PDA

View Full Version : MBB: ACCT Semis, Duke v. ND (~2130 EDT, ACCN/ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

pfrduke
03-13-2015, 12:00 AM
Rubber match against the Irish. Let's get it done.

moonpie23
03-13-2015, 12:03 AM
bring it...

BlueDevilBrowns
03-13-2015, 12:20 AM
bring it...

Another high quality, top 10ish opponent to keep us sharp. We'll definitely be "battle-tested" come next week.

I like it...

Now as far as tomorrow's game, I believe Okafor and Winslow will be bigger factors than they were today. I look for a lot of Justise in the paint posting up.

This Duke team's greatest strength is it's balance and versatility with 8 quality guys that all know their roles.

It's why I'm hopeful a trip to the FF is on the horizon.

Go Duke!!!!

awhom111
03-13-2015, 01:17 AM
ACC Network stations:
http://www.theacc.com/news/game-12-coverage-of-the-2015-acctourney

Watch online here:
http://www.theacc.com/game-center/5489e3e8e4b080a515e530f5

Billy Dat
03-13-2015, 01:18 AM
The fact that our 4 core startera have been stellar, the Jefferson/Jones flip flop has coalesced, Grayson has emerged as a legit rotation producer, and Marshall seems to be raising his game - we have become a better team over the past month - it is insane!

Bring on the Irish.

jv001
03-13-2015, 06:56 AM
The fact that our 4 core startera have been stellar, the Jefferson/Jones flip flop has coalesced, Grayson has emerged as a legit rotation producer, and Marshall seems to be raising his game - we have become a better team over the past month - it is insane!

Bring on the Irish.

I knew Grayson was going to be a good player when Jim Sumner commented that Coach K and the staff really liked him. Man, was Jim right. Grayson has a very high ceiling. He plays much better defense than I imagined and he has the heart of Kyle Singler. I worry about him getting hurt the way he throws his body around. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
03-13-2015, 08:36 AM
I knew Grayson was going to be a good player when Jim Sumner commented that Coach K and the staff really liked him. Man, was Jim right. Grayson has a very high ceiling. He plays much better defense than I imagined and he has the heart of Kyle Singler. I worry about him getting hurt the way he throws his body around. GoDuke!

K called him "fearless" in his post-game PC.

What a fun team to watch.

LGD!

jv001
03-13-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm wondering what Coach K and staff have up their sleeves for defense against ND? We played very well in CIS the last time we played them. I wonder if Coach will do something different this go round. I look for more of the switching defenses. This seems to work pretty well. To me, this season has been one of Coach K's best coaching jobs. Of course, without the players buying into the scheme, it would not have worked. To take a team that's this young and have them playing this well is an accomplishment. Hi Fives for Coach K and staff!! Beat the Irish, GoDuke!

kAzE
03-13-2015, 09:14 AM
ND seems to have gone with a small-ball lineup with Pat Connaughton (sp?) at the 4. I believe we match up extremely well with that lineup, since Justise is pretty much a rich man's Pat Connaughton. I won't presume a win, but I think this team is playing with a high level of focus right now, and I'm looking forward to seeing how we approach this game, especially on defense. Let's get this trophy, it's time to bring order back to the ACC.

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-13-2015, 09:40 AM
Some time ago I commented that our very best teams have always had somebody on them with a streak of mean; somebody with a serious will and determination that served him and his teammates well when the going got tough; somebody who thrived on adversity and even rather enjoyed it. In other words, a Laettner or Singler. Until lately I hadn't seen that in this combo. Everybody, though extremely talented, played happy. That's nice and I love them but, the ones who win the whole thing have a bad dude or two on the roster. This team has some guys you'd be relieved to see along side you in a foxhole.

Maybe, just maybe, this team has enough of what it takes to be the last man standing.

Love 'em all, Ima

Billy Dat
03-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Some time ago I commented that our very best teams have always had somebody on them with a streak of mean; somebody with a serious will and determination that served him and his teammates well when the going got tough; somebody who thrived on adversity and even rather enjoyed it. In other words, a Laettner or Singler. Until lately I hadn't seen that in this combo. Everybody, though extremely talented, played happy. That's nice and I love them but, the ones who win the whole thing have a bad dude or two on the roster. This team has some guys you'd be relieved to see along side you in a foxhole.

Maybe, just maybe, this team has enough of what it takes to be the last man standing.

Love 'em all, Ima

I agree that this is an important trait, and would add that it is important to show the other team that you aren't going to take any cheap shots. I think Thornton had this kind of toughness, but lacked the talent.

One thing I saw along these lines last night was Grayson showing some spunk. One of the Martin twins, after Grayson had made a few plays, tracked him to the rim and blocked his shot out of bounds, and had some choice words for Grayson as he was getting up off the ground. As a TV timeout was called, Martin turned his back and, as Grayson was running back to our bench. he intentionally smashed his shoulder into the back of Martin's shoulder as he ran by in an unsubtle message of, "I don't take that kind of ish from nobody!" Loved it!

NYBri
03-13-2015, 10:18 AM
As a TV timeout was called, Martin turned his back and, as Grayson was running back to our bench. he intentionally smashed his shoulder into the back of Martin's shoulder as he ran by in an unsubtle message of, "I don't take that kind of ish from nobody!" Loved it!

I saw that as well, and Martin chirped at him as Grayson went to the bench.

We are going to love Grayson as he gets more burn, and everyone else is going to hate him. I bet he'll end up as hated almost as much as JJ...won't reach Christian level, but JJ level will be fine with me.

superdave
03-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Versus State last night, Duke kept Okafor in the lane to clog things up rather than having him follow his guy out to the perimeter. Duke's perimeter players concentrated on stopping drive and kicks by staying tight on their man rather than helping into the lane. I think we will see more of this tonight versus ND. ND can only hang with us if they spread us out and play the drive and kick game. We clogged State up and can do it again tonight.

If we can execute on this and avoid backdoor cuts and protect the defensive boards, we will beat ND decisively. Let's hope our guys start the game with a sense of urgency like last night. This is not the time of year for letdowns.

InSpades
03-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Despite having an 18 point halftime lead ND played their starters for 180 of the possible 200 minutes. Their subs accounting for 14, 6 and <1 minutes respectively. Jerian Grant went the full 40. And people say Duke doesn't have enough depth... Hopefully ND has some tired legs tonight!

