.

Then they hit FTs and Harrison's end game luck ran out.

Wisconsin played like ND without the late meltdown. Best possible outcome tonight.

Henderson

I don't know about t-shirts, but there'll be some tats that need work next week.

DukieInKansas
04-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Are we the higher #1 seed?

wondering if we get to be in white. :D

Newton_14
04-04-2015, 11:21 PM
As much as I would have liked the KY-Duke game, it is satisfying to see them fall one game short of trying to win the whole thing undefeated.

Yeah I would have loved to have beat them too, but it is sweet to watch Calimari lose.

If we don't win it, I would rather lose to Wisconsin than Kentucky.

Henderson
04-04-2015, 11:22 PM

The NCAA streams it live on YouTube.

NYBri
04-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Didn't care who won. Wiscy will give us a game.

Five down. One to go!!!!

brevity
04-04-2015, 11:23 PM

Duke is the higher seed, but Wisconsin wears quite a bit of white in that stripe. (And it's worked out well for them so far.)

pfrduke

Yep, we'll get to stay in the whites.

CDu
I absolutely love the way the Badgers play. Congrats to them. If we lose tomorrow, I won't be as sad as if we lost to UK. Totally respect this Wisconsin bunch. That said, I sure hope Kedsy's rematch theory holds true once more!

Troublemaker
Is anyone else really bummed? I wasn't entirely sure who I was rooting for, but really really wanted the chance to be the ones that beat Kentucky. We never get to be real underdogs. I'll dread losing the title game to a team we already beat early this season, while it would have been an awesome change of pace to be the underdog with a chance to spoil history (again).

Nope. You are just silly.

Atlanta Duke

Not me - I have a strong dislike of UK and Coach Cal - it is always good when they lose

Plus Bucky winning makes me smile

cptnflash
04-04-2015, 11:24 PM

Actually I found it myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnb6yi4911U

wavedukefan70s
04-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Ashley Judd becomes irrelevant again.yessss.
hope we can get centered and complete the task.

Philadukie
04-04-2015, 11:27 PM
I think I would have preferred UK. Wisconsin is the better team and very tough with veterans. Kaminsky and Dekker are on a mission. They're not the team we played earlier. Silver lining may be that they're emotionally drained after this, but hard to imagine since they'll be angry about the loss at home. They do have an air of destiny about them. We'll see if that's real on Monday!

cptnflash
Didn't care who won. Wiscy will give us a game.

Five down. One to go!!!!

This is quite an understatement... they'll probably be a slight favorite.

Udaman
That was awesome. I wanted no part of Kentucky. We play their type of game only they are better at it. We match up well with Wisconsin and they are coming off an emotional battle against Kentucky. A let down could easily happen.

Tjenkins
04-04-2015, 11:28 PM

Naah, they'll blame the refs for allowing the bucket after the shot clock expired.

dukelifer
04-04-2015, 11:28 PM
I think I would have preferred UK. Wisconsin is the better team and very tough with veterans. Kaminsky and Dekker are on a mission. They're not the team we played earlier. Silver lining may be that they're emotionally drained after this, but hard to imagine since they'll be angry about the loss at home. They do have an air of destiny about them. We'll see if that's real on Monday!

Physically exhausted. This was a tough game

SoCalDukeFan
04-04-2015, 11:30 PM

I am not really bummed since we are playing for the NC on Monday. But I thought Wisconsin was the better team and would have rather played Kentucky as I thought they were easier to beat.

Should be a great game.

SoCal

duke96
04-04-2015, 11:33 PM
I absolutely love the way the Badgers play. Congrats to them. If we lose tomorrow, I won't be as sad as if we lost to UK. Totally respect this Wisconsin bunch. That said, I sure hope Kedsy's rematch theory holds true once more!

If we lose tomorrow, we can only blame ourselves for playing a game the day before the NCAA championship!

