PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. San Diego St, NCAA R32 (1440 EDT, CBS) Pregame/Ingame thread

hurleyfor3
03-20-2015, 11:52 PM
On to the Round of 32. Discuss the matchup with San Diego State here.

Troublemaker
03-20-2015, 11:58 PM
​Importing from South Region thread...

Watching the Game.. Who whould you rather play? I think SDSU. MY reason is that I don't think sdsu can keep shooting 3s like this and pointer on St Johns is a scary driver. I think we can guard 3s better than we guard nasty dribble penetration.

Thoughts?

If our opponent is SDSU, I'll be surprised if they don't Hackafor. They play lots of guys, and have some size. As one of the TV panels noted, as Duke goes further, Jahlil's FT-shooting is a major issue. I suppose StJ couldn't afford that approach, lacking size and depth.

I hesitate to take a position under the "be careful what you wish for" line of thinking. That said, in the abstract, I would far prefer to play offensively challenged but defensively strong teams than teams that have offensive skills and also play decent defense. I think our defense is good enough to stop bad offenses but vulnerable to good/decent offenses, and I like our offense against basically any defense.

I agree with gofurman, I think. Their season stats say they can't shoot threes this well. They'll revert to the mean at some point. Ideally they shoot jot of their minds for the rest of thus game and then revert on Sunday. That would be ideal.

pfrduke
03-21-2015, 01:13 AM
San Diego State is an excellent defensive team. They're particularly strong on the wing and in the paint, yielding just 41.8% shooting on 2s and the 6th best EFG% defense in the country. They do a pretty good job forcing turnovers, are reasonably good on the glass, but they really just excel at making opponents miss shots.

The offense, though - it's bad. This is probably the single worst shooting team in the tournament. They're 240th from 2, 253rd from 3, and 341st at the line. This is not a team that makes shots. Tonight's scoring performance was the 3rd highest in a regulation game this season.

Duke needs to keep SDSU in a half court offense - if we do, the Aztecs should really struggle to score. On the other side, Okafor will be bigger than anyone SDSU can throw out, but the Aztec front line is stringy, bouncy, and long, and in Skylar Spencer has one of the best shot blockers in the country. Either Quinn or Tyus will be very outsized on the perimeter, which could mean trouble for getting shots off.

This is likely to be a low scoring game, but we've won every low scoring game we've played this year - Duke is undefeated when the opponent is under 70 (22-0, vs. 8-4 when the opponent hits 70) and I think SDSU will have a difficult time getting to 70.

gumbomoop
03-21-2015, 01:18 AM
This is a different team, and not at first glance a seriously dangerous group. Granted that anything can happen; including a mediocre 3-point-shooting team shooting 42% tonight v. StJ. More typically, the Aztecs' FT% tonight -- 57% -- was a tad lower than their average of 63%. I don't recommend that we allow them to get 30 FT attempts, though of course StJ was fouling toward end.

Different especially in that they play a bunch of rangy forwards, and they don't really have a point guard. Probably Spencer (listed 6'10", 235) and Chol (6'9", 225) will take turns guarding Jahlil, but we have to expect double teams, especially if they think they can recover quickly and threaten our perimeter shooters with their forwards' length. If Spencer and Chol don't use up 9 of their 10 fouls on Jahlil, I'll be surprised. Coach Fisher is going to want to make Jahlil pass out of the double-team, and when not that, foul him and make him earn his 12 points on 3 buckets and 6 of 14 FTs.

But for the modified Hackafor to succeed, Marshall and Amile have to be pretty much non-factors, for when they're in, Spencer and Chol can't waste fouls on them; maybe the rangy forwards can cope with rangy Amile, but they aren't strong enough to keep Marshall off the boards if he's smart and active. Justise and Amile have to be effective cutters at least a couple of times, receiving passes from Jahlil for layups, and-ones.

As to the Aztecs' O v. Duke's D, their rangy guys might back our smaller guards into the lane, or post up, but they don't have combo of handle and quickness to whip past Quinn and Tyus. I'd expect, or at least hope, that K surprises them with several different D-schemes. [Other posters emphasized value of surprise in "Bad D pressure" thread.]. With no clear point guard, and without multiple players with good handle, I don't see them easily coping with multiple D-schemes. I'd expect some press; maybe they'd cope too easily with that by throwing over it, not sure. I'm still plumping for the occasional surprise 3-2 with Amile up top.

Clearly Duke wants the game to be in the 80s, SDSU much prefers 50s.

I encourage poster BigZ, who posted in South Region thread, to correct any wrongheaded analysis here.

-bdbd
03-21-2015, 02:08 AM
Was watching Shane Battier and some other ESPN talking heads late tonight. The consensus was that SDSU, while solid defensively, is just too offensively challenged to keep scoring with Duke. They also seemed to think that Duke's offense is good enough to cope with an excellent SDSU D. The lack of a penetrating PG-type is very encouraging for us.