Excited to see what defensive wrinkles K has in store for tonight. Last night was masterful.

chrishoke
03-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Goose Givens would have killed that defense last night. The foul line area was wide open all night. Every defense has its vulnerabilities. I like that K has developed a number of adjustments to the zone that he can go to if the offense gets too comfortable. That never happened with State.

slower
03-13-2015, 11:18 AM
We are going to love Grayson as he gets more burn, and everyone else is going to hate him. I bet he'll end up as hated almost as much as JJ...won't reach Christian level, but JJ level will be fine with me.

LOVE Grayson. Hope we have him for 4 years. Of course, I'd love to have Justise forever. We need guys with the warrior mentality. Tyus has it on a stealth level, and we'll all be delirious if he stays, of course

If Luke Kennard has the same mentality as Grayson and the two of them ever end up as our starting backcourt, they may become the most hated backcourt duo ever.

F the haters.

Monmouth77
03-13-2015, 11:29 AM
LOVE Grayson. Hope we have him for 4 years. Of course, I'd love to have Justise forever. We need guys with the warrior mentality. Tyus has it on a stealth level, and we'll all be delirious if he stays, of course

If Luke Kennard has the same mentality as Grayson and the two of them ever end up as our starting backcourt, they may become the most hated backcourt duo ever.

F the haters.

I am sorry to take us even further off track (as I know this is a ND preview thread), but with respect to Grayson, one of the emerging aspects of his play over the past few games has been his confident ballhandling and playmaking. He is a natural scoring guard and better suited to play SG, but add his name to the list of guys who could possibly function as primary ballhandlers if Tyus leaves early.

Monmouth77
03-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Versus State last night, Duke kept Okafor in the lane to clog things up rather than having him follow his guy out to the perimeter. Duke's perimeter players concentrated on stopping drive and kicks by staying tight on their man rather than helping into the lane. I think we will see more of this tonight versus ND. ND can only hang with us if they spread us out and play the drive and kick game. We clogged State up and can do it again tonight.

If we can execute on this and avoid backdoor cuts and protect the defensive boards, we will beat ND decisively. Let's hope our guys start the game with a sense of urgency like last night. This is not the time of year for letdowns.

I would add to this that Notre Dame looked stunned by Miami's zone in the second half last night. As Bilas mentioned many times, it stood them up and slowed their offensive flow. Notre Dame also just started missing threes, although hard to say how much of that resulted from not getting better open shots through ball movement.

jv001
03-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Early line is Duke giving ND 6.5 points. Sounds about right. Duke was 7.5 over State if I remember correctly. GoDuke!

Rich
03-13-2015, 11:45 AM

Love 'em all, Ima

Usually players develop into that role as they gain confidence at the collegiate level. I don't know how long we'll have him for, but I think Justise has developed into that "bad dude." We saw some of his nastiness against Carolina with his "crazy legs." I'm not sure I've ever seen him smile, but his intensity and sneer gives me chills!

roywhite
03-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Early line is Duke giving ND 6.5 points. Sounds about right. Duke was 7.5 over State if I remember correctly. GoDuke!

Yeah, just my .02, but I see the range of outcomes as going from a close ND win to a Duke blowout, with a fairly high probability of a Duke win. Just can't see ND stopping Duke; I suppose we could shoot very poorly, but we should be able to generate good quality shot attempts, both inside and outside. With a reasonable Duke conversion rate, ND would have to shoot lights out for the win, and that will be very difficult against our improved defense.

Duke 82 ND 68

Native
03-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Not taking Notre Dame lightly. It's March, and if we weren't getting anyone's best shot before, we definitely are now.

I think State got overconfident before they played us as they had been playing very well. We cannot afford to do the same.

UrinalCake
03-13-2015, 12:29 PM
The ACCT semifinals has the #2, 3, 11, and 18 teams in the country. It's at the level of the Final Four.

COYS
03-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Not taking Notre Dame lightly. It's March, and if we weren't getting anyone's best shot before, we definitely are now.

I think State got overconfident before they played us as they had been playing very well. We cannot afford to do the same.

I agree with all of this. ND is one of the top offensive teams in the country. They are certainly capable of getting hot. Also, while we got some revenge in Cameron, there is no denying that ND also flat-out shot terribly in that game. They unlikely to be so poor a second time around. I'm sure the team will not be taking them lightly.

I think the key will be forcing them to play defense, which, with our potent offense, should (theoretically) be no problem. It's been mentioned before, but I'll say it again. This year's Irish team resembles Duke's team last year in many respects. They can be world-beaters on offense but have not shown the ability to defend, at all. We've got to force them to defend by pushing in transition, moving with and without the ball in the half-court, and (obviously) relentlessly playing off of Jahlil. A bad shot early in the shot clock against ND is particularly egregious because it is almost certain that if we work hard enough on offense, a much better shot can he had after we break down their defense. Luckily, basically everyone on our team is good at taking quality shots, Tyus and Justise are amazing at pushing in transition, and Jahlil is the best player on the floor. There is always the potential that the game becomes a shoot-out, but I think we match up well with them. As long as we remain committed to keeping the Irish on their heels, defensively, I think we stand a good chance of coming out on top.

David Bunkley
03-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Notre Dame scares me because they are generally very good at one thing we have been pretty bad at all year: they can space the floor with really good shooters. Now they weren't able to do this in CIS, but not many people HAVE had success there, either. Tonight is a key game. I think we have to win this game to be a 1-seed, regardless of what may happen tomorrow.

That being said, I think our smaller line-up goes a long way towards stopping their shooters, while also generating more offense than our bigger line-up (unless Marshall goes all Eye of the Tiger again).

#GODUKE

Kedsy
03-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Notre Dame scares me because they are generally very good at one thing we have been pretty bad at all year: they can space the floor with really good shooters. Now they weren't able to do this in CIS, but not many people HAVE had success there, either. Tonight is a key game. I think we have to win this game to be a 1-seed, regardless of what may happen tomorrow.