NancyCarol
04-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Well I didn't see that coming. Prefer Wisconsin, rather play an honorable opponent than Ky.

dukelion
04-04-2015, 11:35 PM

I'm asking.

I agree that they weren't sufficiently tested in conference play. I've said time and again that they haven't played a good team (prior to the tourney) since the Cards in December. They were lucky to get by ND and tonight their luck just ran out.

And I don't mean to hate....this was a great team....just like ND, Wisky and we are great teams.

But the SEC was terrible this year and they were even lucky to escape some of those teams.

But I agree....Wisconsin was simply better.

Atlanta Duke
04-04-2015, 11:36 PM
ESPN (might have been Jay Williams) ripping Cauley-Stein and Harrison for blowing off the post-game handshake line

MrPoon
04-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Not sure they would have won either way, but how do you call a time out and go for a very long three!
Love that J Will just called three key Kentucky players out for running off the floor without shaking Wisc. hands. Stunned that they didn't dhow class at the end.

jacone21
04-04-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm cool with that result. I think a Duke/Wisconsin final is just great.

It's true that they're not the same team we played earlier, but we're more than a little better as well.

Should be a Monday night classic.

CDu
04-04-2015, 11:37 PM
ESPN (might have been Jay Williams) ripping Cauley-Stein and Harrison for blowing off the post-game handshake line

Yeah that is low-class.

CDu
04-04-2015, 11:40 PM
If we lose tomorrow, we can only blame ourselves for playing a game the day before the NCAA championship!

Doh! Umm, it's late? :)

FerryFor50
04-04-2015, 11:41 PM

If you ask me, it was a real slap in the face.

(Too soon?)

gurufrisbee
04-04-2015, 11:42 PM
Yes! This is actually what I predicted from the beginning (which is impressive, because a lot of my bracket is not good). Been saying ALL year how Kentucky kept playing down about every third game and only got lucky because they played in a ridiculously bad SEC. Can't get away with that in the NCAA tournament where EVERYONE is better than anyone in the SEC. I didn't see anyone in their region (although the Irish were close) getting them, but Wisconsin matches up really well. So very happy to see the satisfying end of all the love for Calipari and the undefeated talk. Good riddance.

DukieInKansas
04-04-2015, 11:43 PM
If you ask me, it was a real slap in the face.

(Too soon?)

Maybe too soon - but it made me laugh out loud.

YmoBeThere
04-04-2015, 11:44 PM
Yeah that is low-class.
Was there ever any indication that Kentucky was ever classy?

DukeFanSince1990
04-04-2015, 11:44 PM
"Kenny, I would have loved to play in this game tonight. Because you could slap the hell out of someone and get away with it.". -Charles Barkley

burnspbesq
04-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Not sure they would have won either way, but how do you call a time out and go for a very long three!
Love that J Will just called three key Kentucky players out for running off the floor without shaking Wisc. hands. Stunned that they didn't dhow class at the end.

One of our all-time favorite Duke players did exactly that, once upon a time. As a senior, and the captain. It's disappointing, but it happens. We expect so much of these kids, and sometimes we forget they are kids.

ncexnyc
04-04-2015, 11:51 PM
It's a shame many of the headlines going up on the internet about this game contain words like stunner, shocker, etc..
Way to many people bought into the UK hype and you would think that after last weekend when they were taken to the wire by a ND team that had no size whatsoever they would have seen the handwriting on the wall.

It's also a shame that an outstanding Wisconsin team didn't get the respect that they should have from the talking heads prior to this game.

dcdrumsinc
04-04-2015, 11:59 PM
It's a shame many of the headlines going up on the internet about this game contain words like stunner, shocker, etc..
Way to many people bought into the UK hype and you would think that after last weekend when they were taken to the wire by a ND team that had no size whatsoever they would have seen the handwriting on the wall.

It's also a shame that an outstanding Wisconsin team didn't get the respect that they should have from the talking heads prior to this game.

Amen!!!

