PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 85, Robt Morris 56 postgame thread

hurleyfor3
03-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Did we win by enough points? Tell me, internet.

rsvman
03-20-2015, 09:13 PM
I think so.

Pretty happy.

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2015, 09:15 PM
On to the next round of hand wringing.

DUKEinFW
Perfect game to get Cook going again and get MP3 and Allen so Big game experience.

wgpatrick
We shot 7/14 from the line. Otherwise, great win and great response when it got to 10.

Time to sit back and check out St. Johns v. SD State.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Did we win by enough points? Tell me, internet.

Well if Grayson makes that last three, we would have had a 75% chance of making the FF.

But we won by 29, so now we only have a 38% chance.

Ahhh poop.

Troublemaker
03-20-2015, 09:17 PM
We shot 7/14 from the line. Otherwise, great win and great response when it got to 10.

The team read the pre-game thread. They understood the stakes.

Henderson
03-20-2015, 09:17 PM
Now on the box: Bachman Turner Overdrive's, Takin' Care of Business.

Kedsy
03-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Otherwise, great win and great response when it got to 10.

I actually think it was a good thing that we let the lead drop down to 10 and then were able to focus and cruise. Hopefully shows the team that they can't let up in this tournament even for a minute. If they learn that lesson, we'll be OK.

hurleyfor3
03-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Now on the box: Bachman Turner Overdrive's, Takin' Care of Business.

DBR. Where we love to work at nothing all day.

stillcrazie
03-20-2015, 09:19 PM
At least we didn't have to work overtime.

FerryFor50
03-20-2015, 09:22 PM
We beat Robert Morris. That means we won the tournament right?

Billy Dat
03-20-2015, 09:22 PM
I actually think it was a good thing that we let the lead drop down to 10 and then were able to focus and cruise. Hopefully shows the team that they can't let up in this tournament even for a minute. If they learn that lesson, we'll be OK.

It also got Justise going...we need him full throttle from the jump!!!

I got annoyed with the Robert Morris cherry picking, but I guess we let them get away with it.

Troublemaker
03-20-2015, 09:23 PM
But seriously, we were ultra-sharp in the first half and did a great job zipping passes to our big men along the baseline (the "short corner" as Raferty called it) to loosen and break apart the zone. We defended their quick guards really well, for the most part. Very pleased with this win. This was the ACC's first point spread cover of the tournament thus far.

NYBri
DBR. Where we love to work at nothing all day.

DBR is HARD work!

FerryFor50

I got annoyed with the Robert Morris cherry picking, but I guess we let them get away with it.

Just wait - someone in this thread will blame the transition D.

wgpatrick
03-20-2015, 09:24 PM

Yeah - I totally agree.

Newton_14
03-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Great job Devils! Loved the response once Bobby Mo cut it to 10 in the 2nd half and had the momentum. Winslow stepped up big right after that to get the momentum back to us. Great overall game. Quinn was Quinn, Okafor did his thing (but please no more reverse dunk attempts big fella. Just throw down a nasty one hander and go the other way), and defense was strong. Great bench play with Plumdawg getting the Double Double. Justise had another Baby Lebron game stuffin the stat sheet.

On to the next game. I loved the numbers they showed for Duke as a Number 1 seed. Never less than a Sweet 16, and lots of Elite 8/Final Fours. People forget the success sometimes.

Play of the game? Winslow with the pin the ball on the glass block and brings it down with him. Shame it led to a missed dunk rather than a finish but beautiful sequence prior to the miss!

Well done Devils!

The Road To The Final Four continues on Sunday!

Go Duke!

hurleyfor3
03-20-2015, 09:25 PM
We beat Robert Morris. That means we won the tournament right?

Specifically, we beat RM by six points more than Kentucky beat Hampton. Therefore we are better than Kentucky, and national champions.

pfrduke
03-20-2015, 09:26 PM
But seriously, we were ultra-sharp in the first half and did a great job zipping passes to our big men along the baseline (the "short corner" as Raferty called it) to loosen and break apart the zone. We defended their quick guards really well, for the most part. Very pleased with this win. This was the ACC's first point spread cover of the tournament thus far.