The bolded part of your comment intrigued me, so I looked into it. And you're right, only 3 out of 16 opponents in Cameron this season have shot better than 33% from three-point range:

Army: 7-16 (43.8%)
Miami: 10-20 (50.0%)
Georgia Tech: 8-11 (72.7%)

Interestingly enough, on the road almost everyone lights us up, 7 of our 11 road opponents this season have shot better than 33% from three (and 6 of those 7 shot better than 42%):

@Wisconsin: 9-21 (42.9%)
@NCSU: 10-16 (62.5%)
@Notre Dame: 8-18 (44.4%)
@Florida State: 7-14 (50.0%)
@Syracuse: 8-22 (36.4%)
@Virginia Tech: 12-22 (54.5%)
@UNC: 8-16 (50.0%)

Even more interestingly, given our venues for the rest of the season, out of 5 neutral site games this season, the best three-point shooting performance we've faced was last night against NC State:

Michigan State: 5-20 (25.0%)
Temple: 1-12 (8.3%)
Stanford: 3-14 (21.4%)
UConn: 3-12 (25.0%)
NCSU: 5-18 (27.8%)

Overall, neutral site opponents have shot only 22.3% against us on their three-point attempts.

Hopefully that last trend continues for the rest of the season.

Troublemaker
03-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Time to go back to m2m? Brey is expecting Duke to zone (http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/notre-dame-duke-preview-031315):

Coach Mike Brey noted that his squad struggled against Miami's zone defense and realizes Notre Dame needs to be much better against Duke, which frustrated N.C. State with a zone.

"That had to be the best (the Blue Devils) played when we saw them in Durham," Brey said. "They're playing really well now. We're going to have to attack the zone. That's something that they've evolved into and we're going to have to be good against that."

Seriously, though. The 3-2 zone that Miami used will be tougher for Duke to pull off. Jahlil isn't going to be able to cover the corners as well as Jekiri.

superdave
03-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Even more interestingly, given our venues for the rest of the season, out of 5 neutral site games this season, the best three-point shooting performance we've faced was last night against NC State:

Michigan State: 5-20 (25.0%)
Temple: 1-12 (8.3%)
Stanford: 3-14 (21.4%)
UConn: 3-12 (25.0%)
NCSU: 5-18 (27.8%)

Overall, neutral site opponents have shot only 22.3% against us on their three-point attempts.

Hopefully that last trend continues for the rest of the season.

One of the things to note about neutral sites is they tend to be larger stadiums with higher ceilings, strange lights and sight lines. Here is a KenPom blog post on the topic: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/the_dome_effect_on_three_point_shooting

I like Coach K's ability gameplan for staying on 3-point shooters and not helping off of them. I just hope we execute and keep the intensity up.

roywhite
03-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Another episode of my favorite show coming on tonight. Can't wait.

Kedsy
03-13-2015, 04:07 PM
One of the things to note about neutral sites is they tend to be larger stadiums with higher ceilings, strange lights and sight lines. Here is a KenPom blog post on the topic: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/the_dome_effect_on_three_point_shooting

I like Coach K's ability gameplan for staying on 3-point shooters and not helping off of them. I just hope we execute and keep the intensity up.

OK, but in our five neutral site games, while our opponents have shot 22.3% from three, Duke has shot 35.1%. Lower than our overall average (39.1%), but not nearly as big a difference as in our opponents overall three-point shooting average against us (32.1%) vs. their average in the neutral site games against us.

I think a possible alternative explanation is that our team rises to the occasion more in neutral games (as well as big road games -- there were only four out of 11 road games where our opponents shot poorly from three, but three of those four were Louisville, Virginia, and St. John's (1K win)). I would guess a similar rationale to the rematch hypothesis would apply.

superdave
03-13-2015, 04:15 PM
OK, but in our five neutral site games, while our opponents have shot 22.3% from three, Duke has shot 35.1%. Lower than our overall average (39.1%), but not nearly as big a difference as in our opponents overall three-point shooting average against us (32.1%) vs. their average in the neutral site games against us.

I think a possible alternative explanation is that our team rises to the occasion more in neutral games (as well as big road games -- there were only four out of 11 road games where our opponents shot poorly from three, but three of those four were Louisville, Virginia, and St. John's (1K win)). I would guess a similar rationale to the rematch hypothesis would apply.

There's also a pretty big difference between a neutral site like Greensboro or MSG that is a basketball arena and a neutral site like Cowboys Stadium, Tropicana Field or Lucas Oil Stadium that are football stadiums.

After warmups and the first couple of minutes of action, the better players will play their game while the others will tighten up. Our guys have consistently stepped up.

-jk
03-13-2015, 06:24 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

stillcrazie
03-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Usually players develop into that role as they gain confidence at the collegiate level. I don't know how long we'll have him for, but I think Justise has developed into that "bad dude." We saw some of his nastiness against Carolina with his "crazy legs." I'm not sure I've ever seen him smile, but his intensity and sneer gives me chills!

Justise is absolutely the nastiest guy on the team. Quinn has the best sneer, and Tyus does not give a @#$%. Marshall wins for most determined face. To me, Grayson is too boyish to be accused of nastiness, even if he did bump one of the Martins last night. I think Kennard may be a little cockier and end up more hated than Grayson, but it will be interesting to see.

Karl Beem
03-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Nothing can be sweeter than beating Caroliner - THREE TIMES.

Troublemaker
03-13-2015, 09:36 PM
UVA fans in the arena will be a bit subdued, but the Carolina fans are going to be big-time ND supporters now. Probably won't be close to a neutral crowd.

I don't think our team will let it get to them.

riverside6
03-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Notre Dame, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/notre-dame-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-3132015-930-pm

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Let's go boys

subzero02
03-13-2015, 09:44 PM
We are now favored by 9... I would've taken Duke at -6.5. I really like our chances tonight. Coach K has this team very focused and tangibly confident right now.

duketaylor
03-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Why won't Oak hustle downcourt and play D, as in contest shots? Don't get that.

jipops
03-13-2015, 10:01 PM
This is not going to be like last night. Bad turnovers early. We're not sharp. And ND has little trouble scoring at the rim.

_Gary
03-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Why won't Oak hustle downcourt and play D, as in contest shots? Don't get that.