NashvilleDevil
04-05-2015, 12:05 AM
Clip of one of the Harrisons mumbling under his breath about Kaminsky at the press conference is making the rounds. Not a good look.

Olympic Fan
04-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Fun night.

Oh, it would have been fun to be the team to beat Kentucky ... but as long as somebody did it, I'm happy.

Took a visit to Rupp's Rafters to enjoy the meltdown, but I have to say that with a few exceptions, the fanatics took it reasonably well. Then I happened to drop by IC and saw that THEY were melting down -- not because of any love for Kentucky, but because this opens the door for Duke to win the title (in their eyes). Their second-hand pain is hilarious.

Furniture
04-05-2015, 12:09 AM

I agree with this....

InSpades
04-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Is Cauley-Stein really an all-american? How can you have an all-american where the other team doesn't need to guard him from outside of 3 feet? I think he cost Kentucky big time tonight. He's good defensively but he didn't play that great tonight. He got beat a couple of times (though admittedly he was playing against the NPOtY). Is he really a top 10 draft pick? I guess maybe he'll learn to play offense eventually but... I'd have a tough time picking him just based off defense.

Furniture
04-05-2015, 12:41 AM
I tell you what. Justice is one smart kid. He is really good in I nterviews and always has a very good answer for questions thrown at him.

Mike Corey
04-05-2015, 12:51 AM
Better team and better coach won.

Congrats to the Badgers.

Can hardly wait for Monday evening.

uh_no
04-05-2015, 01:03 AM

Congrats to the Badgers.

wisconsin certainly has the bodies to match up much better with kentucky. It's whether their offense will be able to exploit kentucky's defense that worries me. I'm believe that ND played some of the best team offense in the country with how the moved both with and without the ball. I doubt anybody got as many clean looks at the rim against UK as ND did last night. I don't know if wisconsin's offense will be just that slightly less "flowy" than ND's (yes I know they're more efficient overall) that UK will be able to more effectively slow it. That's the question.

To answer my own question:

yes wisconsin has enough offense to top UK's defense

To express another question concern:

crap. Wisconsin's offense is really good. will we be able to stop it? They're freakin good. Title game is a toss up IMO.

BobbyFan
04-05-2015, 01:05 AM

I'm asking.

Regardless of what happens in the championship game, UK will still be viewed as the best team this season, and rightfully so. But equating their formerly undefeated status with being one of the greatest teams ever wound up pushing them into the overrated category. Even before today's game, I would taken a handful of teams in the past few decades over them, including some of ours (1992, 1999, 2001).

What happened was that one of those inadvisable step back threes in the closing moments finally went in against Kentucky. Quite a few teams took them in upset bids, but never could knock them down till Dekker dud.

To be fair, Towns switched onto Dekker and was, as Dekker knew, too slow to affect the step back attempt.

Wisconsin has a great offense, and it's better than the heralded UK defense.

InSpades
04-05-2015, 01:07 AM
Hilarious to hear Cal say things like "no other team will accomplish something like this". Hello? What separates Wichita St. last year and Kentucky this year? Kentucky won 3 more games before getting their only loss of the year. No one thinks Wichita St. did something special last year. Do they?

weezie
04-05-2015, 01:09 AM
Get Kaminsky off the floor. Go at him nonstop. Don't let him dribble.

Run, run, run.

Acymetric
04-05-2015, 01:10 AM
Hilarious to hear Cal say things like "no other team will accomplish something like this". Hello? What separates Wichita St. last year and Kentucky this year? Kentucky won 3 more games before getting their only loss of the year. No one thinks Wichita St. did something special last year. Do they?

Amen.

sagegrouse
04-05-2015, 01:27 AM
Regardless of what happens in the championship game, UK will still be viewed as the best team this season, and rightfully so. But equating their formerly undefeated status with being one of the greatest teams ever wound up pushing them into the overrated category. Even before today's game, I would taken a handful of teams in the past few decades over them, including some of ours (1992, 1999, 2001).