Am a little surmising that there hasn't been more chatter about the rematch of K and Coach Fisher. Been a long way from their Duke-Michigan match-ups of the early-90's....

cato
03-21-2015, 02:59 AM
Where is the respect reserved for the play-in teams? Duke has not played a team like SDSU. Virginia has a great defense, but is a conference foe. Let's not assume the offense will be clicking.

Sure, the Aztecs don't score a lot, but if they can keep it close, anything can happen down the stetch.

TNDukeFan
03-21-2015, 06:53 AM
March Madness Live website has the game on CBS.

dukelifer
03-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Was watching Shane Battier and some other ESPN talking heads late tonight. The consensus was that SDSU, while solid defensively, is just too offensively challenged to keep scoring with Duke. They also seemed to think that Duke's offense is good enough to cope with an excellent SDSU D. The lack of a penetrating PG-type is very encouraging for us.

Am a little surmising that there hasn't been more chatter about the rematch of K and Coach Fisher. Been a long way from their Duke-Michigan match-ups of the early-90's....

This is a dangerous team for sure and is capable of having a great night. Duke needs to play very hard and will need to get easy baskets for separation. Winslow could be key.

NashvilleDevil
03-21-2015, 08:02 AM
I understand the concern playing San Diego St but who have they played? They beat Utah early in the season and had close losses to Arizona and Cincinnati. I am glad the game is Sunday so the hand wringing about the next greatest team after Robert Morris doesn't have time to reach 8 pages.

slower
03-21-2015, 08:46 AM
I understand the concern playing San Diego St but who have they played? They beat Utah early in the season

Did you just answer your own question? On any given day, anybody can beat anybody.

NYBri
03-21-2015, 08:58 AM
I understand the concern playing San Diego St but who have they played? They beat Utah early in the season and had close losses to Arizona and Cincinnati. I am glad the game is Sunday so the hand wringing about the next greatest team after Robert Morris doesn't have time to reach 8 pages.

But, but, but we are doomed, I tell ya, DOOMED!

sagegrouse
03-21-2015, 09:00 AM
March Madness Live website has the game on CBS.

The announcers are the CBS Final Four team -- Jim Nantz, Grant and Bill Raftery -- doesn't sound like a tru-TV airing.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-21-2015, 09:13 AM
If their shooting is that poor, I suspect we may see a lot of zone D. Force them to shoot instead of muscling us on the perimeter and into the lane. Would be fun to see 3-2 zone with the twin towers guarding the lane and grabbing rebounds.

sagegrouse
03-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Like K against John Chaney's defensive-oriented teams: Up the tempo and try to get to 80 -- no way Temple then would score that many, or San Diego State tomorrow.

Troublemaker
03-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Like K against John Chaney's defensive-oriented teams: Up the tempo and try to get to 80 -- no way Temple then would score that many, or San Diego State tomorrow.

SJU did have some success in transition against SDSU, and I hope Duke can duplicate.

Defensively, I think the Clemson gameplan might work. 2-2-1 press and then sink back into a 2-3 zone. Rebound, and run hard off misses.

Whereas I thought the key stat against RMU was Duke turnovers (RMU would've needed to force much more than the 11 TOs they got from Duke to win), I think the key stat against SDSU is Duke's defensive rebounding percentage. SDSU probably needs to pound Duke on the boards in order to win. They are capable of this -- 33rd-best offensive rebounding team in the country -- so we need to put bodies on bodies, whether in man or zone.

Kenpom projects a 66-60 Duke win, and he gives SDSU a 27% chance of pulling off the upset. They deserve our respect. Seems like we could be headed towards a physical, grind-it-out game where players will have to make big shots and grab big rebounds down the stretch to secure the win.

CDu
03-21-2015, 09:36 AM

You do realize that over half of those 8 pages were comments by folks discussing how much to win by right (apologies to all for contributing to that count)? There was some hand-wringing, but not that much.

Atlanta Duke
03-21-2015, 09:48 AM
The announcers are the CBS Final Four team -- Jim Nantz, Grant and Bill Raftery -- doesn't sound like a tru-TV airing.

Tru that - CBS at 2:40 pm after UVA - Sparty at 12:10 pm tomorrow

Troublemaker
03-21-2015, 09:51 AM
3-Part Test on Whether An Opponent Can Be Zoned

1) Can they shoot?

NO. For the season, SDSU shoots 32.4% from three. They also shoot 62.7% from the free throw line.

2) Can they pass?

NO. Their assist % ranks 295th in the country. Their turnover % ranks 140th in the country. I don't think SDSU will be able to move the ball crisply from side to side and in and out of Duke's 2-3 zone without turning the ball over a good amount, as average as Duke's zone is.

3) Can they offensive rebound?

YES. As mentioned upthread, they are 33rd in the country in offensive-rebounding.

