PDA

View Full Version : How Many Players will UNC-CH Lose This Year?

Henderson
03-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Will they return everyone and add just the inestimable Luke Maye? Or might they actually get Brandon Ingram and/or Jaylen Brown?

Leaving Ingram and Brown aside (who will likely wait to decide until after the existing college players make their intentions known), will anyone from UNC-CH leave?

None is projected as a high draft pick. So that would suggest no, they'll all return.

But I think there is more to it:

1. There are lots of pro opportunities outside the NBA, and they all pay better than college.
2. Someone might just be fed up with college and the college basketball grind -- not really enjoying it much.
3. Someone might think, "Enough with Roy and this program."
4. It's not a question so much of how your professional stock is today, but rather whether your stock will be improved by another year at UNC-CH.
5. Guys have to be asking whether giving up some pro money outweighs their love of college, the comeraderie, the quest for a banner, and the education.
6. Possible post-season ban etc. etc.

Going pro doesn't always mean the NBA. Therefore, one's draft projection isn't the only criterion in thinking about the pros of declaring.

It seems possible to me that a player or two at UNC-CH might forgo additional eligibility in favor of an income stream that may never get larger that it is right now.

dukelifer
03-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Will they return everyone and add just the inestimable Luke Maye? Or might they actually get Brandon Ingram and/or Jaylen Brown?

Leaving Ingram and Brown aside (who will likely wait to decide until after the existing college players make their intentions known), will anyone from UNC-CH leave?

None is projected as a high draft pick. So that would suggest no, they'll all return.

But I think there is more to it:

1. There are lots of pro opportunities outside the NBA, and they all pay better than college.
2. Someone might just be fed up with college and the college basketball grind -- not really enjoying it much.
3. Someone might think, "Enough with Roy and this program."
4. It's not a question so much of how your professional stock is today, but rather whether your stock will be improved by another year at UNC-CH.
5. Guys have to be asking whether giving up some pro money outweighs their love of college, the comeraderie, the quest for a banner, and the education.
6. Possible post-season ban etc. etc.

Going pro doesn't always mean the NBA. Therefore, one's draft projection isn't the only criterion in thinking about the pros of declaring.

It seems possible to me that a player or two at UNC-CH might forgo additional eligibility in favor of an income stream that may never get larger that it is right now.

If they heard about sanctions- perhaps a bunch. But they are likely not going to hear anything- until after the date to declare. So I would say 0. They have a good chance to win it all- assuming no ban next year.

jv001
03-20-2015, 01:28 PM
I don't think the Cheats have any players ready for the NBA at this time. So, that leaves overseas or transfers. My guess they only lose Simmons who I believe is a senior. Not a big loss. With the academic scandal hanging over chapel hell, I could see a transfer or two. GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
03-20-2015, 01:40 PM
They lose Desmond Hubert -- who was lost at midseason this year (and wasn't playing anyway)

They lose Jackson Simmons

Everybody else can come back -- will they?

The gossip I hear is that Brice Johnson MAY test the NBA waters, but he's the only one (and he's not likely).

No important transfers ... maybe a fringe player.

But I also think it's VERY unlikely UNC gets a significant recruit -- certainly not Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram.

duke09hms
03-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately, UNC will be title contenders next year. Hopefully, Brice Johnson will go.

Duvall
03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately, UNC will be title contenders next year. Hopefully, Brice Johnson will go.

Why are we talking about about UNC next year? Virginia is probably going to bring back more talent from a far superior team.

duke09hms
03-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Why are we talking about about UNC next year? Virginia is probably going to bring back more talent from a far superior team.

1. UNC's talent arguably has a higher ceiling, and senior leadership and an additional year of experience will treat their biggest weakness.

2. Duke fans generally don't mind UVA success, but strong UNC teams in the tournament make us sad and certain sphincters begin to look like *

Duvall
03-20-2015, 02:20 PM
1. UNC's talent arguably has a higher ceiling, and senior leadership and an additional year of experience will treat their biggest weakness.

Based on what, recruiting rankings? Actual basketball has shown Virginia to have the better talent, with room to improve. And UNC starts three juniors now, plenty of experiences for today's game.