To be fair, Towns switched onto Dekker and was, as Dekker knew, too slow to affect the step back attempt.

The story of the game was SCV, SCV, SCV..... As in shot clock violation. Really? Best team this season? Some big early season wins. Then Kentucky plays in a cupcake conference.

This team has no offense and tonight had no heart.

JetpackJesus
04-05-2015, 03:49 AM
To answer my own question:

yes wisconsin has enough offense to top UK's defense

To express another question concern:

crap. Wisconsin's offense is really good. will we be able to stop it? They're freakin good. Title game is a toss up IMO.

But Duke's offense is also considerably better than Kentucky's, and Kentucky was in the game until the end. Can Wisconsin stop Duke's really good offense?

Of course, everything I just said backs up your final point. The game is a toss up. I like Duke's chances, though.

DUKIE V(A)
04-05-2015, 08:06 AM

Agree that Kentucky is not an all-time best team (even in the last three years). Their championship team from three years ago and Louisville from two years ago were better IMO.

I also don't feel that Kentucky is the best team this year. They may have the most overall athletic talent, but they aren't the best team. The best team will be Monday's winner. I believe Duke, Wisconsin, and Arizona are better teams than Kentucky. Notre Dame also plays much better team basketball than Kentucky. Kentucky was fortunate to beat them.

Going 38-1 is an amazing accomplishment but their record is somewhat inflated. With a few notable exceptions, they did not have a challenging schedule. No road games against anyone who belonged on the court with them. No chance they go unbeaten in the ACC or Big Ten. Too many really strong teams and tough places to play. In the end, they were not battle tested enough and Coach Cal is not the in-game coach that some of these other guys are.

mgtr
04-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Several thoughts on Kentucky: One, prior to tonight I hadn't watched UK play much, and my thought was that Cal was a great recruiter and a fair coach. After tonight, I think Cal is just a carnival huckster. Duke got the better of him in the draft. Two, I cannot believe any team would draft Cauley-Stein. As others have said, he is athletic with no skills. Third, the Harrisons showed once again why they keep hanging around UK -- they fit right in. Fourth, while it would be great if we could have been the ones to beat, I am just happy that someone beat them.
Enough of that -- on to Monday night!

NYBri
04-05-2015, 08:32 AM

Congrats to the Badgers.

Justise is a great example of a class act. My favorite move he has made this year on the court was after the Zags game (I believe) during a post game standup interview when he grabbed QC as we walked by and said, "this is the guy you should be talking to."

NYBri
04-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Get Kaminsky off the floor. Go at him nonstop. Don't let him dribble.

Run, run, run.

This ^

TruBlu
04-05-2015, 08:56 AM
. . . lives on: To have 8 players drafted by the NBA.

Maybe he should reconsider his priorities.

Utley
04-05-2015, 09:50 AM
The story of the game was SCV, SCV, SCV..... As in shot clock violation. Really? Best team this season? Some big early season wins. Then Kentucky plays in a cupcake conference.

This team has no offense and tonight had no heart.

Totaly wit Sage on this. It felt like this game was Over and KY had broken Wiscy's will even bough the lead was only four. Then Cal goes to his version of stall and all but gave the game to Wiscy. Not to take anything away from Wiscy - they played really well and had some incredible spurts in both halves but I think it
F Ky doesn't go stall there we are playing them tomorrow night instead.

DavidBenAkiva
04-05-2015, 10:23 AM

That quote from Cal really got me, too. Ummm, 1991 UNLV, anyone? That team did almost exactly what UK just did. The difference is that UNLV was coming off of winning a National Championship.

bluenorth
04-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Several thoughts on Kentucky: One, prior to tonight I hadn't watched UK play much, and my thought was that Cal was a great recruiter and a fair coach. After tonight, I think Cal is just a carnival huckster. Duke got the better of him in the draft. Two, I cannot believe any team would draft Cauley-Stein. As others have said, he is athletic with no skills. Third, the Harrisons showed once again why they keep hanging around UK -- they fit right in. Fourth, while it would be great if we could have been the ones to beat, I am just happy that someone beat them.
Enough of that -- on to Monday night!

