PDA

View Full Version : MBB Coaching Carousel -- Duke related (incl. Capel/Hurley reports)

luburch
03-24-2015, 01:19 PM
http://collegebasketball.scout.com/story/1530772-scout-source-asu-contacts-targets-capel?s=196&utm_content=buffer86e2b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Not surprising, especially with Keeley's (I believe) comments earlier this season.

Billy Dat
03-24-2015, 01:21 PM
http://collegebasketball.scout.com/story/1530772-scout-source-asu-contacts-targets-capel?s=196&utm_content=buffer86e2b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Not surprising, especially with Keeley's (I believe) comments earlier this season.

I know he's going to leave eventually, but that would be a big blow. He has been the man behind our recruiting renaissance, right?

roywhite
03-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Didn't realize they had bounced our old friend Herb Sendek.

Good opportunity for Jeff IMO.

**edit -- I see Olympic Fan had the news of Herb's dismissal in the Coaching Carousel thread.

Kfanarmy
03-24-2015, 01:26 PM
That job may be a career killer...AZ and UCLA are the big names, not sure what you gain by being HC there.,,well maybe $, but expect to be going back down in salary quickly in a few short years...hard to compete on the recruiting trail with those schools.

Duvall
03-24-2015, 01:26 PM
I know he's going to leave eventually, but that would be a big blow. He has been the man behind our recruiting renaissance, right?

Not really, unless you focus on this year's freshmen.

luburch
03-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Not really, unless you focus on this year's freshmen.

Losing Collins, Wojo, and now possibly Capel in such a short time frame is rough though.

NM Duke Fan
03-24-2015, 01:37 PM
I hope he waits for a better situation. Personally the Phoenix metro area is one of the last I would want to live in, I have been there many times. In due time I hope he lands at a school with excellent potential to become a model program, and with good academics. Kind of like a couple of other former K assistants. In addition, with the recent departures it would be nice to have him around for at least another year, maybe two...

BigZ
03-24-2015, 01:42 PM
I hope he waits for a better situation. Personally the Phoenix metro area is one of the last I would want to live in, I have been there many times. In due time I hope he lands at a school with excellent potential to become a model program, and with good academics. Kind of like a couple of other former K assistants. In addition, with the recent departures it would be nice to have him around for at least another year, maybe two...

you must be married, b/c there are a lot of good reasons to live in the Scottsdale / Tempe area if you know what I mean.

CDu
03-24-2015, 01:57 PM
He has been the man behind our recruiting renaissance, right?

I don't know if that is true or not. Our biggest recruiting gets since Capel returned have been Okafor and Parker, and both of those guys are Chicago guys (Coach K doesn't miss on Chicago guys). And Nate James has been given some credit for his work in recruiting.

Not saying that losing Capel will help us in recruiting, just not sure how much of our recent success in recruiting was due to his work.

Leelee902
03-24-2015, 02:04 PM
When it comes to the texas kids we've been landing, I think he's been very helpful. He knows the ropes of that area after his years at Oklahoma.

CameronBornAndBred
03-24-2015, 02:24 PM
Hopefully they will patiently wait until after we win the championship before talking to him. I hate the idea of a distraction this time of year.

luburch
03-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Well, there's this:

@GaryParrishCBS: The Arizona State job is “Jeff Capel’s if he wants it,” a source connected to the ASU program told @CBSSports. Story coming.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Not to put the cart way before the horse, but I think that Coach Capel would have a conversation with Coach K about succession planning at Duke before leaving town.

sagegrouse
03-24-2015, 02:34 PM
I don't know if that is true or not. Our biggest recruiting gets since Capel returned have been Okafor and Parker, and both of those guys are Chicago guys (Coach K doesn't miss on Chicago guys). And Nate James has been given some credit for his work in recruiting.

Not saying that losing Capel will help us in recruiting, just not sure how much of our recent success in recruiting was due to his work.

Capel, so I understand, has really good ties in Texas. That means Winslow and Matt Jones on the current roster, and also Rasheed.

wolfpackdevil
03-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Coach Capel makes about $300,000 a year to be the assistant coach here at his alma mater. I believe has a very good chance to be Coach K's successor in four or five years. Why would he take a job like Arizona State? There is no upside to that job, and he would be competing against one of the best programs in the country right now, Arizona. I would be shocked if he took this job.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Capel, so I understand, has really good ties in Texas. That means Winslow and Matt Jones on the current roster, and also Rasheed.

If I were Capel, and patient, the Texas job may well be open next year.

Hope he stays in Durham for personal reasons obviously, but -- if he is going, does he really want a program with little natural recruiting base and minimal history? Nothing against AZSt, whose fans were outstanding and friendly at the Sun Bowl this year. But Texas is a plum job.

Duvall
03-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Hope he stays in Durham for personal reasons obviously, but -- if he is going, does he really want a program with little natural recruiting base and minimal history? Nothing against AZSt, whose fans were outstanding and friendly at the Sun Bowl this year. But Texas is a plum job.

The Texas job may well be open next week. Still, could Texas bring themselves to hire a coach that Oklahoma fired? Even in basketball UT may be too arrogant to make that move.

nmduke2001
03-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Coach Capel makes about $300,000 a year to be the assistant coach here at his alma mater. I believe has a very good chance to be Coach K's successor in four or five years. Why would he take a job like Arizona State? There is no upside to that job, and he would be competing against one of the best programs in the country right now, Arizona. I would be shocked if he took this job.

Sendek was making $1.2 million. That's about $900,000 of upside. If he does well there, he'll still have a shot at Duke in the future.

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2015, 03:00 PM

This is interesting. Arizona State would be a stepping stone to something greater (like a Texas job or, hell, the Wisconsin job. NOTE to Posters: these are examples, and I'm merely pointing out coaching at a middle-of-the-pack BCS team and moving up to a much better job). But waiting can pay real dividends, in the form of the Texas job or something similar.