Overall Verdict: SDSU can be zoned effectively. Just need to concentrate on rebounding out of the zone (guards will need to help) and then running once the board is grabbed.

davekay1971
03-21-2015, 09:51 AM
From what little I've seen of SDSU, Troublemaker's defensive scheme seems like a nice plan. We're athletic enough to make the extended pressure defense useful in forcing some turnovers for easy buckets, and to chew up some of the shot clock on SDSU's possessions, falling back to the zone in half-court to force them to make shots and limit their open looks. On the other end, if we can establish Jah early, that should open up our perimeter shooters. I think Kenpom's prediction sounds about right - would love to see Duke have a comfortable double-digit win, but a relatively low scoring slug fest and 5-10 point win seems likely.

Of course, this is the championship game in our 4-team weekend tournament, so any win will do, and gets us to the next 4 team tournament.

NashvilleDevil
03-21-2015, 02:42 PM
I went back and looked at Duke's losses in the Round of 32 since the expansion to 64 teams. Under K it happened in 85, 93, 97, and 08. Three of those losses were to schools from the Big East and the other was in the Pac-10. Duke was a 2 or 3 seed each time. I guess what I'm saying is Duke has not lost as a 1 seed in this round under K and they are not playing a school from a power conference. Take this however you want. I think the -7.5 point line this game opened at is ridiculously low and Duke plays one of their best games of the year tomorrow.

_Gary
03-21-2015, 03:02 PM
I went back and looked at Duke's losses in the Round of 32 since the expansion to 64 teams. Under K it happened in 85, 93, 97, and 08. Three of those losses were to schools from the Big East and the other was in the Pac-10. Duke was a 2 or 3 seed each time. I guess what I'm saying is Duke has not lost as a 1 seed in this round under K and they are not playing a school from a power conference. Take this however you want. I think the -7.5 point line this game opened at is ridiculously low and Duke plays one of their best games of the year tomorrow.

Agreed. I'm more optimistic about the margin of victory than most here. Kenpom be damned. I think we win going away. Closer to 20 than 10. I realize this isn't always the case, but the truly elite teams more often than not run away with victories during the first weekend of games. I think we are close to elite this year and I'm expecting a score than indicates that.

Of course, I'll be happy with a 1 point win as well. But I just don't see us being threatened by this SDSU team. Knock on wood.

jv001
03-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Duke favored by 9.5. The only ACC underdog is NC State(9.5) but Louisville is a pick-em. The cheats are favored by 4.5, VA favored by 5, and ND favored by 4. GoDuke!

cato
03-21-2015, 04:38 PM

SDSU is better than most of the teams in the Pac12. Not sure conference matters, here. After all the hand wringing about a team that couldn't even beat Robert freakin Morris, I don't get why people are taking SDSU so lightly.

Who cares about the fans, though. The staff and players seem to be paying attention. SDSU disrupts what you want to do, and are not easy to prepare for. This could easily come down to crunch time.

dukelifer
03-21-2015, 04:43 PM
SDSU is better than most of the teams in the Pac12. Not sure conference matters, here. After all the hand wringing about a team that couldn't even beat Robert freakin Morris, I don't get why people are taking SDSU so lightly.

Who cares about the fans, though. The staff and players seem to be paying attention. SDSU disrupts what you want to do, and are not easy to prepare for. This could easily come down to crunch time.

Who is taking them lightly? SDSU is an excellent defensive team but Duke does a lot well on O so that helps. The problem with Duke is their D and SDSU does not seem to do a lot well on that side of the ball- so that helps. Duke needs to get some easy hoops to win this one.

Dukehky
03-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Duke has never lost in the second round as a 1 seed.

SDSU scares me, I would have much rather played St John's a second time, especially without Obekpa. They are so long, that I think Quinn and Tyus may have a little trouble with the drive and finish game. If we are marginally good from deep, I think we win, but if we hit 6 or fewer, it is going to get really, really tight.

Unfortunately, I think this game is going to be close, and I'm just not sure how it will go. Justise needs to stop picking up 2 quick-ish fouls in the first half. The only fouls I really want him getting are on charges, because if he is attacking the hoop, we are at our best.

Personally, I think that SDSU is our worst match-up until a potential Gonzaga meeting, and I think Gonzaga is going to lose to UCLA, if they don't lose to Iowa tomorrow, which is a definite possibility.

Go Devils.

pfrduke
03-21-2015, 04:59 PM

I think there were two factors that went into North Florida hand wringing: 1) Lehigh/Mercer and psychology; and 2) matchups. The first factor comes from being overly concerned about having a 3rd loss in 4 years to a tiny school in the opening round (and, this year, the ignominy of being the first 1 to lost to a 16). Objectively speaking, we would and should have been large favorites over any 16 seed, but I at least was a lot more nervous about losing the first round game because of how freaking bad it would have been to lose the first round game again. Obviously, it would be awful to lose tomorrow, but it wouldn't feel quite as bad as if we had lost in the first round, so that psychological issue is not playing as big of a role in the collective fretting.