I have to agree about Calipari. He was definitely 'animated' on the sidelines, to the point that one of his assistants should have calmed the great man down. I wonder if his antics affected his players, or maybe they're used to them. And I'm with you again about your fourth point - just glad that UK went down.

uh_no
04-05-2015, 11:03 AM
I have to agree about Calipari. He was definitely 'animated' on the sidelines, to the point that one of his assistants should have calmed the great man down. I wonder if his antics affected his players, or maybe they're used to them. And I'm with you again about your fourth point - just glad that UK went down.

coach K wasn't on the floor at the time.

Not sure I've ever heard calipari referred to as a "great man"

Henderson
04-05-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm starting to like Wisconsin. I know that because I don't feel like I'll slit my wrists if we lose against them. Especially after what they did to Cal and the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Henderson
04-05-2015, 11:25 AM

If that bothers you, you could always bug his mirror.

Atlanta Duke
04-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Mark Bradley of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, who grew up in Kentucky, shares these thoughts

Shaquille O’Neal famously dubbed his former coach Stan Van Gundy the master of panic. Calipari may have minored in it.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/class-shows-duke-dismisses-michigan-state/nkm7Y/?icmp=ajc_internallink_invitationbox_apr2013_ajcst ubtomyajcpremium#ad9523bb.257153.735693

NSDukeFan
04-05-2015, 11:39 AM

I agree that Wisconsin is an enjoyable team to watch and I would not be nearly as disappointed to lose to them as I would if Duke lost to UK.

Did Calipari say: "we're good" at halftime of this one like he did in the Notre Dame game. It's tough to keep winning when you play against really good teams. UK had a great year and were definitely one of the best teams this year and had the best season. There just wasn't the separation between them and the next 4-5 best teams in the country that their record seemed to suggest.

Saratoga2
04-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Agree that Kentucky is not an all-time best team (even in the last three years). Their championship team from three years ago and Louisville from two years ago were better IMO.

I also don't feel that Kentucky is the best team this year. They may have the most overall athletic talent, but they aren't the best team. The best team will be Monday's winner. I believe Duke, Wisconsin, and Arizona are better teams than Kentucky. Notre Dame also plays much better team basketball than Kentucky. Kentucky was fortunate to beat them.

Going 38-1 is an amazing accomplishment but their record is somewhat inflated. With a few notable exceptions, they did not have a challenging schedule. No road games against anyone who belonged on the court with them. No chance they go unbeaten in the ACC or Big Ten. Too many really strong teams and tough places to play. In the end, they were not battle tested enough and Coach Cal is not the in-game coach that some of these other guys are.

The best thing Calipari does is recruit and I am skeptical that is on the up and up based on his history.

Utley
04-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Just listened to Anarchy in the UK :)

freshmanjs
04-05-2015, 04:29 PM
The best thing Calipari does is recruit and I am skeptical that is on the up and up based on his history.

why the tired bashing of Cal's coaching? He's made the final four in 4 of the last 5 seasons. In the last 10 years, he has 5 final fours, 3 elite eights, and a sweet sixteen. that is outstanding. you don't accomplish that if you can't coach.

uh_no
04-05-2015, 04:47 PM
why the tired bashing of Cal's coaching? He's made the final four in 4 of the last 5 seasons. In the last 10 years, he has 5 final fours, 3 elite eights, and a sweet sixteen. that is outstanding. you don't accomplish that if you can't coach.

yes you do, if you have the most talent. and his coaching inability is very clear in many of his losses.