Likewise, I see Capel as one of the few potential heirs to Coach K. Brey is probably too old, Dawkins hasn't proven himself, Amaker wasn't successful at a major BCS program (but is successful at a mid-major), and Collins/Wojo/Hurley are all really raw. Capel has coached successfully at a BCS school, has recruited some top players at both Oklahoma and Duke, and has a lot of the personal qualities you want in a head coach. He has a terrible few years at the end of his tenure at Oklahoma, so there is that ding against him. But lining him up against more other potential candidates, he does look like the best.

Duke95
03-24-2015, 03:11 PM
I think we all knew that it was only a matter of time before Capel was offered a major coaching position. Still, he would be a significant loss for Duke.

Duvall
03-24-2015, 03:13 PM
This is interesting. Arizona State would be a stepping stone to something greater (like a Texas job or, hell, the Wisconsin job. NOTE to Posters: these are examples, and I'm merely pointing out coaching at a middle-of-the-pack BCS team and moving up to a much better job). But waiting can pay real dividends, in the form of the Texas job or something similar.

Likewise, I see Capel as one of the few potential heirs to Coach K. Brey is probably too old, Dawkins hasn't proven himself, Amaker wasn't successful at a major BCS program (but is successful at a mid-major), and Collins/Wojo/Hurley are all really raw. Capel has coached successfully at a BCS school, has recruited some top players at both Oklahoma and Duke, and has a lot of the personal qualities you want in a head coach. He has a terrible few years at the end of his tenure at Oklahoma, so there is that ding against him. But lining him up against more other potential candidates, he does look like the best.

Unless you expand the list of potential candidates to include the rest of college basketball. But that is a discussion for another day.

jimsumner
03-24-2015, 03:15 PM

Capel may well be a good idea for K's replacement. But why do we keep assuming that Duke will only look at former Duke guys?

Duke95
03-24-2015, 03:18 PM
Capel may well be a good idea for K's replacement. But why do we keep assuming that Duke will only look at former Duke guys?

Because:

1) There are a lot of Duke guys who are good coaches.
2) The same reason UNC looked at Guthridge, Doherty, then Williams after Dean.

roywhite
03-24-2015, 03:20 PM

Maybe because Coach K has for many years filled the assistant positions exclusively with Duke guys? And that he may express a preference for his successor to come from that group?

No inside info myself, just the way it appears from here.

InSpades
03-24-2015, 03:24 PM
I don't see Capel as being "next in line". He had 1 great, 1 good and 3 poor seasons at Oklahoma. He was good but not great at VCU. I'm sure he's done a great job as an assistant for K but the same could be said for many other guys. His time at Oklahoma was always marred by some NCAA violations (whether they were his fault or not).

Does that really put him ahead of guys like Amaker and Dawkins? If so I don't see why...

I think the next head coach of Duke will be someone who has a head coaching job. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the job ended up going "outside of the family". Someone like Brad Stevens if he came back to college ball. Someone like Mark Few if they could pry him away from the west coast. It's really hard to say what could happen in say 5 years time. If it is a Duke assistant I would expect it to be someone hand picked by K and who basically starts to "take over" the job even before K officially hangs them up. That could be Capel of course... but I wouldn't bet on any one in particular. The next hiring will be huge for Duke... it's very hard to follow a legend. Look at the post-Dean years at UNC.

Duke95
03-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Personally, I hope Capel turns down the ASU job. That's a football school through and through. Why go there?
Wait for a program like Texas, Wisconsin, etc. I don't see much upside from ASU except the initial $$.

duke79
03-24-2015, 03:35 PM
I don't see Capel as being "next in line". He had 1 great, 1 good and 3 poor seasons at Oklahoma. He was good but not great at VCU. I'm sure he's done a great job as an assistant for K but the same could be said for many other guys. His time at Oklahoma was always marred by some NCAA violations (whether they were his fault or not).

Does that really put him ahead of guys like Amaker and Dawkins? If so I don't see why...

I think the next head coach of Duke will be someone who has a head coaching job. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the job ended up going "outside of the family". Someone like Brad Stevens if he came back to college ball. Someone like Mark Few if they could pry him away from the west coast. It's really hard to say what could happen in say 5 years time. If it is a Duke assistant I would expect it to be someone hand picked by K and who basically starts to "take over" the job even before K officially hangs them up. That could be Capel of course... but I wouldn't bet on any one in particular. The next hiring will be huge for Duke... it's very hard to follow a legend. Look at the post-Dean years at UNC.

Agreed !! (Plus way too early to speculate)

bedeviled
03-24-2015, 03:39 PM
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/es_g3GdU4TsHXvtpluUpCdEE9ls=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2364676/868080434.0.gif

Oh, no, Quin. He doesn't mean "best looking." That's a topic for another thread.

https://jazzfanatical.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/quin-smiley.gif?w=400&h=280

Billy Dat
03-24-2015, 03:46 PM
While I doubt he'd ever go back to college, bedeviled as highlighted a key member of the tree, the only K minion to get an NBA head coaching gig.

cato
03-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Because:

1) There are a lot of Duke guys who are good coaches.
2) The same reason UNC looked at Guthridge, Doherty, then Williams after Dean.

There are no Duke guys who have had the success Roy Williams had at Kansas.

Gut and Doh do no speak highly of the "look only within the family" approach.

But as Duvall said, that is a discussion for another day.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Personally, I hope Capel turns down the ASU job. That's a football school through and through. Why go there?
Wait for a program like Texas, Wisconsin, etc. I don't see much upside from ASU except the initial $$.

?

Not sure if serious....

Duke95
03-24-2015, 04:07 PM
?

Not sure if serious....

Yep, I'm serious. Texas is a football school with a decent basketball program. They were top 10 this year at one point and recruit top players (see Myles Turner).
Wisconsin has both.

Or maybe you were asking a rhetorical question, because the answer was pretty obvious...

Indoor66
03-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Maybe because Coach K has for many years filled the assistant positions exclusively with Duke guys? And that he may express a preference for his successor to come from that group?

I personally believe that K has too much integrity to insist that his successor be someone he coached. I believe he will favor selection of the best candidate and only ask that his players-now-coaches be given a fair consideration. No knowledge, just an opinion based on the character of K.

