PDA

View Full Version : WBB: NCAA First Round - Duke 54, Albany 52

DU82
03-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Not a huge crowd in Cameron (gee, Friday at noon tipoff. What could be wrong with that?)

The Scooby Doos are packing it inside on defense early. I think Elizabeth was triple teamed on her first possession. When they have the ball, we're going to block a lot of shots. In the first four minutes we have three or four already.

15:04 for the first TV TO, 7-4 Duke.

DU82
03-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Under 4 TO, 23-22 Duke.

Turnovers. Already at 13. Unforced. Albany's aggressive and packing it inside. We act like we're playing ND with the panicked approach to feeding the middle. Need to calm down and shake off the two weeks rust.

Rebecca and Amber keeping us in the game with shots. Let's settle down and play to our talent. Rebecca is taller than any of their players that have been in, Azura and Elizabeth should be dominating.

burnspbesq
03-20-2015, 12:53 PM
We're really playing badly. How badly? Points in the paint are 12-6 for Albany. We have more turnovers than field goals. Greenie's four threes kept us alive.

uh_no
03-20-2015, 01:41 PM
We're really playing badly. How badly? Points in the paint are 12-6 for Albany. We have more turnovers than field goals. Greenie's four threes kept us alive.

this is tough to watch. sloppy sloppy sloppy. a backcourt violation and stepping out of bounds on back to back possessions?

91devil
03-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Agreed, hard to watch. No energy at all on the court. Albany is getting open shots. Duke is not.

jv001
03-20-2015, 01:56 PM
This Duke team has no ball handlers and only 1 shooter. They are not very athletic as well. Not one of the best Duke teams. I'm not putting it on the coach. These players just don't execute. GoDuke!

duke09hms
03-20-2015, 02:08 PM
So who's winning?
No snark, I genuinely don't know.

RepoMan
03-20-2015, 02:09 PM
duke won by 2

uh_no
03-20-2015, 02:10 PM
So who's winning?

duke won. great shot by greenwell.

jv001
So who's winning?

Duke won on a Greenwell 3 and Stevens free throw. Duke had 27 turnovers and was lucky to win this one. GoDuke!

summerwind03
Looks like they pulled that one out of their.... Must have been unpleasant to watch.

Ah well. Survive and advance.

Duvall
So who's winning?

Duke won, 54-52, on the strength of a long Greenwell 3-pointer late.

SCMatt33
03-20-2015, 02:11 PM
This Duke team has no ball handlers and only 1 shooter. They are not very athletic as well. Not one of the best Duke teams. I'm not putting it on the coach. These players just don't execute. GoDuke!

I think that is a lot on the coaching. Turnovers and basic errors shouldn't happen at home at this time of year. If the players are the problem, then it's on recruiting. Now, they have had to deal with an insane amount of injuries over the last few years, so that is very important to remember, but you have to give the coaches credit for drawing up that last play to agree well, and apparently having Williams miss the second free throw in purpose knowing they had the arrow (according to coach P in the post game interview).

burnspbesq
03-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Brutal. Burn the tape and move on.

dukelifer
03-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Duke won, 54-52, on the strength of a long Greenwell 3-pointer late.

JJ-like. Well designed and executed. She was the only reason Duke won. E-Will almost went out on a very bad game for her.

Mike Corey
03-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Survive and advance.

Good luck in the Round of 32, Blue Devils!

jv001
03-20-2015, 02:18 PM
I think that is a lot on the coaching. Turnovers and basic errors shouldn't happen at home at this time of year. If the players are the problem, then it's on recruiting. Now, they have had to deal with an insane amount of injuries over the last few years, so that is very important to remember, but you have to give the coaches credit for drawing up that last play to agree well, and apparently having Williams miss the second free throw in purpose knowing they had the arrow (according to coach P in the post game interview).