He's hurt, I'm telling you guys. He simply hasn't been anywhere close to the same player I saw before the injury against UNC. It's really sad and depressing to me, because I don't think we have any shot at an NCAA title with him being less than 100%.

jipops
03-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Did State just put on Duke uni's? No ball movement.

subzero02
03-13-2015, 10:06 PM
We couldn't be flatter... Winslow needs a fire lit under his butt... Actually, everyone on the court could use that

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:08 PM
World's fastest held ball call there.

jipops
We couldn't be flatter... Winslow needs a fire lit under his butt... Actually, everyone the court could use that

This almost ALWAYS happens after being hot the previous game. Should have seen this coming. I don't know if this team has the maturity level to focus after a game like last night.

uh_no
we're playing really good half court D....but that's about it....couple times they've had to force it with 1 left on the clock

turnovers->transition points
no passing->"black hole" drives->one and done

lets move the ball with purpose rather than dribble around before taking an ill advised shot on the drive....

rsvman
03-13-2015, 10:09 PM
We need to start playing with purpose.

ChrisP
03-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Ugh, hate these late game starts. Yeah, I know ND had the same start time but I still hate the late night game

gurufrisbee
03-13-2015, 10:10 PM
I was about to say how crazy it is Allen got called for standing with arms up with Notre Dame has mugged us several times, but we're doing basically everything so poorly right now I don't have it in me.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:11 PM
I was about to say how crazy it is Allen got called for standing with arms up with Notre Dame has mugged us several times, but we're doing basically everything so poorly right now I don't have it in me.

I noticed the same.

Auguste had an arm bar on Okafor several times.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:12 PM
And another touch foul on Duke

uh_no
03-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Stop taking bad shots without any attempt to move the ball!

gurufrisbee
03-13-2015, 10:14 PM
And another touch foul on Duke

If they are calling touch fouls it needs to go BOTH WAYS! What a bunch of garbage.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:16 PM
"Eh I don't wanna call a foul on Auguste. Jump ball!"

rsvman
03-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Can't blame what's happening right now on the refs. There's no defense at all.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 10:17 PM
I wonder if we are gonna show up here.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Can't blame what's happening right now on the refs. There's no defense at all.

as bad as our defense has looked, it's really the offense right now.....13 points in 13 minutes? aint gonna cut it against one of the top offenses in the country.

barjwr
And Colson, a reserve freshman, is playing out of his mind. Figures.

subzero02
If we were better at feeding the post and making timely entry passes, Okafor would average 5 more points a game. I am tired of having to watch him back his man down one step in from the 3 point line

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:21 PM
Finally called one on Auguste

MPandolfi
03-13-2015, 10:23 PM
I can't recall ever seeing so many and 1's.

CDu
03-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Just haven't shown up to play. Embarrassingly bad start.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 10:24 PM

no stopping penetration. we've finally switched to zone.

barjwr
03-13-2015, 10:27 PM
If we're going to foul this much, we need to get our money's worth and not let them score.

CDu
Good lord is Okafor bad defensively.

It is like we decided we had won the tournament after last night.

_Gary
How many and-ones are we going to give up tonight? Seems like this is at least the 4th one they've gotten in this first half.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
We have to move our feet on D or we lose big

subzero02
03-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Notre Dame... Zero 3 pointers... 25,925 3-point play opportunities

gurufrisbee
It's a really tough call which is pissing me off more - that we're playing so horribly or that the reffing is so incredibly bad just for us.

barjwr
It's like these are completely different players. Winslow looks like some junior high kid out there.

NYBri
This is a script we haven't seen since the end of January.

Billy Dat

Me either. I thought we had moved past looking this bad on either end, let alone both ends, but as bad as the offense has been, the defense, if you can call it that, looks 10x worse. We look exactly like we did during the Miami game....worse actually.

KandG
This is why some folks doubt this team can get to the Final Four or past the sweet 16, let alone playing for a championship. So much talent, but so young and unable to focus for more than a game at a time.

Have loved watching them all season, but just don't know what to believe when I watch a display this bad.

CDu
03-13-2015, 10:29 PM
It's a really tough call which is pissing me off more - that we're playing so horribly or that the reffing is so incredibly bad just for us.

The reffing isn't that bad. We are just playing that badly. And Colson is having a career night.

rsvman
Anybody have any idea what is going on?

_Gary
Perhaps many of the regulars here don't want to say it out loud in hopes that if you don't admit it it's not real, but I still think Okafor is playing more hurt than we know. He's picked it up since early on, but he's just not himself. That's not the reason we are losing, but it won't help us in the NCAA's if he can't get back to normal by then. We need him at full strength to make a serious run at the title.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 10:30 PM
The reffing isn't that bad. We are just playing that badly. And Colson is having a career night.

haven't you been on the board all season? the refs are always biased for the other team

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Duke's 3 point defense has been outstanding.

g-money
03-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Just haven't shown up to play. Embarrassingly bad start.

I think it's probable that the beat down we gave ND in Durham has led to overconfidence and a lack of intensity. A total jekyll and hyde performance relative to last night.

Is it fair to attribute this to our youth? At this point in the season it's hard to buy this as an excuse.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Perhaps many of the regulars here don't want to say it out loud in hopes that if you don't admit it it's not real, but I still think Okafor is playing more hurt than we know. He's picked it up since early on, but he's just not himself. That's not the reason we are losing, but it won't help us in the NCAA's if he can't get back to normal by then. We need him at full strength to make a serious run at the title.

Yea that's why he's leading the team in scoring right now.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:32 PM
What's Duke's record on revenge-revenge return games?

uh_no
03-13-2015, 10:33 PM
What's Duke's record on revenge-revenge return games?

looking to be about 0-1....

_Gary
03-13-2015, 10:33 PM

So you think he's fine then? Okay.

Devilwin
03-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Who are these guys???

uh_no

what?

it's possible for him to be playing hurt, but he's clearly not the reason we're not scoring

FerryFor50

Yep. No limp. He has always been slow and hasn't really been much of a leaper.

75Crazie
03-13-2015, 10:35 PM
ESPN had a close-up of K early in the game, maybe 5-7 minutes in, and it was easy to lip-read him: "Nobody wants to play".

_Gary
03-13-2015, 10:35 PM
what?

it's possible for him to be playing hurt, but he's clearly not the reason we're not scoring

Agreed. I said as much.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:36 PM
All things considered, bring down 15 not awful

_Gary
03-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Yep. No limp. He has always been slow and hasn't really been much of a leaper.

Then one of us is very wrong, because my eyes tell me he hadn't been the same player physically since he got hurt. He's still great, but clearly hurt.