Olympic Fan
03-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Fair question.

Arizona State has never had a lot of success in basketball. They had couple of brief spurts under Ned Wulk, who was there from 1957 to 1982, but they topped out with one Elite Eight and a few WAC championships.

Two things killed the program -- moving from the WAC to the Pac 10/12 and the rise of Arizona basketball under Lite Olson in the early 1980s (before that, the Wildcats were a similar program).

In the last 30 years, nobody has succeed in Tempe. Good facilities, plenty of money, a nice place to live and a power conference.

But also no natural recruiting territory, a fan vase that prefers football and no history of success.

It would be a tough task for Capel.

FerryFor50
03-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Yep, I'm serious. Texas is a football school with a decent basketball program. They were top 10 this year at one point and recruit top players (see Myles Turner).
Wisconsin has both.

Or maybe you were asking a rhetorical question, because the answer was pretty obvious...

Well, if we're being serious... Isn't Duke a football school?

Troublemaker
03-24-2015, 04:23 PM
While I doubt he'd ever go back to college, bedeviled as highlighted a key member of the tree, the only K minion to get an NBA head coaching gig.

Yes, and Quin's done a great job with Utah in his first year there. If his success there continues over the next few years, he might actually become my favorite of all the Duke-lings. I love that he has both the Duke coaching experience and also time in the Spurs organization. In my nerd mind, that marriage might somehow produce the perfect coach. But, like you said, he might not be interested in returning to college if he has that continued success with the Jazz over the next few years. Plus, *Duke* might not be interested because Quin's tenure at Missouri ended poorly, including some NCAA infractions. Finally, as painful as this is to write, guys like Quin, Tommy, and Johnny might all be considered too old in a few years for the job.

DukeInCA
03-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Who do you think will be a replacement? I feel like Paulus or even Shane is too young.

Duvall
03-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Who do you think will be a replacement? I feel like Paulus or even Shane is too young.

A replacement for Capel? Paulus has been an assistant for three seasons at Navy and Ohio State, which is actually pretty experienced for getting a spot as a new Duke assistant coach. But yeah, there won't be a lot of experience on the bench if Capel leaves, especially compared to where Duke was just two years ago.

Wander
03-24-2015, 04:33 PM
That job may be a career killer...AZ and UCLA are the big names, not sure what you gain by being HC there

Do you expect Kansas or Arizona or UCLA to hire someone who was fired at Oklahoma?

I'm not a fan of even mediocre basketball schools from power conferences hiring Duke assistants. I think that's probably part of the reason K's tree has not been as successful as it could be. This stuff works better when a coach proves himself in the lower ranks (where the term "proves himself" doesn't necessarily mean postseason success), as was done by Coach K, Pitino, Donovan, Calipari, Self, Matta, Ryan, Huggins, Wright, Miller, and so on, rather than hiring someone because they're the assistant of someone famous. This doesn't directly apply to Capel, of course, since he coached at VCU, but I think part of the same spirit applies - he needs to prove himself somewhere again before we seriously consider him at Duke.

Mike Brey? You know how this year, Duke's defense was a weakness? Our defense this season would be Mike Brey's best defense ever. Yuck.

DukeInCA
03-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Do you guys think Jay Williams would want to coach ala Hubert Davis?

cspan37421
03-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Amaker wasn't successful at a major BCS program (but is successful at a mid-major),

I do not know why even some Duke fans blame Amaker for being a .500 coach at Michigan (actually .563! though slighly below .500 in-conference). IIRC, they went on probation before the ink was dry on his contract. He was operating with one hand tied behind his back. His performance there was remarkable under the recruiting circumstances.

Duke95
03-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Well, if we're being serious... Isn't Duke a football school?

LOL.

I still remember sitting in the stands as a student watching other teams just crap on us. What a great turnaround it's been.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Wisconsin has both.

Texas could go to five final fours in a row and fail to hit .500 in football those years and would still be considered a football school in my book. There's an awful lot more passion, history, and money behind their football program, best I can tell.

I'm not arguing it with you, I'm just surprised that one would consider ASU to be more of a football school than the Longhorns.

Duke95
03-24-2015, 04:50 PM
A replacement for Capel? Paulus has been an assistant for three seasons at Navy and Ohio State, which is actually pretty experienced for getting a spot as a new Duke assistant coach. But yeah, there won't be a lot of experience on the bench if Capel leaves, especially compared to where Duke was just two years ago.

My first choice would be to have Capel stay. If he leaves, honestly, I would love to see JWill come back as an assistant at Duke.
Love it. Not sure if it's even remotely an option he'd consider, but I'd be ecstatic.

Duke95
03-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Texas could go to five final fours in a row and fail to hit .500 in football those years and would still be considered a football school in my book. There's an awful lot more passion, history, and money behind their football program, best I can tell.

I'm not arguing it with you, I'm just surprised that one would consider ASU to be more of a football school than the Longhorns.

Well, what I was saying is that ASU is a football school "through and through", meaning that it's really its sole source of success among the major sports. Texas has been successful and continues to be successful in basketball. Plus, it's an attractive destination for recruits there.

But certainly as far as football, I doubt there's a state that takes the sport more seriously than Texas. I think they have high schools there with bigger stadiums than ours.

CameronBornAndBred
03-24-2015, 05:14 PM

Fair question.

Arizona State has never had a lot of success in basketball. They had couple of brief spurts under Ned Wulk, who was there from 1957 to 1982, but they topped out with one Elite Eight and a few WAC championships.

Two things killed the program -- moving from the WAC to the Pac 10/12 and the rise of Arizona basketball under Lite Olson in the early 1980s (before that, the Wildcats were a similar program).

In the last 30 years, nobody has succeed in Tempe. Good facilities, plenty of money, a nice place to live and a power conference.

But also no natural recruiting territory, a fan vase that prefers football and no history of success.

It would be a tough task for Capel.

Swap schools, swap sports, and then go talk to David Cutcliffe. Why go? Because you know you can succeed when everyone else says you can't.