The second comes from the profile of teams that have beaten us - on the smaller side, multiple ball-handlers, and shooting from deep. North Florida had that. San Diego State does not. I think we match up very well against offensively challenged teams; much better than against offensively gifted but defensively challenged teams.

dukechem
03-21-2015, 05:25 PM
I didn't like the headline on the front page about one down and five to go. In this tournament, it's one down and one to go. It's never more than one to go at each step along the way. The minute we start thinking beyond the next opponent is when we will lose.

uh_no
03-21-2015, 05:45 PM
I didn't like the headline on the front page about one down and five to go. In this tournament, it's one down and one to go. It's never more than one to go at each step along the way. The minute we start thinking beyond the next opponent is when we will lose.

fortunately, how far ahead the fans think has no effect on how far ahead the team looks.

Utley
03-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Count me in the camp gearing for a tough game. San Diego St just seems freakish physically - everybody looked to be 6-6 to 6-8 with huge wingspans. I could see them taking away things we like to do on O. We will not be the physically superior team here.

I think transition will be key here. Just like vs. UVA - push it on every miss and try to score before their d is set.

I know they are known as a team that can't score but the return of Polee may make them a little more legitimate.

I still expect us to win but expect a battle.

The South region has a big Western flare with UCLA and Utah already booked for Houston and Zaga and SDSU fighting to join them.

cato
03-21-2015, 11:09 PM
The second comes from the profile of teams that have beaten us - on the smaller side, multiple ball-handlers, and shooting from deep. North Florida had that. San Diego State does not. I think we match up very well against offensively challenged teams; much better than against offensively gifted but defensively challenged teams.

Notre Dame did not look small when they ran up a bit margin against Duke in the ACC tournament. They looked strong, and one step ahead of Duke when they were on D. They kept everyone but Big Jah from scoring. That is what I am concerned about from the Aztecs.

gofurman
03-21-2015, 11:19 PM
Notre Dame did not look small when they ran up a bit margin against Duke in the ACC tournament. They looked strong, and one step ahead of Duke when they were on D. They kept everyone but Big Jah from scoring. That is what I am concerned about from the Aztecs.

Notre dame is smallish in the larger picture. They play 4 guards. And more importantly, ND has multiple ball handlers. Notre dame is a team that scores points. Sdsu is a bigger team and scary in length. Tough to score on. But I like that they shouldn't be great as penetrating ball handlers and aren't typically known for scoring a lot. Like Louisville.

2 scary scores from sdsu. Beat Pitt by 17. Lost to Arizona by 2. Those are strong scores I think

NashvilleDevil
03-21-2015, 11:38 PM
I haven't watched SDSU but by reading this thread they seem like Florida St, long and athletic and cannot shoot. I still think Duke wins this one pretty convincingly.

Kedsy
03-21-2015, 11:39 PM
I haven't watched SDSU but by reading this thread they seem like Florida St, long and athletic and cannot shoot. I still think Duke wins this one pretty convincingly.

Like we did against Florida State?

OldPhiKap
03-21-2015, 11:42 PM
Like we did against Florida State?

Our players compared them to UVa as far as defense and setting tempo. But when I heard "long" I thought of FSU too.

Either way, tough game.

g-money
03-22-2015, 01:36 AM
I'll go out on a limb and peg our magic number at 72 - if we score that many, we win.

Let's hope the freshmen come out ready to play after Friday's blowout. It would be great to jump out to an early lead on SDSU.

Bob Green
03-22-2015, 07:42 AM
I'll go out on a limb and peg our magic number at 72 - if we score that many, we win.

I'll say scoring 70 points is key. The consensus spread in Las Vegas this morning is Duke by 9.5 points with the over/under set at 129, so Duke covers 70-60 is my prediction. It would be nice for the bench to provide production today. With SDSU being long and physical, the bench should see significant minutes.

dukelifer
03-22-2015, 08:05 AM
I'll say scoring 70 points is key. The consensus spread in Las Vegas this morning is Duke by 9.5 points with the over/under set at 129, so Duke covers 70-60 is my prediction. It would be nice for the bench to provide production today. With SDSU being long and physical, the bench should see significant minutes.

Need to stay out of foul trouble. Physical games can be called tightly. I think Tyus needs to drive in this one and use their aggressiveness against them and get to the line. Grayson may also have an important role given his explosiveness. This will be a man's game so the young guys need to be ready.

Saratoga2
03-22-2015, 08:35 AM
1. Every team comes in and plays hard for 40 minutes. (ND by 3 last night for instance)

2. Very good teams get beat quite often (Villanova last night)

3. Matchups matter more than record (Baylor & SMU)

Duke needs to lace the shoes up tight and be ready to play. No weak start or lulls during the game. Coach K needs to look for defenses that confuse and limit San Diego Sts effectiveness. Lets hit our foul shots at a good clip as we will get fouled inside a lot.

