PDA

View Full Version : Phase VII 2014-15, NCAA Tournament

Kedsy
03-18-2015, 03:24 PM
Mark is not feeling well, so he asked me to come off the bench and write the next Phase post. I'm not sure if this Phase is just the first two NCAA tournament games or if we'll use the same thread and come back before each two-game "mini-tournament" (assuming Duke is still playing), but either way, here we go:

(1) Will Duke stay healthy?

Of course, health is always first in every Phase post, but this year, it's even more important than most. With only eight scholarship players, we won't be able to afford any injuries from here on in. If you add in that five our eight guys are recovering from sprained ankles, and Justise (shoulder, ribs) and Tyus (tailbone/back spasms) have both appeared to suffer injuries in the not-too-distant past, well then personally I'll be holding my breath every time a Duke player falls down or steps funny. Hopefully we can keep our health for the next three weeks.

(2) Is Duke's defense a fatal flaw?

According to Pomeroy, going into the Tournament, Duke's offense is the 3rd best in the nation, but its defense is #56. Questions have arisen as to whether a team with a sub-50 defense can succeed in the Big Dance.

Interestingly enough, going back to 2009 Duke is the first team to have a top 20 offense and sub-40 defense to claim a #1 seed (using pre-Tournament Pomeroy numbers). So there's no direct comparison, but there are some indirect comparisons we can draw.

First, looking at all teams with top 20 offenses and sub-40 defenses over the last six seasons, there have been 55 NCAA tournament teams that have met those requirements. Of those, 12 have exceeded their seed-expectations, 16 have failed to reach their seed-expectations, and 27 have gone exactly as far as their seed would have predicted. I've looked at eight subsets of this data, and put them into the following table:

Subset Exceeded SE Failed to reach SE Exactly met SE
--------------------------------- ------------ ------------------ ---------------
Top 20 off; sub-40 def 12 16 27
Top 10 off; sub-40 def 8 10 12
Top 10 off; sub-50 def 8 8 9
Top 5 off; sub-50 def 4 5 6
Top 20 off; sub-40 def, Top 4 seed 4 8 7
Top 10 off; sub-40 def, Top 4 seed 3 8 5
Top 10 off; sub-50 def, Top 4 seed 3 6 3
Top 5 off; sub-50 def, Top 4 seed 3 4 3

So, the closer we get to Duke's situation, the more it looks like it doesn't really matter. That said, here are the teams in the past six seasons who have most resembled Duke's 3/56 Pomeroy offense/defense split:

2010 Baylor (5/52), 3-seed, Elite 8 (exceeded seed-expectations);
2011 Notre Dame (3/62), 2-seed, second round (failed to meet seed-expectations);
2011 Wisconsin (2/63), 4-seed, Sweet 16 (met seed-expectation);
2012 Missouri (1/76), 2-seed, first round upset victim (failed to meet seed-expectation);
2012 Indiana (4/58), 4-seed, Sweet 16 (met seed-expectation);
2013 Michigan (2/58), 4-seed, Final 2 (exceeded seed-expectation);
2014 Wisconsin (5/59), 2-seed, Final 4 (exceeded seed-expectation);
2014 Kansas (6/45), 2-seed, second round (failed to meet seed-expectation).

And again it doesn't appear to matter, as three of the above exceeded seed-expections (two Final Fours and an Elite Eight), three failed to meet seed-expectations (a first round upset and two second-round upsets), and two met seed-expectations exactly. Duke's seed-expectation is a Final Four -- a pretty high bar -- so the good news is all of the above categories show at least an even chance of meeting or exceeding seed-expectation.

(3) What defense will Duke play?

For first time since the Earth's crust cooled, Coach K has employed zone defense on a regular basis this season. He's been mixing things up, sometimes showing his traditional man-to-man, sometimes a different man-to-man that looks suspiciously like a matchup zone, sometimes playing a 2-3 zone, and sometimes a 3-2, even on one occasion a 1-3-1, with a variety of full-court and three-quarter-court presses and traps thrown in. After Miami beat us at Cameron and the players and coaches all said afterward that they knew exactly what Duke would throw at them defensively and therefore could exploit it, I doubt many if any Duke opponents have felt that way after the game.