Duke79UNLV77
03-24-2015, 05:19 PM
I do not know why even some Duke fans blame Amaker for being a .500 coach at Michigan (actually .563! though slighly below .500 in-conference). IIRC, they went on probation before the ink was dry on his contract. He was operating with one hand tied behind his back. His performance there was remarkable under the recruiting circumstances.

Agreed. Amaker fell just on the wrong side off the bubble more than once, which made a big difference in term of perception and momentum. Besides recovering from sanctions, he had to compete with some guy named Izzo in the same state. What he's done at Harvard has been truly remarkable, but he may just be content to stay there. Now, the young coach at Buffalo ...

SCMatt33
03-24-2015, 05:34 PM
I think it is just plain wrong to fire a coach during a tournament while the team is still playing. AND to go after a coach on another team while THEY are still playing. There should be a special foul called for this. The players have enough pressure without this going on.

This was brought up in the other thread, and I don't believe this has been mentioned yet (sorry if I missed it somewhere), but Arizona State has some famous history hiring coaches whose teams are still playing. I of coarse refer to them hiring Bill Frieder away from Michigan prior to the 1989 NCAA tournament. Frieder intended to finish out the year, but Bo Schembechler famously forced him out saying that "A Michigan man will coach Michigan." That team went on to win the NCAA tournament led by Steve Fisher, whom Duke just beat in the round of 32. Lots of full circle action right there!

OldPhiKap
03-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Texas was a football school.

Now, Texas is a product that must fill the Longhorn Network with quality programming.

Stakes (steaks?) have been raised.

Plus, let's face it -- it is hard to think of a coach who has done less with more than Rick Barnes.

Henderson
03-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Lots of good suggestions here about how Jeff Capel should arrange his life. Probably lots of things he's never thought of.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Lots of good suggestions here about how Jeff Capel should arrange his life. Probably lots of things he's never thought of.

Scrapbooking is a good hobby. Just throwing that out there.

Newton_14
03-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Do you expect Kansas or Arizona or UCLA to hire someone who was fired at Oklahoma?

I'm not a fan of even mediocre basketball schools from power conferences hiring Duke assistants. I think that's probably part of the reason K's tree has not been as successful as it could be. This stuff works better when a coach proves himself in the lower ranks (where the term "proves himself" doesn't necessarily mean postseason success), as was done by Coach K, Pitino, Donovan, Calipari, Self, Matta, Ryan, Huggins, Wright, Miller, and so on, rather than hiring someone because they're the assistant of someone famous. This doesn't directly apply to Capel, of course, since he coached at VCU, but I think part of the same spirit applies - he needs to prove himself somewhere again before we seriously consider him at Duke.

Mike Brey? You know how this year, Duke's defense was a weakness? Our defense this season would be Mike Brey's best defense ever. Yuck.

Agree wholly. As an example... how well would Johnny Dawkins be doing if he were at Kansas instead of Stanford the last 8 or 9 years? How well would Collins be doing were he at Mich St, Wisconsin, Indiana rather than Northwestern... People can rave about Roy Williams success at Kansas all they want, but how well would he had done at Arizona St or South Carolina, or Iowa St, for example. Or at NC State or Clemson, rather than UNC?

I think history would be a wee bit different. Just my opinion.

As for Capel, I hope he does not take ASU. He can get a better job than that. He does not need any additional HC experience at low level school. He can go directly to a Big Name job directly from the Duke Bench he is currently sitting on.

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Now, the young coach at Buffalo ...

By the time K is ready to retire, Bobby will be in his late 40s and ready to return. What better preparation could there be than having played for his dad and K?

NancyCarol
03-24-2015, 07:23 PM
This was brought up in the other thread, and I don't believe this has been mentioned yet (sorry if I missed it somewhere), but Arizona State has some famous history hiring coaches whose teams are still playing. I of coarse refer to them hiring Bill Frieder away from Michigan prior to the 1989 NCAA tournament. Frieder intended to finish out the year, but Bo Schembechler famously forced him out saying that "A Michigan man will coach Michigan." That team went on to win the NCAA tournament led by Steve Fisher, whom Duke just beat in the round of 32. Lots of full circle action right there!

Yes that was my quote. I'm very familiar with ASU Sun Devils and those actions. Some people told me Arizona was out of their tournament at this point, but I was making a more general reference. I was probably inarticulate. I just think all the coaching changes could wait...not for the coaches but for the kids - the unpaid and dedicated kids - who make up the teams.

gurufrisbee
03-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Any word on how hot the seat at Stanford is? Rumor was it was getting pretty toasty and they missed the tourney again. Just thinking if Capel is leaving....

moonpie23
03-24-2015, 08:26 PM
maybe i'm just not seeing it correctly, but, with the up-tick in recruiting, the visible "co-coaching" on the sideline, and the camaraderie amongst the entire duke team and staff, why would Capel even THINK of leaving?

i'm sure that johnny, bobby and even chris collins have been thought of as successors, but to me, it's looking like a shoe in for Capel...

jmho

Phoenix22
03-24-2015, 08:30 PM
As someone who lives in Tempe I would support Capel coming here. Its a pretty great place to live. However, they have never been very good at basketball and have to compete with that team in Tucson.

There aren't really many Dukies around here. We could always use a few more!!!

DBFAN
03-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Here is my take, and obviously it's just some brain storming. Capel helped land Parker, Okafor, Jones, and Winslow. If he takes the ASU job, and Giles is still in play..maybe the persons name we heard mentioned in the off season may be coming to help land him. Not Gonna say his name but he was a pretty good PG and his initials are Jay Williams

Newton_14
03-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Here is my take, and obviously it's just some brain storming. Capel helped land Parker, Okafor, Jones, and Winslow. If he takes the ASU job, and Giles is still in play..maybe the persons name we heard mentioned in the off season may be coming to help land him. Not Gonna say his name but he was a pretty good PG and his initials are Jay Williams

Were Capel to leave, I would love to see Jason Williams on the bench as an assistant coach. I think he would be a great fit. Tyler Thornton would be a great fit as well, though he is young and I assume K would not steal him away from Wojo.