Coballs
03-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Ummmmm, as some of you like to say, Next play?

jipops
03-13-2015, 10:38 PM
we're playing really good half court D....

You watching the ND game in Cameron on dvr?

Billy Dat
03-13-2015, 10:38 PM

Yeah man, he's the only reason the game isn't over, even though he stinks on D tonight.

That last 3 for them was a dagger...damn.

This ND team was up 18 on Miami at the half last night and they coughed it up.

We aren't dead yet, especially considering the comebacks we've had, but our defense is so pathetic.

It'll be a great one if we can make a game of this...that's all I got. Very disappointing first half.

TruBlu
03-13-2015, 10:39 PM
They need to have some heavy duty paint on the wall in the Duke locker room. K needs to lay down the law. No effort, no focus so far.

vrob90
Painful to watch.

davekay1971

Next half.

rsvman

How about "next half"?

uh_no
we're 44 points per 100 posessions off where we ought to be....

barjwr
He's still great, but clearly hurt.

Which matters not at all tonight, as he could be Wilt Chamberlain at 100% and we'd still be getting killed. What a lousy effort.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
K will send a message by executing three guys at halftime. Survivors better bring the mojo.

jipops
03-13-2015, 10:40 PM

But that last 3 was killer. No momentum gained going in to halftime.

Just a terrible effort on both ends. No effort at all actually.

CDu

Well, it ain't good either. We are going to have to have another one of those "best half of the season" halves to play tomorrow.

Man, the lack of consistent focus of this team is maddening. You would hope that tournament time would be enough to get their attention, but clearly not. It certainly diesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about our NCAA chances.

ChrisP
I was worried ND would be out for blood tonight after the Cameron beatdown a few weeks ago :(

gurufrisbee
03-13-2015, 10:41 PM
haven't you been on the board all season? the refs are always biased for the other team

I don't think bad reffing has actually cost us any game this season, but there have been some games with really poor officiating.

Tonight would be one of them - we're getting mugged with no call regularly and they are getting and-ones all over from touch fouls. But it still wouldn't matter even if it was good officiating because we're playing terrible as well.

If we're going to play lousy and get hosed by the refs, I'm glad it's against someone other than Carolina.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:41 PM
Then one of us is very wrong, because my eyes tell me he hadn't been the same player physically since he got hurt. He's still great, but clearly hurt.

So what about how he is moving or playing makes you think he's clearly hurt? He's never been quick or springy.

barjwr
03-13-2015, 10:42 PM
The only silver lining about our NCAA outlook is that ND is better than essentially all the teams we'd meet until the Elite 8.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 10:43 PM
I don't think bad reffing has actually cost us any game this season, but there have been some games with really poor officiating.

Tonight would be one of them - we're getting mugged with no call regularly and they are getting and-ones all over from touch fouls. But it still wouldn't matter even if it was good officiating because we're playing terrible as well.

If we're going to play lousy and get hosed by the refs, I'm glad it's against someone other than Carolina.

you're wearing some really dark blue glasses if you think the refs are the reason we're 15 out

anyway, we've generally played poor coming out of the half this season....makes me skeptical that we'll get back in this one...but we'll see.

ChrisP
03-13-2015, 10:43 PM
But that last 3 was killer. No momentum gained going in to halftime.

Just a terrible effort on both ends. No effort at all actually.

Agreed. Had the potential to make it a 9 point game at half if we'd gotten a stop. I knew that 3 was going in as soon as it left the guy's hand - just been that kinda game.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Well, it ain't good either. We are going to have to have another one of those "best half of the season" halves to play tomorrow.

Man, the lack of consistent focus of this team is maddening. You would hope that tournament time would be enough to get their attention, but clearly not. It certainly diesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about our NCAA chances.

The first half smelled like overconfidence that transmorphed into shell shock.

I think the 2nd half will be better but will it be enough to make up 15? We've seen crazier things...

_Gary
03-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Which matters not at all tonight, as he could be Wilt Chamberlain at 100% and we'd still be getting killed. What a lousy effort.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. Wilt at 100% in his prime might have allowed us to be a tad closer than we are right now. But since that's fantasy I'll go no further.

ND is just flat out beating us to the ball tonight. We are a step slow as a team this evening. We can still make a game of this though. No doubt we are capable of coming back and winning. But I won't be crying if we lose and don't play again until next Friday as long as we are still a #1 seed with a decent draw. I personally think a week off for Oak and everyone else wouldn't be the worst thing in the world right now.

Billy Dat
03-13-2015, 10:45 PM
These players have earned the benefit of the doubt this season. I am trying to go into pre-second half optimism mode.

KandG
This game so far is why people go all Chicken Little when we struggle against the likes of VT. It's easy to overlook flaws in execution and focus when talent allows you to squeak by bad teams. But better teams (and better coached teams) in a tournament setting just expose the gaping lapses displayed so far.

I think there's a reasonable comeback possible in the second half. But nobody can be encouraged by ND dominating so thoroughly having made only one 3 pointer, and with acres of space in the paint against whatever defense Duke throws out there.

gurufrisbee
you're wearing some really dark blue glasses if you think the refs are the reason we're 15 out

anyway, we've generally played poor coming out of the half this season....makes me skeptical that we'll get back in this one...but we'll see.

Try reading. It will help.

I feel like there is a good chance we can come back at least some. The chances we keep playing that poorly all game would be low. But the hole may already be dug too deep against a team this good.

_Gary
03-13-2015, 10:47 PM
So what about how he is moving or playing makes you think he's clearly hurt? He's never been quick or springy.

I think he's a bit tentative from time to time on both ends of the court. I realize he's never been "jump out of the gym athletic", but he just looks like he's lost a little something physically to me since the injury.

Billy Dat
03-13-2015, 10:50 PM
These really late starts can also sometimes lead young teams to come out flat and beat looking - too much sitting around all day. Of course, the National Title game tips at around 9:20PM. A little halftime cream and clear and we'll be ready to mount this comeback.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:51 PM
I think he's a bit tentative from time to time on both ends of the court. I realize he's never been "jump out of the gym athletic", but he just looks like he's lost a little something physically to me since the injury.

Before the injury he wasn't aggressive on D.