CDu
03-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Based on what, recruiting rankings? Actual basketball has shown Virginia to have the better talent, with room to improve. And UNC starts three juniors now, plenty of experiences for today's game.

True, but guys like Hicks, Berry, and Jackson (3 of their most highly-recruited players) are freshmen or a sophomore. UVa has Perrantes as a soph, but most of their top players are already seasoned veterans. And they do lose Atkins (their best interior defender). I'd also note that Paige should in theory be healthier next year (plantar fasciitis and a badly sprained ankle this year). And losing Simmons and Hubert actually helps UNC a lot by forcing Williams to play Hicks, Johnson, and Meeks more minutes.

To be honest, I can see an argument for either team next year. Both should be VERY good next year. Both are reasons for concern next year.

brevity
03-20-2015, 02:35 PM
What a strange time to introduce this topic. Can't we wait for Arkansas to beat them?

No one has mentioned a factor at work here: Stockholm Syndrome. (Or as they teach it in Chapel Hill, Helsinki Syndrome (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Helsinki+syndrome).) Absent any NBA hype, these underclassmen are going to listen to what they hear on campus and follow The Carolina Way.

Newton_14
03-20-2015, 02:59 PM
What a strange time to introduce this topic. Can't we wait for Arkansas to beat them?

No one has mentioned a factor at work here: Stockholm Syndrome. (Or as they teach it in Chapel Hill, Helsinki Syndrome (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Helsinki+syndrome).) Absent any NBA hype, these underclassmen are going to listen to what they hear on campus and follow The Carolina Way.

Well given that Joel James is now likely to be the number 1 overall pick and Nate Britt has played his way into the lottery, I think it fair to go ahead and discuss it now.

hurleyfor3
03-20-2015, 07:00 PM

I see what you did there.

BD80
03-20-2015, 07:06 PM
I don't think the Cheats have any players ready for the NBA at this time. ...

Do they have college eligible players?

With all of the attention to the recent (ongoing?) academic fraud, one would suspect that current unc players are actually required to put forth some modicum of academic effort. Certainly not what they signed up for (at least those can write well enough to sign their names).

I wonder if Ramses got a degree during the period of "lowered standards"

NSDukeFan
03-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Do they have college eligible players?

With all of the attention to the recent (ongoing?) academic fraud, one would suspect that current unc players are actually required to put forth some modicum of academic effort. Certainly not what they signed up for (at least those can write well enough to sign their names).

I wonder if Ramses got a degree during the period of "lowered standards"

I believe that's Dr. Ramses.

Henderson
03-26-2015, 10:01 PM
So what's the over-under on how many holes they'll have to fill now that they are out of the tourney and kids can focus on what's important? Aside from academics, of course, which is a given.

I say they lose at least one to early entry.

No fair just judging by a player's NBA draft potential. It's a big world out there.

lotusland
03-26-2015, 10:09 PM
So what's the over-under on how many holes they'll have to fill now that they are out of the tourney and kids can focus on what's important? Aside from academics, of course, which is a given.

No fair just judging by a player's NBA draft potential. It's a big world out there.

Good one

CDu
03-26-2015, 10:27 PM

I still think they will lose no more than one non-senior. I think Paige comes back. Jackson is the guy to watch, in my opinion.

jipops
03-26-2015, 11:19 PM
I still think they will lose no more than one non-senior. I think Paige comes back. Jackson is the guy to watch, in my opinion.

I'm quite sure Jackson will be back. He'll garner draft discussion after next season. The heels will have their rotation intact next season and should be one of the title favorites if not the favorite. That is, unless the ncaa decides to come down on them.

_Gary
03-26-2015, 11:22 PM
Hopefully none. I'm encouraging every single one of them to either declare for the NBA draft, go to Europe to play, or transfer. I have too much compassion inside me to even bear the thought of these young men not learning to read and write for another year. They are owed at least that much, so my fingers are crossed that they all move on so they can at least learn those basics of life. :p

Newton_14
03-26-2015, 11:41 PM

I don't think they lose anyone actually. Paige and Jackson aren't going anywhere and none of the others have a choice. They have no good players coming in either. Hopefully it will not matter how good or bad they are next year and the NCAA drops the hammer and bans them from the tourney. No way they take the high road like Syracuse did and self-impose, though they should.