Heck, maybe Bilas would like to follow in the footsteps of his buddy Hubert and return to his Alma Mater as an assistant again. :)

I kind of feel Laettner would be interested as well. Not sure how good of a recruiter he would be, but as a coach I think he would be outstanding.

Troublemaker
03-24-2015, 11:02 PM
The replacement (if Jeff leaves) probably won't be anyone who made millions in the NBA, and I don't think it'll be anyone who's starting from scratch as a basketball coach.

I think it'd be someone like Tony Lang, who has head coaching experience in Japan and is currently an assistant for Snyder with the Jazz.

-bdbd
03-24-2015, 11:31 PM
maybe i'm just not seeing it correctly, but, with the up-tick in recruiting, the visible "co-coaching" on the sideline, and the camaraderie amongst the entire duke team and staff, why would Capel even THINK of leaving?

i'm sure that johnny, bobby and even chris collins have been thought of as successors, but to me, it's looking like a shoe in for Capel...

jmho

Why would he take it?
1. I can think of $1.2M good reasons per year.
2. Head Coach stature, the chance to be the Captain of his own ship.
3. It may well make him a better candidate to backfill K if he's seen as a successful Head Coach elsewhere.
4. I think some on here might be overstating his chances of succeeding K (that said by someone who loves Capel). If that's the case, and White doesn't view him as the probable heir, then departure could make more sense for him.

DesertDevil
03-24-2015, 11:32 PM
Living in Arizona the past 20 years, I would hope Jeff waits for a better gig than ASU. They will always be #2 even in the state.

He will have better opportunites down the road.

OZ
03-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Why would he take it?
1. I can think of $1.2M good reasons per year.
2. Head Coach stature, the chance to be the Captain of his own ship.
3. It may well make him a better candidate to backfill K if he's seen as a successful Head Coach elsewhere.
4. I think some on here might be overstating his chances of succeeding K (that said by someone who loves Capel). If that's the case, and White doesn't view him as the probable heir, then departure could make more sense for him.

I still can't think of one good reason why Capel would want to go to ASU.

Olympic Fan
03-25-2015, 12:13 AM
Any word on how hot the seat at Stanford is? Rumor was it was getting pretty toasty and they missed the tourney again. Just thinking if Capel is leaving....

Johnny signed a major contract extension last year after he led Stanford to the Sweet 16.

I know there was disappointment when this team failed to make the tournament. I imagine there are some unhappy Stanford fans, but I doubt he's fired this spring.

JasonEvans
03-25-2015, 01:26 AM
Interesting to note that this article from the Arizona Republic (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2015/03/24/10-possible-candidates-to-be-next-asu-basketball-coach/70381600/) cites 10 potential candidates for the job. The first three names...

Tommy Amaker
Jeff Capel
Bobby Hurley.

They love them some Duke connections in Arizona ;)

The article also mentions a couple really interesting names: Josh Pastner and Joe Pasternack. Pastner was an AZ assistant before heading to Memphis. Pasternack is a current AZ assistant and essentially took over for Pastner as the #1 recruiter for Arizona. Would Az St really hire guys so closely tied to their rival? It would be like NC St looking at Hubert Davis to coach the Wolfpack.

-Jason "chances Tommy moves his wife from her job at the Harvard Medical School to Arizona State are darn close to zero. Tommy's not leaving Harvard unless a pretty darn perfect situation comes calling" Evans

juise
03-25-2015, 02:24 AM

Are we counting the "Curtain of Distraction?" ;) That has to mKe the home court advantage similar to Cameron.

dbcooper
03-25-2015, 06:23 AM
Interesting to note that this article from the Arizona Republic (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2015/03/24/10-possible-candidates-to-be-next-asu-basketball-coach/70381600/) cites 10 potential candidates for the job. The first three names...

Tommy Amaker
Jeff Capel
Bobby Hurley.

The article also mentions a couple really interesting names: Josh Pastner and Joe Pasternack. Pastner was an AZ assistant before heading to Memphis. Pasternack is a current AZ assistant and essentially took over for Pastner as the #1 recruiter for Arizona. Would Az St really hire guys so closely tied to their rival? It would be like NC St looking at Hubert Davis to coach the Wolfpack.

-Jason "chances Tommy moves his wife from her job at the Harvard Medical School to Arizona State are darn close to zero. Tommy's not leaving Harvard unless a pretty darn perfect situation comes calling" Evans

I am shocked and appalled there are no UNC Affiliates or Alums even mentioned??? HeHe! - ASU must have real classes and they probably have to go to class too.:D:D

Duke Coaching Stock is at an all time high and even NC State is getting a nod too!

Oh my ...How the UNC Coaching Sapling must be outraged!!

Go Duke!

DB ---E

weezie
03-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Would Az St really hire guys so closely tied to their rival? It would be like NC St looking at Hubert Davis to coach the Wolfpack.

A bit more far-fetched would be Archie Miller taking the job and coaching against his bro' Sean Miller ninety miles down the road.

luburch
03-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Just read that Hurley is the lead candidate for the DePaul job. Please don't do it Bobby.

MartyClark
03-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Just read that Hurley is the lead candidate for the DePaul job. Please don't do it Bobby.

It doesn't seem like a good job. The campus is a long way from the basketball arena although, I think, there are plans to build a new arena downtown near the lake. The program has been really dead since the brief glory days in the late 1970's.

BD80
03-25-2015, 08:56 AM

Wojo @ Marquette
Collins @ NW
Brey @ND
Hurley @ DePaul

Talk about clustering

duke09hms
03-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Johnny signed a major contract extension last year after he led Stanford to the Sweet 16.

I know there was disappointment when this team failed to make the tournament. I imagine there are some unhappy Stanford fans, but I doubt he's fired this spring.