So what's important, picking the best defense to match the opponent, switching up various defenses in a single game, or is it simply the surprise? If opponents don't know what's coming it's that much harder to game plan. And total surprises on D have been featured in many of our big wins: Wisconsin (switching every screen instead of hedging or icing); Louisville (zone all game); Virginia (first sighting of our 3-2 zone); UNC (Quinn face-guarding Paige); and NC State in the ACC tournament (mix of three-quarter court pressure and a 1-3-1 zone).

I'm excited to see what new wrinkles Coach K might come up with in the upcoming games. Who knows, now that everyone is expecting zones, maybe he'll try 100% traditional Duke man-to-man for a game?

(4) How deep into the bench will Duke go?

We only have eight scholarship players, so we don't really have an "end of the bench" anymore. But still, the question remains how much will Marshall Plumlee and Grayson Allen play in the upcoming games? We might see them a reasonable amount in the first couple games, but traditionally Coach K tightens his rotation significantly as the Tournament progresses. In the Championship game in 2010, only five Duke players played double-figure minutes. Marshall and Grayson have been playing well of late, but my guess is this year we'll have at least six double-figure minute guys in every game, but absent injury or foul trouble, it won't be more than that.

(5) How much will Duke's youth/inexperience matter?

Duke is a very young team, but even younger when it comes to NCAA tournament experience. Only four of our players have ever played in an NCAA game, and two of those (Matt and Marshall) have combined for 8 minutes of garbage time. Amile Jefferson has played in four tournament games, but in only two did he play double-figure minutes. So on our entire roster, only Quinn Cook has actually been battle-tested in the NCAA Tournament.

Does it matter? Who knows? Last year's Kentucky team made the Final game featuring a roster that combined for a total of zero (0) minutes of NCAA tournament experience. So it clearly didn't matter to them. But it's certainly worth watching to see how Duke's young players react to the Big Pressure Cooker.

(6) Will Duke bring the intensity every game?

There's a little bit of Jekyll and Hyde in this year's Duke squad. Perhaps because of our youth, our team seems to rise to the occasion in the big games and appears sometimes to sleepwalk when faced with a perceived inferior opponent. Not only that, but Duke often seems to come out flat in the game immediately following our best efforts. Consider our worst performances of the season:

-- First NC State game (loss): came after starting the season 14-0;
-- Miami game (loss): after NC State game; only game that doesn't match the pattern (though I think we may have coasted because the players at that time believed it was impossible for them to lose in Cameron);
-- First Notre Dame game (loss): game immediately after the exhilarating comeback win over St. John's for Coach K's 1000th win;
-- Third Notre Dame game (loss): game immediately after we crushed NC State the night before (and also remembering our blowout of Notre Dame in game #2);
-- Virginia Tech game (OT win): game immediately following our beatdown of Clemson without Jahlil;
-- Florida State game (3 point win): game immediately following epic smashing of Notre Dame in rematch;
-- Elon (13 point win over terrible team): next game after big win at Wisconsin;
-- Georgia Tech (6 point win at CIS): game immediately following big win at Virginia.

So in every game except Miami, we had a letdown after a big win. Perhaps the players get a little full of themselves and forget to bring the effort? Perhaps they underestimate how hard the opponent will play to beat Duke? Whatever the reason, this aspect of the team is what frightens me most looking forward. If we manage to get to the Elite Eight, I'm not too worried about a letdown there or beyond, but in the 2nd and 3rd round I really hope Coach K figures out how to deal with this. Maybe even the first round, but I'm not really stressing about that, coming after the loss to Notre Dame.

(7) How well do our prospective opponents match up with Duke?

In the first round game, we'll either play North Florida or Robert Morris. We can only hope Duke doesn't become the first 1-seed ever to lose to a 16-seed, but if we bring our intensity, we should be safe.

Using pre-Tournament Pomeroy, North Florida is #127 in the country, with the 98th best offense and the 178th best defense. They play at a reasonably fast tempo (60th in the nation, while Duke is 103rd). They profile as similar in talent to Wake Forest or Boston College, so we should win but the Ospreys may not be a pushover.

Robert Morris is ranked #173 in pre-T Pomeroy, with the 191st ranked offense and 169th ranked defense. Their tempo is ranked 131st. They profile as similar in talent to Virginia Tech, who of course took Duke to overtime.

If we win our first game, we'll play either San Diego State or St. John's in our second game.