Lets add one more ACC team to the sweet 16.

Bob Green
03-22-2015, 08:48 AM
A couple of points:

1. Our offense flows much better when our defense is clicking.

2. The 3/4 court zone press defense has been effective in disrupting the opponent's offense. The second game against Carolina and the game against Clemson are examples.

There is no telling what strategy and tactics Coach K will choose to employ today, and my past attempts to predict them have proven futile; however, I'm going to go ahead and predict we see a fair amount of zone press after made baskets in an attempt to take advantage of SDSU's offensive struggles.

roywhite
03-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Ah, the DBR board before a big game....such confidence. ;)

gocanes0506
03-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Ah, the DBR board before a big game....such confidence. ;)

Given the last 4 years of Duke basketball it's hard to be overly confident. Not enough seniors to be sure what we will see from game to game.

indy1duke
03-22-2015, 09:40 AM
After watching sdsu beat the Johnnies Friday I decided to look at the roster. It looked like Steve Fisher had his team on the South Beach diet. The roster stats confirm the eye test. Spenser is listed at 6'10" 240 lbs, and Chol is 6'9" 220. After that no one is over 215. Pole is 6'7" 200, Pope is 6'10" 205, Shrigley 6'6" 190, O'Brien 6'7" 215. Of course none of that determines the game's outcome other than to suggest our front court won't be pushed around today.

Henderson
03-22-2015, 09:44 AM
With SDSU being long and physical, the bench should see significant minutes.

I'm going to go ahead and predict we see a fair amount of zone press after made baskets in an attempt to take advantage of SDSU's offensive struggles.

I like both of these predictions. We'll score our points, and making sure SDSU reverts to their mean will be the key. That ľ zone trap with Amile in the middle of the backcourt has been particularly disruptive when employed. Imagine how much more effective it would be with a 30 second shot clock.

With Marshall's much-improved play, he should get Jah some nice periods of rest. When discussing the ill-advised dunk attempt from Friday, K made the point that he was particularly displeased by Jah's error because Jah was tired after just being in the game a short time.

I expect fewer minutes from Grayson than from Amile and Marshall. He's been ill, and I'm not sure what he adds to our matchup in this game other than solid productivity and some rest for the starters at important points.

[Now watch Grayson go off for 30...]

NYBri
03-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Key game for this young team. Curious to see how they respond. No doubt they can and should win...but...

jipops
03-22-2015, 11:06 AM
A couple of points:

1. Our offense flows much better when our defense is clicking.

I believe this to be an important point. Our defense has suffered when our offense starts stall. So much so that even bad offenses have looked good. I don't expect the offense to be clicking today so hopefully our guys will be mature enough to maintain defensive pressure.

NashvilleDevil
03-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Given the last 4 years of Duke basketball it's hard to be overly confident. Not enough seniors to be sure what we will see from game to game.

But given the last 5 years of Duke in the tournament there should be reason to be confident.

cato
03-22-2015, 12:02 PM
A few notes on the Aztecs from Kevin Acee, the local beat reported here in San Diego:

"State is one of 17 programs to have won at least 20 games 10 straight seasons. (Duke has 19 straight.) The Aztecs are one of just eight teams to make the NCAA Tournament each of the past six years. (Duke has made it 20 straight seasons, second to Kansas’ 26.) Since the start of the 2010 season, the Aztecs’ 141-35 record is sixth-best in the nation. (Duke’s 145-31 is third.)

Now, a victory away from their second straight Sweet Sixteen appearance and their third in five years, the Aztecs meet the perfect opponent by which to measure that progress."

subzero02
03-22-2015, 12:15 PM
We are down to an 8.5 point favorite. I'd love to see us press them ealry and often. Force turnovers and jumpshots. Keep their length off the offensive glass. On the other end of the floor, it's the #2 offense vs. the #4 defense... They haven't faced a Jahlil yet.

Sixthman
03-22-2015, 12:18 PM
A few notes on the Aztecs from Kevin Acee, the local beat reported here in San Diego:

"State is one of 17 programs to have won at least 20 games 10 straight seasons. (Duke has 19 straight.) The Aztecs are one of just eight teams to make the NCAA Tournament each of the past six years. (Duke has made it 20 straight seasons, second to Kansas’ 26.) Since the start of the 2010 season, the Aztecs’ 141-35 record is sixth-best in the nation. (Duke’s 145-31 is third.)

Now, a victory away from their second straight Sweet Sixteen appearance and their third in five years, the Aztecs meet the perfect opponent by which to measure that progress."

