PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging words

MarkD83
03-14-2015, 07:25 AM
In the lead article on DBR there are these quotes.

"The last 16 minutes, we played our butts off," he (Coach K) said. "I have no fault with the last 16 minutes. If we play like that, we'll be alright."

And the first 24 minutes?

"Hopefully, we're still at a point in time where we can learn from this," he said.

Okafor was asked what he and his teammates learned from this loss?

"Just we started off poorly," he said. "Coach tried to warn us before the game that this is a game where we might get off to a slow start. We just have to find a way to get each other going before the game."

OK .. time to move on and take nothing for granted. Win the first 5 mins of each game from here on out.

Bob Green
03-14-2015, 07:47 AM
Okafor made a free throw at the 16:25 mark to cut Notre Dame's lead to 6-5. Duke's next points were an Okafor field goal at the 11:11 mark. The 4:14 second span between those scores consisted of a 12-0 run by the Irish. We never recovered.

MarkD83
03-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Okafor made a free throw at the 16:25 mark to cut Notre Dame's lead to 6-5. Duke's next points were an Okafor field goal at the 11:11 mark. The 4:14 second span between those scores consisted of a 12-0 run by the Irish. We never recovered.

Ok make that win the first 8:49 of each game :)

dukelifer
03-14-2015, 08:10 AM

Young teams have a tendency to do this. Often the good team that almost lost the night before comes out with urgency. Duke had an easy game and did not. ND did not. Late game- feeling too good about the win against State- not respecting ND after the previous big blowout despite what the coaches said- probably played into it. Needed Cook to right the ship but he did not have it yesterday. The big tourney is all about getting hot at the right time and surviving when you have an off night. Takes a collective experience to handle these kind of situations. In 2001 - Duke had to battle MD in the FF after a big deficit. That was a sophomore team led by an experienced senior. They found a way. Most teams will not be able to dig out of the hole. Duke did fight but did not have enough. We will see where this takes them.

Duke3517
03-14-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm sure players like Quinn and Amile understand this because of experience but when you are in the tournament sense of urgency is at its highest point. These teams don't want to go home and have their seasons end. More things you see is physical play is heavily increased during tournament time. We will see if Duke is up for the physical play that teams will bring in the NCAA tournament.

I still think Duke will make it to the elite 8 and above. You may possibly see Plumlee for more minutes to help with the chippiness.

DukeDevilDeb
03-14-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm sure players like Quinn and Amile understand this because of experience but when you are in the tournament sense of urgency is at its highest point. These teams don't want to go home and have their seasons end. More things you see is physical play is heavily increased during tournament time. We will see if Duke is up for the physical play that teams will bring in the NCAA tournament.

I still think Duke will make it to the elite 8 and above. You may possibly see Plumlee for more minutes to help with the chippiness.

Of everything, I feel so sorry for Quinn who has desperately wanted to put a banner up in Cameron--a feeling I understand. But of all the problems in last night's game, the one I understand least is Cook's total mental and physical absence. Justise was gone for the first 24 minutes, but he found himself and played remarkably well for the rest of the game (not long enough, I fear) with 11 points and a team high 11 rebounds. Matt had a pretty weak line, 1-4 from the floor (a 3-pointer) and only 1 rebound . Tyus hit a 3 and drove for a basket and free throw and had 10 points and 4 rebounds. Even Marshall shot 100%, only this time it was 1 for 1 not 6 for 6.

But the two players who had what I thought were really bad games were Quinn and Amile... the co-captains. Amile only played 12 minutes but had 3 rebounds, no points, 1 block and 2 PFs. Notre Dame is the kind of team which is a bad match-up for him. But Quinn was just nowhere to be found. He played 39 minutes, second only to Tyus who played the entire game. He was 1 for 8 from the floor. He was his usual brilliant free throw shooter, but he only got to the line once. Some nights we don't hit the 3 ball, but Quinn has always known that, when that happens, you have to change your attack, drive the lane and kick to someone else, be a monster on defense... and he did none of these. He had 2 turnovers and 2 rebounds... and 4 (yes, 4) personal fouls. (Note: I did think there were some really bizarre calls on us). But all the experience didn't seem to help here.

Coach said he was sick earlier in the week; maybe his efforts against State used what little reserve he had. But this is not how Quinn wanted to go out from ACC play. He just wasn't excited. When I saw how flat the rest of the team was, I looked to Quinn for a lift... but if anything, he was even flatter.

From now on it is one and done. Whether we get a 1 seed (I hope) or a 2 seed, there is no room in the rest of the schedule for a game like this.

Go Duke!

captmojo
03-14-2015, 12:08 PM
I don't know what to say that would be considered, "encouraging", other than that's a pressure that is over. Now, the winning of six in a row.
An understanding of keeping in focus, defending strongly and some movement on offense. Last night was reminiscent of last season, when it appeared that the team did a lot of standing around, becoming spectators rather than being more involved as players. Just watching Jahlil's moves with the ball much like they seemed to watch Jabari a year ago. They looked nothing like this against State, the night before. A tale of two teams. See this latter one? Don't be that anymore.

Like I used to hear an old coach say, "Have an outlet, or be an outlet. That's how you play offense."

jv001
03-14-2015, 01:14 PM
For 24 minutes it looked like ND wanted the game more than Duke. We showed lot's of heart getting back into the game but we could not overcome those 24 lackluster, no hustle, no focus minutes. I agree with the above poster that commented on Quinn's play. I don't know if he was still sick or just didn't focus but it was evident, he didn't have "it". As for the comments on Amile, I agree there as well. ND was a team he should have been able to get several offensive rebound put backs. He got some O-Rebounds but not many if any put backs. During the first few minutes, I told my wife look at how Duke was standing around. Too much watching Jahlil do his thing with the ball. I wish we had run the pick and roll with Tyus and Jah more often. I think this might have helped our stagnant offense and last, I'm hoping the team's health is close to 100% by Thursday or Friday and we come out focused against any team we play. Including the teams that we know we should beat. It's time to put up or shut up. Take no plays off and play like your life depends on it. GoDuke!