2015: the team really never played any cohesive offense and generally just out-athleted people. which is great until you run into some other teams that are good, who can play reasonable defense, and you get stuck in a rut. this resulted in more than their fair share of close games
2015: claims he doesn't show his team any tape, because they want to focuse on what THEY do and not what the other team does. no wonder this guy was a failure in the NBA
2010: a mediocre shooting team shot something like 30 threes against WV in an elite 8 loss. How as a coach do you let that happen? He then went on to claim that the team was looking ahead to beating duke. If your team is looking ahead to a potential opponent, that's 100% on the coach
2013: took a fairly talented team, by all means, and barn stormed their way all the way to the NIT

My biggest gripe with him (other than being a genuine ninkompoop) is that the dribble drive offense is NOT an offense. IT's not anything. He takes good athletes and puts them on the floor, gets them to play defense (credit to him) and runs an offense equivalent to throwing mud at a wall. It works great all year in the SEC, and back at memphis in CUSA where the teams aren't as athletic. they just alley-oop it all day long. but when you come across wisconsin, you come across Uconn (2011, 2014), you come across Duke, they aren't going to give you the easy stuff, and then calipari looks like a deer lost in the headlights. He doesn't have a clue.

Character issues aside, there are probably 10 coaches I'd take before calipari, talent being equal.

K
Izzo
Bo Ryan
Billy Donavan
Rick Pitino
Mike Brey
Jay Wright
Bill Self

Off the top of my head.

freshmanjs
04-05-2015, 04:49 PM
yes you do, if you have the most talent. and his coaching inability is very clear in many of his losses.

2015: the team really never played any cohesive offense and generally just out-athleted people. which is great until you run into some other teams that are good, who can play reasonable defense, and you get stuck in a rut. this resulted in more than their fair share of close games
2015: claims he doesn't show his team any tape, because they want to focuse on what THEY do and not what the other team does. no wonder this guy was a failure in the NBA
2010: a mediocre shooting team shot something like 30 threes against WV in an elite 8 loss. How as a coach do you let that happen? He then went on to claim that the team was looking ahead to beating duke. If your team is looking ahead to a potential opponent, that's 100% on the coach
2013: took a fairly talented team, by all means, and barn stormed their way all the way to the NIT

My biggest gripe with him (other than being a genuine ninkompoop) is that the dribble drive offense is NOT an offense. IT's not anything. He takes good athletes and puts them on the floor, gets them to play defense (credit to him) and runs an offense equivalent to throwing mud at a wall. It works great all year in the SEC, and back at memphis in CUSA where the teams aren't as athletic. they just alley-oop it all day long. but when you come across wisconsin, you come across Uconn (2011, 2014), you come across Duke, they aren't going to give you the easy stuff, and then calipari looks like a deer lost in the headlights. He doesn't have a clue.

Character issues aside, there are probably 10 coaches I'd take before calipari, talent being equal.

K
Izzo
Bo Ryan
Billy Donavan
Rick Pitino
Mike Brey
Jay Wright
Bill Self

Off the top of my head.

and yet none of those guys has had anything close to Cal's NCAA tournament success in the last 10 years.

SoCalDukeFan
04-05-2015, 05:08 PM
and yet none of those guys has had anything close to Cal's NCAA tournament success in the last 10 years.

Billy Donovan has back to back championships in the last 10 years.

Calipari gets great recruits. He has a system that lets them play very well even if they are only at KY for a year. He also does a very good job of getting his players to play as a team and can utilize a lot of players effectively. However I think he is far from a great coach, certainly not a great game coach. The offense he put in towards the end last night lead to 3 shot clock violations. I think it was against UConn last year that he realized too late that he should call time out. How did Memphis blow a 9 point lead in the last 2 minutes?

If you have great athletes playing hard as a team then you are going to win a lot of games. And if you can utilize a deep rotation even more games. Honesty and character issues aside, I don't think he is a bad coach, but I don't think he is a great coach either. And when the talent level is not there, his teams do poorly.