Injuries and transfers took away our ball handlers. As for athletic players, that is on recruiting. However I believe Stevens and Greenwell are going to be very good. In Stevens case, probably a great player in the making. GoDuke!

dudog84
03-20-2015, 02:26 PM
re Coach P post-game comment: Thank God for Becca Greenwell.

Indeed!

DU82
03-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Looks like they pulled that one out of their.... Must have been unpleasant to watch.

Ah well. Survive and advance.

K, that's one way to put it, out of our (wanker)

Newton_14
03-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Survive and advance.

Good luck in the Round of 32, Blue Devils!

You beat me to it Mike. Survive and Advance is the goal in March. No extra points for prettiness. Just win. Sometimes surviving an ugly game like this will springboard a team forward. We will see for this team.

dudog84
03-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Becca now has the freshman game record for 3s. Also moved into a tie for third for season 3s (she blew away the freshman record many games ago).

Was thinking Azura had a sub-par game, but she ends up with 11 points and 9 rebounds. She makes it look easy. But I'd still like to see more aggression from her.

Poor scoring game for Elizabeth, but 9 blocks was nice.

7-15 from the line. If the ladies make their free throws, this is a much different game. I at least would have less grey hair.

I wish they had shown Coach P when the team didn't box out on the missed free throw by Albany (that they then laid in). I wonder if her head was about to explode. :)

duke79
03-20-2015, 03:13 PM
VERY lucky to pull this one out. I watched the last four minutes or so of the game while eating lunch. Albany had the game won and, frankly, probably SHOULD have won the game (from what I could see). U of A missed two very makeable shots in the last minute or so that would have won it for them. Let's hope Duke plays better going forward!!

jimsumner
03-20-2015, 03:27 PM
I watched the second half from the media room at TWC arena.

Not an aesthetic masterpiece.

Turnovers have plagued this team all season. Duke has recruited athletic players. But since the beginning of the promising 2013-2014 season, five players used up their eligibility last season, three athletic players have transferred (two point guards) and two players on this year's team have been lost to injury. So, you've got a patch-work team, eight recruited players, mostly underclassmen, one 3-point shooter and not a single natural point guard.

So, it's been an adventure.

burnspbesq
03-20-2015, 03:45 PM
I watched the second half from the media room at TWC arena.

Not an aesthetic masterpiece.

Turnovers have plagued this team all season. Duke has recruited athletic players. But since the beginning of the promising 2013-2014 season, five players used up their eligibility last season, three athletic players have transferred (two point guards) and two players on this year's team have been lost to injury. So, you've got a patch-work team, eight recruited players, mostly underclassmen, one 3-point shooter and not a single natural point guard.

So, it's been an adventure.

Yeah, an "adventure." Nice choice of euphemisms, Jim.

Hopefully this was the clunker and it's now out of our system. I thought we played really tentatively, and lacked aggressiveness.

Atldukie79
03-20-2015, 04:16 PM
This team has height, but no handle.

Becca is an outstanding shooter. No other really strong shooter.
I don't see much slashing to the hole. Our lateral quickness on defense is questionable.

Per Jim's comment above, the departures have made meshing this team a challenge.
I like the kids. Collectively, though, we are missing some skillsets.

heyman25
03-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Next year 2 great guards were recruited one from Spain and the other from Texas. That should cut down on the careless turnovers.

aswewere
03-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Here is the post game presser. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209973193&DB_OEM_ID=4200

With all the guards coming lets hope our offense gets TOTALY reworked or you will repeat today.

heyman25
03-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Angela Salvadores
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203377/angela-salvadores

Kyra Lambert
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/143407/kyra-lambert

jimsumner
03-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Angela Salvadores
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203377/angela-salvadores

Kyra Lambert
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/143407/kyra-lambert

Duke signed five players last fall and they are all perimeter players. Haley Gorecki was named Illinois Player of the Year. I hear she's a keeper.

burnspbesq
03-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Duke signed five players last fall and they are all perimeter players. Haley Gorecki was named Illinois Player of the Year. I hear she's a keeper.