Non-Duke ACC teams: +21
Duke: +29

wgpatrick
03-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Winslow stepped up big right after that to get the momentum back to us.
!

I LOVE watching Winslow pushing on the fast break. Lots of momentum, literally.

Kedsy
03-20-2015, 09:27 PM

Agreed. Justise and Tyus are our two players who seem not to bring it all the time if they perceive an inferior opponent. Hopefully they'll either learn their lesson that we can't afford to take it easy against anyone or as the competition increases they won't feel like they can afford to lay back.

Rich
03-20-2015, 09:31 PM

And hopefully Jah has learned no showboating and to respect the game. We haven't seen that stuff all year. Man, was K pissed! Marshall was awesome, btw. Love the intensity.

KandG
03-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Weird game that mirrored the highest highs and (some of the) lows of the season. Three quarters of it looking like the otherworldly effort against State in the ACC tournament, one quarter the unfocused or borderline arrogant "feeling myself" type play that was reminiscent of playing VA Tech or Wake on the road.

Glad Winslow woke up offensively in time to stave off the run and establish the expected Duke dominance. Never worried about losing vs Robert Morris, but I wasn't crazy about having to rely on a very long Winslow 3 with one second left on the shot clock in order to avoid giving RMU the chance to extend their run.

I'd like to see Justise get started on offense a little earlier next time, but it's hard to argue with so many assisted baskets and top notch play from most of the team. Defense against dribble penetration and 3s was outstanding, and Amile and Marshall seemed to fight for every loose ball harder than anyone else on the floor.

Hope the missed Jah dunk gives the team the kick necessary to make sure their focus remains sharp through the rest of the tournament. These highs and lows, though expected for a young team, still give me heartburn.

NM Duke Fan
03-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Winslow was like a Swiss Army knife out there, doing all kinds of little things, and keying the explosion when it got down to ten. Plumlee also really stood out, wow! Would be hard for me to choose between the two for player of the game...

Coach K seems to only grow in intensity and focus as he "ages." Amazing. You almost wonder if he is from another Planet.

So many good things to take away from this game, one of the better starts to the tournament that I can remember.

wilson
03-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Was that the best game of Marshall Plumlee's career? If he can sustain that level of play (but not necessarily that level of statistical output), then I like our chances a lot more than I did 24 hours ago.

CDu
03-20-2015, 09:33 PM

You would think after getting pantsed by State and Miami and after not showing up ready against Notre Dame, they would have learned their lesson. But apparently not. I agree that hopefully they learn the lesson this time.

Troublemaker
03-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Postgame live right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyCKiyx0REY

GoDuke should have it up later regardless

CDu
03-20-2015, 09:36 PM
Agreed. Justise and Tyus are our two players who seem not to bring it all the time if they perceive an inferior opponent. Hopefully they'll either learn their lesson that we can't afford to take it easy against anyone or as the competition increases they won't feel like they can afford to lay back.

I actually think Cook was guilty tonight as well. Not offensively - he was great there - but defensively. He was (along with Jones) caught napping several times in transition allowing RoMo some easy transition buckets during their run.

Focus has been the biggest concern with this team all year, and it appears that it will remain a concern the whole way.

Saratoga2
03-20-2015, 09:42 PM

I thought the RM run began with Okafor's miss on the fancy dunk attempt. Coach K wasn't amused by the showboating, even if we were ahead by 17 at the time. A good learning experience for Jahlil.

Justise seemed quiet in the first half, similar to his first half against Notre Dame. He certainly picked it up in the second half although his defense was solid for both halfs.

Quinn was on and our bigs were dominant. Take Quinn away and who else would step up? Justise, Tyus, Grayson? Surely coaches will think to guard Quinn more like what Notre Dame did.