SoCal

Duke3517
04-05-2015, 05:40 PM
I'm wondering if Kentucky not seeing any good quality guard play all year until the tournament hurt them in the end?

gurufrisbee
04-05-2015, 05:45 PM

But in 10 years from now they will all have numerous players with college degrees AND they won't have had to forfeit all that NCAA tournament success

freshmanjs
04-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Billy Donovan has back to back championships in the last 10 years.

Calipari gets great recruits. He has a system that lets them play very well even if they are only at KY for a year. He also does a very good job of getting his players to play as a team and can utilize a lot of players effectively. However I think he is far from a great coach, certainly not a great game coach. The offense he put in towards the end last night lead to 3 shot clock violations. I think it was against UConn last year that he realized too late that he should call time out. How did Memphis blow a 9 point lead in the last 2 minutes?

If you have great athletes playing hard as a team then you are going to win a lot of games. And if you can utilize a deep rotation even more games. Honesty and character issues aside, I don't think he is a bad coach, but I don't think he is a great coach either. And when the talent level is not there, his teams do poorly.

SoCal

not sure what the "huh?" is for. i am aware of Billy's 2 championships. He also missed the tournament completely 3 times in that stretch, had a first round loss, and has 3 final fours compared to cal's 5. to me that's clearly less success over the period.

bluenorth
04-05-2015, 06:32 PM
coach K wasn't on the floor at the time.

I like it!

And outside of the Kentucky area you're probably right. What's the old saying? He was a legend in his own mind.

DrChainsaw
04-05-2015, 06:46 PM
I agree that Wisconsin is an enjoyable team to watch and I would not be nearly as disappointed to lose to them as I would if Duke lost to UK.

Good had already triumphed over evil, so some semblance of order is maintained. Now, it's just a question of whether gooder Good prevails, or not-quite-so-good Good does.

Gooder Good would be awesome, but I'd be not so bad with not-quite-so-good.

NSDukeFan
04-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Good had already triumphed over evil, so some semblance of order is maintained. Now, it's just a question of whether gooder Good prevails, or not-quite-so-good Good does.

Gooder Good would be awesome, but I'd be not so bad with not-quite-so-good.

Obviously Duke winning would be the bestest best and we have certainly avoided the worstest of the worst.

cspan37421
04-05-2015, 08:26 PM
haven't read whole thread, so sorry if this repeats something said earlier ...

But we used to be the team to keep players for 4 years. We used to be the team whose coach recruited good players and made them great. (Now we recruit great players, who play great). Point is, Wisconsin reminds me of Duke from yesteryear.

Anyway, I am beyond impressed with our rapid and dramatic defensive improvement. We had a matador defense for quite a bit of the year. No longer. IIRC last time I checked kenpom our defensive efficiency was #12. This is after not being in the top 50 for much of the year! Maybe even teetering on breaching 100 at some point early on - I forget. Anyway it was not really good and it was hard to imagine going far in the NCAAT if that kept up. I thought another upperclass team might be able to oust us early, like last year. That we have made it to the title game, and have a very good chance to win that one, well, I can't recall a mid-season turnaround like it. Big ups to the coaching staff ... they figured out something, definitely. They'll have their work cut out for them with #1 offense in Wisconsin, but we should be able to do well against wisky's #55 defense.

I used to think, boy, wouldn't it be great if we could spoil Kentucky's 39-0 record in the final?! They'd hate us forever. Well, they already do, so it's a moot point. We'd have been quite an underdog, for once ... playing with house money, nothing to lose. I think we are a slight underdog to Wisconsin, but that's all.

Rip 'em up, tear 'em up, give 'em hell, Duke!

fan345678
04-05-2015, 10:03 PM
A recent national champion from a lesser major conference went undefeated with a couple of close games that really shouldn’t have been. They won their conference championship and were named one of the top four teams going into the national tournament. They could have been the first team to go undefeated under the current tournament format, but they lost in the national semifinals to a team that had faced tougher competition all year.

I wonder how good they’ll be without Jameis Winston.