A look at their season results leaves me scratching my head at SDSU seed. A couple of good losses, including a two point loss to Arizona, and solid wins over Utah, BYU, Pitt, and season split with league runner up Boise state. I think they must have been dinged for two point loss in conference tournament to a ten loss Wyoming team. My keys to the game are Duke's ability to score in transition versus SDSU's ability to disrupt Duke passing in the half court offense with their length. We have gotten pushed into a lot of turnovers by a few games by teams who deflect or steal otherwise routine passes in half court offense. I don't know enough about their ball handlers to know if we can give them problems with three quarter trap. Here's to our freshmen looking like the battle tested players they are!!

nmduke2001
03-22-2015, 12:22 PM
I've watched SDSU a few times this year. They can really get after you defensively but they really struggle offensively. I don't expect them to shoot as well as they did on Friday.

subzero02
03-22-2015, 12:26 PM
A look at their season results leaves me scratching my head at SDSU seed. A couple of good losses, including a two point loss to Arizona, and solid wins over Utah, BYU, Pitt, and season split with league runner up Boise state. I think they must have been dinged for two point loss in conference tournament to a ten loss Wyoming team. My keys to the game are Duke's ability to score in transition versus SDSU's ability to disrupt Duke passing in the half court offense with their length. We have gotten pushed into a lot of turnovers by a few games by teams who deflect or steal otherwise routine passes in half court offense. I don't know enough about their ball handlers to know if we can give them problems with three quarter trap. Here's to our freshmen looking like the battle tested players they are!!

They didn't split with Boise State... They proved to be offensively inept in both meetings. The first matchup was a 61-46 loss, the second was a 56-46 loss.

CDu
03-22-2015, 12:52 PM

They didn't split with Boise State... They proved to be offensively inept in both meetings. The first matchup was a 61-46 loss, the second was a 56-46 loss.

Not only that, but they lost to an under-.500 Fresno team. A team with 5 losses in the Mountain West sure feels like an 8/9 seed (or worse) to me.

Les Grossman
03-22-2015, 12:58 PM
wow, the UVA / M St game is brutal. 23-18 at half. First to 50?

OldPhiKap
03-22-2015, 01:01 PM
wow, the UVA / M St game is brutal. 23-18 at half. First to 50?

Your counting on overtime?

Having said that, I expect Sparty to start executing better after half.

dukechem
03-22-2015, 01:23 PM
When I looked at the rosters on ESPN for SDSU and Duke, they are listed as having 18 players! Now Duke is listed as having 12 including Obi and Murphy (?). When I looked at UVa and MSU, they have 16 and 17 respectively. I thought there was a limit on roster size. I know there's a limit on scholarships, but is it only the NBA that limits the roster size?

Now I know SDSU isn't going to play 18 players, but, if they decide to play "chop an Oak," they certainly have the bodies to send in.

SkyBrickey
03-22-2015, 01:28 PM
When I watched them play Friday night, they reminded me of a Syracuse team - long, thin, bouncy players. Tough to get by and score over.

Balanced scoring and rebounding. They seemed to rush at times and were vulnerable to turnovers. They had 13 for the game.

Full-court trapping press today? I'm expecting it for at least part of the game.

Go Devils! Let's punch that Sweet 16 ticket!

MarkD83
03-22-2015, 02:23 PM
To add to the neurotic nature of Duke fans on this site (including myself)....I like that UVA lost because it will eliminate the pressure that comes with the ACC being undefeated. In addition since the UVA game is being played in Charlotte I feared that there would be one ACC loss left in that building this year and UVA took it. Now I feel better. :)

-jk
03-22-2015, 02:23 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
03-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/SDSU, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/san-diego-state-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-3222015

_Gary
03-22-2015, 02:36 PM
I just hope the first game in Charlotte today was not a harbinger of "Upset Sunday" unfolding. No more, at least not this afternoon, please!

CR9
03-22-2015, 02:43 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Getting redirected to smilies?

subzero02
03-22-2015, 02:53 PM
SDSU better keep that stomach virus to themselves

rsvman
03-22-2015, 03:02 PM
SDSU better keep that stomach virus to themselves

Amen, brother.

NYBri
03-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Good start to the first time out.

rsvman
03-22-2015, 03:23 PM
I like the energy. Defense looks strong so far, too.

NM Duke Fan
03-22-2015, 03:24 PM
EXTRAORDINARY! When this team gets it going like this on both ends of the floor, I really think they are the best overall team in the country. Okafor is downright scary today, there is so much focus and intensity it is like they are all channeling Coach K himself...

FerryFor50
03-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Okafor is looking more spry. He and Winslow are focused and locked in. Let's stay that way!

Duke3517
03-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Sdsu doesn't matchup well at all. Should be a blowout.

TNDukeFan
03-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Justise.
F.
Winslow.

FerryFor50
03-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Huge block by Winslow after a bad pass by Tyus

rsvman
03-22-2015, 03:34 PM

Weauxf gods won't like this....

turnandburn55
03-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Did Kenny Smith just say Justice Winslow is a better defender than Shane Battier, or do I need to stop sniffing glue?

FerryFor50
03-22-2015, 03:35 PM
I know Duke is up by quite a bit but I would really like to see these foul calls on both ends. Doesn't seem to be a ton of contact on the Duke fouls.