Great game for Duke to have in their rearview mirror. Things will get harder on Sunday but at least the guys didn't rack up big minutes and no one was injured. The way other highly thought of teams have fallen, it is a real accomplishment to get a win like this. So far it has been the number 1 seeds that have won fairly easily along with Arizona.

brevity
03-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Duke is now 30-4 on the season. This is Coach K's 14th squad to reach 30 wins. Roy Williams has 10. Rick Pitino has 8. No one else is close.

NSDukeFan
03-20-2015, 09:53 PM
I love that Amile played big minutes and played well. I believe Duke is a better team when he is a significant contributor. I also, of course, loved Plumlee's game and the MP1 82-50 dunk imitation he did on his last oop dunk at the end. Very good win and excellent start to hopefully a long tournament.

KandG
03-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Postgame live right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyCKiyx0REY

GoDuke should have it up later regardless

Interesting that K noted that Jah and Justise weren't talking at the start of the game, and that the team really took off when Amile and Marshall entered and were much more talkative. Now that the freshmen have gotten some tournament exposure, hopefully the on court communication and energy kick up another notch against a better opponent on Sunday. Can't wait.

DRC
03-20-2015, 10:08 PM
Impressed with MP3's play, hustle and contribution tonight. Nice strong double-double. As mentioned in a previous response, we can't ever let up and take our foot off the gas for one minute in this tournament....and no showboating. On to the next match-up which should prove to be more challenging.

sagegrouse
03-20-2015, 10:30 PM

Time to sit back and check out St. Johns v. SD State.

We shot 7-14 because neither Quinn nor Tyus took a FT -- and 50 percent is what the rest of the team shoots. :rolleyes:

bluenorth
03-20-2015, 10:31 PM
The team played excellent defense in the first half, very focused and aggressive. The let-down in the second half might have been expected with that big lead, but Coach definitely helped them to re-focus. The lip-readers in the audience could probably tell us exactly what was said, as the TV cameras seem to have been focused on Coaches K and Capel at certain times. I think part of the message was 'Why are you jacking up threes when we have an unstoppable post player?' We can all guess at the other part of the message.
Nice effort from Okafor at both ends of the court. What a great soft touch he has around the basket. And if Plumlee can continue to give backup minutes like that, it should be a great tournament.

sagegrouse
03-20-2015, 10:35 PM
This was a "book" game. RM was very small on the front line, and would have no luck guarding Jahlil. Yup.

SCMatt33
03-20-2015, 11:02 PM
You could really tell Duke was trying to conserve offensively all game. Everything was either lobs, jumpers, or run outs. There were very few hard drive to the rim or complex plays being run. There was no need to unnecessarily take a lot of bumps at this point in the year. The D was locked in for the first half and early in the second. It was when they stopped hustling for balls on D that Bobby Mo made a little run, but you could really see that Duke had another gear that they hadn't yet been using when the pushed it from 10 out to 25 very fast. With SDSU winning, Duke might need to be ready for a lot of bumps come Sunday.

Neals384
03-20-2015, 11:28 PM
At least we didn't have to work overtime.

Speak for yourself :) I just finished the +/- and it's definitely past time for the weekend salute.

Olympic Fan
03-20-2015, 11:32 PM
Was that the best game of Marshall Plumlee's career?

I don't know if it was his best, but it was his first career double-double (10 points, 10 rebounds).

DukeDevil
03-21-2015, 12:56 AM
Jahlil needs to thank his lucky stars he didn't make the not top 10 on ESPN. As the Geico Gecko says..."somewhere, some guy who is number 11 is breathing a sigh of relief"

cato
03-21-2015, 02:54 AM
I'd be interested to see if we picked the margin correctly, but I can't find the prediction thread. Ah well.

SDSU is a different beast, entirely. Everyone says they would rather go up against a top flight D, but I'm not so sure. Sunday will be strength against strength, and weakness against weakness.

azzefkram
03-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Overall a very good game. They got a little sloppy/complacent with the big lead early in the second half but Coach did a good job redirecting them. It seemed like he played the second team down the stretch maybe to reinforce the point. A really solid game by MPIII... definitely MotM caliber. Justise was quiet shooting the ball but I loved the 11 boards and 7 assists. It would probably have been a 40pt blowout if not for some very tough makes by Pryor and Reed. When it closed to 10 I had a nagging thought that Pryor might "Bootsey" us.

