PDA

View Full Version : Duke running the press

Duke3517
03-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Question for the board because I don't see Duke running the press very often

I meant to ask this a couple of days ago but really didn't get a chance to. I noticed that Duke was running the press against Robert Morris I'm guessing for practice. Mark Few teams are typically not good against the press. Do you believe they were running it in preparation for their potential matchup with Gonzaga?

dukelifer
03-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Question for the board because I don't see Duke running the press very often

I meant to ask this a couple of days ago but really didn't get a chance to. I noticed that Duke was running the press against Robert Morris I'm guessing for practice. Mark Few teams are typically not good against the press. Do you believe they were running it in preparation for their potential matchup with Gonzaga?

They have been pressing a lot more recently. Just part of the evolution of this team. It has definitely helped their D. I doubt it was for the zags.

LSanders
03-22-2015, 09:11 PM
In one of K's interviews he talked about using the press to break up a team's rhythm, particularly if they are good in transition. If you watch the spacing and ball pressure, it isn't anything like VCU's "40 minutes of hell." Duke's press isn't about wearing the opposition out and creating turnovers as much as it forces an opponent to slow down the ball and depend more on their half court game.

Today, for example, SDSU's half court offense is bleak. If our press limits transition baskets, then it's likely SDSU will not score much - which, of course, is what happened.

gwlaw99
03-22-2015, 09:17 PM
It also shortens the other team's shot clock to about 24 seconds.

Edouble
03-22-2015, 09:22 PM
In one of K's interviews he talked about using the press to break up a team's rhythm, particularly if they are good in transition. If you watch the spacing and ball pressure, it isn't anything like VCU's "40 minutes of hell." Duke's press isn't about wearing the opposition out and creating turnovers as much as it forces an opponent to slow down the ball and depend more on their half court game.

Today, for example, SDSU's half court offense is bleak. If our press limits transition baskets, then it's likely SDSU will not score much - which, of course, is what happened.

By definition, a press can't limit transition baskets. You score, then set up the press as the other team inbounds.

bedeviled
03-22-2015, 09:33 PM
I doubt it was for the zagsJust an IMHO, but I second this. The Zags play 3 senior guards along with experienced big men. They'd most likely be able to get easy buckets against a consistent press. I think it's easier to keep Pangos in front of you in the half court rather than try to race alongside him down the court (ie it looks like he is quick and strong enough to hold his dribble on the run but doesn't have a blow-by first step).

captmojo
03-23-2015, 10:29 AM
I was thinking that this was referring to the television 'press'. Others elsewhere, seem to be having trouble with the fact ex-Duke players are all over their TV screens.

Indoor66
03-23-2015, 12:03 PM
I was thinking that this was referring to the television 'press'. Others elsewhere, seem to be having trouble with the fact ex-Duke players are all over their TV screens.

Yeah. Ain't it amazing what a great education can do for you?

The Gordog
03-23-2015, 01:06 PM

It also shortens the other team's shot clock to about 24 seconds.

And it takes the ball out of the point guard's hands. If there main scoring guard does not have the ball when our half court is set. Denying him the ball is a much easier assignment for Cook than stopping him when he is utilized from the get go.