PDA

View Full Version : What If Hell Froze Over, Pigs Flew, etc...

PSurprise
03-18-2015, 10:37 AM
So I realize that this can't happen this year, but I was (morbidly) curious as to what your reactions would be to a UK-UNCheat final? I really can't think of any worse scenario to end yet another great basketball season. But what if this actually happened? What would you do? Would you boycott? Would you drink yourself into oblivion? How would you cope?

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-18-2015, 10:40 AM
Well we came pretty close last season with UConn and UK in the Final, it was unwatchable for me. In fact after Duke lost in the first round the whole tourney became unwatchable. So if it was a UNC vs UK final I would bury my head in the sand until around April 15th and pretend like it didn't happen.

Duvall
03-18-2015, 10:45 AM
So I realize that this can't happen this year, but I was (morbidly) curious as to what your reactions would be to a UK-UNCheat final? I really can't think of any worse scenario to end yet another great basketball season. But what if this actually happened? What would you do? Would you boycott? Would you drink yourself into oblivion? How would you cope?

Same thing I did with last year's final - hope Kentucky wins, and not watch.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2015, 10:50 AM

Yup, put me down for this too.

PackMan97
03-18-2015, 11:14 AM

I'd become the biggest Wildcat fan on the face of the planet and print out as many Ashley Judd photos as I could without seeming to be too creepy.

GO WILDCATS! BEAT THE CHEATS!

DukieInKansas
03-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Well we came pretty close last season with UConn and UK in the Final, it was unwatchable for me. In fact after Duke lost in the first round the whole tourney became unwatchable. So if it was a UNC vs UK final I would bury my head in the sand until around April 15th and pretend like it didn't happen.

I would watch out for those pigs - never know what they might drop!

Substitute work for sand and you have described my life this time of year ;) I do make time for choir, handbells, and Duke basketball, however. Let's Go, Duke! Please team, make sure that only 1/2 of that bracket is possible because you are the other half.

CBDUKE
03-18-2015, 11:25 AM

I was at the Final Four last year sporting my Duke gear every day. By the final game I was pulling for anybody but Kentucky. The Florida, Wisconsin, and UCONN fans were great. But the Kentucky fans reacted like I was the devil himself/herself. A UNCheat and Ky. final I would sell my tickets and go home.

freshmanjs
03-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Clearly root for KY. KY winning this year would be annoying, but not at all surprising -- they have the best team (or at least one of the very best). UNC winning, on the other hand, would be a total disaster. Unexpected, undeserved, never to be forgotten disaster. It would be the worst thing since 2000 final four appearance.

Henderson
03-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Hitler vs. Stalin in Operation Barbarossa. You can only hope for a meteor.

With no one injured of course.

SCMatt33
03-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Not watch. Hope Kentucky wins. Wait for to get vacated anyway in a few years.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-18-2015, 11:37 AM
In fact after Duke lost in the first round the whole tourney became unwatchable.

I'm pretty much the same way. I went into basketball hibernation last year and couldn't even come around to the DBR, let alone watch March Madness.

devilsadvocate85
03-18-2015, 11:38 AM
I was at the Final Four last year sporting my Duke gear every day. By the final game I was pulling for anybody but Kentucky. The Florida, Wisconsin, and UCONN fans were great. But the Kentucky fans reacted like I was the devil himself/herself. A UNCheat and Ky. final I would sell my tickets and go home.

I went last year as well and packed 2 red shirts, 1 orange shirt and a black shirt. My theory was -- I was rooting for Wisconsin, then Florida if I had to and would be in mourning if the worst case came to pass, which it did.

Native
03-18-2015, 11:41 AM
I would cheer for Kentucky six days of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Never, ever, ever, ever root for UNC. Ever.

kAzE
03-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Nah . . . screw them both. No way I could ever back a Calipari team. I'd root for massive NCAA violations being uncovered on the eve of the national championship for both sides, rendering both of them ineligible.

royalblue
03-18-2015, 12:03 PM
I would buy a ticket
Get a # 32 duke jersey put on for the game
I would pull as hard as Ashley Judd does for UK
Then I would be wanting UK to win with all my heart
At the same time really upsetting the UK and uncch fans
Sounds like a great day if UK wins

Jackson
03-18-2015, 01:23 PM
Any year that Duke loses, college basketball season is over for me. I don't watch a lot of college hoops unless Duke is playing. I can watch pretty much any team in college football, but in basketball, it's Duke and no one else.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-18-2015, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty much the same way. I went into basketball hibernation last year and couldn't even come around to the DBR, let alone watch March Madness.

Yea when you put as much time into watching a team and they flame out on the first day of the tournament, and in an early game if I remember correctly it is utterly jarring. I remember being so excited for the weekend, was going to go out drinking with my buddies and watch all the games on 4 different screens. Then I was at work watching the Duke game online, and my stomach was in knots, then the loss happened and I was pretty pissed off. I remember thinking that I was done being so into one sports team, and I deleted all my sports apps, and didn't visit DBR for months. Then football came around and I hopped on DBR, then I got excited about hoops upcoming. So thank you DBR you restored my faith in hoops. However, I do think I have made an effort to not put so much into this now. I can't allow my mood to be changed by the fortunes of a group of kids playing basketball. Just enjoy the ride.

Go Duke

mr. synellinden
03-18-2015, 02:48 PM
I'd root for Kentucky to win by at least 31 points and hopefully by 70 or more - let's say something like 98 - 17.

jv001
03-18-2015, 02:55 PM
I would cheer for Kentucky six days of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Never, ever, ever, ever root for UNC. Ever.

What he said ^. Never, ever, ever, ever root for the Cheats. Ever. GoDuke!

NSDukeFan
03-18-2015, 08:48 PM
I take it this is the opposite of the optimist thread.

jipops
03-18-2015, 10:35 PM
I don't care for Kentucky and I want unc to lose to everyone. This is a game I just wouldn't watch. On to the NBA playoffs!

OldPhiKap
03-18-2015, 10:37 PM
I take it this is the opposite of the optimist thread.

"The Hypothetical Pessimist Thread"

HK Dukie
03-18-2015, 10:47 PM
UNC-UK Matchups

I cheer for UNC over UK during the regular season. ACC and all. Helps Duke SoS.

I cheer for UK over UNC in the tournament. At least UK has the right shade of blue.

Tom B.
03-18-2015, 11:43 PM
A Carolina/Kentucky final?

This would be me. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07zYvkNYL8&noredirect=1)

jacone21
03-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Confession time...

I wanted UNC to win in 1993, but I was young, and it was Michigan dang it! After Duke lost, I went into anybody-but-Michigan mode.

I think Scotty Thurman was my punishment for that lapse in judgment. Sorry about that.

Never again.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Confession time...

I wanted UNC to win in 1993, but I was young, and it was Michigan dang it! After Duke lost, I went into anybody-but-Michigan mode.

I think Scotty Thurman was my punishment for that lapse in judgment. Sorry about that.

Never again.

It's Lent. Atone, and sin no more.