On O I think it has more to do with the following:

1) teams allowed to be overly physical
2) the offensive fouls he's picked up playing normal
3) the travel calls on legit post moves
4) the constant double teams
5) probably more of not wanting to get hurt again than actually being hurt
6) fatigue - he's played a ton of minutes

He's thinking more now and not just playing.

ChicagoCrazy84
I cant think of a less productive 10 minutes or however many minutes Justice Winslow put in than what he just did in that first half. I don't mean to rag on the kid, but my gosh that was just painful to watch. Turnovers, forcing penetration that was not there, bad defense. If he's not going to contribute like he has been of late, we need Amile to step up.

uh_no
These really late starts can also sometimes lead young teams to come out flat and beat looking - too much sitting around all day. Of course, the National Title game tips at around 9:20PM. A little halftime cream and clear and we'll be ready to mount this comeback.

some of michael's special stuff

azzefkram
03-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Wow... just wow. We look like we're playing with ankle weights on.

gumbomoop
03-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Don't have to win the first 4 minutes by 10 points, but do have to win it. Need to get to only single-digit deficit by 10-minutes.

Atldukie79
03-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Its never over at half time. But it might be 8 minutes in.

Shades of the first NC State and Miami games. Except we have thrown every defense at ND to no effect.

Coballs
03-13-2015, 10:53 PM
The timeout K called when we went down 5-2 was a harbinger of a brutal half of basketball. I'm sure he'll get their attention at halftime, but this hole may be too deep. I think our young players may have been thrown off by the late start to the game, they clearly overlooked ND after the 30 point win, and may have also been guilty of looking ahead to a Saturday night game against UVA or Carolina.

Utley
03-13-2015, 10:54 PM
What is so maddening is the quality of the shots ND got against us.

TruBlu
Oak - 15 pts
Cook - 7 pts
Tyus - 4 pts

rest of team - 0

ChicagoCrazy84

The kid logs a ton of minutes. Last night was great for him because we were playing so well and Marshall was awesome, he got to sit more. Probably why he has seemingly all of our points tonight.

_Gary
03-13-2015, 10:56 PM

I don't disagree with any of that. I just think he's also still feeling the effects of the ankle sprain.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-13-2015, 10:56 PM
The timeout K called when we went down 5-2 was a harbinger of a brutal half of basketball. I'm sure he'll get their attention at halftime, but this hole may be too deep. I think our young players may have been thrown off by the late start to the game, they clearly overlooked ND after the 30 point win, and may have also been guilty of looking ahead to a Saturday night game against UVA or Carolina.

I don't understand how you can overlook a top 10 team. Not saying you're wrong, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I think they'll play a good 2nd half but overcoming 15 pts against this team...tall task.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:57 PM
That last foul on Tyus on the perimeter... Hilarious.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-13-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't disagree with any of that. I just think he's also still feeling the effects of the ankle sprain.

Gary, I feel like you're just beating a dead horse with the Jahlil injury. I think he's fine.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't understand how you can overlook a top 10 team. Not saying you're wrong, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I think they'll play a good 2nd half but overcoming 15 pts against this team...tall task.

Probably because they waxed them by 30 last time out

sbroc012
03-13-2015, 10:59 PM
The defense is bad yes....but how can you play defense with those type of ticky tacky calls....ridiculous

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:59 PM
Auguste jumps on Okafor's back on the shot. No call!

Coballs
03-13-2015, 11:00 PM

I think it happens when 3 of your starters are freshmen and you beat this same team by 30 last time out.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 11:00 PM
The defense is bad yes....but how can you play defense with those type of ticky tacky calls....ridiculous

by being quicker on the perimeter....something we really haven't been against many teams...and covered it up by switching to zone at times.

NYBri
03-13-2015, 11:02 PM
They are daring Oak to beat them. They are guarding the perimeter and taking the rest of the team out of offensive flow. So what if Oak gets 30...if the rest of the team scores 20.

_Gary
03-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Gary, I feel like you're just beating a dead horse with the Jahlil injury. I think he's fine.

We'll agree to disagree.

Oh, and someone get Jay some glasses on that last foul on Allen. That was a horrible call.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 11:03 PM
ND just beat everyone down the floor.

inexplicable for a defensive rebound under the hoop to turn into a 4-1 layup

BigZ
03-13-2015, 11:03 PM
These refs are awful

gumbomoop
03-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Won the first 4 minutes by 1. Not great, but Jones has 2 FTs coming, I think. Need to win next 4 minutes by 3-5 points.

ETA: Matt makes only 1.

barjwr
03-13-2015, 11:04 PM
What the heck is wrong with Justise tonight? He's just wandering around at the top of the key on offense...

Atldukie79
03-13-2015, 11:05 PM
6 fouls on Duke prior to the TV timeout...stunning. Touch fouls on Tyus and Grayson were awful. ND shoots foul shots well.
We will be playing Kelly before the game is over.

ChrisP
Tyus is awesome but...that pull up three when he could have taken it deep in the lane was a bad decision. Sure, it's great if he makes it, but, psychologically, it was really important we score there. And of course, the quick (missed) three that lead directly to a layup on the other end was just salt in the wound. As great as he is, that was a bad freshman error in judgment.

_Gary
I had no complaints about the calls in the first half, but we've gotten hosed a few times here in the second.

gurufrisbee
I hope all you ref apologists get a big kick when our walk ons are getting called for touch fouls with eight minutes left while getting mugged on the other end.

barjwr
03-13-2015, 11:06 PM
When the haters say "Duke gets all the calls," do they mean that all the calls are ON us?!?

ChicagoCrazy84
03-13-2015, 11:06 PM
These refs are awful

Agreed. Way too ticky tack and it's one sided no question.

ChrisP
03-13-2015, 11:07 PM
Why is Winslow SO tentative all of a sudden in the open court? What happened to the guy who would rip down a board and take it (confidently) coast to coast???

ChicagoCrazy84
03-13-2015, 11:07 PM
Officially in the bonus with 14:38 to play. Just wow...

gurufrisbee
03-13-2015, 11:08 PM
That 34 on the ESPN scoreboard made me laugh. I needed the laugh.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Officially in the bonus with 14:38 to play. Just wow...

we're doing a ton of reaching on the perimeter. they've been consistent that they're gonna call that every time. we haven't adjusted.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Why is Winslow SO tentative all of a sudden in the open court? What happened to the guy who would rip down a board and take it (confidently) coast to coast???

