PDA

View Full Version : Predict How Many ACC Teams Reach the Sweet 16

Troublemaker
03-21-2015, 10:11 AM
Exactly what the thread titles says. If you pick the number of teams correctly, you win pride.

Answer the poll and then write your reasoning/analysis in a reply to this thread.

Thanks!

DukieInBrasil
03-21-2015, 10:37 AM
I think NC State goes down, and either UVA or UNC will bite the dust. Both looked rather pedestrian in their 1st game, although UVA did pull it together and won by 12. Notre Dame also looked pedestrian, but i think their shooting touch will carry them through vs Butler.

DukeDevil
03-21-2015, 10:42 AM
My choice was not dictated by logic, my choice was dictated by:

"A C C! A C C! A C C! Wooooooo!!!"

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/358/609/3b1.gif

Troublemaker
03-21-2015, 10:46 AM
I picked three, and I feel two is more likely than four.

NCSU and Louisville will be bounced by Nova and Northern Iowa, respectively.

That leaves these four games:

ND vs Butler
UNC vs Arkansas
UVA vs Mich St
Duke vs SDSU

Losing one from that group is very likely. Gun to head, I'll pick Butler to upset ND.

So 3.

DukeDevil
03-21-2015, 10:52 AM
I picked three, and I feel two is more likely than four.

NCSU and Louisville will be bounced by Nova and Northern Iowa, respectively.

That leaves these four games:

ND vs Butler
UNC vs Arkansas
UVA vs Mich St
Duke vs SDSU

Losing one from that group is very likely. Gun to head, I'll pick Butler to upset ND.

So 3.

In general, my actual "logical" answer is 3, but I'd lean more towards the "4 is more likely than 2" with Louisville beating Northern Iowa.

Also...who the heck is holding a gun to your head to make a pick on a game? Is this how Vegas actually comes up with their odds?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-21-2015, 11:12 AM
NCSU has the size to deal with Nova. Big shooting day from Lacey and Turner gets it done.
Louisville loves to win ugly and they'll find a way against NIU.
ND will get back on track and take care of biz from 3pt land against the dogs.
UVA will win 21-20 while the grass grows in a slug fest with Sparty.
Duke puts the reverse dunks in the closet, focuses for 40 mins and overpowers SDSU.
UNC gets their due reward and is humiliated by the Razorbacks.

Kedsy
03-21-2015, 11:18 AM
2 or 3. Duke and Virginia should win. State, Louisville, UNC should lose. Not sure whether Notre Dame will get by Butler or not.

Duvall
03-21-2015, 11:22 AM
2 or 3. Duke and Virginia should win. State, Louisville, UNC should lose. Not sure whether Notre Dame will get by Butler or not.

UNC *should* lose? Not sure I see that, other than in the karmic sense. Arkansas seems like a good matchup for the Heels.

Kedsy
03-21-2015, 11:29 AM
UNC *should* lose? Not sure I see that, other than in the karmic sense. Arkansas seems like a good matchup for the Heels.

UNC should have lost to Harvard. I just don't think they're very good, though I guess I don't think Arkansas is very good, either, so I suppose UNC could squeak out another one.

YmoBeThere
03-21-2015, 11:44 AM
All 6, because this weekend I'm wearing rose colored glasses that allow me to ignore the fact that by doing so, I've picked Caro-whine-a to win a game.

Also, to make up for some less than stellar ACC years in the recent past.

YmoBeThere
03-21-2015, 11:49 AM
UNC should have lost to Harvard.

How so? Because someone should have made a shot? By that logic, we should have lost to Butler...

Now, if Tommy would have called a timeout then I would agree with you.

-jk
03-21-2015, 12:21 PM
UNC *should* lose? ...

Yes. Always and forever.

-jk

CDu
03-21-2015, 12:39 PM
I went 5. I think State can beat Nova. We are favored in all the others. So I will take an optimistic 5. I think 3 is a worst-"realistic"-case scenario.

MarkD83
03-21-2015, 12:52 PM
No more than 5 and everyone can guess who does not make it....they are 8 mi from Cameron.

jv001
03-21-2015, 01:36 PM
I think the only two to lose will be NC State and Louisville. I'm hoping I'm wrong and the only team to lose is the Cheats. GoDuke!

Duvall
03-21-2015, 01:57 PM
UNC should have lost to Harvard. I just don't think they're very good, though I guess I don't think Arkansas is very good, either, so I suppose UNC could squeak out another one.

Sure. If UNC were playing Northern Iowa or Utah they would be in real trouble, but Arkansas just isn't that good, and should have lost to Wofford.

Bob Green
03-21-2015, 02:03 PM
I went with four. Duke, Virginia and North Carolina will most likely win plus one of State, Louisville or Notre Dame. Michigan State will probably push Virginia to the brink, but I am really impressed with the Wahoos poise in tough situations. Carolina and Duke are playing teams they match up with nicely so while neither game will be a walk in the park my confidence level for victories is high. Notre Dame will get the conference to four in the Sweet 16.