TNDukeFan
03-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Did Kenny Smith just say Justice Winslow is a better defender than Shane Battier, or do I need to stop sniffing glue?

Grant Hill said that.

subzero02
03-22-2015, 03:36 PM

They don't have the quickness/ballhandling across the board to really disrupt our halfcourt defense.

Justise Winslow is great on defense but I can't give him the nod over Shane yet. If he comes back another year, the title is his for the taking ;-)

Troublemaker
03-22-2015, 03:36 PM

Glue. Grant Hill said that. (I'm sure it was in jest).

NashvilleDevil
03-22-2015, 03:43 PM

Please sit the second half out and don't talk for a while.

davekay1971
03-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Maybe he meant as a freshman...

mr. synellinden
Grant Hill said that.

Heresy. And absolutely false.

g-money
Our offensive sets were a thing of beauty that half. Let's keep it up!!

arnie
03-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Glue. Grant Hill said that. (I'm sure it was in jest).

I think Grant was simply getting carried away. I got an email when he said that though - Duke Scout reported we received commitment from Brandon Hill a 4-Star linebacker. Maybe Grant got the same email and was excited for Duke football.

SCMatt33
03-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Just need a few more defensive boards. Pretty satisfied though. They were able to slow it down pretty good for the most part and we gave them a steady dose of Jah.

mo.st.dukie
03-22-2015, 03:49 PM
If Winslow stays through his senior year he'll be tied with Battier as best Duke defender. That's not going to happen though.

Utley
03-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Amazing to have that lead with Tyus not playing his best. We are really going to be tough to beat when Okafor comes out and says I am the best player on the court. I really didn't realize his touch was that good - definitely extending his range. Makes the foul shooting all the more frustrating. It also looks like he lost a little weight and is more spry.

Big thing to work on is second chance points. SDSU got a bunch of baskets like that in the last 5 minutes.

NashvilleDevil
03-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Duke needs to extend the lead by the under 16 minute timeout. If SDSU comes out and gets the lead to 6 or 7 it's going to be a dogfight the rest of the way.

_Gary
03-22-2015, 03:53 PM
Great showing for most of the half. Just a couple of lapses that allowed them to stay just within striking distance. Had we been able to be a bit better the last couple of minutes and gone in up 18 or so, this one is over. As it is, there might be just enough "light" for SDSU to stick around and make it tough on us. I'm still hoping for a 20+ point win, but of course I'll take a 1 point one as well.

TruBlu
03-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Jahlil with half (almost) of the Duke points.

Winslow with half of the Duke Rebounds.

Keep up the intensity in the 2nd half.

_Gary
03-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Duke needs to extend the lead by the under 16 minute timeout. If SDSU comes out and gets the lead to 6 or 7 it's going to be a dogfight the rest of the way.

Absolutely agree. We can either put our foot on their proverbial neck and kill them during the first 4 minute stretch of the 2nd half, or we can be lackadaisical enough for them to cut the lead down and make it a game until the very end. Those first four minutes will be critical coming out of the locker room.

subzero02
03-22-2015, 03:58 PM
We could've been a bit better on the defensive boards. Tyus is struggling to score; it's a good thing Quinn isn't. Let's keep this lead above double figures and bring it on home.

CR9
03-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Amile only played 5 minutes. Maybe double that to help on the glass cause that's their only offense, really.

subzero02
03-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Who didn't see that Okafor turnover coming from a mile away?

g-money
03-22-2015, 04:10 PM
I hope I didn't jinx anything by complimenting our offensive sets at halftime. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot more standing around to start the second half.

Let's not start sleepwalking now, guys!

rsvman
03-22-2015, 04:11 PM
I don't like that we've switched to essentially playing their game. We're allowing them to dictate tempo and letting them set up their defense.

_Gary
03-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Looks like we want to play a tight, full 40 minute game because we sure have come out passive. No stepping on the head of snake for us to start the half. And Matt. Good gosh he's got to be more aggressive on the offensive end. He had a chance early on here to put the ball back in the hoop and chose to pass it out to Jah instead of go up strong. Then he shoots a poor three. I love the kid on the defensive end, but he really hurts the team a lot when he gets so passive and makes poor decisions on the offensive end of the court.

CR9
03-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Can Gray/Amile get some burn? Fairly lifeless out there with this 5.

CDu
This team's willingness to lose focus is frustrating at times.

gumbomoop
Let's not start sleepwalking now, guys!

D has become stagnant. Our biggest problem.

Duke3517
03-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Please sit the second half out and don't talk for a while.

Duke is not focused. This time of the year you cannot let up... Teams don't want to go home...

CDu
03-22-2015, 04:17 PM

I would say our offense has been the problem. The defense has been solid, except that their de facto center has hit two 3s because Okafor won't challenge out there.

slower
03-22-2015, 04:18 PM

This game is VERY loseable. Matt Jones needs to let others shoot if he can't do any better than that. Pitiful.