MCFinARL
03-14-2015, 03:58 PM
For 24 minutes it looked like ND wanted the game more than Duke. We showed lot's of heart getting back into the game but we could not overcome those 24 lackluster, no hustle, no focus minutes. I agree with the above poster that commented on Quinn's play. I don't know if he was still sick or just didn't focus but it was evident, he didn't have "it". As for the comments on Amile, I agree there as well. ND was a team he should have been able to get several offensive rebound put backs. He got some O-Rebounds but not many if any put backs. During the first few minutes, I told my wife look at how Duke was standing around. Too much watching Jahlil do his thing with the ball. I wish we had run the pick and roll with Tyus and Jah more often. I think this might have helped our stagnant offense and last, I'm hoping the team's health is close to 100% by Thursday or Friday and we come out focused against any team we play. Including the teams that we know we should beat. It's time to put up or shut up. Take no plays off and play like your life depends on it. GoDuke!

I have an alternative idea about Quinn--it's almost impossible for me to imagine he would not be focused in this game; instead, I think he may have been focused, but focusing too much on wanting to win and not enough on getting into the flow of the game. We did not see him relax and let the game come to him the way he usually has this year.

jv001
03-14-2015, 04:21 PM
I have an alternative idea about Quinn--it's almost impossible for me to imagine he would not be focused in this game; instead, I think he may have been focused, but focusing too much on wanting to win and not enough on getting into the flow of the game. We did not see him relax and let the game come to him the way he usually has this year.

The bolded part of your post is probably correct about Quinn. But I think being relaxed and letting the game come to him is part of being focused. I don't think Quinn stunk up the Greensboro Coliseum. He was just off his game and that was mainly shooting the ball. All though his defense was not up to his usual standards for the season. I was disappointed with Justise play at the beginning of the game. This really hurt in that ND took advantage of his poor play and began to build their lead. However he showed great spirit in the 2nd half and was playing like he's been playing the last month. But the damage was already done. ND is a good FT shooting team and they weren't going to miss enough FTs to get us the win. GoDuke!

subzero02
03-14-2015, 05:11 PM
I think Quinn was gassed for whatever reason( end of season fatigue... Recovering from an illness). He got open looks, they just didn't go down. Hopefully he finds his shooting stroke and recharges his batteris for next weekend.

Kedsy
03-14-2015, 05:13 PM
I think Quinn was gassed. He got open looks, they just didn't go down. Hopefully he finds his shooting stroke

He was rushing his shot a little. Not getting his feet totally set before he let it fly. Less rhythm on the catch-and-shoot. All he needed to do was relax, get his feet set before he caught the ball (as he has been doing all year) and he would have been fine. I think he was trying too hard, attempting to will the team to victory.

roywhite
03-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Of everything, I feel so sorry for Quinn who has desperately wanted to put a banner up in Cameron--a feeling I understand. But of all the problems in last night's game, the one I understand least is Cook's total mental and physical absence.
Coach said he was sick earlier in the week; maybe his efforts against State used what little reserve he had. But this is not how Quinn wanted to go out from ACC play. He just wasn't excited. When I saw how flat the rest of the team was, I looked to Quinn for a lift... but if anything, he was even flatter.

Go Duke!

I think Quinn was gassed for whatever reason( end of season fatigue... Recovering from an illness). He got open looks, they just didn't go down. Hopefully he finds his shooting stroke and recharges his batteris for next weekend.

Just my observation from my own couch, but I think Quinn was either under-the-weather with a flu/respiratory illness or just barely recovered. On a couple close-up shots, his face was totally covered with sweat, not generally consistent with the high level of fitness that he has had this season.

Should be time for Quinn and other team members to get some rest and then good practice time and conditioning prior to the NCAA Tournament.

Brighter days ahead.

Newton_14
03-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Young teams have a tendency to do this. Often the good team that almost lost the night before comes out with urgency. Duke had an easy game and did not. ND did not. Late game- feeling too good about the win against State- not respecting ND after the previous big blowout despite what the coaches said- probably played into it. Needed Cook to right the ship but he did not have it yesterday. The big tourney is all about getting hot at the right time and surviving when you have an off night. Takes a collective experience to handle these kind of situations. In 2001 - Duke had to battle MD in the FF after a big deficit. That was a sophomore team led by an experienced senior. They found a way. Most teams will not be able to dig out of the hole. Duke did fight but did not have enough. We will see where this takes them.

Good post. I thought the game against State hurt us badly actually. The guys played a whole half of practically meaningless basketball, then had the quick turn around. They lost the edge (or verve as K calls it). They finally found that edge/verve with 16 mins left but the hole was deep. They made it all the way back but time was very short and as often is the case, they expended so much energy coming back, they did not have enough left in the tank to make it the final step. If one or two of Quinn's 3's go down, maybe it is a different story, but twas not to be.

I am just sick because we lost the final chance for Quinn Cook to get an ACC Championship. That hurts. So now we have two chances left to get Quinn a banner. The Regional Championship and National Championship. They are good enough to get both if they have that edge/verve for all four/six games, but like K said, learning time is over. They are now officially one bad game from the end. Let's not have that bad game this time...