PDA

View Full Version : March Madness Commercials

TNDukeFan
03-20-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm already good and sick and tired of Barkley's slipper.
Also, why does every car commercial seemingly feature grumpy grandmothers?

Tripping William
03-20-2015, 07:40 PM

Because, like Christian Laettner, the auto companies are resting on their laurels.

Newton_14
03-20-2015, 09:27 PM
Because, like Christian Laettner, the auto companies are resting on their laurels.That's my favorite one so far. Loved it!!

rsvman
03-20-2015, 09:31 PM
I hate Buick! All those cars, every one of them, looks exactly like a Buick. Are they blind?!? Sheesh.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Shaq dancing might be the current leader.

royalblue
03-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Shaq was not a better college player than # 32 but he's making a bid as a better dancer:)

SCMatt33
03-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Shaq dancing might be the current leader.

I agree with with Laettner's assessment. Impressive.

Edouble
03-21-2015, 02:20 AM

You mean Shaq's slipper?

uh_no
03-21-2015, 02:29 AM
partial to the one with "die forelle" as the accompaniment.

love me some classical music.

don't know what the product was.

TNDukeFan
03-21-2015, 06:45 AM
You mean Shaq's slipper?

Yes, sorry. I was mesmerized by Charles's halftime bracket update when I wrote that.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Yes, sorry. I was mesmerized by Charles's halftime bracket update when I wrote that.

#hashmere

plimnko
03-21-2015, 06:49 PM
i'm not sure if it qualifies as a "march madness" commercial, but i'm really liking the jabari parker commercial for gatorade.

NSDukeFan
03-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Any chance there's another Fast and Furious movie coming out? (Not sure if these are local commercials or not, but I have seen oodles of them.)

captmojo
03-22-2015, 10:56 AM
I'll just mention the Geico, picture-sending, free-range chicken on the loose.

It's got nothing to do with basketball, or madness, or March, or AT&T, or insurance. It's just a man, his wife(I assume) and a bird.

Danke Shane
03-22-2015, 11:48 AM
I want to know who gave the green light on the irritating music in the background of the Buick commercials. It sounds like something from a bad 1991 Super Nintendo game, just a repetitive single poorly synth'd horn over and over and over. Ahhhhh!

OldPhiKap
03-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Must admit, I laughed at the NAPA know-how commercial putting in the pool and hot tub.

And I know, that probably doesn't speak well for me.

Tripping William
03-22-2015, 01:05 PM
You mean Shaq's slipper?

I thought it was the slipper Barles Charkley picked up in The Annapolis.

dbcooper
03-22-2015, 01:16 PM
I love the Gatorade Commercial with Jabari. Shows him playing at Simeon High School, Duke University, Getting Drafted in the NBA, and playing for the Milwaukee Bucks.

Class Act - So glad he went to Duke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9ftHL7oRg

DB ---E

rthomas
03-22-2015, 01:23 PM
All of these commercials are cute the first hundred times you see them.

mgtr
03-22-2015, 02:37 PM
In the Laettner commercial, who is the fellow with the glasses? The others are quite recognizable.

Tripping William
03-22-2015, 02:42 PM
In the Laettner commercial, who is the fellow with the glasses? The others are quite recognizable.

Clyde Drexler, bracket-curler extraordinaire.

OldPhiKap
03-22-2015, 02:44 PM

Not sure which one of the commercials, but I think you are referring to Clyde The Glide

mgtr
03-22-2015, 03:54 PM
OK, thanks for the info. Still looks smooth.

Kdogg
03-22-2015, 04:11 PM

Phi Slama Jama alum Clyde "the Glide" Drexler. He was a member of the Final Four teams that lost to UNC in 82 and NC State in 83. All time NBA great. He was the reason Portland passed on Michael Jordon in the NBA draft. (They already had a good starting two guard.)

dukechem
03-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Anybody see the Nationwide ad with the woman saying "There are worse things than having an attractive woman touch your body." With all the concern about sexual harassment these days, I can't believe that this will go unnoticed. Can you imagine the outcry if the sexes were reversed?

NancyCarol
03-22-2015, 10:56 PM
As a woman, I did notice it and it was just part of what was wrong with that commercial being offensive. Much has been said about that person Mindy being "fat" or "unattractive" or "underrated" in the media, so the whole insensitive mess was based on that. Clearly no awareness in the brainstorming session that came up with that. The commercial I REALLY can't stand is the one with Salt and Peppah "push push". It's like nails on a chalk board. Just reread my post and must apologize for the number of times I used "that", I'm tired and writing sloppily.