San Diego State is a tough team, ranked #27 in pre-T Pomeroy, with the 161st ranked offense and the 4th (!) ranked defense. They play at a glacial tempo, 334th in the nation. This is a pretty difficult matchup for an 8-seed, but I think it's a decent one for Duke. Our offense is so strong that we've still managed to score against top six defenses like Virginia and Louisville; our troubles generally happen when we can't get stops on defense. In fact, all our losses came to teams with offenses ranked much better than their defenses, so I'm much happier to face an offensively-challenged team with a great defense than I would be to face an average defensive team with great offense.

St. John's would be a rematch game, and so far we've played great in second games against teams this season. They would also be playing without suspended
center Chris Obekpa, who started and played 36 minutes against Duke on January 25. The Red Storm is ranked #42 in pre-T Pomeroy, with the 62nd ranked offense and the 51st ranked defense, and play quick, the 61st ranked tempo in the land.

(8) LET'S GO DUKE!!!

jv001
03-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Great Phase Kedsy.
I'll discuss our bench and rotation. Coach K has seemed to gain more and more confidence in Grayson. When Matt has come out cold, Coach has sent Grayson in to make some things happen on offense. Plus, Grayson has become a pretty good defender in his own right. As for MPIII, I think it comes down to Jahlil getting into foul trouble. Marshall brings intensity and can create energy. Man, if he would just hold onto the ball a little better, he would be much more of a threat on offense. Once again some great points. GoDuke!

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-18-2015, 03:55 PM
I think this will actually help Duke, it seems we play our best when the pressure is on. Take away the awful first half against ND which hopefully they learned from, all of our best performances have come in the biggest games. I expect to see a magical tourney from Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook. Hopefully they carry us in a lot of situations and Jah and Winslow pick up the slack when needed. I always feel that backcourts are the most important component to a NCAA run and we def have that.

SCMatt33
03-18-2015, 04:07 PM
So what's important for the defense? I think, very poetically, it changes as much as the defense has. Against a team with an interior attack, like SDSU, It's going to be about the execution of the man and mixing in some zone. Against a team like Utah, you'll probably see a set defense all game with Quinn trying to stick to Wright similar to how he guarded Marcus Paige. Against a balanced team like Gonzaga or Iowa State, The mixing of the defenses to throw them off balance will be key and not let them settle in.

Bob Green
03-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Great job with the Phase Post!

(5) How much will Duke's youth/inexperience matter?

Duke is a very young team, but even younger when it comes to NCAA tournament experience. Only four of our players have ever played in an NCAA game, and two of those (Matt and Marshall) have combined for 8 minutes of garbage time. Amile Jefferson has played in four tournament games, but in only two did he play double-figure minutes. So on our entire roster, only Quinn Cook has actually been battle-tested in the NCAA Tournament.

Does it matter? Who knows? Last year's Kentucky team made the Final game featuring a roster that combined for a total of zero (0) minutes of NCAA tournament experience. So it clearly didn't matter to them. But it's certainly worth watching to see how Duke's young players react to the Big Pressure Cooker.

I realize it is a cliché, but freshmen are no longer freshmen by this time of the season. This is especially true for Okafor, Tyus Jones and Winslow due to their being starters and playing major minutes all season against top notch competition. Team youth should not be an issue for Duke in the tournament.

NSDukeFan
03-18-2015, 08:38 PM
As many of us will, I will be looking for the team to be focused and energized. I think that may be more important than any surprise that may be gained from a different type of defense. I agree that surprise defensive tactics have been used in many of the team's biggest wins, but I believe the intensity the team played with was more surprising than the defensive tactic. When Duke had more veteran teams, the team could surprise their opponent just by how well they played man to man and could take teams out of their offense. Perhaps with a younger team, the staff needs to use different strategies defensively to best get the team focused defensively so they can take opponents out of their normal offense. That's my theory for now.

Kedsy
03-18-2015, 10:08 PM
Using pre-Tournament Pomeroy, North Florida is #127 in the country, with the 98th best offense and the 178th best defense. They play at a reasonably fast tempo (60th in the nation, while Duke is 103rd). They profile as similar in talent to Wake Forest or Boston College, so we should win but the Ospreys may not be a pushover.

Robert Morris is ranked #173 in pre-T Pomeroy, with the 191st ranked offense and 169th ranked defense. Their tempo is ranked 131st. They profile as similar in talent to Virginia Tech, who of course took Duke to overtime.