Watching Salvadores play in the Spanish pro league has been an eye-opener. Putting 40 on the USA in the championship game of the last U-17 world championship was not a fluke, and it might not even be an outlier.

aswewere
03-20-2015, 06:58 PM

Haley is the lowest rated of the 5 but come March of 2019 she probably will be the MVP of this
outstanding class.

dukelifer
03-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Yeah, an "adventure." Nice choice of euphemisms, Jim.

Hopefully this was the clunker and it's now out of our system. I thought we played really tentatively, and lacked aggressiveness.

The huge layoff for the women is not always good. They showed a ton of rust. E Will is usually better and suspect she will play better next game.

DU82
03-20-2015, 08:05 PM
The huge layoff for the women is not always good. They showed a ton of rust. E Will is usually better and suspect she will play better next game.

I hope so, but much of her frustrations were the Danes collapsing their zone and essentially triple teaming her. Nobody really helped. I thought Azura needed to be more agressive and post inside. She had 11" on her defender.

Glad Rebecca came to play. They covered her tightly in the second half and denied her the ball. In the winning shot, they ran a play specifically for that shot, and she came through.

I bolted out of Cameron for Charlotte, so didn't see Miss. State. Anybody stay for the second game and have a scouting report?

stillcrazie
03-20-2015, 09:24 PM
I feel like EWill deserved to be on a better team her senior year.

bluedevilsince72
03-20-2015, 10:40 PM
If Ewill could finish some shots inside and develop a goto post move vs good teams, she would have had a much better senior year.

Leelee902
03-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Per scouting report of MSU -- I worked these games and I can tell you I was not going to be a happy worker come Sunday if Duke hadn't pulled this one out. But helping run the second game it looks like we may have our hands full on Sunday as well. They have one very small, but quick pg and other ball handlers that I am sure can give us TO fits similar to much of the season. They have some height, but what stood out is a lot of strength. The other guys at the scorer's table and I were talking about the muscles on every player for Miss St! Now they did have an ugly game going most of the day vs Tulane, but really tightened their D up in the second part of the second half and took control. Even though Tulane pulled within 10 in the last few minutes they appeared to have this one as they just wore them down. I think this is a winnable game, but something has got to get going on offense. MSU didn't seem to play a ton of zone, so E Will should be able to do more work down low, too.

Per the game today -- It has been hard to watch this team on offense without any real ball handlers this year. No motion at all and when we do try we turn it over far too often. We stand around the 3 pt line and pass it around, run a play for Azura to make something happen from the top of the key, or pass it to E Will who will surely be double teamed. That appears to be the offense mostly. But what else can you do with only forwards and centers??? Riggs can help some, but she isn't quite quick or talented enough to lead the team. However, the defense has been stout most of the year. Just having to win many games in the muck-it-out-like fashion until help arrives next year. Hate it for E Will and KJ, but maybe this team can pull together a few more wins this year to send them and Jenna out on a high note.

Also, maybe Azura could work on her vertical leap over the off season and give us some slams next year!

stillcrazie
03-20-2015, 11:30 PM
If Ewill could finish some shots inside and develop a goto post move vs good teams, she would have had a much better senior year.

She thrived with a high-level point guard like Chelsea Gray who was able to find her in the post. I hold her in high esteem as a player and she appears to be a very solid person.

dudog84
03-20-2015, 11:52 PM
I feel like EWill deserved to be on a better team her senior year.

Just what the heck does this mean? Tell that to our team working their butts off.

dudog84
03-20-2015, 11:56 PM
She thrived with a high-level point guard like Chelsea Gray who was able to find her in the post. I hold her in high esteem as a player and she appears to be a very solid person.

Oh...because she scored 14.0 ppg as a freshman.

15.2 as a sophomore.

13.8 as a junior.

And 14.7 this year.

Yeah, the team is really letting her down.