SCMatt33
03-22-2015, 10:57 PM
Anybody see the Nationwide ad with the woman saying "There are worse things than having an attractive woman touch your body." With all the concern about sexual harassment these days, I can't believe that this will go unnoticed. Can you imagine the outcry if the sexes were reversed?

That's Mindy Kaling, an actress known for her roles on The Office and The Mindy Project. I'm not really familiar with either show, but I think that commercial is playing to her character type from her TV shows. Can someone familiar with the shows confirm or correct.

bedeviled
03-22-2015, 11:02 PM
It is Mindy. It looks like a shortened cut from a longer commercial - she did a "Mindy always thought she was invisibile because that's the way her insurance company treated her" Nationwide commercial for the Superbowl. I'm not sure if this cut is from the real commercial or from the outtakes which also aired on tv.

EDIT: It's part of the extended commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdQhA_u60Js)

Reilly
03-23-2015, 01:52 AM
Not sure which one of the commercials, but I think you are referring to Clyde The Glide

Before there was Clyde the Glide Drexler there was Clyde the Glide Austin ... I thought NCSU's Austin was older (so had the nickname first) and just Googled to confirm and learned that NCSU's Clyde is in prison:

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2004/jun/18/clyde-the-glide-receives-17-years/

subzero02
03-23-2015, 03:01 AM
Phi Slama Jama alum Clyde "the Glide" Drexler. He was a member of the Final Four teams that lost to UNC in 82 and NC State in 83. All time NBA great. He was the reason Portland passed on Michael Jordon in the NBA draft. (They already had a good starting two guard.)

I can't blame them...

Michael Jordan > Sam Bowie > Michael Jordon

porkpa
03-23-2015, 06:06 AM
If I wasn't a Duke fan and I didn't like Laettner, I could understand people not liking him. In these commercials he comes across as being arrogant, pompous and so condescending. Maybe that is their intent.

Karl Beem
03-23-2015, 07:07 AM
If I wasn't a Duke fan and I didn't like Laettner, I could understand people not liking him. In these commercials he comes across as being arrogant, pompous and so condescending. Maybe that is their intent.

Interesting...

COCO
03-23-2015, 07:27 AM
I may be noticing them because I am an old lady but ... has anyone else observed how popular snippy old ladies are in the car ads? I like the Passat one where in the end they are arguing about how to pronounce Passat. And then there is the one with the old lady in the backseat making up stories about her childhood and backseat driving. I am not sure I understand our sudden popularity.

As far at the AT&T ads, I am sure the intent is to make Christian appear pompous. They are playing on the "I Hate" theme. I think Christian does a very good job.

jv001
03-23-2015, 07:57 AM

"Impressive". GoDuke!

DevilWearsPrada
03-23-2015, 08:31 AM
My favorite Commercials are Christian Laettner "Resting on the Laurels" in the hammock!

And also Christian saying "Impressive" to Shaq's Dancing !!!!!!!!!!!

But the Spike Lee directed commercials with Spike Lee, Charles Barkley and Samuel L Jackson are all hilarious!!!

Charles Barkley driving to Annapolis in The Maryland instead of to the Final Four in Indianapolis in The Indiana..... is the best!!!

Jabari's commercial is awesome!!!

jv001
03-23-2015, 08:38 AM
I like the commercial where Charles says lets do the wish game and he rattles off several wishes. He wishes for bigger pizzas, wishes he didn't have to wear pants and then a few more. He ends his wish list with " I wish I could live with you guys. Then either Spike or Samuel says, "you'd have to wear pants". I can't help but like Charles. GoDuke!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Before there was Clyde the Glide Drexler there was Clyde the Glide Austin ... I thought NCSU's Austin was older (so had the nickname first) and just Googled to confirm and learned that NCSU's Clyde is in prison:

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2004/jun/18/clyde-the-glide-receives-17-years/
First? Hardly. Clyde the Glide Walt Frazier, NY Knicks guard extrodinaire, had it in the late 60's and early 70's, and I doubt he was first. And he wasn't even named Clyde!

Reilly
03-23-2015, 09:27 AM
First? Hardly. Clyde the Glide Walt Frazier, NY Knicks guard extrodinaire, had it in the late 60's and early 70's, and I doubt he was first. And he wasn't even named Clyde!

Frazier apparently got the name Clyde from the Bonnie & Clyde movie:

http://www.nba.com/history/players/frazier_bio.html

DukeUsul
03-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Eminence Front....... Eminence Front....... Eminence Front.......