One down, next.

dukelifer
03-21-2015, 11:23 AM
I don't know if it was his best, but it was his first career double-double (10 points, 10 rebounds).

We have seen two excellent games from Plumlee in the last 3. I like the way Duke is using him. There are too many guys for the other team to worry about on this team and Plumlee gets to stand near the basket and wait for dumpdowns for a dunk. He knows his role and is doing it very well. They have definitely worked on his catching the ball. Much improved. He is also very good a tapping the ball out - ala Zoubs. He is a real weapon now.

dukelifer
03-21-2015, 11:45 AM
We have seen two excellent games from Plumlee in the last 3. I like the way Duke is using him. There are too many guys for the other team to worry about on this team and Plumlee gets to stand near the basket and wait for dumpdowns for a dunk. He knows his role and is doing it very well. They have definitely worked on his catching the ball. Much improved. He is also very good a tapping the ball out - ala Zoubs. He is a real weapon now.

Marshall with his battle scars

crimsondevil
03-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Well if Grayson makes that last three, we would have had a 75% chance of making the FF.

But we won by 29, so now we only have a 38% chance.

Ahhh poop.

Well, if we adjust the bin size to 7 instead of 10:
1-7 - 0%
8-14 - 22%
15-21 - 20%
22-28 - 43%
29+ 64%

Better? :cool:

jimsumner
03-21-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm surprised by the negativity here. Yes, Duke had a bad two-minute stretch when RMU went on a 10-0 run. The other 38 minutes? Duke by 39.

Practically everything went right.

Duke led by double digits most of the game, got great bench performances from Jefferson and Plumlee, got Allen back on the court after some illness and gave NCAA experience to four freshmen and a couple of other guys with little prior NCAA experience.

And Duke's response to some second-half pressure was to put the foot to the gas pedal and pull away with something resembling ruthless efficiency.

A really, really good two hours. IMO.

jv001
03-21-2015, 01:46 PM

MPIII does indeed seem to be catching the ball better and I like the Zoubs impersonation of tapping the ball out for offensive rebounds. Great to see the big guy step up. GoDuke!

Dev11
03-21-2015, 02:14 PM
something resembling ruthless efficiency.

But our chief weapon was fear. And surprise. Fear and surprise

Bob Green
03-21-2015, 02:22 PM
They have definitely worked on his catching the ball. Much improved. He is also very good a tapping the ball out - ala Zoubs.

I completely agree with your first point. Marshall Plumlee has demonstrated good hands in recent games, hopefully it continues as he is a threat to score with the ball close to the basket. As for your second point, I really desire to see him grab the ball instead of tapping it out.

_Gary
03-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Even though I would have dearly loved to see us win the ACC Tourney, if a week off is what it was going to take to get Jahlil looking like his old self again physically, then I'm all for that trade-off. For the first time since UNC I, I felt like he had no hiccups in his gait, and moved pretty well with others milling around and under him. Before last night, I felt he was just a tad hesitant at times, possibly worried about re-injuring the ankle. But not yesterday. He looked fine and I think that bodes well for us going forward.

No complaints from me about the game. As Jim mentioned above, other than a short stretch in the second half where we gave momentum away and allowed RM to trim our lead down to 10, we were in complete control.

My only wish (and it's truly nothing more than a wish at this point) is that somehow we could see Matt step up his game on the offensive end a bit more. I've been thrilled with his defense all year, and last night was no exception. But offensively he just isn't where I'd like him to be. Seems like he still goes up soft with the ball on most of his drives, and I still don't feel like he's going to make his threes most of the time. If he could just improve even a little offensively, I'd feel like we really do have a strong chance of getting all the way to the championship game. And don't get me wrong - I still think we have a good chance of getting there. But a better Matt on offensive would go a long way toward increasing our odds, imho.