Looks like we got the weaker opponent. Though of course, those may be the kind of famous last words that risk angering the weuxf gods. Still, I like Duke's chances against a Virginia Tech caliber team on a neutral court.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Looks like we got the weaker opponent. Though of course, those may be the kind of famous last words that risk angering the weuxf gods. Still, I like Duke's chances against a Virginia Tech caliber team on a neutral court.
With the holes in Jacksonville, we should enjoy a relative home crowd advantage this time in Charlotte.

Edouble
03-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Great Phase Kedsy.
I'll discuss our bench and rotation. Coach K has seemed to gain more and more confidence in Grayson. When Matt has come out cold, Coach has sent Grayson in to make some things happen on offense. Plus, Grayson has become a pretty good defender in his own right. As for MPIII, I think it comes down to Jahlil getting into foul trouble. Marshall brings intensity and can create energy. Man, if he would just hold onto the ball a little better, he would be much more of a threat on offense. Once again some great points. GoDuke!

Grayson is becoming the X-factor that I thought Rasheed would be for this team. He's not as good as Rasheed, but if he can potentially score 25-30 points, you have to respect his game. Interestingly, Grayson and Rasheed both have a career high in points of 27.

I think Marshall's hands have looked much better as of late.

Neals384
03-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Lots of little things that can make or break a close game. Free throws; avoiding silly fouls; avoiding turnovers; making layups; avoiding technicals/flagrant fouls; blocking out. Did I mention free throws?

Kedsy
03-19-2015, 05:52 PM
First, looking at all teams with top 20 offenses and sub-40 defenses over the last six seasons, there have been 55 NCAA tournament teams that have met those requirements. Of those, 12 have exceeded their seed-expectations, 16 have failed to reach their seed-expectations, and 27 have gone exactly as far as their seed would have predicted. I've looked at eight subsets of this data, and put them into the following table:

--------------------------------- ------------ ------------------ ---------------
Top 20 off; sub-40 def 12 16 27
Top 10 off; sub-40 def 8 10 12
Top 10 off; sub-50 def 8 8 9
Top 5 off; sub-50 def 4 5 6
Top 20 off; sub-40 def, Top 4 seed 4 8 7
Top 10 off; sub-40 def, Top 4 seed 3 8 5
Top 10 off; sub-50 def, Top 4 seed 3 6 3
Top 5 off; sub-50 def, Top 4 seed 3 4 3

For kicks, I decided to examine teams with top 20 offenses AND top 20 defenses, to see how they compared with the top 20 offenses, sub-40 defenses analysis I did earlier, when it comes to underperforming/overperforming vs. seed expectation. Interestingly enough, the top 20/top 20 teams underperform vs. seed expectation much worse than the top 20/sub-40 teams, further reinforcing the idea that it just doesn't matter.

Here's the data:

Top 20 off; top 20 def 7 22 7
Top 10 off; top 20 def 5 11 2
Top 20 off; top 10 def 7 10 5
Top 10 off; top 10 def 5 4 2
Top 20 off; top 20 def, top 4 seed 7 18 7
Top 10 off; top 20 def, top 4 seed 5 9 2
Top 20 off; top 10 def, top 4 seed 7 9 5
Top 10 off; top 10 def, top 4 seed 5 4 2

NSDukeFan
03-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Grayson is becoming the X-factor that I thought Rasheed would be for this team. He's not as good as Rasheed, but if he can potentially score 25-30 points, you have to respect his game. Interestingly, Grayson and Rasheed both have a career high in points of 27.

Grayson reminds me of Rasheed in how he seems to be able to break down his defender and get to the basket very well.

superdave
03-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Through two NCAA tournament games, Okafor is 21-27 from the field and 5-8 from the free throw line. His efficeinecy and dominance have been nice.

But the biggest question coming into the tournament was our defense. Somehow or another, Justise became the Stacy Augmon/Andre Igoudala/Shane Battier defensive force we hoped to see. He's healthy, he's gambling, hustling and making plays like a mad man out there. His play makes everyone's lives easier. What a matchup nightmare at the 4. Calipari is going to wish he had Poythress.

