PDA

View Full Version : A Blue Devil fan's dilemma?

rsvman
03-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Here's the issue. I would really like to see Duke win the ACC conference tournament. I would LOVE to see Quinn Cook finally able to enjoy that thrill (not to mention the other guys, but Quinn's been at it longer than any of them). Obviously, the first step is to beat ND tonight. I'm not overlooking ND, as I feel they are probably the second-strongest of the other teams that remain in the tournament, and we definitely have to play them (versus the fact that if we win tonight, we only have to play ONE of the remaining two teams).

If we win tonight, I think we have a good chance of winning the tournament regardless of who comes out of the other side of the bracket. I kind of feel, however, that our chances would be slightly BETTER if we were to face UNC rather than UVa. IF that's the case, then a UNC victory over UVa would be a good thing for Duke.

But I CANNOT root for the Heels.

That's the dilemma.

Maybe my assumption about our chances of beating UNC versus UVa is wrong? Maybe our chances, either way, would be about equal? Somebody please tell me that we'd be just as well off playing UVa as playing UNC so I can get on with my usual business (namely, rooting for whomever is playing against UNC).

What do you think? (And I realize I'm jumping the gun, because we haven't yet played the ND game; problem is that the UVa vs UNC game is going to be played BEFORE our game!)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 12:33 PM
No dilemma.

Go Cavs.

Native
03-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Go Cavs. No question.

Your assumption is wrong — it's hard to beat anyone three times in the same season.

Virginia won last year's championship against us — we're due to win one against them.

Kfanarmy
03-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Here's the issue. I would really like to see Duke win the ACC conference tournament. I would LOVE to see Quinn Cook finally able to enjoy that thrill (not to mention the other guys, but Quinn's been at it longer than any of them). Obviously, the first step is to beat ND tonight. I'm not overlooking ND, as I feel they are probably the second-strongest of the other teams that remain in the tournament, and we definitely have to play them (versus the fact that if we win tonight, we only have to play ONE of the remaining two teams).

If we win tonight, I think we have a good chance of winning the tournament regardless of who comes out of the other side of the bracket. I kind of feel, however, that our chances would be slightly BETTER if we were to face UNC rather than UVa. IF that's the case, then a UNC victory over UVa would be a good thing for Duke.

That's the dilemma.

Maybe my assumption about our chances of beating UNC versus UVa is wrong? Maybe our chances, either way, would be about equal? Somebody please tell me that we'd be just as well off playing UVa as playing UNC so I can get on with my usual business (namely, rooting for whomever is playing against UNC).

What do you think? (And I realize I'm jumping the gun, because we haven't yet played the ND game; problem is that the UVa vs UNC game is going to be played BEFORE our game!)

I think ND will be a challenge, after that I'd prefer they play the one least likely to have a cheating scandal talked about in the pregame...

gocanes0506
03-13-2015, 12:37 PM
No dilemma.

Go Cavs.

x1000

devildeac
03-13-2015, 12:43 PM
No conflicting interests/dilemmas for me.

1. Go Devils!

2. GTHc, GTH!

killerleft
03-13-2015, 12:51 PM
First we beat Notre Dame.

THEN, I don't really care that much. Or do I?

Our standing for NCAA seeding would be very close to Kentucky's if we beat UVA, however. And we'll be very much on the Cats' minds. Good place to be, I would think.

GTHC. Let's stick the horns of that Delimma firmly up Roy Williams... nose!

Go Cavs!

Dev11
03-13-2015, 01:06 PM
No dilemma.

Go Cavs.

Just for today, Wahoowa!

BluDvlsN1
03-13-2015, 01:12 PM
I too for a fleeting moment did the same mental gyrations.

Because don't we just love the opportunity to send unc home with a hockey stick. (L).
Then I woke up and it's always the same, our 2nd favorite team is always
whatever team is playing unc.

If I needed to rationalize for the sake of this discussion. UVA won the regular season,
so why not an opportunity to right the ship with a conference championship win.

Most assuredly, this comes under the umbrella of we must beat a a very good ND team 1st.

I just love the defense we're playing and the energy we're playing with now and
the 1st half versus ND at CIS.

So by all means Go Cavs
And GTHCGTH
F9 all the way back to Chapel Hill

Henderson
03-13-2015, 01:14 PM

That's the dilemma.

It's more simple than that. Holes down.

Bob Green
03-13-2015, 01:19 PM
— it's hard to beat anyone three times in the same season.

I agree. Go Cavs!

wilko
03-13-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm hoping UNC/UVa goes to 10 OT's.