Almost makes me want to buy a GMC. Almost.

captmojo
03-23-2015, 10:21 AM

That's just a 'put-on'. I had to do it. :D

OldPhiKap
03-23-2015, 10:27 AM

That's just a 'put-on'. I had to do it. :D

love The Who, love the song. But isn't a song about false and haughty pretenses kind of a bad association?

rsvman
03-23-2015, 11:23 AM
I want to know who gave the green light on the irritating music in the background of the Buick commercials. It sounds like something from a bad 1991 Super Nintendo game, just a repetitive single poorly synth'd horn over and over and over. Ahhhhh!

This × 1,000,000.

JStuart
03-23-2015, 08:38 PM
partial to the one with "die forelle" as the accompaniment.

love me some classical music.

don't know what the product was.
Don't you think it was a bit 'fishy' that they used Schubert for a deodorant ad?

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-23-2015, 09:10 PM

Just like the 30 for 30 film. That's how he played; that's part of what him so great. That's also what many folks think of Duke basketball.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-23-2015, 10:09 PM
Frazier apparently got the name Clyde from the Bonnie & Clyde movie:

http://www.nba.com/history/players/frazier_bio.html
Great link! Thanks! I remember listening to the "Willis Reed" game on the radio as a kid. Frazier was, indeed, magnificent that night!

Reilly
03-23-2015, 10:19 PM
Great link! Thanks! I remember listening to the "Willis Reed" game on the radio as a kid. Frazier was, indeed, magnificent that night!

Spike Lee was in studio this weekend during the games and said he was at the Willis Reed game. I believe I've heard Seth Greenberg say he was at that game, too. it might be like Don Larsen's perfect game, where 150,000 claim to have been there (my uncle was at Larsen's, however ... seriously).

uh_no
03-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Don't you think it was a bit 'fishy' that they used Schubert for a deodorant ad?

smelled of trout :)

Edouble
03-24-2015, 02:46 AM
My favorite Commercials are Christian Laettner "Resting on the Laurels" in the hammock!

And also Christian saying "Impressive" to Shaq's Dancing !!!!!!!!!!!

But the Spike Lee directed commercials with Spike Lee, Charles Barkley and Samuel L Jackson are all hilarious!!!

Charles Barkley driving to Annapolis in The Maryland instead of to the Final Four in Indianapolis in The Indiana..... is the best!!!

Jabari's commercial is awesome!!!

It seems like you're missing the joke. Charles thinks the Final Four is "In the Annapolis" (say it out loud, it comes out sounding like Indianapolis). When Spike and Sam catch on, they start making fun and putting "The" in front of everything: The Maryland, The Indiana, etc.

duke79
03-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Am I the only one who finds those BMW commercials with the cranky, nutty grandmother in the rear seat to be both inane and annoying. As soon as they come on, I immediately switch to another channel to avoid having to watch them. I don't understand how they might induce anyone to consider buying a BMW? Not to be overly cranky, but I have found many of the commercials this year to be unusually lame (and the lamest seem to be repeated over and over, no matter what game you happen to be watching)

weezie
03-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Am I the only one who finds those BMW commercials with the cranky, nutty grandmother in the rear seat to be both inane and annoying.

No, you are not the only one. BMW's ad agency must be on some in-house not-funny drug.

But, Lowe's with the guy trying to fold a fitted sheet and the other guy wearing a fedora, "Hey! Fedora Twins!!!", now those are funny.

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Am I the only one who finds those BMW commercials with the cranky, nutty grandmother in the rear seat to be both inane and annoying. As soon as they come on, I immediately switch to another channel to avoid having to watch them. I don't understand how they might induce anyone to consider buying a BMW? Not to be overly cranky, but I have found many of the commercials this year to be unusually lame (and the lamest seem to be repeated over and over, no matter what game you happen to be watching)

I think the BMW commercials are very witty. But they certainly won't get me interested in buying a BMW.

Clay Feet POF
03-24-2015, 07:23 PM
No, you are not the only one. BMW's ad agency must be on some in-house not-funny drug.

But, Lowe's with the guy trying to fold a fitted sheet and the other guy wearing a fedora, "Hey! Fedora Twins!!!", now those are funny.

Plus Tax

captmojo
03-25-2015, 08:59 AM
But, Lowe's with the guy trying to fold a fitted sheet...

But, the copy ends with some very unrealistic writing, I assume for family viewing. :D

weezie
03-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Fruit of the Loom Plastic Pants not bad....

TNDukeFan
03-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Dickie V NBA spots.

Edouble
03-28-2015, 03:45 AM
Fruit of the Loom Plastic Pants not bad....

Makes no sense. Plastic would not interact with the boxer briefs the way that fabric/denim/cotton would. Just sayin'.