Coach K has some game-planning to do for Utah, with their size, guard-play and shooter. So I think we may see a mix of defenses again Friday. But if Justise keeps playing at this recent high level, we can push Utah out of their comfort zone. We just need to start the game off strong.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-25-2015, 10:21 AM

This cannot be overstated. I figure part has to be practicing with Jahlil every day - that has to be good for a kid like MP3. Additionally, I feel that our team is better learning how best to "use" him. Don't get him the ball on the high post and expect him to juke you out of your shoes like Okafor does or drain a twelve footer. BUT, if you lob him the ball about six inches off the rim, he can bring the hammer down.

Earlier in the season, it felt our team was jarringly different when we subbed our bigs, but now the flow is more smooth.

Kedsy
03-25-2015, 11:17 AM
This cannot be overstated. I figure part has to be practicing with Jahlil every day - that has to be good for a kid like MP3. Additionally, I feel that our team is better learning how best to "use" him. Don't get him the ball on the high post and expect him to juke you out of your shoes like Okafor does or drain a twelve footer. BUT, if you lob him the ball about six inches off the rim, he can bring the hammer down.

Earlier in the season, it felt our team was jarringly different when we subbed our bigs, but now the flow is more smooth.

I think it's confidence. Both Marshall in himself and his teammates in him. It's a lot harder to catch the ball if you don't expect your teammates to throw to you. If you go about your business expecting to get the ball, it's a lot easier to do something good with it.

Having that confidence, it's a big step for Marshall.

MarkD83
03-25-2015, 01:05 PM
I think it's confidence. Both Marshall in himself and his teammates in him. It's a lot harder to catch the ball if you don't expect your teammates to throw to you. If you go about your business expecting to get the ball, it's a lot easier to do something good with it.

Having that confidence, it's a big step for Marshall.

I'll second this comment. In the past few games it looks as if Tyus and Quinn are looking to get a lob to Marshall when he is in the game. Earlier in the year even if Marshall was open it looked as if our guards were reluctant to throw him the ball.

NYBri
03-25-2015, 03:48 PM
I'll second this comment. In the past few games it looks as if Tyus and Quinn are looking to get a lob to Marshall when he is in the game. Earlier in the year even if Marshall was open it looked as if our guards were reluctant to throw him the ball.

Earlier in the year, K said that the team needed to learn how to play with Jah...meaning how/where to get him the ball and what to do once he has it. I think the process with Marshall took a bit longer, but we seem to have solved it with both of them.

Proof being seen in how Tyus will get the ball to Jah in the low box with his back to the basket, and then shortly after Marshall comes in, he drives and lobs over the top to Marshall for the slam.

Two completely different approaches, good results.

Newton_14
03-25-2015, 05:50 PM

I think Grayson has a much higher ceiling than Rasheed, and a much more well-rounded skill set and game. Now, Rasheed was more ready for college hoops as a Frosh than Grayson was, but from a skill set stand point, I don't think it is all that close really. Grayson has high level skill and athleticism. I believe he will be an ALL ACC level player down the road.

I watched some highlights the other night from Rasheed's Freshmen season and it was a stark reminder of how well he played as a freshman and how far he regressed season over season. A bizarre career. In those highlights he showed none of the herky jerky, awkwardness, motions whether driving or just dribbling down the court. Can't remember which article, but in one of the more recent articles on Rasheed since being dismissed, the picture was a freeze frame of him starting up court with the ball and he could not have looked more awkward. There was nothing "athletic" about that photo. I will never understand it. Watching Soph/Jr Rasheed vs Freshman Rasheed was like watching two total different players. I wish I could find that photo. I will post it if I do.

yancem
03-26-2015, 08:08 PM
I think Grayson has a much higher ceiling than Rasheed, and a much more well-rounded skill set and game. Now, Rasheed was more ready for college hoops as a Frosh than Grayson was, but from a skill set stand point, I don't think it is all that close really. Grayson has high level skill and athleticism. I believe he will be an ALL ACC level player down the road.

I watched some highlights the other night from Rasheed's Freshmen season and it was a stark reminder of how well he played as a freshman and how far he regressed season over season. A bizarre career. In those highlights he showed none of the herky jerky, awkwardness, motions whether driving or just dribbling down the court. Can't remember which article, but in one of the more recent articles on Rasheed since being dismissed, the picture was a freeze frame of him starting up court with the ball and he could not have looked more awkward. There was nothing "athletic" about that photo. I will never understand it. Watching Soph/Jr Rasheed vs Freshman Rasheed was like watching two total different players. I wish I could find that photo. I will post it if I do.