In so much as I'm hoping Duke wins tonite, I don't wanna jinx it and pick an opponent for the title game we haven't yet gotten too..

So lets just hope that winner of UNC/UVa is ground into hamburger meat and has no gas/legs/energy for the title game..

elvis14
03-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Go Cavs. No question.

Your assumption is wrong — it's hard to beat anyone three times in the same season.

Virginia won last year's championship against us — we're due to win one against them.

Native has it nailed....Go Cavs.

Let me simplify this for you. Below is a list that shows when it's OK to root for UNCheat:

rsvman
03-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Native has it nailed....Go Cavs.

Let me simplify this for you. Below is a list that shows when it's OK to root for UNCheat:

Oh, I completely agree. Like I said in my original post, I just CANNOT do it, under any circumstances whatsoever.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Let's beat ND and then beat the Cavs!

dukelifer
03-13-2015, 02:19 PM

That's the dilemma.

Much more to lose if we lose to UNC than UVa. We will lose the benefit of the first two wins to gloat for another year. UNC will hold this win as evidence that they simply blew the first two games. If we lose to UVa folks will likely blame it on Duke's short bench- assuming a tough game against Notre Dame and UVa is considered by many as an elite team- so no shame to lose to them - particularly since we have a win against them. If we beat UNC- we gain nothing (other than a championship). If we beat UVa- we get a championship AND are seen as a better team going into the tourney and diminish UVa's regular season championship given their weak schedule and two wins against them. Duke fan base needs to go all in and root against UNC (as if that is hard to do).

Olympic Fan
03-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Go Cavs! Three reasons:

(1) I always want to beat the best and Virginia is the best team Duke could play. I also hope Justin Anderson has a big game in the semis and is at close to full speed against Duke -- he was a month ago when we beat them in Charlottesville.

(2) Playing Virginia would guarantee a No. 1 seed -- win or lose. Losing to UNC in the finals probably leaves Duke a No. 1, but it's a worse loss than to UVa.

(3) There's the chance UNC could win the championship. Not much, but if they get to Saturday, it's there. A loss to the Cavs in the finals would be disappointing, but I'd tip my hats to them then move on to the NCAA.

A loss to that corrupt program in Chapel Hill would be like a kick in the gut.

So Go Cavs tonight!

PS I agree that we better not be looking past Notre Dame tonight. But since the UNC-Virginia game is first, we do need to decide who to pull for ... not that there's any real choice to make,

rsvman
03-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Olympic Fan, your point number three is well taken. I've become even a bigger Wahoo fan since reading your post.

53n206
03-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Not as worried as I might have been earl in season. Our defense is so much better, no longer an open 4 lane highway for opposing guards to run to the basket. Want another piece of the 'heels soul.

InSpades
03-13-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm reminded of the baseball playoffs of 2000. You see, my family is full of Yankees fans. While not our greatest rivals... the Mets were our closest (in proximity) competitors. We hated the Red Sox but you didn't have to see their fans every day. Mets fans were all around... even some relatives. Going into the league championships I was very excited for the Subway series to come to fruition. After all... what could be greater than beating the Mets in the World Series? Gloating rights for years (or decades!).

My brother on the other hand was ever the pessimist. What if we lost? This would be the worst case scenario (well, maybe not worse than blowing a 3 game lead to Boston...). He could only see the downside.

While I can respect the "ABC" crowd and their viewpoints... and for the most part I agree. It would be pretty sweet to beat them a 3rd time this year :). Not that I'll be rooting for Carolina tonight... but I won't be rooting *that* hard against them.

DukeandMdFan
03-13-2015, 02:46 PM

I think you have been given reasons to believe that beating UVa will be just as easy as beating UNC.

However, IMO, if you believe that Duke will have an easier time beating UNC, I think you should root (certainly not out loud, but quietly to yourself in an ashamed kind of way) for UNC. Rationale: There are a lot of teams in the ACC now, so the deire for Duke to win should greatly exceed the desire for ABC to win.

Upon further review, I think you should just root for UVA to lose.

Troublemaker
03-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Okay, I'll be the uncool kid.

Let's Go Heels!!!

Bracketology-wise, what I'm rooting for to happen is a kingmaker bracket in which the three best teams besides Duke -- Kentucky, UVA, and Arizona -- are all on the other side of the bracket. This can happen if UVA is the fourth #1 seed and goes West, taking on Arizona as their #2 seed. A UNC victory tonight will help a great deal in facilitating my kingmaker bracket.