The song brings me back to my Duke days though. :o

CrazyNotCrazie
03-28-2015, 11:24 AM
I enjoyed (and identified with) the fitted sheet ad. I also hate to admit I like the Southwest ad with the woman dancing at all of the weddings - I think there was a similar one last year.

TruBlu
03-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Do only bad drivers buy the cars with the automatic braking, lane warning sensors, back up cameras, automatic parking, etc.

or,

does all those devices turn everyone into a bad driver.

OldPhiKap
03-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Do only bad drivers buy the cars with the automatic braking, lane warning sensors, back up cameras, automatic parking, etc.

or,

does all those devices turn everyone into a bad driver.

I'm a big fan of blind spot monitors. Everything else, not so much.

Utley
03-28-2015, 12:09 PM
I am digging the free range chicken ads. Love the looks he gives the breakfast eggs in the diner.

captmojo
03-28-2015, 12:31 PM
I am digging the free range chicken ads. Love the looks he gives the breakfast eggs in the diner.

You, me and Barles.

TNDukeFan
03-28-2015, 01:36 PM
I like the Southwest ad with the woman dancing at all of the weddings - I think there was a similar one last year.

I realized all my comments re commercials have been negative - so yes, I like this one too.
I'm watching on my laptop so I get a lot of repetition.

rthomas
03-28-2015, 04:06 PM
I liked this one, probably because I have only seen it once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fALejDYLUs

Conan with Ernie, Kenny and Charles

Newton_14
03-28-2015, 07:40 PM
He just keeps sending pictures...

Hilarious!

Just saw a new one where Shaq is on the couch as a patient of Dr J, getting therapy for depression caused by his bracket being busted. That was great as well.

Edouble
03-28-2015, 08:14 PM
ALL commercials suck.

Mute your television and play The Clash at high volume during game breaks.

Utley
03-28-2015, 08:18 PM
I don't love the one where Shaquille breaks the table but the end is funny when Laettner goes the dip on the floor

uh_no
03-28-2015, 08:20 PM
ALL commercials suck.

still better than the crap they had at halftime during home games this year.

Newton_14
03-28-2015, 08:26 PM
That ain't even fair man. Bring the rain Sam Dekker.

Utley
03-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Where does the chicken keep his phone?

OldPhiKap
03-28-2015, 09:10 PM
ALL commercials suck.

Plato the Greek,
Or Rin-Tin-Tin.
Who's more famous to the billion millions?

uh_no
03-28-2015, 09:11 PM
apparently charles barkely says the final four should be moved from indianapolis because of the new law...

I wonder if his real motive is to save face and have it moved to anapolis.

Henderson
03-28-2015, 09:45 PM
The Spike Lee ads are terrific. The Nationwide ad with Mindy Kaling seems pointless and vaguely offensive in a 'who cares?' sort of way. Love the Laettner ads. The free range chicken commercial is very clever. Interesting how little any of the ads have to do with the products being advertised.

I think Geico kind of swiped the chicken ad from Reebok. In fact, they might have used the same chicken: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dYcvnzNllFY

"Two different states, man." Bwaaaahaaa.

weezie
03-28-2015, 10:04 PM
...Plastic would not interact with the boxer briefs the way that fabric/denim/cotton would. Just sayin'.
:o

Am I to conclude that you have in fact tested this theory of yours?!:p

wsb3
03-28-2015, 11:16 PM
How about an old one? I loved these..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHDRj_9cac

Edouble
03-29-2015, 12:24 AM
As long as we're going throwback... this is me in the blue Duke shirt, walking from screen right at the 0:04 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dZHcHrzx0

Henderson
03-29-2015, 12:35 AM
And there's this classic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUwnC3LyPCE

captmojo
03-29-2015, 10:24 AM
There is another that features Conan talking his picks concerning Duke with smith, Gumbel, Kellogg and Barles.
I can't locate it anywhere to share.
Phunnie.

Henderson
03-29-2015, 10:28 AM
As long as we're going throwback... this is me in the blue Duke shirt, walking from screen right at the 0:04 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dZHcHrzx0

Actually very cool that you got a cameo. I do hope it wasn't the hygiene in your tent that brought out the haz-mat crew. ;);)

OldPhiKap
03-29-2015, 03:00 PM
Strong dunk from the big man.

aimo
03-30-2015, 10:22 AM
love The Who, love the song. But isn't a song about false and haughty pretenses kind of a bad association?

Still trying to figure out why Coke is using a song about nuclear war (99 Red Balloons).

aimo
03-30-2015, 10:24 AM

Except they (and you) keep referring to it as HE, when it is obviously a hen, not a rooster. Jeez!

captmojo
03-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Except they (and you) keep referring to it as HE, when it is obviously a hen, not a rooster. Jeez!