Because he keeps turning it over or getting called for charges

ChrisP

Ok, that was better by Justise!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Feel like we can still do this...

pfrduke
Well, if Justise wants to show back up, we could make something of this. Nice to see him look like himself again.

ChicagoCrazy84
Justice!! Finally!

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:10 PM
we're doing a ton of reaching on the perimeter. they've been consistent that they're gonna call that every time. we haven't adjusted.

How did Grayson reach in with both arms in the air, in legal guarding position and Connaughton pushing off?

uh_no
13-4 run

Billy Dat
We've got life, need to keep getting stops and not foul!

gumbomoop
03-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Won that partial segment by 6. Very good. But our foul problems might kill us. Give them too many freebies.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-13-2015, 11:12 PM
We've got life, need to keep getting stops and not foul!

That's the only thing that scares me. The way the refs are calling this I feel like it's going to be hard to keep them off the line and keep the momentum swing. Hope I'm wrong though.

CDu
03-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Finally playing with intensity! Glad to see Winslow is ready to play now.

Down 8 with over 13 minutes. There is still a chance. Long way to go though.

Billy Dat
03-13-2015, 11:13 PM
We need to keep the lead smaller than the number of minutes left. Then we're in it, let's keep pushing!

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:14 PM
Another missed Auguste foul

ChicagoCrazy84
03-13-2015, 11:14 PM
How was that basket by Jah not an "and 1"??

Emerrick
03-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Well, I broke out the whiskey. Maybe that will help.

Billy Dat
Damn, big buckets by Vastoria and missed opportunities by us to cut it to 7. We need to be close to perfect the rest of the way to come all the way back. We had some good looks at 3 that didn't drop. Our guys have to stay aggressive.

ChicagoCrazy84

Fabulous idea!

jipops
Not looking good. ND has an answer for every swing. Our defense just isn't up to par to make a full comeback.

_Gary
03-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Not feeling it right now. But there's still time.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Damn, big buckets by Vastoria and missed opportunities by us to cut it to 7. We need to be close to perfect the rest of the way to come all the way back. We had some good looks at 3 that didn't drop. Our guys have to stay aggressive.

At least they are fighting.

Lose this one by less than 10 and I think a 1 seed is still in reach.

Get blown out and looking at possible 2.

Channing
03-13-2015, 11:19 PM
ND just not letting my us get close. Need to make to start making some threes to try and come back

downeastdad
03-13-2015, 11:19 PM

I'm about ready to try that, too.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 11:21 PM
ND just not letting my us get close. Need to make to start making some threes to try and come back

need to take some better threes....I can't remember a single inside-out pass for a three....most off the dribble or awkward angled corner shots

ND is in some foul trouble now...auguste with 4, grant with 3. we need to continue to exploit that.

fgb
03-13-2015, 11:21 PM
quin has missed 3 good looks from the arc in a row. he's got to connect on those.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:22 PM
Wow they called that?????

ChrisP
03-13-2015, 11:22 PM
Ugh, bad, bad foul on Okafor there on the 3 pt attempt.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 11:23 PM
also again the guards being behind getting down the court...forced jahlil to jump out on a three, forcing him into a foul.

pfrduke
03-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Wow they called that?????

I mean, it was a foul.

All half it's been two good plays followed by one bad. Which I guess is better than the two bad followed by one good in the first half, but we need more consistency.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:24 PM
I mean, it was a foul.

All half it's been two good plays followed by one bad. Which I guess is better than the two bad followed by one good in the first half, but we need more consistency.

Ball was away. Connaughton had landed. Okafor side stepped. Connaughton just fell down. Was contact but didn't affect the play.

stillcrazie
03-13-2015, 11:25 PM
I need you guys to start believing. I can't do this alone.

LET'S. GO. DUKE!!!!!

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:26 PM
Brey playing stall ball.

Colson gets bail out call.

barjwr
That's a crap call. Colson wasn't touched any more than Justise was on his drive, but ND gets the call.

uh_no
Ball was away. Connaughton had landed. Okafor side stepped. Connaughton just fell down. Was contact but didn't affect the play.

you can't hit the shooter, and he did. I thought it was a foul live, and absent a slow-mo, I'm not sure I'm going to change my mind.

big guy makes contact with a three point shooter as he's landing? That's gonna get called 9/10 times. Okafor did not have body control to not make contact.

ChrisP
03-13-2015, 11:27 PM

LET'S. GO. DUKE!!!!!

I believe but...we GOTTA hit some 3's if we want to put some game pressure on ND.

Billy Dat

LET'S. GO. DUKE!!!!!

It aint over yet. I think ND has taken the air out the ball way too early. We need a couple of breaks, and some 3s to fall. We need to get this under 8 and start putting more game pressure on.

Channing
I don't think there can be any concern with the refs tonight. We are just a step slow on defense. Q and Tyus are playing defense from behind all night.

TruBlu
03-13-2015, 11:28 PM
I believe but...we GOTTA hit some 3's if we want to put some game pressure on ND.

Yep. 1-10 from three so far.

pfrduke
Brey playing stall ball.

Colson gets bail out call.

Marshall can't give that foul. Let Colson take that desperate runner.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Need a few stops and need someone to decide we can score

uh_no
It aint over yet. I think ND has taken the air out the ball way too early. We need a couple of STOPS, and some 3s to fall. We need to get this under 8 and start putting more game pressure on.

fixed that. we can't keep puttering about this 10 point barrier. we've got the offense working better with winslow being much more aggressive, but we're not going to close that gap if we let them into the lane so easily.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:29 PM
you can't hit the shooter, and he did. I thought it was a foul live, and absent a slow-mo, I'm not sure I'm going to change my mind.

big guy makes contact with a three point shooter as he's landing? That's gonna get called 9/10 times. Okafor did not have body control to not make contact.

Bad decision by Okafor for sure. But Connaughton sold it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
So sloppy on offense

Utley
Backcourt 5-19. That's got to change and soon

_Gary
3's have to start falling if we are going to come back. Quinn and Tyus have to heat up for us to win.

Duke79UNLV77
Win or lose, hopefully this game will teach the young guys that as good as you look one night, expect the next team to show up to compete. Quinn knows that, but unfortunately is just off.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-13-2015, 11:30 PM
I don't think there can be any concern with the refs tonight. We are just a step slow on defense. Q and Tyus are playing defense from behind all night.