MCFinARL
03-21-2015, 02:53 PM
I completely agree with your first point. Marshall Plumlee has demonstrated good hands in recent games, hopefully it continues as he is a threat to score with the ball close to the basket. As for your second point, I really desire to see him grab the ball instead of tapping it out.

Tapping it out is great, as far as I'm concerned, when he controls the tap to a Duke teammate--but that doesn't always happen.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2015, 02:54 PM
But our chief weapon was fear. And surprise. Fear and surprise

Don't forget fanatical devotion to the Pope.

Newton_14
03-21-2015, 02:55 PM
I'm surprised by the negativity here. Yes, Duke had a bad two-minute stretch when RMU went on a 10-0 run. The other 38 minutes? Duke by 39.

Practically everything went right.

Duke led by double digits most of the game, got great bench performances from Jefferson and Plumlee, got Allen back on the court after some illness and gave NCAA experience to four freshmen and a couple of other guys with little prior NCAA experience.

And Duke's response to some second-half pressure was to put the foot to the gas pedal and pull away with something resembling ruthless efficiency.

A really, really good two hours. IMO.

Actually, I totally agree. When Robert Morris cut it to 10, my wife asked me if Duke was in trouble. I said "not yet". A few minutes later, it was a 24 point lead. I thought it was a great performance and way too much is being made about the one mini-run Robert Morris made to cut it to 10. College teams make runs. It's part of the game.

Duke was great last night.

jv001
03-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Actually, I totally agree. When Robert Morris cut it to 10, my wife asked me if Duke was in trouble. I said "not yet". A few minutes later, it was a 24 point lead. I thought it was a great performance and way too much is being made about the one mini-run Robert Morris made to cut it to 10. College teams make runs. It's part of the game.

Duke was great last night.

Duke was really great last night and there were plenty of stars in this game. Quinn got us off to a fast start and played a fantastic first half. Justise took over for a stretch when the lead was cut to 10 points. Jahlil and MPIII played steady the entire game. Amile, Tyus played consistently the entire game. Matt and Grayson gave good efforts and rounded out the rotation. I will be satisfied if we begin all the games with the same energy we displayed last night. No complaints from this Duke fan. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
03-21-2015, 03:26 PM

As you understand, "The Duke Basketball Report" is not a very good psychotherapist, but the price is right.

Kindly, Sage
'Hmmm... if posters had to pay $1.00 for every message posted, there would be fewer (and longer) posts. But, would the posts collectively be more negative or more positive?'

hurleyfor3
03-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Don't forget fanatical devotion to the Pope.

And... you were setting someone up for this... shiny red uniforms.

gep
03-21-2015, 05:51 PM

Tapping it out is great, as far as I'm concerned, when he controls the tap to a Duke teammate--but that doesn't always happen.

I saw this "tap-out" a few times too. For what I thought I saw, he tapped out when he couldn't get 2 hands on the ball... probably without fouling. So the tap-out was his best chance. Unfortunately, at least a couple of times the ball ended up with RM... But his strong 2 handed rebounds were a great thing to see.

Henderson
03-21-2015, 06:07 PM
I saw this "tap-out" a few times too. For what I thought I saw, he tapped out when he couldn't get 2 hands on the ball... probably without fouling. So the tap-out was his best chance. Unfortunately, at least a couple of times the ball ended up with RM... But his strong 2 handed rebounds were a great thing to see.

If SDSU wants to tap out right now, we can all get on planes to Houston.

SilkyJ
03-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Was that the best game of Marshall Plumlee's career? If he can sustain that level of play (but not necessarily that level of statistical output), then I like our chances a lot more than I did 24 hours ago.

He's playing really well and executing his role with military-like precision, but i think his contribution to our "chances" is going to be limited by minutes. I'd expect he'll only play ~8-10mpg as we get deeper, depending on foul trouble, etc. Its just a function of playing the same position as the potential player of the year...