My two cents...

YmoBeThere
03-21-2015, 09:33 PM
1-0, only 5 more to go. FWIW, the last time Villanova was able to make it out of this round I was there to see it.

CDu
03-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Feeling good about my call of 5 right now. And even better on my call of State over Nova. ACC!

Well, except for the next hour or so. Then, go Razorbacks!

JNort
03-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Voted 6 but hope for 5. Let's gooooo Arkansas! !!

rsvman
03-21-2015, 11:39 PM
5. Louisville will lose to Northern Iowa. They can't shoot.

YmoBeThere
03-22-2015, 12:27 AM
3 down, 3 to go

-bdbd
03-22-2015, 01:33 AM
After having to listen repeatedly down the stretch about the Big-12 being the best conference in the land, it has been just wonderful to (1) See the ACC excel, and (2) the Big-12 flop. Three of three so far for the TRUE best conference in the US, with all three remaining squads favored on Sunday... That said, stuff happens, and I picked five to make the Sweet-16. This will be one of the biggest stories of the next week - the apparent dominance of the ACC in this tournament.

Funny that, after all that we've been saying about how under-challenged KY has been in the SEC, that their road to a championship will have to run squarely through ACC country! Hmmmmm.

CDu
03-22-2015, 08:53 AM
After having to listen repeatedly down the stretch about the Big-12 being the best conference in the land, it has been just wonderful to (1) See the ACC excel, and (2) the Big-12 flop. Three of three so far for the TRUE best conference in the US, with all three remaining squads favored on Sunday... That said, stuff happens, and I picked five to make the Sweet-16. This will be one of the biggest stories of the next week - the apparent dominance of the ACC in this tournament.

Funny that, after all that we've been saying about how under-challenged KY has been in the SEC, that their road to a championship will have to run squarely through ACC country! Hmmmmm.

To be fair, the Pac-12 is also currently unbeaten in the tournament (7-0) and I don't think anyone is saying they are the best (or 2nd best) conference.

gocanes0506
03-22-2015, 09:00 AM
i think UVA and Louisville go down today, so 4.

CDu
03-22-2015, 09:05 AM
I said 5 on Friday as I thought we would split the toss-up games (UNC and Louisville), win the three favored, and get the big upset. I will stick with that, and guess that Louisville will lose.

Olympic Fan
03-22-2015, 09:33 AM
To be fair, the Pac-12 is also currently unbeaten in the tournament (7-0) and I don't think anyone is saying they are the best (or 2nd best) conference.

A fair observation -- as of Sunday morning, both the 9-0 ACC and the 7-0 Pac-12 have three teams in the Sweet 16.

But the Pac-12 has just one team playing today -- and Oregon is an underdog vs. Wisconsin. The ACC got their big upset of a No. 1. Can the Pac-12?

The ACC has three teams playing together and all are favorites.

I agree that right now, there's very little to separate the ACC and the Pac-12. Let's see where the two leagues stand after today.

Also interested to see if the three Big 12 survivors can salvage anything for the league. Kansas is favored against a tough Wichita State team and Oklahoma is favored over an overachieving Dayton team (NC State grad Archie Miller has five NCAA wins in two years ... where is he going next?). West Virginia is a slight underdog to Maryland.

Right now, the ACC and Pac-12 each have three of the eight Sweet 16 teams that have been decided. The Big East has one (new member Xavier -- the last BE team standing) and the SEC has one (Kentucky -- the last SEC team standing).

CDu
03-22-2015, 09:39 AM
A fair observation -- as of Sunday morning, both the 9-0 ACC and the 7-0 Pac-12 have three teams in the Sweet 16.

But the Pac-12 has just one team playing today -- and Oregon is an underdog vs. Wisconsin. The ACC got their big upset of a No. 1. Can the Pac-12?

The ACC has three teams playing together and all are favorites.

I agree that right now, there's very little to separate the ACC and the Pac-12. Let's see where the two leagues stand after today.

Also interested to see if the three Big 12 survivors can salvage anything for the league. Kansas is favored against a tough Wichita State team and Oklahoma is favored over an overachieving Dayton team (NC State grad Archie Miller has five NCAA wins in two years ... where is he going next?). West Virginia is a slight underdog to Maryland.

Right now, the ACC and Pac-12 each have three of the eight Sweet 16 teams that have been decided. The Big East has one (new member Xavier -- the last BE team standing) and the SEC has one (Kentucky -- the last SEC team standing).

I think you may have missed the point of my post. It wasn't to say that the Pac-12 is the ACC's equal or that they deserve to be considered the best conference. They aren't and they don't. My point was that using the NCAA tournament as proof that one conference is better than the other is not really appropriate. For the same reason that the tournament doesn't prove who is the best team (or even necessarily who is playing the best right now), it also doesn't prove who has the best conference.