I agree with your point about Q and Tyus but not having ANY concern is overstated. Refs have been too much a factor in this one for me.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-13-2015, 11:31 PM
Dribble penetration again...just can't stop it.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 11:31 PM
3's have to start falling if we are going to come back. Quinn and Tyus have to heat up for us to win.

not gonna happen if matt takes pull up threes with a hand in your face.

run some offense people. we cut it to 9 with the ball and then someone goes for a homerun play. that's not how you win.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 11:32 PM
I agree with your point about Q and Tyus but not having ANY concern is overstated. Refs have been too much a factor in this one for me.

We haven't been moving our feet to get in position all game. ND is killing us inside. Not the refs.

fgb
03-13-2015, 11:32 PM

i do not believe that we had 7 fouls to their 3 in the first 5 minutes of this half.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Bilas is hilarious.

pfrduke
not gonna happen if matt takes pull up threes with a hand in your face.

run some offense people. we cut it to 9 with the ball and then someone goes for a homerun play. that's not how you win.

This team is so much smarter than they have played tonight. So many missed chances because we haven't made intelligent plays on offense.

jipops
Simply have to hit 3's. We can't get stops.

Duke79UNLV77
i do not believe that we had 7 fouls to their 3 in the first 5 minutes of this half.

If you listen to Bilas, we get every call.

Billy Dat
03-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Down to 7...come on boys...

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:35 PM
Inexplicably this game is not over

jipops
Biggest defensive possession coming up. Could be telling

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Plenty of time... come on

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:36 PM
Bye Auguste. Picks up foul #12

According to Bilas, Jones sold it

downeastdad
03-13-2015, 11:37 PM

Fer sure, we're losing this one all by ourselves, but we'd have a lot closer shot at a comeback with some decent officiating. And Bilas is enjoying this WAY too much.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 11:37 PM
This team is so much smarter than they have played tonight. So many missed chances because we haven't made intelligent plays on offense.

I think that about says it. the defense is about where it should be overall, and has been pretty decent in the second half, given ND's offensive prowess. Sure I think we could have played better on D, but right now it's not the biggest factor.

we're 20 points off on offense though....and so many of them not smart plays. Too many "wrong place wrong time" kind of plays. Quinn had a couple drives into traffic in the first half, matt had the bad shot. grayson had an ill advised drive that ended up being a TO. The real relevatino this half, IMO has been justice. Jah has continued to be great, but justice has turned it on. he did it in UNC round 1, and he's doing it tonight.

every minute justice. every minute.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 11:38 PM
Plenty of time. Terrible game but...

barjwr
Bilas is hilarious.

That's one word for it....

Billy Dat
Man, ND being in the bonus is killing us, especially when the game is being unpredictably called. Still, we're right in this.

ChrisP
03-13-2015, 11:39 PM
Tough call on Matt J there. Probably was a foul but...man that would have been nice to get a steal and easy hoop there!

Channing
03-13-2015, 11:39 PM
If anything the refs have been bad both ways. This is 100 percent self inflicted and we are going to have to dig ourselves out ... Grind and get back to even. Get stops on d

fgb
03-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Man, ND being in the bonus is killing us, especially when the game is being unpredictably called. Still, we're right in this.

at this point in the game, the calls are pretty predictable.

Duke79UNLV77
03-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Need them to make some plays at both ends to complete the comeback.

_Gary
03-13-2015, 11:41 PM
Bilas is hilarious.

He has been in rare form tonight in calling it pretty badly. Reminds me of Jay from about five or six years ago. He's been better until tonight.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 11:41 PM
Plenty of time. Terrible game but...
the second half has actually been pretty inspired overall..

first half
duke 26/33 = 78
ND 41/34 = 121

second half
duke 38/27 = 141
ND 25/24 = 104

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Bilas is comic genius

ChrisP
03-13-2015, 11:43 PM
OMG, FINALLY cut it to 4 and turn it over??? Are you freakin' kidding me??

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Come on Jah......

pfrduke
Dear Jay Bilas

SHUT THE WANKERIZER UP

Regards,

FerryFor50
No call for diving at Winslow's legs and tripping him, killing a break chance?

ChrisP
03-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Going to be Hack-A-Jah from here on out. Would be REALLY smart of him to play "decoy" and find open shooters now.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Now is the time, Jah

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Going to be Hack-A-Jah from here on out. Would be REALLY smart of him to play "decoy" and find open shooters now.

Would be a great time for Okafor to find his stroke

g-money
03-13-2015, 11:46 PM
Free throws.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Sigh. Miracle fadeaway then bad turnover.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 11:47 PM
good game folks. get it down to 4, miss free throws, give up a 2 and then turn it over. epitomizes the game.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:48 PM
Thought you couldn't make contact with a jump shooter? Maybe Quinn should have sold it.

pfrduke
Well, I suppose Quinn was due for a bad game - better here than in a week or so.

jipops
Well, I guess you can tell it's tourney time.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Too many mistakes. Too many missed free throws.

ChrisP
Sigh. Miracle fadeaway then bad turnover.

Reminded me of the first game when Grant hit that fadeaway at the end of the shot clock :mad:

uh_no
Well, I suppose Quinn was due for a bad game - better here than in a week or so.

his 3 point % off the dribble must be at least 10% below when he gets a step in pass

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Thought you couldn't make contact with a jump shooter? Maybe Quinn should have sold it.

should have kicked the leg

jipops
The cheats a lock to win this thing. The Irish won't be able to hit anything tomorrow.

ChrisP
good game folks. get it down to 4, miss free throws, give up a 2 and then turn it over. epitomizes the game.

Yep. We didn't deserve to win tonight by ANY stretch.

Channing
Well, we knew a game would come where, as good as Okafor is, he would cost us at the line in a tight game. Hope we got it out of our system now. Plus hat was a ridiculous shot by connoighton.

Inspired come back in last ten minutes just not enough gas.

downeastdad

Wouldn't bother me if Bilas wasn't enjoying it so much. On to the NCAA.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Reminded me of the first game when Grant hit that fadeaway at the end of the shot clock :mad:

Yep. But 15 point deficit was too much.

At least the loss was in ACCs and not NCAAs.

But you know ND will barf in the gutter tomorrow.