Really afraid these guys don't value every possession like they should.

TruBlu
03-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Has a team ever played a complete game in the Tourney without shooting a free throw? We are headed that way.

_Gary
03-22-2015, 04:19 PM
I would say our offense has been the problem. The defense has been solid, except that their de facto center has hit two 3s.

Bingo. It's not the D, but our slow down, motionless offense, that's killing us.

Utley
03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
We need to play to win - not just hang on. Time for our run

_Gary
03-22-2015, 04:23 PM
This game is VERY loseable. Matt Jones needs to let others shoot if he can't do any better than that. Pitiful.

Really afraid these guys don't value every possession like they should.

Yeah. Too many unforced turnovers here in the second half.

CDu
03-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Coach K makes the switch to put Okafor on O'Brien. Smart man. Don't let Okafor get stuck guarding a perimeter guy.

Aside from those two 3s, we have given up just 7 points this half. But we have gotten really lazy offensively. Gotta stay focused.

The Gordog
03-22-2015, 04:24 PM
That call on Grayson was about the worst ever.

CR9
03-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Bout time to switch to a zone if they keep trying to drag Jah out of the lane.

Karl Beem
03-22-2015, 04:26 PM
4 frosh starting?

FerryFor50
03-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Incredible that there is 8:45 left and Duke still hasn't shot a ft.

I know I've seen some contact by SDSU on shots.

Though lt Duke got all the calls?

slower
03-22-2015, 04:30 PM
A team of 5 Winslows would win the natty. There is ZERO doubt that he's gone to the NBA.

g-money
Has a team ever played a complete game in the Tourney without shooting a free throw? We are headed that way.

That's because the only player eligible to be called for a foul is Grayson Allen. Ha.

CR9
A team of 5 Winslows would win the natty. There is ZERO doubt that he's gone to the NBA.

Don't say that :(

CDu
03-22-2015, 04:31 PM

Yeah, when he is dialed in, he is a hoss. The kid can ball.

_Gary
03-22-2015, 04:32 PM
I hope it hasn't escaped everyone's notice that we went on that run when Grayson was inserted for Matt.

subzero02
03-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Okafor with back to back frees!!!!

FerryFor50
03-22-2015, 04:33 PM
I hope it hasn't escaped everyone's notice that we went on that run when Grayson was inserted for Matt.

Really no actual correlation there.

g-money
03-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Winslow must've checked his twitter at halftime.

rsvman
03-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Matt with a dagger three at the end of the shot clock.

_Gary
03-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Really no actual correlation there.

Totally disagree. Grayson brought toughness and energy when we needed to wake up.

FerryFor50
03-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Double block! Winslow and Okafor!

FerryFor50
03-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Totally disagree. Grayson brought toughness and energy when we needed to wake up.

He brought fouls and little else. Jones was at least hitting the glass

The run was a result of getting back to Okafor and Winslow.

arnie
03-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Okafor with back to back frees!!!!
Hope those 2 are our only throws- would make for great stat.

_Gary
03-22-2015, 04:41 PM

Nope. Can't believe we see this as differently as we do. In fact, I'll predict that Coach specifically mentions Grayson in his post-game presser.

MarkD83
03-22-2015, 04:41 PM
I love that duke took the heart out of sdsu

MarkD83
03-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Time to take Quinn out

rsvman
03-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Salted it away. Nice win for the program. Great game fir Winslow and Okafor.

Kfanarmy
03-22-2015, 04:44 PM

See more than the ball.

FerryFor50
03-22-2015, 04:46 PM
See more than the ball.

I do which is why it pisses me off when people discount what Matt Jones brings to the table and pinning the team's poor play or effort on him.

Allen is talented and plays hard but had little to nothing to do with Duke's run.

_Gary
03-22-2015, 04:48 PM
I do which is why it pisses me off when people discount what Matt Jones brings to the table and pinning the team's poor play or effort on him.

Allen is talented and plays hard but had little to nothing to do with Duke's run.

LOL. Great timing on that comment.

And for the record, I love Matt and refuse to have you twist my comments into some sort of slamming of Matt. I've been consistent all year saying I love Matt's overall game, and especially his D. But he's often passive on the offensive end and it does hurt us. I liked Grayson's aggressiveness today when he came in and think it helped us more than you are giving him credit for.

subzero02
03-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Matt Jones with the worst inbounds pass in the history of the NCAA tourney... Let's close this out and pump our guys full of vitamins. Utah is next.

FerryFor50
03-22-2015, 04:49 PM
LOL. Great timing on that comment.

Yep, up 24 and Jones makes a bad pass. it happens.

Tjenkins
03-22-2015, 04:50 PM
I'm taking a graduate school class, so I didn't watch much beyond the first five minutes until now.

I don't want to sound "satisfied", but it feels good to see Duke in the Sweet 16, feels great to get there by stomping Steve Fisher.