Dawkins certainly made good use of his first trip to the tournament, but one tournament appearance in 7 years isn't good enough after making it 13 out of the 14 years pre-Dawkins. The contract extension was reward for the SS but also to allow him to recruit. He loses major talent to graduation this year, and his incoming recruiting class doesn't seem to be anything special. The seat will get hot again next year. Tournament appearance is almost a must.

gumbomoop
03-25-2015, 09:39 AM

Amen. Hurley will have a veteran group returning for 2015-16, including 4 starters, 6 of his 8-man rotation, and this season's MAC POY, Justin Moss. Have to assume next year he will be able to get a couple of high-profile early season OOC games.

DePaul, blecchhh. Wait for better, next month or much preferably after 2015-16. I understand that he's hot just now, but he could be hotter a year hence.

roywhite
03-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Wojo @ Marquette
Collins @ NW
Brey @ND
Hurley @ DePaul

Talk about clustering

Ha...like fish swimming upstream to their ultimate source...Coach K's Chicago

SCMatt33
03-25-2015, 09:52 AM
It doesn't seem like a good job. The campus is a long way from the basketball arena although, I think, there are plans to build a new arena downtown near the lake. The program has been really dead since the brief glory days in the late 1970's.

From the articles I have found, they have already started clearing the site but haven't yet actually started to build anything. Articles from October (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-depaul-basketball-arena-on-track-for-winter-groundbreaking-20141015-story.html) claim that construction would have started by now with the arena opening before or during the 2016-17 season. Articles from February (http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150217/south-loop/depaul-arena-hotel-construction-begin-this-summer-near-mccormick-place) now claim that construction won't start until summer with the opening scheduled to take place in time for 2017-18. So the project got delayed by 6 months to a year in the span of four months time. DePaul might not be a terrible gig going forward, but I'd much rather be their next coaching hire as opposed to this one.

Duvall
03-25-2015, 09:54 AM

Hurley staying at Buffalo. (http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2015/03/25/ub-reaches-agreement-in-principle-on-new-contract-with-bobby-hurley/)

The University at Buffalo has reached an agreement in principle to renegotiate the contract of Bobby Hurley and make him the highest-paid men's basketball coach in the Mid-American Conference, sources have told The News.

The agreement in principle is expected to pre-empt any attempt to woo Hurley away from UB this year. DePaul University has Hurley high on its list of candidates, numerous sources have reported. Hurley made a base salary of $250,000 this year, plus $50,000 in additional pay, plus some incentives.

luburch
03-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Maybe not:

@GoodmanESPN: Bobby Hurley has not signed deal to stay at Buffalo, sources told ESPN. As of this moment, source said he intends to interview with DePaul.

hurleyfor3
03-25-2015, 10:24 AM
No no no no NO, DePaul is where coaching careers go to die.

devildeac
03-25-2015, 11:00 AM

Tommy Amaker
Jeff Capel
Bobby Hurley.

NCSU? Hubert Davis? BWAHAHAHA.

I can think of one "darn perfect" situation for the Amakers, but maybe not for a few more years ;).

duke79
03-25-2015, 11:32 AM
NCSU? Hubert Davis? BWAHAHAHA.

I can think of one "darn perfect" situation for the Amakers, but maybe not for a few more years ;).

I know there have been several discussions on this board in the past about potential successors to K, and, not to open another can of worms, but I would guess, if K retires in the next five years or so (and let's hope NOT), that Tommy would have the inside track to the job. Obviously, I have no inside information but just a gut feeling on my part that Duke would view Tommy as having the "right stuff" to represent the university well and to continue the tradition of basketball success, out of all of K's former players coaching college or pro basketball (and not to diss anyone else). I don't follow college basketball enough to know who else might be in the running (other than Brad Stevens but who knows if he would leave pro basketball for the Duke job, if offered to him).

Lid
03-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Oh Lord, the thread title change here gave me a heart attack. I'd suggest there should be more than one question mark, for the sake of clarity.

Yikes, off to fan my fevered brow now that I know Capel hasn't already agreed to go to ASU...

hurleyfor3
03-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Oh Lord, the thread title change here gave me a heart attack. I'd suggest there should be more than one question mark, for the sake of clarity.

Yikes, off to fan my fevered brow now that I know Capel hasn't already agreed to go to ASU...

I was mulling whether to split the Hurley discussion off into its own thread. But there were enough posts about Dawkins' position at Stanford that I decided to keep everything here and nudge the subject in a more general direction.

peterjswift
03-25-2015, 12:42 PM
This thread made me think a little bit about the Coach K coaching tree, and led me to spend too much time on Wikipedia looking up coaching records of former Duke players and coaches (college only).

Here's what I came up with:

Coach
W
L
NCAA W
NCAA L

Tommy Amaker

Bob Bender

Mike Brey

Jeff Capel

Chris Collins

Johnny Dawkins

Mike Dement

David Henderson

Bobby Hurley

Tim O'Toole

Quin Snyder

Chuck Swenson

Steve Wojciechowski

Totals:

I don't have too much commentary to add other than it is a lot of coaches, a lot of wins, and a lot of potential for some of the younger head coaches that seem to be doing well. I can't promise all the numbers are current or accurate...after all, this is based on wikipedia, but it was pretty interesting to look at it as a whole. I'm sure there are some missed coaches on this list, but it is pretty amazing when you think that these coaches aren't just tallying wins and losses, but affecting the lives of young men that they come into contact with. It must make Coach K pretty proud to see so many of his former players and assistants take on the job of coaching elsewhere.

rsvman
03-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Does success in the NIT ameliorate, to any degree, the sting of missing the NCAA tournament? Because if it does, maybe Dawkins got off the hot seat last night when his Stanford team made the NIT Final Four. They could perhaps win the whole thing. Would that help his cause?

(And by the way, Miami is also in the NIT Final Four.)

JasonEvans
03-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Does success in the NIT ameliorate, to any degree, the sting of missing the NCAA tournament? Because if it does, maybe Dawkins got off the hot seat last night when his Stanford team made the NIT Final Four. They could perhaps win the whole thing. Would that help his cause?

Johnny has been the king of the NIT in recent years. He won it all in 2012 and made the 2nd round the next year. In fact, Johnny has won multiple post-season games in 3 of the past 4 seasons, which is not at all easy.