Having said that, I do fully expect the Pac-12 to get their first loss today, and they'll probably add to that total when UCLA plays their next game (and hopefully when Utah plays their next game). I'd expect there to be just one Pac-12 team in the Elite-8, whereas I think at least 2 (I'd predict 3) ACC teams make the Elite-8.

Bob Green
03-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Missouri Valley Conference is also undefeated at 2-0. Northern Iowa (Louisville) and Wichita State (Kansas) both play today.

Wander
03-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Missouri Valley Conference is also undefeated at 2-0. Northern Iowa (Louisville) and Wichita State (Kansas) both play today.

Feeling much better about my UNI final four pick after yesterday. Note that Louisville is actually not a favorite in that game.

Henderson
03-22-2015, 10:37 AM

It's been 46 years since Drake (!!) played in the 1969 Final Four, losing by 3 to UCLA in the semis. [My friends and I burned up some batteries listening to games in Des Moines on transistor radios.] And only two years since Wichita State was there. Missouri Valley basketball has some serious tradition for such a forgotten conference.

Troublemaker
03-22-2015, 11:51 PM
Great call, 5ers. I did not anticipate that happening.

A month and half ago, if I had told you that 5 ACC teams would make the Sweet 16 and UVA would not be one of them, would you have believed me?

Seasons can change and end in a blink.

jhmoss1812
03-23-2015, 12:08 AM
Great call, 5ers. I did not anticipate that happening.

A month and half ago, if I had told you that 5 ACC teams would make the Sweet 16 and UVA would not be one of them, would you have believed me?

Seasons can change and end in a blink.

I would have laughed in your face. And now I'm just sitting here bummed out and completely indifferent about the rest of the basketball season. Good luck to you guys though.

andyw715
03-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Ties 2009 Big East with 5 Sweet 16 teams.

dairedevil
03-23-2015, 12:23 AM
There is the potential for a final four of Notre Dame, unc, NC State or Louisville, and DUKE! :D

What happened to the powerhouse Big 12? Did anybody predict 3 PAC 12 teams to do this well?

That's why they play the games, right?

I love March Madness!! Sometimes the experts look like idiots and the average guy can look brilliant.

Olympic Fan
03-23-2015, 12:54 AM
It's been 46 years since Drake (!!) played in the 1969 Final Four, losing by 3 to UCLA in the semis. [My friends and I burned up some batteries listening to games in Des Moines on transistor radios.] And only two years since Wichita State was there. Missouri Valley basketball has some serious tradition for such a forgotten conference.

Brings back memories ...

In 1969, only the championship game was on national TV. The semifinals were televised regionally. I was in school at the time. I can remember watching UNC get blown out by Purdue in the first semifinal game (with North Carolinian Herm Gilliam doing much of he damage). Then a couple of us huddled around a transistor radio and listed as Drake took UCLA to the wire ... we were able to listen to a strong station out of Des Moines that we could get after sundown -- although it faded in and out. It was frustrating and thrilling at the same time.

MCFinARL
03-23-2015, 07:55 AM
I would have laughed in your face. And now I'm just sitting here bummed out and completely indifferent about the rest of the basketball season. Good luck to you guys though.

So sorry--that's such a bad feeling; I know it well. Seeding committee did not do you any favors.

CDu
03-23-2015, 08:07 AM

Welcome to the world of being a top seed. You become the hunted, and just surviving the first weekend is a chore. Sorry for your pain; we certainly know the feeling of heading home much earlier than expected.

Still, it was a great year for the Hoos. Hopefully you'll get everyone who can come back to come back, and you will likely have better fortunes next year.

dukelifer
03-23-2015, 08:44 AM

We have been there many times and know your pain. Your consolation is that the bulk of your team is returning and not many of those left can say that.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the world of being a top seed. You become the hunted, and just surviving the first weekend is a chore. Sorry for your pain; we certainly know the feeling of heading home much earlier than expected.

Still, it was a great year for the Hoos. Hopefully you'll get everyone who can come back to come back, and you will likely have better fortunes next year.

I think this says it well.

Great year for the Wahoos, although I know it does not feel that way at the moment. We've been there, too. Part of being a top dog is that you hear lots of grief if/when you fall. Bennett is building for the long term, and your program is looking to be a force in the conference for the foreseeable future.

Troublemaker
03-23-2015, 09:38 AM

Sorry to hear that, jhmoss. Please know that I've greatly appreciated the civil and intelligent discourse you've brought as an opposing fan. It's actually even somewhat surprising (to me) because I've mostly found UVA fans to be boorish. After the Terps left, I would say the ACC fanbases that hate Duke / K the most are UNC, followed by UVA, and everyone else is a distant third. So yeah, I really appreciate what you've brought. Hopefully your team has much better injury luck next season.