And if UNC wins, Duke gets the opportunity to triple crown them on Saturday. Yes, we could lose, but I like our odds. I would forecast a 75% chance of a triple crown if a Duke-UNC matchup occurs. That said, I usually wouldn't root for the triple crown here but the NCAA implications of a UVA loss are very good for Duke, imo. Kingmaker bracket!

Wheat, log on and let's discuss how our Heels are going to take down UVA tonight. Do you think we've written enough fake papers this week in order to rest up and get more preparation time than UVA? I was disappointed that Marcus made the ACC All-Academic team. He's had a disappointing year so far. I hope he no-shows some classes next week. It's March! Time to step up your game, captain!

Billy Dat
03-13-2015, 03:03 PM
I want to play the best, UVA, and beat them. We seem to be developing a "friendly" rivalry with them...mutual respect and all.....let's see how long that lasts if they keep stacking titles. I want our team to win this ACC tournament and I want to beat UVA to get it.

elvis14
03-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Okay, I'll be the uncool kid.

Let's Go Heels!!!

Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Troublemaker, it appears as though you have chosen an appropriate username. Perhaps you should try it out on IC :p

BigWayne
03-13-2015, 03:37 PM
UNC losing to UVA today, followed by a Duke win over ND and then UVA tomorrow will maximize the misery of my UNC FB friends, so that is what I am cheering for.

theschwartz
03-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Absolutely cheering for UVA to beat UNC tonight and then for us to knock off UVA tomorrow.

To play devil's advocate however, there seem to be a few pundits out there who believe that come Selection Sunday, Wisconsin (if they win the B1G Tourney) will be the 4th 1-seed and that the ACC will only get one of the 1-seeds. Right now, UVA and Duke are basically on an even footing (though UVA might have a tiny advantage since they won the regular-season ACC crown), so whoever wins (or advances furthest) in the ACC Tourney will get that 1-seed in the East, with the "consolation prize" being a 2-seed in the South or possibly in the MW with Kentucky (Cleveland is geographically closer to both Duke & UVA than Houston). Obviously, I don't agree with that as I think Duke & UVA have both done enough this season to earn 1-seeds no matter how the rest of the ACCT plays out, but the selection committee is nothing if not unpredictable. In the event such a scenario is possible, then I will not be shedding too many tears if UNC takes down UVA tonight. If that happens and we take care of business against ND, then I think there's no way we drop to a 2-seed, while UVA might have to sweat it out come Sunday.

Kedsy
03-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Absolutely cheering for UVA to beat UNC tonight and then for us to knock off UVA tomorrow.

To play devil's advocate however, there seem to be a few pundits out there who believe that come Selection Sunday, Wisconsin (if they win the B1G Tourney) will be the 4th 1-seed and that the ACC will only get one of the 1-seeds. Right now, UVA and Duke are basically on an even footing (though UVA might have a tiny advantage since they won the regular-season ACC crown), so whoever wins (or advances furthest) in the ACC Tourney will get that 1-seed in the East, with the "consolation prize" being a 2-seed in the South or possibly in the MW with Kentucky (Cleveland is geographically closer to both Duke & UVA than Houston).

All the pundits I've heard are suggesting Wisconsin maybe should be the 4th #1-seed ahead of Villanova. I haven't heard anyone suggesting Wisconsin should beat out either Duke or Virginia.

theschwartz
03-13-2015, 04:46 PM
All the pundits I've heard are suggesting Wisconsin maybe should be the 4th #1-seed ahead of Villanova. I haven't heard anyone suggesting Wisconsin should beat out either Duke or Virginia.

I listen to the CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast with Gary Parrish--my 2nd-favorite college bball podcast after the DBR podcast--and on Monday, Parrish and his cohorts were speculating on the 1-seeds. As of now, they agree with the consensus that it should be Kentucky, Duke, Virginia, and Villanova, but come Selection Sunday, if both Wisconsin and Villanova win their conference tourneys, they would both get 1-seeds, and then Duke and Virginia "would sort itself out" - meaning whoever wins or goes further gets a 1, and the other gets a 2. Who knows if the committee will look at it the same way? As long as we don't get stuck with the 2-seed in Kentucky's region, I have no issues with where we end up. But as I said, if we win tonight and UVA loses, I'll sleep easier knowing we have a definite leg up on UVA in the seeding pecking order, even if it means we have to face UNC for the third time tomorrow.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2015, 05:15 PM
I want to head back over to CH Whole Foods tomorrow with my new 1K hat on and a smile on my face knowing we're playing UVA in the finals.