Saying that Allen has more upside than Suliamon is a little hind sight being 20-20. Sulaimon's upside seemed huge after his freshman year. Yes, he was more college ready but he had plenty of upside also. Now that upside seemed to to inexplicably shrink each of the next two years. I can only assume that this shrinking was some how connected to whatever issues led to his dismissal. Just to be clear, I'm not saying his declining potential led to his dismissal but that whatever led to his dimisal was partly the cause of his declining potential.

DukieInBrasil
03-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Saying that Allen has more upside than Suliamon is a little hind sight being 20-20. Sulaimon's upside seemed huge after his freshman year. Yes, he was more college ready but he had plenty of upside also. Now that upside seemed to to inexplicably shrink each of the next two years. I can only assume that this shrinking was some how connected to whatever issues led to his dismissal. Just to be clear, I'm not saying his declining potential led to his dismissal but that whatever led to his dimisal was partly the cause of his declining potential.

I agree with this. I remember thinking "Will Rasheed be around after his So. season?" He seemed to have a very well-rounded skill set and lots of upside.
Back to the topic: it'd be nice if Grayson acts as a bit of an X-factor in these games, maybe 5 or 7 surprise points. I'd also like to see Matt Jones not get his shots blocked, and score 7 or more points. If we get that kind of production from the "3", it'll draw a bit more attention away from the players with a reputation for scoring, hopefully making it easier for Jah, Justise and Quinn to score easily. The real X-factor i would like to see though, is Amile. His playing time has been sliding lately alongside the re-emergence of Justise, but if we can get 3 or 4 baskets from Amile with his season average on the boards, i think that'll go a long way in tilting the game to our favor.
Let's win this first game of this 2 game tourney!

superdave
03-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Rasheed did not regress. He was asked to have the ball in his hands and create as a freshman, but was asked to play off the ball and be in a supporting role as a sophomore/junior with a different lineup. His game did not really adjust, but I do not think it is fair to say he regressed. He was no longer playing to his strengths.

But I do agree that Grayson has more potential. He is more explosive athletically, has a more consistent jumper and seems to play off the ball, in a supporting role, much much better than Rasheed. I think he has better touch on floaters in the lane as well. It will be interesting to see how much Grayson improves during the offseason. Rasheed came back for his second year out of shape which didnt help. I do not expect that from Grayson. He sees minutes up for grab and I think he is very hungry.

yancem
03-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Rasheed did not regress. He was asked to have the ball in his hands and create as a freshman, but was asked to play off the ball and be in a supporting role as a sophomore/junior with a different lineup. His game did not really adjust, but I do not think it is fair to say he regressed. He was no longer playing to his strengths.

But I do agree that Grayson has more potential. He is more explosive athletically, has a more consistent jumper and seems to play off the ball, in a supporting role, much much better than Rasheed. I think he has better touch on floaters in the lane as well. It will be interesting to see how much Grayson improves during the offseason. Rasheed came back for his second year out of shape which didnt help. I do not expect that from Grayson. He sees minutes up for grab and I think he is very hungry.

My recollection of Sulaimon's game his freshman year is different than yours. I remember thinking that it he was so much different than Rivers, he had a good catch and shoot game and while he drove to the hoop a lot, he wasn't ball dominate. We has MP2, Curry and Kelly as our scorers and Cook was the primary ball handler/distributor. As a freshman he seemed content to play behind/fit in with the upperclassmen. I think his struggles came from him thinking he would be a more integral part of the offense as a sophomore but couldn't find a way to fit in with the more ball dominate Parker and Hood. I do think you are right that maybe regress is the wrong word but he didn't evolve like many of us thought he would. I don't fault him for that last year because I think that him meshing with Parker and Hood was a big challenge but he could have been a bigger part of the scheme this year and seemed to be on his way to doing so before the dismissal. Really strange and unfortunate circumstances.

Anyway, sorry to highjack the thread. I think that the big key for success this weekend is going to be Winslow bringing positive energy and playing efficiently. I felt his first half struggles against ND were as much about being sloppy as they were lack of energy. I would like to see the roll players (MJones, Jefferson and Allen) make some positive plays. The more we get from those guys, the more space the big 4 have to work with.