But they won't lose a single player beyond the non-impact Seniors that are graduating.

CameronBlue
03-26-2015, 11:48 PM
2. Duke fans generally don't mind UVA success, but strong UNC teams in the tournament make us sad and certain sphincters begin to look like *

"*"?? Is that a selfie?

BD80
03-26-2015, 11:58 PM
"*"?? Is that a selfie?

Vonnegut's selfie. BOC

OldPhiKap
03-27-2015, 12:03 AM
Roy's headed for the beach. Are we counting him in this?

Duke95
03-27-2015, 12:07 AM
UNC will be very strong next year. Same with UVa.

Lot left to be decided for us.

NYBri
03-27-2015, 12:10 AM
We, on the other hand may lose 4 of our starting 5, but I want to enjoy this ride while I can

Frankly, I don't give a rat's butt about the cheaters and who they may or may not have back until we beat them next year...at least twice.

Nine eff.

sagegrouse
03-27-2015, 12:10 AM
I really can't understand this fascination with a moderately good ACC team. Who cares what happens to them?

Duke95
03-27-2015, 12:15 AM
I really can't understand this fascination with a moderately good ACC team. Who cares what happens to them?

If you can't understand why Duke fans would be interested in the fate of our biggest rival, I'm not sure what anyone can do to help.

NYBri
03-27-2015, 12:15 AM

Can't spork you, but, "boom!"

OldPhiKap
03-27-2015, 12:21 AM

Especially one that will have a post-season ban.

sagegrouse
03-27-2015, 12:27 AM

If you can't understand why Duke fans would be interested in the fate of our biggest rival, I'm not sure what anyone can do to help.

Can't spork you, but, "boom!"

Especially one that will have a post-season ban.

"Interested in the fate of our biggest rivals?" Yeah, but why a separate thread. All everyone wants to talk about here is Carolina. IMHO (where the H is silent), as one who doesn't live anywhere close by, it's an unhealthy preoccupation.

Also: what Old Phi Kap said.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-27-2015, 08:14 AM
I think Duke will be better than Carolina next year. I think we are in store for another fun season. Coach K is going to love coaching the group he has next year and experimenting with all kinds of new fun wrinkles over the off season that he can debut during the season. Fear not folks... also Carolina might be good next year, but they just lost and aren't alive in this tournament anymore so disaster averted for another year. Also we have a pretty good game around 9:45pm tonight that I am looking forward to.

Duke95
03-27-2015, 09:19 AM
"Interested in the fate of our biggest rivals?" Yeah, but why a separate thread. All everyone wants to talk about here is Carolina. IMHO (where the H is silent), as one who doesn't live anywhere close by, it's an unhealthy preoccupation.

I see 2 UNC threads on the front page (this one, and the one about the scandal), and one UK thread. And the fact that they might get a post season ban doesn't diminish the joy of beating them, at least not for me.

dukebluesincebirth
03-27-2015, 09:22 AM
I hope they all announce they're coming back to pursue a great chance to win a national championship......... and then get banned from the postseason for the next 4 years. Before this season started, I thought it would be Paige's last. He didn't do what I thought he would do, so he'll probably be back. In fact, I'm not sure that he'll ever have the strength and ball handling to make it in the NBA.

_Gary
03-27-2015, 11:17 AM
I was obviously drunk on NyQuil last night when I wrote "none" in my first post. Should have been "all" and it might have made more sense. Duh...

Henderson
03-27-2015, 11:41 AM

Putting a lot of energy into a thread you don't care about there, my friend. I've enjoyed your uber-numerous posts about Carolina in other threads and your insights in the Kentucky obsession thread.

If only there were some mechanism for ignoring threads a person doesn't care about....

BD80
03-27-2015, 09:25 PM
If unc returns everybody, would that not discourage top recruits from committing for next year?

ol' roy "loves" his upperclassmen.

Newton_14
03-27-2015, 09:28 PM
If unc returns everybody, would that not discourage top recruits from committing for next year?

ol' roy "loves" his upperclassmen.

Top recruits ain't coming anyway. Their recruiting has taken a huge hit. Ol Roy blames "all that junk"...

TruBlu
03-27-2015, 10:53 PM
I boldly predict that unc will not lose any players due to academic ineligibility.