PDA

View Full Version : What a fun ride this year

wrengaw
03-25-2015, 10:25 PM
I'm a lifelong fan, a long time DBR reader, and now a first time poster.

I just wanted to reflect on what a fun team this has been to support all year. We've seen:

• Sublime big man offensive moves (seriously, Jah!?)
• Standout performances in our toughest games (Tyus @ Wisc)
• Periodic "man among boys" moments (most of Winslow's blocks)
• Coaching moves that prove K is as engaged and nimble as ever (zone @ Louisville)
• Adversity overcome with aplomb (Sheed's dismissal)
• Surprise outbursts that point to next year's potential (Grayson's 27 points vs. Wake)
• And let's not forget Cook's steady on-court performances and leadership

K talks about whether a team has the "it" factor. I won't try to define "it" any more than K, but I do feel this team has "it". We're not perfect and we may rarely string together 40 straight minutes of our very best effort. That said we absolutely play together and usually play our best when facing our toughest challenges.

Of course I want Duke to win four more games. I even feel (uncomfortably) confident we can at least get to the Finals given our remaining draw. Regardless I am extra-proud to be a Duke fan this year. Can't wait for Friday night! Let's go Duke!

UrinalCake
03-26-2015, 12:12 AM
It has definitely been an entertaining year. What I remember most are the number of "must-win" games we had. After getting into that early hole with the two losses, it felt like we just couldn't afford to lose any games, and there were always more big games ahead. Then when Rasheed got dismissed it really looked like the season was over.

Unfortunately, we tend to remember the season only by how it ends, which is a shame. Last year gave us some amazing moments too, but most have been forgotten.

jv001
03-26-2015, 07:31 AM
It has definitely been an entertaining year. What I remember most are the number of "must-win" games we had. After getting into that early hole with the two losses, it felt like we just couldn't afford to lose any games, and there were always more big games ahead. Then when Rasheed got dismissed it really looked like the season was over.

Unfortunately, we tend to remember the season only by how it ends, which is a shame. Last year gave us some amazing moments too, but most have been forgotten.

This team is easy to love. They seem to really enjoy playing together and have each other's back. I've enjoyed this season and hope it continues for four more games. But if it ends Friday, I can say that I'm not disappointed in these guys. For the most part, they have given their all. GoDuke!

NYBri
03-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Most enjoyable team to watch in a long time.

NancyCarol
03-26-2015, 09:34 AM
Thanks for this thread. It has been a tremendous team to watch. I always love Duke, always appreciate the dignity of K, but this year has been something really special. No matter what happens from here on, it was a heck of a ride. Go Duke.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Don't worry guys and gals, I have a feeling we are in store for more memorable moments. I remember being terrified of games in the post season since 2010. With this team I just look forward to watching them play!!!

Clay Feet POF
03-26-2015, 02:07 PM
The most Rewarding thing for me is this is a team of all players, no more 3 bench players with few minutes as in previous years. I think this has a major impact on this year’s success! GO DUKE

camion
03-26-2015, 02:30 PM
These guys are easy to like and pull for. I am enjoying the ride this year.

Let me repeat advice I've given before. The are the good old days you will look back on fondly some day. Enjoy them now too and double your pleasure.

Hingeknocker
03-26-2015, 04:30 PM
As Friday night gets closer and closer, the nervous anxiety is reaching a tipping point for me. I thank the OP for starting this thread, because it's one of the most important things I find myself needing to do each season: enjoy the ride, because nothing at the end is promised. The 2006 season was my Junior year at Duke, and I can vividly remember wishing that the Regular Season would fly by; March couldn't come fast enough. Of course, that team had the highest of expectations, but by the end of the year when things didn't work out as hoped for, I realized the folly of that line of thinking. As cliche as it is, the experience truly is in the journey. To me, you have to be able to appreciate all of the little steps along the way, and by focusing more on those things, it leaves indelible memories that aren't affected by the end result in March. This year's team already has cemented some of those indelible memories (1K, winning so many tough road games, sweeping Carolina), so in certain respects, whatever comes next is just going to be the cherry on top of what's come before.

It's the single most difficult thing for me as a sports fan to do - appreciate the journey regardless of the final game, but this year's team is incredibly likable, talented, and as others have mentioned, has that special quality where I just love to watch them play. Hopefully they'll get four more chances to do just that.

MCFinARL
03-26-2015, 04:52 PM
The most Rewarding thing for me is this is a team of all players, no more 3 bench players with few minutes as in previous years. I think this has a major impact on this year’s success! GO DUKE

True, although to be fair that is partly because, once you leave out the walk ons, the bench is shorter this year than it usually is. That being said, they do all contribute at least some meaningful minutes, and they all seem to be fully invested in the team and in each other.