That being said, most big time BCS schools would almost rather go to the NCAA and lose early than make the NIT Final Four. I wonder what an equivalency chart might look like...

NCAA first round = NIT Final Four
NCAA R32 = NIT Championship
NCAA Sweet 16 = more than anything you can do in the NIT

Does that sound about right? I think making the tourney field but losing in round one is about the same as making the NIT Final 4 and getting a trip to NYC. If you get an actual NIT title, it is as good as actually winning your first round NCAA tourney game. But, the NCAA Sweet 16 is worth more than anything you can do in the NIT. Am I maybe underrating the NIT a little bit?

To answer our question, I think this year's NIT success does reduce a little of the sting of missing the NCAAs for Stanford. I don't think Johnny was in much danger of losing his job after this season anyway. But, he may need to find his way back to the NCAA tourney or at least have a young team that really seems ready to blossom next year or he could be gone.

-Jason "Johnny does have 3 top 100 recruits coming in next year and the transition from freshman to soph should help Reid Travis a lot... but his three best players are all seniors and next year could be tough" Evans

devildeac
03-25-2015, 01:50 PM
I know there have been several discussions on this board in the past about potential successors to K, and, not to open another can of worms, but I would guess, if K retires in the next five years or so (and let's hope NOT), that Tommy would have the inside track to the job. Obviously, I have no inside information but just a gut feeling on my part that Duke would view Tommy as having the "right stuff" to represent the university well and to continue the tradition of basketball success, out of all of K's former players coaching college or pro basketball (and not to diss anyone else). I don't follow college basketball enough to know who else might be in the running (other than Brad Stevens but who knows if he would leave pro basketball for the Duke job, if offered to him).

Major problem with Amaker=(also) too small to coach the bigs;):rolleyes:.

devildeac
03-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Johnny has been the king of the NIT in recent years. He won it all in 2012 and made the 2nd round the next year. In fact, Johnny has won multiple post-season games in 3 of the past 4 seasons, which is not at all easy.

That being said, most big time BCS schools would almost rather go to the NCAA and lose early than make the NIT Final Four. I wonder what an equivalency chart might look like...

Does that sound about right? I think making the tourney field but losing in round one is about the same as making the NIT Final 4 and getting a trip to NYC. If you get an actual NIT title, it is as good as actually winning your first round NCAA tourney game. But, the NCAA Sweet 16 is worth more than anything you can do in the NIT. Am I maybe underrating the NIT a little bit?

To answer our question, I think this year's NIT success does reduce a little of the sting of missing the NCAAs for Stanford. I don't think Johnny was in much danger of losing his job after this season anyway. But, he may need to find his way back to the NCAA tourney or at least have a young team that really seems ready to blossom next year or he could be gone.

-Jason "Johnny does have 3 top 100 recruits coming in next year and the transition from freshman to soph should help Reid Travis a lot... but his three best players are all seniors and next year could be tough" Evans

Means a lot to some folks:

SCMatt33
03-25-2015, 02:14 PM

I actually think you might be overrating the NIT here. Especially in the context of power conference schools as you mentioned in the earlier post. I watched the end of that Stanford game yesterday and there was absolutely no celebration for the achievement. They quietly shook hands and that was it. At least from the players perspective, it seems seeing their name in the field on Selection Sunday would have been a better climax to the season over earning a trip to New York. Maybe winning the thing and actually getting to take home the trophy could match merely making the field, but winning a game (not counting First Four) would seem to be better for any power conference team, especially given that any team having that conversation would be getting a win over a single digit seed.

You could certainly argue that the eventual NIT champ had a better postseason than Nova or Kansas or UVA, but those teams had to have tremendous regular season accomplishments in the first place to render round of 64 wins as virtually meaningless.

Put another way, in 20 years, I think that most people would rather watch the YouTube highlights of that one NCAA win over that NIT championship game.

CameronBornAndBred
03-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Put another way, in 20 years, I think that most people would rather watch the YouTube highlights of that one NCAA win over that NIT championship game.
I would go as far to say that a 2nd place NIT trophy is way more fun to ridicule than a first round NCAA loss. (Right, Roy?)

Billy Dat
03-25-2015, 03:28 PM

One unique wrinkle I haven't seen mentioned on this thread is the rumor that Jerry Colangelo is pushing hard for Capel. Colangelo has a pretty established relationship with ASU. He got an honorary degree there in 2002 (big deal, I know), but he has also been trying to get the headquarters of USA Basketball moved to Tempe along with a state-of-the-art training facility. All of that involves ASU as the project is targeted for land they own. If Colangelo is a player, and Capel and he have a relationship from the past few years of USA Basketball, then it might be a reason why Capel takes an interview and listens to what they have to say.

OldPhiKap
03-25-2015, 03:33 PM

Glad to see that DBR is cited as the source for the last fact stated in this Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_National_Invitation_Tournament

SCMatt33
03-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Glad to see that DBR is cited as the source for the last fact stated in this Wiki:

The link appeared to be broken in Wikipedia. Don't worry, I fixed it!

BD80
03-25-2015, 04:05 PM

Might this be the only banner they are allowed to hang once the academic fraud issue is resolved?

devildeac
03-25-2015, 05:44 PM

Good catch. I looked at that Wiki article and failed to notice DBR was listed as a source.

Third place sporks for you;):rolleyes:.

devildeac
03-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Might this be the only banner they are allowed to hang once the academic fraud issue is resolved?

Nah, I think the 1957 and 1982 banners are safe and remain aloft (or should that be aloof:rolleyes:). And, of course, the 91 year old bread wrapper ;):rolleyes:.

SCMatt33
03-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Not to mention that all of the honored jersey banners can probably stay. You don't need to do much to get one of those, so having their records and stats stripped probably won't drop anyone below the qualification level!

Im4howdy
03-25-2015, 06:46 PM
If we have an assistant coach position open up would Nate move up in the pecking order? I'd hate to lose him as strength and conditioning coach, but I imagine he'd be a great recruiter ("Young man, are you enough of a bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. to come and play for Duke?").