Chickens is de new monkeys.

Coke is the real thing, I guess. Maybe the nukes will be obsolete before Coke....Nah!

Henderson
03-30-2015, 10:28 AM

It's 2015. I think America is ready for a transgender chicken.

duke79
03-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Frankly, I'm hoping that ALL of the advertisers have a new batch of commercials ready for the Final Four (wishful thinking, I know). I'm already sick of ALL of the commercials. I mean, how many times can you watch those Buick commercials (and no, I'm not rushing out to buy a Buick just because no one thinks it really is a Buick). I'm sick of the AT&T commercials - I just think about how much weight Shaq has put on. Clever chicken or not, I'm not switching my car insurance to Geico.

I'm tempted to tape the games on the DVR and start watching an hour or so late, just so I can FF through the commercials. Not sure I have the patience to do that though.

hudlow
03-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Am I to conclude that you have in fact tested this theory of yours?!:p

....with the same music?

captmojo
03-30-2015, 10:38 AM
I just want to see whoever is responsible for chicken toenail-painting. :D

Indoor66
03-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Chickens is de new monkeys.

Coke is the real thing, I guess. Maybe the nukes will be obsolete before Coke....Nah!

Coke and cockroaches - around forever.

Danke Shane
03-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Frankly, I'm hoping that ALL of the advertisers have a new batch of commercials ready for the Final Four (wishful thinking, I know). I'm already sick of ALL of the commercials. I mean, how many times can you watch those Buick commercials (and no, I'm not rushing out to buy a Buick just because no one thinks it really is a Buick). I'm sick of the AT&T commercials - I just think about how much weight Shaq has put on. Clever chicken or not, I'm not switching my car insurance to Geico.

I'm tempted to tape the games on the DVR and start watching an hour or so late, just so I can FF through the commercials. Not sure I have the patience to do that though.

When the Buick commercial comes on now, I recite the dialogue about a second before it happens just to annoy my girlfriend.

"Your Buick has wi-fi???? Seriously. So I can update my blog now? whooooooooooa. The name's Johnson, sir. You have a blog??"

OldPhiKap
03-30-2015, 11:37 AM
It's 2015. I think America is ready for a transgender chicken.

After all, "it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken."

El_Diablo
03-30-2015, 11:46 AM
I like the commercial where Charles says lets do the wish game and he rattles off several wishes. He wishes for bigger pizzas, wishes he didn't have to wear pants and then a few more. He ends his wish list with " I wish I could live with you guys. Then either Spike or Samuel says, "you'd have to wear pants". I can't help but like Charles. GoDuke!

"I wish pandas were real."

El_Diablo
03-30-2015, 11:50 AM
This classic March Madness commercial is one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSnzrPjQrg

Henderson
03-30-2015, 01:09 PM

I feel your pain.

I've been catching the interviews, pressers, highlights, and previews on GoDuke.com, which are generally terrific. But each clip starts with the same 15 second ad featuring Clyde Drexler doing bracket curls. Same ad. Over and over and over, and you can't "click to skip" them.

I've seen Clyde do so many bracket curls that I worry people might wonder about the over-development of his right arm and start to talk.

Henderson
03-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Before there was Clyde the Glide Drexler there was Clyde the Glide Austin ...

Coincidentally, Clyde "The Glide" Drexler's middle name is Austin, and he has a son named Austin.

brevity
04-09-2015, 02:17 AM
I'm Rob Lowe. And I'm banned Rob Lowe. (http://www.ew.com/directv-receives-recommendation-to-pull-rob-lowe-ads)

Cable provider Comcast questioned these assertions, and upon investigation, the Better Business Bureau National Advertising Division (NAD) found DirecTV unable to substantiate its claims of higher picture and sound quality, more sports programming or top-notch customer service. The NAD added that Lowe’s claim at the end of the ads offered a “comparative and unsupported superiority message.”

At the end of the article, we learn that DirecTV has moved away from the campaign starring the Duke Parent and onto a new campaign starring the Duke Maybe-Aunt.

captmojo
04-09-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm Rob Lowe. And I'm banned Rob Lowe. (http://www.ew.com/directv-receives-recommendation-to-pull-rob-lowe-ads)

At the end of the article, we learn that DirecTV has moved away from the campaign starring the Duke Parent and onto a new campaign starring the Duke Maybe-Aunt.

I'll miss'em more that that Buick commercial theme that I cannot shed from mind.

Wait. Dadgummit, they aren't off-air yet.

weezie
04-09-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm beginning to writhe in agony from the buick. It may be killing me!
Even the fastest mute buttons in the land can't quite catch that first horrible chord....