Kedsy
03-13-2015, 05:22 PM
I listen to the CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast with Gary Parrish--my 2nd-favorite college bball podcast after the DBR podcast--and on Monday, Parrish and his cohorts were speculating on the 1-seeds. As of now, they agree with the consensus that it should be Kentucky, Duke, Virginia, and Villanova, but come Selection Sunday, if both Wisconsin and Villanova win their conference tourneys, they would both get 1-seeds, and then Duke and Virginia "would sort itself out" - meaning whoever wins or goes further gets a 1, and the other gets a 2. Who knows if the committee will look at it the same way? As long as we don't get stuck with the 2-seed in Kentucky's region, I have no issues with where we end up. But as I said, if we win tonight and UVA loses, we'll have a definite leg up on UVA in the seeding pecking order, even if it means we'll be facing UNC for the third time this season tomorrow.

Did they say why they thought Nova would be ahead of any of the other three? Was it just because they'd be a two-loss team that's champion of a major conference? Because if so, I think that's a big assumption.

Trinity09
03-13-2015, 06:01 PM
I will never, ever, ever, EVER root for the cheats. Ever. Go Hoos.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Let's just say I'm indifferent to the outcome. I rather wish our game were first, then it would be easier to choose (Duke loses --> root for youveeay; Duke wins --> wouldn't mind getting unc again).

BUT....

A scenario is brewing in the NCAAs where I may root for unc. Specifically, if unc is kentucky's 4/5 seed and the bottom of the bracket has a strong 2 seed (not Gonzaga). Just throwing it out there. Gotta be prepared.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2015, 06:13 PM
There have been literally a hundred or so games over my watching career where it was logical to want Carolina to win, and I have failed literally a hundred or so times to do so. I cannot do it.

Go Cavs. As long as Duke wins tonight, everything else sorts out. If we don't, then it doesn't matter anyway.

I don't see any scenario where we get to to ACC final, and fall to a 2 seed with a loss.

Wander
03-13-2015, 06:21 PM
The stuff about "it's hard to beat a team 3 times in a season" is silly - UVA would be a harder game, no question. But root for UVA anyway, obviously.

theschwartz
03-13-2015, 07:15 PM
Did they say why they thought Nova would be ahead of any of the other three? Was it just because they'd be a two-loss team that's champion of a major conference? Because if so, I think that's a big assumption.

They didn't give specific reasons for Villanova, but I'll fill in what they were probably thinking: a 2-loss team that wins the regular season title and tournament of the #2 conference in the country (per RPI), that until the other day was #3 in RPI (they just dropped to #5 while we leapfrogged them and Wisconsin to go to #3). Meanwhile, if we don't win the tourney, the naysayers will come out and argue why a team that did NOT win the regular season or tourney of the #3 conference in the country deserves a 1 seed. Bottom line is we need to take care of business in Greensboro.

Acymetric
03-13-2015, 07:21 PM
I have never and will never pull for *nc, even if it is because it gives Duke an easier matchup and/or another opportunity to stick it to the heels. The closest I can come, and it is where I stand now, is that I don't care which team wins. Can't think of another carolina game where I wasn't actively rooting against them but I suppose it may have happened before. I guess now that I'm watching I am admittedly pulling for UVA but mostly because I don't like to see *nc have success. Once the game is over it won't mean much to me either way.

We either get a shot at a 3-game sweep against *nc or we get a shot at one of the best teams in the country and lock up if not the #1 overall undoubtedly the #2. I'll be happy either way, as long as we take care of business ourselves tonight.

Im4howdy
03-13-2015, 07:36 PM
UVA- Star player just returned, but won't be able to keep up if Duke runs (as in game with Duke) ADVANTAGE: Duke
- Higher ranked team so more meaningful win, in terms of bracketology

UNCheats- 4th game in four days, already can't shot, no legs left by 2nd half ADVANTAGE: Duke
- There's just something sweet about a 3-peat

Regardless- GTHCGTH GTHCGTH GTHCGTH GTHCGTH

downeastdad
03-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Had the same thoughts myself, until I started watching the game and looked at the arrogant expressions on the faces of Tokoto, Jackson and Paige. No question now. Go, Hoos, and Go Duke.

CDu
03-13-2015, 10:18 PM
You shouldn't base your rooting interests on assuming a Duke win. The start of our game against Notre Dame is evidence of why. Hopefully we can recover, but UNC is now in the final, and we might not be there to keep them from winning it.

Always cheer against UNC.

TruBlu
03-13-2015, 11:53 PM
And suddenly, I have no plans for tomorrow night.

brevity
03-13-2015, 11:54 PM
May want to close this thread for mootness. Not really sure why the #11 team in the nation was so easily dismissed.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2015, 11:54 PM
Ughhh.