Anyone think Shane would be a good addition? (and would a potential presidential nominee see spending time on the sidelines as a stepping-stone?)

Danny Ferry's...aw, forget that idea.

Newton_14
03-25-2015, 08:00 PM
If we have an assistant coach position open up would Nate move up in the pecking order? I'd hate to lose him as strength and conditioning coach, but I imagine he'd be a great recruiter ("Young man, are you enough of a bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. to come and play for Duke?").

Anyone think Shane would be a good addition? (and would a potential presidential nominee see spending time on the sidelines as a stepping-stone?)

Danny Ferry's...aw, forget that idea.

Nate is already an assistant, and never was the strength and conditioning coach. So he already recruits. The 3 current assistants are Capel, Nate, and Jon.

Olympic Fan
03-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Nate is already an assistant, and never was the strength and conditioning coach. So he already recruits. The 3 current assistants are Capel, Nate, and Jon.

Actually, Nate started here as the assistant strength and conditioning coach in the 2007-08 season.

He became a full assistant after the 2008 season and held that job through 2011. When K needed to open up a space for Jeff Capel, he moved Nate to the position of Special Assistant, which he held from 2011-13.

When Chris Collins left after the 2013 season, Nate was bumped up to fulltime assistant again.

Newton_14
03-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Actually, Nate started here as the assistant strength and conditioning coach in the 2007-08 season.

He became a full assistant after the 2008 season and held that job through 2011. When K needed to open up a space for Jeff Capel, he moved Nate to the position of Special Assistant, which he held from 2011-13.

When Chris Collins left after the 2013 season, Nate was bumped up to fulltime assistant again.

Ah. Learn something new everyday. Thanks Oly. I knew Nate started in one of those "pre-full time assistant" roles, but did not know his role was strength and conditioning. I guess I assumed the current strength and conditioning guy (whose name escapes me at the moment) had been that guy for years.

Thanks for that insight!

devildeac
03-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Ah. Learn something new everyday. Thanks Oly. I knew Nate started in one of those "pre-full time assistant" roles, but did not know his role was strength and conditioning. I guess I assumed the current strength and conditioning guy (whose name escapes me at the moment) had been that guy for years.

Thanks for that insight!

This is probably that guy:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=158085&

luburch
03-26-2015, 10:16 AM
According to Evan Daniels, of Scout.com, ASU has also had preliminary talks with Hurley.

sagegrouse
03-26-2015, 10:54 AM
According to Evan Daniels, of Scout.com, ASU has also had preliminary talks with Hurley.

Dumb question #1 -- why isn't Danny Hurley the preferred option? He has more coaching experience and has done very well at both Wagner and R.I. Plus, he had phenomenal success as a coach in N.J. HS hoops. Here's his record with the Rams:

2012–13 Rhode Island 8–21
2013–14 Rhode Island 14–18
2014–15 Rhode Island 23–10

Bobby has a few years as an assistant and one year as the head coach. Maybe it's just that Bobby is a true legend in college basketball?

SoCalDukeFan
03-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Link (http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2015/03/25/ub-reaches-agreement-in-principle-on-new-contract-with-bobby-hurley/)

Evidently he will still talk to DePaul.

SoCal

SoCalDukeFan
03-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Dumb question #1 -- why isn't Danny Hurley the preferred option? He has more coaching experience and has done very well at both Wagner and R.I. Plus, he had phenomenal success as a coach in N.J. HS hoops. Here's his record with the Rams:

2012–13 Rhode Island 8–21
2013–14 Rhode Island 14–18
2014–15 Rhode Island 23–10

Bobby has a few years as an assistant and one year as the head coach. Maybe it's just that Bobby is a true legend in college basketball?

ADs want to satisfy the alums who want improvement in the bball program. Bobby is a splash hire who is more likely to immediately satisfy the alums than Danny.

Bobby had a great year at Buffalo. Danny is solid. I personally think an AD should look at both.

SoCal

luburch
03-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Even more:

@GoodmanESPN: Look for Dan Hurley to be in the mix at St. John's, source told ESPN.

Tripping William
03-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Even more:

@GoodmanESPN: Look for Dan Hurley to be in the mix at St. John's, source told ESPN.

Is Lavin out? Because as of the-day-before-yesterday, they were talking contract extension.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-03-25/steve-lavin-fired-coaching-st-johns-contract-red-storm-ncaa-tournament

luburch
03-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Is Lavin out? Because as of the-day-before-yesterday, they were talking contract extension.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-03-25/steve-lavin-fired-coaching-st-johns-contract-red-storm-ncaa-tournament

St. John's and Lavin just agreed to "mutually part ways" this afternoon

Tripping William
03-27-2015, 02:53 PM
St. John's and Lavin just agreed to "mutually part ways" this afternoon

Talk about a U-turn.

Henderson
03-27-2015, 03:38 PM

I'm guessing that talk didn't go so well.

OldPhiKap
03-27-2015, 03:41 PM

Steve Lavin: "I'm here to talk about a contract extension."

Athletic Director: "You keep using that word. I do not believe it means what you think it means"

Henderson
03-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Steve Lavin: "I'm here to talk about a contract extension."

Athletic Director: "You keep using that word. I do not believe it means what you think it means"

Athletic Director: "I've 'extended' this contract by adding a clause at the end about the university's not being responsible for any door-damage to your backside as you leave."

JasonEvans
03-27-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm guessing that talk didn't go so well.

I'm betting Lavin wanted more money and years in return for not looking at some of the openings that are available right now. St. John's probably offered more years, but not more money and Lavin, knowing he could find something else, said "See ya!"

-Jason "Lavin did an ok, but not great job at St. John's" Evans

Henderson
03-27-2015, 04:42 PM
In all these coaching changes, what are the options for players? Could a guy at Buffalo, for example, transfer without sitting for a year if his coach leaves? Does it matter if the coach is fired? I seem to recall some rule like that for coaching changes (for incoming freshmen?), but I'm fuzzy on it. Little help?